Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler, Speculation and Social Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
22 hours ago, ginger90 said:

No, there’s no confusion.  Look up David Mitchell Thompson Muay Thai. His first tournament was in 2022. It’s Aspyn’s husband, his first name is David. There’s also David Mitchell and a Mitch Thompson who are fighters.

Yes, you’re right, Aspyn’s husband has indeed taken up Muay Thai. It’s on his Insta if you want to check it out. He really doesn’t seem like the type to me. I always found him a bit of a dork and hated his “Amish-beard”…. I just can’t wrap my head around it. He just doesn’t look the part to me.

At least it’s not actual cage fighting/free fighting (Mitch seems a MT ring fighter, which is a big difference)

Edited by LilyD
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Mainly that Douchie was a douchecanoe when they were growing up and how he changed when Sobbyn came on the scene.  How he threw over the OG 13 kids and now only has "fillings" for Sobbyn's kids...  It was kinda what we've all been thinking.  Just curious as to why NOW??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 4
6 minutes ago, goofygirl said:

Mainly that Douchie was a douchecanoe when they were growing up and how he changed when Sobbyn came on the scene.  How he threw over the OG 13 kids and now only has "fillings" for Sobbyn's kids...  It was kinda what we've all been thinking.  Just curious as to why NOW??

Trying to drum up interest for a new season???

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, goofygirl said:

Yes.  It's all on Patreon.  She just let it rip!

Which entry was it? I haven't watched recently, and she's done a few:

1. "Look Back: How it Started ", Watch Party ! (5 days ago)
  2. Big Love Ep. 2 : Mykelti Reacts (2 days ago)
  3. Q & A aka Chill Session (Yesterday)
  4. Q and A Live ! (Today)
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Since few of us have Patreon, can you please summarize?

Thanks.  I was going to ask "What is Patreon?" but I didn't want to look like a you know what.....LOL 😉

Actually I do know what Patreon is, but I don't belong.  I guess there's hope for me yet.

Is any of it on YouTube?  I know she has a channel there.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, goofygirl said:

Just curious as to why NOW??

Because he's a child and his feelings are hurt that the OG3 have left him. And since he really can't do anything to hurt THEM anymore, he's going to hurt the people closest to the ex-wives, namely all of their children (the OG13). 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
(edited)
On 2/8/2024 at 3:36 PM, Sandy W said:

I went back to the Reddit site looking for the clip I saw. Could not find it and I agree, the Twizzler Mitch Thompson looks nothing like Aspyn's husband.

The clip I saw (dreamed?) was definitely Aspyn's Mitch and as I recall, the camera panned to Aspyn in the audience.

If anyone else saw what I did, please chime in. Hate to think I could have dreamed such a wild scene.

Here’s a link to his Instagram page and there are some photos of him training and fighting in a tournament almost two years ago……. https://www.instagram.com/mitchellton13/?hl=en

Edited by endure
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Absolom said:

I believe it's on her Patreon.  I've seen clips here and there from it.  What I saw was how bad Kody was/is.

Wow wait… is Kootie’s biggest OG13 cheerleader being mean about daddy dearest?? Where does that come from?

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Is any of it on YouTube?  I know she has a channel there.

She’s not active on YouTube. She has one short on it, and it’s from TikTok.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
12 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

She’s not active on YouTube. She has one short on it, and it’s from TikTok.

Sorry I searched for her and saw shorts of her ranting but on closer inspection they were clips lifted from her Patreon by other YouTubers and summarized and interpreted by them.  Some of them were on the "TuffTopic" Channel.

Like this one from a couple of weeks ago:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 1

Mykelti has gone back and forth on Kody.  She was his biggest cheerleader and the supposed bridge between the OG family and Robyn's brood.  Sounds like Kody turned on her like we all thought he would eventually.  Maybe she and Taco Tony needed more "help" (there supposed reason for telling Kody and Robyn about the twins before Christine) and Kody and Robyn are tapped out.

• Like 6
On 2/9/2024 at 3:04 PM, LilyD said:

Yes, you’re right, Aspyn’s husband has indeed taken up Muay Thai. It’s on his Insta if you want to check it out. He really doesn’t seem like the type to me. I always found him a bit of a dork and hated his “Amish-beard”…. I just can’t wrap my head around it. He just doesn’t look the part to me.

At least it’s not actual cage fighting/free fighting (Mitch seems a MT ring fighter, which is a big difference)

I'm just as surprised as you are. I never thought he would do anything like this, he doesn't look the part at all. I'm not a fan of his beard either. When I first saw him, I thought Aspyn could do so much better, and I wondered what she saw in him, but if he treats her good and is a good person than that's more important than looks.

• Like 8
On 2/11/2024 at 8:56 AM, LilyD said:

Wow wait… is Kootie’s biggest OG13 cheerleader being mean about daddy dearest?? Where does that come from?

A week or two ago she posted a photo of her kids with a motorized toy car on instagram (I think), thanking "Grandpa" and tagging DAVID. I figured that signaled a MAJOR shift in the family tectonic plates.

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6
On 2/10/2024 at 11:58 AM, goofygirl said:

When you get a chance, will you please just tell me which of Mykelti's Patreon posts this was in. I'm never going to catch up with all of them, but I'd like to see this one.

• Like 2
On 2/12/2024 at 10:41 AM, General Days said:

When you get a chance, will you please just tell me which of Mykelti's Patreon posts this was in. I'm never going to catch up with all of them, but I'd like to see this one.

It's actually from a you tube channel called"Senior Perspectives" and the lady doing this channel subscribes to Mykelti's Patreon.  Not sure which ONE exactly but it's probably from about a week or so ago.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
56 minutes ago, Denize said:

Mitch's longer hair and interest in Muay Thai makes me wonder if he has joined his local Manosphere.

Ugh, I hope not!  Aspyn doesn't deserve that (but neither did Christine with Kootie.)

• Like 5
16 hours ago, goofygirl said:

It's actually from a you tube channel called"Senior Perspectives" and the lady doing this channel subscribes to Mykelti's Patreon.  Not sure which ONE exactly but it's probably from about a week or so ago.  Hope this helps!

I watch her as well!  I like the clips she sticks in between the Brown stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

History in sixtie posted a tik tok yesterday from when Robyn had those awful shirts made for the race janelle was doing.   My word both Robyn and kootie were awful.  Robyn for acting a like a server who is soooo stressed but not actually doing anything.   And kootie for setting his pace and leaving janelle behind.     Good for gabe and Savannah for going back to her and great on janelle for having the gumption to do it 

• Like 13
  • Useful 1
On 3/14/2024 at 9:07 PM, Mod-Tranquilizer said:

General News and Information 2024 only.

Hi, @Mod-Tranquilizer. I take it that you are the new moderator for this forum. Welcome! We're a longstanding and pretty decent group. I hope this is a pleasant forum for you to moderate.

I would normally ask you something like this in a direct message. I'm asking here instead, because it has been extra quiet. The current hush makes me think other people could be wondering the same things I'm wondering. I figured if I asked you publicly, it might spare you from answering multiple times, and might stop us from using the thread in someway that is contrary to your vision.

When you put "General News and Information 2024 only" in your post, what does that mean for us, content-wise?

Does it mean we can only post links to actual news articles, or is information from social media acceptable, too? 

Are we allowed to speculate and discuss, or is this now only a thread for sharing a news item of some sort?

I can't speak for Rabbit Hutch. I haven't discussed this with them, but when they started this thread, my take on it was that it was a space to discuss what we think might or should be the fate of the Sister Wives TV series, in the wake of Garrison's passing.

I also thought that part of the idea was so that we could leave the Garrison thread as a proper tribute to him, and not overrun it with our opinions about his parents, the producers, the network, the ethics of reality TV shows involving kids, and the the like. 

Will that kind of conversation be okay with you, or would you prefer different boundaries? Please let us know.

• Like 16

I don’t understand the difference between this thread and the spoilers, social media and speculation thread, or  the various threads for individual Browns or the  kids threads.  I do understand the difference between this thread and Garrison’s thread. 

• Like 10
51 minutes ago, General Days said:

Hi, @Mod-Tranquilizer. I take it that you are the new moderator for this forum. Welcome! We're a longstanding and pretty decent group. I hope this is a pleasant forum for you to moderate.

I would normally ask you something like this in a direct message. I'm asking here instead, because it has been extra quiet. The current hush makes me think other people could be wondering the same things I'm wondering. I figured if I asked you publicly, it might spare you from answering multiple times, and might stop us from using the thread in someway that is contrary to your vision.

When you put "General News and Information 2024 only" in your post, what does that mean for us, content-wise?

Does it mean we can only post links to actual news articles, or is information from social media acceptable, too? 

Are we allowed to speculate and discuss, or is this now only a thread for sharing a news item of some sort?

I can't speak for Rabbit Hutch. I haven't discussed this with them, but when they started this thread, my take on it was that it was a space to discuss what we think might or should be the fate of the Sister Wives TV series, in the wake of Garrison's passing.

I also thought that part of the idea was so that we could leave the Garrison thread as a proper tribute to him, and not overrun it with our opinions about his parents, the producers, the network, the ethics of reality TV shows involving kids, and the the like. 

Will that kind of conversation be okay with you, or would you prefer different boundaries? Please let us know.

Thanks for asking @General Days

We're no longer following the "turfs" system where moderators were assigned certain forums so no I'm not the Mod for this forum, all Mods will work together and help with the day to day function of this forum and all others.

I'd like to thank @Rabbit Hutch for recognizing the need for a thread to discuss the future of the Sister Wives TV series, any news, social media or information about the police investigation in the wake of Garrison's passing.

I see no problem with "intelligent and thoughtful speculation, opinions about his parents, the producers, the network, the ethics of reality TV shows involving kids, and the like"

Of course like any active discussion of this sort I can't foresee every possible link or opinion that members might choose to share, links and comments can sometimes go too far, are nasty in nature, are completely baseless or from questionable sources, if you feel something has crossed a line, is in bad taste or is without value and adds nothing to a thoughtful and polite discussion please feel free to report and a Mod will be happy to review the post and take action if necessary.

I'm trying to be as lenient as possible but added the "2024 only" to hopefully keep the discussion in this thread mainly centered on events that happened since the new year or are pertinent to current events, the future of the show and the passing of Garrison.

If problems arise and we need to make adjustments as we go along we will.

The Robert Garrison Brown - RIP thread is for members to share condolences and other kind thoughts and memories that honor the young man, as you said a "proper tribute thread"

I hope that addresses your concerns.

Happy posting,

Mod-Tranquilizer

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, suomi said:

A bland reality TV show about polygamy was devastated by suicide. Was the child star’s trauma on clear display?

Over 18 seasons Sister Wives has shifted from the mundane to tragic, and it’s left viewers wondering about their complicity

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/mar/20/sister-wives-death-tlc-reality-show-ethics

It is an interesting read but mischaracterizes Robyn as the only sister wife to still have children who are underage. Christine has Truely at home…

• Like 14
(edited)

I didn't care for that Scaachi Koul piece, even beyond the factual inaccuracies (although she failed there, too). Somewhere between Alberta and New York, Koul forgot the kicker in the tagline of her old Hazlitt column: "From conflicts and confrontations both institutional and personal, to managing your own privilege without being a dick..."

There is a way to examine and even critique the genre, as well as this specific show (and fandom), without condescension. If you want an audience to consider whether a show should go on, don't begin by essentially telling that audience that they are dull and tasteless for having watched.

The first rule of writing about guilty pleasure TV: drop all pretension because you, dear writer, love some stupid shit, too. It may not be a TV show, but there's something in your pile of pleasing pretties that would make the uninitiated roll their eyes at you. Don't pontificate about McDonald's from a Burger King booth bearing your ass print.

Even as I wrote the above, a little voice tried to tell me that the less said about Koul's snobbery the better. I decided to ignore that voice and let the intrusive thought take a victory lap.

Carpeting! Suburban tedium! What was the purpose behind Koul's framing? How precious does she imagine her readership to be? Had the Browns always had wealth, social status, sophistication (and less pedestrian floor coverings, apparently), would that have made the show less "boring"? (By the way — "Boring"? What vapid criticism.) Or perhaps it was that the Browns weren't poor enough for her. Maybe she could only justify interest in this show, if the whole prolific platoon pitter-pattered around on earthen floors and practiced pica. 

Would the Browns' subversive, cult-dictated, misogynist family structure have been more worthy of examination, had it played out in an urban penthouse with marble flooring — or at least upon hardwoods? (Mind you, I'm not pretending the show did not regularly shortchange its rich premise. It surely did. I'm objecting to how Koul teed up her argument with needless affectations that did not serve her thesis.)

Koul had valid points to make. Her presentation was so off-putting though, that I have already forgotten what those points may have been. She didn't say anything new. She didn't add anything to this discourse more insightful than any sober fan has released into the aether since Garrison's passing (and really, for far longer).

It is strange to me that an admitted consumer of this genre chose this way to dish up the subject of reality viewership ethics. Koul may have managed a literary publication, but it is arguable she finally made her internet bones in a Buzzfeed takedown of Friends — and only a mere quarter of a century after it was relevant. She is not William F. Buckley, Jr., nor is her Guardian pop culture piece Firing Line.

All that is to say she is not above writing about Sister Wives. It involves a fandom she should understand, or at least a type of fandom familiar to her. After all, according to her, the only female friends she has made in adulthood are online fans of reality TV. (Yes. No. Really. She has written of herself as one of those "I only have guy friends" girls.)

Who, other than Sister Wives viewers (and maybe some of the broader TLC and Bravo audiences), did she suppose might read any Sister Wives piece in the first place? What did she hope to accomplish? All she accomplished on my side of the screen was reminding me how much I still miss TWoP — 10 years out.

Koul fell short offering the kind of critique at which most TWoP writers usually excelled, even on their off days. She floundered because of her approach. There was no connection. No soul. She didn't write as one whose love has gone wrong. She wrote like a socialite laughing at the doorman's crush on her.

In the best (and even much of the merely adequate) TWoP coverage, writers often took characters, shows, writers, genres, networks, and even fanbases behind the woodshed. But they did it with love. They were most successful at a takedown, when they did so with the empathy of someone with skin in the game — not as if they'd only read about the whole mess from an altitude of 40,000 feet.

The brain needs oxygen. Rarefied air lacks it.

Edited by General Days
  • Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 13
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 1:58 PM, General Days said:

I didn't care for that Scaachi Koul piece, even beyond the factual inaccuracies (although she failed there, too). Somewhere between Alberta and New York, Koul forgot the kicker in the tagline of her old Hazlitt column: "From conflicts and confrontations both institutional and personal, to managing your own privilege without being a dick..."

There is a way to examine and even critique the genre, as well as this specific show (and fandom), without condescension. If you want an audience to consider whether a show should go on, don't begin by essentially telling that audience that they are dull and tasteless for having watched.

The first rule of writing about guilty pleasure TV: drop all pretension because you, dear writer, love some stupid shit, too. It may not be a TV show, but there's something in your pile of pleasing pretties that would make the uninitiated roll their eyes at you. Don't pontificate about McDonald's from a Burger King booth bearing your ass print.

Even as I wrote the above, a little voice tried to tell me that the less said about Koul's snobbery the better. I decided to ignore that voice and let the intrusive thought take a victory lap.

Carpeting! Suburban tedium! What was the purpose behind Koul's framing? How precious does she imagine her readership to be? Had the Browns always had wealth, social status, sophistication (and less pedestrian floor coverings, apparently), would that have made the show less "boring"? (By the way — "Boring"? What vapid criticism.) Or perhaps it was that the Browns weren't poor enough for her. Maybe she could only justify interest in this show, if the whole prolific platoon pitter-pattered around on earthen floors and practiced pica. 

Would the Browns' subversive, cult-dictated, misogynist family structure have been more worthy of examination, had it played out in an urban penthouse with marble flooring — or at least upon hardwoods? (Mind you, I'm not pretending the show did not regularly shortchange its rich premise. It surely did. I'm objecting to how Koul teed up her argument with needless affectations that did not serve her thesis.)

Koul had valid points to make. Her presentation was so off-putting though, that I have already forgotten what those points may have been. She didn't say anything new. She didn't add anything to this discourse more insightful than any sober fan has released into the aether since Garrison's passing (and really, for far longer).

It is strange to me that an admitted consumer of this genre chose this way to dish up the subject of reality viewership ethics. Koul may have managed a literary publication, but it is arguable she finally made her internet bones in a Buzzfeed takedown of Friends — and only a mere quarter of a century after it was relevant. She is not William F. Buckley, Jr., nor is her Guardian pop culture piece Firing Line.

All that is to say she is not above writing about Sister Wives. It involves a fandom she should understand, or at least a type of fandom familiar to her. After all, according to her, the only female friends she has made in adulthood are online fans of reality TV. (Yes. No. Really. She has written of herself as one of those "I only have guy friends" girls.)

Who, other than Sister Wives viewers (and maybe some of the broader TLC and Bravo audiences), did she suppose might read any Sister Wives piece in the first place? What did she hope to accomplish? All she accomplished on my side of the screen was reminding me how much I still miss TWoP — 10 years out.

Koul fell short offering the kind of critique at which most TWoP writers usually excelled, even on their off days. She floundered because of her approach. There was no connection. No soul. She didn't write as one whose love has gone wrong. She wrote like a socialite laughing at the doorman's crush on her.

In the best (and even much of the merely adequate) TWoP coverage, writers often took characters, shows, writers, genres, networks, and even fanbases behind the woodshed. But they did it with love. They were most successful at a takedown, when they did so with the empathy of someone with skin in the game — not as if they'd only read about the whole mess from an altitude of 40,000 feet.

The brain needs oxygen. Rarefied air lacks it.

Holy Masters Thesis, General Days!  That's a lot for me to unpack.  Fortunately, I really like a good deep dive, and I nominate you to be one our OFFICIAL WRITER-UPPERS for the eppie summaries.  😉😁

That is, if there are any more eppies in the future.  We shall see.  🤷‍♂️

Good job.  😊

Edited by Rabbit Hutch
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Holy Masters Thesis, General Days!  That's a lot for me to unpack.  Fortunately, I really like a good deep dive, and I nominate you to be one our OFFICIAL WRITER-UPPERS for the eppie summaries.  😉😁

That is, if there are any more eppies in the future.  We shall see.  🤷‍♂️

Good job.  😊

Thank you, Rabbit Hutch (and thank you for posting at all, because it got so quiet, after). 

It makes me crazy (as I've just proven) when entertainment writers approach a show as though it is beneath them. That's doubly true, when they seem to have chosen (or even pitched!) the assignment on a freelance basis.

It's one thing to say a show is boring (i.e. not worth viewers' attention), when reviewing a film or a TV show pilot episode. In those cases, a critic's job is to find good new productions and steer the readership away from lesser ones.

When writing about a 14-year-old series with 18 seasons, the bulk of a writer's readers will be people who found it worth watching for one reason or another. Koul could have skipped condescending to the audience and about the Browns, not to mention her inaccurate series summary. She wrote a 13 paragraph piece, and only really dug into her premise in the final five.

On 3/20/2024 at 3:08 PM, suomi said:

A bland reality TV show about polygamy was devastated by suicide. Was the child star’s trauma on clear display?

Over 18 seasons Sister Wives has shifted from the mundane to tragic, and it’s left viewers wondering about their complicity

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/mar/20/sister-wives-death-tlc-reality-show-ethics

Suomi, I owe you an apology. When I read that piece (and thank you for linking it), Koul set my teeth so on edge, that I scrambled down the internet rabbit hole on a "who is this Guardian hack" tear. When I finished reading some of her work (she is a skilled writer, I just hated her approach here), as well as a little bit more about her, I was only thinking about all the ways she failed her readership.

When I had my go at her coverage, I in no way meant to have any kind of a go at you. In retrospect, I can see I failed to make that clear.

You linked a piece which touches upon a subject that lays heavy on many of our hearts — namely, should the show go on, and if it does, is it ethical to watch. As I understand it, that is this thread's purpose. Thank you for providing us with content for discussion.

I failed to stop and consider how I would feel, if I linked something, and another Primetimer launched into her own 13 paragraph screed. I am certain I would have felt funny, were the shoe on the other foot.

I should have prefaced my brain-dump by making a point to tell you that I appreciated the link (I truly do!), mentioning the parts I found pertinent (the last 5 paragraphs!), and assuring you that none of my ire was directed at you (it was not!) for bringing it to our attention.

I am sorry failed to all of that. I did not mean to make you feel bad in any way.  💛

• Like 11
  • Love 4

Something I noticed the 1 at time I watched the episode where truly is staying at the rv and Janelle is trying to make it a fun and safe space for truly.  And they are sitting outside and truly is patting Savannah’s hair on her back and I’m just glad they have each other     There wasn’t so much chaos around them.  They were just siblings who like each other 

• Like 4
  • Love 8

As per suggestion of @General DaysI'm dropping my comments about  Garrison's memorial service in this thread.

Janelle looks absolutely devastated, it literally made me cry again. I was so glad to see that Hunter sat next to her to comfort her as much as he could despite his own grief.  I'm very worried about Gabe, he seems completely locked away in his own world, trying to deal with this loss and trauma...

I actually don't want to snark when the family is dealing with such a tremendous loss but I will a little ( I'm very sorry) Tony got me seriously pissed off with keeping his hat on during that ceremony. As a military wife, I'll just say that it is not done in such ceremonies, nor any military ceremony for that matter.  It shows of no respect or proper decorum.

As for Kody having three people between him and the mother of his child... Let's hope it was Janelle's wish to have her mother and Hunter near to comfort her. But it is so sad that not even the loss of a child can't (temporarily)bring Kody closer to the mother of his child. 

• Like 17
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, SDVegas said:

What rationale could there possibly be for Robyn’s kids to not attend the memorial? I can’t even imagine. 

(I too don't want to snark at a time like this but just this once.) Ummm....in Robyn speak, "Not safe"? 

I too thought it a bit odd that Kody wasn't next to Janelle. But maybe as @LilyD said it was by Janelle's request, he not be next to her.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 10
On 3/16/2024 at 9:03 PM, General Days said:

it was a space to discuss what we think might or should be the fate of the Sister Wives TV series, in the wake of Garrison's passing.

The past five years of SW have been absolutely distasteful: The way Kody treated the others was sickening and the entire world was witnessing a family fighting and falling apart. Such things should not be filmed and broadcast when kids are involved.

If anything, I hope TLC will never sink as low with a reality show again as they did here. As a viewer, I hated it and stopped watching it because it was too awful to watch. To the kids, who likely had no say in it at all, it must have been too personal, too painful and traumatic and it was all brought out in the open by their parents, for the entire world to see. 

I'm not against reality shows, but it is time we set some boundaries, particularly when kids are involved. As for SW, they should have stopped this show years ago. Please do it now, for Garrison and his siblings....

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5