Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E04: The Guy Who Gets A Beard Weave

What about the girl who complained about missing prom or graduation?

Well I said one of, not the most.;)

But her behavior feels very high school.. which probably isn't that surprising from someone who either recently graduated or is still in high school.

I am so confused with this season, and I do admit I only watched part of last season because the new format was so awful. But it just seems like production/Tyra just wants everyone to hook up. There are a billion other shows about that...(shame admit that I watched some of Bachelor in Paradise). This just makes no sense to me.

That being said, first off, the alcohol usage is crazy. And while I couldn't quite keep track, I can't imagine everyone under 21 is like "naaa, won't drink today". Also, I thought it was interesting that after the big binge party, they were given a full day for the judging. I would have sent them hung over. 

I hate the "oh you kissed a guy, you are gay" thing. But the guys are sure wanting the girls to kiss (but not be gay).

Kari's make-over. Holy cow. Tyra has to hate her. I have no eye for design and she looked seriously rough.

The beard....I can't even say. Looks like a bad version of Lebron (and I DO NOT think Lebron is attractive), especially at panel. That shower must have done a number on it. Ugh. Why do I watch? 

For some reason I like Lenox. And for some reason I like Will. He will be out soon because of body issues and they made him too tall. I cannot believe Adam didn't leave tonight though. That shot was so gross. His legs looked....super tiny in those tiny pants. 

In general I couldn't figure out the "optical illusion" idea. I kept turning my screen to try to see what was so gravity defying. But when you have people in the background just cruising on normal pavement/skate park whatever, it looked like someone lying down and putting their feet on something. 

Edited by oceanchild3
  • Love 3

Tyra continues to look silly and what was that DNA test about?  The same-sex kiss thing was ridiculous.  I hate when people try to put people in a box.  I really hated how they all sounded so accusatory like Matt had committed a crime.  Get over your small-minded selves, gah!

You aren't kidding!  And they had the nerve to be all, "Dude you are Gay!"  "No, I'm not I just think he's cute, and what's wrong with being gay anyway", "GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY" and yet previews for next week show two women kissing for Truth or Dare and everyone around is all, "ooooooh yeah, woohoo!"

Hypocrisy anyone?

Also, poor Kari.  I really do think Tyra did that to sabotage her.

Edited by Biosynth
  • Love 3

Also, poor Kari.  I really do think Tyra did that to sabotage her.

I think she just did it because she needs at least two or three shocking makeovers because shocking makeover drama is a big part of the show. Kari is mediocre enough that she was always going to be a early game loser, this isn't one of those cases where she took a strong contestant and killed them with the makeover.

• Love 2

I love Matt but i sorry , if you are a guy and you you feel like kissing another guy , you can't call yourself straight, even though you still like women . its just the way it is , at least for me . bisexuals are bound to live under the radar since both many straight and gay people do not trust them

.  Recap:

I was just about to post this. More pertinent information:

9. Shei was the one who saw them kiss and told the rest of the house

10. Everyone (Matt + Ben + interviewers) agreed that Kari's makeover was ghastly and that Denzel's beard was tacky

11. Matt and Ben felt Chantalle handled her makeover poorly, particularly in light of the heinousness that was attached to Kari's head.

12. Chantalle was a bit of a diva.

13. Both Matt and Ben feel that Kari is gorgeous

14. Matt pointed out that his scooter was rather short. The only way he could grasp it was to bend down, which made him appear short.

15. Matt also pointed out that he, Keith and Denzel had the hardest props.

16.Matt agreed that Ben had the best shot, but also stated that Ben only had to pose with a bag.

Edited by C0mputerGeek
  • Love 2

To add to the Chantelle is a diva train, Will is also recapping these epis.  He says that when it came down to Kari and Chantelle in the final two, everyone of the models was pulling for Kari to stay.  He does say that had there been a challenge, Chantelle may not have gone home but he says she really didn't act as part of the group.

• Love 1

Technically it's not a weave. A weave is interwoven into existing hair. It's just a standard lace front wig.. well a really low quality one. But not terrible different than a halloween costume wig.

Thank you.  I don't know shit about weaves, except that the word makes me think there should be some weaving going on, and this was like...very thin well-organized hair glued on skin.  

So Matthew kissed Ben on a dare?  That makes their weird conference about the event even more bizarre.  It wasn't an impulse, it was a game.  

I have to say, of all Tyra's fake words I appreciate "Ty-over" the most, because it's honest.  You're not going to come out looking better, like a makeover implies.  You're going to come out however she wants you to.  

• Love 4

When we were in 3rd grade we got to paste a beard on a picture of Abraham Lincoln. Same diff.

Shei's 2 different eyebrows are actionable in some State's courts.

Is there any chance that Tyra went to school with Kar's Mom, and Kari's Mom bullied her or called her "5-Head?" kari WAS, I'm SORRY, KINDA UGLY BEFORE, TOTALLY UGLY NOW.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3

My God. What salon would even want to be associated with producing such monstrosities?? I am truly baffled. Kari is now an albino cavewoman, and Denzel...I have no words. I'm just shocked that he managed to keep it together for this long without ripping that ridiculous thing off. The chick with the half black and half white....uhhh, lame! Sure, agencies will be banging on your door with that look, it's so versatile. The only one of these hamsters with true potential, to me, is Ben. And even then, he's too tall! Matt is cute, but nothing special. I also thought that Chantelle was very pretty, but I just could not get past the vitiligo, as awful as that sounds. Every time I looked at her, I wanted to see how her beautiful features came together without the....distraction. Lenox is so average to me, although she seems sweet. That super long torso and comparatively short legs will trip her up in modeling.

• Love 6

I have to say, of all Tyra's fake words I appreciate "Ty-over" the most, because it's honest.  You're not going to come out looking better, like a makeover implies.  You're going to come out however she wants you to.

Haha. True. I actually don't mind some of the terms. Smize. H2T. The models don't always seem very bright and these are easy little reminders of what they can do to improve their photos. It's tooch, booch, and boom boom boom and boom boom wow that I have a problem with. Boom boom wow doesn't even communicate anything. Smize = smile with your eyes. Boom boom wow= one letter away from a Black Eyed Peas song.

• Love 4

What i'm not fond of with the new catchphrases is they seem to replace actually telling the models, in no uncertain terms, what they need to do. Like Mr Jay if he was working with the male models would have no problem saying 'suck in your gut and tighten your core', which is what 'you aren't giving me that boomboomboom' is trying to communicate and utterly failing at.

• Love 2

I don't get what's so shocking about Kari's makeover. That exact same makeover is done almost every season. Some girls like Anya and Erin can pull it off quite well. Kari is extremely average and stumpy and does not pull it off however.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 1

I always enjoy the Ty-over episodes and this one is no exception. Denzel's beard weave is the most hilarious one yet, along with Krista who got a clip-on ponytail in cycle 14. Yes Kari got the peed on snow blonde which worked well on Anya but looks cheap and busted on her. Was surprised Chantelle was eliminated so quickly because I thought for sure she would be dragged all the way to at least the final 5 by Tyra as she does with all her "issue of the day" hamsters like Thalia and Isis.

• Love 2

Note to self:  never go to that salon.  They can't differentiate between "platinum" and "pee yellow."

The glue-on plastic fringe they generously called a beard weave was hilarious.

Matt, so you kissed him.  No need for rambling NO HOMO explanations.  You thought he was cute, you kissed him on a dare.  The end.

• Love 2
What i'm not fond of with the new catchphrases is they seem to replace actually telling the models, in no uncertain terms, what they need to do. Like Mr Jay if he was working with the male models would have no problem saying 'suck in your gut and tighten your core', which is what 'you aren't giving me that boomboomboom' is trying to communicate and utterly failing at.

Except Mr. Jay never actually said anything helpful during the actual shoots.  Maybe before or after but never during when you know, it might actually have helped.

As for Kari and her makeover, I see her as nothing but filler so no big deal.  The thing that sucks for Shei and her two-tone look is that she has had to keep that hair for months now.

and Denzel...I have no words. I'm just shocked that he managed to keep it together for this long without ripping that ridiculous thing off.

Yes, but lucky for him it was SO egregiously bad that everyone saw it - all he had to do was wait. Then being so cool about this disfiguration could only serve to impress Tyra and the judges.

Yeah, isn't platinum blond less yellow and more white, verging on silvery?

Yesyesyes, and speaking of which: can anyone remember any time when an allover blond color Ty-down was done correctly? I mean with no chartreuse tone?

Edited by Gumby

I seem to remember C18 Laura's being pretty good, minus the red and blue streaks underneath. Because... just no. It still had a little yellow to it near the roots, but I don't remember it being as "pee" as Tyra's norm.

Kari's weave is also terrible, along with being the wrong color for her skin tone. I mean, you can see her hair underneath around her face, which says to me that something is really, really wonky about it.

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 1

I don't get what's so shocking about Kari's makeover. That exact same makeover is done almost every season. Some girls like Anya and Erin can pull it off quite well. Kari is extremely average and stumpy and does not pull it off however.

It's not shocking, particularly, because, yes, Tyra does that every year, all the way back to Amanda in cycle 3. She doesn't do it on a girl of colour very often, though- especially not a long weave of it (usually it's pixie) It's a weird yellow on Kari's skintone.  

To me,  what looks awful on Kari are her eyebrows. The hair would be one thing. Anya and Erin's eyebrows disappeared....Kari's didn't. They  are weird, pale yellow caterpillars. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 2

Is Kari a girl of color? I thought she was white but maybe she is mixed? Yeah she has a darker skin tone than the other girls who usually get the peed on snow blonde, like Amanda C3, Laura C18, Anya, Rae from the short cycle etc. and that's why I think it looks so unnatural on her.

Kari is now an albino cavewoman

Thank you. I've been trying to figure out exactly what is so disturbing. I mean besides the fact that that that shade of blonde is completely wrong for her skin tone. The color of her brows is so close to her skin color that it does have the affect of a cro-magnon brow ridge.

I don't understand the point of the stick-on facial hair. I assume it's attached with some kind of glue. But it seems unlikely that any adhesive could last more than several days of activity, sweat, washing it every day, sleeping with it every night, and normal wear and tear. Is he expected to reapply it every morning? Given that it looks pretty raggedy from the get-go, I can only imagine how much worse it will look over time.

• Love 2

Is Kari a girl of color? I thought she was white but maybe she is mixed? Yeah she has a darker skin tone than the other girls who usually get the peed on snow blonde, like Amanda C3, Laura C18, Anya, Rae from the short cycle etc. and that's why I think it looks so unnatural on her.

We'll know exactly what her background is when they reveal the results of the DNA tests next week.  Can't wait to see how offensive that is (I'm hoping for people in costumes to deliver the news, and then maybe the models get painted to look more like what Tyra thinks they should look like given their DNA results).

• Love 2

Note to self:  never go to that salon.  They can't differentiate between "platinum" and "pee yellow."

I'm going to Vegas in two weeks where the Cristophe Salon has a location in the spa at the MGM Grand.  Since I'm staying there, I should probably book a makeover, too.

• Love 2

Ooh, dolphincorn - please ask them what they think. Not a manager though.

Maybe there are models all over the runways and magazines with that super-unflattering-to-humans-toned hair, and I just missed it? Can anyone find a pic of a working model with urine-y hair?

#352 Things I Learned From Tyra:

- In the modeling world, if someone tells you that you look like an alien, they are trying to give you a high compliment.

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure she's a mix.

I don't know for sure, as she hasn't kind enough to announce that she's a "bi-racial butterfly" like Jade did. Thankfully there is a potentially very offensive DNA test results show next week. 

ETA  I found this quote from her from her hometown newspaper: "“I started (modeling) two years ago when I moved to LA,” Calhoun said. “I always thought since I’m tall and skinny and ethnically ambiguous I should model.”

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 1

Those were the most low-rent photos I've seen ANTM do, and I watched Cycle 1. There were random people walking or sitting in the background of almost every photo, thereby ruining the "optical illusion" of every shot. Could the production team not afford to a) section off 12 sq. ft of LA street or b) photoshop the others out of the picture? Awful.

Denzel's Amish beard was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I'm still chuckling about it as I type this or really any time I picture it in my head.

I agreed with Keith (or whichever hamster it was) who agreed that Kari now looks like a stripper. She really does--and a rough stripper at that. Easily one of the worst makeovers ever.

• Love 1

I had the same thought about the photos. Turning a photo sideways does not an optical illusion make. Especially if you're going to leave random people and trees in the background. This could have been a fun shoot. Instead, it was, well, sideways photos.

• Love 2

Haha. True. I actually don't mind some of the terms. Smize. H2T. The models don't always seem very bright and these are easy little reminders of what they can do to improve their photos. It's tooch, booch, and boom boom boom and boom boom wow that I have a problem with. Boom boom wow doesn't even communicate anything. Smize = smile with your eyes. Boom boom wow= one letter away from a Black Eyed Peas song.

Yes, I notice people seem to have just accepted "smize" now. It seems that Trya just keeps using her made-up words until she wears us down and we get used to them.

I have to say, of all Tyra's fake words I appreciate "Ty-over" the most, because it's honest.  You're not going to come out looking better, like a makeover implies.  You're going to come out however she wants you to.  

This is a good point. Makeover drama used to be about someone her hair cut too short. I guess Trya figured that it's all been said and done at this point, so she might as well go crazy. That seemed to be the way of reality tv in general. I think the term "Ty-over" is quite appropriate for Tyra's trend of insane makeovers; "makeover" just doesn't capture the craziness of "beard weave" and urine hair.

So Matthew kissed Ben on a dare?  That makes their weird conference about the event even more bizarre.  It wasn't an impulse, it was a game.

I totally agree it makes the situation make little sense in real life; however having said, I think it's quite likely this will go further. I don't see why it would be mentioned in the first place on a reality tv show if it isn't a set up for a story arc. As such, I'd be even more shocked if Matt/Will does not happen eventually. Many people by now know that much of reality tv is not as "real" as it's made out to be. I don't know how much of this show is made up but the kiss being a result of a dare seems like a perfect story set-up. It's a brilliant way to preserve Matt's previous heterosexual idenification and end up starting something up with a guy. If this is a set-up, I'd it's there to appeal more to the gay male audience. The raunchiness of the season is probably an attempt to draw in more of the young male audience (I guess the occasional lesbian story arcs just weren't enough).

I'm surprised Tyra would knowingly/willingly liquor the contestants up. Especially, when she enjoys to portray herself as socially-conscious. Alcohol abuse/use is a much bigger and more prevalent issue among teenagers and young adults than smoking. She seems to have come a long way from banning smoking inside the house and not showing it on the show.

I think Kari and Denzel looked equally ridiculous but he handled it like a pro (a reality tv pro- learned from previous seasons) and Kari broke down. Then again, he looked silly and she looked just BAD.  And I know it's got to be extra crushign for people whose identity is based on looks.

I love how this show is ridiculously trashy and awful but does give Will the space to speak with a little dignity and authority during the post-kiss grilling.  Nice moment in an hour of nonsense.

• Love 3

I probably am the only one that like Adam's hair before the makeover, I mean, TY-OVER. I like his long messy hair. I'd think it could be more versatile in the hands of good hair stylists.

No, I totally feel you. I looooove me some long hair on a handsome man :)

About Shei's "Ty-over"...I really like the two hair colors thing because I've had it done. Mine was half black and half pink, and I did NOT dye one eyebrow. Also, I think Shei would look better if the white half was actually white and not pee-yellow.

Edited by Zima

I'm surprised Tyra would knowingly/willingly liquor the contestants up. Especially, when she enjoys to portray herself as socially-conscious. Alcohol abuse/use is a much bigger and more prevalent issue among teenagers and young adults than smoking. She seems to have come a long way from banning smoking inside the house and not showing it on the show.

Oh, I  think you may have hit upon a future Very Special Tyra Moment, where she tells them all about the dangers of alcohol and what it can do to you looks, with the obligatory story from her early days in modeling.  Then she will have them do a photo where each on is made up to show how they will look at 70, if they kept with their current partying lifestyle. 

I think Kari and Denzel looked equally ridiculous but he handled it like a pro (a reality tv pro- learned from previous seasons) and Kari broke down. Then again, he looked silly and she looked just BAD.  And I know it's got to be extra crushign for people whose identity is based on looks.

Plus, her ty-over was more "permanent" than his.  Hers could be dyed again, but that takes more time than peeling tape/glue and cutting  a few chin hairs. 

• Love 2

Oh, I think you may have hit upon a future Very Special Tyra Moment, where she tells them all about the dangers of alcohol and what it can do to you looks, with the obligatory story from her early days in modeling. Then she will have them do a photo where each on is made up to show how they will look at 70, if they kept with their current partying lifestyle.

Ha! Actually, this reminds of me the Cycle in which each model had to model a certain PSA. One was the effects of smoking, bulimia, etc. I remember being kind of disturbed by it.

Well, more disturbed than I usually am about the show.

• Love 1

I didn't understand why it was an optical illusion either, but that's what makes it magical. It was the most difficult possible way to take a picture of what, at its best, looked like a person standing upright and, at its worst, looked like a person pretending to stand upright.

Last season was just kind of boring and annoying, but this is already one of those special seasons that's so far over the top, across the mountain, and into the valley of Crazyville that I am genuinely riveted. I am so effing stoked to see what fun, creative, artistic way Tyra comes up with to tell people about their racial heritage.

(Kari's makeover was so terrible that I honestly expected her to be one of the people who got an emergency do-over. If she lasts more than a couple of weeks, I still expect it).

Another fine reason not to fire Mr. Jay. I'm glad that Miss Jay's back, but I'd like the whole set.

Another fine reason not to fire Mr. Jay. I'm glad that Miss Jay's back, but I'd like the whole set.

I feel the same way. I thought that the original crew was concerned more so with helping the contestants understand what they needed to do. I miss the teaches and more importantly, I miss runway challenges because someone always falls. I like falls.

I'd like to keep the sexes separate. Maybe give the men and women each their own show? As has been mentioned here, men and women aren't judged by the same criteria when modeling. Why put them in a competition together?

What about the girl who complained about missing prom or graduation?

Suspending belief for a moment that this competition results in a model getting his or her foot in the door for an editorial/high fashion modeling career, I don't get why missing either would be a big deal. Becoming a working (even successful or moderately successful) model is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and can earn someone great money. I'm not saying that modeling is the most important or prestigious job one can have, but at a young age, it would be a pretty big deal.

I attended my junior prom and my graduation. If I had had the credentials to go into modeling at that age, then I would have been happy to skip the prom and graduation. Maybe I'm alone in that thought.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3
I attended my junior prom and my graduation. If I had had the credentials to go into modeling at that age, then I would have been happy to skip the prom and graduation. Maybe I'm alone in that thought.

No, you are not alone.  Honestly, looking back, prom and graduation were not that big a deal.  I mean, prom was pretty meh, and, sure, the diploma is important, but not so much the ceremony.  If I could have gotten an awesome job like modelling where I could:  a) travel, b) make good money, c) meet all kinds of people, and d) get the hell out of my small town, I would have been so thrilled.  

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 2

No, you are not alone.  Honestly, looking back, prom and graduation were not that big a deal.  I mean, prom was pretty meh, and, sure, the diploma is important, but not so much the ceremony.  If I could have gotten an awesome job like modelling where I could:  a) travel, b) make good money, c) meet all kinds of people, and d) get the hell out of my small town, I would have been so thrilled.  

Exactly. My high school didn't require students to attend the ceremony. I think most did because of their families.

I don't understand the really young contestants who go on ANTM and complain that they're missing out on high school things. No one forced them to go on a reality show.

I hope that Denzel getting the beard weave means that he and his homophobic ass won't last too long in this competition. He doesn't think gay men are real men? Has he done his research on the fashion industry? There are more gay men than straight men in the industry.

Romeo can follow him. Few places would hire Romeo to represent their product and service. He'd qualify for a tattoo magazine, but that's about it.

• Love 1

What is the deal with everyone crushing on Kari? She isn't any prettier than any of the others :/

My favourite so far is Lenox. I like her pale skin and her attitude to drama - 'be a spectator and watch them destroy themselves' :D

Is it wrong to say that I am really not a fan of Chantelle's look?  In an effort to grasp to fashion realism, I'm glad she's gone.

DNA tests?? I'm sorry, I thought this was a modelling competition. Wrong show,I guess. 

Denzel's beard is a no for me. I'm glad they're removing it. Shei looks like she's cos playing Cruella. In Keith's words: " Kari thinks she looks like a stripper. She does. But it's ok, I love strippers" *snigger*

That whole thing with Matthew pissed me off so much. They seemed to feel that he owed them some kind of explanation, that they were somehow entitled to answers. So gross.

ITA. In the meantime, Denzel and Mirjana are practically having sex all over the place and no one gives a crap. Bleh. 

Why don't the judge's scores have anything to do with their commentary??  

Edited by lovedwallflower

ITA. In the meantime, Denzel and Mirjana are practically having sex all over the place and no one gives a crap. Bleh. 

Actually, this has been addressed in the post-show interviews with the cast on Buzzfeed. The other contestants most certainly did care.