Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E19: Sex, Lies & Questionable Behavior

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

• Start Topic

With decision day less than a week away for most of our couples, the husbands and wives make one last effort to decide if they want to spend the rest of their lives with their spouse.

Air date: 2/28/2024

• Like 2
(edited)

Brennan telling Emily she’s negative, I was cheering.  She’s SO negative. From her words to the constant pissy look on her face.  And now she’s crying in the bathroom forcing the producer to say she’s never negative. I hope she sees this and really SEES herself.  
ETA I don’t like either of them, at all.  

Edited by Meowwww
  • Like 10
  • Applause 4

Now I'm a little obsessed. Is Emily really negative? I don't like her or Brennan and I find her to be annoying, particularly when she drinks. I did think that was she said about Michael and Chloe's vows was rude. But I wouldn't have come up with "negative" to describe her. I don't really think of her as "sunny" or "always positive" either. 

Thoughts? I don't remember any of the supposedly many times she said she "hated" something. Does anyone?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Meowwww said:

Brennan telling Emily she’s negative, I was cheering.  She’s SO negative. From her words to the constant pissy look on her face.  And now she’s crying in the bathroom forcing the producer to say she’s never negative. I hope she sees this and really SEES herself.  
ETA I don’t like either of them, at all.  

Ha .. So I thought I heard him say he didn’t believe in divorce.  He could barely look at her.

What’s with Becca’s eyebrows?  A bit dark for her coloring.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Now I'm a little obsessed. Is Emily really negative? I don't like her or Brennan and I find her to be annoying, particularly when she drinks. I did think that was she said about Michael and Chloe's vows was rude. But I wouldn't have come up with "negative" to describe her. I don't really think of her as "sunny" or "always positive" either. 

Thoughts? I don't remember any of the supposedly many times she said she "hated" something. Does anyone?

I don't think Brennan was making it up, he must be sensitive to her negativity whether it's often or just sometimes.  I do find her very smirky and eyerolling  which I find very annoying and she's smug imo. I too don't like either one of them, but she def gets on my nerves more. She seems to have healed quickly from her major head injury..... thankfully Brennan saved her life lol. Not sure why she's wasting any energy attacking him, it's over.

• Like 9

I think Brennan is projecting.  He's the most negative, emotionless, self absorbed piece of shit I've ever seen on my screen.  Yeah, I'm exaggerating but I have a visceral reaction to him.  I don't see Emily as negative at all.  So she has opinions, so what?  We're all critics.  She's positive and negative like all of us.  But I don't see her as all negative.  That's him projecting his crap on her.  I see him as a misogynist.  With that shitty look on his face all the time, does he ever give of himself to anyone?  No.  And that crap he was trying to sell about "saving her life".  Unfortunately she actually bought that the way he was with her when she injured herself was a real, genuine and decent part of him.  Then in the next sentence she and Clare are talking about how it's all about the optics with him.  Well, duh, that was all part of making himself look good on camera.  I don't for one minute think it came from any decency in him.  Speaking of positivity, she was determined to see the positive in him.  Too bad it wasn't really there.

Speaking of Clare, she's no prize but everyone needs a girlfriend like her to tell them those things about themselves.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

I have been watching this godforsaken show since day one.  As a MAFS OG, I feel like I can say with authority that this has to be one of the top three worst seasons.  No one likes anyone and the guys are complete duds.  One caveat: I will give Michael a temporary pass because although he isn’t my type of guy, I think he’s a decent man, but every time he’s on my screen, I have to endure Chloe, so . . . ugh.  As for these two, I think it’s hilarious that they were given an assignment to visit a sex shop.  The experts are so desperate for someone -anyone!- to have sex.  Chloe isn’t helping anything by giggling constantly while Michael attempts to fulfill the assignment.  For someone who claims to be so free sexually, the nervous laughter makes me doubt it  

Emily is just embarrassing at this point.  It’s so ridiculous that I’m almost rooting for Brennan (joking, but you know what I mean).  He is easily one of the most dastardly of all MAFS men- the Gaslight King.  We could all see it coming when Emily was so thrilled about what she perceived as a turning point in their “relationship” post-accident.  Brennan has clearly regretted his decision to participate in this from day one.  She’s young; she’ll get through it and rebound.  As for Brennan, I hope that these episodes can serve as a PSA to all potential girlfriends of the future.

Austin and Becca’s issues are pretty clear-cut to me: Austin was never attracted to Becca and had no interest in trying to get there, but felt guilty about it.  He’s another man who has been counting the hours until Decision Day.  He’s just handled it with more sensitivity and decency than Brennan.  

As for Clare, who cares, honestly?  How small and petty does she look, weeping with Emily and breaking the devastating news that their “husbands” are double-dating?  Please. 

Edited by VioletNevermind
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

For two guys that are so concerned with how bad their wives are making them look on camera, Brennan and Austin sure are doing a great job of that all by themselves without anyone's help!

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Yes as they walk out the door, why now?  There's only a few days left?  But they've been exposed I guess, and they just can't take that.  I wish the girls weren't hurt by them, they def deserved better.

• Like 7
(edited)

Austin and Becca’s issues are pretty clear-cut to me: Austin was never attracted to Becca and had no interest in trying to get there, but felt guilty about it.  He’s another man who has been counting the hours until Decision Day.  He’s just handled it with more sensitivity and decency than Brennan.  

I agree that their issue is clear-cut. Austin isn't physically attracted to Becca. I disagree that he had no interest in trying to get there. I think he tried, actually, but the attraction never developed. I did sense some genuine effort from him, though. 

As for Clare, who cares, honestly?  How small and petty does she look, weeping with Emily and breaking the devastating news that their “husbands” are double-dating?  Please. 

I think that Cameron should have told Emily. Instead it was like middle school - Cameron passed a note to Clare in algebra saying that Brennan wanted to double date with him and then Clare told Emily while they were smoking in the girls' bathroom before PE. 

I'm also from the school of "when they go low, we go high." I did not like the way that Emily confronted Brennan. Unless there was something we didn't see, Emily had no proof that Brennan was trying to double date with Cameron. I'm not saying she needs proof or that it didn't happen, but if I were Emily, I would have called Brennan and said "I'm told that you were trying to arrange double dates with Cameron. What do you have to say about that?" Brennan still would have told the same story about it all being a joke but I think that Emily would have done well to avoid the name calling and bickering with Brennan. 

Watching the AfterShow now and I just want t voice my never-ending love for DC Austin and Jessica. Their kid is beyond adorable and I just love them. Also mad love for Boston Chris, who is so much of a good fucking person, I can hardly stand it. Keith and Kristine also look good and are still going strong. I was not a Myrla fan but she seems happy so good for her.

And is the show going to continue on with just Michael & Chloe?

I hope not. I am guessing they will continue with Michael and Chloe and maybe move into "where are they now" with the remaining couples.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I'm also from the school of "when they go low, we go high." I did not like the way that Emily confronted Brennan. Unless there was something we didn't see, Emily had no proof that Brennan was trying to double date with Cameron. I'm not saying she needs proof or that it didn't happen, but if I were Emily, I would have called Brennan and said "I'm told that you were trying to arrange double dates with Cameron. What do you have to say about that?" Brennan still would have told the same story about it all being a joke but I think that Emily would have done well to avoid the name calling and bickering with Brennan. 

I hear what you're saying but I really, really sympathized with her.  She was not pulling any punches anymore and was now letting it all hang out.  This last conversation with him was like a "last straw" situation with her.  She was now angry and going to let him have it.  I think he deserved that and worse, actually.  And I can't say I didn't cheer a little to see her stand up for herself and not just cave in with tears like a victim.  She probably could have managed her emotions better but she was in a "heat of the moment" situation.  And I can forgive her for that given what he put her through.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, endure said:

I wonder how decision day will go? 

And is the show going to continue on with just Michael & Chloe?

Chloe is in love.  With herself.  And get that sex therapist off.  How pathetic going to a sex toy shop.  This show is reaching.  What’s next?

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

Brennan and Emily are both unlikeable. She does seem negative to me and he's cold-hearted. Please leave my TV ASAP and good riddance to ya!

Becca and Austen. He's a dull do-nothing and she's just a constant font of blubbering waterworks. Does she ever speak without tears running down her face? MAFS must have bought a truckload of Kleenex for this season.

I sympathize because the serious medical problems have probably been really hard on her body, but is she really supposed to be 32? Looks 40ish to me. The scene (last week?) where she was climbing into a hot tub she looked even older. It's obvious to everyone but the sexperts that Austen has zero attraction to her. He should be honest because this is just torturous for Becca.

Chloe is another one who's holding back the truth. She tries to act enthusiastic and accepting, but then in the next scene she's talking about how hard this is and how she's freaking out and needs to get away. She's overly emotive, but I don't buy that she's an actress. Unless getting hired by MAFS and being encouraged to be full of smiles no matter what counts as acting. Heh. I do believe MAFS was desperate to have at least one couple that will pretend to say "Yes" in the finale.

**veering off topic** I turned on the TV to watch the late showing of MAFS and a program about women who didn't know they were pregnant was on. One of the surprise moms had a father named GYNO and a sister named GYNA. I am dumbfounded. 

Well, well, there goes Mr. No-Divorce. Out the door with no tears at all.

Now Chloe and Michael break out the sex toys. And the sleeping dogs. Dim the lights, the show is over, thank god.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Chloe is in love.  With herself.  And get that sex therapist off.  How pathetic going to a sex toy shop.  This show is reaching.  What’s next?

That sex shop scene was all kinds of cringe, and not even because of the sex toys themselves but because it felt obvious to me that Chloe in particular was a little uncomfortable with the whole thing but trying to be a good sport about it on camera.  They haven't even had full sex yet and only know each other for two weeks - it's not time yet to go to a sex shop and talk about sex toys.  A couple needs to be more along in their sexual relationship before that should happen in my opinion.  The show is trying to push them into it but they don't seem to need the help.  They'll have sex when the time is right for them with or without toys.  I think the show is just desperate for anything "spicy" to put on camera since all the other couples have been a dud sexually and otherwise.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

That sex shop scene was all kinds of cringe, and not even because of the sex toys themselves but because it felt obvious to me that Chloe in particular was a little uncomfortable with the whole thing but trying to be a good sport about it on camera.  They haven't even had full sex yet and only know each other for two weeks - it's not time yet to go to a sex shop and talk about sex toys.  A couple needs to be more along in their sexual relationship before that should happen in my opinion.  The show is trying to push them into it but they don't seem to need the help.  They'll have sex when the time is right for them with or without toys.  I think the show is just desperate for anything "spicy" to put on camera since all the other couples have been a dud sexually and otherwise.

Imagine reality TV producers trying to influence your sex life with a stranger then filming you in  a sex shop and in bed

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 4

This has to be absolutely the worst season of MAFS ever. Previous iterations had the couples going to restaurants or having pot luck get togethers or various other activities but lordie,  these guys do nothing but sit around and talk about how awful their relationships are. Are they really all so unlikable in real life? Because they're really miserable gits on this show. Terrible. The only one that showed some promise of being able to carry on an interesting conversation was Cameron and they deep-sixed him after the first few episodes. At least we've been spared the awfulness of Lauren and Orion the last couple of weeks but for sure they'll be brought back to bore us on DDay.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Watching this episode made me feel very uncomfortable.   I think they need to get rid of the "experts."  They need to have actual counseling during the marriage maybe once or twice a week, not just when the relationship is imploding.   

Why do they even need to have a decision day?  All the couples are kaput.  

• Like 13
10 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I did think that was she said about Michael and Chloe's vows was rude.

I did too. Very. Nobody asked her and even if they did, that’s a situation where a polite white lie is in order. And I’m mindful of the fact that a few of Emily’s friends called her self-absorbed at the beginning. I don’t know if she’s negative but I’ve never thought she was particularly nice. She and Brennan bring out the worst in each other - he can’t stand her.

It’s painful watching Becca beg Austin to care about her. It’s good, I guess, that she (finally!) realized he cared more about how he looked on TV than he does about her.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

All the talk about Brennan and Austin being different off camera. Yeah, but I imagine their wives are too. 

Well, not Becca because I am sure she just cries non-stop off camera as well. She's pushy and tries to micro-manage Austin and it turns him off so he's even less inclined to have sex with her, much less want to be with her forever.

And, she twice used the same phrase to describe how bad he treats her (wish i could remember what it was), rehearsed much?

And I think we just have not seen how negative Emily is when not filmed and her being so critical about the Michael-Chloe wedding was just a small glimpse at the real nasty girl she is behind the weird faces.  

As for the aftershow dirt session, was glad Kevin was not hosting.  Glad to see most of the alumni, except for Myrla.  Our favorites? She sure was not one of mine and don't know why the camera focused on her so much.

I hope we are done with Keisha's dumb poll questions.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I think there’s a disconnect between Emily’s words and facial reactions. She truly did spend the first half-ish of the process stifling her own feelings and trying to just go with the flow with Brennan—but her face always gave away how she truly felt. However, Brennan hasn’t exactly been a ball of joy. We have never even seen this man smile! Meanwhile Emily was on death’s door and was like, I’m all good!! It’s only now that she’s being more verbally argumentative. But what is there to be “positive” about in this “relationship”?!? I’m glad that the show is finally giving us the “behind the scenes” ceiling-mounted camera footage so we can see what’s happening when the actual camera crew isn’t there. (Though, I could have done without seeing Michael and Chloe presumably giving each other hand jobs!!) So all that Brennan and Austin care about is how they come off on TV. Ironically, that’s what broke up Cam and Clare because he said she was acting like two different people on camera and off camera. Are they over-achievers for realizing that 2 weeks in instead of 2 months in? Though, interestingly, being off camera seems to have really made Clare grow a lot. Cam, who knows since we haven’t seen the guy! But they seem to be having a better, though slightly distant relationship off camera than the other two couples are having on camera. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, kristen111 said:

What’s with Becca’s eyebrows?  A bit dark for her coloring.

I can't get past these eyebrows.  Throw in the pink hair, roots, nose ring and I just can't.  Not to mention, I hate a loose pony tail.  If you're gonna tie it up, then tie it up nice and taught. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
19 minutes ago, Shauna said:

I can't get past these eyebrows.  Throw in the pink hair, roots, nose ring and I just can't.  Not to mention, I hate a loose pony tail.  If you're gonna tie it up, then tie it up nice and taught. 

I think the pink hair is all wrong for her coloring.  She is so pale and then adding pale pink hair makes her look so washed out.  I'm curious what her past boyfriends looked like, I'm guessing they were more the artsy type.

I think besides the "attraction" issue, I just don't think these two have much in common.  He likes to drink, she can't.  He likes to snowboard and do other outdoorsy activities and she seems more of the stay at home and cuddle type. I think he wanted someone with shared interests that he could head to the mountains with, and she is just not it.   I think all of that is just making her less and less appealing to him.   

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

I think the pink hair is all wrong for her coloring.  She is so pale and then adding pale pink hair makes her look so washed out.  I'm curious what her past boyfriends looked like, I'm guessing they were more the artsy type.

I think besides the "attraction" issue, I just don't think these two have much in common.  He likes to drink, she can't.  He likes to snowboard and do other outdoorsy activities and she seems more of the stay at home and cuddle type. I think he wanted someone with shared interests that he could head to the mountains with, and she is just not it.   I think all of that is just making her less and less appealing to him.   

BAD matches all around.  Whoever did the picking did a very bad job.  I can’t stand Chloe.  Too much sex talk too.  The “Shop” was unnecessary imo.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I have watched this show for many seasons, but last night was the WORST show I have ever seen. I actually switched to reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond and also checked to see what was on QVC. Especially when Michael and Chloe were on. That sex store was extremely cringey and I am so glad I must have been Loving Raymond if they showed a camera shot of them in bed. 

One of my other problems is that I can't understand about 75% of what they say. They talk so fast, so low and mumbly, and then throw in all the 'likes' and profanity bleeps, and I don't get much. I have the feeling that nothing new is said, anyway.

I have never liked Emily, but I swear that life-threatening accident scar was lower on her face and not way up in her hairline that we couldn't see it. I agree that even if what she said wasn't always negative, her face was. Neither of them are likable, so just go away. Emily still has a perfect record of never having a real relationship.

Austin met a friend for some clearly scripted conversation. BOTH of those adult men were wearing backwards ball caps inside a restaurant. WHY??? Is that really a thing that adult men do now? Especially since they both appear to have hair. I think it's stupid.

Did everybody get a BINGO on that ridiculous circle of girls discussion? They used every single psychobabble word in existence - authentic, real, triggering, etc. And having Chloe and Clare give their worthless opinions was dumb. At least we were spared the philosophy of Lauren.

I know there is a lot of Austin hate, but I do think he did try to like her and make it work. Brennan did not. Sure, he "saved her life," but was he supposed to just walk away? Cameras were there, you know. And I do believe that he and Cam were joking about double dating. Well, maybe they will after D Day.

I didn't even tune into the after show, since I thought it would be another Kevin Frazier show, but it was nice to hear that some of the likable couples are doing well.

I am also concerned that we will have a few more shows of just Chloe and Michael now that the others are done. If that is the case, I am done, too. I know the D Day results, and don't need to see/hear any more sob stories. Becca hasn't done herself any favors by appearing so desperate on this show. I think the stress has really taken a toll on her, and the pink hair doesn't help.

So, good job, show! You picked and matched the most unlikable people with the worst possible mates. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, endure said:

Imagine reality TV producers trying to influence your sex life with a stranger then filming you in  a sex shop and in bed

My husband of MANY years watches with me.  I could see he is uncomfortable watching this shit, but says nothing.  There is no live or trust here yet with these couples.  Sex and toys with a stranger is not the way to go.   I meant love and trust up there.  Toys are not for everyone.  They hardly know each other.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

I have watched this show for many seasons, but last night was the WORST show I have ever seen. I actually switched to reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond and also checked to see what was on QVC. Especially when Michael and Chloe were on. That sex store was extremely cringey and I am so glad I must have been Loving Raymond if they showed a camera shot of them in bed. 

One of my other problems is that I can't understand about 75% of what they say. They talk so fast, so low and mumbly, and then throw in all the 'likes' and profanity bleeps, and I don't get much. I have the feeling that nothing new is said, anyway.

I have never liked Emily, but I swear that life-threatening accident scar was lower on her face and not way up in her hairline that we couldn't see it. I agree that even if what she said wasn't always negative, her face was. Neither of them are likable, so just go away. Emily still has a perfect record of never having a real relationship.

Austin met a friend for some clearly scripted conversation. BOTH of those adult men were wearing backwards ball caps inside a restaurant. WHY??? Is that really a thing that adult men do now? Especially since they both appear to have hair. I think it's stupid.

Did everybody get a BINGO on that ridiculous circle of girls discussion? They used every single psychobabble word in existence - authentic, real, triggering, etc. And having Chloe and Clare give their worthless opinions was dumb. At least we were spared the philosophy of Lauren.

I know there is a lot of Austin hate, but I do think he did try to like her and make it work. Brennan did not. Sure, he "saved her life," but was he supposed to just walk away? Cameras were there, you know. And I do believe that he and Cam were joking about double dating. Well, maybe they will after D Day.

I didn't even tune into the after show, since I thought it would be another Kevin Frazier show, but it was nice to hear that some of the likable couples are doing well.

I am also concerned that we will have a few more shows of just Chloe and Michael now that the others are done. If that is the case, I am done, too. I know the D Day results, and don't need to see/hear any more sob stories. Becca hasn't done herself any favors by appearing so desperate on this show. I think the stress has really taken a toll on her, and the pink hair doesn't help.

So, good job, show! You picked and matched the most unlikable people with the worst possible mates. 

Loved your whole post.  Right on!  Can’t stand Clair either.  Just because she has a degree in psychology doesn’t mean she has to analyze everyone’s problems.  What’s with her .. likes Cameron again?  She didn’t even give him a chance back then.  I also think Austin was pretty nice to Becca considering he was matched wrong.  He seems too young for her.  She looks and acts older.  Just what a man loves .. a crying woman .. NOT.   He needs a woman who is full of adventure and playful and can keep up with him.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 6

I think Brennan also viewed Emily as being negative everytime she told him how he needed to change/what he should do better throughout their brief relationship.  Emily, as well as the other participants, never gave one thought to what she should do differently but was always willing to tell Brennan what he should be doing.  And the most positive person?  No, I don't see it.  

I think we have seen snippets of what Austin is talking about with Becca.  He didn't want her to take over the bagging of the souvenirs that he bought last episode and she turned it into a rejection of her.  And in this episode she told him that usually when she has an idea he wants to talk about it (and she said it was too long and drawn out) but this time he just said 'sure' and that's what she wants more of.  So, it was exactly what Austin identified-she just wants him to agree with her about everything.  I think that fact that she cries and proclaims her hurt that it makes it seem like he is an awful person.  

I don't care for any of these participants (maybe Michael a little bit, but he seems quite performative).  None of them look at themselves-it's always the other person who is in the wrong (Chloe and Michael haven't been pointing fingers).  I think we are seeing the result of everyone being told they should be strong and independent and not understand that it means they are always 'right' and that compromise is sometimes important rather than always getting what one wants.

• Like 12

he "saved her life," 

He did not. There was the guide from the shop and an entire camera crew there. I don't know that it was even Brennan that called 911. 

I think it's nice that he stayed with her at the hospital and that he cared for her when she came home. I don't think it makes him a saint but it was a nice thing to do. But "saved her life?" No. Get over yourself, Brennan.

• Like 5

I SCREAMED when they showed that blurred apartment footage!!!! DAMNNNN!!! They exposed them like THAT?!?!! TOO MUCH!!! We should've gotten a warning!!! Geez!!! 🙈 What's next is bow chica wow wow & Chloe doesn't know what that is, but she just said that?!!! Huhhh? Okay. Sure. Sex shop assignment?!!! SERIOUSLY?!!! Did no one get an intimacy basket? Becca & Austin did the obstacle course, that was their intimacy basket? 🤔 So why are Chloe & Michael ready for a sex shop but not an intimacy basket? 🤨🙄 Michael said he's a 6.5 on that scale. That's surprising. He's a good sport. I get Chloe laughing. It must be so uncomfortable ON CAMERA WITH OTHER PEOPLE. She wasn't laughing in that blurred video. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

He did not. There was the guide from the shop and an entire camera crew there. I don't know that it was even Brennan that called 911. 

I think it's nice that he stayed with her at the hospital and that he cared for her when she came home. I don't think it makes him a saint but it was a nice thing to do. But "saved her life?" No. Get over yourself, Brennan.

I don’t even think it was that nice. I think it should be expected. I don’t give him much credit for that. Of course he stayed with her in the hospital. Where else was he going to go?

• Like 5

Exactly how long was Emily’s hospital stay? We all know that hospitals throw you out the door just as soon as you are awake and your ride is there. Or maybe she stayed overnight so the medical staff could determine that she didn’t have a concussion? Or maybe it was longer so the show could get some footage of Brennan being selfless and Emily being so positive!!<——-I’ll go with this.

Somehow her disfiguring face gash disappeared. I’m calling bullshit. The black eye was real but unless the blood that was “gushing” from her head wound had a chemical reaction with her hair dye, it was the strangest color of blood I’ve ever seen. 

Austin, the immature frat boy persona isn’t doing you any favors. You’re too old for that shit. So is your best bud. Grow up. Had to laugh when he told Becca to wash her hands if she wanted to put on his fleece jacket. That’s their relationship in a nutshell. 

Becca, please don’t consider yourself a strong, independent, girl power super hero. You’re a sniveling baby who refused to trust your instincts about the prize package known as Austin and allowed yourself to be “gaslighted;” after a few weeks, you became a willing participant even though you knew about Austin’s on camera-off camera split personality. 

Mike exhausts me. Why does it feel like he flips the “on” switch when he sees the cameras heading his way? The “witty repartee,” the affectations in his speech, his over-sensitivity to his Chloe’s needs and thoughts—if he’s such a catch, why is he on this show? How much do you think he and Chloe got paid to keep this season afloat?

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Haha .. Everyone has the same opinion of this show.  It went downhill fast.  They must of had new Producers trying something different.  Bad matches, too much sex talk, blah, blah.  Learn from the first few episodes which were great.  The After Party wasn’t that great either.  Too bad.  Bring back Australia.

• Like 5

I actually had the saddest, most unsettled feeling that was hard to shake after watching this episode. I’ve watched every season of MAFS, and never felt this before. Yeah, I know it’s (non)reality television, but if these people represent the new mindset of singles in their 20’s/30’s, what a sad world we’re now living in. “If you’re not perfect, I’m outta here. And please refrain from anything that might ‘trigger’ me.”

As an aside, raise your hand if you were totally grossed out by the blurred out hand jobs. I can’t unsee that no matter how hard I try. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

if the quote is from my post please note..... it was sarcasm lol

1 hour ago, Zero260 said:

I actually had the saddest, most unsettled feeling that was hard to shake after watching this episode. I’ve watched every season of MAFS, and never felt this before. Yeah, I know it’s (non)reality television, but if these people represent the new mindset of singles in their 20’s/30’s, what a sad world we’re now living in. “If you’re not perfect, I’m outta here. And please refrain from anything that might ‘trigger’ me.”

As an aside, raise your hand if you were totally grossed out by the blurred out hand jobs. I can’t unsee that no matter how hard I try. 

Really, how can anyone go into a marriage to a stranger and not have an open mind, which none of these couples have. 

🙋🏼‍♀️ So totally grossed out by the entire 'sex' segment with M&C, the part with the blurred hand jobs was (and on camera!) far too much, earlier I talked about the their  sex scenes at the shop, in bed etc and purposely left that part out because honestly I had tried to blur it from my mind, this show has stooped to a whole new levels this season imo.

And I also do not for a moment think Emily was ever in danger when she had the accident, it was all a bunch of faked drama, the blood looked enhanced and she looks fine to me.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zero260 said:

Yeah, I know it’s (non)reality television, but if these people represent the new mindset of singles in their 20’s/30’s, what a sad world we’re now living in. “If you’re not perfect, I’m outta here. And please refrain from anything that might ‘trigger’ me.”

I think dating apps have damaged dating, and I say this as someone who uses them. There might be someone better a swipe away, so why bother doing the work to improve a situation when you can just end it and get back on Hinge?

Now, I think these couples are fundamentally incompatible in many ways so they SHOULD break up (there is nothing but animosity between Emily and Brennan, they needed to split up weeks ago), but in general I think dating apps and social media have damaged our attention spans, and that plays out in dating.

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
(edited)

I agree that both Emily and Brennan are awful.  And neither have any self awareness.  But Emily wins on the lack of self awareness score.  Her negativity came through loud and clear at the after party, every week.  Trashing every other husband, filled with bitterness, getting in everyone's business.  Of course she may have been post-divorce at time of filming, but the person who we have seen in those segments was deeply negative and unaware of how she comes off.

Edited by Alexander Pope
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I don’t even think it was that nice. I think it should be expected. I don’t give him much credit for that. Of course he stayed with her in the hospital. Where else was he going to go?

On a blind date with Cameron? 😂

I enjoyed Emily's rant at Brennan, especially since she did it right - when he came back for his things and asked if she wanted to talk she said "Nope!"  

I still think Austin is an ass, but Becca would be really hard work.

Michael and Chloe - gross blurred action, gross trip to sex shop, and "Dr. Pia" asking if they had "masturbated in front of each other"?  Gross!  (Paging Lindsay! 😄)

In addition to dating apps ruining attention spans, the other flaw I see in the modern dating world is the women having to act like they are SO INTO THE SEX!  They overdo it and I don't believe it anyway.  And the guys aren't as titillated as the girls seem to think they should be by it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, LakeGal said:

Emily sitting on the public bathroom floor was disturbing.  I kept thinking how dirty it probably was.  

And that’s probably not the first time she has sprawled out on a public bathroom floor either!

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

12 hours ago, cinsays said:

All the talk about Brennan and Austin being different off camera. Yeah, but I imagine their wives are too. 

Agreed.  I think most of the women come across as “performing” for the camera as well.   I don’t think any of them have taken much responsibility for their role in their relationship issues either.   Becca keeps saying Austin is concerned about how  he will be portrayed on tv.  but he’s not directly saying that.   He’s saying he disagrees with her perception of his character.   Even in the hidden camera apartment footage, Becca was the one who said Austin is only concerned about the cameras.  

The men have not spent much time speaking negatively about their wives with each other or with their friends.   But all the ladies have criticized their husbands with anyone who would listen.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, After7Only said:

The men have not spent much time speaking negatively about their wives with each other or with their friends.   But all the ladies have criticized their husbands with anyone who would listen.

Haha the women cry and talk badly about their husbands; the husbands try to date other women 😂

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

if the quote is from my post please note..... it was sarcasm lol

I think you meant to be sarcastic but I think Brennan was seriously trying to sell himself as having saved Emily's life. He didn't. It's ridiculous for him to even say that.

And I also do not for a moment think Emily was ever in danger when she had the accident, it was all a bunch of faked drama, the blood looked enhanced and she looks fine to me.  

I think she was "in danger" in the sense that it was a serious injury and it required professional medical care. I don't think it was ever a life threatening injury - not with that many people around and proximity to emergency medical services. But it definitely needed assessment and treatment by people who knew what they were doing.

I don't think the blood was enhanced. Head wounds bleed tremendously. I've seen a few and it's really incredible how much blood can pour out so quickly and the person still be awake and oriented. 

• Like 8
10 hours ago, Alexander Pope said:

I agree that both Emily and Brennan are awful.  And neither have any self awareness.  But Emily wins on the lack of self awareness score.  Her negativity came through loud and clear at the after party, every week.  Trashing every other husband, filled with bitterness, getting in everyone's business.  Of course she may have been post-divorce at time of filming, but the person who we have seen in those segments was deeply negative and unaware of how she comes off.

I think a factor in Emily seeing herself as the persona of positivity may be her drinking.  I have noticed that some people when they drink become louder and ruder and interpret that as their being the 'life of the party' and super fun.  I have had friends that became mean drunks (not physically but verbally) and thought they were just the funniest people ever, but in reality were very hurtful (towards others as well as towards me personally).  Yes, other people laugh at what they say but that doesn't mean what they said was positive or actually funny.  Emily may (or may not) fall into this category because she was really ANGRY that he did not see how so very 'positive' she is.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
27 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I think a factor in Emily seeing herself as the persona of positivity may be her drinking.  I have noticed that some people when they drink become louder and ruder and interpret that as their being the 'life of the party' and super fun.  I have had friends that became mean drunks (not physically but verbally) and thought they were just the funniest people ever, but in reality were very hurtful (towards others as well as towards me personally).  Yes, other people laugh at what they say but that doesn't mean what they said was positive or actually funny.  Emily may (or may not) fall into this category because she was really ANGRY that he did not see how so very 'positive' she is.

Agreed. I find the drunken “wooooo girl” thing to be pretty annoying. Emily may not yet realize that it can be, particularly as she gets older. Brennan has been shown to be embarrassed by it (she was drunk and twerking at Michael and Chloe’s wedding and Brennan was cringing), so the “life of the party” thing isn’t working on him and never has.

• Like 8
22 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I know, I have the same problem and my hearing is fine.  I have to keep the closed captioning on when I watch this and some other reality shows.  It's the only way I know what's going on.  

And I can't take the off the charts vocal fry with these women!  Emily in particular sounds ridiculous.  My husband says she sounds like she just drank a gallon of gasoline!  It's very unattractive in my opinion.  The men don't talk that way at all.  

LOL, I know, I thought that too.  I even saw a celebrity chef wearing that backwards cap the other day on a show and was very disappointed in him.  So all guys now want to look like over the hill, obnoxious, Spring Break frat boys?  Ridiculous!

21 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I don't care for any of these participants (maybe Michael a little bit, but he seems quite performative).  None of them look at themselves-it's always the other person who is in the wrong (Chloe and Michael haven't been pointing fingers).  I think we are seeing the result of everyone being told they should be strong and independent and not understand that it means they are always 'right' and that compromise is sometimes important rather than always getting what one wants.

I think we are seeing why these people are still unattached at their age.  Many of them are unwilling to bend and compromise.  If you can't do that forget about marriage!  You are not the center of the universe anymore in a relationship.  It's not your way or the highway.  If so, you are not marriage material.  Austin's friend telling him not to go against who he is as a person - Unfortunately Austin will interpret that to mean he should have everything his way or no way.  That is not helping him at all.

• Like 7
  • Love 1