Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Cookie!

• Start Topic

Lofthouse "cookies" are an abomination.   I think people are fooled by the pretty (disgusting) icing and sprinkles.  What really floors me is that people buy their no-bake chocolate-oatmeal cookies for an outrageous price when you can make them at home, in minutes, for little cost, using basic pantry ingredients and a recipe easily found online.

• Love 2

I hate remembering cookies and then not being able to find any trace of their existence online. This thread made me remember a kind of Christmas sugar cookies that were cheap but I always liked the way they tasted. They came in a little mainly white plastic round container that was also red and green. The front of the container just said Holiday Cookies on the front. I know they were available in the 80's, 90's and found them in Dollar General a couple times in the 2000's after not seeing them for a long time. Not sure of the actual company that made them though.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

The fact that you can peel the frosting off is gross.  And just plain wrong - on so many levels.

There is some truth to this. But I asks have very...strange particulars about food. For me it's a plus that the frosting comes off easily.  Compared to spitting the chocolate chips out when I eat cookie dough this is nothing!!

On 2/25/2017 at 10:29 AM, AimingforYoko said:

The question you have to ask yourself: Would you eat those without the frosting? Because there's no way I would.

With or without, wouldn't go near them with a 10-foot pole.

• Love 3

I make those cookies from scratch all the time, they're no more complicated than any other cookie.   The combination of pastry flour and bread flour is unusual, not sure what it adds to the texture, but the cookies are the bomb.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Quof said:

I make those cookies from scratch all the time, they're no more complicated than any other cookie.   The combination of pastry flour and bread flour is unusual, not sure what it adds to the texture, but the cookies are the bomb.

It didn't seem very difficult. Maybe the chocolate disks instead of chocolate chips, the 5 minutes of mixing time and the refrigeration throw people off. Regardless, I'll take hand delivered cookie care packages from friends I hardly see any day of the week and twice on Sunday every day.

• Love 2

Ooh, macamadamia nuts! 

Sorry, but thanks to Homer Simpson, I can only say macadamia nuts as macamadamia nuts for the rest of my life.  I do occasionally buy macadamia nut cookies specifically so I can walk around saying it wrong.

• LOL 1

I add 2 cups of quick oats to the Tollhouse cookie recipe and underbake them by a minute or two so they're soft and chewy. 

I use to make giant cookies called Death by Chocolate from a recipe I cut out of the paper for bake sales when my kids were in 4-H. Unfortunately, the recipe got lost somewhere among the many moves since all my kids grew up & moved out. I've Googled the name, trying to find it, without any luck. I remember having to cut dark chocolate into chunks, and it had white chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and Macadamia nuts. 

On 11/30/2016 at 1:17 PM, Lisin said:

These Mocha Crinkle Cookies are always a huge hit and doubling it makes about 60 in one batch so they're nice for a swap, and they ship well too! I feel like when I make them I use Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder because that's how I roll. It always makes things taste a bit "fancier" or something. 

Crinkle cookies are my VERY favorite.  Whole Foods sold them and had a lemon version, too, both were delicious.  They tasted homemade so I didn't have to bake them.  They stopped carrying them.  I considered violence but eventually a sounder mind took hold and I canned that idea.  I keep looking though, just in case. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

All this talk of Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookies caused me to go get the recipe. I made the dough yesterday evening. I am not a cookie dough eating person, but when I tasted a bit of the dough I could hardly believe it.... sooooooooo good!!! I only had a 17oz bar of dark chocolate, so I used about half of it. A pound and a third just seems like way too much chocolate, but I'll add more after baking a few if I think it needs it. 

• Love 1

Tried a new recipe for chocolate chip cookies last night and I think it is now my new favorite recipe!  I love the texture - both crisp and chewy.

Left out the pecans, because the the kids and I are not big fans of nuts in cookies.

In general I enjoy the site as I like a lot of the recipes and the instructions provide a bit more guidance which helps when I am trying something new.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Tried a new recipe for chocolate chip cookies last night and I think it is now my new favorite recipe!  I love the texture - both crisp and chewy.

I'll have to try this. For some reason my boyfriend bought 5 lbs of rolled oats even though he only eats steel cut oats for breakfast, he claims it was an accident but I think he just wants cookies!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Will be reducing sugar and making that for the kidlet!

They were a tad sweet, so that is what I will do next time too.  I also used unsweetened coconut flakes because that is what I had on hand - I think sweetened coconut flakes would be totally unnecessary.

I made those cookies today... and yep... they are delicious!!! Mr. House is in love with them. I used bittersweet chips too, but I'd rather have semi sweet. I have another batch ready to go, so tomorrow I'll go buy the other chips. The Mr. said they were a little too sweet for him, but I have a sweet tooth. They were fine to me. Thanks for sharing.

• Love 2

My favorite thing about them is I don't like the frozen dough! Since there are only two of us when I make most cookies I scoop the dough put it in the freezer in a ziploc and then bake them off a few at a time so we don't eat a bunch of cookies or have them go stale. However, I love my more traditional chocolate chip cookie dough straight out of the freezer and so end up eating more than I should. I didn't do that with this dough.

• Love 2

There are only two of us also, but I go ahead and bake the whole batch. Then we vacumn seal them and freeze, we can take what we want and reseal. In this case, I was making these cookies for Mr to take to a funeral tomorrow. They asked for only green salads and desserts. So that's why I'm making a second batch so soon. Hmmmmm... which batch to give...

10 minutes ago, Trini said:

What is this "cookies going stale" you speak of??  ?

Okay they don't go stale but us eating all of them is even more of a problem. I find the freezer than baking them off so you always get fresh out of the oven cookies the better option.

• Love 2

Mr H reported back on the cookies, and people loved them!! They wanted to know what is in them, and some people took extras to take home. It's a good thing I decided to make a double batch. One man took 4 cookies to take home, and they never made it home. 

• Love 3

Chocolate Chip Cookies all the way. Yesterday was National Sugar Cookie Day, but sugar cookies are gross so fuck them.

Also, I thought this might be the best place to post this: the Pillsbury Doughboy is leaving us! :(

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It’s just leaving Smucker’s not the marketplace.

Oh, that was very misleading. Crisis averted, I guess! 

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Those look like Pepperidge Farms Brussels cookies.  (Sold near the Milanos, in bags.). If they taste like them, they are amazing!

They are but better, next time I will make a mint or orange batch because I love those versions of the Brussels! I am not trying to be coy with the recipe it’s just the book is new and he hasn’t published the recipe online and I would have to type it out!

• Love 1
On 11/30/2016 at 8:22 PM, ebk57 said:

Back in my cookie-baking days, this was the cookie most requested from, well, everyone.  It's easy.  And really good.

http://madaboutmaida.blogspot.com/2011/12/mulattoes.html

I left out the nuts because too many people don't like them.  

Now, I bring these with me to any party.  Also really easy.  And really good.  And no actual baking!

http://mhbakeoff.blogspot.com/2011/06/alfred-knopf-peanut-butter-candy.html

I've never make anything from a Maida Heatter cookbook that wasn't spectacular.

@ebk57, I don’t know if you are still on this site, but thank you for Maida’s Mulattoes recipe. They are amazing. I am now everyone’s favorite friend. So easy and such a great gift! But I do add the nuts. I use pecans. 

• Love 1

I made a batch of Chocolate Crinkles last weekend to take to a party (along with a Christmas ornament). I used Ghirardelli chocolate chips for the first time and boy - what a wonderful difference they made.  Love this recipe cause it's all made in a 2 qt saucepan, put in the fridge for the dough to get extremely cold/firm, and then rolled into small balls, that are then rolled in powdered sugar and baked. I'm not much of a baker (it's so darned precise!) but these are easy to make.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

These Salted butter chocolate chunk shortbread cookies are some of the most addictive things around. 

Those look AMAZING.  

I made these last week for Galentine's Day.  Honestly considered cancelling the event and just eating them until I burst.  They are a little bit of work and require some fridge time for the dough and German buttercream base, but they were INSANELY good.

I don't like white chocolate, but the carmelization process in this recipe makes it absolutely sublime.

Caramelised White Chocolate Brownie Cookies with Salted Dark Chocolate German Buttercream

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 1