Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Duggar-sized Wedding Planning

Less than three months away, Jill & Derick are making some big decisions! From cake tasting to touring venues, will they hit the sweet spot for their Duggar-sized dream wedding? Over in DC, Anna has her hands full with her little ones.

I'm confused why are they are saying less than three months. Shouldn't it be less than two months? After all, last week was Mother's day which is in May and the wedding is June, it's close to one month. Maybe they think since we already know they got married and are having a baby, TLC thinks screw time consistency and this is footage from April.

TLC is forever jumbling the footage.  That could well have been filmed in April.  They covered several weeks in last week's episode so they're probably skipping around putting clips together to make their plot.

Drink every time J'Chelle says "Mother-of-the-BRIDE!" It's always about her, isn't it?

Also, eyeroll at "Michelle is going with us to look at wedding venues, as our chaperone." A parent going along to help with the wedding plans is actually something normal families do just because they, you know, love each other. But it's always gotta be about "modesty" and "purity" for the Duggars!

Joseph looks EXACTLY like Jimbo. Poor kid.

What was up with the Lost Girl building a Soap Box Derpy car in her first communion dress, or whatever that heinous lace concoction was?

Edited by sweet201
  • Love 4

I swear we need a drinking game for every time they use Ben's first and last name. They act like we should be impressed by his name. He's a Seewald, not a Trump or a Rockefeller.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm so thankful Anna told us what stepping stones are. Precious

• Love 2

I would like the thank Jill for reminding us she is getting married, and Jessa is in a courtship with Ben at the start of the episode. I mean us heathens may have forgotten about it. *rolling eyes*

I cannot believe these people. Jill and Jessa cannot hug their husbands to be, siblings, or parents, but they can hug the woman making the cakes and the woman showing them wedding places. And the way Jill was looking at Derick and almost giggling at everything he says gets old really fast. Seriously girl, you are 23, not 13.

The way Anna speaks reminds of Michelle.  It is so special, awesome, and sweet!!!

These shows are sooooooo boring.  They would have been better off if they had just hit things head on, and done a 60-90 minute special about Jessa's engagement and Jill's wedding at least, like they did for the still birth/miscarriage.  Because we all know the outcome, this is just so much filler.  

And, by the way, those derby stock cars cost upwards of $400 a pop.  Plus wheels.  

• Love 1

TLC is forever jumbling the footage.  That could well have been filmed in April.  They covered several weeks in last week's episode so they're probably skipping around putting clips together to make their plot.

Bin moved to the compound in May. The giveaways were the WELCOME HARTONOS! sign (Jennifer Hartono graduated from Pensacola Christian College in May and her family was in the States from Indonesia), as well as the HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN! sign when they staged his "moving in." His birthday is in mid-May, around the same time as Jill's.

BIG editing gaffe in this episode: during the cake tasting segment, Jessa says that she's been courting Bin for 10 months. They started courting around this time last year, so 10 months would put us in JULY, or for purposes of this segment, AFTER Jill's wedding. Oopsie...that should have been edited out for continuity's sake. She was already talking about cake tasting, which probably happened in April for crying out loud!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

I'm so sick of them reiterating the courtship rules, as if anyone really cares outside of their stupid cult. Purity isn't something I am impressed by and it's not really an accomplishment if it's being externally enforced. Try wowing me with your work ethic, your smarts, your creativity, or your charitable works. Oh wait...

• Love 15

Couldn't they find another plotline for the "rest" of the family besides assembling those soapbox derby cars IN THE HOUSE? Talk about contrived for teevee, although there are those who will argue that it's all REAL!!! Whatever.

Shopping for venues was just as worthless; they knew where their mass of guests would fit...for both receptions.

• Love 1

I'm going to have to call b/s on the venue shopping. First of all, there's no way the country club would've allowed a reception in which there was no booze ($$$), no catered food ($$$), and no formal seating/tables at the reception ($). There's just no way they can make a profit without the food and booze. We know there were only little hors d'oeuvres and root beer floats or something. And, of course, they'll go with the church because there was no way they'd pony up renting chairs for 3,000 people.

I'm not saying there's a requirement to spend a set amount on your wedding. In fact, I applaud couples that would rather save money, invite fewer people, and keep it small. However, it's ridiculous to set up huge registries with very expensive gifts and offer your guests pretzels and some A&W.

• Love 6

wanderwoman, not to mention most venues have to be booked way in advance. Jill was planning a wedding on short notice during the height of the season. On what planet would she have been able to reserve a country club or catering hall three months out? That wasn't even a halfway believable producer-contrived storyline.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

I always enjoy seeing Anna doing crafts and projects with her kids. Unlike a certain mother, these scenes never feel fake or staged for the cameras to me. Plus, those kids are so darn cute. I loved Mackynzie cautioning Michael that just because it might LOOK like cookie dough that doesn't mean he should try to eat it. So cute!

The soap box derby thing, OTOH - lame. First, why are they doing it in the living room? Why not that giant garage Bin is living above? Or, I don't know - OUTSIDE, on your millions of acres of land??? Second, why does Boob have to turn everything into a competition? Why can't he just have fun with his kids? I did laugh, though, that the car he took over was put together wrong and he came in last. Idiot. 

And the way Jill was looking at Derick and almost giggling at everything he says gets old really fast. Seriously girl, you are 23, not 13.

That's because most girls have their first boyfriend at 13 - and all they do is hold hands and giggle at everything he says. For about a month. Then you get sick of each other and move on. These girls are continually warned against "giving away pieces of their heart" (aka "dating", learning how to navigate relationships and figure out what you want from a partner) so they've gotten a super late start and are not at the maturity level that other girls their age are at. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 7

And the way Jill was looking at Derick and almost giggling at everything he says gets old really fast. Seriously girl, you are 23, not 13.

All of this. And I wish she would do away with the 'awesome' and 'totally'. Jill is obviously a sweet person with a very generous nature, but my goodness, she lacks depth. I'd love to hear a conversation between Jill and Derick off camera. I hope it is filled with more than 'you're so sweet' and 'this is awesome'.

After seeing Jill get the younger girls together an episode back to make that welcome sign, I really feel like she missed her calling as a teacher. She would have been a great asset to an early elementary classroom.

• Love 3

Oh Lord did we really need to be subjected to fake wedding venue shopping when they knew exactly were the wedding would be held?

Mullet is so darn klassy  when she went to the country club venue. Yes, Mullet some people heck most people want their daughters to have a dream wedding and that would include real food being served. I guess in fundie circles it's the amount of people you can get into one church that makes it "your" wedding not actually having a few people that you really care about sharing a meal together not cheap finger food and punch.

Kudos to Derick for being worldly and serving cheese with figs! James is going to finally get some culture that the Duggars fail to teach their kids. 

And I want to ask why was Amy NOT in Jill's wedding party but she picked Anna instead. Why would they push Amy aside when she is their blood and they all grew up together?

Edited by Fuzzysox

If y'all have time on your hands read Jessa's new FB page Jessa Duggar Seewald. Seems like only the cult nuts are all excited for her since she is a Godly woman. Puke!

She is just a horny girl that was never given an opportunity to meet a nice guy date him and if it didn't work she could date someone else. Nope first guy that comes along she has to marry. Pretty sad.

Leave your comments on her FB you don't even have to like her page to make one. She needs to be brought down to realty that Bin is a loser and she could do so much better.

• Love 2

Mullet is so darn klassy  when she went to the country club venue. Yes, Mullet some people heck most people want their daughters to have a dream wedding and that would include real food being served. I guess in fundie circles it's the amount of people you can get into one church that makes it "your" wedding not actually having a few people that you really care about sharing a meal together not cheap finger food and punch.

And I want to ask why was Amy NOT in Jill's wedding party but she picked Anna instead. Why would they push Amy aside when she is their blood and they all grew up together?

But if you don't send out thousands of invitations, how are you ever going to obtain the 32,000 items on your gift registry?!

Also, Fuzzysox, it's so funny you mentioned the bridesmaid thing, because I had the exact same thought when I was watching this epi. Jill's known Amy a lot longer than she's known Anna, so it seems like kind of a slight to me. Other than dropping her spawn off at the TTM, I've never really seen Anna socialize with the J'Slaves. 

• Love 3

I am not bothered at all with Jill's giggling at Derrick- I hope she never stops. It is one of my own quirks...I am 59 and I giggle with my bf of five years. It's our thing.

I wish TLC would show the wedding, we already know she's pregnant.

No offense, but giggling with a best friend is different from acting like a 13 year old around your future spouse. Romance is all fine and dandy at the beginning of the relationship and marriage, but the newness will rub off sooner or later. Of course, the poor girl has been taught to sit there and look at her man in a sweet and adorable way and not question him at all.

I hope Derick doesn't get bored with "sweet" Jill; it's so very disappointing that they're apparently signing up for this dog-and-pony show!

And I'm not even sure he's old enough -- and I am certainly TOO old for him -- but I'm almost getting a cougar crush on Jer; he's going to be the catch of the Duggar boys.

• Love 1

I think Amy is tolerated -- to a point. But I think it's pretty clear Boob and J'Chelle don't want her around the kids more than is absolutely necessary. I'm sure they're nice to her, but I imagine there are a lot of conversations about her when she's not around. And to people like the Duggars, who are obviously concerned with appearances, there is probably a fear that Amy on the altar could send the wrong message.

I always enjoy seeing Anna doing crafts and projects with her kids. Unlike a certain mother, these scenes never feel fake or staged for the cameras to me. Plus, those kids are so darn cute. I loved Mackynzie cautioning Michael that just because it might LOOK like cookie dough that doesn't mean he should try to eat it. So cute!

Agreed. She actually seems like a good mom -- loving and involved. And Mackynzie seems like an intelligent, articulate little girl. 

And I'm not even sure he's old enough -- and I am certainly TOO old for him -- but I'm almost getting a cougar crush on Jer; he's going to be the catch of the Duggar boys.

Jer, Jed and Josiah seem like they would all be great catches if they could pursue their true interests and not get stuck doing the type of crap manual labor jobs Boob seems to favor. Those three boys are incredibly articulate and bright. 

• Love 2

If y'all have time on your hands read Jessa's new FB page Jessa Duggar Seewald. Seems like only the cult nuts are all excited for her since she is a Godly woman. Puke!

She is just a horny girl that was never given an opportunity to meet a nice guy date him and if it didn't work she could date someone else. Nope first guy that comes along she has to marry. Pretty sad.

Leave your comments on her FB you don't even have to like her page to make one. She needs to be brought down to realty that Bin is a loser and she could do so much better.

I wonder what they think makes her so "godly?" I am really bewildered.

I think she registered Seewald online (like Jill did with Dillard) before the wedding, to 'claim' it.  Yes, in some ways, it's the equivalent of a teen girl writing her first name and her boyfriend's last name on her book cover and notebook (and any other flat surface she can find), but it's also a pretty good idea. This way, it's really her, and not some random fan, or not-fan, using it for themselves.

• Love 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with registering the name as soon as possible so that some yahoo doesn't get it and pretend to be her - but I wouldn't post *from* it until after the marriage. I will admit that I registered firstinitiallastname@gmail.com as soon as I got engaged, but I promise I didn't use it until I actually got married. In this case with weird people and creepy pretenders, I can't fault registering the name ASAP. Posting from it - you're just asking for speculation and criticism.

• Love 4

I find it interesting listening to Jessa's wedding planning. I thought she'd be all princessy and bridezillaish, but she seems very - not normal, not down to earth, not plain, but - I don't know....basic?  She doesn't want a cake, she doesn't want a big wedding...I just find it surprising.

Anna is very good with her kids , it kind of surprises me.

Would Jill and Derrick stop holding hands in that stupid way please!?!  (hands up in the air when she is in front).

• Love 2

I give Anna all kinds of props for dealing with cement in her kitchen with three kids under five. I wouldn't be brave enough to deal with that in my kitchen, and my youngest is ten. The kids had fun, she was calm and they have a lovely keepsake. You go girl!

Jessa "doesn't want a big wedding" but she sure isn't turning down the presents she's getting.  I think their not wanting big weddings has more to do with not wanting to pay for anything.  And the Duggars love getting something for nothing.

• Love 3

Jessa "doesn't want a big wedding" but she sure isn't turning down the presents she's getting.  I think their not wanting big weddings has more to do with not wanting to pay for anything.  And the Duggars love getting something for nothing.

Ha ha, right? She can't be bothered to serve her guests cake but has no issue asking for a thousand dollar Mac Book and iPad to match! 

• Love 4
I find it interesting listening to Jessa's wedding planning. I thought she'd be all princessy and bridezillaish, but she seems very - not normal, not down to earth, not plain, but - I don't know....basic?  She doesn't want a cake, she doesn't want a big wedding...I just find it surprising.

This surprised me too. She seemed like the type to be princessy and bridezillaish, She'd be the last Duggar I'd expect to want not a big wedding. Part of me wonder if its part of jealousy I mean Jill flew halfway around the world, got engaged very fast, is having a huge thousand guest wedding and gets a really nice house after marriage. This all happened during the time it when Jessa was suppose to be the first Duggar daughter to do all of that and get all of the attention. She's also used to getting all of the attention and whatever she wants especially over her sisters. Fighting with her sister? She gets rewarded by her sister having to give her, her jewelry box. Saying she doesn't want a wedding cake while her sister is sampling cakes for her wedding? To me it sounded like the same thing except this time no one's giving into her. 

Well it was nice to finally meet the family friend who baked the lopsided cake for the Dillard wedding.  At least now we know that small cake didn't fee 1,000 people, but they had sheet cakes available.

And what's with Jessa, "I don't want cake at my wedding, I want ice cream because I'm non-traditional".  WTF.

The cake was an embarrassment. Not properly doweled to make the cake hold up and just plain not what I would expect for people that can actually afford a cake. Everything will live in pictures forever. If I had a baking business I would have NEVER showed up with that cake. Bad advertising!

I sure hope that Jessa comes to her senses and does not use the same person. I know she wants ice cream no cake but how the heck do you cut ice cream instead of a traditional cake? That girl is out there stoopid or just knows that she is being railroaded and plainly is just in it for the money/gifts.

• Love 1
And what's with Jessa, "I don't want cake at my wedding, I want ice cream because I'm non-traditional".  WTF.

That was one of the only things Jessa has ever said that I liked. I am not a huge fan of cake and I LOVE ice cream. I started envisioning a table with self-serve soft serve and adorable little bowls full of toppings, and it made me want to get married all over again (and forgo the courthouse this time). 

• Love 1

I kinda think ice cream is fun... there wouldn't be "cutting", but they could "feed" each other a spoonful. An ice cream bar would be totally fun and I will encourage my 3 girls to consider it. It seems like the theme of weddings these days is "something different" as well as "non-traditional", so it doesn't surprise me to hear that.

Well that explains it, I haven't been to a wedding in over 10 years and have never even though a bride and groom would have a wedding without cutting a cake.  I don't think I've even seen ice cream instead of cake on Four Weddings.