Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Duggar-sized Wedding Planning

Will Armold- Klein is the son of The Little Couple. He loves cake!

Maybe Jessa and Ben will have an ice cream wedding cake.  But that won't be good enough for Will because it's not actually keck keck keck!  Lol, I tried to spell it like how he pronounces it.

• Love 3

Just want to say that I had a wedding that wasn't completely unlike the Duggars and had a home baker do my cake for almost nothing to feed 250 (no sheet cake) plus leaving the top for us to keep a year. We had buttercream frosting and it looked fabulous!

As someone pointed out, the cakes themselves aren't correctly baked. I get the shabby chic look, so the frosting looks "rough" and the flowers and ribbon are deliberately asymmetrical, but the cakes beneath them don't look correct, in my opinion.

I find it interesting listening to Jessa's wedding planning. I thought she'd be all princessy and bridezillaish, but she seems very - not normal, not down to earth, not plain, but - I don't know....basic?  She doesn't want a cake, she doesn't want a big wedding...I just find it surprising.

Anna is very good with her kids , it kind of surprises me.

Would Jill and Derrick stop holding hands in that stupid way please!?!  (hands up in the air when she is in front).

Really!  I wonder if they're going to let go of each other when they're putting on jackets and coats when the weather gets cold?  Something tells me this is Jill's idea...

I don't believe wedding registries are need-based.  Otherwise, grown adults in their 30s who've each been living in their own fully furnished homes for years before getting married wouldn't "qualify" for anything, either.  The original intent was to help equip a FIRST home; today's average couple brings two of everything to the mix!

• Love 3

Just want to say that I had a wedding that wasn't completely unlike the Duggars and had a home baker do my cake for almost nothing to feed 250 (no sheet cake) plus leaving the top for us to keep a year. We had buttercream frosting and it looked fabulous!

As someone pointed out, the cakes themselves aren't correctly baked. I get the shabby chic look, so the frosting looks "rough" and the flowers and ribbon are deliberately asymmetrical, but the cakes beneath them don't look correct, in my opinion.

I think if you look at the shower cake linked above you get an idea of what was expected. The shower cake was lovely, simple and (dare I say it) sweet. The hobby baker was just in over her head on a larger cake. Perhaps it was the stress of the event or just a hot day or transportation problems. Who knows. I thought it looked fine for what it was and a thoughtful GIFT to the bride and groom. I only find fault with those horrible bridesmaid hems and used brown shoes. That's where they I give them a "what were they thinking?"
  • Love 1

the place most people register in Canada (The Bay) gives the couple a discount for items on their registry that weren't purchased. There is an incentive to list asinine things you don't expect people to purchase because you know you receive 20% or whatever off after the wedding.

This is a thing in the US, too. The place that most Americans register at (at least, around me) - Bed, Bath, and Beyond - gives couples 20% off things left on the registry after their event. Target gives you 10% off, I think. (My sister just got married and got both offers in the mail.)

BTW, who is Will Arnold?

Son of "The Little Couple", maybe?

Yes, Will Arnold Klein son of the Little Couple (best family ever) cutest kid ever that LOVES cake!!! Cake, cake, cake! Yep, he won't be attending Jessa's wedding because there will be none.

I really hope there won't be a wedding either but I think they're just to far down the courting road to back out now.
  • Love 2

I only find fault with those horrible bridesmaid hems and used brown shoes. That's where they I give them a "what were they thinking?"

The cake pales in comparison to those shitfests. Seriously, Jessa had on the type of flip flop sandals you wear to the beach or throw on when you're grabbing takeout. They could have bought shoes at Dillard's or Macy's for sixty bucks. The poorly made modesty panels were even worse. If they needed to add material they should have had a REAL seamstress do the work. 

I just can't imagine Jill hired a "professional" wedding planner and that's the best they could come up with. I'd ask for my money back.

• Love 2

I agree that Cousin Amy is more in the "Love The Sinner - Hate The Sin" type camp.  She's not as Godly or modest as the rest of the family (she wears pants - **gasp!**).

I'll be curious to see what happens with Jill and Derek.  I'm actually surprised her Daddy endorsed him, as he has a real world job, and went to a real college, and has his own thoughts and ideas, and doesn't seem to be a part of their odd religious "demonination".  Either he'll turn Jill, or he'll grow tired of her and toss her.  Hard to say.

This is a thing in the US, too. The place that most Americans register at (at least, around me) - Bed, Bath, and Beyond - gives couples 20% off things left on the registry after their event. Target gives you 10% off, I think. (My sister just got married and got both offers in the mail.)

I don't see this as a big deal in the case of BBB, since those 20% off coupons that never expire are pretty standard issue. I've got a whole stack of them that they mailed me over the years, and I hardly ever shop there.

I don't see this as a big deal in the case of BBB, since those 20% off coupons that never expire are pretty standard issue. I've got a whole stack of them that they mailed me over the years, and I hardly ever shop there.

I'm pretty sure that those coupons are a one per transaction per day type thing and they do have expiration dates. Plus, they're only good on one non-sale item. The registry thing, as I understood it, was 20% off anything on your registry for a year after the event. Maybe same end result, but with a little more wiggle room than the unsolicited coupons.

You might not expect someone to buy you the $700 knife set, but $140 off when you go to buy it yourself would be a great deal.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure that those coupons are a one per transaction per day type thing and they do have expiration dates.

They do have expiration dates but my local BBB honors them anyway. I have trouble finding stuff to buy in there anyway. It is so crammed, I can't find anything.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 3

The way Anna speaks reminds of Michelle. It is so special, awesome, and sweet!!!

Don't forget "exciting"!

And, "Neat!"

Duggar Wedding Venue Hunters was even faker than House Hunters.

• Love 2

I had people pitching a fit about my bridesmaids' off the shoulder sleeves (but extremely modest) gowns and I had to add extra lace ON TOP OF my up to the chin netting because my gown wasn't modest enough, so I completely sympathize with what Jill would have been going through, trying to do a stylish, up to date, but still modest wedding.

But those modesty panels at the bottom of the bridesmaid dresses? Not the answer.

And those shoes had nothing to do with modesty and everything to do with Blech!!

TLC is the bride channel and they couldn't help with Jill's wedding planning?? Couldn't Monty from Brides by Lorie help them find a dress and bridesmaid dresses????? It would have been a good cross show to see. I have to wonder if that idea ever got pitched to them but because Monty is gay they rejected it. Now those horrible bridesmaid dresses, and horrible shoes from Walmart (yes I saw those shoes at Walmart) and lopsided cake is all I remember.

• Love 1

Those bridesmaid dresses are horrific. I don't understand the point of the white modesty trim at the bottom.....it just draws attention to "oh, look, we're sooooooo modest, see, look at us, MODEST" and defeats the purpose. Those shoes.......ugh. I broke a heel at work and had to make an emergency trip to target - bought some NEW plain black pumps for $12. They look like $12 faux leather Target pumps if you look closely, but unless you staring at what peeks from under pants, they passed. They look a whole lot more stylish than those busted brown mismatch sandals.

Oh, and I would have not had any idea that was Anna if it wasn't captioned. Oh, again, I'm noticing some wedge heels now. *ahem* copying Bates? * ahem. I guess if there is no actual heel, they're modest?

Last note, Ben must be really short. All the Duggar girls are short and most are petite (not are fat, but there's a difference in teensy framed and normal framed at a shorter height), and Jessa is always wearing pancake flat shoes with him. He's barely taller than her. If he has Napoleon Syndrome (insecure over height so tries to conquer the world or at least his surroundings), that explains so much.

• Love 2

How tall is Jill? When Derrick picked her up, he was nearly as tall as the door of their home. But she doesn't look particularly short next to him, and she was wearing the sport sandals, so it wasn't heels. And we know she asked for someone tall, because her chaperone told us. So I think she must be taller than her sisters.

abseedee--Thanks for posting the link to the bridesmaid dress.  And right there, on her Pinterest page, was a bridesmaid in a mint green dress with a brown belt and hideous shoes!  So she was "inspired" to re-create this look on her special day. It was not just an unfortunate accident.

• Love 2

How tall is Jill? When Derrick picked her up, he was nearly as tall as the door of their home. But she doesn't look particularly short next to him, and she was wearing the sport sandals, so it wasn't heels. And we know she asked for someone tall, because her chaperone told us. So I think she must be taller than her sisters.

I can't remember where I've read it but it was said she was 5' 6".

eta:  Should have used the multi-quote.....but, you're welcome overbooked.  The caption below the picture said Afternoon Wedding so I guess the reason for the flat sandals which I thought was much nicer than those used by the Duggar girls.  The bottom of the bridesmaids dresses didn't look anything like the one pictured with no second layer of mint and only a peek of white at the bottom.

Edited by abseedee

Those bridesmaid dresses are horrific. I don't understand the point of the white modesty trim at the bottom.....it just draws attention to "oh, look, we're sooooooo modest, see, look at us, MODEST" and defeats the purpose. 

Being modest is godly. Being seen to be modest is Duggarly.

• Love 12

Being modest is godly. Being seen to be modest is Duggarly.

Exactly. Just buy longer dresses, or select a style and seamstress who make can incorporate it all together without drawing attention to the areas they're trying to hide. Tea length dresses with sleeves aren't exactly a new style.

It's like when those Sister Wives try to modify a tween size strappy tank into modesty, by putting a skin tight turtleneck underneath. It just looks ridiculous and defeats the purpose.

• Love 4

Upon hearing that there is a possibility that no cake will be served at Jess's wedding, Will Arnold has declined his invitation! lol

Bwahahaha!! It took me a second. I was like, wait, the Klein-Arnolds were invited to the wedding? Was this some kind of TLC-verse nonsense I missed? LMAO! Good one.

I just can't imagine Jill hired a "professional" wedding planner and that's the best they could come up with. I'd ask for my money back.

They didn't really hire and pay a professional wedding planner.  I doubt they paid Venessa anything.  She was Jill's midwifery mentor and no doubt the planning was her gift.  I've heard stories that she's an unholy terror to work with on the few weddings that she's done and few people will work with her any more. 

I've always felt there were a several planners. Jill's friend, the church ladies (I call them that because my mom was one) and TLC production. All the professional looking country casual signage and some of the décor while "shaby" was very well done and I thought production did many of those items.

Well that explains it, I haven't been to a wedding in over 10 years and have never even though a bride and groom would have a wedding without cutting a cake.  I don't think I've even seen ice cream instead of cake on Four Weddings.

I'm not sure if it's a trend or not, but when I got married over 10 years ago, we had a cake (it was part of the venue/catering package), but we didn't do an "official" cutting or anything. We also had a bunch of other desserts as well. I don't mind a more casual wedding and reception: one doesn't need a formal sit down dinner, etc. But depending on where the guests are coming from, they may expect and/or need substantial food. Maybe most of the Duggar guests are very local, and don't really need more than a snack.

I'm pretty sure that those coupons are a one per transaction per day type thing and they do have expiration dates. Plus, they're only good on one non-sale item. The registry thing, as I understood it, was 20% off anything on your registry for a year after the event. Maybe same end result, but with a little more wiggle room than the unsolicited coupons.

You might not expect someone to buy you the $700 knife set, but $140 off when you go to buy it yourself would be a great deal.

I bring in a stack of the coupons every time I go there, and they honor them all, expired or not. But it might be more convenient to have the registry discount. Is BBB one of the places Jill and/or Jessa are registered?

• Love 1

Not for nothin', but BB&B honors any coupon, any time, even though the coupons say otherwise.  I carry mine with me, and if I shop there, I just hand them my stack of coupons at checkout, and they put my purchases together to maximize the coupon use. I believe they have even included sale items.  I don't think I have ever paid full price for anything in that store.  

And, yes, they do offer the registry discount after the event on any items you have not received from your registry.

• Love 2
BitterApple, on 12 Sept 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

The cake pales in comparison to those shitfests. Seriously, Jessa had on the type of flip flop sandals you wear to the beach or throw on when you're grabbing takeout. They could have bought shoes at Dillard's or Macy's for sixty bucks. The poorly made modesty panels were even worse. If they needed to add material they should have had a REAL seamstress do the work. 

I have kind of been wondering what the wedding planner actually did. I certainly wouldn't hire her after seeing what I have of the wedding and reception. 

Jellybeans, on 12 Sept 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

They do have expiration dates but my local BBB honors them anyway. I have trouble finding stuff to buy in there anyway. It is so crammed, I can't find anything.

Yep. They accept expired coupons. I was told once, though, that they only accept the coupons sent via mail after the expiration date, but not coupons printed from the Internet.

When we got married, if you returned an item from your Bed Bath and Beyond registry, you got cash back. Not store credit, cold hard cash. Granted, this was ten years ago, but still, it might be a financial incentive for Benessa to register for a million silly appliances if they can turn them into cash!

Edited by SunDevil28
  • Love 1

Did anyone else notice Josie holding on to Boob's arm during the derby car construction? And he was totally ignoring his "precious" youngest daughter.

I have to admit I was totally jealous when they rearranged the furniture and there was absolutely nothing under the sofas. Jeez, try that at my house and you'd find dust bunnies, cat toys, nail files, Q-Tips, and maybe even a Teamster or two.

• Love 5
I have to admit I was totally jealous when they rearranged the furniture and there was absolutely nothing under the sofas. Jeez, try that at my house and you'd find dust bunnies, cat toys, nail files, Q-Tips, and maybe even a Teamster or two.

But I'm guessing you don't have a dozen indentured servants, that you pass off as children, around to clean under the furniture for you. 

• Love 1

Don't feel bad, not everyone has four full-time, round the clock maids to keep the house spotless and prevent the little ones from making a mess.

I'm sure before the furniture was moved for filming it was moved and the whole room was cleaned first.  If production had wanted to make a thing of what was under the Duggar furniture, they would have placed several items to be discovered.  Am I jaded with fake reality?  ::giggle::

• Love 3

I'm sure before the furniture was moved for filming it was moved and the whole room was cleaned first.  If production had wanted to make a thing of what was under the Duggar furniture, they would have placed several items to be discovered.  Am I jaded with fake reality?  ::giggle::

I agree. Remember in episode where kids were getting living room ready for the Anniversary dinner theater, when they moved the furniture, there were dustballs & various items. One of the girls said it had been a while since they had done a thorough cleaning. Maybe cleaning under furniture could be added to Ben's "To Do" list.

That's because most girls have their first boyfriend at 13 - and all they do is hold hands and giggle at everything he says. For about a month. Then you get sick of each other and move on. These girls are continually warned against "giving away pieces of their heart" (aka "dating", learning how to

navigate relationships and figure out what you want from a partner) so they've gotten a super late start and are not at the maturity level that other girls their age are at.

Exactly! They also live in the year 2014! Are they not allowed to read a newspaper? Aren't they aware of divorce rates in this day and age? Those divorce rates are from young adults who got married after several dating experiences. I can't imagine there are no fundy marriages that didn't end in divorce? What happens then? These people act like they are living in the 1800's! ( wait over here till Pa hitches up the wagon, then we can all go into town! )

According to the Gothard fundie folks if their marriage is failing it's the woman's fault. Has nothing to do with responsibilities or maturity....it's just that the wife wasn't a good enough wife which caused X problem. Pretty lame, if you ask me.

• Love 1