Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Duggar-sized Wedding Planning

The cake was an embarrassment. Not properly doweled to make the cake hold up and just plain not what I would expect for people that can actually afford a cake. Everything will live in pictures forever. If I had a baking business I would have NEVER showed up with that cake. Bad advertising!

That cake looked like it would have slid off the stand if the temperature went up one more degree. It also looked like the woman used buttercream frosting, which won't last two seconds in Arkansas heat and humidity.

Regarding Jessa, I think an ice cream bar could be fun if done properly. However we all know the low-rent Duggars will just buy some economy sized tubs of generic ice cream, throw them on the table and call it a day.

• Love 4

I love ice cream and cake together. Yum! Anyway, is it only a wedding cake that she doesn't want or cake altogether. There are people that are lactose intolerant so I hope they will think to include sorbet.

They would probably say "you need to pray away that lactose intolerance".

Jessa not wanting anything big is her way of showing that she's more modest than Jill. It's always a competition with this family.

I find it beyond the pale that anyone in this family would have a registry for gifts. They are wealthy and do not need things to be purchased for them. If they did a "in lieu of gifts please make a donation to insertcharitynamehere" it would redeem them somewhat. But no, they have to go to stores and take pictures of themselves holding that laser thing they use to zap all the things they want. Because they're MODEST.

• Love 11

Regarding Jessa, I think an ice cream bar could be fun if done properly. However we all know the low-rent Duggars will just buy some economy sized tubs of generic ice cream, throw them on the table and call it a day.

They'll need to keep the ice cream frozen until ready to serve.  Dry ice would be good for that.  It will get messy if they start to melt.  But then, that would be a lot of dry ice they'll need and I'm not sure they would want to spend extra for that.  Hehe, DHB worked for an ice cream factory and during lunch he would pack ice cream in dry ice, throw it in the truck and go back to work.  When he gets home the ice cream is still nice and frozen.

I actually never saw Jessa as someone who was princess-y, but as someone who was rather desperate to be her own person. I think even down to kicking Jana's bed, she was trying to get her PARENT'S attention, not bully Jana, and when she remembers that story she isn't smiling because she remembers hurting her sister, but because there is actually a family story with her at the center of it, even if it isn't a particularly nice one.

In a dowdy and frumpy family, she tried to look stylish. In a family that gushed over stupid things, she tried to be calm and practical.

In a world where fairy tale weddings are the norm, she'll try to find something different. Otherwise no one will remember her wedding in the midst of all the other Duggar/Bates weddings everyone is carting around to these days.

• Love 5

The bride and groom's registry, which lists products from retailers Bed, Bath, & Beyond and Amazon, includes everything from an Apple MacBook Air computer ($899) to a bamboo cutting board shaped like Arkansas ($19.99), a pink hairdryer ($19.99), and, yes, even a night-light shaped like an owl for $9.99.  The night-light isn't the only item they're seeking with the bird on it, either! The couple also want hand towels with owls on them that read "Life's a hoot," and a scarf organizer featuring the animal.  Additionally, the couple are asking for standard household items and an array of gift cards to restaurants like Outback Steakhouse, Applebee's, Red Robin, Subway, Ruby Tuesday, P.F. Changs and more eateries.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jessa-duggar-ben-seewalds-wedding-registry-revealed-201499#ixzz3D21mIUOa

The pair have also requested gift cards for Starbucks and restaurants including The Cheesecake Factory.  There's, of course, the home items like plate and silverware sets, pots and pans, and a Magic Bullet Dessert Bullet.  Finally, they have asked for monogram towel sets with an "S" on them for "Seewald" and a variety of bedding and luggage.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/19-kids-countings-jessa-duggar-ben-seewald-wedding/story?id=25388235

Edited by JerseyGirl

Took a quick look and they sure want a lot of bedding and picture frames. It looks like they know where they will be living considering the curtains and number of bathroom sets. I didn't get to the end, there's sooooo much stuff they "want"!

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1

they want alot, but their wedding will be "simple":

Ben told the entertainment magazine, "We have most of our planning done. When you're planning a wedding, you can make it complicated or make it simple, and we are trying to make ours simple. There are some things that have to be done right before the wedding, but for the most part, we're ready."  The bride seems to be pretty calm. Not only are her bridesmaids set, she's got her own dress ready, too.  Jessa explained, "I picked out my wedding dress a couple of days ago. I went with the second dress I tried on — I love it."  Ben is currently living on the family's property while he completes his sophomore year in college. The political science major studies while his fiancée plans the wedding next to him on her laptop.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/19-kids-countings-jessa-duggar-ben-seewald-wedding/story?id=25388235

Bin is doing on-line all the way.  Which means not very much, especially with the lady love right next to him..

Which is even the more reason why I don't buy he's in college. Most brick-and-mortar schools have online degree programs, so that's not my issue, I just don't think he's legitimately enrolled in one. I did some of my courses online while working full time, and I didn't have a second of free time in my day. Bin is traveling with the Duggars, going on fake mission trips, working for Boob and planning a wedding seemingly stress-free. It just doesn't jibe with someone who is balancing work and school.

• Love 2

Jer, Jed and Josiah seem like they would all be great catches if they could pursue their true interests and not get stuck doing the type of crap manual labor jobs Boob seems to favor. Those three boys are incredibly articulate and bright. 

It'll never happen.  JB can't have his boys being more "successful" than he is.  Besides it would mean real-world college in most cases.  And didn't I read somewhere that the whatever-fundie group they're part of believes you must be self-employed?  You're not supposed to work for anyone else, other than family of course.  I wonder how Derick squeaked past that one - doesn't he work for WalMart?

I find it beyond the pale that anyone in this family would have a registry for gifts. They are wealthy and do not need things to be purchased for them. If they did a "in lieu of gifts please make a donation to insertcharitynamehere" it would redeem them somewhat. But no, they have to go to stores and take pictures of themselves holding that laser thing they use to zap all the things they want. Because they're MODEST.

To be fair, I don't think we know that the kids themselves are "wealthy". We have no idea what has been done with their money over the years. Or what skills they have been taught as far as budgeting and saving. When you see kids getting paid a penny to their chores, you have to wonder if they have a strong grasp of finances. I wouldn't begrudge these girls who are starting out on their own (and never really owned anything of their own in that house to take with them) to register for furnishings for their new house. But I do think asking for expensive laptops and restaurant gift cards is ridiculous. 

• Love 2

I wouldn't begrudge these girls who are starting out on their own (and never really owned anything of their own in that house to take with them) to register for furnishings for their new house. But I do think asking for expensive laptops and restaurant gift cards is ridiculous. 

I agree. I think the Duggar kids' emotional and social IQ's are in the negative numbers. They don't realize that asking for thousand dollar laptops is gauche and inappropriate because they've never been socialized the way the rest of us have. I don't believe the girls have ever had an opportunity to control and manage their own money. For all we know, they may not even have bank accounts.

• Love 2

As far as registries go, I'm not as bothered that these kids are asking for ridiculous things. My son just got married, and when it was time to register, he and his wife were against it; they felt as though they were asking for gifts. When they did decide to go ahead and do it, this is how it worked: My daughter-in-law would read the name of the item, and my son would say, "No, I don't want one of those," or "That would be cool." Then she'd state her opinion, and they'd add it to the list, or not. They honestly gave it little thought and simply regarded it a societal convention they needed to follow, but they just wanted to get it over with.

I just started looking at this wedding registry and I am SO freaking disgusted already.  You want a freaking water filter for your Keurig coffee maker???  Seriously?  Do they even know what it costs to buy those individual pods?  You can make a single cup in a normal coffee maker- unless you are an idiot- and you can use filtered water from your refrigerator or another type of filter.  And just so they know, all the flavored coffee is not good for you- it is sprayed with crap.  Anyway, I'm going in another direction. 

Why don't you just go to Starbucks every day and have a cup like your mullet mom does?

• Love 2

I dont' have a problem with the registry.  People are going to want to give gifts, a registry helps them pick things you would like.  I do have a problem with the bride and groom saying where it is.  It is the job of the family and friends to get that info out there.  You KNOW mom and dad aren't going to give those the kids the things they really need, its the only way for them to get plates, pots and stuff.  Now, the computer and restaraunt gift cards....yeah, no.

• Love 1

True that they may not have much or if any money but they shouldn't expect things to just get handed over to them.  They're requesting for multiple lamps, candles, wall art, picture frames and whatever else.  Do they really need all of that?

I seriously considered sending Benessa a copy of The Betty Crocker Cookbook. If she wants all that cooking stuff, she's going to have to learn how to use it.

I can't WAIT to see how the pretty pretty princess deals with serving ice cream to 1000 people at her wedding. Jim Boob's not springing for servers or a soft-serve machine. She's going to end up with cake or cupcakes by default. IMHO of course.

I just started looking at this wedding registry and I am SO freaking disgusted already.  You want a freaking water filter for your Keurig coffee maker???  Seriously?  Do they even know what it costs to buy those individual pods?  You can make a single cup in a normal coffee maker- unless you are an idiot- and you can use filtered water from your refrigerator or another type of filter.  And just so they know, all the flavored coffee is not good for you- it is sprayed with crap.  Anyway, I'm going in another direction. 

Why don't you just go to Starbucks every day and have a cup like your mullet mom does?

Um, so far all Bin has is a aluminum room with no windows to furnish, so not a lot is needed until he can afford a house.

• Love 2

How do we know that's really their registry? I can see having a registry for family and friends, but I have a feeling their fans are buying them things too. It's too bad they haven't suggested a charity for their fans to donate to. I so want to mail them a big box of condoms, sex manuals, and sex toys!

• Love 1

How do we know that's really their registry? I can see having a registry for family and friends, but I have a feeling their fans are buying them things too. It's too bad they haven't suggested a charity for their fans to donate to. I so want to mail them a big box of condoms, sex manuals, and sex toys!

Apparently store policy makes it virtually impossible to set up a fake registry. I believe you have to show ID when you register. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

• Love 1

You can register online and never go to an actual store. I'm sure someone could trace the email used to create the registry and out and phonies right away though.

I didn't think about the fact that the "kids" probably don't have their own share of the TLC money. So I'll pull back on my annoyance of this family.

• Love 1

The cake was an embarrassment. Not properly doweled to make the cake hold up and just plain not what I would expect for people that can actually afford a cake. Everything will live in pictures forever. If I had a baking business I would have NEVER showed up with that cake. Bad advertising!

I had no idea what you were talking about.  I had to look up the pic.  It is SO BAD.  It is lopsided and an embarrassment to the woman that made it in her kitchen while breast-feeding the baby Jill delivered.  What was she thinking???

I'll attach the link I found in case anyone wants a peek - lol.  

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/5136987050056268/

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 2

Jessa has lived in a communal household her entire life. For the first, what, 15? they had a very limited income. She's never really owned anything of her own, so as obnoxious as that extensive registry is, I understand how she and Bin went whole hog and registered for every thing in sight. 

It's like when some poor kid from the sticks who went to bed hungry and lived in a shack becomes a pro athlete, and spends income on stupid flashy cars and tacky clothes.

• Love 3

Jessa has lived in a communal household her entire life. For the first, what, 15? they had a very limited income. She's never really owned anything of her own, so as obnoxious as that extensive registry is, I understand how she and Bin went whole hog and registered for every thing in sight. 

It's like when some poor kid from the sticks who went to bed hungry and lived in a shack becomes a pro athlete, and spends income on stupid flashy cars and tacky clothes.

I understand also, but it still annoys me.  Whereas an athlete might spend all the money he has earned himself, to me, it's like Jessa and Ben are having others spend for them.  I read on Jessa's instagram of a fan telling her that she bought seven items off of the registry and sending it to them and I'm sure Jessa and Ben know or assume that people will do this so why not put whatever they can think of on the list.  Seems greedy to me.  I'm also annoyed because I thought about a couple on our local news about a month ago.  The family had a house, the hubby a full time job and the wife part time and raising two kids.  The hubby had a heart attack and they couldn't keep up with the mortgage and bills so ended up in a homeless community living in a tent.  Later that evening my hubby and I gathered what we thought they could use and when we got to where they were there was already a long line of cars dropping off items to them.  When we watched the news the next evening they showed the family again.  They were thankful and grateful for what they have received and instead of keeping everything for themselves they only took what they needed and shared everything else with the other homeless families there.  So instead of only thinking of themselves they also thought of others.  Sorry, end of rant.

• Love 10

What I think is sad is that the fans were clearly doing the gifts for a chance at a personal message in return. I think that's important to remember - it's a quid pro quo. And I wonder if they even get that.

• Love 2

I forget where I saw it but a fan sent a message saying she sent them a gift. Apparently it is coming in two boxes. She wanted to make them aware. She then went on to say that she didn't see anywhere to include a message. So, here's this fan sending them something, and they won't even know (or care?) who sent it.

I had no idea what you were talking about.  I had to look up the pic.  It is SO BAD.  It is lopsided and an embarrassment to the woman that made it in her kitchen while breast-feeding the baby Jill delivered.  What was she thinking???

I'll attach the link I found in case anyone wants a peek - lol.  

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/5136987050056268/

While I was looking around for photos of Jill at the birthing center, I found this photo of Jill's bridal shower cake. I believe it was made by the same friend who made her wedding cake. It's too bad her wedding cake didn't turn out as expected because I thought the one at her bridal shower was quite lovely and classic.  And maybe it's just me, but other than her wedding cake being a bit lopsided, I didn't think it looked that bad. It looked like it would taste good at least (I really dislike the fondant stuff that I come across so often in wedding cakes).

• Love 5

Please, like anyone believed they were considering a country club. What a farce.

I was glad to see the middle kids though. They've grown so much!

I like Anna ans Smugger more than I used to. She does seem like a great mom - and you can tell its real unlike with Michelle. I hope they slow down the baby-making for their family's sake.

Thanks for posting a pic of Jill's cake truthtalk2014. I belong to a cake decorating FB page and look at cakes all day on my FB feed. If the baker used buttercreme she could have made it with meringue powder to make the buttercreme stiffer. Doesn't look like buttercreme to me though looks like plain ole frosting. Anyhoo she probably baked lopsided cakes and put them together. Once again someone that is a baker or is much better then her could have made Jill a beautiful cake. Boob failed on opening up his wallet.

IDK I sure hope Jessa doesn't have another hot mess creation from that woman. And I'm not knocking home bakers because I have seen some amazing cakes that they make. I'm just saying that this woman needs to have more experience before she sells her creations.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

Buttercream was a bad choice for the frosting, a professional baker would have recommended one that was a little stiffer and less likely to melt.

My sister-in-law is a pastry chef and made (my husband and) my wedding cake. Since I think fondant tastes like paste (even though it looks fantastic), I demanded buttercream. She soundly chewed me out (jokingly) after the wedding because any mistake she made in the patterning meant she had to start all over, whereas if she dented fontant she could just attend to that mistake.

Regarding the registry, I believe they registered for those crazy things assuming their fans would buy them, however; the place most people register in Canada (The Bay) gives the couple a discount for items on their registry that weren't purchased. There is an incentive to list asinine things you don't expect people to purchase because you know you receive 20% or whatever off after the wedding.

I actually don't think Jill's wedding cake looked that bad. If a baker presented that to me on my wedding day, I certainly wouldn't pitch a fit over it. I was reading a wedding magazine recently and it seems that cakes that aren't perfectly done are now a 'thing' for receptions.

• Love 2

I agree with how awful the wedding cake looked. I still can't imagine how a home kitchen could have baked cake for over l,000 people. I'm sure it was even more difficult to bake when a baby is hanging off your breast feeding chest. This woman "wore the uniform" of duggar-likeminded women... that long denim skirt was a dead give away. In any case, I'm sure it was offered free to her as her wedding gift, so Jim Bob didn't have to open the wallet on this one.

I don't think Jill's choice of white cake and strawberry filling ( which I'm sure was cheaply purchased from Sams Club,and a box cake mix) was very tasty as I remember some footage stating that they were "begging people" to have more cake. A ton was left over. If it tasted like it looked, it's easy to believe.

I don't mean to be nasty here, but a wedding cake is an important milestone in life and should be professionally done. With an outdoor reception in June planned, a sturdy cake and frosting should have been a no brainer.

• Love 2

Thanks, BitterApple, yes I agree that those sheet cakes might have been purchased. That would mesh well with Jill's commentary on the show after cake tasting, that the "wedding tiered cake" is for them to eat, and well, "the sheet cake ones can be for .....everybody else". She didn't come across as appreciating those of us who would be "everybody else" IMO. I also would think that those sheet cakes would have the same cake and filling flavors...don't you think? She really didn't seem to care much about any of that. When I was getting married, I knew what I was doing and knew what I wanted in a wedding cake whether it be for 10 people, or 1,000 people.

BTW, who is Will Arnold?