Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E16: One on One: Part 2

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Yes, they've all been manipulating the audience for years.  I guess they were willing to sell whatever dignity they had for the TLC paycheck and just outright lie and fabricate most of their lives for our "entertainment."  I wish reality tv producers would learn that the audience really wants reality, not a made-up version of events.  The melting down of Mary's wedding gift/ring just goes to show how much juicy stuff actually happened that nobody would fess up to. If the truth had been shown all these years, the ratings would have been through the roof!

Yes, and I’ve been saying for years that the real catfishing story would have been a hugely compelling story to tell, as it touched on so many issues pertinent to being a sister wife, especially how hard it is to share a husband.  But Meri came up with a fake cover story, and the rest of the family and TLC went with it and all participated in the lie.  

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Agreed.  When I first saw that eppie I got the distinct impression that Robyn was already paddling around in the deep end of that particular pool of knowledge.  She probably even helpd fill that catfish pool that Meri would eventually drown in.  I put NOTHING past her.  👀

She was probably gaslighting Meri too, and letting her believe she thought Sam/Jackie was just an innocent friend, so that Kody could be more angry with Meri when the truth would inevitably come out.  Robyn is sick and a master manipulator.  Speaks Kody! Ha! "Speaking Kody" means she knows what to say to manipulate him just so.

Edited by zenme
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, dariafan said:

Meri should have said when asked it’s a cool ring , right ?  Said NO

The worst part of that scene was immediately after Meri mentioned the ring and Kody was all, "well, I saw it and I liked it so I bought it, what of it?", Robyn is like, "hahaha well Meri, hahaha, why don't you tell Kody your deepest thoughts like we talked about, right?  Hahaha go ahead, Meri!"  It was so profoundly uncomfortable, I think I looked up from my game of Angry Birds to watch their body language.  It was one of Robyn's worst attempts at changing the subject to suit her narrative that I've ever seen from the Dark Queen...proof that she's losing control.

15 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

I was recently thinking about the episode where Bitch Robyn bought a t-shirt for Janelle and fretted that the largest size, might be too small. That really made me mad. How humiliating ! Robyn also told us she sometimes forgets to eat. Yeah, those days are clearly over ! 

I often look back on that very scene as proof that Robyn has been  passive-aggressively manipulating these women from way back.  In that instance, it was 100% intentional.  I also think back to the stupid couch giggle-fest between her and Kody regarding choosing her wedding dress...that might have been Robyn testing the waters on how the OG 3 would react.  When she knew she'd gotten under their skin, she started playing harder.  Handing Janelle a size large t-shirt and pretending to feel bad about it was a really sh!tty thing to do, but by then, she knew she had Kody's blessings on whatever crap she wanted to pull.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

They’re all a bunch of liars and have been lying to all of us since the beginning

Yes--I think Kody came up with the reality show idea, pitched it to his wives and Robyn (so the dating and adding 4th wife would be the main draw for the early seasons), and then they were all stuck in this dysfunctional unit because of contracts with TLC and they wanted the money/fame.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

Meri needs serious therapy. It is becoming increasingly clear that she clung to a situation where no one wanted her for years. It's really sad. The thing with the melting of the ring is so disrespectful and heartbreaking. I feel like I'm gaining a larger understanding during this Tell All of why Meri behaved like she did towards Christine, Janelle, and the kids. I think she was constantly fighting for her place in the family. Meri didn't handle it well and she should have taken her only child and left decades ago. 

Even during the Tell All, Meri continues to excuse Kody and downplay things that happened and how Robyn contributed to her disrespect and trauma. Losing her mother, who was likely her closest emotional connection, must have been one more trauma to throw on the pile. Meri has a lot to unpack with a therapist. 

Christine and Janelle are practically begging TLC for their own spinoff show. I would have no interest in that watching that. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Robyn’s response to the ring question reminds me of tonya Harding in the price of gold 30 for 30.  When she is telling how they had a paper with some handwriting and she confidently says it was not mine.  And then the next shot is the da saying we had it tested and it was hers 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Agreed.  When I first saw that eppie I got the distinct impression that Robyn was already paddling around in the deep end of that particular pool of knowledge.  She probably even helpd fill that catfish pool that Meri would eventually drown in.  I put NOTHING past her.  👀

I don’t put anything past her either, and I totally think she and Kody were both thrilled to get rid of Meri. I don’t think Robyn tricked or coerced Kody into anything. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1

Robyn never saw Janelle as a threat bc she thought Janelle was too fat and boring to be attractive, then when she saw Janelle was not bothered by her silliness, or at least attempted to divert it, she steered clear. She never had to try hard to get rid of Christine because Christine did not hide her frustration and jealousy well at all. Robyn knew Christine couldn’t contain emotions and Kody was easily annoyed by her. 
It is very interesting to see how Robyn changed from BYEEE to sobbing DONT GO to Meri, 

• Like 15
15 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

My spouse’s ring had 5 diamonds and cost more than my solitaire engagement ring and my plain wedding band combined. That is okay because we both got what we wanted. Of course we were in our 30s and employed at the time 

My husband's ring also had 5 diamonds, channel set... maybe it was more popular back in the day.

4 hours ago, zenme said:

She was probably gaslighting Meri too, and letting her believe she thought Sam/Jackie was just an innocent friend, so that Kody could be more angry with Meri when the truth would inevitably come out.  Robyn is sick and a master manipulator.  Speaks Kody! Ha! "Speaking Kody" means she knows what to say to manipulate him just so.

You are right about that!  It's a wonder how dense Kody is that he doesn't understand the "speaking Kody" is Robyn manipulating him.  To anyone else, that would be infuriating, but Kody probably thinks it's cute that Robyn has a special communication skill that works only with him!  Joker.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Meri needs serious therapy. It is becoming increasingly clear that she clung to a situation where no one wanted her for years. It's really sad. The thing with the melting of the ring is so disrespectful and heartbreaking. I feel like I'm gaining a larger understanding during this Tell All of why Meri behaved like she did towards Christine, Janelle, and the kids. I think she was constantly fighting for her place in the family. Meri didn't handle it well and she should have taken her only child and left decades ago. 

Even during the Tell All, Meri continues to excuse Kody and downplay things that happened and how Robyn contributed to her disrespect and trauma. Losing her mother, who was likely her closest emotional connection, must have been one more trauma to throw on the pile. Meri has a lot to unpack with a therapist. 

Christine and Janelle are practically begging TLC for their own spinoff show. I would have no interest in that watching that. 

Haven't Meri and the rest of the adults been going to therapy for years?  Remember, she even has the language down pat- putting up walls, not safe...

I know the story arc now is to feel bad for Meri, and Kody melting down his wedding ring was a horrible move, but I'm not drinking the Koolaid completely.  Meri was HBIC until Robyn came around (supposedly at Meri's invitation).  It was actually Christine who was the basement wife.  I'm not going to let recent events color the narrative I have viewed from the beginning (although I will admit it the whole story was crafted by them and is probably very far from reality).

• Like 9

Maybe I'm not a nice person, but if I was in Christine's situation, I'd be going scorched earth on everyone involved. If asked, I'd be telling the truth and not sugar coating anything. The selective outrage from Meri is strange to me. It seems she's been protecting Kody for a long time. The OG 3 should be a collective letting everyone know who Robyn and Kody really are.

It's also strange to me that they keep referring to the fight between Janelle and Kody in a way that makes it seem like it would be outlandish for a husband and wife to fight like this. I've been married to the love of my life for 30 years and in that time we've had some doozies. The fact that Janelle said they've never had a fight like this tells me that their marriage was very surface level and not very deep.

• Like 18
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I don’t put anything past her either, and I totally think she and Kody were both thrilled to get rid of Meri. I don’t think Robyn tricked or coerced Kody into anything. 

I wonder, though....sure, Kody may have wanted to get rid of Meri, but what did he think would happen to his paycheck from TLC if Meri left?  I think he and Robyn concocted a scheme where Kody could take several steps back from Meri, while Robyn play-acted the part of the loving sister wife who just wanted Meri to "hold on with her."  Basically they tag-teamed and played push-pull with Meri for 15+ years.  I think Meri finally bought a clue when Christine, of all people, found the spine to leave Kody's stupid ass.

13 minutes ago, Momma Snark said:

It's also strange to me that they keep referring to the fight between Janelle and Kody in a way that makes it seem like it would be outlandish for a husband and wife to fight like this. I've been married to the love of my life for 30 years and in that time we've had some doozies. The fact that Janelle said they've never had a fight like this tells me that their marriage was very surface level and not very deep.

Janelle is lying, but I can't figure out why.  She and Kody have both told us that Janelle has packed up her kids and left the family more than once, which suggests some pretty explosive arguments in their pasts.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Janelle is lying, but I can't figure out why.  She and Kody have both told us that Janelle has packed up her kids and left the family more than once, which suggests some pretty explosive arguments in their pasts.

Choosing to separate doesn't have to come from an explosive argument.  It can be as simple as I can't take this situation.  I think when Janelle separated before it was more from Meri than Kody.  Wasn't one of their kids conceived during a "separation?"

• Like 16
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, Momma Snark said:

I don’t agree with this at all. My husband and I have NEVER had an argument like that and our relationship is not “surface level.” I know many married couples who don’t fight like this and it’s not from a lack of depth. They just have a different communication style or skills at walking away from a disagreement before it escalates that far. 

I think that Janelle genuinely loved Kody for most of the time that she was married to him. I think she had deep and very real feelings for him. I have no idea what was going on in what passes for his head or his heart, but I don’t agree that they only had a surface level marriage. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 4
4 hours ago, Momma Snark said:

Maybe I'm not a nice person, but if I was in Christine's situation, I'd be going scorched earth on everyone involved. If asked, I'd be telling the truth and not sugar coating anything. The selective outrage from Meri is strange to me. It seems she's been protecting Kody for a long time. The OG 3 should be a collective letting everyone know who Robyn and Kody really are.

You and me both!  Many people are upset with Christine for sharing Meri's ring story.  And, I agree that story should have been Meri's to tell...but she didn't!  The viewing audience has been bamboozled for years as the Browns served up their version of a happy polygamous family- one that we now know isn't true.  I'm all about Christine or whoever (even Meri with her promise that her voice will be heard) spilling ALL the tea.  We deserve it and they signed up for this exact thing.

• Like 14
  • Applause 5
On 12/6/2023 at 4:48 AM, Rabbit Hutch said:

Robyn was not just paddling around in that catfish pool. That manipulative bitch was back stroking and butterflying all around!

• Like 3
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
21 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Great point, I kind of forgot how much Meri loathed Janelle.  And yes, Savanah was the result of one of the separations (I think I read that in their book).

So does kootie consider savannah a resource ?? That janelle was just using him and his body for ?  🤮

• Sad 7

I went back and watched episodes when Kody was courting Robyn and in a few scenes he definitely was wearing a gold wedding band that appeared to have a few tiny diamonds. It was not a claddagh ring.

Robyn lied.

• Like 4
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
On 12/4/2023 at 8:46 AM, Gramto6 said:

I don't think it was done for monetary purposes. It was done to hurt Meri as much as he could.

I thought I heard that Robyn had said something about Meri having a claim on Kody via the ring and it bugged her.  Or I could have imagined it.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Adiba said:

I went back and watched episodes when Kody was courting Robyn and in a few scenes he definitely was wearing a gold wedding band that appeared to have a few tiny diamonds. It was not a claddagh ring.

Robyn lied.

What a shock. The paragon of virtue sweet Robyn lying? She would never do such a thing said no one ever. 

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 11
On 12/6/2023 at 2:19 PM, laurakaye said:

I believe the reason why Janelle kept leaving had more to do with Meri than Kody.  I can't imagine it was easy for Meri to see Janelle giving birth to all those male heirs. Especially, when according to Meri, she had "just a girl." 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Like 6
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 3
10 hours ago, dariafan said:

So does kootie consider savannah a resource ?? That janelle was just using him and his body for ?  🤮

No. It's actually much worse.  Douchie doesn't consider Savannah AT ALL. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 16
  • Applause 1
10 hours ago, goofygirl said:

No. It's actually much worse.  Douchie doesn't consider Savannah AT ALL. 

I am beginning ( well have for a long time) to think that Kootie doesn't think about the OG kids at all, any of them, with maybe the exception of Mykelti who at this point is bowing down to him and Crybrows in "worship" so to speak (I wanted to say kisses his a$$, oh guess I just did! 🫢) ...

• Like 17
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Sobbin acts like she is in therapy when she is on the 1 on 1.  The show is failing us by not making them sit together during the tell alls.  Say that shit in front of the others.  

1,000 times YES.  Make those liars try to lie with everyone there to hear it, when it's said.  Face your accusers, it's only fair!

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Sobbin acts like she is in therapy when she is on the 1 on 1.  The show is failing us by not making them sit together during the tell alls.  Say that shit in front of the others.  

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see that!!  All the adults together in one place together!!  And I'd bet the ratings would go through the roof if TLC  actually did that!!

• Like 15

IMO, Robyn's "kodyspeak" became very clear during the last episode of the season at the picnic table when she told him to stop talking because he didn't really mean what he was about to say and needed time to get his thoughts together or something to that effect.  He was about to say why he didn't see the division of the land the same way she did and she promptly shut him up.

• Like 13
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, BnJJ said:

IMO, Robyn's "kodyspeak" became very clear during the last episode of the season at the picnic table when she told him to stop talking because he didn't really mean what he was about to say and needed time to get his thoughts together or something to that effect.  He was about to say why he didn't see the division of the land the same way she did and she promptly shut him up.

Oh, yes.  Kootie wasn't in the right "headspace."  That was a new word on me.  Where did she get that, I wonder?  Certainly, Crybrows is just too well-adjusted to need therapy.  It's all those pesky sisterwives that are cray-cray, right?  Right?

Kootie has had Crybrow's hand up his ass "since Day One."  He wouldn't know what to do or say without her, and it shows.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 10
  • LOL 1
On 12/6/2023 at 1:55 PM, Momma Snark said:

The fact that Janelle said they've never had a fight like this tells me that their marriage was very surface level and not very deep.

I’ve been married for more than 30 years and have a “deep” relationship with my husband. We have *never* fought like this. Not all couples disagree in aggressive, nasty outbursts; that doesn’t mean they have superficial marriages.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1

My parents were married for 63 years.  I never once in my whole life saw them have anything resembling that horrible fight.  Did they argue at times?  Sure.  But it was always civil, never profane.

And they were still deeply in love until the end.  My dad never got over losing mom.  Certainly not a superficial marriage in any sense of the word.

• Like 12
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

When Robyn or Kody speak TLC should run the clip of him emptying the tank on the RV. Shit everywhere.

One of my favorite episodes, for sure!  Crybrows had a fit about snow, too, or was that another episode?  It's been a while.

Counselor Crybrows can go suck an egg.  She's the worst!

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

Robyn told Sukanya that she didn't know anything about Kody melting down Meri's ring, because when she met him, he wasn't wearing one.  An eagle eye viewer posted a screen shot of Kody proposing to Robyn and he was wearing the ring Meri gave him.  She is such a liar.  

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Robyn told Sukanya that she didn't know anything about Kody melting down Meri's ring, because when she met him, he wasn't wearing one.  An eagle eye viewer posted a screen shot of Kody proposing to Robyn and he was wearing the ring Meri gave him.  She is such a liar.  

I mentioned that photo in another thread here. My guess is Kodouche was keeping all options open at that time. He wore the ring to keep Meri dangling, but once he got the "Yes, I'll marry you (with these conditions...)", from Crybrows, he gladly melted the ring down. What donkey's behind he is....oh heck, he's a Jacka$$ straight up!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

I love Christine, and hope she writes her own book….or perhaps with Janelle.  Tell us everything!!  She is finally free to speak.  F Meri.  She chose Robyn.  

One of the grossest scenes for me was Kody kissing Robyn when Christine was in labor with Truely.  Robyn ran after him all giddy.  I almost vomited.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

I love Christine, and hope she writes her own book….or perhaps with Janelle.  Tell us everything!!  She is finally free to speak.  F Meri.  She chose Robyn.  

One of the grossest scenes for me was Kody kissing Robyn when Christine was in labor with Truely.  Robyn ran after him all giddy.  I almost vomited.

I hated that scene as well.  Then he turns to the camera and is laughing about how 'I'm kissing my girlfriend while my wife is in labour'.  Douchebag.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 12/6/2023 at 6:23 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

You and me both!  Many people are upset with Christine for sharing Meri's ring story.  And, I agree that story should have been Meri's to tell...but she didn't!  The viewing audience has been bamboozled for years as the Browns served up their version of a happy polygamous family- one that we now know isn't true.  I'm all about Christine or whoever (even Meri with her promise that her voice will be heard) spilling ALL the tea.  We deserve it and they signed up for this exact thing.

Speaking of the ring story, why wasn't Kody asked about it as well as Meri? It was his story to tell, too. The producers pitted two women against each other rather than holding the man who did the horrible thing accountable! Even if he refused to answer why he did it, it would have been more fair to at least have asked the question and watch him squirm.

• Like 6
  • Applause 11

Which brings me to a thought I've had for the past few years.  Why DOES  TLC keep this trainwreck on the air?  Many say it's for the money, but could this show possibly bring in that much revenue?  Or, is there a more sinister reason? 

For example, maybe someone or some group behind the scenes is attempting to normalize a lifestyle in this country that is absolutely horrible to the women and treats the children as disposable?  Where every single relationship is run like an accountant's ledger, debits and credits duly noted at the bank of the reigning patriarch?  And when the jerk gets tired of them, he puts them out to pasture to be alone and lonely for the rest of their days. Sitting on the front porch with her sisterwives, indeed.  What a load of crap!

Then, we have the women.  Sorry, but I've yet to see a group of happy or even happy-adjacent, sisterwives.  And even though I despise Robyn, not one of these women are innocent of evil-doing against the others, including her.  I also can't stand Kootie, but I believed him when he said that the wives talked bad about one another behind each other's backs to him.  Cause what else do they have to use as legal tender or a power source in this dynamic, other than having babies and turning over their welfare checks?  So, if we the viewing public see this disfunction enough, will we become desensitized to it and finally relax our laws against this horror?  I hope not.

Finally, they're the kids.  These poor kids, having to learn through social media how bad this situation is for them, what  narcissists Kootie and Robyn are, and the levels that their own mothers had to go to in order to keep their place in that sick  pecking order. I'm sure there'll be plenty of therapy sessions in their collective future. 

Furthermore, I'd place a bet that generally many polygamist families are run in the same manner, with a narcissistic patriarch and a viper's nest full of wives.  I'm shocked that any of the women have the willpower to leave these cults.

When I began watching this show all of those years ago I was already biased against polygamy.  And, after watching and learning of all of the lies, the backstabbing, the dirty deal making, and the shenanigans among these people, I firmly believe that polygamy should remain illegal, forever and ever amen!

The powers-that-be can allow Kootie to coast through the tell-nothings, allowing him alone to direct the narrative.  Suki in charge?  I think not! They can allow Robyn to lie straightfaced on t.v. and not call her out on it, and they can let the others get by with their assorted shenanigans without any consequences and repercussions, but I for one am paying attention.  I not buying it.  AND, I (and probably her aunt, also) am awaiting Christine's apology to all of the monogamists that she mocked and made fun of throughout the years.   Don't worry, I won't hold my breath.

Rant over.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Applause 7
49 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Which brings me to a thought I've had for the past few years.  Why DOES  TLC keep this trainwreck on the air?  Many say it's for the money, but could this show possibly bring in that much revenue?  Or, is there a more sinister reason? 

There's no need for a conspiracy theory here.  TLC is a corporation with one thing in mind:  making money.  It's all a ratings game.  As soon as any show on the network drops below a profitability margin, they're gone.  They might also dump a show for egregious moral conduct if they get enough backlash from the public.  The Duggars and Mama June faced that.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

There's no need for a conspiracy theory here.  TLC is a corporation with one thing in mind:  making money.  It's all a ratings game.  As soon as any show on the network drops below a profitability margin, they're gone.  They might also dump a show for egregious moral conduct if they get enough backlash from the public.  The Duggars and Mama June faced that.  

They have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to fill. I don't think that a show has to be a huge moneymaker for them. It just has to fill airtime and be marginally profitable. I don't think there are any other dark motives here. It's all just business to them. And that's fine. It's their job.

For example, maybe someone or some group behind the scenes is attempting to normalize a lifestyle in this country that is absolutely horrible to the women and treats the children as disposable?

I would not choose polygamy or really any sort of polyamorous relationship. That said, one conclusion that I have come to over the years is that I can't argue that any consenting adults should be allowed to marry while at the same time arguing that consenting adults shouldn't be allowed to marry more than one person at a time. In other words, I can't say I'm in favor of gay marriage but not in favor of polygamous marriage. I can't reconcile those two things. And I'm starting to wonder if maybe the US legal system should get out of the marriage business altogether. Maybe. all consenting adults should just be free to have whatever romantic relationships they want to have without there being any legal consequences (and/or benefits) to them.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

They have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to fill. I don't think that a show has to be a huge moneymaker for them. It just has to fill airtime and be marginally profitable. I don't think there are any other dark motives here. It's all just business to them. And that's fine. It's their job.

A few years ago when I was tracking show numbers diligently, 700,000 to 750,000 viewers per primetime episode was their cutoff for renewal.  Now with fewer TV viewers overall it would seem reasonable that their cutoff may be lower.  SW seems to stay above a million viewers and some of the episodes this season have gotten good numbers for TLC.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 5
7 hours ago, Absolom said:

SW seems to stay above a million viewers and some of the episodes this season have gotten good numbers for TLC.

And I'm one of them, and as boring as this season has been, I'm glad I got to watch things fall apart from the inside - as much as they showed. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, altopower said:

And I'm one of them, and as boring as this season has been, I'm glad I got to watch things fall apart from the inside - as much as they showed. 

I guess that's me too. I have been here since the first episode and lately have been hoping to finally see this train wreck end. I think TLC is playing it smart in allowing more "truish" info this season as it is keeping people hanging on trying to solve the puzzle of "what the heck are these people thinking?" with the hope to actually seeing the the whole thing implode. Then of course TLC will tease us with the "where are they now?" carp!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 5