Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

Stumbled my way to 5/5 with 1 * with some lucky guesses (notably Dylan and Columbus).  Kennedy and Franklin came pretty easily. 

As a Detroit native born the year Motown was founded, I would have lost any credibility I ever had if I had gotten that one wrong.  I drove by Hitsville, USA on Saturday and passed along greetings from this forum.  

I will bring melt in your mouth quiche lorraine that I picked up at the farmers market on Saturday morning (also honoring the French) but with Shaw and Kennedy in the clues this week, I thought about something Irish as well.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 5

Another for the 2/5 table. (Motown, Kennedy.) I was seduced by Magellan and Jefferson into thinking they’re something they’re not. 

Since I’m late to the party again, I’ll just being a broom to sweep up the debris from the wonderful time I’m sure everyone had.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Another for the 2/5 table. (Motown, Kennedy.) I was seduced by Magellan and Jefferson into thinking they’re something they’re not. 

Since I’m late to the party again, I’ll just being a broom to sweep up the debris from the wonderful time I’m sure everyone had.

You're not the latest...there are a few others. Everyone partakes and the party goes on until we hear from every last one! Sometimes it goes right up to the next one. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

I'm going to bed early, so I checked thejeopardyfan.com. Damn. Four this week. I don't know if any were asterisks, but they were Mon-Thurs.  I'll bring some hot Ovaltine to induce sleep.

Don't forget to change the clocks this weekend. Use that extra hour to re-set all the clocks & change the smoke alarm batteries.

G'night.

• Thanks 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Week 8: 3/5 with 1*
YTD: 25/40 (63%) with 2*

I haven't even figured out what I'm going to eat let alone virtual food...I've got some tortilla chips and pretzels...

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm going to bed early, so I checked thejeopardyfan.com. Damn. Four this week. I don't know if any were asterisks, but they were Mon-Thurs.  I'll bring some hot Ovaltine to induce sleep.

Asterisks were Tuesday (Archie) and Friday (Richard III).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3

It happened again... was having a perfect week until Friday!

4/5* (Archie)

I'm somewhat confused whether to be happy or sad that I was a ts. (Bliss)

My food contribution is cabbage roll soup. If you love cabbage rolls, you'll love my soup!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 5

Week 8 – Oct. 30   Two Asterisks
36.     DRIVING THE USA - It's the state with the most miles of Interstate Highway, more than 3,200; one Interstate accounts for 1/4 of that mileage (Texas)
37.     *NAMES'S THE SAME - This first name is shared by a character introduced in 1941 & a member of royalty who is sixth in line to the British throne (Archie)
38.     21st CENTURY PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS - It was the first election since 1952 in which neither the incumbent president nor the incumbent vice president was a candidate (2008)
39.     ANCIENT GEOGRAPHY - Britain became an island less than 10,000 years ago, as warming weather & melting ice filled in this sea (the North Sea)
40.     *BRITISH HISTORY - At Leicester Cathedral in March 2015, the Archbishop of Canterbury led a religious ceremony for this deceased English monarch (Richard III)

• Thanks 4
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Week 8 – Oct. 30   Two Asterisks
36.     DRIVING THE USA - It's the state with the most miles of Interstate Highway, more than 3,200; one Interstate accounts for 1/4 of that mileage (Texas)
37.     *NAMES'S THE SAME - This first name is shared by a character introduced in 1941 & a member of royalty who is sixth in line to the British throne (Archie)
38.     21st CENTURY PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS - It was the first election since 1952 in which neither the incumbent president nor the incumbent vice president was a candidate (2008)

Week 8:  3/5, 1*
(Mon., Tues., & Wed.)

Edited by shapeshifter
Silly autocorrect
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You got one!

15 hours ago, secnarf said:

5/5**

I did it! My first ever perfect week!!!!!

Way to go!

14 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

3/5, 1*

I don't have last week's score - did I miss it?

I'm pulling down the average this week - I got zip (with a number of smack my head's). Oh well...

14 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

3/5, 1*

Found it - my mistake!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 2

Week 8:  2/5, no *.  Probably could have gotten a couple more if I had extended time.  Where do I apply for that?  Overall 19/40, 1/7*.

Contestants got a paltry 4/15 (though in their defense, a couple of the misses were shout-outs where the outcome wasn't in question).

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

3/5 with 2**…. which, for me, is not too shabby!

In honor of my home state, I will bring a big pot of our most decadent entree: Texas Brisket Chili Frito Pie. With extra cheese and sour cream, of course.

IMG_0478.jpeg.972ada9e84c0395bb95981803c3cd90c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1

Week 8: 3/5, 1* (Richard III)

While I normally try to make my dining contributions thematic with questions from the week, I've had a giant roast marinating in wine & vinegar for about six days, as the prep stage of a sauerbraten for tomorrow night. It's a big chunk of meat, so everyone can dig in!

sauerbraten.jpg

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

4/5, 2*.

Thanks to The Royals thread discussion of the discovery and burial of Richard lll. In their honor, I’ll bring scones and clotted cream.

I’ll bring chicken salad tea sandwiches. I have leftovers from making a batch for our block party. IMG_1946.jpeg.62c9988ddc3838eca38b12c7b734e34b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5/5 with 2 * - I think every question this week was a guess (some educated and some very lucky).  Closest I came to being sure was on Friday (Richard III has been an interest of mine ever since I first read Josephine Tey's " The Daughter of Time" and Elizabeth Peters' "The Murders of Richard III".)

I will bring tea (hot, iced and Long Island) to go with the other tea party offerings.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
On 11/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, Bliss said:

My food contribution is cabbage roll soup. If you love cabbage rolls, you'll love my soup!

I'm thawing out my own cabbage roll soup for lunch - I couldn't stop thinking about it since I read your post! Don't know if mine is as good as yours - but it's pretty darned good. Yum! (still think we need a icon!)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yaay!  I finally got one this week.  That's it. One. No *.  Put me at the breadstick table.

Right there with you...

Week 9: 1/5
YTD: 26/45 (58%) with 2*

I'll bring caramel-chocolate-covered pretzel rods.

image.png.5592a779963d3bb51db4c33f860d7038.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm back to my usual role of lowering the curve:
Week 9: 0/5

I did read a biography of Joan of Arc when I was a young teen, so it probably didn't have anything about her mother or anything too heavy on the Catholic Church, and, anyway, that was way too long ago for me to recall anything except that they burned her at the stake. 
But I just skimmed the Wikipedia article, and decided I want to read it in its entirety. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

Week 9: 3/5.

Tuesday was painful: I knew it was Ethiopia but couldn't remember the capital in time.  Wednesday I at least knew it was too early to be Lewis or Clark.

Bringing 3 breadsticks (plus a basket of them) and appropriate dips etc.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Week 9 • Nov. 6    One Asterisk
41.     MUSIC & LITERATURE - John Steinbeck called this "one of the great songs of the world" & wanted the music & lyrics printed in one of his novels
42.     WORLD HISTORY - This African capital renamed an area Mexico Square to honor Mexico's WWII-era support of its sovereignty during Italian occupation (Addis Ababa)
43. *    EXPLORERS - Perhaps inspiring a line 2 centuries later, in 1774 he wrote that he was headed "farther than any other man has been before me" (Captain James Cook)
44.     AMERICAN AUTHORS - In 1950 the Swedish Academy said this Nobel Prize winner "is a regional writer" but called "his regionalism universal" (William Faulkner)
45.    THE CATHOLIC CHURCH - The 1456 posthumous annulment of this woman's sentence by the Church was witnessed by her mother Isabelle (Joan of Arc)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 5
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Week 9 • Nov. 6    No Asterisks
41.     MUSIC & LITERATURE - John Steinbeck called this "one of the great songs of the world" & wanted the music & lyrics printed in one of his novels
42.     WORLD HISTORY - This African capital renamed an area Mexico Square to honor Mexico's WWII-era support of its sovereignty during Italian occupation (Addis Ababa)
43.     EXPLORERS - Perhaps inspiring a line 2 centuries later, in 1774 he wrote that he was headed "farther than any other man has been before me" (Captain James Cook)
44.     AMERICAN AUTHORS - In 1950 the Swedish Academy said this Nobel Prize winner "is a regional writer" but called "his regionalism universal" (William Faulkner)
45.    THE CATHOLIC CHURCH - The 1456 posthumous annulment of this woman's sentence by the Church was witnessed by her mother Isabelle (Joan of Arc)

I believe James Cook was an asterisk - one contestant didn't participate and the other two said Magellan and Lewis.

I got James Cook and Joan of Arc, this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Week 9 • Nov. 6    No Asterisks
43.     EXPLORERS - Perhaps inspiring a line 2 centuries later, in 1774 he wrote that he was headed "farther than any other man has been before me" (Captain James Cook)

Mon - said Grapes of Wrath. At least I was on the fringe. Sort of like starting with a zero because now I'm stress free for the week.

Tue - gapped totally. Oh oh... 2 zeros so far... looks like I might be bringing donut holes...

Wed - OMG Said Cook as a total guess and only because I'd just been talking to Mr Bliss about my waking to roosters every morning when I had the privilege of vacationing at Cook Islands.

Thur - decided on Faulkner because I'd just finished reading a book in which he was featured as a theme, and mentioned it to a friend on the phone... this sort of freaks me out. Is J! listening to my conversations?

Fri - instaget. Don't ask me how I knew that. It was one of those, "I didn't know I knew it" blurts.

FJ total: 3/5

@Clanstarling - thank you for posting the summary! Much appreciated 😍

• Like 2
  • Applause 3