Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, 1*, although I would have spelled Suriname without the “e”. I wonder if they would have accepted that? 

I think so. It used to be spelled that way and as far as I know it doesn't change the pronunciation.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, 1*, although I would have spelled Suriname without the “e”. I wonder if they would have accepted that? 

53 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I think so. It used to be spelled that way and as far as I know it doesn't change the pronunciation.

If you have closed captions turn on for this YouTube video, first they show it as Surinam, and then as Suriname:

• Like 5
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't remember hearing it pronounced before, so I always thought the "e" was pronounced, like the "e" at tbe end of namaste. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I don't remember hearing it pronounced before, so I always thought the "e" was pronounced, like the "e" at tbe end of namaste. 

I've only ever heard it pronounced sur-i-nam.

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I've only ever heard it pronounced sur-i-nam.

I've only heard sur-i-nam too. 
But it looks like my pronunciation of the "i" has been too short, according to British online pronunciation guides, including this one:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/suriname

Whereas my "ur" pronunciation is like the British and not like the MW example, which does say the "i" like I do:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Suriname

Regardless, either spelling should be okay according to this page: 
jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behind-scenes/5-jeopardy-rules-every-contestant-should-know

Written responses to the Final Jeopardy! clue do not have to be spelled correctly, but they must be phonetically correct and not add or subtract any extraneous sounds or syllables.…

Not a spelling wizard? Breathe a sigh of relief. If you’re not sure how to spell something in Final Jeopardy!, sound it out slowly in your head and write it the way it sounds. If it’s misspelled, it will come down to a judgment call, but the closer you can get it, the better chance for a thumbs-up from the judges. For example, “Jepurdee!” would probably be an acceptable spelling in a Final Jeopardy! response. But please learn that one ahead of time. Knowing the rules before jumping in is always a good idea. However, the judges get to make the final call in situations like these. That’s why they’re called judges!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

2/5 with no * for a week with a very tired, congested brain.  I was doing a lot of "oh, you know...." without getting to the answers.  I did get U2 & Eurostar (wonderful memories of a trip with Mother Grundoon from Paris to London as we compared stories of prior crossings of the Channel taking all day to cover the same territory).  Came close on Friday but could only get to Dutch Guiana which I knew was not correct, but no amount of urging moved me toward Suriname.  

Oh well, feeling better this week so onward and upward!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

2/5 with no * for a week with a very tired, congested brain.  I was doing a lot of "oh, you know...." without getting to the answers.  I did get U2 & Eurostar (wonderful memories of a trip with Mother Grundoon from Paris to London as we compared stories of prior crossings of the Channel taking all day to cover the same territory).  Came close on Friday but could only get to Dutch Guiana which I knew was not correct, but no amount of urging moved me toward Suriname.  

Oh well, feeling better this week so onward and upward!

If it makes you feel better, only one contestant (so far) has scored more than two (there are a few other twos), and the great majority are 1s and 0s (myself included). This was a tough game so you did very well, congested brain or not.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Less bad this week than last week -- 1/5.

Same:

Week 26: 1/5
Wednesday: 1963
(thanks to watching many episodes of Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s Finding Your Roots)

BTW, @Browncoat, my oldest daughter just left on a boat from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Antarctica to run/walk her umpteenth marathon and fulfill her lifelong dream to see penguins in their natural habitat.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

Week 26: 3/5 with 1*
YTD: 67/130 (52%) with 5 6*

Not bad for a TOC week...

Edit - forgot to mark an *

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4

Week 26 – March 4 – TOC Week Two – Two Asterisks
126.     POETS OF ANCIENT ROME - Far from Rome, this first century poet wrote, "The leader's anger done, grant me the right to die in my native country" (Ovid)
127.     *CHEMICAL ELEMENTS - Isolated in 1945 during uranium fission research, it was named for an ancient deity to suggest humans gaining a new power (Promethium)
128.     AMERICAN LITERARY HISTORY - "The country is celebrating 100 years of freedom 100 years too soon", says "The Fire Next Time", published in this year (1963)
129.     *ANCIENT DRAMA - From the 470s B.C., Aeschylus' earliest surviving work has this title; he'd fought them repeatedly in the preceding years (The Persians)
130.    LITERATURE & RELIGION - This city now in Turkey is the addressee of one of the New Testament epistles & the setting for "The Comedy of Errors" (Ephesus)

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

127.     *CHEMICAL ELEMENTS - Isolated in 1945 during uranium fission research, it was named for an ancient deity to suggest humans gaining a new power (Promethium)

Ooh! I forgot to mark an asterisk! I knew I should have gone back to check!

Week 26: 3/5 with 1*
YTD: 67/130 (52%) with 6*

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

my oldest daughter just left on a boat from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Antarctica to run/walk her umpteenth marathon and fulfill her lifelong dream to see penguins in their natural habitat.

It's getting a little late in the season, but I wish her all the best -- both in the marathon and the penguin viewing!  

• Like 5
  • Love 2

This week I just got 1/5. I pre guessed Ovid on Monday and was correct. I was surprised and now grateful as it saved me from a big 0 donut week. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So...0/5?? 😄

That is correct. 😉

1 hour ago, opus said:

I will NOT be 0/TOC.

Not to worry, it seems I’m working on that badge for myself.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
19 hours ago, DXD526 said:

1/5 (...and 0/5 in the actual knowledge dept., since Monday was a total guess 😁)

That knowledge was in you somewhere, you just didn't know it.

15 hours ago, secnarf said:

0/5 again - I've done terribly the last month and a half

Last week almost half of us had 0/5, the ones pushed us over the halfway mark. So hang in there. I had 0 this week too. But hey - donuts! Who doesn't love donuts.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Last week almost half of us had 0/5, the ones pushed us over the halfway mark. So hang in there. I had 0 this week too. But hey - donuts! Who doesn't love donuts.

Thank goodness I pulled a 1 out of my hat this week since donuts give me heartburn. Weird, I know. But I do like them and so would probably have one.😉

• Like 4

2/5 with no * - Both lucky guesses for 1963 and Ephesus (for this one, I am grateful to the Stratford, Ontario Shakespeare Festival for memorable productions of both Comedy of Errors and Boys from Syracuse). 

I don't have much imagination for food - still recovering from the bug I picked up so I will save any food donations for a later date.    

• Hugs 6
  • Applause 1

Add me to the table for 0.  Overall, 54/130, 4*/28*.

The contestants had a tough time as well, only 4 correct out of 14 who were still in it for FJ!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1