Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

116.     CANADIAN MEDICINE - Nova Scotian William Knapp Buckley devised a widely used antitussive, meaning a drug used against this (cough[ing])
117.     PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS - He's the most recent presidential candidate to have officially declared his opponent in that campaign the victor (Al Gore)

Week 24:  1/5 
Monday (coughing)

Tuesday I was one of us who said Gore but then changed it to McCain.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2

2/5 * for cough and a lucky guess. Having been there helped.

If the TOC is any indication, I'll be at the zero table next week. Didn't have a sniff for Friday's FJ.

• Like 4

2/5, Cough and Gore. That could be either a comedy team or the symptoms of a very unpleasant disease.

I’ll bring some chicken noodle soup, heated by a hole in the ozone layer. And while that simmers, I’ll go ahead and stock up on donuts, because I have a feeling I’ll be needing plenty of those in the next few weeks.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

One, no asterisk. Bummer. I'm gonna go cuddle the cat to make us both feel better.

Now, a table for one with attendant kitties would be awesome!

At this moment, Tfor1 is hosting nearly 50 percent of the participants. It was a difficult week, people! I'm curious to see if we'll top 50%

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5, no *.

Can someone please stop the theme song of The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp from going through my mind? It hasn’t stopped since Wednesday!

Try "Rawhide."  Head 'em up; move 'em out.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 6
24 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5, no *.

Can someone please stop the theme song of The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp from going through my mind? It hasn’t stopped since Wednesday!

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Playing a song you like better, or a song you hate even more, sometimes helps.  Try "Winchester Cathedral."

Once I got the 1812 Overture stuck in my head: church bells, cannons, and all.  For hours, not days, but I had the most awful headache by the time it went away.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
20 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5, no *.

Try the theme to Tombstone Territory. Mr. Zoey watches two episodes every weekday.

"Whistle me up a memory
Whistle me back where I want to be
Whistle a tune that will carry me
To Tombstone Territory

If your past has run afoul of the law
It's a handy place to be
cause your future's just as good as your draw
In Tombstone Territory

Whistle me up a memory
To Tombstone Territory"

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/tombstoneterritorylyrics.html

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3/5 with one *.  Thanks to fellow W&Mer, Thomas Jefferson, Monticello popped into my head as a lucky guess.  I also got cough (probably because I stopped on the way home Monday to buy some cough syrup) and Gore.  I went with Doc Holliday instead of Wyatt Earp and couldn't wrap my very congested head around Friday's clue enough to form an answer.  

I have an earworm too @Good Queen Jane but mine is "Pick a little, talk a little" from Music Man - Chaucer, Rabelais, Balzac.......

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Try the theme to Tombstone Territory. Mr. Zoey watches two episodes every weekday.

"Whistle me up a memory
To Tombstone Territory

If your past has run afoul of the law
It's a handy place to be
cause your future's just as good as your draw
In Tombstone Territory

Whistle me up a memory
To Tombstone Territory"

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/tombstoneterritorylyrics.html

I always loved that theme song.

I also liked the Ballad of Palladin theme song from Have Gun Will Travel.

Ballad of Palladin

Edited by Trey
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Did you know Johnny Western sued the "Stand By Me" production for unauthorized use of his "Paladin" song?  I think Rob Reiner thought the thing was probably in the public domain by then and didn't check. LOL

I've been watching Have Gun - Will Travel on PlutoTV and they edited the theme song, Half of it's missing. Actually makes no sense, as it streams without commercials - it's not like they need the extra time for ads.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Did you know Johnny Western sued the "Stand By Me" production for unauthorized use of his "Paladin" song?  I think Rob Reiner thought the thing was probably in the public domain by then and didn't check. LOL

I did not know that!

• Like 3

WEEK 24 (19 FEB): 1/5, no *.

In my (and I'm sure many of us on here's) defense, the wording of the PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS category made it really confusing to know what they were asking for. I know "official" is supposed to be the word you hang onto, but man that clue needed reworking.

Poor, pathetic week. But hey, this week started with ART HISTORY, and this art historian nailed that shit. In the voice and delightful mannerisms of Sam Buttrey, and in honor of him being in the audience tonight, in terms of the rest of this week (which culminates in my 39th birthday on Friday), "BRING IT!"

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 2/26/2024 at 5:42 PM, ams1001 said:

That always makes me think of the movie Stand By Me.

Aw, did you have to bring up Stand By Me? My brain just did three choruses of “Lollipop”, complete with mouth pop.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Aw, did you have to bring up Stand By Me? My brain just did three choruses of “Lollipop”, complete with mouth pop.

and...you passed it on. LOL. Fortunately, I don't mind having lollipop in my mind.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Week 25 – Feb 26 – TOC Week One – Two Asterisks
121.     ART HISTORY - The Royal Academy of Arts has this man's "La Fornarina" & in the 1800s the RAA's love of him made some artists retreat to an earlier style (Raphael)
122.     MILITARY HISTORY - A prototype of this craft was deployed in August 1955; it made headlines in May 1960 (the U-2)
123.     *1950s POLITICS - In 1959 Bob Bartlett & Hiram Fong each won a coin flip to gain this alliterative title (senior senator)   
124.     WORLD TRAVEL - The name of this service that began Nov. 14, 1994 echoes the Étoile du Nord, which linked Paris, Brussels & Amsterdam from 1927 (Eurostar)
125.     *COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD - Fearful of independence in 1975, around 120,000 of this country's people, a third of the population, fled to the Netherlands (Suriname)

• Thanks 4

Week 25: 0/5

The closest I got was “Something Star” for Thursday.
But maybe it's just as well, superstitiously speaking, that I got a zero this week, because last week I got 1/5 for “Coughing,” and I've been coughing all week. 
Just an annoying, dry cough, but it was weird when I went to enter this week's score and saw “Coughing” for last week. 
It also snowed here, so I will serve (round) steaming bowls of Trader Joe's Chicken Noodle Soup:

IMG_1726.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

1/5 for the Eurostar. 
I’ll make some chocolate eclairs to share. 

image.png.d7d65a2d1286d99a84552665e330b6aa.png

One of my earliest (age 3) fond memories.
The delightful surprise of the creamy filling was equivalent to my getting a FJ correct, LOL — which eventually I will again achieve.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 7

The week started poorly for me... I had visions of many donuts... and then my trips to Europe paid off - Eurostar!

Jetpunk helped with Suriname. Final score:

2/5 *

Bringing freshly tapped maple syrup to drizzle over donuts, pretzels, whatever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1