Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

(edited)
23 hours ago, opus said:

No, I don't play the asterisk game part of this contest. The blue one is just one of the emojis available here at the site, in this case denoting my one correct answer.

Thank you.  I'll keep a note of that.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1

Week 31:  2/5  0*   (My animated dog movie was "The Secret Life of Pets" (one year off--2016)). Overall: 75/155  9*

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love how the sidebar shows "popular images" and it's all the food we're bringing to the virtual party.

Right now I'm seeing a nice dinner...pasta, salad*, and garlic knots.

*Actually I believe it's carpaccio, but there's greens and cheese shavings on top; I wouldn't eat the meat but the greens with parmesan look good.

(Also a goose egg...🥚)

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Many apologies. This should bring my account current.
😜

WEEK 29 (25 MAR): 5/5, 2*.

WEEK 30 (01 APR): 4/5.

WEEK 31 (08 APR): 3/5.

No apologies necessary. Glad to get my spreadsheet filled in. 😉

• Like 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Right now I'm seeing a nice dinner...pasta, salad*, and garlic knots.

I thought of you this evening. I had lovely fresh-made (purchased; I didn't make the pasta myself) ravioli for dinner. I was extra careful when bringing the plates from the kitchen to the table, remembering your ravioli disaster from last week!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Hey folks, remind me of what date/week I should use for the start of calculating the 0 streak champion(s). I've forgotten amid all the tournaments and such.

My vote is for awarding the longest 0 streak, regardless of when it started/ended.  Alternatively, the Tournament of Champions started on Feb 23.  I think that's when we started realizing we weren't in Kansas anymore, even if some of us might have already had a streak going at that point. So maybe just count ToC and JIT  games (so, Feb. 23-Apr. 9)?

And to be fair, (and since you're going back and counting anyway) may I suggest also awarding the longest correct streak?

• Like 3
20 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I thought of you this evening. I had lovely fresh-made (purchased; I didn't make the pasta myself) ravioli for dinner. I was extra careful when bringing the plates from the kitchen to the table, remembering your ravioli disaster from last week!

My ravioli was Rao's Four-Cheese. They are pricey for a frozen dinner so I was extra pissed about that. Glad yours stayed on the plate.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

My ravioli was Rao's Four-Cheese. They are pricey for a frozen dinner so I was extra pissed about that. Glad yours stayed on the plate.

I hope you have a dog or other animal that would happily eat floor ravioli.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Driad said:

I hope you have a dog or other animal that would happily eat floor ravioli.  

Sadly, no. The dog in my profile pic is long gone and he wouldn't have eaten it, anyway.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 2
(edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 8:18 AM, SoMuchTV said:

My vote is for awarding the longest 0 streak, regardless of when it started/ended.  Alternatively, the Tournament of Champions started on Feb 23.  I think that's when we started realizing we weren't in Kansas anymore, even if some of us might have already had a streak going at that point. So maybe just count ToC and JIT  games (so, Feb. 23-Apr. 9)?

And to be fair, (and since you're going back and counting anyway) may I suggest also awarding the longest correct streak?

Thanks, and I think the longest correct streak is a good idea. So I'll be calculating:

• the longest 0 streak overall,
  • the longest 0 streak since the TOC, et al
  • the longest correct streak overall,
  • the longest correct streak during the TOC, et al.

If anyone objects to being included in any category, send me a message.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Sadly, no. The dog in my profile pic is long gone and he wouldn't have eaten it, anyway.

Aww, I'm so sorry. I still miss our dog who used to clean up the floor when we dropped food. Especially, for some odd reason, dried pasta. He loved dried pasta.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Aww, I'm so sorry. I still miss our dog who used to clean up the floor when we dropped food. Especially, for some odd reason, dried pasta. He loved dried pasta.

We had a miniature Schnauzer when I was a kid who loved spaghetti. Imagine a Schnauzer beard after eating spaghetti...

• LOL 8

Week 32: 4/5 with 1*
YTD: 79/160 (49%) with 7*

In honor (defiance?) of Tuesday's "Don't Eat That!" category, I found some crayons we can eat.

image.thumb.png.c1405f724cd6b08dfbb319eb9f8c118c.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)

Week 32 – April 15 Regular Jeopardy – Two Asterisks
156.     GREAT BRITS - From 1689 to 1690 & 1701 to 1702, he served as a Member of Parliament representing the constituency of Cambridge University (Newton)
157.     *WORDS & THEIR MEANINGS - Churchill gave a word a new meaning when he called for a "talk with Soviet Russia upon the highest level... a parley at" this (summit)
158.     ORGANIZATIONS - The press called the donations received after this org.'s 1938 founding "a silver tide which actually swamped the White House" (March of Dimes)
159.      * ALPHABETICAL AMERICA - Until Alabama became the 22nd state, this one was first alphabetically (Connecticut)
160.    COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS - Featured in a 2020 film, she gets her name from a 16th c. Italian stock character who often wore diamond-patterned outfits (Harly Quinn)

Edited because there were two * - and I neglected to double check. Sigh...

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

159.       ALPHABETICAL AMERICA - Until Alabama became the 22nd state, this one was first alphabetically (Connecticut)

This was also an asterisk -- they all wrote Arkansas.

ETA:  For today's FJ, I said Harlequin.  Would that count?

Edited by Driad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Week 31: 2/5 with 1*

Finally broke my 42-game losing streak with Thursday Connecticut* and Friday Harley Quinn.

Harley Quinn was an insta-image of black and white diamond checked leggings, but I had to mute the Think Music to come up with the name of Harley Quinn.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1

Two for me, one of which I know nothing about the category. If I had been a Friday contestant, I would have bet 0 on comic book characters, yet, whoo-hooo, I got it.

I also got CT, which was an asterisk.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Two for me, one of which I know nothing about the category. If I had been a Friday contestant, I would have bet 0 on comic book characters, yet, whoo-hooo, I got it.

I was not confident with that category, either, but this was an easy one (helps that a friend of mine is a Harley Quinn fan). It was probably going to be something I either knew through cultural osmosis or didn't, not something I could reason myself to, since I'm not a comic book person.

• Like 4

2/5 0*

I got Wednesday and Friday.  Comic book characters isn't a good category for me since I haven't read a comic book in many, many years and I know current comics seem to feature superheroes and villains instead of the good old stuff like Little Lulu and Donald Duck - but I did pull it out because of the diamond pants and I've heard of the character.

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
10 minutes ago, Bliss said:

3/5 &* for Connecticut? (Have to admit, I was excited to get that one right!)

Anybody here like broccoli salad?

I like broccoli salad.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Driad said:

This was also an asterisk -- they all wrote Arkansas.

Thank You! As I was finishing it up to put on the forum, I thought, should I double check? Clearly my answer was no. Wrong answer! 😂

PS - For once the Thank You icon seemed to cover the response for me - thanks, boy am I embarrassed!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 1

Week 32: 4/5, two *

Friday I said Harlequin (being aware of the old stock character but not the movie) which doesn't count.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2

Week 32: 2/5, 1*.  Might not sound like much, but if I keep up this trend (one better than last week, which was one better than the week before) I'll be a solid 5/5 in no time!

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

3/5 with 2*  I feel somewhat better about my score as I’ve been getting so many zeds lately. Congrats to who seemed to do better this week. 

As crawfish season is ending I’ll bring a boil big enough for everyone to get their bellies full. 🥔🌽🍤

A3420354-5FE1-4462-9C91-269E6AF17794.jpeg.0f8c74f4ccc972805ed53b8e8844cb99.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Driad said:

Week 32: 4/5, two *

Friday I said Harlequin (being aware of the old stock character but not the movie) which doesn't count.

I think it might count because the pronunciation is pretty much the same.
There isn’t an extra syllable or consonant, is there?
🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think it might count because the pronunciation is pretty much the same.
There isn’t an extra syllable or consonant, is there?
🤷🏻‍♀️

I really don’t think that would be accepted because while similar, it is not exactly the same. Harlequin is pronounced with a short “e” (and no pause between syllables), while Harley Quinn has a long “e” and is two distinct words. 

Or maybe I’m just grumpy because I got stuck on an image of a jester and never made it to Ms. Quinn, a character that is only vaguely familiar to me. I’m also still mad about blanking out on Connecticut.

0/5. I’ll just sit in the corner and stuff my face with some of that freaky looking crayon cake. Or some real crayons. I don’t deserve cake.

• Hugs 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

0/5. I’ll just sit in the corner and stuff my face with some of that freaky looking crayon cake. Or some real crayons. I don’t deserve cake

🤣🥰
I’d offer you half of the zucchini muffin I brought home from my daughter’s house yesterday, but it’s long gone.
It disappeared before I even thought about taking a picture to share.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 6

ooop, fell behind by a week. OK, catching up:

week 31: a (for me) rare 4/5, with the *.

week 32- a much more common 3/5, but with one (not both) *.

• Applause 1

4/5 with one * (lucky guess on Connecticut since I made a guess that it was probably one of the first 13).  Actually the whole week was lucky guesses with a total mind blank for summit.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
(edited)
On 4/21/2024 at 2:18 AM, 30 Helens said:

0/5. I’ll just sit in the corner and stuff my face with some of that freaky looking crayon cake. Or some real crayons. I don’t deserve cake.

As others have said, EVERYONE deserves cake (and ice cream), and those with a zero week deserve it even more.

13 hours ago, dankesean said:

ooop, fell behind by a week. OK, catching up:

week 31: a (for me) rare 4/5, with the *.

week 32- a much more common 3/5, but with one (not both) *.

dankeschön, Dankesean!

I ended up 2/5 with no *.  But that's an improvement. So I'm good with that.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3