Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Driad said:

Will there be a prize for the longest "0" streak?  Doughnuts?

Great minds think alike!
(even if we suck at Champion FJ)

10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

That's 14 missed FJ in a row. 

I'm up to 12 in a row now, but I had 17 a few weeks ago.

Maybe after they finish the JIT and go back to "regular" Jeopardy!, anyone who has their own stats for Streak of Zeros can include them here with their regular scores for the final Champs week?

@Clanstarling wouldn't necessarily need to tally them. I or someone else could.

• Like 3

I had to go back to game #9042, air date 2/20, to find a FJ I was able to answer. That equates to 23 donuts in a row. (I thought my midsection was looking a little puffy.)

Do I win a prize?

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe after they finish the JIT and go back to "regular" Jeopardy!, anyone who has their own stats for Streak of Zeros can include them here with their regular scores for the final Champs week?

@Clanstarling wouldn't necessarily need to tally them. I or someone else could.

I have all your stats - it makes sense for me to do it. Once the JIT is over, give me a few days to make it so.

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I had to go back to game #9042, air date 2/20, to find a FJ I was able to answer. That equates to 23 donuts in a row. (I thought my midsection was looking a little puffy.)

Do I win a prize?

@ams1001's golden doughnut is looking good - but you might have some competition. 😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1

Somehow, I managed to get 2/5.  For Monday, I never flew out of Yerevan, but I did visit it on a long-ago student trip (Soviet era).  It popped into my brain with the category and the letters. 

For Friday, Rosetta Stone seemed likely although I was totally unaware of when it was discovered.  Ironically, I probably visited it at the British Museum on the same trip as Yerevan since London was departure/reentry point for flights to the USSR and we spent at least a week to ten days there.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Do I win a prize?

I have you beat by one!  Hoping to break my streak tonight!

• Like 4
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm up to 12 in a row now, but I had 17 a few weeks ago.

9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That equates to 23 donuts in a row. (I thought my midsection was looking a little puffy.)

Do I win a prize?

3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have you beat by one!  Hoping to break my streak tonight!

So if I'm going to get a Booby prize, it looks like we'd also have to have Total Zeros During the Tourneys.

I'm not sure if bagels are second to donuts, but I'll take 'em.

• Like 2

Week 29: 1/5
YTD: 72/145 (50%) with 6*

I won my work's Spring raffle this week and one of the things in my bag was a Tokidoki blind box. The one I got was called Chococat (which seems to be a black cat, dressed as a cow riding a unicorn...); it also had some stickers, including this little friend of Hello Kitty (who, the internet tells me, is a bunny named My Melody) eating a donut while wearing a little donut hat, so I had to share her here.

image.png.9ef1e81ff4ea1fca2985cd5768ade106.png

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Week 29 – March 25 – JIT – Two Asterisks
141.    * NOTORIOUS FIGURES - Never even a soldier, this man lied that his nickname came from a shrapnel wound while fighting in the Argonne (Al Capone “Scarface”…I’ll allow it)
142.     ELEMENTS - In his "Natural History" Pliny described it as "argentum vivum" (mercury)
143.     OLD WORDS - First appearing in an English dictionary in 1623, mesonoxian means pertaining to this word (midnight)
144.     *20th CENTURY BOOKS - TIME mentioned "cruelty & enforced conformity" when summing up this novel with a "stonily silent narrator" (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest)
145.     U.S.S.R.I.P. - Of the 15 countries formed by the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, this one is alphabetically last (Uzbekistan)

Thanks to Sporcle, I got Uzbekistan (thankfully, I was visualizing Asia and not Europe, or I might have answered Ukraine).

Edited by Clanstarling
Because I misspelled Sporcle, and anyone who wants to try it out wouldn't get there.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

4/5 + 1* (Monday).  Thursday I was waffling between two books, the same wrong answers the contestants gave.  Friday I was sure there was one after Uzbekistan that I couldn't remember, but I'll accept the point.

• Like 2
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Week 29: 2/5, one *

YTD: 63/145, seven *

World's Largest Czech Egg.

Wilson, Kansas

image.png.f1ed23d0fc1ee754ea6050655e79a926.png

Hey!  Save the egg for us zero-ers!

(0/5, by the way)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

Thanks to Clanstarling allowing Scarface, I had a better week... 3/5 and one *

Thanks also to my latin teacher and Jetpunk.

Oh, and thanks to the Easter Bunny for their treats yesterday.

For anyone with small grandchildren, here's a riddle: What do you get when you throw a firecracker down a rabbit hole? A hot cross bunny!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 7

2/5, Uzbekistan plus a certain element.

And because a little mercury never hurt anyone (certainly not me!), I will bring a platter of Tuna Crostini for the appetizer table.

IMG_0540.jpeg.3434c3ef29a2f36ddda2639de9c2c825.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, secnarf said:

2/5* with special thanks to @Clanstarling for allowing just "Scarface".

Uzbekistan was my other get.

You're welcome. I didn't take it for myself, because I'm the rulemaker and I shouldn't profit from it. 😉

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

You're welcome. I didn't take it for myself, because I'm the rulemaker and I shouldn't profit from it. 😉

Nor should you be penalized for being the rulemaker. I vote that either we all, including you, get it or none of us get it!

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Nor should you be penalized for being the rulemaker. I vote that either we all, including you, get it or none of us get it!

agreed!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I am in the 2/5 with an * group for Scarface & Uzbekistan.  How I got either I will never know but into my brain they popped and stayed. 

@Clanstarling - absolutely count me among those who say you should get credit for Scarface.  You took on a great responsibility in running this forum which brings heaps of joy to me and I assume many others.  Don't sell yourself short!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

As a neutral party (I lurk in this thread, but I’m not part of the contest), I vote Clanstarling should get credit! 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Week 30: 2/5 (Monday and Friday, wardrobe and NSA)
YTD: 74/150 (49%) with 6*

I'll bring some jiggly jello in honor of the Great New Jersey Earthquake of 2024 that I experienced this morning.

jello GIF

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 2

Week 30:  0/5.

In the past four weeks, I'm 1/20. The last time I went 3/5 or better was Week 22. 😲I'm definitely looking forward to non-tournament play, in the hope that I'll do better in FJ.

Win Monday, Amy!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1