Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

Week 14 • Dec. 11  No Asterisk
66.     20th CENTURY LITERATURE - Thomas Pynchon wrote that this novelist "in 1948 understood that despite the Axis defeat... fascism had not gone away" (George Orwell)
67.     AMERICAN LITERATURE - Chapter 100 of this novel introduces the one-armed Captain Boomer of the Samuel Enderby (Moby Dick)
68.     MOVIE MUSICALS - Of the musicals to win an Oscar for Best Picture, 1 of the 2 with one-word titles based on & named for literary characters (Oliver and Gigi)
69.     BUSINESS - Of the Big 4 U.S. airlines, the 4 that each have over 15% of the domestic market, it's the youngest (Southwest)
70.    THE WILD WEST - In 1888's "Ranch Life & the Hunting-Trail" Teddy Roosevelt wrote his 2 ranch hands were "able to travel" like this animal (Bull Moose)

Edited by Clanstarling
Thank you @sometamegazelle
  • Thanks 5

2/5

Bah humbug.

Don't mind me... I'll get over it.

Bringing shortbread to the party since I just figured out why it's so popular this time of year - we're all short of 'bread' (money). 🙃

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6

3/5 with an oHIo week - for both Monday and Friday, I got lost in the weeds of deciphering the clues and didn't make it to any specific answer. 

Moby Dick (which I still twitch about reading through after having read both Omoo and Typee that same semester) and Southwest were both guesses I felt pretty good about but Gigi/Oliver was an instaget (solidly in my wheelhouse). 

In honor of Gigi, I will offer up lighter than air quiche from a nearby French restaurant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3

I am sorry to bring you the news that @saber5055 passed away in early November. I hadn't heard from her for a while, so I since I knew her real name and where she lived, I searched for her online. I was sad to find her obituary. So at the end of this week, let's all raise one (drink, tasty food, etc.) to Saber, may she be getting puppy cuddles and Dairy Queen milkshakes wherever she may be.

Update: In an amazing coincidence, Saber passed away November 8 - on the same date as Alex, and from the same disease. You don't get more Jeopardy than that!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 20
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I am sorry to bring you the news that @saber5055 passed away in early November. I hadn't heard from her for a while, so I since I knew her real name and where she lived, I searched for her online. I was sad to find her obituary. So at the end of this week, let's all raise one (drink, tasty food, etc.) to Saber, may she be getting puppy cuddles and Dairy Queen milkshakes wherever she may be.

Update: In an amazing coincidence, Saber passed away November 8 - on the same date as Alex, and from the same disease. You don't get more Jeopardy than that!

Thank you for letting us know. 
I was just thinking yesterday about how there are posters whose names I used to see and don't anymore and supposed some had passed away.

😟😔😢

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 5

I don't participate in the contest, and in fact, I pretty much stopped watching the show due to the strikes, but I'm not leaving this forum because I enjoy the people so much.  I hope Saber knew what a kind community formed here due to her setting up this contest.  This is very sad news. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 4

So extremely sorry to hear about Saber. We had a few private conversations over the years as we had so many common interests (mainly dogs), and I was wondering why she hadn't responded. RIP, Saber.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3

Thank you so much for sharing this sad news!  I exchanged some messages with Saber awhile back and got a chance to tell her how much this forum meant to me, especially after Mother Grundoon died and during the early days of the pandemic.  

We all need to express appreciation to those we value since you never know when the chance to do so will end.  I will definitely raise a glass to Saber in the upcoming days, but to everyone here - please have the happiest, healthiest holidays you can - celebrate in whatever way you chose - and accept my gratitude for allowing me to participate in this forum.  This community is very real and very helpful to keeping up my spirits when others try to bring me down.  Love to all  - rest in peace, Saber!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 5
  • Fire 1
  • Love 5

I am so very saddened by this news. I haven’t been on this forum as long as some of you, but even in my brief interactions with Saber, her warmth and generosity were apparent. I can only hope she knew what a positive and far-reaching impact she made here. On a personal note, her avatar was the spitting image of a dog I mourn to this day, and my wish is that wherever they are, they are looking out for each other. 

• Love 4

Week 15: 2/5
YTD: 41/75 (55%) with 2*

Posting on Saturday morning and I just made some cocoa. Will probably make some Tiger Eye tea - chocolate, vanilla, caramel - in a bit.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5

Week 15: 1/5  
— for Friday's Churchill, because that's all I said. 
Thank goodness I couldn't recall Neville Chamberlain's name, because he seemed more likely to run off to Canada, but, apparently, no: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Neville-Chamberlain#:~:text=In Churchill’s coalition government he served loyally as lord president of the council until September 30%2C 1940%2C when ill health forced him to resign that office and the Conservative Party leadership. He died a few weeks later.

Jeopardy! was pre-empted here, so I set a 30 second timer and then looked at J! Archive for the FJ clue, not trusting the YouTube video to pause between the FJ clue and the answer.

ETA: 
Regarding the "predicted he would flee to Canada" portion of Friday's FJ clue: Of course Hitler would accuse Churchill of running away in the same breath in which warmongering Hitler accused Churchill of being the "warmonger."

10 hours ago, opus said:

Posting is back? Bummer. Now I have to report 0/5 this week

RIP saber

IMG_9918.jpeg

This is for all the 0/5ers. 
Marshmallow-Snowman-Hot-Chocolate-9.jpg

I will always remember Saber for 2 pieces of knowledge imparted to me, one being how to resize images here so they aren't too big. 
I recall when her perfect, concise instructions worked that I declared she was a genius, to which she responded with a laugh. 
❤️

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

This is for all the 0/5ers. 
Marshmallow-Snowman-Hot-Chocolate-9.jpg

😄

Some posts need the option of two reactions. I wanted to laugh at this but heart the other part. (And I noticed that the heart is now blue and the laugh is different, too. Don't know if they'll stay that way, but I like the blue heart, just because it's my favorite color; I kind of prefer the old laugh, though...this one just doesn't fit the style of the rest.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7

Week 15 • Dec 18   One Asterisk
71.     NATIONAL MONUMENTS - Designated in 2016, a New York City monument named for this place of business includes nearby Christopher Park (Stonewall <Inn>)
72.     INVENTIONS - Invented in 1816, it takes its name from Greek for "chest" & "observe" (stethoscope)
73.     COUNTRIES - Of the 14 countries that border China, it's the only monarchy & the only one with a population under 1 million (Bhutan)
74.     *FROM PAGE TO STAGE - The opera based on this 1993 memoir was staged at a prison for the first time in 2023, at Sing Sing with a chorus of 14 inmates (Dead Man Walking)
75.    THE 20th CENTURY - On July 19, 1940 Hitler called this man a warmonger & wrongly predicted he would flee to Canada (Churchill)

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and have a wonderful time whatever celebrations you practice this time of year!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 7