Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just binge-watched the season thus far, and I have many, many opinions!

My first thought - the editors made it seem very, very obvious that Theresa is leaving. Is it normal for them to make it so obvious?

It really makes me wonder if he's going to give Faith the boot, instead. Presumably because she doesn't want to move to Indiana.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, funnygirl said:

All over again? I'm on the hunt, now! 😂 It's hard to find a decent man out there. 

I'm 35 and a single lady- never married but I'm hoping to find a husband someday! 😄👀🌹👨.   Dating apps are frustrating sometimes, but I take comfort in the fact that I will never try out for "Married at First Sight"- those people have really given up the ghost 😅!  I know that I'm a great catch and I'm not going to settle or take on a damaged guy as a fixer upper project- If I want to watch something grow and change, I can look at my houseplants 🙂!  My dream guy is out there, I'll just have to go through Bumble, Hinge, and Match.com to find him! 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I  disagree with your "Apparently" conclusion. Just because an older widow doesn't feel like marrying again doesn't  mean her marriage was "lousy." It could be exactly the opposite. 

Even Golden Gerry wasn't so sure that he wanted to try to catch marital lightning in a bottle twice. 

Twenty lashes for me.  Sorry .. just going by friends of mine who have had bad experiences.  Nothing personal on here.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I'm 74 today, and I feel it my duty to edumacate some young'uns here. How shall I put it delicately? 😇

Older people are "different" from 20-Somethings and seek "Care"? "Companionship"? All well and good, but this ain't "Golden Nursemaid" or "Golden Retriever"! 

It's "Golden Bachelor," and, like gold, "Lust Don't Rust!"

😉 😎 🔥

Happy Birthday!!! 🥳

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I'm 74 today, and I feel it my duty to edumacate some young'uns here. How shall I put it delicately? 😇

Older people are "different" from 20-Somethings and seek "Care"? "Companionship"? All well and good, but this ain't "Golden Nursemaid" or "Golden Retriever"! 

😉 😎 🔥

Happy Birthday 🍰🥳!! Yes 😄!!! 🙌🔥🌹🛏️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️  The Fantasy Suites will be fun to watch next week since Gerry and the girls have a lot of chemistry! I loved it when Gerry howled like a wolf after he kissed Leslie against the brick wall- he's a lot of fun.   Grandzaddy Gerry has game, and he will throw it down! 🔥🙌🌹😃

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 11/4/2023 at 9:54 AM, DEL901 said:

He does the Holiday, Spring and Summer Baking Challenge shows.   The Holiday one is about to start on Monday on the food network.    He does a lot more there and is very charming and down to earth.  

…and dresses up and makes dad jokes.   He is great.  

He has totally eclipsed Chris Harrison, and he is hotter than any guy on any of the Bachelor franchise shows.  He does a lot with a little.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

😉 😎 🔥

Happy birthday, but more importantly, when can I watch “Golden Retriever”?  I need to set my dvr. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
47 minutes ago, Alexander Pope said:

He does a lot with a little.

WORD!

3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

My first thought - the editors made it seem very, very obvious that Theresa is leaving. Is it normal for them to make it so obvious?

I hope - I hope - I hope - I hope ... but I don't trust those hints you're receiving.  I AM VERY CONCERNED that she's NOT leaving!  Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I've never been married and while I would like to find "my guy" watching this show makes me realize I'm not that desperate.  I liked Susan because she seemed like when she realized she didn't have a chance, she started having fun.  But watching some of the women, they come across as so desperate and it reminds me of the 20-something Bachelorettes (and I haven't watched that show in years).  

Exactly!  I feel the same on your thoughts about Susan. I have never been married either.  I'm 58 and not longer want to put the energy or effort into it.  I never had the tools to know how to make a relationship work, and it's a lot of constant work.  My comfort zone is being single as I have a lot of male friends as well (I am not intimate with them).  At this point I don't want to spend the rest of my life 'working at it'.  I love my downtime when I need, and have friends to reach out to when I need. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

+1 for all the single ladies of this age.

I'm 61, divorced/no kids, and my biggest pet peeve is the "aww, so sorry" stare when I tell people this.  People ask if I'm married and/or have kids, and when I say, "No, just me!" with a smile, they get this sad look.  Tell me to "hang in there", "he's in the place you'll least expect" and all that.

Um, what I'd love is more actual friends, not people who pity me.  

It's probably what I loved best about this GB show:  the friendships these women made.  I suspect some of them will be lifelong.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I'm 61, divorced/no kids, and my biggest pet peeve is the "aww, so sorry" stare when I tell people this.  People ask if I'm married and/or have kids, and when I say, "No, just me!" with a smile, they get this sad look.  Tell me to "hang in there", "he's in the place you'll least expect" and all that.

It's probably what I loved best about this GB show:  the friendships these women made.  I suspect some of them will be lifelong.

I developed the perfect answer many years ago to the insensitive questions when people would ask me: "How come you aren't married?"

My answer "Am I suppose to be?"

Or,

"Why don't you have kids?"

My answer: "Am I suppose to?"

How can one argue those answers.  

Marriage/children is not for everyone.  Well, not for me at least.  I have traveled the world, had/have many hobbies.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6
Just now, bequialife said:

I developed the perfect answer many years ago to the insensitive questions when people would ask me: "How come you aren't married?"

Or,

Love this!  Stealing!  😀

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Absolutely second that!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bequialife said:

Or,

How can one argue those answers.  

Marriage/children is not for everyone.  Well, not for me at least.  I have traveled the world, had/have many hobbies.  

I got married at 45 and got variations of this question many times before that. My stock response was "I haven't met the right guy and I'm not gonna settle for the wrong one."

• Like 5
  • Love 3

On 11/3/2023 at 7:26 PM, bankerchick said:

First of all, when I saw the 3 finalists again, I was once again reminded how these women (who all look better than I do) are so underwhelming.  So many more-beautiful women have already gone home.

Ok...but...if simply being more beautiful were the most important thing, then Prince Charles would have stayed with Princess Di, and all we would need is beauty pageants to make marriage selections!

• Like 9
  • Applause 9
5 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Ok...but...if simply being more beautiful were the most important thing, then Prince Charles would have stayed with Princess Di, and all we would need is beauty pageants to make marriage selections!

I totally agree. And why would he ask for "older" ladies rather than 20 year old arm candy if all he were interested in was looks.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I got married at 45 and got variations of this question many times before that. My stock response was "I haven't met the right guy and I'm not gonna settle for the wrong one."

I like that!

• Like 5
On 11/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, seacliffsal said:

Anyway, I thought both of Theresa's sisters looked pretty and much better than their surgically enhanced sister.  

IIRC, both Theresa's older sister and Faith's older sister looked younger than they did. And Theresa's looked significantly younger, without any sign (that I could see) of surgery.

On 11/3/2023 at 1:05 PM, debbie311 said:

Was it Faith in the black dress?  Did not flatter her, her boobs looked pretty saggy. 

IIRC it was Leslie, and it was not the first time that she has worn dresses that made her boobs look saggy

• Like 4
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

😉 😎 🔥

May you enjoy chocolate cake with Mocha Buttercream frosting on this special day!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

this ain't "Golden Nursemaid" or "Golden Retriever"! 

I would SO sign up for “Golden Retriever “!  And I’d probably say “I love you” to every last one of them!

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I'm 35 and a single lady- never married but I'm hoping to find a husband someday! 😄👀🌹👨.   Dating apps are frustrating sometimes, but I take comfort in the fact that I will never try out for "Married at First Sight"- those people have really given up the ghost 😅!  I know that I'm a great catch and I'm not going to settle or take on a damaged guy as a fixer upper project- If I want to watch something grow and change, I can look at my houseplants 🙂!  My dream guy is out there, I'll just have to go through Bumble, Hinge, and Match.com to find him! 

Three of my neighbors have found men on Match.com.  They met for coffee at the Mall in daytime.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 10/31/2023 at 5:56 PM, Armchair Critic said:

It's on Hulu now. Looks like it could be a fun place to live if you are an extrovert. OMG that guy who lived in his van looking for a rich woman to support him. 😂

Just watched it, and what I couldn't believe about the van guy is that his mother was still alive!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I totally agree. And why would he ask for "older" ladies rather than 20 year old arm candy if all he were interested in was looks.

He said before the show started airing, he told them he was interested in ladies 60-70.    Maybe it wasn’t his rationale, but someone younger would be more likely to be able to look after him, if that was needed in the future.  He appears to be in good shape for 72, but …..

Also, if he’d said any younger, ABC would have had a big optics problem.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I just binge-watched the season thus far, and I have many, many opinions!

It really makes me wonder if he's going to give Faith the boot, instead. Presumably because she doesn't want to move to Indiana.

Faith said on the last episode that she would move to be with him.  Def the producers want to keep us guessing... and we def are lol. The editors are huge tricksters!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Whoever he picks, will they get married?  Is that what this is all about?  We are a little older than Gerry.  At this point, health issues come up.  I see my husband slowing down gradually, but so am I because of back surgery.  Are they ready for this?  Things come up out of nowhere.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1

Just watching now.  It’s gotta be Leslie.  And I didn’t like her at all until the hometown, weird huh.  Now she’s my front runner for him. 
Faith: I am a horse person too, when she said her horse was buried there, it made me tear up. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
27 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Whoever he picks, will they get married?  Is that what this is all about?  We are a little older than Gerry.  At this point, health issues come up.  I see my husband slowing down gradually, but so am I because of back surgery.  Are they ready for this?  Things come up out of nowhere.

Why do people get married, I know I did because I thought it was what I wanted but honestly now I wouldn't even bother.  At that age I would def go to a lawyer and get my life in order.  It can get complicated with previous marriages and children from both sides.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Whoever he picks, will they get married?  Is that what this is all about?

That's what Production pretends it's all about.  The majority DO NOT get married.  I'd bet Gerry will not either, although he did appear on "The View" and said he was in love.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, endure said:

Why do people get married, I know I did because I thought it was what I wanted but honestly now I wouldn't even bother.  At that age I would def go to a lawyer and get my life in order.  It can get complicated with previous marriages and children from both sides.

That's how I feel about dating!

• Like 11
  • LOL 4
13 hours ago, endure said:

Faith said on the last episode that she would move to be with him.  Def the producers want to keep us guessing... and we def are lol. The editors are huge tricksters!

When did she say that she would move?

If I were Gerry, I'd have huge reservations about Faith offering to move. She's clearly attached to her life in her hometown (much more than Leslie, I'm guessing). If she moved, she'd be doing it solely for him.

She has so much more to give up than a typical bachelor contestant.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
9 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

That's what Production pretends it's all about.  The majority DO NOT get married.  I'd bet Gerry will not either, although he did appear on "The View" and said he was in love.

Maybe 'love' is different for Gerry.  He's told two the three home dates he loves them too!

I don't think anybody's getting married.  They all have money and families to consider.  Maybe love is blind but cash rules when your 70!

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I have one query:

Is everyone posting about what WE 70-Somethings believe or want or value ("cash rules"?) or feel---

also in their 70s? J/S. 

Moreover, Gerry is not going to "pick no one." Such an empty result would completely invalidate and even destroy the network's entire investment in this demographic.

So that ain't gonna happen.

Plus, Gerry wouldn't walk away empty-handed as it were and then (reportedly) go on a Talk Show to declare he's "in love." Unless he and the show's producers are blithering idiots. 

P.S. Bachelor Brad Womack of Season 11 chose no-one, so Gerry wouldn't  even be the first. 

P.P.S. If Gerry went on this show only to be a celebrity, he would be incredibly disrespectful to his late wife with his reminiscences and tears, so I choose to believe he's been sincere. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
On 11/4/2023 at 10:04 AM, Grizzly said:

If allowed, I would dump Gerry and run off with Jesse. Does he get to do more on the regular shows?

I love Jesse. I watch the Holiday Baking Championship which he also hosts and he's great! I wish he had never left his GMA correspondent gig though. He was the S5 Bachelor nearly 20 years ago!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

When did she say that she would move?

If I were Gerry, I'd have huge reservations about Faith offering to move. She's clearly attached to her life in her hometown (much more than Leslie, I'm guessing). If she moved, she'd be doing it solely for him.

She has so much more to give up than a typical bachelor contestant.

In the last episode when Faith is talking with her sister about their relationship she says.... I would leave with him in a heartbeat.  But honestly as much as I wish it was Faith, I don't think it will be 💔

• Like 4
On 11/4/2023 at 2:56 AM, gingerandcloves said:

And maybe at their age, they're like, the hell with it, what do I have to lose? 

I'm sure a lot of the "I love you's" etc.  may have been egged on by the producers, but there is another side of the coin that many of our younger posters here might like to consider. I'm in my mid 60's now and I woke up one day to the realization that I may not be here for much longer. So the "someday I'll do this" changes to "shit, I'd  better get on this if I want it to happen". We have no guarantee of a super long life. I wasted a lot of time wanting to travel and see the world. Now I'm scrambling to do just that. Luckily I'm in pretty good health, but one never knows what tomorrow may bring.  Older people have experienced  what they want and have suffered loss and have gained a certain level of experience. They just don't have the luxury of time as younger people do. Maybe this could help explain their sense of urgency sometimes?

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Like 19
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

I'm sure a lot of the "I love you's" etc.  may have been egged on by the producers, but there is another side of the coin that many of our younger posters here might like to consider. I'm in my mid 60's now and I woke up one day to the realization that I may not be here for much longer. So the "someday I'll do this" changes to "shit, I'd  better get on this if I want it to happen". We have no guarantee of a super long life. I wasted a lot of time wanting to travel and see the world. Now I'm scrambling to do just that. Luckily I'm in pretty good health, but one never knows what tomorrow may bring.  Older people have experienced  what they want and have suffered loss and have gained a certain level of experience. They just don't have the luxury of time as younger people do. Maybe this could help explain their sense of urgency sometimes?

Loved this post as it is so true.  My Son worked for United Airlines and gave us free passes to anywhere in the world.  I’ve always wanted to go to Italy.  I declined as I had two in college at the time and didn’t want to spend the money in  Europe.  Time went by .. we both had back surgeries, etc.  No traveling.  So sorry I didn’t take advantage when I was in my early sixties.  Now, in our seventies, traveling is very hard, especially walking.  Do it now when you all are fit.  P.S.  Out of the blue, my husband had a heart attack and open heart surgery.  That kept us in the house for a long time.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 20
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

I'm in my mid 60's now and I woke up one day to the realization that I may not be here for much longer.

4 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I’ve always wanted to go to Italy.  I declined as I had two in college at the time and didn’t want to spend the money in  Europe.

Yep to both of you.  I've always been very active and actually liked exercise, I was running and taking adult ballet lessons into my sixties. Then one day I tripped over my cat going down the steps into the garage, broke my leg in several places and have walked with a cane ever since.  I told everyone I went from 63 to 80 in one day and they didn't argue with me.  Now just making it through the supermarket is a challenge, something like Pickle ball looks  like incredible  forbidden fun to me and travel is out of the question. 

I think Faith loves her horses, but might be ready to give them up as the work of  it all gets to be too much.  My SIL had to give up her horse for that reason.  Sad-eyed Faith  may appreciate sitting fireside with a nice man and not having to  prove how motorcycling cool she is anymore.

As for the money thing.  That's what pre-nups are for.  All smart older couples get them before marriage.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Yep to both of you.  I've always been very active and actually liked exercise, I was running and taking adult ballet lessons into my sixties. Then one day I tripped over my cat going down the steps into the garage, broke my leg in several places and have walked with a cane ever since.  I told everyone I went from 63 to 80 in one day and they didn't argue with me.  Now just making it through the supermarket is a challenge, something like Pickle ball looks  like incredible  forbidden fun to me and travel is out of the question. 

I think Faith loves her horses, but might be ready to give them up as the work of  it all gets to be too much.  My SIL had to give up her horse for that reason.  Sad-eyed Faith  may appreciate sitting fireside with a nice man and not having to  prove how motorcycling cool she is anymore.

As for the money thing.  That's what pre-nups are for.  All smart older couples get them before marriage.

So sorry about your fall.  I’ve been there.  Falling at this point is a killer.  I skied, played tennis, was also very active until the falls.  I was always very “quick” with everything.  No more.  But, I guess people have it much worse, right?  Take care. ❤️

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Three of my neighbors have found men on Match.com.  They met for coffee at the Mall in daytime.

I met my husband on match.com. We were both 52 at the time. We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this month.

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • Love 15
19 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Just watching now.  It’s gotta be Leslie.  And I didn’t like her at all until the hometown, weird huh.  Now she’s my front runner for him. 
Faith: I am a horse person too, when she said her horse was buried there, it made me tear up. 

Leslie’s brother looks to be a pain in the ass, lol.  Too much to say.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Then one day I tripped over my cat going down the steps into the garage,

My husband and I are very careful going downstairs because our cat loves to lie in wait for us halfway down.  Some days we suspect he’s truly out to get us! 😼

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 7

Looks like this is going to give the last thirty "most dramatic rose ceremony ever" ceremonies a run for their money. This really does seem worse than the usual hometowns, when the bachelor/ette has to tell all of their boyfriends/girlfriends families how much they see a future with them all the while planning which one they want to ditch after this, when you get cute grandchildren involved. 

I want to ride around everyone on my horses!

I cant believe they make these ladies do the same stupid "jump into his arms and and wrap your legs around him" bit. It looks silly on the main show and it looks even sillier here, and a bit dangerous. I know that everyone on this show is in great health, but that's a lot of leg. 

I like Leslie and I think she and Gerry have a lot of chemistry, she's probably my first pick, but I am really not sure where this is going to go. I personally like Theresa the best and was previously my number one pick, but I think things have changed up.

I have generally liked Gerry, but I think he has a selfish streak that a lot of people get on this show. Its all about him and his journey and what the ladies can bring to him, not how he would improve their lives or about their journeys.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I have generally liked Gerry, but I think he has a selfish streak that a lot of people get on this show. Its all about him and his journey and what the ladies can bring to him, not how he would improve their lives or about their journeys.

just like the format of the show encourages the contestants to see the lead as "the best thing since sliced bread," the format does the same to the lead. Pretty sad; isn't some of the joy of a new love relationship the idea that "I love this guy/gal --- and isn't it amazing that he/she loves me just as much!"

• Like 10
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Loved this post as it is so true.  My Son worked for United Airlines and gave us free passes to anywhere in the world.  I’ve always wanted to go to Italy.  I declined as I had two in college at the time and didn’t want to spend the money in  Europe.  Time went by .. we both had back surgeries, etc.  No traveling.  So sorry I didn’t take advantage when I was in my early sixties.  Now, in our seventies, traveling is very hard, especially walking.  Do it now when you all are fit.  P.S.  Out of the blue, my husband had a heart attack and open heart surgery.  That kept us in the house for a long time.

Traveling is hard work at any age imo. I traveled a lot when I was younger and often said you don't know what the future holds to justify why I would quit jobs etc to do that.  I ended up disabled later in life so for me it was the right thing..... and I have no desire to travel now.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3