Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think they felt like a chic, leggy blonde and also one of the youngest women on Gerry's season would be the best bet for attracting boomer men.

Joan is also widowed like Gerry, and they probably prefer crafting a narrative out of that storyline more than the divorcee stories of women like Ellen and Leslie.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

Clearly, the intention here was just to boost the Bachelor franchise ratings. From pushing Theresa and Gerry into a shotgun wedding to picking an absurd representation of an older woman, this is just the same formula for shallow drama and failure that this show has deteriorated into.

Just when American women need most to be seen as serious, vital human beings with purpose and power and not just pretty faces to toss or reconstruct as we age, we get this. No thanks. I'm not buying.

You are right. Sure on GB, we saw women like Joan, but we also saw older women who looked good but didn't look like they were trying to be 25 again. Its a shame because I had really hope they would have a good representation of "golden" women. I still keep thinking what a lovely woman Ellen is, who looks "golden" and good. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 7
5 hours ago, atomic said:

This is just plain embarrassing.   She must not have a single real friend on the planet telling her just “no”. I’m 57 so we’re pretty close in age and I would take a knife to the throat before I put this out there. 

• Like 12
  • Mind Blown 2
36 minutes ago, sadie said:

This is just plain embarrassing.   She must not have a single real friend on the planet telling her just “no”. I’m 57 so we’re pretty close in age and I would take a knife to the throat before I put this out there. 

I turn 59 this year and while I'm not sitting in a rocking chair and I like to occasionally shop in the juniors department, I would NEVER do this. She looks silly. 

• Like 6
38 minutes ago, sadie said:

She probably did it for her grandkids. 

• Hugs 1
  • Useful 1

Oh gosh that cooking video was so bad!  She was talking way too fast and obviously reading, plus my pet peeve from show cooks is someone cooking with her cuffs dragging in the food.

Now, I'm suspicious that the GB producers wanted her for this from the time she had to suddenly go home because her daughter sounded sad.  They might have asked Jerry if she was a real contender and then talked to her about it.  Jerry has said it was Theresa from the first. (That little hand on his shoulder.)

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
14 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

You are so kind to think this!  🥰

Add me to the No Thank You Club for Joan as the Golden Bach'ette.  There's no personality there at all and all the fillers are horrible. I'm sure her bachelors will be younger than her, I just hope not too young.  Really not interested in a cougar edition of this franchise. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 4
2 minutes ago, eclectcmoi said:

You are so kind to think this!  🥰

Add me to the No Thank You Club for Joan as the Golden Bach'ette.  There's no personality there at all and all the fillers are horrible. I'm sure her bachelors will be younger than her, I just hope not too young.  Really not interested in a cougar edition of this franchise. 

i wasn't planning on watching but I might tune in for the first episode as I am curious what type of men they will have. I get a feeling there will be some much younger ones in the mix. Yea, Cougar Bachelorette. 

• Like 9
46 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

You are a much much kinder soul than I. Lol. If you make a silly video for your grandkids you send it them only, you dont post it on your very public Insta page. I think this is her attempt to school all the haters who call her boring, she thinks this makes her look whimsical and fun, it just makes her look desperate.  But oh what fun we are all having with it.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
36 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

i wasn't planning on watching but I might tune in for the first episode as I am curious what type of men they will have. I get a feeling there will be some much younger ones in the mix. Yea, Cougar Bachelorette. 

Cougar Bachelorette is right! Note the required animal print shirt that all cougars must wear.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
10 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Cougar Bachelorette is right! Note the required animal print shirt that all cougars must wear.

Wow, I didn't even connect the two. Ugh. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, DEL901 said:

And she is a 61 year old blonde.  Checks the boxes for them.   

Nancy was right there! 

Unless the other more compelling/interesting women were offered and declined, choosing Joan who self-elimintated a few weeks into the show is a bit of a headscratcher. 

And yet, I'll still be watching. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I don't have TikTok, so I haven't seen Joan's antics. 

you could see what Sadie posted just up above. Truly embarassing.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, atomic said:

Takes a lot for these folks to make me cringe, but by golly, Joan's post here did the trick.

BTW, I don't like the official promo photo of Joan (on IG @ goldenbachabc). To me, she looks just a couple of steps away from Joker territory. YMMV

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Takes a lot for these folks to make me cringe, but by golly, Joan's post here did the trick.

BTW, I don't like the official promo photo of Joan (on IG @ goldenbachabc). To me, she looks just a couple of steps away from Joker territory. YMMV

Is that the one with her holding the golden rose, because if so.... good comparison! I'm really getting more turned off by all of this. She is pulled tighter than a drum and filled more that a balloon about to burst. That is what older woman are supposed to look like? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 5

reminds me of a nice but ditzy woman on an expensive "expedition" we went on. She had been pulled tight, and definitely had more than a trace of a "Joker" look. Scary!

• Like 5

Oh boy. Season hasn't even started yet and it already has doom written all over it.  😬

She will never move away from her family for a man

“That was actually the first question that Gary asked me. We sat down for the first time together and he said, ‘You live in Maryland, I live in Indiana. How do you see something like this working?’ … My answer to him was – and it still is my answer – I think you almost have to live a dual life.

I’ll never leave my family. They are the most important people in the world to me obviously, and I would expect that to be the same for the person that I end up with because family is so important to me, that would have to be a key part of their personality.

You have to be willing to … travel and be with that person and maybe spend a couple of months or a couple of weeks at a time … and then maybe eventually, you figure out a destination that would work for you and your families or have another house where everybody gets together.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/15/entertainment/golden-bachelorette-joan-vassos/index.html

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
On 5/14/2024 at 8:54 PM, Recyclorette said:

No BIP and Joan as Golden Bachelorette. Disappointment all around. There's no doubt in my mind that this Golden season will end in a nothing burger, too. What mature man will want to put up with the high maintenance Joan requires. There have been two group photos recently with several of the Golden ladies where they all have big smiles. But not Joan, she can't smile; she looked as though she was grimacing. And they had to use a filter to shoot her promo.

So much for the optimism that, with new PTB and a successful Joey season, things were on a healthier track going forward. 

All I remember about Joan is she keeps licking her lips when talking.  Guess her lips feel frozen.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
59 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

All I remember about Joan is she keeps licking her lips when talking.  Guess her lips feel frozen.

There were so many compelling and worthy women in the GB group to choose from. I can't believe this was their choice. They can filter and manipulate her press material all they want in order to entice eligible men, but their reality will be quite different in person. It's pretty sad if a woman's frozen and distorted face has come to be considered normal and attractive.

With the recent young contestants we've seen on these shows, natural beauty finally seemed to be celebrated and it was such a breath of fresh air. Joey and his women were a giant step forward, but this is a huge step back. And there was so much promise!

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
35 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

There were so many compelling and worthy women in the GB group to choose from. I can't believe this was their choice. They can filter and manipulate her press material all they want in order to entice eligible men, but their reality will be quite different in person. It's pretty sad if a woman's frozen and distorted face has come to be considered normal and attractive.

With the recent young contestants we've seen on these shows, natural beauty finally seemed to be celebrated and it was such a breath of fresh air. Joey and his women were a giant step forward, but this is a huge step back. And there was so much promise!

Agree. They are telling us that this is what a woman basically over 50 has to look like. A woman can't be real and enticing anymore? 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
(edited)

What happend to the pretty blonde woman who came out of the limo first on the Golden Bachelor?  I think a Spanish name.  These other women had their chance.  Get a new one.  So sick of Joan, Susan, Kathy and Leslie.  

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 7
21 hours ago, adhoc said:

WTH.. She looks like she could use a good meal.  What is she trying to prove?  They should pick someone we don’t know.  Besides, her face is pulled too tight.  Hard to look at.  Pick an unknown.

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

What happend to the pretty blonde woman who came out of the limo first on the Golden Bachelor?  I think a Spanish name.  These other women had their chance.  Get a new one.  So sick of Joan, Susan, Kathy and Leslie.  

Edith? Though she was more gray than blonde. She was quite lovely and looked like a good version of a woman her age. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

Edith? Though she was more gray than blonde. She was quite lovely and looked like a good version of a woman her age. 

Yes, Edith.  She looked nice.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

Yes, Edith.  She looked nice.

She did, not all pumped up with fillers and stretched to kingdom come. Find, get work done but the Joker isn't an attractive look. 

• Like 7
(edited)

Ugh, I would have watched if they got Susan, Sandra, Kathy, Edith or even Leslie. Why get Joan, the most boring person? She's not even that youthful looking if that is what they were going for. They could have picked a natural beauty who was more interesting like Sandra or Leslie. Anyone but Joan! I think I'll skip this one.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Like 5

I thought that they picked Joan at least in part because she had had to leave to take care of her daughter?  Or was that someone else?  Remember that was supposed to be the great loveus interruptus last season.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I believe that is Edith and she is indeed a stunner! I was hoping that Nancy was a possibility, too. She was the one who got upset during the wedding dress photo shoot because it brought back memories of her wedding to her deceased husband. And Sandra is in amazing shape and would be a hoot to watch!

• Like 4
On 5/15/2024 at 7:25 AM, libgirl2 said:

I'm going to be 60 next year and she is what 61? That isn't "golden" and I don't consider myself "golden". Why not a woman in her early 70s? Or at least late 60s? 

I consider golden being retired and on Medicare! 

Agree!  I am 74, retired and on Medicare.  Golden!  I believe "golden" begins at age 65.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

I thought that they picked Joan at least in part because she had had to leave to take care of her daughter?  Or was that someone else?  Remember that was supposed to be the great loveus interruptus last season.

That was Joan.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

Maybe they didn’t want Joan to continue as they already knew they would want her for the next Bachelorette?  Just a thought.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes. Edith had a GORGEOUS mane of gray hair and was quite pretty, imo. Unfortunately, she didn't stick around long enough to make a big impression. But then again, Joan left early, but on her own terms. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Yes. Edith had a GORGEOUS mane of gray hair and was quite pretty, imo. Unfortunately, she didn't stick around long enough to make a big impression. But then again, Joan left early, but on her own terms. 

Edith. She is blonde in this photo but there are others where she looks more grey. She has great hair either way but I wonder if she is sporting some really expertly done extensions. (Nothing wrong with that - I've had them and if it wasn't for the cost and upkeep, I'd still have them).

Maybe they didn’t want Joan to continue as they already knew they would want her for the next Bachelorette?  Just a thought.

She said that her daughter had post-partum depression and I think the baby might also have been premature. I gave her a lot of credit, actually, for leaving to take care of her family.

I always liked Joan. I don't follow any of them on social media so I only know of her what was on the show. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I think this is exactly right, just as it's been reported that they'd picked Charity for next Bachelorette early on.  Joan left the show early enough that it makes me think that she would have suspected in advance of leaving home that her daughter seemed to be struggling. I've always wondered if that story was true.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

I think this is exactly right, just as it's been reported that they'd picked Charity for next Bachelorette early on.  Joan left the show early enough that it makes me think that she would have suspected in advance of leaving home that her daughter seemed to be struggling. I've always wondered if that story was true.

I don't know. They weren't even sure if the GB would be successful until it aired. I wouldn't think Joan was picked while they were still filming, but instead after the show wrapped with what everyone thought was a happy ending. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Edith. She is blonde in this photo but there are others where she looks more grey. She has great hair either way but I wonder if she is sporting some really expertly done extensions.

I know Edith has a lot of fans, I didn't feel like I got to know her because she was eliminated early. She has videos of her hair routine, don't think she has extensions.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

As much as I wish it weren't true, men will go gaga for Joan.

This is just how it is:  Joan's pulled face, skinny figure, and blond hair will attract men more than the likes of any women with gray hair or who simply have natural wrinkles.  

I wish it weren't so, but it is.

The drama of the show is to have the men fall in love with Joan and fight over her.  That just wouldn't happen with Edith, Kathy, Susan et. al.

I personally hate the frozen lips that women think are attractive, the pulled face, etc., but it's who they believe the men will want.

I also believe that Joan was a chosen early to be the Golden Bachelorette and left on "heartwarming" terms so that America would love her.  I also believe that ABC had the Golden Bachelorette show all queued up and ready to produce long before Gerry ruined his show.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I know Edith has a lot of fans, I didn't feel like I got to know her because she was eliminated early. She has videos of her hair routine, don't think she has extensions.

Yes .. I think Gerry let her go right away.  I was very surprised.

• Like 4

Gerry is nominated for "Best male star" for the Critics Choice Awards, hope he doesn't win. 😆

I wonder if Gerry will make an appearance on The Golden Bachelorette? I would think he presents a problem for the showrunners because normally I could see him going on the show to cheer Joan on and say what a wonderful experience it was for him, but obviously that would be awkward now.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

Gerry is nominated for "Best male star" for the Critics Choice Awards, hope he doesn't win. 😆

I wonder if Gerry will make an appearance on The Golden Bachelorette? I would think he presents a problem for the showrunners because normally I could see him going on the show to cheer Joan on and say what a wonderful experience it was for him, but obviously that would be awkward now.

Best male star? Really?? These award shows must be hard up for nominees.

I've seen enough of the phoniness, and hope he loses too. Do you know who the other nominees in his category are??

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Do you know who the other nominees in his category are??

MALE STAR OF THE YEAR

Jerrod Carmichael – Jerrod Carmichael Reality Show (HBO)

Alan Cumming – The Traitors (Peacock)

Bertie Gregory – Animals Up Close with Bertie Gregory (Disney+)

Eugene Levy – The Reluctant Traveler with Eugene Levy (Apple TV+)

RuPaul – RuPaul’s Drag Race (MTV)

Gerry Turner – The Golden Bachelor (ABC)

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 2
On 5/17/2024 at 1:30 PM, Starlight925 said:

As much as I wish it weren't true, men will go gaga for Joan.

This is just how it is:  Joan's pulled face, skinny figure, and blond hair will attract men more than the likes of any women with gray hair or who simply have natural wrinkles.  

I wish it weren't so, but it is.

The drama of the show is to have the men fall in love with Joan and fight over her.  That just wouldn't happen with Edith, Kathy, Susan et. al.

I personally hate the frozen lips that women think are attractive, the pulled face, etc., but it's who they believe the men will want.

I also believe that Joan was a chosen early to be the Golden Bachelorette and left on "heartwarming" terms so that America would love her.  I also believe that ABC had the Golden Bachelorette show all queued up and ready to produce long before Gerry ruined his show.

Do men watch this show, though? It seems like mainly women watch it, and they aren't going to identify with Joan.

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Do men watch this show, though? 

Mine goes in the bedroom and watches something else on that tv when I watch the show, that's why I come here to talk about it. 😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Joan is a pretty lady, but she was boring. I don't see her getting high ratings. I don't doubt men will find her attractive, but I don't see this show being as popular as the last one.

At any rate, I hope we've seen the end of that clown Gerry.

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I hope we've seen the end of that clown Gerry

He has no shame, if I were him I would be hiding out. But he is posting on Instagram about being nominated for the award. Looks like his daughter is pumping up his ego again it says "NO ONE was a bigger star than dad" 🙄

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 3