Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/21/2023 at 4:17 AM, JudyObscure said:

One reason some of them seem to be looking older is the show is asking them to show a lot more skin than most women that age are used to doing.  Sleeveless gowns?  Shorts and little tennis dresses?  

The ladies bring their own dresses, so if they chose that style of gown, that's on them. The tennis dresses are another matter, but I thought for the most part that those looked good on the women and didn't show all the age-y skin that the gowns do.

On 10/20/2023 at 3:50 AM, dancingdreamer said:

I liked Leslie , but Theresa drives me bonkers. In her mind, she has them set for life. I didn't  like Cathy, but some of what she said was true. 

On 10/21/2023 at 4:17 AM, JudyObscure said:

Did anyone notice Theresa interrupting  Trista while she was trying to do her set introduction to the group date?  Theresa actually lunged forward and put her hands on Trista to stop her talking so she could tell all about her one-on-one date with Gerry. What a strange little woman she is.

On 10/20/2023 at 10:36 AM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

I don’t get the ‘Theresa is a tattletale’….outside of looking like a busted up Melissa Gilbert, I truly believe her heart is in the right place.  And she made a good point of how everyone else that’s had a one-on-one with Gerry discusses their date with the other girls, so why is she enemy #1

Totally agree about Cathy having some legitimate points about Theresa. And the appalling incident with Trista is a perfect example. (Trista was very gracious about appearing interested in Theresa's interruption.)  It's hard to believe her heart is in the right place with that interruption. Theresa has said that she says things about her time with Gerry because she's excited to share, but I don't buy it...I think she has a particular persona that includes some 'stealth' approaches, because she tries to come off otherwise as meek and mild.

BTW, one of the things I disagreed with about Cathy, is that she kept talking about how what Theresa did/said made her feel insecure. Well, why is it Theresa's job to make Cathy not feel insecure?  Maybe Cathy also feels insecure when anyone says Gerry's name in the same sentence with someone else's name...should everyone start watching their sentences when they say Gerry's name, and not put any of the women's names in that sentence?  What Cathy was really getting at, that had validity as a warning to Theresa overall, is that it comes off as bragging, and as intentionally throwing it in the other women's faces at the expense of those who haven't had as much time with Gerry.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

As handsome men over 70 were being mentioned before, I have to add a few favorites:  George Chakiris (mainly because I still see him as Bernardo); Cesar Romero (yes, I know he's dead, but the man could carry off a suit!);  Cary Grant (Gone but never forgotten);  Tom Selleck;  Clifton Davis.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I've been known to quit listening to something I'm really interested in if the speaker has an annoying speech tic.  Maybe it's just refreshing to watch a reality TV show populated by people who don't butcher the English language.

I feel the same.  I get lost and stop listening when there are too many 'likes' or 'you knows'.  I was listening to a guest interview on NPR awhile ago; the person was apparently a professional on what the topic was.  I felt such embarrasment for the guest as every other word was 'like'.  The topic was of my interest, however, I had to turn it off because it was so annoying that I didn't have the patience to listen to it.

Edited by bequialife
  • Like 4

I'll add a few to the silver fox list:  Olympic swimmer Mark Spitz- super hot in the 70's Olympic footage and a silver fox hunk now! Also, as a little girl watching The Price Is Right in the 90's I will admit that I definitely had a crush on Bob Barker- oh and I'll also add George Hamilton 😙.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

When I think of an older man I think of James Garner... even as a child when we watched Rockford Files I could see he was handsome. 😘

James Garner has been fine every since his "Maverick" days!!!  And aged like the finest wine ever!  BTW, I loved seeing James Garner and Tom Selleck in those Rockford Files episodes.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I'll add a few to the silver fox list:  Olympic swimmer Mark Spitz- super hot in the 70's Olympic footage and a silver fox hunk now! Also, as a little girl watching The Price Is Right in the 90's I will admit that I definitely had a crush on Bob Barker- oh and I'll also add George Hamilton 😙.

Hey Hip-to-be-Square, the fire emoji you used earlier is a positive, right?

Mark Spitz is a welcome addition!  Since you went to the Olympics, I will admit to being warm for Bruce Jenner's form in 1976.  Yul Brynner could eat crackers in my bed any old time.

How did we miss Charlton Heston?  Hell, I would even supply the crackers!!!

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

Hey Hip-to-be-Square, the fire emoji you used earlier is a positive, right?

Mark Spitz is a welcome addition!  Since you went to the Olympics, I will admit to being warm for Bruce Jenner's form in 1976.  Yul Brynner could eat crackers in my bed any old time.

How did we miss Charlton Heston?  Hell, I would even supply the crackers!!!

Yes indeed, @MsVixen, whenever I put a fire 🔥 emoji in response to a comment, it is positive, and it means "yes, that man is hot 🥰🔥" or "you go girl! I love the comment"- or as the tik-tok kids say "that's fire" which I found out through a google search means "awesome or cool" 🙂.   

Yes!! Yul Brynner, Bruce Jenner's 1976 physique and Charlton Heston- all very handsome hunks.  And a few ladies have mentioned him so far already, but Tom Selleck in Magnum PI in his 30's and now- such a hunk and when I had very bad Covid, I had a romantic fever dream of resting my head on 80's era Tom Selleck's chest hair while he pet my hair 😅🌹

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 8
29 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Yes indeed, @MsVixen, whenever I put a fire 🔥 emoji in response to a comment, it is positive, and it means "yes, that man is hot 🥰🔥" or "you go girl! I love the comment"- or as the tik-tok kids say "that's fire" which I found out through a google search means "awesome or cool" 🙂.   

Yes!! Yul Brynner, Bruce Jenner's 1976 physique and Charlton Heston- all very handsome hunks.  And a few ladies have mentioned him so far already, but Tom Selleck in Magnum PI in his 30's and now- such a hunk and when I had very bad Covid, I had a romantic fever dream of resting my head on 80's era Tom Selleck's chest hair while he pet my hair 😅🌹

Tom Selleck AND Sam Elliott are on the list of ETERNALLY GORGEOUS!!!  They can get chunky and I will still DROOL!!!  
And thank you for the Fire emoji!  You are all right, Girlfriend!
I saw a picture of Burt Bacharach a few days ago and he might have a spot on the list.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

Tom Selleck AND Sam Elliott are on the list of ETERNALLY GORGEOUS!!!  They can get chunky and I will still DROOL!!!  
And thank you for the Fire emoji!  You are all right, Girlfriend!
I saw a picture of Burt Bacharach a few days ago and he might have a spot on the list.

You're very welcome for the fire emoji and thank you for the heart emoji, girlfriend! I totally agree about Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot being eternally gorgeous- chunky or trim, younger or older 🔥🌹🥰!  Burt Bacharach definitely deserves a spot on the Silver Fox hunk list.  I'll also add Jeff Bridges, Pierce Brosnan, Don Johnson, and last but not least- Timothy Dalton who can leave his socks on the floor, not remember our anniversary AND leave dirty plates in the sink if he were my man 😄

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2

Count me in with those that can't tell Leslie and Faith apart.  Leslie is the one who claims she dated Prince, correct? Sure, Jan.  Me too.  And was Faith the one who rode in on the motorcycle? 

I like Ellen.  I'm rooting for her.  I think it's absolutely ridiculous that she's falling in love with a man she's probably had one extended conversation with but that's what we're dealing with here!  Is she the one who had the best friend who passed away from cancer?

Whoever called Theresa "busted up Melissa Gilbert" I bow down to you!!  Ha, ha!!  I'm just not picking up that Theresa is malicious.  I think she's a simpering fool who talks too much.  She's the type who you'll know her entire life story and she'll never ask you a single question about yourself.  Which I find the highest level of rudeness and I just don't understand how people can be that way.  

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
24 minutes ago, Vivigirl10 said:

Count me in with those that can't tell Leslie and Faith apart. 

Leslie's hair tends to cry out for a hairbrush a little more than Faith's, but it's a subtle difference.

Leslie is the one who claims she dated Prince, correct? Sure, Jan.  Me too. 

She knew him when she was in her late teens, early 20s, I gather.  The extent of the relationship isn't clear, and there's no proof he wrote Sexy Dancer about her, but there's a cute photo floating around of her infant son in Prince's studio.

And was Faith the one who rode in on the motorcycle? 

Yes.  (I have kept the motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license all these years because you never know, right?  Also, it makes my license classification scatological BM instead of boring old B.)

I like Ellen. ... Is she the one who had the best friend who passed away from cancer?

Yes.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I have no trouble believing Leslie dated Prince, or that she's a professional dancer.  It's just all in how you define dated and dancer.

This is the most beautiful subtle shade I have seen in many moons - well done!

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 5

Forgive my Senior Moment, but when will the show end?  I ask because he is eliminating 2 or 3 women at a time.

In the first episode, there was a woman with Beautiful Silver long hair (or it might have been very light blonde).  Is she still in the running?

• Like 1
On 10/19/2023 at 8:16 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Theresa received the final rose as a warning. Gerry sees the disingenuousness, thanks to Kathy. 

I thought that Theresa received the final rose because the producers wanted us to think that she was getting let go in accord with usual bachelor practice.  I don't think it had to do with Gerry seeing through her.

• Like 12
1 hour ago, MsVixen said:

Forgive my Senior Moment, but when will the show end?  I ask because he is eliminating 2 or 3 women at a time.

In the first episode, there was a woman with Beautiful Silver long hair (or it might have been very light blonde).  Is she still in the running?

8 episodes in total. This week’s episode is #5. 

• Like 3
On 10/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, ichbin said:

My aunt used to liken herself to the illustration of the evolution of humans because it took several steps after getting up before she was able to walk upright.

I like to sit on the living room carpet to stretch out my legs after sitting in a desk chair all day. Getting up off the floor, however, is another matter, and at 60 years old, it's not going to get any easier. Last year I started amusing myself by doing a triumphant gymnast 'sticking the landing' flourish after I've gotten up! This year I added it to times when I effortlessly get up out of a chair. Makes me laugh and that's all that matters!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5

i have watched the bachelor/ette off and on for years.   I have not watched any recent ones.  I think the last one might have been the one who came from the virgin's season.   Hannah Brown, I think.   So it's been a minute since I have paid attention to this.  

I am enjoying this season.   I really hope they do a golden bachelorette.   I would vote for Edith because like most of you,    I thought she was stunning.   But i know that does not always make the best lead for a show.   And i don't feel like we got to know her much.   

Well if they have a golden bachelorette, I'll be watching, no matter who it is.   

i do not miss a lot of things that are on the younger versions.   I remember  so much crying.  and the false eyelashes and mascara and trying to dry the tears without smudging, with the fingernail talons so many of them had.    I know there has been crying on this show too but it has seemed more genuine.   Or for reasons that are a lot more real life, than the younger set who would cry because someone didn't put themselves out there, or they did put themselves out there and it did not work out like they hoped.   

Oh the golden bachelorettes wear all the make up and have the manicures too but i don't think i have seen them wipe a tear while carefully trying not to gouge their eye out.   lol   

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 10/23/2023 at 8:10 PM, Crashcourse said:

I have to add Richard Gere to the silver fox list.

Me too! I also like Liam Neeson.

I've noticed the difference in the names for the women on this show vs. regular Bachelor. They're mostly your basic names that are reflective of when they were born: Nancy, Theresa, Kathy, Edith, Ellen, Sandra, Susan, Joan... no Brittany, Kayla, Amber, Kylie, Hailey, etc. And no weird spelling! 

I liked Theresa at first but am now seeing what Kathy was talking about, although I don't like Kathy and am glad she's gone. 

There is a sadness in Leslie that is coming through for me. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 10
2 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Me too! I also like Liam Neeson

I've noticed the difference in the names for the women on this show vs. regular Bachelor. They're mostly your basic names that are reflective of when they were born: Nancy, Theresa, Kathy, Edith, Ellen, Sandra, Susan, Joan... no Brittany, Kayla, Amber, Kylie, Hailey, etc. And no weird spelling! 

I liked Theresa at first but am now seeing what Kathy was talking about, although I don't like Kathy and am glad she's gone. 

99% of the annoyance calls I get are looking for "Linda." They seem to think there are a lot of befuddled old ladies out there with that name who will fall for their scams.

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
4 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I agree, that is why I said that I feel she wants to be taken seriously and probably didn't have an easy past. Maybe this would work for her if she is the one? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, mishap said:

i do not miss a lot of things that are on the younger versions.   I remember  so much crying.  and the false eyelashes and mascara and trying to dry the tears without smudging, with the fingernail talons so many of them had.    I know there has been crying on this show too but it has seemed more genuine.   Or for reasons that are a lot more real life, than the younger set who would cry because someone didn't put themselves out there, or they did put themselves out there and it did not work out like they hoped.   

Oh the golden bachelorettes wear all the make up and have the manicures too but i don't think i have seen them wipe a tear while carefully trying not to gouge their eye out.   lol   

And the constant hair petting to check that their extensions are still there/laying right, etc, that's my number 1 peeve about the women on the younger show.

The ladies obviously take care with their appearance, but it's more subtle and less irritating.

I enjoyed the pickle ball date, far less tacky than the strip dodgeball and other crap they do on the regular show. and I thought Kathy must be a regular pickleball player, she just doesn't talk about it like Ellen does, she played very well.

But I'm not surprised she went home, Gerry didn't seem to like her much and that was the closest I've seen him get to being angry when he talked to her about Theresa. 

• Like 10

It just dawned on me, as much as I was expecting botox and fillers, and fake or enhanced anything, from teeth to boobs to hair, there was probably as much or more on the seasons with the younger people.  Lol

That kind of stuff is not for me but I don't care what others want to do.  I might not like it but its none of my business.  Lol

I am excited to see who is going on the hometown dates.  

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

99% of the annoyance calls I get are looking for "Linda." They seem to think there are a lot of befuddled old ladies out there with that name who will fall for their scams.

Imagine if your name was Karen.....................

I am not a fan of Theresa or her awful lipstick and I cannot tell Faith and Leslie apart. I think one rode a motorcycle and the other one frets every week during the rose ceremony, but am willing to admit these could be the same person.  I really liked Sandra last week (she is stunning for 75!) and if she and her daughter are both ok with her missing the wedding, then I have no opinion, but I did find it rather ridiculous that she ate the ice cream if she knew she was going to get sick.  I'm sure they could have come up with something else for her.

I also thought it was hilarious that when I Googled to see the contestants' names, I picked the first site to come up (Cosmopolitan, which I haven't read for 25 years) and the 'fun fact' about Susan is that she dreams of having lunch with Kris Jenner.  I'm guessing we're not the first ones to notice the resemblance.

• Like 7
  • LOL 6
15 hours ago, mishap said:

i do not miss a lot of things that are on the younger versions.   I remember  so much crying.  and the false eyelashes and mascara and trying to dry the tears without smudging, with the fingernail talons so many of them had

That bothers me, too.  I'm cowering in my recliner with my pillow over my face when they get those talons next to their eyes. 

One of the worst for doing that was Victoria Fuller who seemed to spend her entire season crying and sticking her long white fingernails in her eyes.

victoriafuller-1664291869486.jpg

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

That bothers me, too.  I'm cowering in my recliner with my pillow over my face when they get those talons next to their eyes. 

One of the worst for doing that was Victoria Fuller who seemed to spend her entire season crying and sticking her long white fingernails in her eyes.

victoriafuller-1664291869486.jpg

Plus there are some serious filters going on in that shot.

• Like 5

I’m very curious to see what type of woman he will pick.  Someone like Lesley who’s not shy and seems like a firecracker, or someone more demure who’s the quiet type.  Or, Teresa, who’s all over him every minute with adoration.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I’m very curious to see what type of woman he will pick.  Someone like Lesley who’s not shy and seems like a firecracker, or someone more demure who’s the quiet type.  Or, Teresa, who’s all over him every minute with adoration.

I think it's Ellen who's all over him declaring her love, etc. He may write her off as a clinger.

• Like 4

The show is preempted in parts of the US because of football, but the show goes on…on time, in Canada.  

eta because the preemption may just be inWestern New York. 

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 3

“The younger generation doesn’t appreciate hop scotch.” This is the best you’ve got?!?

Just now, DEL901 said:

The show is preempted in the US because of football, but the show goes on…on time, in Canada.  

I have it on here in New Jersey. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Mine got interrupted just at the beginning, why was Leslie crying to Gerry? 

Yeah, that was a weird jump directly into that scene. But I assume it was a preview of the episode’s big dramatic moment. Stay tuned.

• Useful 3