Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yay for Larissa!  I vaguely remembered her and Leonard, so started out rooting for either one of them, but after that killer first round performance, I was all in for her.

I ran homophones and got all but one in tests, but it was not a good first round for me -- I missed a whopping four in cinema, three each in characters and transportation and two in firsts.

I got all but one in TV, but DJ wasn't my round, either -- I missed three each in nose, TV, and elements and two each in the rest.

I capped it off by not getting FJ, so tonight was just not my night.  It was a stressful day, so I'll blame that.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
59 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Me too. I just looked them up - and man, that song has a TON of lyrics I never once registered.

Ice ice baby lyrics

I was unable to think of any lyrics other than "under pressure" which aren't even in this song.

I also could not think of the name of the Alan Turing movie even though I saw it with my mother and she brings it up all the time whenever she is struggling with her crossword puzzle.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I didn't know it but I was just unburdened by knowledge enough to reason that Ulysses was the only thing stylistically notable enough to consider. If I had known too much I probably would have been overwhelmed by all kind of experimental possibilities.

I was cheering for Larissa, so yay!

I had absolutely no clue.  Never read anything by Joyce.  Or by Woolf, for that matter.

I enjoyed the game but am glad Larissa won even though I liked all the contestants.

10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I remembered Larissa but I was certain she was blonde. Looking at photos from her previous games, though, apparently she was never blonde. My brain! My brain!

I remember her original games and her appearance on the Jeopardy All-Stars tournament as part of Brad's brilliant team.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I had absolutely no clue.  Never read anything by Joyce.  Or by Woolf, for that matter.

I read Woolf's "A Room of One's Own" in college; I was not inspired to read any more of her. Never read Ulysses but my British Lit professor showed us the last few pages one day just for the hell of it. The last sentence is a bit over 4000 words. I'm glad she didn't make us read it. So it was an educated guess for me.

• Like 1

I spoil myself every day. I didn't get FJ. I was watching Rick Steves in Dublin before J! aired, and he was talking about Joyce and Ulysses. That was spooky weird.

I was holding my breath that they took so long to recognize the theme song to The Lone Ranger. Made me feel old. 

• Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was unable to think of any lyrics other than "under pressure" which aren't even in this song.

For good reason.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

All I'm going to say is at least it wasn't the Edmund Fitzgerald.

But I would have been able to answer questions about those lyrics!

• Like 2
  • Fire 3
  • LOL 4
(edited)

This comic was up in XKCD today. I posted it in Small Talk first, because I didn't see the previous posts. But now it's relevant here! 😆

the_wreck_of_the_edmund_fitzgerald.png

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Angry 1
  • LOL 11

March 22: (9,000th game!)

63% / 47% / 55%

In J I ran Time for Dessert, missed one in Nonfiction and Words in Invitational, two in Turning 60 in 2024 and The Lyrical Stylings of Johnny Gilbert, and all five in Electoral College (should have at least guessed Trump but I was not thinking that recent). In DJ I ran Time for Desert, missed two in "House" of Entertainment, three in The Old Testament and National Women's Hall of Fame, and four in Italian Words & Phrases and Composers.

But I got FJ after thinking a few seconds.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 1) I got Rod Stewart (feeling old along with Ken, who is only a year and a half older than me); very annoyed with myself because I just could not pull Violent Femmes out of my brain; I've even seen them play it live, when I saw them open for Barenaked Ladies.

I didn't remember Terry but she seemed vaguely familiar after Ken mentioned she was in a college tournament. I felt bad for her misreading the FJ clue, but at least there was no way it would change where she finished either way (unless one of the guys made a really stupid wager), since she couldn't catch Alan and Alan couldn't catch Matt.

The little  9000th episode tribute to Johnny at the end was the best. (That was a cake?!)

• Like 7

I got final.  Which is good because the rest of my game sucked.

I got the entire categories of Johnny Gilbert, dessert (oddly enough, I have such a  sweet tooth) and Italian wrong.

I almost got all of the OT, but I missed the $400 clue.  So frustrating to get all the higher clues and miss the so-called easiest one.

• Like 2

Woo hoo!  I actually got FJ!  It was not an instaget, but I got it!  

And I got the TS of Rod Stewart (feeling old right along with you, Ken), and testarossa.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Matt is the only one of today's contestants I remembered (he'd be pretty hard to forget).  I vaguely recognized Terry, but if you'd just shown me a picture and asked where I knew her from, I'd have had no idea.  If she'd had a chance of winning, she'd be kicking herself for life over not paying attention to the wording in FJ.

Another dominant game for Matt.  I was impressed he was able to laughingly agree with Ken that Johnny Gilbert's rendition of "All the Small Things" is the definitive version, as he's usually so in the zone host chatter is a distraction to be ignored.

I ran 60, dessert, and Johnny Gilbert's entertaining category and got all but one in electoral college, so if not for nonfiction - which is usually a good category for me - in which I missed three, I'd have had a good first round, missing two in invitational.

Thanks to Bob Marley, I got one Old Testament clue, but that was it.  Unfortunately, that was not my only bad category in DJ; I missed three each in composers and Italian.  I got all but one in women and desert, but didn't run anything.  I missed two in house.

FJ was an instaget (well, an instaguess I figured was correct), though, so I ended on a high note.

Cute little segment at the end honoring Johnny Gilbert; I like the audience giving him a "This.Is.Jeopardy" in unison.  And I'm always amused by "That's a cake?!" reactions, probably because I avoid shows about creating them (and am not on social media to see most memes), so I'm not inundated with them.

• Like 3

In a shocking development--well, to me, anyway 😄--Matt Jackson didn't bother me at all tonight. He seemed more relaxed, less tightly-wound than in his earlier appearances. I was only half-listening to the interviews, but it seemed that he had a career change? If so, it seems to have changed him for the better. 👏 I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd be rooting for him, there are several others in the tournament that I'd prefer, but if Matt were to win, I wouldn't be shouting obscenities at my screen the way I was the other day when Yogesh won!

• Like 5

I loved Matt's lavender shirt and black jacket combo.

Enjoyed Alan's story about meeting his partner at a Jeopardy! event.

I didn't remember anyone, and had no opinions about personalities, nor any rooting interests, 

9,000 episodes is something! And no absences for Johnny Gilbert in 40 years!!!!!

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Heh...you guys posted this and then a little while later YouTube served me up a video of someone reacting to hearing the song for the first time.

I couldn't get through it. It's nice that she's not afraid to expose her ignorance, but, jeez, she doesn't know what a gale is?

And in another instance of synchronicity, today's Mini Crossword in the NYTimes had "ROSETTA" as an answer. LOL.

Matt still annoys me.

• Like 4

I don't remember Matt from his previous appearances, so I don't know what he did that annoyed people, but I thought it was cool that he wants to use his training to help non-profits. That's not a way to get rich. It didn't sound like he was talking about consulting to the big ones who might have some cash to spread around to consultants, or maybe I'm just an optimist influenced by his lavender and black ensemble.

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And in another instance of synchronicity, today's Mini Crossword in the NYTimes had "ROSETTA" as an answer. LOL.

Yes:  nytimes.com/crosswords/game/mini
947822ED-FDD0-4B85-AE8C-44756F472AC6.thumb.jpeg.3a403d6dde4e68a17a0152431c2fc72a.jpeg

I wonder if it had been the Friday Mini instead of Saturday’s, if I might have pulled the Friday FJ rabbit out of my hat/brain? Probably not, because I was not familiar with the facts that comprised the clue:
j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8851
658C2D16-139E-457B-A0E2-7B8B79FC016E.jpeg.6dd85eb492215b8941620109b06cb3e7.jpeg

(see responses

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And I got the TS of Rod Stewart (feeling old right along with you, Ken)

Ditto.  I love Rod Stewart.

I did get FJ, my first in a couple of weeks.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I was skimming the comments on the reddit recap thread to see if I could find any mention of why Matt wagered $121 (when he didn't need to bet anything). Didn't find an answer, but I did see a comment pointing out that this game is numbered 9065, not 9000 (which I hadn't noticed). Someone replied that 13 weeks (65 episodes) of repeats between season 1 & 2 were given new episode numbers when they reaired, for some reason, hence the discrepancy.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3

I remembered both Matt and Alan. We liked Matt and were glad to see him again. I really like Alan, he makes the grandmotherly side of me come out (not a grandmother). He still seems like he's so young.

Did not get rossetta stone. I was thrown by the word "captured" to me that's more like military equipment, not a stone. The mister got it right off - not knowing anything at all about the rosetta stone, but just because he'd heard the two words together. Sigh...

• Hugs 2

My husband got FJ quickly. I didn't, and I saw the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum. In my defense, I wasn't feeling well that day. Yeah, that's the ticket. 😄

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I’m pre-empted for March Madness and it’s the only channel I can’t DVR. You all are my lifeline! 

I am also pre-empted. I missed Thursdays game entirely but was able to find Friday’s on YouTube. Minus the cake celebration, of course. ☹️

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was skimming the comments on the reddit recap thread to see if I could find any mention of why Matt wagered $121 (when he didn't need to bet anything).

He did that during his initial run, wagering seemingly random numbers when he had a lock game.  I figure they're numbers that mean something to him, or the numbers his final score will be if he gets it right mean something to him.

• Like 3

I wonder if, in markets where the show is pre-empted, your station is airing them at some odd time, like in the middle of the night or something? That happened here a few times. I contacted my local station to ask them and they told me when to find the show.

We're not pre-empted here right now, though. J! airs here at 7:30pm on NBC. I guess that frees us from the basketball stuff.

Where I used to live, the station finally started airing "preempted" Jeopardy shows at the usual time, but on their other channel that usually airs sitcom reruns.  I forget why they made this improvement: the polite letters, the less polite letters, or the torches.

• Fire 2
  • LOL 6
5 minutes ago, Driad said:

Where I used to live, the station finally started airing "preempted" Jeopardy shows at the usual time, but on their other channel that usually airs sitcom reruns.  I forget why they made this improvement: the polite letters, the less polite letters, or the torches.

Mine used to have an alternate channel but the last few times it got preempted it wasn't on there, either, so I guess maybe they don't do that anymore. Luckily March Madness has not taken hold of my Jeopardy (it's on at 7:00 on ABC here).

• Like 3
On 3/22/2024 at 11:36 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:
On 3/22/2024 at 10:25 AM, Clanstarling said:

Me too. I just looked them up - and man, that song has a TON of lyrics I never once registered.

Ice ice baby lyrics

Don't look at me -- all I can think of when I hear it is Jim Carrey doing "White White Baby" on In Living Color!

I ain't stupid - I just dupe it!

• LOL 3
On 3/22/2024 at 8:01 PM, PaulaO said:

Forgot how annoying I found Matt.  I wish Alan, who has not aged since 2017, had won.  I had no memory of Terry.

My biggest objection to Matt is that he looks like a serial killer.  That smile during the intros screamed "Let's kill Batman".  But at least he isn't Yogesh.  (Yes, I now have a really low bar for tolerable contestants.)

On 3/22/2024 at 8:04 PM, Browncoat said:

Woo hoo!  I actually got FJ!  It was not an instaget, but I got it!  

And I got the TS of Rod Stewart (feeling old right along with you, Ken), and testarossa.

Me, too.  Apparently dinosaurs walked the earth when I was a child.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:10 PM, possibilities said:

I wonder if, in markets where the show is pre-empted, your station is airing them at some odd time, like in the middle of the night or something?

Fox 45 usually does but there was one a couple of weeks ago where they didn't for some reason.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:19 PM, Driad said:

Fortunately the local NBC channel isn't the one which runs Jeopardy because I can't get METV on my satellite.

• Like 2

March 25:

50% / 43% / 46%

A solid first half…as in, I got half. Missed one in Answer Twice, two in Name That Toon, and three in everything else.

And then…well. In DJ I missed two in Marine Biology, Five Guys, and Latin, three in Iamb a Poet, and four in Panhandle States and Grammy's (I knew a couple others but just couldn't pull them out of my head in time).

No FJ for me.

TSes: (J had 2; DJ had 3 + 1 DD... plus FJ!) I only got Sam Altman.

Austin grew on me during his run and now I have to root for him. He made a couple dumb mistakes in the first round, though. And then Amy got on a roll in DJ. Good for her.

Yeah, sorry Ken, really not feeling "Jit"...

• Like 4

I got FJ.  And since none of those supersmart contestants did, by the transitory nature of Jeopardy, I have beat everybody.

I got the missed clues of Mamma Mia and sunfish.  This is the best game I've had in a while, but that's not saying much.  I did end in the black.  But, only because FJ is worth $10K regardless of what went before.

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 4

As usual, I did not get FJ tonight.  Obvious once Ken told me what it was, but I'm not sure I would have ever thought of it.

I did at least get the TS of Mamma Mia, sunfish, and Glacier Bay.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  And since none of those supersmart contestants did, by the transitory nature of Jeopardy, I have beat everybody.

I don't suppose there's any mathematical property that would bequeath some consolation prize upon  me for briefly considering Capone for FJ but deciding: "Nah. Can't be. No French Connection"?

Amy did not disappoint. 

The bar owner, mixologist, and author, Austin Rogers, should at least get a prize for his hair

I'm glad the former champ, Celeste DiNucci, who beat Watson at least got to participate in FJ.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Like 10

I'm not going to be home tonight, which works out well as I have no desire to watch Austin, so I just checked the archive.  I had no idea for FJ, did not get a single clue in Five Guys, and only came up with one each in toons, marine biology, and Holy Roman Empire.  I ran drinks, twice, Latin, Grammys and got all but one in backwards, but missed two or three in all the rest.

I don't remember Celeste, but probably still would have been rooting for Amy if I did, as she's one of my favorites.  I'm glad she had a great game and look forward to watching her in the semifinals.

• Like 4

I instantly knew "scarface" was the nickname being referenced but could not, for the life of me, dredge the name Al Capone from my brain. I could have written a paragraph on the man, but could not get the name out. In high school we did a trip to Chicago that included a gangster/crime tour, and I got a hair comb that was styled as a pocket knife.

Will leave it up to our FJ contest judge @Clanstarling if "scarface" is sufficient, though I don't think they would have accepted the nickname on the show.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I instantly knew "scarface" was the nickname being referenced but could not, for the life of me, dredge the name Al Capone from my brain.

For me it went sort of like, a notorious figure with a wound- could it be 'scarface'? Was Al Capone at the right time? Capone-20s-WWI-1918, I think it fits. Al Capone! Yay!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
48 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

For me it went sort of like, a notorious figure with a wound- could it be 'scarface'? Was Al Capone at the right time? Capone-20s-WWI-1918, I think it fits. Al Capone! Yay!

I don't think I knew that Al Capone had the nickname Scarface. I thought of the Al Pacino movie which I have never seen and gave up on trying to think of the name of that character. 

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't suppose there's any mathematical property that would bequeath some consolation prize upon for me for briefly considering Capone for FJ but deciding: "Nah. Can't be. No French Connection"?

Well of course not, it was a lie. 😀

I would have guessed sunfish even though the fish I knew as sunfish were little and we used to throw them back when we caught them.

I was surprised no one came up with Mamma Mia.

Very glad to see Amy cruise to victory, especially with such good Latin. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
3 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't think I knew that Al Capone had the nickname Scarface.

I grew up in and around Chicago, I think a lot, if not most, people around here know about Capone/Scarface

• Like 4

How in the world did all three of these champs not know FJ!? It was so easy! I immediately thought wound+nickname-> Scarface->Al Capone and spent the rest of the 30 seconds trying to figure out what the trick was because surely it couldn’t be that obvious.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not going to be home tonight, which works out well as I have no desire to watch Austin, so I just checked the archive.  I had no idea for FJ, did not get a single clue in Five Guys, and only came up with one each in toons, marine biology, and Holy Roman Empire.  I ran drinks, twice, Latin, Grammys and got all but one in backwards, but missed two or three in all the rest.

I don't remember Celeste, but probably still would have been rooting for Amy if I did, as she's one of my favorites.  I'm glad she had a great game and look forward to watching her in the semifinals.

I'm so happy Amy beat Austin who I can't stand. I think Celeste struggled with the buzzer and I'll be interested to see how Chuck Forrest does.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

How in the world did all three of these champs not know FJ!? It was so easy! I immediately thought wound+nickname-> Scarface->Al Capone and spent the rest of the 30 seconds trying to figure out what the trick was because surely it couldn’t be that obvious.

I sit in wait of an “it’s easy if you know it” FJ!

11 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I'm so happy Amy beat Austin who I can't stand. I think Celeste struggled with the buzzer and I'll be interested to see how Chuck Forrest does.

I remember Austin as being in my top very small number of most annoying players, but honestly if I had been able to put that out of my mind, he would’ve been fine today. 

• Like 8