Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Praje bringing in voodoo as a religion for a dress. Would it be okay to send an elegant nun outfit down the runway?

There was that Met exhibition a few years ago that was ecclesiastical, and there were a few Dolce and Armani outfits that were definitely elegant nun outfits.

• Like 4
  • Useful 5
19 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I, too, didn't understand why they insisted on having the runway outside no matter what the weather would be.  Just move it indoors.

This was very reminiscent of that awful Heidi Klum/Tim Gunn show on Amazon. They were constantly doing the runway shows in the evening or at night, no matter the weather or lighting conditions. It was dumb. Often, we couldn't really even see the designs.*

*Lightbulb moment - Maybe this was intentional, as I can't recall anything of note coming out of that mess of a show.

• Like 2
  • LOL 14
57 minutes ago, rlc said:

although I had a good laugh every time they showed Nina removing her sunglasses

It looked like the floodlights were right in their faces, which is *perhaps* why they were wearing sunglasses. It looked like Brandon was shielding his eyes at one point.

58 minutes ago, rlc said:

Apparently I'm alone in this, but I liked Koto's look and understood why she upset to be safe

I thought the fabric she chose was doing all the work.

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, rlc said:

I'm not personally a fan of all the sheer dresses we see these days, but Bishme deserved the win (and I simply adore him as a person).

I love him too.  Remember when he was sad and wanted to go home?  I'm SO happy he worked through his blues and stayed because he's a joy to watch and I love how his confidence just continues to blossom.

Sigh.  Christian tried to tell Kara Saun but she was determined to hold fast to her vision, bless her heart.  The feathers.  The train.  The unicorn colors.  As shady Christian said, "It's a look."  I usually don't mind extravagant but the fairy godmother look was too much for me in the high-fashion sense.  I hope she uses it for her non-profit anyway.  Such a worthy cause.

I liked the idea of Prajje's more than I did the execution.  I agreed with the judges about the proportions not being quite right, especially on top.  

I know that Prajje didn't event that cross halter but it was strange to see Brittany crank out an outfit so similar to his 90's challenge look.  I don't think she did it intentionally though.  That athletic ware is definitely her lane. 

• Like 16

RE: The park. I was waiting for a model to slip, fall, and break an ankle or leg. The sunglasses — never miss a chance to be mysterious and dramatic, no matter how silly you look. Same with “compliments” that come off as ridiculous fawning (looking at you, Elaine).

• Like 9
  • LOL 6

Love Kara Saun- but she deserved to go home. Agree with sourpuss Korto- it was a Freedom Challenge, all of it is so subjective.

On a mean note-Nina is (finally) showing her age. The work done on her face-meh. She still looks super, but hope she doesn't go too far on anti-aging.

On a nice note- everyone booted lately has been total class acts in their farewell. Glad to read Kara Saun has a great job. No doubt the last 20 years of costume design have shifted her point of view.

• Like 11

How are you supposed to see the runway in the dark? With a floodlight shining directly in your face? There's no way the judges could actually see those designs in real time. That's why they kept commenting that it looked good from far away. I couldn't even really see the designs myself on tv! If you are going to have an outdoor runway, please do it in the daytime next time. Please and thank you!

• Like 13
  • Applause 8
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, DeeReynolds said:

If you are going to have an outdoor runway, please do it in the daytime next time. Please and thank you!

what was all that about Brandon dragging himself out of bed for this? Was it at 2 in the morning?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
15 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

How is a basic cross halter top stealing someone’s look - that is so basic.

I was thinking the same thing and so was Shein.  Plus I swear I used to take a scarf and create my own criss cross halter when I was in high school.  🤣🤣🤣

20230811_131214.jpg

• Like 16
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Korto needs to shut up. 

Agree!!!  She is so full of herself this season.  I think her divorce has turned her into a bitter woman.  She definitely has delusions of grandeur.  I haven't really liked very many of her designs this season.  Her heavy robes look hot and cumbersome to me.  I'm not into that look at all.

• Like 20
14 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I liked Nina's comment to Laurence after Laurence spoke about her past. Nina acknowledged the tragedy of Laurence's past but spoke on how it contributed to Laurence's success as a designer, without being patronizing about it.

Yes but the thing is, Laurence isn't the only 16 year old girl to become pregnant and have a child. She said she didn't stop going to school so she made it through, whi h is awesome. But instead of using her success to fuel her creativity and be happy about how much she's accomplished, instead she's constantly a sour puss. 

Qas Korto this much if a bitch in her season? I don't remember he being like this before. 

I hope Rami wins. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, T Summer said:

Kara Saun should go, but I doubt it will happen

They've kept her safe after so many dubious designs. But, she was up against another "favorite" (Elaine's own words!) Prajje, so this was the time.  She seems to design elaborate, costumey looks and she definitely stays true to herself (her own style reflects this), but it's often too much in this fashion competition.  She has the perfect career for her aesthetic and I wish her well.  She seemed to be one of the designers with the best outlook.

• Like 13
11 hours ago, Blueboxes said:

Kara Saun.....Christian tried SO HARD to help her but she was completely incapable of taking a step back to actually see what her creation looked like. 

Kara Saun just couldn't get out of her costume designer head and back into her fashion designer head.  Didn't she have the most winning looks (not counting her fashion line at the end) in her season?  She's very stubborn when it comes to advice.  I remember the big brouhaha with her model's shoes that she had someone outside of the competition provide when they were only supposed to use shoes provided by the show.  She kept trying to argue that she paid for the shoes with her own money and wouldn't accept that it was against the rules.  She was very defiant when it came to accepting anyone else's suggestions and that is why she got the heeve ho this season!  Stubborn defiance!  

• Like 5

What we're seeing when the designer's ignore advice, is the reality that these are people who are established in a job or business already (remember that they're "all stars"), and imo, are only here for marketing, public relations, and exposure for their line. If they happen to pick up some swag & cash in the process, more's the better. 

It's why I'm not as much a fan of the All Stars version of this show. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
30 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

Yes but the thing is, Laurence isn't the only 16 year old girl to become pregnant and have a child. She said she didn't stop going to school so she made it through, whi h is awesome. But instead of using her success to fuel her creativity and be happy about how much she's accomplished, instead she's constantly a sour puss. 

I processed the information about her history as an explanation of why she is guarded and doesn't open up.  I appreciated that Nina recognized this and gave the little speech about her strict side and needing to balance it with a softer side- maybe something Nina sees in herself.  

• Like 19
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

I think the saddest part of her story was that her father disowned her for getting pregnant and he died before they could ever make up.  She said they never spoke again before he passed away.  That's why she was so tearful.

• Like 15
  • Sad 7
4 hours ago, rlc said:

Kara Saun probably should have been gone weeks ago. She's a talented costume designer, and it was nice to see her again, but she makes costumes. Sad to hear about her mother, and it better explained some of the choices she made throughout the season. Interesting that with all the storytelling she did about her designs, this was the first we heard about this (unless I missed something earlier in the season)

The first challenge where they had to remake their losing looks she talked about her mum who I guess she lost recently? She used that turquoise-y blue sheer material she brought and I think she mentioned she was making something her glamorous mother Barbara  would wear.

I liked Kara Saun this season, she seemed to have grown since season 1 where she didn't come off well. Shoe-gate and all.

As soon as the challenge was issued I remember thinking she should switch it up and   make something darker and more pared down... something unexpected  by  the judges so they didn't write her off as doing very similar looks each time. It wasn't a slam against Kara Saun.

I actually thought  the dress minus the jacket was alright.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Thumper said:

Well I liked Prajje’s green outfit.  It looked really cool on the rainy runway when the light hit it.

I think Prajje's big mistake was adopting Bishme's Micky Mouse big sleeves that the judges are just over it already.  And I agree with the judges that he should have incorporated the snake into the top that was just too plain and bulky looking.

Bishme's is the only design that actually matched his sketch.  🤣

It's funny to me that Rami was so worried about the rain staining the silk of his dress and then his model is the only one who closed her umbrella on the runway!  🤣

Edited by swankie
Added a thought.
  • Like 16
2 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Qas Korto this much if a bitch in her season? I don't remember he being like this before. 

I hope Rami wins. 

IIRC, she was basically all business. I have her season on DVD, so I’ll have to rewatch.

Frankly (and if this sounds bad, I’m sorry) I’m getting a little tired of the hard luck stories. Never used to hear them on the runway to the extent we are now — those were typically in THs, or in Tim’s finalist home visits. When they’re told on the runway, it smacks too much of trying to compensate for design flaws, or to curry judge sympathy. I don’t find most of them relevant to what’s going on at that particular moment. Sorry.

Laurance has a snobbish, dismissive vibe about her, which I find very off-putting. I’m not all that impressed by what I’ve seen lately.

1 hour ago, swankie said:

I laughed so hard at this!!!  That's what i thought of too!  🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20230811-151230_YouTube.jpg

When I heard they were emu feathers, I was hoping not to put up with the LiMu Emu ever again — “liberty, liberty, liber-teeeeee.” 🤮

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, DeeReynolds said:

How are you supposed to see the runway in the dark? With a floodlight shining directly in your face? There's no way the judges could actually see those designs in real time. That's why they kept commenting that it looked good from far away. I couldn't even really see the designs myself on tv! If you are going to have an outdoor runway, please do it in the daytime next time. Please and thank you!

My guess is the park wouldn't close for filming during the daytime, so they had to have the filming at night.   I'm just glad that no one fell, and that they were inside during the lightning. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Jumping out of lurking to say that I'm surprised the judges didn't mention Bob Mackie when they saw Kara Saun's design.  Like @T Summer , I love Cher and the dresses that Bob Mackie made for her were amazing. Kara Saun's dress, unfortunately, was not. 

• Like 11

I’m thinking Bisme or Prajiie will win, they are the only ones Elaine likes and she seems to be driving the decisions now for some reason. I liked Bisme’s dress but I could only see it as a Met Gala kind of thing not as a wedding dress. Laurence leather stuff seems dated to me but the judges eat it up. I liked Rami’s dress a lot.

• Like 10
17 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I’m thinking Bisme or Prajiie will win

I think bisme has it- I like Brittany's stuff- she is very "commercial" in a good way but they judges always tend toward weird. Rami's dress was beautiful but I think not weird enough to win this thing.

• Like 10

I was most surprised at how ill-fitting Prajje's was. And he said the waistband problems were intentional? But the top looked like it was made for somone at least three sizes bigger than his model. When he described his look, I was excited to see it because sounded cool (and after reading Zora Neale Hurston's book about voodoo in Haiti I have a much clearer understanding of the religion). But the results were disappointing. Maybe he should have concentrated more on his own garment than making catty, mean girl comments about Brittany.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
7 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I, too, didn't understand why they insisted on having the runway outside no matter what the weather would be.  Just move it indoors.

Or cover the runway. You're in Manhattan, people, somebody will set up a long tarp.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

Someone on Reddit brought up a very good point re: Praje and his copycat beef. A few weeks back, he copied Bishme by adding the numbers on his design. Bishme’s was for his sister, which he used previously, while Praje’s was some political statement about Haiti, all in the same challenge, IIRC.

So STFU, Praje.

My predictions for the rest of the season:

6. Brittany

5. Korto

4. Rami

Final three:

3. Laurance

2. Praje

1.  Bishme

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

I thought the fabric she chose was doing all the work.

Yep--it was a basic black shirt and pants with a beautiful coat--she did great work selecting such a beautiful fabric, but it was the fabric that was so impressive.

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, Dr Mama said:

Yep--it was a basic black shirt and pants with a beautiful coat--she did great work selecting such a beautiful fabric, but it was the fabric that was so impressive.

Exactly what I said when I saw it walk down the runway.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is the park wouldn't close for filming during the daytime, so they had to have the filming at night.   I'm just glad that no one fell, and that they were inside during the lightning. 

I was thinking they had planned to film during daylight but then they tried to wait our the weather (or maybe they had to if there was lightening), and then they finally just went ahead with it after dark.

I don't understand why they didn't change plans when they could actually see what the weather was like.

Edited by Dr Mama
  • Like 12
  • Useful 2

Although we didn't get to see too much of it, I thought Kara Saun's dress (without the jacket) looked pretty impressive, and I could see it on a red carpet. 

At the very least, I wish she'd had the model remove the jacket on the runway so everyone could see the dress underneath, but I thought that her dress was more impressive than Praje's--or most of the others. 

• Like 8
21 hours ago, T Summer said:
21 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

Without the jacket it looked like something Cher would have worn back in the day...

And with the jacket it is almost precisely Elton John circa 1975

21 hours ago, T Summer said:
21 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

Without the jacket it looked like something Cher would have worn back in the day...

And with the jacket it is almost precisely Elton John circa 1975

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
8 minutes ago, Dr Mama said:

Although we didn't get to see too much of it, I thought Kara Saun's dress (without the jacket) looked pretty impressive, and I could see it on a red carpet. 

At the very least, I wish she'd had the model remove the jacket on the runway so everyone could see the dress underneath, but I thought that her dress was more impressive than Praje's--or most of the others. 

I meant to say this, too! That contrasting solid blue on the dress gave it more structure. Definitely less airy-fairy. And well fitting.

• Like 2

Rami’s was…okay. I get Star Trek vibes from so many dresses on this show, I thought a beautiful alien queen could have worn his dress on that show.

Bishme’s was FASHION. I was drawn to it, that skirt looked like chocolate. I could see it at the Met Gala, for sure.

Bye, Kara Saun.  I’m not sure why her personal aesthetic is aqua blue to match her new hair, but, you do you.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Like 10
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Bye, Kara Saun.  It sure why her personal aesthetic is aqua blue to match her new hair, but, you do you.

I thought his last night. I love Kara Saun and enjoyed seeing her again but when they were on her about how she needs to edit I wanted to ask, "have you looked at her? The jewelry, the haircolor, the everything at once?" I think that WAS the edited version, for her.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
5 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

IIRC, she was basically all business. I have her season on DVD, so I’ll have to rewatch.

Frankly (and if this sounds bad, I’m sorry) I’m getting a little tired of the hard luck stories. Never used to hear them on the runway to the extent we are now — those were typically in THs, or in Tim’s finalist home visits. When they’re told on the runway, it smacks too much of trying to compensate for design flaws, or to curry judge sympathy. I don’t find most of them relevant to what’s going on at that particular moment. Sorry.

I remember liking Korto during her season. She seemed humble and like she put her head down and worked and  I couldn't see her sniping about fellow contestants. She blew me away with the coat or coat dress she made out of car seat belts during the unconventional materials challenge!  I liked a lot of her looks in the run up to the finale, but I was a little underwhelmed by her show at fashion week. The clothes were good, but not memorable.

Absolutely...on the sob stories! we keep saying it, but this  show went from frowning upon them to actively soliciting that BS! Why show, WHY?

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, swankie said:

Kara Saun just couldn't get out of her costume designer head and back into her fashion designer head.  Didn't she have the most winning looks (not counting her fashion line at the end) in her season?  She's very stubborn when it comes to advice.  I remember the big brouhaha with her model's shoes that she had someone outside of the competition provide when they were only supposed to use shoes provided by the show.  She kept trying to argue that she paid for the shoes with her own money and wouldn't accept that it was against the rules.  She was very defiant when it came to accepting anyone else's suggestions and that is why she got the heeve ho this season!  Stubborn defiance!  

Actually she didn't pay for the shoes at first. She had a friend who made shoes and he made them to her design for free. That was against the rules because it was an unfair advantage over Jay and Wendy when all three designers had the same budget. Kara had to either not use the shoes or pay for them. So the shoe maker charged her $15/pair which was much less than they were worth. She got to use the shoes after all after paying 15/pair and getting a receipt.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Actually she didn't pay for the shoes at first. She had a friend who made shoes and he made them to her design for free. That was against the rules because it was an unfair advantage over Jay and Wendy when all three designers had the same budget. Kara had to either not use the shoes or pay for them. So the shoe maker charged her $15/pair which was much less than they were worth. She got to use the shoes after all after paying 15/pair and getting a receipt.

She got to use the shoes, but they couldn't be judged as part of the looks. Which was fair since the others had to use shoes provided to them. 

• Like 3
On 8/10/2023 at 7:08 PM, Lamb18 said:

Did Korto say that Brittany's look was something you could find at Target?

Do you mean after they were declared safe and went back to watch? I thought she made a sarcastic comment then while complaining about being told they were too safe, like "yeah sure you can get that at Target". In other words, she was kvetching about the judges, not commenting on anyone else's look.

Meanwhile I didn't like any of the looks in this episode. Rami's wasn't bad and it was well made but the second I saw it I was like "yup, Rami gonna Rami, what else ya got?" Praje's "do whatever you want" challenge was apparently "show us your take on the Haunted Mansion uniforms" challenge. Brittany's was half exactly what I expect from her based on what she said her aesthetic was half Brandon Kee. Kara Saun's needed to be about 10x more ridiculous to go far enough to be interesting instead of a hot mess. The middle third of Bishme's made me not like it. It all kinda boiled down to: you got to do whatever you want, either wow me or crash and burn spectacularly, but nobody did either.

• Like 3

I don’t know what kind of crazy bizarro universe I stepped into because I actually agreed with the judges this week. That makes me question my taste.

The rainy nighttime judging was ridiculous. I could barely see anything. I have to assume it was planned for earlier in the afternoon/evening and they had to wait for the lightning to pass. It did benefit Bishme, though— the flowing train was gorgeous and wouldn’t have happened without that wind.

I thought Bishme’s dress was very creative and original and deserved the win. I also agree that it belongs at a wedding, although not as the bride’s dress. When I first saw it, I thought she looked like a cake topper and the ruffly bottom part was the cake. 

I was worried for Rami, because I thought they would see his dress as the same old draping he always does. And it kind of was, but close up you could see he really elevated it. The contrasting fabrics were really stunning together, and the placement of tucks was perfection, not to mention the unusual sculptural elements. Really beautiful.

I may have misjudged Laurence a little, now that I know more of her backstory. What I was perceiving as a superior attitude may just be inhibition. In any event, I thought her dress was lovely. I’ve never seen leather flow like that.

I don’t think Kara Saun’s problem was making a costume, it was making an ugly costume. The pieces did not go together and it was way too over the top (and not in a good way). I’ve loved her since S1, but this boot was deserved.

Shut up, Prajje. You did not invent the cross-cross bandeau top. Although I did agree with him that pairing the top with the same style pants he made was a bridge too far. (I don’t think she did it intentionally, because why would she, but that proved it lacked innovation so she was lucky to be safe.)  Also, your snake look was ugly.

I can’t even picture what Korto made, which is not a good sign. Get over yourself.

I predict F3 will be Bishme, Laurence and Rami. At least, that’s who I would choose right now.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 8/10/2023 at 10:33 PM, RoseAllDay said:

I like Korto, but I gotta say her sour grapes after being declared safe was off-putting. You survived another week — you are one week closer to the end. How many others would have liked to have said the same?

Annnndddd…she gets bitchy with Christian next week. Methinks she’s not long for the competition.

One can only hope. She’s such a bitter bitch. And Prajje can go right with her. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

I knew it was something like that.  And I remember them telling the judges not to consider her shoes in the judging.  They had to ignore the shoes.  And Wendy Pepper (RIP) was the one who brought it to Tim's attention and Kara Saun thought Jay would back her up, but he sided with Wendy.  I remember her being so hurt by it.  

• Like 4
On 8/12/2023 at 12:21 AM, theatremouse said:

Do you mean after they were declared safe and went back to watch? I thought she made a sarcastic comment then while complaining about being told they were too safe, like "yeah sure you can get that at Target". In other words, she was kvetching about the judges, not commenting on anyone else's look.

She was saying that you can't get her look at Target after that judge said she was playing it safe.  She's such a bad sport and I really hope she doesn't make it to the finale.  I don't know why she has such a bitchy attitude this season.  

Edited by swankie
Punctuation
  • Like 10