Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A bit too long, but still a good speech.  Loved his praises for his sons, even if one of them is apparently a failed rapper.  And Colin thought appearing in the sixth season of Dexter was a good idea.  No one's perfect!

The shot of Henry Winkler though did remind me about their beef and I'm really curious about what the full story is.

Haven't seen 1917, but it certainly looks well-directed enough.  Probably will look great on the big screen.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
Just now, Growsonwalls said:

Really? I knew he was super duper conservative but unlike John Wayne I've never heard "Jimmy Stewart racist" stories again.

He didn't burn any crosses, but he didn't keep it a secret.  I read it in a biography and it was such a disappointment.  He's such a good actor and has been in so many great films.  I've had to work hard to separate the artist from the man.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

This isn't the Oscars, Tom  We don't need a looooong speech. 

For the Cecil B DeMille, they normally block off roughly 15 minutes for it.  As for his speech, it was pretty short compared to a few others.  I felt Denzel Washington's took FOREVER. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

A bit too long, but still a good speech.  Loved his praises for his sons, even if one of them is apparently a failed rapper.  And Colin thought appearing in the sixth season of Dexter was a good idea.  No one's perfect!

The shot of Henry Winkler though did remind me about their beef and I'm really curious about what the full story is.

Haven't seen 1917, but it certainly looks well-directed enough.  Probably will look great on the big screen.

What beef?  Who has a beef with Tom Hanks?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

For the Cecil B DeMille, they normally block off roughly 15 minutes for it.  As for his speech, it was pretty short compared to a few others.  I felt Denzel Washington's took FOREVER. 

And Denzel spent the whole show looking like he hated life, being there, and everyone around him. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, mightysparrow said:

He didn't burn any crosses, but he didn't keep it a secret.  I read it in a biography and it was such a disappointment.  He's such a good actor and has been in so many great films.  I've had to work hard to separate the artist from the man.

Wow. That is disappointing. Although good for Hitchcock (in Vertigo) and Frank Capra (in It's a Wonderful Life) for tapping into his dark side. 

I did read a biography that his friendship with Henry Fonda was mostly Hollywood publicity and the two were pretty distant towards each other.

• Love 1

I’ve never seen the Mulan cartoon (and WTF, self, you have Disney+ so nothing is stopping you) but the live action looks really good.  I’m wondering if it’s because I have no preconceived notions how much I already love the cartoons or it’s because Disney finally got one right.

I haven't seen 1917 so can't speak for Mendes, but I was hoping HFPA would reward Bong Joon Ho. The flow and misdirection of Parasite is just so amazing and on another totally different level. No one would have expected that third act after watching the first two, but Bong just weaves the flow of the film so seamlessly and efortlessly.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

And Denzel spend the whole show looking like he hated life, being there, and everyone around him. 

I don’t know why but it seems like Denzel is often cranky when he’s not performing.  I’ve felt that way for awhile.  A shame because I like him as an actor almost 100% of the time.  He just seems like a grumpy guy IRL.

• Love 8

I used to love watching these award shows and keeping up with movies and TV shows, even if I didn't watch them. But I haven't much lately. What are all these shows and movies? Lol Marriage Story, Parasite, Succession, Fleabag? All my friends are talking about on SM lately is "You" 

• Love 2
Just now, MVFrostsMyPie said:

The live action Mulan better have Mushu, although it loses points if Eddie Murphy isn't voicing Mushu.

(Kind of like how Will Smith is a piss-poor replacement for Robin Williams's Genie).

If Murphy isn't doing MuShu, I'm out.  'My baby is saving China!'

7 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

2 of the nicest actors, Winkler and Hanks, have a beef?  I would love someone to spill the tea.  But I bet we will never know.