Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/1/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, May 1 — Roy Wood Jr. (host, 2023 White House Correspondents’ Association dinner)

Tuesday, May 2 — Ellie Kemper (host, “The Great American Baking Show”); Deborah Roberts (author, “Lessons Learned and Cherished: The Teacher Who Changed My Life”)

Wednesday, May 3 — Minka Kelly (author, “Tell Me Everything: A Memoir”); Richard Dreyfuss (“Sweetwater”)

Thursday, May 4 — Charlie Day (“Fool’s Paradise”); Mother’s Day Favorite Things

Friday, May 5 — Golda Rosheuvel and Arsema Thomas (“Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story”); Karen Gillan (“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”)

Edited by falltime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

No, Sunny, no. As a writer, you first, write for yourself. You do NOT give in to fans' demands as to why x, y, or z should get their own story or whatever "injustice" "did wrong" of a character from a previous book needs to be rectified. That is Book Writing Rule 101.

And the repeated "homage" to this, "homage" to that. Come up with different words, or include all the homages in one sentence.

Ahem.

Roy is wonderful, as ever. But until I see his hosting, for me Trevor Noah is the one who has been the BEST. But of course Alyssa is going to tell him Roy's her favorite.

Has Sara never watched any of the previous White House Correspondents' shows, that she just comes out and also says Roy is the Bestest? Oh, wait. I need to re-read the sentence I wrote above.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Roy is wonderful, as ever. But until I see his hosting, for me Trevor Noah is the one who has been the BEST. But of course Alyssa is going to tell him Roy's her favorite.

Roy did a good job, my personal highlight was when he referred to Sunny Hostin's civil rights pioneer friend and all round good guy Don Lemon as an asshole.

• Like 3
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

Whoopi thinks doctors didn't know about ectopic pregnancies in the seventies? I really appreciated Joy's point here about a machine having more empathy than the doctor. We have a huge problem with medical personnel not listening to their patients and not giving a shit-especially with female patients and even more so for black female patients. A machine would be better. It wouldn't have the biases that humans do. A woman of childbearing age presenting with severe abdominal pain should have been given a pregnancy test. It is the bare minimum of care even in the seventies, Whoopi. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Whoopi thinks doctors didn't know about ectopic pregnancies in the seventies?

No. She said, that even in 70s, when there were a lot more male doctors, that they did know about ectopic pregnancies.

Sunny's habit of interviewing guests, and always, somehow, turning it around, to make it about herself, is starting to annoy me.

Guess Sara didn't feel like styling her hair today.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Maybe her hair stylist is also a writer? :-)

Would do a better job at writing than hair styling if that's their idea of a good style for Sara.

• Wink 1
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I really appreciated Joy's point here about a machine having more empathy than the doctor. We have a huge problem with medical personnel not listening to their patients and not giving a shit-especially with female patients and even more so for black female patients. A machine would be better. It wouldn't have the biases that humans do.

I had a good friend die this past December because medical personnel didn't listen to her or take her complaints seriously.  She was admitted to the hospital with a fracture close to her tailbone.  She had no idea and went to the hospital with what her personal doctor had originally diagnosed as sciatica.  A couple days later she complained of nausea and stomach pain.  They told her it must be the meds they were giving her.  Period end of discussion for them.  A week later her niece called to tell me her aunt was in the ICU recovering from surgery for a perforated ulcer.  Less than a week later she was dead from complications.  Now I'm no medical professional but do ulcers appear and perforate overnight?  Perhaps a machine would have taken her symptoms into consideration and offered multiple diagnoses with one of them being the correct one.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 9
(edited)
51 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. She said, that even in 70s, when there were a lot more male doctors, that they did know about ectopic pregnancies.

Sunny's habit of interviewing guests, and always, somehow, turning it around, to make it about herself, is starting to annoy me.

I heard it the other way too ,so  I played my cc 3 times and listened 4-5 times. ( hard of hearing)  Whoopi asks What year was that? Joy : 1979 is when this happened . Whoopi then said ok since 1979 we are lucky that  doctors , male doctors themselves know about ectopic pregnancies , remember folks didn’t know much about pregnancy in 1979.  WTF?  I guess she was backing up what Joy was saying that the doctor should have known because male doctors themselves knew about ectopic pregnancy but folks didn’t know much about pregnancy then.  I don’t think writers can help with Whoopi’s rambles. The look on Joy’s  face while she was saying that was priceless. 
I have so much in common with a Joy,   I had an ectopic pregnancy in 1979 too.  Needed 2 units of blood.very scary. 

Sunny doesn’t like bread and stuff? Doesn’t go with her seaweed bone broth? 

edited to add I spent 5 days in the hospital last month and it made me believe in Hell. I had not been in the hospital in e 1979 and had worked in the hospital where I was during that time. Al and Whoopi got excellent care because of who they are.   I was in the only private hospital in my very large area and staffing is awful and they run their butts off  but there really is no bedside care.  Confusion ,incorrect records causing a nurses aide to argue with me about a drug I am not allergic to just kept point

Spoiler
Spoiler

ing  to the computer showing that days date saying I had reaction to a drug I didn’t even  know what was and was never given it .  Screaming  patients I thought I was in Hell.  I’d gladly stayed in ER for those 5 days. 
can’t get rid of spoilers.  
@bluegirl147. I think an infected colon or GI polyp burst and thus causing sepsis could happen but should not happen that quickly.   Our medical industry is a crime.  . 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 2
(edited)

Whoopi was feeling pretty testy today.  When she made the announcement about the writers' strike, Whoopi kind of misspoke (as she often does), saying that they "don't have writers here".  Joy corrected her, saying that they usually do have writers but they don't right now, and Whoopi snapped back at her about that.

Then, when discussing the Met Gala and Alyssa wanted to jump off the "Karl Lagerfeld is a bad person" discussion and get into the fashions, Whoopi told Alyssa to basically back off from doing Whoopi's job of moving the show along.  Alyssa was visibly upset that she was being publicly admonished by Whoopi.

I wonder if Whoopi's testiness because of the writers' strike and they will be kind of going "off the cuff" for now, so she may actually have to do some work and research and come up with her own words, instead of reading off the teleprompter.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 16
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

well, it seems to be what whoopi does all the time too

• Like 1

I kind of liked that they conversed and asked questions off the cuff rather than reading cue cards that sometimes awkwardly change the flow. Sorry, writers. But I did do a spit take when Whoopi said docs didn’t know about ectopic pregnancy in 1979. The hell?  Poor Joy. That must have been terrible. 

• Like 4

I actually enjoyed the show without the scripts to be honest. It was more organic and actual conversations as apposed to “we must tick all these boxes about our discussion” “you have the first question” etc 

Whoopi was shitty that’s for sure. Might be the fact that she’s a bit worried being off script to help her along ? 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Good for Sunny that her book is doing well on the Amazon list, but as someone who likes her and read her first book:  don’t buy it!!!  Her first book was awful.  Unrealistic plot points and lots of name dropping (about places, people and things).  Thank goodness for library cards.  But I’m sure we’ll be hearing about it all summer, including when they do their book suggestions.

Nice to see Debra and to hear Al’s doing well!  And her book actually sounds interesting 😁. Too bad the audience didn’t get copies of that one.

And Whoopi was NOT clear (surprise, surprise) about the writers.  Joy was right to jump in and point out that they usually do have writers.  I can’t believe that at her age she hasn’t learned the art of gracefully admitting she may have made a mistake or said something that could be misinterpreted.  But I guess when you’re a movie stah, you don’t have to do that often 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 14
  • Wink 2
6 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Then, when discussing the Met Gala and Alyssa wanted to jump off the "Karl Lagerfeld is a bad person" discussion and get into the fashions, Whoopi told Alyssa to basically back off from doing Whoopi's job of moving the show along.

I’m glad Whoopi cut her off, as they were all still talking about Lagerfeld. Whatever her reasons for not wanting to let others finish or add to whatever was already said, Alyssa should have just waited. I didn’t see it as Alyssa trying to be the moderator.

5 hours ago, cinsays said:

it seems to be what whoopi does all the time too

Not exactly. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t recall Whoopi, while in the middle of asking a question, will turn around and toot her own horn, making it about her. That said, she does sit there and let others kiss her ass when they tell her she was their inspiration, hero, blah, blah, fish cakes.

And as for talking offscript? That shouldn’t be an issue for Whoopi as she’s a stand up comic. I don’t know. I had no problem understanding what she was saying about ectopic pregnancies. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

Bet Sunny’s glad Alyssa’s been promoted to the execrable “View Your Deal.”  Never understood why it takes 3 people to demo this (mostly) plastic gar-bage.  How many more totes, flip flops, bracelets, etc., do we need on our imperiled planet?  Even if Oprah picked ‘em.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Bet Sunny’s glad Alyssa’s been promoted to the execrable “View Your Deal.”  Never understood why it takes 3 people to demo this (mostly) plastic gar-bage.  How many more totes, flip flops, bracelets, etc., do we need on our imperiled planet?  Even if Oprah picked ‘em.

I change the channel every time any show does these in show advertisements. It seems that all the morning shows do this now and I am sick of it. Whenever I hear the host say, "we partnered with", I get a raging headache. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, flummoxd said:

if i don't ever have to hear sunny say "let's get shopping!" in that strange tone of hers i will be happy

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
21 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

These segments are big moneymakers.

Yes they are but it is driving me away as a viewer. I was a loyal watcher of the CBS morning show but it is now a long commercial and a clown show. The dumbing down is complete. 

• Like 6
20 hours ago, Haleth said:

I kind of liked that they conversed and asked questions off the cuff rather than reading cue cards that sometimes awkwardly change the flow. Sorry, writers. But I did do a spit take when Whoopi said docs didn’t know about ectopic pregnancy in 1979. The hell?  Poor Joy. That must have been terrible. 

I'm actually not surprised.   Doctors who are not OBGYNs are still very ignorant on a lot of common gynecological issues.  Ask any woman who suffers from fibroids, endometriosis or PCOD.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Somebody farted again. Near the end of the Minka Kelly interview, when she was answering Joy's question. I rewound and listened again and yep,there it was. Made me laugh.The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, EllieW said:

Somebody farted again. Near the end of the Minka Kelly interview, when she was answering Joy's question. I rewound and listened again and yep,there it was. Made me laugh.The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what I "thought I heard" ... LOL.  (Whoopi?)

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Teriacky said:

Why was Richard Dreyfuss sitting in such a strange position? 

I wondered the same thing.  Does he have some sort of medical issue?  It was rather distracting.

49 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Does he have some sort of medical issue?

Well, since he was sitting there when they came back from commercial, and he didn’t walk out like everybody else does, that would be my guess.

5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I haven't even watched it and I would bet the farm on Whoopi!  She's been doing this for years.  Poor Sarah!

I re-watched & it seems like "the sound" happened more than once, at lease five times.  To me, it sounded like someone's clothing, like a vinyl/leather skirt!!???

• Like 1

Sure, Alyssa, let's just continue with the whataboutisms while talking about Fucker Carlson. Like that man ever had a soul. He's been an ASSHOLE for years, going back to when Jon Stewart went on Crossfire where he and Paul Begala were hosting and told him to stop being a dick.

But yes, do go on about how you've known him for years and he was never like this.

11 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

I thought the overtalking today was really obnoxious. So the writers are away the mice will play?

I don't think the writers' strike has anything to do with the overtalking. It happens even when there are writers typing their lines for the teleprompter.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
On 5/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

But until I see his hosting, for me Trevor Noah is the one who has been the BEST.

I totally agree! He’s so cute, smart and witty and I wish he was my son-in-law. 

Besides someone always saying “take a little time to enjoy the view” does anything notable ever happen on The View after the final commercial break?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Why is Whoopi always eating on the show, even when they're not doing a food segment? Can't she make it an hour without food? Or, if not, can't she eat during the commercials? There's no excuse for a mouth full of food when coming back from a commercial.

• Like 3
  • Applause 8

Come on-n-n, TravelingLady, doncha remember when Whoops told us that one of her issues was she’d get involved in a project and forget to eat??  I have that problem, too 🙄.  

I do have to say that I enjoyed Whoopi’s favorite Mom’s Day things - very refreshing to see actual Walmart items on offer (extra points if my kid gives me a filled bracelet flask this year. )  With all our seemingly endless special occasions, love me a good gag gift.

• LOL 2

Re chores:

Yes, Sunny you are sexist. Just what the hell kind of chore is “packing pretty things” anyway?😒😒😒

I’m gonna check out outofprintdotcom, the site Joy was hawking!

Maybe normal folks would get your serum, J Lo if, oh, I don’t know, you made it affordable! $79 for one lousy ounce??!!

• Like 4
4 hours ago, TravelingLady said:

Why is Whoopi always eating on the show, even when they're not doing a food segment? Can't she make it an hour without food? Or, if not, can't she eat during the commercials? There's no excuse for a mouth full of food when coming back from a commercial.

Not to mention why TPTB seem to be ok with it since it happens regularly. 

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe normal folks would get your serum, J Lo if, oh, I don’t know, you made it affordable! $79 for one lousy ounce??!!

I didn't watch the J.Lo interview, but here's my take on why she looks so incredible. I believe her that genetics and her lifestyle have a lot to do with it. She said she sleeps a lot every night, and she eats super healthy. Most people I know (including myself) feel lucky if they get six to seven hours, only dream of getting eight. Most of us indulge in junk food in a regular basis. 

I also believe her about not having plastic surgery or Botox. She looks youthful but natural and not frozen. HOWEVER, I don't think I've ever heard her admit to micro needling, PRP, lasers, nothing. I'd be shocked if she hasn't regularly had noninvasive help throughout the years. I'm just a regular person and have even spent a lot of money getting laser treatments for acne scars. Even stuff like La Mer can only do so much imo. I doubt her serum will transform anyone's skin, even if it's pricy and has her name on it. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

And she's not even classy about (chomp, chomp) it.  I think she believes she's better than everyone else ... and the production staff has been told to treat her as such.  

7 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Not to mention why TPTB seem to be ok with it since it happens regularly. 

For some reason the people at the TOP at Disney love her; she can do no wrong.  I'll never see it; she ruins the shows for me.  As long as she has to support all the generations in her family, she'll be sitting at this table--easy gig.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, Sunny you are sexist. Just what the hell kind of chore is “packing pretty things” anyway?😒😒😒

I’m gonna check out outofprintdotcom, the site Joy was hawking!

She just lives in a double-standard bubble.  Men strong. Men WORK HARD.  Women pretty little things.  Woman stack.  She competes with Whoopi in the Ego Game. Her daughter was probably humiliated after watching Thursday's description of "chores" on television...not to mention what the girls at school said TO her (AND behind her back).  Sunny is all about Sunny-The-Only-Child and never considers how her comments about her children and husband affect them.

On 5/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And the repeated "homage" to this, "homage" to that. Come up with different words, or include all the homages in one sentence.

And, Sunny, unless you want to explain the reasons for your latest book in French, please pronounce "homage" the good old American way.

• LOL 1
On 5/2/2023 at 9:31 AM, GiveMeSpace said:

Whoopi thinks doctors didn't know about ectopic pregnancies in the seventies?

Wait just a durn minute.  If Whoopi hints that doctors didn't know about ectopic pregnancies in the 70s, DOCTORS DID NOT KNOW ABOUT ECTOPIC PREGNANCIES IN THE 70s. 

• Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Re chores:

So Gabriel gets to do what Sunny thinks is the "manly" stuff and Paloma gets to stack things.  What does that even mean?

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

She just lives in a double-standard bubble.  Men strong. Men WORK HARD.  Women pretty little things.  Woman stack.

It is such antiquated thinking.   But I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same woman who thinks she needs to be pretty in the morning when Manny wakes up lest he lose interest.

• Like 8
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I doubt her serum will transform anyone's skin, even if it's pricy and has her name on it. 

I was busy painting during the show yesterday but did hear her say results are seen “over time,” which is code for “by the time you realize it’s useless it’s too late for a refund.”

I was busy again today so only half paying attention but Sunny was pretty obnoxious with her classicism and fawning over the Bridgerton actors. And yes, yesterday with her sexism.  I’m surprised Paloma was on stage at the end.  Doesn’t she usually shield her daughter?  (Of course other than when she’s revealing embarrassing things.)

• Like 6
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

It is such antiquated thinking.   But I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same woman who thinks she needs to be pretty in the morning when Manny wakes up lest he lose interest.

Not just antiquated, but kind of juvenile. When I was a young teenager, I thought that would be the way to do things when I got married. That idea didn't survive into my twenties. Besides, there are a million things in life that are going to disarrange your makeup, how are you going to deal with that?

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1