Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/1/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Interesting that Sunny thinks that the Founding Fathers were "not the brightest" concerning slavery when constructing the Constitution, as if the only reason there wasn't a satisfactory resolution was because they were too dim to figure it out. I'm no history major, but even I (who does know that there are 3 branches of government) am aware that the issue of slavery was the point of contentious negotiation and in order to get anywhere, compromises had to be made, and sadly, the can got "kicked down the road" to be addressed at a later date. As a former federal prosecutor, Sunny should be familiar with situations where you have to compromise to get anything done. 

• Like 2

I think a better frame of reference during the bus driver discussion would be to ask if any of the ladies on the panel would have married their current husband if he was a bus driver.   Joy was the only one of the panel who married someone considered working class (even thought teachers are college educated).   But the rest of the ladies are married to successful lawyers and Sunny to a doctor.  Sarah spoke openly about mostly dating older established men before meeting her husband.    I don't see any of these ladies dating or marrying a bus driver either.   But white women aren't usually asked that type of question or criticized for their response like like Eboni K Williams was.   

6 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Interesting that Sunny thinks that the Founding Fathers were "not the brightest" concerning slavery when constructing the Constitution, as if the only reason there wasn't a satisfactory resolution was because they were too dim to figure it out. I'm no history major, but even I (who does know that there are 3 branches of government) am aware that the issue of slavery was the point of contentious negotiation and in order to get anywhere, compromises had to be made, and sadly, the can got "kicked down the road" to be addressed at a later date. As a former federal prosecutor, Sunny should be familiar with situations where you have to compromise to get anything done. 

There are many who will never view enslaving human beings on the basis on skin color, and counting them as 3/5 human as a compromise.    

• Applause 8
  • Love 1

I wasn't clear about what the context was concerning the bus driver question, but the issue to me with the answer was that Eboni responded as though the job totally defined the person and went on to say that "average" wouldn't be good enough for her.  What women (and men) look for in a partner varies and job title isn't always the top priority. For some people, job title is a clue for income and social status, and what they really want is someone with an adequate income (at least as they determine it) and equal or better social status. If bus driver income is sufficient (or more) for your lifestyle, and everything else is equal, then a bus driver is no less desirable than say, a computer programmer. Of course, in addition to job title and income, there are plenty of other variables, including personality, looks, temperament, and depending on your priorities, anything could trump the job/income/social status. IMO, Eboni should be aware that her insistence on being with someone "above average" presumes that a person at that level would find her acceptable.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

It is such antiquated thinking.   But I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same woman who thinks she needs to be pretty in the morning when Manny wakes up lest he lose interest.

Isn't she the same mother who explained her (health-related) breast reduction to her daughter ... but the word "rhinoplasty" is never mentioned.  Is that one a secret?

(edited)
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

As a former federal prosecutor, Sunny should be familiar with situations where you have to compromise to get anything done. 

Good one, KittyQ.  It does make me wonder if Sunny realizes how rare it is for her to accept that word: compromise.  She is getting more annoying and self-aggrandizing every season.  If her novel DOES get near to series production, I hope she's too busy being the executive producer that she "regretfully" leaves "The View."

It IS enjoyable to watch her suck up to Whoopi almost daily--because  Whoopi isn't having it.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:12 AM, geekburger said:

Whoopi: “We will put it on the website!” and “Next time, come hang out with us the full hour!” are two statements that are....never accurate. 

OR SINCERE!   They're so gratuitous, off-handed, and often, I wish Brian would ask her to stop.  Never mind.  I know who's really in charge. 

Edited by Back Atcha
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

There are many who will never view enslaving human beings on the basis on skin color, and counting them as 3/5 human as a compromise.    

At least one of the founding fathers (Thomas Jefferson) was a slave owner so how much compromising was there?

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

IMO, Eboni should be aware that her insistence on being with someone "above average" presumes that a person at that level would find her acceptable.

Or maybe a bus driver wouldn't want to date her.

• Like 2
On 5/2/2023 at 11:52 AM, njbchlover said:

When she made the announcement about the writers' strike, Whoopi kind of misspoke (as she often does), saying that they "don't have writers here".  Joy corrected her, saying that they usually do have writers but they don't right now, and Whoopi snapped back at her about that.

I bet the WRITERS enjoyed that ... one more low rung on The Ladder of Whoopi.

I'm glad (sorta) I'm having to read these two pages of comments.  NJBCHLOVER's comment kept me from going to YouTube to see if my memory failed me.  Thanks, NJB...it did not.  I remembered Whoopi's saying they didn't have writers...then every day thereafter she would mention WHY they don't have writers...currently.   I've wanted needed her gone since she started.

Now I want Sunny gone too. That would leave a nice panel of Sara, Joy (gone on Mondays, but moderator other days), Ana (when she can make it), and Alyssa, all breathing sighs of release (I know it's "relief").  All those "guest hosts" Whoopi promised over the decades could have a day here and there if they REALLY need a fifth.

Anyone know why I use the apostrophe S after Whoopi's name above?  I do. It's a part of speech.  Is it archaic?

• Like 2

A Pronunciation Pet Peeve.  Were they demonstrating their "affordable gifts" for Mother's Day yesterday

I was surprised to hear Alyssa pronounce the word:   JUE-LUR-ee.   Maybe someone will let her know the word is JUE-EL-REE, based on the word JEWEL, not JULE.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

For some people, job title is a clue for income and social status, and what they really want is someone with an adequate income (at least as they determine it) and equal or better social status.

I don't think that being able to afford private schools for her children was in Sunny's mind when she began her quest for success.  SHE attended private schools (on scholarship and--maybe--grants) and always reminds us that she came "from the projects".  She probably wanted out. So did I. I think she wanted to attain better social status...and needed a high income to get there.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  Some people want it but don't know how to get it--or don't have what it takes to earn it. Along the way, she attained a law education and a medical student.  A lot of it was luck.  A lot was hard work, but the BIG MONEY sure did roll in.  Now she just seems SNOBBY with a need to be better than the rest of us.  She's a real success story and can't seem to relax and enjoy it. Joy HAS RELAXED and enjoys it.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

A Pronunciation Pet Peeve.  Were they demonstrating their "affordable gifts" for Mother's Day yesterday

I was surprised to hear Alyssa pronounce the word:   JUE-LUR-ee.   Maybe someone will let her know the word is JUE-EL-REE, based on the word JEWEL, not JULE.

Well Alyssa got a lot closer than the QVC Program host who says JEW-ree. Alyssa often talks way too fast.

9 minutes ago, mispickel said:

Well Alyssa got a lot closer than the QVC Program host who says JEW-ree. Alyssa often talks way too fast.

You reminded me of a complaint I read on a QVC board.  It's STILL THERE from 2017!  Poster "cringes" when she hears the correct pronunciation.  EGAD!

• "Re: Teach your hosts PLEASE!!!   ‎10-10-2017 07:45 PM 
  • I cringe when I hear *anyone* say jew-el-ry. There is no such wordl The OP is 100% correct!"

oh my god omg GIF

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
10 hours ago, After7Only said:

I think a better frame of reference during the bus driver discussion would be to ask if any of the ladies on the panel would have married their current husband if he was a bus driver.   Joy was the only one of the panel who married someone considered working class (even thought teachers are college educated).   But the rest of the ladies are married to successful lawyers and Sunny to a doctor.  Sarah spoke openly about mostly dating older established men before meeting her husband.    I don't see any of these ladies dating or marrying a bus driver either.   But white women aren't usually asked that type of question or criticized for their response like like Eboni K Williams was.   

All of the above is true. It reminds me of when people who obviously value looks insist looks don't matter. A beautiful attorney like Eboni is unlikely to be with a man who's not a little more on the affluent side. I also think she's probably simply more honest than a lot of women would be on TV if given that question. 

10 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I wasn't clear about what the context was concerning the bus driver question, but the issue to me with the answer was that Eboni responded as though the job totally defined the person and went on to say that "average" wouldn't be good enough for her.  What women (and men) look for in a partner varies and job title isn't always the top priority. For some people, job title is a clue for income and social status, and what they really want is someone with an adequate income (at least as they determine it) and equal or better social status. If bus driver income is sufficient (or more) for your lifestyle, and everything else is equal, then a bus driver is no less desirable than say, a computer programmer. Of course, in addition to job title and income, there are plenty of other variables, including personality, looks, temperament, and depending on your priorities, anything could trump the job/income/social status. IMO, Eboni should be aware that her insistence on being with someone "above average" presumes that a person at that level would find her acceptable.

So that is the part that rubbed me the wrong way. Trust me, I'm not mad if a man has a lucrative career. However, I'm sure there are lots of bus drivers who are honest, decent people and have big hearts, can make you laugh, make great husbands, wonderful fathers, etc. As far as stuff that's not deep, they may also be very physically attractive, great in bed, etc. I would take a man like that over a jackass attorney who only has money any day. I'm not going to dismiss someone as average based on what they do. You're not automatically this catch just because you own the bus either. 

I agree with Sunny's point that it's nice for at least ONE of the partners to make a good income. The average salary for a bus driver in the US is 42,175. Let's say you want to have 2-3 kids and be a stay-at-home mom. Money will be tight, and your life will be stressful. On the other hand, let's say you make six figures yourself and want to keep working. Your partner really doesn't need to make huge bucks for you to have a lifestyle that's comfortable. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I bet the WRITERS enjoyed that ... one more low rung on The Ladder of Whoopi.

I'm glad (sorta) I'm having to read these two pages of comments.  NJBCHLOVER's comment kept me from going to YouTube to see if my memory failed me.  Thanks, NJB...it did not.  I remembered Whoopi's saying they didn't have writers...

Anyone know why I use the apostrophe S after Whoopi's name above?  I do. It's a part of speech.  Is it archaic?

Since you introduced it, please explain your ‘s use - I wanna know!  Seems it’d be correct to simply state, “I remembered Whoppi saying…” - but what do I know?  And I agree, Sunny was dripping superiority re the bus driver bit, but redeemed herself later with Ari Melber on “The Beat.”

• Like 1

I'm not sure why they booked that young actress from the Guardians movie to be on.  View viewers are really not the right demographic and it was apparent the hosts were clueless about the series.

Whoopi's saying vs Whoopi saying.  It depends on if you are using "saying" as a noun or a verb.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm not sure why they booked that young actress from the Guardians movie to be on.  View viewers are really not the right demographic and it was apparent the hosts were clueless about the series.

Karen Gillan should've been on episode that taped Monday thru Thursday.  Like the panelists I'm clueless about the MCU, but I know Whoopi, the Dr Who fan, would've liked seeing KG since she played the Doctor's companion Amy Pond for three seasons.

• Like 4
On 5/6/2023 at 2:31 AM, flummoxd said:

Since you introduced it, please explain your ‘s use - I wanna know!  Seems it’d be correct to simply state, “I remembered Whoppi saying…” - but what do I know?

On 5/6/2023 at 5:10 AM, Haleth said:

Whoopi's saying vs Whoopi saying.  It depends on if you are using "saying" as a noun or a verb.

The part of speech is a GERUND.  Easiest explanation...when a word looks like a verb, but it's used as a noun--as the subject of a sentence...similar to Haleth's explanation above.  I think the gerund has become a lost cause.

The subject of the sentence should be in the possessive form.  All these "ing" words are the subject.  I bet I shouldn't have started this--because I'm remembering high school English and I graduated in  '58: 

• Whoopi chewing at the table is annoying.   WRONG
  • Whoopi’s chewing at the table…
  • Sunny celebrating her accomplishments is typical.  WRONG
  • Sunny’s celebrating her…
  • Joy laughing at Whoopi’s faux pas is entertaining  WRONG
  • Joy’s laughing at…
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1