Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

How many of you take compliments in one ear out the other but remember negative comments forever?

I could hear all sorts of nice things, but I'll think people are blowing smoke, just trying to be nice, trying to get laid, etc. But if I near something remotely negative, it stays with me forever and ever. I know this isn't a good quality I have, but I can't seem to shake it.  

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I'm a 1. I wasn't aware until recently there are people who can't visualize things in their head!

Well, first thing I visualized was the graphic in the post.  After I was able to wipe that out of my mind, I was visualizing my produce drawer in the refrigerator, and the bag of apples I could see through the clear front.  I'm not sure what number to give that!

But seriously, I've only heard in the past couple of years that some people don't "visualize" things and that blew my mind.  People who don't do it were asking things like "so you close your eyes and it appears, like on the back of your eyelids?"  No, not really.  You just know what it looks like.  Like my family pictures in the other room.  I just know what they look like.  Apparently it's very hard for the 1's to understand the 5's and vice versa.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I'm a 1. I wasn't aware until recently there are people who can't visualize things in their head!

Interesting, I had never realized there were people who couldn't visualize images in their head. I'm somewhere between a 1 and 2.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Also a 1, though I pictured a Granny Smith (my favorite kind of apple, ha ha). It would be weird not to be able to visualize something in your head, but apparently a lot of people can't, which is why all those real estate make-over shows insist on staging homes for sale so people understand how a room should be furnished and used.

I went down the rabbit hole of de-cluttering videos the other day and it's fascinating how differently the brain works in people who collect and/or hoard and those who don't. I collect things (within reason, as space and money allows) but get great satisfaction out of purging things as well. Even though I had a friend who was a low-level hoarder (sadly she's passed on), I never quite got how she always ended up in a cluttered and sometimes dirty mess. I knew there was some trauma there, obviously, but didn't understand how complicated it was.

• Like 1
On 7/1/2023 at 3:43 PM, Bastet said:

I don't use AutoPay for anything.  I like checking my bills (online) for any errors before paying, so I can call and get it handled and then pay the correct amount rather than being auto-charged an error and having to get it refunded afterward.  But that hardly ever happens, so it's really just a laziness thing in not setting it up with each company.  (My life revolves around calendaring, so I am not one to miss a deadline and thus incur a fee.)

I put everything on my credit card, so I just have one check to write each month.

I don't use auto-pay unless the company gives me an incentive.

When I get my statement via email I log in, review the bill, and set up an electronic payment to deduct on the first of the month it's due. Invoices that can be paid using a CC without a surcharge go on my CC. The ones that charge are paid through ACH.

I haven't written a check in so long, that when I wrote one to my contractor for $x,xxx.xx I forgot to write out the "and x hundred" dollars part and didn't realize it until the check cleared for less than it was supposed to be. The bank pointed out the omission. Thankfully the owner of the company thought that was hilarious because he didn't catch it either, and was cool about it, and will just add the extra hundred to my final payment.

My CU will print checks for free,  I usually asked for 8 at a time. I just shredded 6 checks from when I lived in CA (moved to hell GA in 2017), a handful from my apt there, and kept the checks I had from my house there. When I go visit my parents in August I'll get 8 printed with my new address so I can pay this contractor for additional projects they'll be doing.

• Like 2

Changed up my avatar to an old school picture of Madonna from the 1985 American Music Awards.  I love the look with all the jewelry.  To me its like the cutest thing ever.

I am a fan of her as well and two of my best friends are like huge huge fans.  They were going to see her in concert but I'm not sure now with her illness.  

• Like 2
On 6/28/2023 at 12:49 PM, peacheslatour said:

On here or SIH?

What's SIH?

On 6/28/2023 at 9:47 PM, shapeshifter said:

True. But with a grandchild in daycare, I’m one of the first to know what horrible contagion is currently on the loose, and toddlers do sit in shopping carts. But if the carts are stacked tightly, I presume it’s been long enough since anyone with pinkeye or strep or stomach flu has deposited germs on the handle.

If the carts are packed together tightly, I assume it's because a store employee, who has recently handled all manner of germ-ridden items, has just been by and pushed them all together 😄

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Is that another forum?  How do you access it?  Is it for TV?

You have to be nominated by a member. It has all sorts of topics but it's also very political. Probably not for everyone.

• Useful 3
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Snowing in Hell. A lot of us post there.

I'm trying to decide if I'm interested, but I also don't know if anyone would nominate me. I'm one of those very political people that was mentioned in another thread - sort of. But that's partly because of where I live, and I can't say why. I don't really socialize with family who believe certain things, but I don't launch into things at funerals, either. I hug them, and support them. Or when I go with my dad, when he meets his brothers somewhere. I stay in the van with the dog, or do something else, but I'm not rude to them (I'm also still not eating inside anywhere but home).

I'm also looking to just find anything else to talk about, and be able to have a laugh again. I downloaded this game, just to play something silly. I'm not into July 4th, anymore, and it was always about fireworks for me before, because I grew up in another country. The country you were fighting. Awkward. 😄

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm trying to decide if I'm interested, but I also don't know if anyone would nominate me. I'm one of those very political people that was mentioned in another thread - sort of. But that's partly because of where I live, and I can't say why. I don't really socialize with family who believe certain things, but I don't launch into things at funerals, either. I hug them, and support them. Or when I go with my dad, when he meets his brothers somewhere. I stay in the van with the dog, or do something else, but I'm not rude to them (I'm also still not eating inside anywhere but home).

I'm also looking to just find anything else to talk about, and be able to have a laugh again. I downloaded this game, just to play something silly. I'm not into July 4th, anymore, and it was always about fireworks for me before, because I grew up in another country. The country you were fighting. Awkward. 😄

I'll nominate you if you want.

• Like 1

I think the "picks for you" news feature in google must be pretty random.  Lately all the picks seem to be sports related.  This cannot in any way, shape or form be based on what I search for or where I go on the Internet.  This is not, BTW,  a bad thing.  The cyberworld knows far more about me than I am comfortable with as it is!

• Like 4
(edited)

All these algorithms on the internet are so weird.  Sometimes I will go on Youtube and ask it to run videos on a certain subject, maybe photography, maybe a place that I hope to be visiting.  But what Youtube likes to do is after the first video, switch to one that has no real connection to what I searched for, or else switch to one that I just watched yesterday.  Obviously I could go change it, but this often happens when I'm eating.  Just wondering what kind of "logic" these apps use.   Or maybe I should agree with you @Laura Holt, it's a good thing.   I almost never go on Facebook anymore but I still don't know how it knows my date of birth.

Edited by roseha
  • Like 6

I’m feeling annoyed with my landlord. I’ve been in this house for four months now and still like it pretty much. However, when I signed the lease I was told that I was allowed to use the parking lot and that the only other time it would be in use was when members of the church across the street (the house is owned by the church; it used to be a priest’s home) were there for Mass or another event. This seemed fair to me, as it’s a small church so they don’t have tons of events. Then, I noticed other cars not affiliated with the church parked there occasionally. I mentioned it to my landlord and he seemed willing to get bigger signage according to local requirements and said if I saw other people parked there I could tell them to take a hike if they were not there for a church reason. Easy enough.

Fast forward to last weekend when I ran into the landlord. He said that he is allowing a tenant who just moved into the property next door (which is not owned by the church) to use the lot because the owner of that property asked so my landlord just allowed it. Now today, yet another car not belonging to a church member is in the lot. I don’t understand why my landlord is now just opening what’s supposed to be my parking and church member parking to anyone and everyone who wants to use it. Especially for the tenant of a property not owned by the church and the owner next door has no affiliation with the church. 

I am beyond annoyed and will be watching the lot like a hawk when I can for other cars. I don’t understand…if I got a place where I was told I was entitled to off-street parking with limited exceptions, why has it now turned into a public lot open to everyone too lazy to park on the street? 

• Sad 2
(edited)

As someone who is used to living in places that require payment for assigned spots, or limits parking to residents only (via a tag) I can empathize with you. Are these additional cars taking the spot assigned to your house or impacting the ability to park at a reasonable distance from your home?

That's an issue the landlord should 100% deal with. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

As someone who is used to living in places that require payment for assigned spots, or limits parking to residents only (via a tag) I can empathize with you. Are these additional cars taking the spot assigned to your house or impacting the ability to park at a reasonable distance from your home?

That's an issue the landlord should 100% deal with. 

So before the idea of me renting it was ever brought up, the lot was always for church parking only. (There is a sign on the garage indicating this, although the borough says bigger signage is required for legalese reasons, etc.) So there was no need for tags, paid parking, etc.

The other car parking there does still leave me space, but my concern is it’s not a big parking lot (there’s maybe about six or seven spaces at most) and if I’m ever leaving the house on the day of a church event, then if people are using the lot for the event and the lot is full and the tenant from next door is parked there then that will leave me without a space. I don’t think that’s right; the other tenant should have to use the street. 

• Like 2

It's really funny.  I went to Catholic middle school and was on the basketball team there for about a month before I decided I didn't like the school, the other kids, the whole league, etc....

But in that one month I learned one of the most valuable lessons I learned in life at a practice.  One day the coach was like already mad and then somebody asked what he thought was a stupid question and he went off on him.  Later on once the coach cooled down someone asked him something else.  And I still recall this kid Chris said, " I didn't want to ask this when you were mad but yada yada yada"

I honestly dont even remember what Chris asked but the coach went on saying "Yes this is a much better time to ask me that when I'm cooled off"

I just can't tell you how many people like lack situational awareness like that.  Or how much timing truly is important when asking somebody something or what not.  Many people these days IMO have no concept at all of it.  Like certain questions or what not could and should wait 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I just can't tell you how many people like lack situational awareness like that.  Or how much timing truly is important when asking somebody something or what not.  Many people these days IMO have no concept at all of it.  Like certain questions or what not could and should wait 

My mother had a rule. When Dad came home never bother him with anything negative etc until he had time to unwind, have a cocktail, and eat. I ignored the “rule” one day. Big mistake. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

So before the idea of me renting it was ever brought up, the lot was always for church parking only. (There is a sign on the garage indicating this, although the borough says bigger signage is required for legalese reasons, etc.) So there was no need for tags, paid parking, etc.

The other car parking there does still leave me space, but my concern is it’s not a big parking lot (there’s maybe about six or seven spaces at most) and if I’m ever leaving the house on the day of a church event, then if people are using the lot for the event and the lot is full and the tenant from next door is parked there then that will leave me without a space. I don’t think that’s right; the other tenant should have to use the street. 

100% worth getting clarification about the parking situation during church event days and the prioritization order on spots. It sounds like a lot of the lots around my old place. They were private, with signage, and the building management would approve parking for certain people as they saw fit.

• Like 4

I usually like unfiltered people that speak their mind.  My manager is one.  

Sometimes it gets awkward though being she sits in the back of our office.  I think sometimes people can hear her say some unflattering things 

• Like 2
On 7/3/2023 at 8:38 PM, Browncoat said:

I put a lot of things on auto-pay in late 2020 when the post office kept making my mailed checks late. 

Some of my bills come out automatically from my checking account.  Some I pay with a check.  I mail ahead of time, but lately they arrive late.  Is it the Post Office, or they downsized the help where I’m sending it ??

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Some of my bills come out automatically from my checking account.  Some I pay with a check.  I mail ahead of time, but lately they arrive late.  Is it the Post Office, or they downsized the help where I’m sending it ??

I believe when the former president installed DeJoy as postmaster general, the latter slowed down all the mail, even first class to save money.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

I believe when the former president installed DeJoy as postmaster general, the latter slowed down all the mail, even first class to save money.

Given the timing of my issues, I believe the same thing.

• Like 3

I pay all my bills online.  They aren’t necessarily automatic, but I’ll be emailed a bill and I’ll log in to my bank and pay there.  I’ve been doing this for 10+ years.  My mom does this as well.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

I pay all my bills online.  They aren’t necessarily automatic, but I’ll be emailed a bill and I’ll log in to my bank and pay there.  I’ve been doing this for 10+ years.  My mom does this as well.  

Same here.  And if I get a bill that's not one of my regular monthly ones, the first thing I look for is the website where I can pay online.  Second thing I look for is whether I can use a credit card without an additional fee :)

I hadn't tried paying through my bank.  I guess I need to check on that for the rare bill that doesn't have a payment site.

14 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

He implemented the policy to remove sorting machines which in turn slowed everything down.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Well, now the PO is saying that they don't advise sending checks through the mail, as they cannot ensure that they won't be stolen, either by their own personnel, or by a random mail thief.

I realize that it is 2023, but there are still those older folks who aren't comfortable with the internet, or paying their bills on it, regardless of how we may feel about it. 

For me, it just solidifies my thought that the postal service as a mail delivery business model is beyond obsolete, and should be ended, saving the taxpayers billion$. I realize that many many would become unemployed, and that is most unfortunate, but lots of folks have had to suffer a similar fate. 

<sigh> Progress

Edited by SuprSuprElevated