Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/13/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Feb. 13 – Ali Wentworth (ABC’s “The Parent Test”)

Tuesday, Feb. 14 – Nathan Lane (“Pictures From Home”)

Wednesday, Feb. 15 – Liam Neeson (“Marlowe”)

Thursday, Feb. 16 – “Star Trek: The Next Generation” reunion with the cast of “Picard” including Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden and Michael Dorn

Friday, Feb. 17 – Milo Ventimiglia (“The Company You Keep”); Greta Thunberg (author, “The Climate Book: Facts and Solutions”) 

• Thanks 1
On 2/10/2023 at 6:20 PM, falltime said:

Monday, Feb. 13 – Ali Wentworth (ABC’s “The Parent Test”)

Tuesday, Feb. 14 – Nathan Lane (“Pictures From Home”)

Wednesday, Feb. 15 – Liam Neeson (“Marlowe”)

Thursday, Feb. 16 – “Star Trek: The Next Generation” reunion with the cast of “Picard” including Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden and Michael Dorn

Friday, Feb. 17 – Milo Ventimiglia (“The Company You Keep”); Greta Thunberg (author, “The Climate Book: Facts and Solutions”) 

I wonder if they update the guest list on their ticket website.  Ali is not listed, instead it says Elizabeth Banks. It shows Patrick Stewart for Tuesday and not Thursday.

Maybe because she missed out on the SB snacks last Fri?

I wonder if they update the guest list on their ticket website.  Ali is not listed, instead it says Elizabeth Banks.

So it was neither.  Chuck Shumer instead.

Edited by Haleth
  • Applause 1

Whoopi was super rude crunching on those chips during the show. I could totally hear her while others were talking. Can't you wait an hour to shovel food in? Or at least the commercal breaks? And then be mad because you were corrected about Patrick Mahomes? Get it right the first time. 🙄

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
7 hours ago, pvandal said:

Whoopi was super rude crunching on those chips during the show. I could totally hear her while others were talking. Can't you wait an hour to shovel food in? Or at least the commercal breaks? And then be mad because you were corrected about Patrick Mahomes? Get it right the first time. 🙄

She tried to act like that fact was unimportant . Can you imagine if aomeone mentioned her Emmy,Grammy and Oscar, but left out the Tony?

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Sunny seems fixated on the need for more Black owners of football teams - isn’t that easily resolved by some rich Black person putting his (or her - haha) billions on the barrel head?  Have at, y’all!  Or is there discrimination that limits ownership options?  If so, I apologize, am ignorant of footy.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Sorry, I screwed up, no spoiler just a typo correction 

Happy to have Schumer as a guest and enjoyed his input.  I get tired of the endless round of show biz guests.  And abs can’t stand the agony aunt pointless questions, so agreed with Whoops today  - what a moronic topic (does spoiling one’s pet translate to child rearing technique?)

Edited by flummoxd
Typo
  • Like 3
39 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Nathan Lane's segment was blink-and-you'll-miss-him length. Personally, they should've cut the previous segment of Whoopi kvetching over Sunny's relationship views the billionth time and given that to him instead.

This is my biggest pet peeve with this show.  We get over 30 minutes of hot topics, which I find unwatchable 90% of the time, and less than 5 minutes of an entertaining celebrity like Nathan Lane.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, flummoxd said:

what a moronic topic (does spoiling one’s pet translate to child rearing technique?)

Working in the office today, so didn't get a chance to watch during lunch. But if this is the Hax column (I get it on The Washington Post), Hax's response to this dude was, Oh, SNAP! because the writer-a dude-kept referring to his girlfriend as "this wonderful girl" and "girl" and how he worries that she's a "helicopter" parent with her dog, and will that same type of control (paraphrasing his words), translate to any kids they may have. It's like, according to him, she doesn't just love her dog, she LOOOOOVES, her dog.

I wouldn't be surprised if these hosts mucked up what the issue is.

13 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Sunny seems fixated on the need for more Black owners of football teams - isn’t that easily resolved by some rich Black person putting his (or her - haha) billions on the barrel head?  Have at, y’all!  Or is there discrimination that limits ownership options?  If so, I apologize, am ignorant of footy.

There's been several Black billionaires interested in ownership.   I'm not sure of all of the limitations, but I do know that ownership is approved by existing NFL owners as well as the NFL itself.   

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
5 minutes ago, After7Only said:

There's been several Black billionaires interested in ownership.   I'm not sure of all of the limitations, but I do know that ownership is approved by existing NFL owners as well as the NFL itself.   

You also need an owner who wants to sell up as well. When was the last time a team changed hands ?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, Glitches said:

I cannot even imagine contacting another parent regarding my child not being invited to a kid’s birthday party. 

With a child over the age of 6 or 7, neither can I!  Ali W. & Sunny, both of whom I like and admire, apparently lack good judgment in child raising.  I’d be humiliated if my parent interfered with my social life as a teen (if not as a 10 year old.) Who wants to be known as the forced guest in the group?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

This is my biggest pet peeve with this show.  We get over 30 minutes of hot topics, which I find unwatchable 90% of the time, and less than 5 minutes of an entertaining celebrity like Nathan Lane.

Haha, I'm the opposite. I enjoy hot topics, but I don't care about most celebs enough to finish the rest of the episode.

• Like 10
  • Applause 4

Sunny’s hair has looked good this week, imo- I like the lighter color on her, also the simpler style.  Alyssa’s also looked great, possibly a “piece?” ( Her hair has appeared considerably thinner on a few occasions.). And really, not to pick on her unduly, but when she first sat down, her skirt barely covered the minimum. That end seat is a killer! After the first break, adjustments had been made, fortunately.

Based on her reaction to Haley today, watching Alyssa defend her favored prez candidates should make for some riveting tv.  How far can she go sans blowing her open-minded cover/bringing down the wrath of Whoops? Or the boobage of Behar?

Edited by flummoxd
Error to correct
On 2/13/2023 at 6:26 PM, 2JEWELL said:
On 2/13/2023 at 11:12 AM, pvandal said:

She tried to act like that fact was unimportant . Can you imagine if aomeone mentioned her Emmy,Grammy and Oscar, but left out the Tony?

AND...so knowledgeable about the turf on a football field...and how BAD and dangerous it was that she actually said she couldn't watch the game. Has she watched games played in blizzards, mud, all kinds of horrible "turf" conditions.  Never heard a peep.  I get SO TIRED of her know-it-all attitude (when she does NOT know), but her fans don't seem to notice.  Also, she has a microphone; will she ever stop yelling at us?  

In addition to crunching...the EGOT is somehow forced to talk with her mouth full or chewing gum... and sometimes she has food when no food is served.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, flummoxd said:

And really, not to pick on her unduly, but when she first sat down, her skirt barely covered the minimum. That end seat is a killer! After the first break, adjustments had been made, fortunately.

Sorry I missed the show...especially for the "adjustments."  I've been wondering if she doesn't sometimes STICK to the seat.  She has great legs and a pretty figure--but Wardrobe should realize apparel THAT short only makes for our comments--and not paying good attention to the topics discussed.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, flummoxd said:
9 hours ago, Glitches said:

I cannot even imagine contacting another parent regarding my child not being invited to a kid’s birthday party. 

With a child over the age of 6 or 7, neither can I!  Ali W. & Sunny, both of whom I like and admire, apparently lack good judgment in child raising.  I’d be humiliated if my parent interfered with my social life as a teen (if not as a 10 year old.) Who wants to be known as the forced guest in the group?

And OFTEN, these little stories are fodder for gossip for YEARS!  The hostess is embarrassed by being contacted, so is the birthday child.  The poor "aggrieved" child might continually be unaware of appropriate behavior because of the type of parents she/he has. The topic will come up next year IF there's another party planned.  

• Sad 1

FYI, Backatcha, the “adjustments” were merely pulling down her skirt on the show side, so it didn’t hover near gawk.

Otoh, apparently Joy popped outa her blouse during a break, so quite the Val. Day for the boys (& girls😉)

The GA congressman that Joy was talking about, the one handing out the gun pins, was the same one that said Jan 6 was like a typical tourist day.

Oh, shut up, Alyssa. There are people with mental health issues all over the world. Quit blaming dead children on the lack of attention on mental health. That talking point is not helpful. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 9
  • Applause 9

Wow, Sunny stuck to her guns (too soon; apparently not soon enough) by insisting, in the face of Alyssa’s  protests, on laying blame for mass shootings on those who oppose any reasonable changes.  (And, b y popular demand, Alyssa’s wearing a maxi dress today.)

It is to laugh. Whoopi saying some designers don’t want you (her?) to wear their clothes…

Edited by flummoxd
Forgot fashion.
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Wow, Sunny stuck to her guns (too soon; apparently not soon enough) by insisting, in the face of Alyssa’s  protests, on laying blame for mass shootings on those who oppose any reasonable changes.  

Whoppi says she’s a responsible gun owner, decries those who amass large quantities of guns, and notes that semiautomatic weapons are useless for hunting - but in the past, she stated that she owned one (AK/AR, whatever), so hypocrisy rules on all sides, sadly.

I didn't find Whoopi's comment hypocritical.  If she's said she has an AK/AR (I don't recall her saying she does) then it's likely for self defense rather than hunting.   There are people out there who unfortunately feel the need to own own to protect themselves from others that have them.   And I'd guess the vast majority of those who do own them are not using them to hunt.   

Alyssa's saying that the left doesn't want to do anything about the mental health aspect of the problem was a stretch (to put in politely).   I wished someone would have pushed her to to list some specific examples.   It seems the little compromise that has happened on the right has been around issues of mental health.  With little compromise on actual access.   

• Like 6
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

Quit blaming dead children on the lack of attention on mental health. That talking point is not helpful. 

If anything should bring more attention to the lack of accessible mental healthcare it's the increase of suicides. What should not be happening is scapegoating people with mental health issues as a whole to skirt by a serious gun issue in the US because so many care about their guns more than actual people.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4

Where was Alyssa today?  Off to re-education?  😉

Whoops seemed quite irritated to be corrected re Austria, not Australia!  Frankly, I’m surprised that she, Jane Fonda, and even perfect Sunny approve of selling their services, in demand due to fame.  Is there a Sugar Mamas they can list with? 

Was Sunny complaining that she/her family didn’t receive 40 acres and a mule - and was Whoopi replying something like, that’s cuz your family wasn’t in the USA yet??  

On 2/14/2023 at 11:13 PM, Back Atcha said:

AND...so knowledgeable about the turf on a football field...and how BAD and dangerous it was that she actually said she couldn't watch the game. Has she watched games played in blizzards, mud, all kinds of horrible "turf" conditions.  Never heard a peep.  I get SO TIRED of her know-it-all attitude (when she does NOT know), but her fans don't seem to notice.  Also, she has a microphone; will she ever stop yelling at us?  

In addition to crunching...the EGOT is somehow forced to talk with her mouth full or chewing gum... and sometimes she has food when no food is served.

I remember when she first started she came out daily munching on something. Perhaps she smoked something that can give you an increased appetite? I go along  with BW’s statement of never letting anyone photography you eating. I think she said she pushed food  around her plate rather than be caught shoveling food in a photo.  
I love Nathan and really like Ali.  I really would enjoy longer  segments with interesting people because I also have enough bracelets , totes and pjs.    
Although I’ve been on a Star Trek set the segment was lost on me and have a tendency not to speak that out loud in most groups.   OT Patrick on Graham Norton was one of the funniest segments ever. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Spell
  • Like 1

As a long time admirer of Raquel Welch with the belief that she was one of the most gorgeous women in the world, I too would have booed Sunny at bring up Kim Kardashian as a comparative sex symbol. Kim is a manufactured being, marketed by social media. Raquel Welch was a genuinely beautiful woman with class.

Edited by Kenz
  • Like 15
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Loved the show today! Well, the last 15 minutes were a bit dull, but I'm not a Trekkie, so... Sunny and Ana both looked really nice.

The funniest moment for me was the audience's reaction to Kim Kardashian being mentioned in the same breath as Raquel Welch, but Ana's diatribe in the first segment about DeSantis wanting to ban the alphabet and breaking into the Mickey Mouse Club theme song was hilarious, too.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

You know Kim Kardashian is probably already trying to buy the fur bikini Welch wore that was so famous. I was thrilled the audience and panel reacted the way they did. It gives me some hope that one day our long Kardashian nightmare may be over. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2

So I'm going to need the full story behind Whoopi's statement of "my family sat on some steps and didn't move until they got their 40 acres and a mule".  I'm not saying that didn't happen, I just need all the details.  

And shows like today's with the full TNG cast are why they keep Whoopi around.  She may be a rambling mess at times, but she has connections and a long history in Hollywood.  This show doesn't get that many A-list guests anymore but I believe the few that they do get are probably due to Whoopi.  

Loved the audience's reaction to Sunny's Kim K comment.  Glad they were having none of that insane suggestion.  I would argue that the reason you don't have sex symbols on the level of Raquel Welch these days is because actresses in general don't let themselves be as objectified and have more control over their roles and what they wear.  Also, the amount of skin Welch showed in her day was a big deal but now it's pretty much par for the course.  

• Like 9

I'm a couple of days behind. 

Loved Ali's story about Barbara Walters' wedding gift.

Thought the whole Liam Neeson interview was embarrassing. He was rather reserved and they kept going on and on about how "hot" he is.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Kenz said:

As a long time admirer of Raquel Welch with the belief that she was one of the most gorgeous women in the world, I too would have booed Sunny at bring up Kim Kardashian as a comparative sex symbol. Kim is a manufactured being, marketed by social media. Raquel Welch was a genuinely beautiful woman with class.

I haven't watched today's episode yet, but I agree. Raquel was naturally beautiful, unique, and elegantly sexy. It wasn't butt implants like Kim K or dressing as provocatively as possible at all times a la J.Lo. I'm not saying these women aren't also beautiful. They absolutely are, but I can't think of anyone modern who compares to the whole package that Raquel had. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

So I'm going to need the full story behind Whoopi's statement of "my family sat on some steps and didn't move until they got their 40 acres and a mule".

Actually, she said "20 acres and a mule".  Is that why she is always pissed off? Because somebody screwed her ancestors out of 20 acres??🤣

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Where was Alyssa today?  Off to re-education?  😉

Whoops seemed quite irritated to be corrected re Austria, not Australia!  Frankly, I’m surprised that she, Jane Fonda, and even perfect Sunny approve of selling their services, in demand due to fame.  Is there a Sugar Mamas they can list with? 

Was Sunny complaining that she/her family didn’t receive 40 acres and a mule - and was Whoopi replying something like, that’s cuz your family wasn’t in the USA yet??  

Alyssa tweeted that she was out sick. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Sunny's Black father is from Georgia who is a descendant of enslaved Africans.  So Sunny is an ADOS so she would be entitled to reparations.  Whoopie as usual was spreading misinformation like she always does.. No Black person has ever received any type of reparation in this country.. I have no idea what the hell that she was talking about..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 7