Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/13/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I have no idea what the hell that she was talking about..

Whoopi has a tendency to contradict anything Sunny says.  That whole discussion from her PoV was weird and made no sense, but if Sunny says her family received no reparations then Whoopi must assert that it is for ~reasons~ because her family did.  Um, what?

• Like 4

Huh.  So turns out Whoopi was kinda right.  I looked it up last night and while there were no reparations given, apparently some Black families were given land in Florida and Georgia through homesteading after the Civil War.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_acres_and_a_mule  So not sure about the "sat on the steps" part, but her family probably did receive land in Florida this way.

As for the whole "40 acres and a mule" thing.  When I was in school (I graduated high school in 2000, for context), we were taught that the US government had told Black people they were getting 40 acres and a mule but then never followed through.  Apparently that's not true.  The entire concept was based on a special field order that Sherman issued to house the thousand of freed people that were following his army during the Civil War.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Field_Orders_No._15  There were a lot of abolitionists and politicians at the time that wanted the recently freed to be given the land they worked as slaves as a form of compensation, but that was never passed into law.  Instead, the government focused on a wage labor system that from what I can tell was supposed to get fair wages for Black people, but instead ended up putting them into more of a servitude situation.  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Useful 4
18 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Where was Alyssa today?  Off to re-education?  😉

Whoops seemed quite irritated to be corrected re Austria, not Australia!  Frankly, I’m surprised that she, Jane Fonda, and even perfect Sunny approve of selling their services, in demand due to fame.  Is there a Sugar Mamas they can list with? 

Was Sunny complaining that she/her family didn’t receive 40 acres and a mule - and was Whoopi replying something like, that’s cuz your family wasn’t in the USA yet??  

unless i missed it, they didn't eve;n mention her absense.  they always do that for the other women

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Sunny's Black father is from Georgia who is a descendant of enslaved Africans.  So Sunny is an ADOS so she would be entitled to reparations.  Whoopie as usual was spreading misinformation like she always does.. No Black person has ever received any type of reparation in this country.. I have no idea what the hell that she was talking about..

Yeah I need more to the story.   Slaves that were owned by Native American tribes in Oklahoma did receive land when they were freed.   Interesting enough the US government forced tribes to do this, while rescinding the promise of 40 acres and a mule for all other slaves.   So maybe Whoopi's peeps were a descendent of slaves in OK.   Or maybe more likely she's confusing some family folklore for fact.   

• Like 7
15 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I'm a couple of days behind. 

Loved Ali's story about Barbara Walters' wedding gift.

Thought the whole Liam Neeson interview was embarrassing. He was rather reserved and they kept going on and on about how "hot" he is.

I thought it was a little cringe-y, too - for the same reasons you mention. 

I'm so torn about this type of thing, because on one hand, I get all kinds of swoony feelings seeing someone like Liam Neeson or even today's guest, Milo Ventimiglia, who are both very handsome, very personable and just HOT (in different ways, though), and can understand Joy and the other women's gushing.  

On the other hand, I get cringes because I keep thinking of what kind of backlash there would be if something like this happened to a female actor/star appearing on a talk show hosted by men.  It would be horrible for the men hosts, possibly career ending.  On top of that, the women of The View would be the loudest voices criticizing the men hosts if that were the situation-especially Joy (whom I love) and Sunny (whom I don't) .  

As a woman, I'm guilty of saying things about certain famous guys that would not be appropriate if said by a man about a woman, so I get it, but I don't - does that make sense?  I think the "Me Too" movement has made me start thinking of these things, and why is it okay for women to gush, bat their eyes, fan their faces (Sunny - I'm looking at you with those actions) and sort of openly flirt with handsome male guests, but guys would be ripped to shreds if they did that with an exceptionally beautiful female guest.

I know it's all done in jest and not serious, but I still feel that if the roles were reversed, the matter would be taken seriously and out of context.  I am also from a generation that was okay with some nice compliments to someone on their looks, outfits, etc., for both women and men from opposite genders, even those compliments that bordered on innuendo or were flat out flirting.  Being a young adult in the late 70's-early 80's taught me how to discern between harmless and not so harmless, and that served me well when I was at the age where it was a concern.

Having said that, I really cannot wait to see Liam Neeson as Philip Marlowe, because of his incredible talent (and, yes, he looks the part, imo) and Milo Ventimiglia's new show looks great.  Too bad ABC is showing it in the proven unpopular time slot of Sunday nights at 10:00 PM.  

Edited by njbchlover
Edited for spelling
  • Like 12

I really enjoyed today’s first segment, re the lawsuit vs Fox “news” - good to finally see some truth spread on a network show!  I especially liked it when Sarah said she didn’t blame the viewers, but those who knew better - and the camera panned to Alyssa.  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, njbchlover said:

On the other hand, I get cringes because I keep thinking of what kind of backlash there would be if something like this happened to a female actor/star appearing on a talk show hosted by men.  It would be horrible for the men hosts, possibly career ending.  On top of that, the women of The View would be the loudest voices criticizing the men hosts if that were the situation-especially Joy (whom I love) and Sunny (whom I don't) .  

Sherri was heavily criticized on this very board for how she acted with male guests. I don't like when women ogle men any more than I like when men ogle women.  It would have been OK if they had said Joy is a huge fan of Liam Neeson and played that clip of her saying his name but they just kept it going and it became cringey.  

As a woman, I'm guilty of saying things about certain famous guys that would not be appropriate if said by a man about a woman, so I get it, but I don't - does that make sense? 

But are you saying those things on national TV?

I think the "Me Too" movement has made me start thinking of these things, and why is it okay for women to gush, bat their eyes, fan their faces (Sunny - I'm looking at you with those actions) and sort of openly flirt with handsome male guests, but guys would be ripped to shreds if they did that with an exceptionally beautiful female guest.

I have never thought it was OK.  I think a lot of men would say they don't like being objectified.  

46 minutes ago, flummoxd said:

I really enjoyed today’s first segment, re the lawsuit vs Fox “news” - good to finally see some truth spread on a network show!

It's been fairly common knowledge that Fox's political preference was based on what was more profitable.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

It's been fairly common knowledge that Fox's political preference was based on what was more profitable.

As the panelists discussed today, that knowledge was not too common in many circles, unfortunately.

• Like 6
23 hours ago, After7Only said:

Yeah I need more to the story.   Slaves that were owned by Native American tribes in Oklahoma did receive land when they were freed.   Interesting enough the US government forced tribes to do this, while rescinding the promise of 40 acres and a mule for all other slaves.   So maybe Whoopi's peeps were a descendent of slaves in OK.   Or maybe more likely she's confusing some family folklore for fact.   

I have always known that some Native Americans owned Black people but I had no idea that they were forced to pay reparations by the government.  White People who owned slaves in D.C. also got reparations after slavery was abolished and the people who were enslaved got nothing. Former slave owners in the Caribbean all got reparations from France, Great Britain and the Netherlands for their financial losses when slavery was abolished and Black people got screwed as always. 

Whoopie's story just made no sense to me.  Florida was once a Spanish colony so were her people brought to Florida as slaves. At some point Florida became part of the United States, did her people continue as slaves under American leadership.   I just took the story as Whoopie trying to make herself be above the whole reparations debate and she also used that opportunity to dunk on Sunny..

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I have always known that some Native Americans owned Black people but I had no idea that they were forced to pay reparations by the government.  White People who owned slaves in D.C. also got reparations after slavery was abolished and the people who were enslaved got nothing. Former slave owners in the Caribbean all got reparations from France, Great Britain and the Netherlands for their financial losses when slavery was abolished and Black people got screwed as always. 

Whoopie's story just made no sense to me.  Florida was once a Spanish colony so were her people brought to Florida as slaves. At some point Florida became part of the United States, did her people continue as slaves under American leadership.   I just took the story as Whoopie trying to make herself be above the whole reparations debate and she also used that opportunity to dunk on Sunny..

It wasn’t necessarily reparations, but the slaves became members of those tribes post slavery (labeled freedmen). Which entitled them to land in Indian territories just like other members.

Also apparently Whoopi wasn’t completely lying.   Years ago she did the PBS show finding your roots and her FL ancestors did receive free land as homesteaders post slavery.   Which was highly unusual for Black people.  So not 40 acres and a mule..but not completely made up.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

Catching up on last week's shows after being away.

Monday

I don't watch football or care much about it, but Sunny's comment about how this showed that black quarterbacks could play at the top levels of the games seemed to overlook that there have been previous black quarterbacks who succeeded at this level - Russell Wilson, for example, who was a star for the Seattle Seahawks for years, and there are a number of others that I am less familiar with.  Whoopi's concern about the field - as someone else pointed out, football games are played in many bad conditions, with rain, snow, freezing temperatures, mud, etc. Be more worried about the injuries due to game play than the field. Injuries to the brain, for example, which can show up well after the player has retired.

Does spoiled dog = spoiled kids - I suspect there are people who treat their pets better than their kids. For one thing, the pet doesn't usually talk back to you. :-) I would imagine that generally kind pet owners are probably going to be generally good parents, but I don't think there's a clear correlation. 

Tuesday

Whoopi - "black Tim Scott" - because there are two Scotts and she would need to use a photo to differentiate them? The first names aren't good enough to indicate who you are talking about? Tim vs. Rick should work for most people. 

UFOs - I know Sunny was playing it for laughs, but the Air Force general "not ruling out" extraterrestrial origins of the latest UAPs/UFOs really doesn't mean that we definitely are (or have been) visited by creatures from another galaxy, and while Area 51 is "real", in the sense that that compound does exist, it doesn't automatically mean that there are alien crafts or creatures there. It just means that the general isn't going to make a knee-jerk comment that of course none of this could have origins that we don't know about. 

Relationship checklists - well, after a certain point in life, I think most people have something, if not a checklist, but an idea of the kind of things that would make a long-term relationship more viable than just lust at first sight. After dating around a bit, you probably realize that someone having a regular job that pays reasonably well is desirable, not just for the money, but because it shows that the person is reliable, stable (mostly), and able to take some care of themselves. To be snarky - maybe if Whoopi had a few more checklists, she would have had better romantic luck.

Nathan Lane - he's so delightful! I wish he had been there longer. I'd definitely meet Nathan at the Four Seasons. :-)

Ali Wentworth - I think she is also very funny. I don't know if her story about calling the mother of her kid's friend was accurate or exaggerated, but it was humorous, and she's right - don't do that. Live and learn, but if you can learn from someone else's mistake, all the better. 

• Like 2

Wednesday

Shooting - Joy says money has to be taken out of politics - not a bad idea; take it all out, not just lobbying for guns. Lobbying in general seems to warp the legislative process. So, get rid of that. In terms of "strict" gun control, at least make sure that the current gun laws are being enforced uniformly and consistently. Sunny, of course, repeats that people with mental health issues are more likely to be victims without at least acknowledging that people who commit these crimes often DO have mental health issues. This isn't a single-factor problem - at least as many people who own guns don't shoot people as people who have mental illness don't shoot people. But a person with a mental illness of some sort who has a gun is more dangerous than anyone who doesn't have either. Sunny just doesn't want to admit that. 

Whoopi somehow thinks this is related to "banning" books, and abortion, somehow. That made no sense. Although I wonder, if she doesn't want the government (in whatever form) to decide what books can be taught, and doesn't want the government to decide if she must carry out a pregnancy, why is she ok with the government telling her what she can own or how many she can own? She owns guns. If she's so sure that getting rid of people's guns is necessary, why does she still have them? I think that she, like many others, thinks that they are responsible, although other people aren't.

Gene therapy - a very tricky issue. I think that like most things, a tool for benign purposes can also be used for bad things. Look for the lowest potential use and decide if you're okay with it or if there's a way to avoid misuse. Plenty of dystopian fiction about this should at least make you think twice.

Liam Neeson - I like him fine, but yes, the fawning and all that was a bit much. However, how the Holocaust ties into issues about including Black history in schools was unclear to me. That was a little bit of a stretch, and I'd think Whoopi would steer clear of Holocaust related topics since she stepped in it last year. My opinion is that Liam wanted to get his new film out there and was gracious enough with the ladies during the interview. 

8 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It’s pretty obviously true, isn’t it?

Yes, we're all more responsible than other people are. Problem is that those people also think they are "responsible", too. I don't think anyone says to themselves that they are irresponsible or thoughtless, or reckless. That is why having objective criteria for bad behavior is necessary, like specific laws that need to be applied uniformly.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, After7Only said:

Years ago she did the PBS show finding your roots and her FL ancestors did receive free land as homesteaders post slavery.   Which was highly unusual for Black people.  So not 40 acres and a mule..but not completely made up.

I think in the View discussion she said "20 acres" and a mule instead of 40.  So it could be 20.  But I didn't understand her explanation.    

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 1

Some thoughts re: Liam..all strictly my opinion of course.  Ok yes so very cringey ugh.  I feel so bad for him.  He has never been the same since Natasha died and the feeling i get is that he just works and works and works to keep busy and pass the time.  You never hear about him being in a relationship.  I think that whole segment made him very uncomfortable.   To me it's like he is just biding his time, raising the boys, until he can be with her again.  Its just so tragic and sad.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6
17 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Some thoughts re: Liam..all strictly my opinion of course.  Ok yes so very cringey ugh.  I feel so bad for him.  He has never been the same since Natasha died and the feeling i get is that he just works and works and works to keep busy and pass the time.  You never hear about him being in a relationship.  I think that whole segment made him very uncomfortable.   To me it's like he is just biding his time, raising the boys, until he can be with her again.  Its just so tragic and sad.

He hasn't been much different on other shows, although there's less of the "Liam is so hot" type of comments. I also saw Harrison Ford in a few interviews and he's not an easy interview, either. Maybe, in addition to his grief, Liam Neeson is tired (and perhaps bored) of having to do these shows and interviews. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I can't say they don't deserve the criticism because they were over-the-top silly about him!!  (I was slightly embarrassed for them.)

I wonder if they'll turn on him now. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I can't say they don't deserve the criticism because they were over-the-top silly about him!!  (I was slightly embarrassed for them.)

I'm glad he called them out.  

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

I wonder if they'll turn on him now. 

They might say they are sorry if he was offended in any way. Joy will probably say as a comedienne which is no excuse.  I think they should have to take a sexual harassment class.  They might not have meant anything malicious but sexual harassment is not about their intent.  It's about the impact of what they did.  And clearly it made an impact on Liam Neeson to the point he brought it up to a reporter.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I get he was probably wanting to talk about something more serious, but fluff shows like The View always do this with their guests unless they're politicians. I imagine they do that because most guests are really only there to advertise whatever they're in currently, and don't want to take the risk of stepping into the crosshairs by talking about serious matters. He'd have to have deliberately steered the interview into a more serious direction like Chastain did the week before, if that's what he wanted.

• Like 2

Of course Fox News is all over this.  I'm guessing Liam Neeson is just as uncomfortable with all the attention to this as he was the interview itself.  He made his point and that should be the end of it.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I get he was probably wanting to talk about something more serious, but fluff shows like The View always do this with their guests unless they're politicians. I imagine they do that because most guests are really only there to advertise whatever they're in currently, and don't want to take the risk of stepping into the crosshairs by talking about serious matters. He'd have to have deliberately steered the interview into a more serious direction like Chastain did the week before, if that's what he wanted.

i had assume that the guest is consulted beforehand about what would be discussed so they wouldn't be put on the spot with the questioning.  guess not.