Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Should I Go Get My Tin Foil Hat?

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

A double murder leads the GBI on a cyber-chase to investigate a software firm’s activity behind closed doors. Meanwhile, Angie does her best to ensure a key witness testifies in her case.

Air date: 02.14.23

• Useful 1

Interesting case of the week.  I thought that Amanda's boss might know something about the backdoor and selling GBI intel.

i just can't believe that the guy that broke the hard drive is willing to take the fall for everything and not implicate the company.  The guy is going away for life x3 (unless the lawyers get him out for the reporter's death but still that is life x2) so the guy is going to spend the rest of his life in jail.

What is an ACU?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

What is an ACU?

ADU - accessory dwelling unit, when you turn your garage into a separate apartment. 

It was definitely a good episode overall, as the show is certainly a quality show, but boy, the bit with the hard drive was annoying. First, that they couldn't stop Faith's ex from sending an e-mail "This is a clean room, but let's not check everyone who walks into it because...reasons" on top of "It's a clean room, but no one stops him the moment he takes his phone out." 

Then, the guy has MULTIPLE opportunities to destroy the hard drive, but only actually does so AFTER a shelf has fallen on him, and then he happens to throw it at JUST the right spot to get crushed by a truck. I mean, come on, show, you're so much better than this! 

• Like 13
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

I thought that Amanda's boss might know something about the backdoor and selling GBI intel.

I still think he knew. I think he decided to throw the rest of them under the bus rather than continue with the conspiracy, since he saw the evidence was no longer staying hidden.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I still think he knew. I think he decided to throw the rest of them under the bus rather than continue with the conspiracy, since he saw the evidence was no longer staying hidden.

It makes sense.  I know I have never worked for a boss who allowed employees to unilaterally change major companies just by announcing it to the old company in a group meeting. 

It had a very "let's wrap the episode up quickly" vibe.

• Like 4

The case of the week was wrapped up a bit too fast, but I really like the episode. The cast is so good and they all have so much chemistry with each other, especially Will and Faith. 

Nice to get a bit more backstory on Faith, her baby daddy seems like a nice guy, I would be happy to see him again. I also think that we will follow up more with Amanda's boss and this tech firm, he clearly seems to know more than he is letting on. I am also guessing that this human trafficking will become more relevant, lots of possible threads to pull on later. 

• Like 16

I actually prefer that they keep Angie and Will a bit separate.  Altho' they 'love' one another, she is toxic for him.

This episode was pretty clear, at least to me, that Will really wants some connections with others.  He and Faith are working out really well as colleagues and the scenes between Will and Nico were loaded with emotion and need on both sides.  Both actors conveyed as much with their expressions as with their lines of dialogue.

While the resolution seemed a bit rushed, I agree that Amanda's boss knows more than he revealed.  He was VERY uncomfortable at the end of that meeting.

Boy, the acting in this series is really excellent.  

• Like 13
  • Love 2

Will and Faith have grown into quite a dynamic duo. I enjoy this COTW.  The way Jess being shot in the diner, that’s disturbing.

I love seeing the softer side of Faith and how she’s behaving around Charles. She’s so attentive and kind to him, it’s refreshing. I wouldn’t mind seeing Charles again.

Angie’s sex trafficking case is so meh, I don’t really care about it.

It’s so nice of Will to invite Nico in but I have one concern though. This latest development could lead to less interactions between Will and Betty since she’ll be spending more time with Nico. Nahhh, I don’t want this…😣 

CA052ABB-058C-4356-91D9-0BF174EC2578.jpeg

• Like 13

I'm not sure exactly why but this episode felt like something that should come later in the show's run.

I loved the upper part of Faith's vest this week (it got weird around the waist). I couldn't tell if it was knitted or woven. She was fantastic with her ex and I also hope we see more of him. Especially with Jeremy. He seemed like a really good dad.

They've mentioned Faith and Amanda knowing each other for a long time and being more than the average mentor/mentee but I wasn't expecting to find out Amanda was so involved in Faith's life when she was 15 (and younger).

Yay for Nico getting a place to live! Hopefully the writers remember to focus on Betty with Will but I like that Nico is getting some support. And that they're going to be learning some useful skills for the future.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:03 AM, greekmom said:

i just can't believe that the guy that broke the hard drive is willing to take the fall for everything and not implicate the company.  The guy is going away for life x3 (unless the lawyers get him out for the reporter's death but still that is life x2) so the guy is going to spend the rest of his life in jail.

I never understand that either. But I imagine he's counting on the company shelling out for a good lawyer and maybe sending money to his family. Plus, he knows they're very capable of hiring assassins. But it's possible he made a deal later.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:17 PM, possibilities said:

Better to keep his hands clean and be in a position to minimize the fallout. As the Director, I imagine he can do a lot to keep names out of the investigation.

• Like 3

It just occurred to me that the really easy fix is to have Faith's ex walk into the room and tell her that he had just sent her the e-mail with the PO Box before coming into the room. That would have solved the problem right there, right? He wouldn't have known about the data breach, and they wouldn't have known that he had sent the info already via e-mail. 

• Like 4

The Will/Faith partnership really has become a highlight of the show.

I liked the whole paranoia 'big brother is watching' concept of the COTW.  The diner murder was really shocking.

I knew intellectually the relationship between Faith and Amanda was quasi-familial in nature and that is probably was long standing.  But Faith lashing out at Amanda brought home just how personal and long-standing their relationship is.  No quasi-familial about it at all, but straight up family-close.

I wasn't sold on the casting for Charles.  He just reads as younger than Faith.  When he first appeared I thought he was a younger brother or a friend of her son's.  Even her interactions with him felt more maternal than those of a parental partner.

The way they were playing it, the Director definitely was aware.  I can only assume that it was just greed that motivated him to look the other way as a software company mined his organization for information that could potentially put his agents in danger. But the company sounded sophisticated enough with their spyware that they didn't need him to be aware.  They could have simply mined all the data and gone about their business.  It sure sounded like maybe no one in IT was even aware that anything squirrelly was going on until this case. 

I still maintain that Angie/Ormewood feel like they are on a different show.  Even their cases feel like easily solved busy work.

I like Will expanding his connection group first with Betty and now Nico and his looking out for Faith.

Good episode.

• Like 7

I'm not a Nico fan.  Of course they have a traumatic backstory and need attention & understanding.  But it's too much too fast.  The taking of the food & the stealing the money don't sit well with me.  No consequences and rewarded with a custom apartment built for them?  Weird. 

Otherwise, I really like the relationships.  Did Angie tell Ormewood his wife knows about them?  I would have to tell him she knows.  That's a time bomb waiting to explode.  

• Like 6

My theory about how Charles comes across so much younger than Faith is that being a mother aged her really much faster, while he was encouraged to keep his freedom and extend his childhood-- but that backfired because his PTSD also caused arrested development, so now he's kind of stuck in a loop. 

But it really was very noticeable how much older she seemed than him.

• Like 16
18 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

It’s so nice of Will to invite Nico in but I have one concern though. This latest development could lead to less interactions between Will and Betty since she’ll be spending more time with Nico.

I don't think you have to worry. Betty will be spending the day with Nico, but at night when Will comes home, Betty will be there waiting for him.

I liked that Will realized fairly quickly if Nico was stealing money, there was a larger issue at work and that was more important and pressing than the $20. As a one time thing under dire circumstances, he is willing to let it go, but I do not think he will be as forgiving if it happens again. 

• Like 10
41 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I'm not a Nico fan.  Of course they have a traumatic backstory and need attention & understanding.  But it's too much too fast.  The taking of the food & the stealing the money don't sit well with me.  No consequences and rewarded with a custom apartment built for them?  Weird. 

Otherwise, I really like the relationships.  Did Angie tell Ormewood his wife knows about them?  I would have to tell him she knows.  That's a time bomb waiting to explode.  

I think they had to move fast with getting Nico installed so Betty could have a caregiver while Will was detecting since he doesn’t have a nine tI five job.  

Just now, Sarah 103 said:

I don't think you have to worry. Betty will be spending the day with Nico, but at night when Will comes home, Betty will be there waiting for him.

I liked that Will realized fairly quickly if Nico was stealing money, there was a larger issue at work and that was more important and pressing than the $20. As a one time thing under dire circumstances, he is willing to let it go, but I do not think he will be as forgiving if it happens again. 

And Nico is learning just how much they can trust Will, and will be more likely to open up.  

• Like 5

I absolutely trust that Betty knows who she belongs to.  Will's her guy.  She will be thrilled to see anyone who will play with her or give her a treat, etc.  But she knows who her 'guy' is - no worries.

I think that Will stepping up for Nico so quickly has a good deal to do with his background.  At the same time Will is no fool and I don't think he will tolerate any 'nonsense'.

We shall see as the season progresses.

• Like 12
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

My only problem with Nico is that there are already too many characters to give them all good content per episode, so introducing side characters who are getting full plotlines is a bit like robbing from Peter to pay Paul. Nico's a fine character, but we probably don't need Nico plotlines when fulltime cast members like Ormewood are getting zero character work in the episode.

• Like 7

Ormewood is boring, though. We've seen his type so often that it's practically a cliche. Nico is interesting-- and Betty likes her! If Ormewood was the dogwalker, that would make him more interesting... but he isn't.

I wish we got more Amanda. 

They do have a lot of characters. It's kind of awesome though that so many of them are actually interesting.

• Like 9
30 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Ormewood is boring, though. We've seen his type so often that it's practically a cliche. Nico is interesting-- and Betty likes her! If Ormewood was the dogwalker, that would make him more interesting... but he isn't.

I wish we got more Amanda. 

They do have a lot of characters. It's kind of awesome though that so many of them are actually interesting.

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of Ormewood, either, but if he's going to be a cast member, they should spend time making him interesting, if he's going to be around no matter what, ya know? 

• Like 8
18 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Nico's a fine character, but we probably don't need Nico plotlines when fulltime cast members like Ormewood are getting zero character work in the episode.

I don't know how old you are, but the running gag in the 80's comedy "Murphy Brown" was for 10 seasons, she had a house painter named Eldon who never seemed to finish the interior of her house over the entire course of the series.  He was 85% background.  That's what the dog walker should be to me.  

• Like 12
  • LOL 1

When Will told Angie about giving Nico a place to live, Angie said something about him starting his own group home. So I absolutely believe his interactions with Nico this episode were rooted in his own background and empathizing with Nico and their situation. Will was bullied both in foster homes via child abuse and also in the group home because we learned other kids called him 'trash can'. He would understand the feelings of weakness and the need to subjugate themselves for protection as Nico did. I think Angie's observation was spot on - he's making his own 'group home' but making it one of safety and non judgy. It's kind of sweet, and shows that, even after all he's endured, he is still kind at heart.

I think as far as Amanda's relationship to Faith goes, I'm guessing Amanda is either her mom's best friend and is 'auntie', or Amanda was romantically involved with Faith's mother and they all remained close after the relationship ended. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
On 2/15/2023 at 12:20 PM, tennisgurl said:

Nice to get a bit more backstory on Faith, her baby daddy seems like a nice guy, I would be happy to see him again.

I thought he was great, charming when not in the midst of PTSD (and he wasn't wrong about being followed) along with good rapport with his son. I want to see more of the whole family together.

On 2/15/2023 at 4:42 PM, kaygeeret said:

While the resolution seemed a bit rushed, I agree that Amanda's boss knows more than he revealed.  He was VERY uncomfortable at the end of that meeting.

Yeah, I think it was definitely played, at every moment in the episode, like he knew about the backdoor and was okay with it.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:23 AM, akg said:

I never understand that either. But I imagine he's counting on the company shelling out for a good lawyer and maybe sending money to his family. Plus, he knows they're very capable of hiring assassins. But it's possible he made a deal later.

I assumed he was the assassin.

On 2/16/2023 at 3:48 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Before my husband retired, when I came home from work, our little fella would be so excited to see me, we'd have to have a tussle with his toys. Then once he retired, all I got was a "what's up" nod (as it were). I was butt hurt, but then again, my husband was his guy.

Excellent episode. I liked very much that the ex with PTSD wasn't actually crazy/having a meltdown and was being followed, and that Faith took him seriously while also keeping the PTSD in mind.

I like Nico, so I'm glad they're going to be living with Will.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

When Will told Angie about giving Nico a place to live, Angie said something about him starting his own group home. So I absolutely believe his interactions with Nico this episode were rooted in his own background and empathizing with Nico and their situation. Will was bullied both in foster homes via child abuse and also in the group home because we learned other kids called him 'trash can'. He would understand the feelings of weakness and the need to subjugate themselves for protection as Nico did. I think Angie's observation was spot on - he's making his own 'group home' but making it one of safety and non judgy. It's kind of sweet, and shows that, even after all he's endured, he is still kind at heart.

I think as far as Amanda's relationship to Faith goes, I'm guessing Amanda is either her mom's best friend and is 'auntie', or Amanda was romantically involved with Faith's mother and they all remained close after the relationship ended. 

Agree, but I think he was more than bullied. There was a scene with Angie a couple of episodes ago where she was pulling at his clothes and you could see the scars.  I think some of his foster homes were pretty bad. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
On 2/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, akg said:

I assumed he was the assassin.

He was definitely the assassin in this episode. I meant, because of this, he knows they'll have no problem hiring his replacement and that he'd be first on the list if he talks.

• Like 5

I have no problems with Nico being IN the show, I just don't want it to revolve around them.   Will & Angie's background is definitely a big part of their relationship, that's fine, but I'm interested in them, their co-workers and the cases they solve.  I'm really hoping the "group home" thing doesn't get traction. 

I really like Faith, and her ex seems like a good guy.  But I don't want him, or Faith's son front & center either.  We've already gotten a good profile of Jeremy, let's move back to Faith.  

I'm not watching this show as a docudrama about how the foster/care system fails the not traditionally gendered residents, or how returning vets are not being supported by the government and have scant resources to deal with PTSD and other traumas.  

I want a cop show, not a 40 minute public service message, no matter how much it's needed & well intentioned. 

I get the need to flesh out their backgrounds & bring in some other small stories & asides, just don't hammer us with every other human misery that's out there.  There's already enough built in. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
On 2/17/2023 at 5:19 PM, leighdear said:

I don't know how old you are, but the running gag in the 80's comedy "Murphy Brown" was for 10 seasons, she had a house painter named Eldon who never seemed to finish the interior of her house over the entire course of the series.  He was 85% background.  That's what the dog walker should be to me.  

I think using Eldon is a great example for another reason. Since both Murphy and Will live alone, Eldon and Nicco give the lead a person to talk to when they come home. For Will, talking to another person at home may lead him to an idea that helps solve the case. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 4
On 2/16/2023 at 3:06 PM, DearEvette said:

I wasn't sold on the casting for Charles.  He just reads as younger than Faith.  When he first appeared I thought he was a younger brother or a friend of her son's.  Even her interactions with him felt more maternal than those of a parental partner.

My problem is that they all look around the same age!  The son looks too old in comparison to Faith.  I know she was a teen mom, but still. 

I have to hand wave, as I love the show anyway. 

Loved the impromptu "group home" at the end. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

My problem is that they all look around the same age!  The son looks too old in comparison to Faith.  I know she was a teen mom, but still. 

I have to hand wave, as I love the show anyway. 

Loved the impromptu "group home" at the end. 

I checked on IMDB. The actress who plays Faith was born in 1990 and her “son” born in 1996.  Her ex was born in 1988. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 7

I love the little bits they do on the show.

Last episode was when Will and Faith did their best impressions of rock stars when they sang to the crescendo of She’s Gone. This episode was when Will told the police officer that his fly was down. When the officer glanced down he then said “ made you look “ and then continued his regular conversation.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

I'm a week behind, just watched this, and wanted to comment on "made you look." I found that absurdly funny and I'm still laughing.  It was unexpected and a perfect response to the police officer's comment. It's been a long time since I've read any if the books, but remember that some of the crimes were gruesome.  I'm glad to see some lighthearted moments and am enjoying the cast.

• Like 7

I loved Will taking Nico home, and that Faith's ex-partner is a good guy. I wasn't giving my full attention, because I haven't been feeling well, so I can only really remember that. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
4 hours ago, Anela said:

I loved Will taking Nico home, and that Faith's ex-partner is a good guy. I wasn't giving my full attention, because I haven't been feeling well, so I can only really remember that. 

Hope you feel better soon.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

Hey Clanstarling, I only hear that term one place...do you listen to the Sports Junkies?

Nope (I'm anything but...) 😉 However, I grew up in the military and my dad was from the south. I imagine it comes from one of those sources. Or books, I love to read and will pick up phrases I like.

Edited by Clanstarling
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Nope (I'm anything but...) 😉 However, I grew up in the military and my dad was from the south. I imagine it comes from one of those sources. Or books, I love to read and will pick up phrases I like.

As a veteran who started at Fort Knox Kentucky back in the 82 I would say it is a good chance you did pick up butt hurt from that source.

• Like 1