Type keyword(s) to search

Farmer Wants A Wife - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Four farmers from across the country embark on the adventure of a lifetime in the hopes of finding their future spouse. Women will leave behind the dating apps and pursuit of love in “the big city” in favor of classic American courtship. Each farmer will take their group of daters to their farm and show them what it is really like to live as ranchers do—from tending to the homestead to feeding cattle and baling hay. For the daters, the realities of this lifestyle may beg the question: how much of your life are you willing to change for love? 

Premieres March 8, 2023 on Fox.

• Like 2

I've been curious about this show. Plus I like cows and we'll seeing plenty of them on this show.

I think one of the women should have shown up in jeans and farm boots, or cowboy boots.

• Like 2

This farmer has nice horses. And the first Lady he talked to told him about her pony.

This first woman talking to Landon, cattle rancher, seemed spacy.

There are four farmers looking for a wife. Each has eight women assigned to him for speed dates. Then he was to narrow his group down to five.

• Like 2
(edited)

I’m thinking all of these women just watched Yellowstone and want their very own Rip. It seems weird that they specifically said these are all city girls. Why not some from rural areas or small towns? They obviously want people that won’t fit well together.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
46 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I’m thinking all of these women just watched Yellowstone and want their very own Rip. It seems weird that they specifically said these are all city girls. Why not some from rural areas or small towns? They obviously want people that won’t fit well together.

I've watched YEARS of one of my favorite shows, AMERICA'S HEARTLAND.  I also enjoy Magnolia Network's, "Ranch to Table."

The family life is outstanding on these shows; HOWEVER, the physical energy and commitment to CONSTANT challenges that the farm families have to face is significant and I wonder how many of these "lovelies" plucked out of the general population by the show's producers are up for the challenge!

• Like 5

I’ve watched five or six seasons of the Australian version and I enjoyed it a lot. It was very realistic in how it portrayed farm life and the cast were very down to earth for the most part with some zany ones, and women who couldn’t live more than 20 miles from their injectors. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 3/9/2023 at 9:07 AM, LakeGal said:

They could have called this show Rancher Wants a Wife.  All the cowboy hats and boots are more ranch-like than farmers.  

None of these guys are farmers.  The horse breeder, for example, owns 48 acres--which is a lovely little rural property to graze a few horses next to your house and stable.  He would never claim to be a farmer, and if he did, a real farmer would laugh and roll his eyes.

I think the producers just got way too caught up in the old nursery rhyme, trying to be clever.  But does anyone except boomers even remember hi-ho-the-derry-o anymore?

On 3/9/2023 at 3:39 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

I’ve watched five or six seasons of the Australian version and I enjoyed it a lot. It was very realistic in how it portrayed farm life and the cast were very down to earth for the most part with some zany ones, and women who couldn’t live more than 20 miles from their injectors. 

Injectors?  Lip plumpers or tasty briney herbal solutions into turkeys?  Heh, never mind.

I don't know why the Australian versions of these reality shows are always so much better, but they are.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, candall said:

Injectors?  Lip plumpers or tasty briney herbal solutions into turkeys?  Heh, never mind.

I don't know why the Australian versions of these reality shows are always so much better, but they are.

Because they don't have the FCC to deal with & Australians for the most part don't get their panties in a bunch over sweary words & deeds like some very loud & influential Americans do.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I bet all these women tried out for the Bachelor and were rejected, so came here. I don’t think any of them really want to live on a farm. The men are ok but I don’t think Alan understood what the show was about. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, Maya said:

I bet all these women tried out for the Bachelor and were rejected, so came here. I don’t think any of them really want to live on a farm. The men are ok but I don’t think Alan understood what the show was about. 

I was particularly struck by the young lady with the ombre blue hair (or maybe it was pink...don't recall) whose daughter also had that distinctive "look."  Not sure farm life is conducive to such urban frivolities but noticed that the farmer seemed very "taken" by her.

The farmers seemed out of their depth with the format of the show but I love to see life on a farm (watched the PBS show "America's Heartland" for years) so I intend to tune in again!

• Like 2

I bet all these women tried out for the Bachelor and were rejected, so came here.

I think the "farmers" are along for the reality TV ride and hoping for some nookie from desperate wife-candidates. (A la The Bachelor) 

All the cowboy hats and boots are more ranch-like than farmers.

And a southern affectation. Some of my relatives are southern farmers, and the hats and cowboy boots began to appear about 20 years ago. (However, the hats/boots have always been common in southwest Louisiana, which is across the river from TX.)

I love farm-ish shows and I watch real ones on YouTube. But this show is awful.

Jennifer Nettles has fallen a long way. Given her extremely successful career, what is she doing on this dreck?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Jennifer Nettles has fallen a long way. Given her extremely successful career, what is she doing on this dreck?

Please indulge my ignorance.  I never heard of Jennifer Nettles.😊

• Applause 1
6 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Please indulge my ignorance.  I never heard of Jennifer Nettles.😊

Grammy(s) winner lead singer in country group Sugarland. 

I guess they couldn't find any farmers to participate. These men are ranchers and cattle breeders. They are not farmers.

I can't wait to see how these women deal with being in the middle of nowhere with no malls, coffee shops, or nail salons.

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

I guess they couldn't find any farmers to participate. These men are ranchers and cattle breeders. They are not farmers.

I can't wait to see how these women deal with being in the middle of nowhere with no malls, coffee shops, or nail salons.

My guess is that the producers thought dealing with cows and horses would make for better TV than viewers watching farmers planting soybeans and corn.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

In addition to three Grammys and other awards, Nettles has appeared on Dolly Parton's TV shows, plus Righteous Gemstones and Harriet; the Broadway cast of Chicago and the lead in Waitress; and a bunch of other stuff.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 3

My husband, having grown up on a farm, saw I was watching this, went into the bedroom came back out wearing his cowboy hat, sat down on the couch and said the same thing, “these guys aren’t farmers”. But, we’re watching. 

• LOL 6
14 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

My husband, having grown up on a farm, saw I was watching this, went into the bedroom came back out wearing his cowboy hat, sat down on the couch and said the same thing, “these guys aren’t farmers”. But, we’re watching. 

Exactly this! My husband is a farmer...a real one! When the "farmers" were talking about their 'spread" we were laughing at the fact that our garden in almost bigger. 😁😁😁

• LOL 6

Looking forward to watch tonight's show to see everyone's farm/ranch. Am glad that one left last week. Did not like her and wonder why she signed up for this in the first place.

• Like 3

Hey! They show people eating on this show! Unlike some other shows...

I like hearing the horses in the background.

I wonder how all the women will fit in some of these houses. One guy's place is pretty small.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Like 3

It's so dry they're already supplementing with hay. Normally that time of year there should be plenty of grass in the pastures. It wasn't quite that dry in Minnesota last fall, but the hay was out earlier than usual.

I'm sure the farmer has a bobcat or some vehicle for bringing hay out to pasture.

But with all the snow we got this winter (and are still getting) we'll be in good shape for the gardens and pastures.

• Like 3

I really like Ashley R. Outside of her, they all seem like the same person with different names to me so far. 

Other than Sloan that is. Didn’t like her. I’m glad she got sent home. 

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

I skipped the Bachelor this season and I am glad I get to see some normal guys try to find normal girls.  The high maintenance ones will all be gone in a couple of weeks, although there still may be some girls who love their big city lives, but see their futures with a solid guy and a bunch of kids on a farm/ranch/ranchette.  

• Like 3

I still don't remember any of the women's names.  I laugh at the ones that spend so much time getting fixed up in their sky high boots with short tight skirts to go and sit outside on the ranch.  I believe most of the guys would prefer if they cut back on the primping.  

• Like 4

Were they not given any guidance as to how to dress? Or were they told to be sexy. Most of the clothes are so inappropriate. I cringe when I see their shoes in the mud. Some aren't prepared for the climate either. I wish I could remember which state each "farm" is in. Some look like fall but others not so much.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, retired watcher said:

Were they not given any guidance as to how to dress? Or were they told to be sexy. Most of the clothes are so inappropriate. I cringe when I see their shoes in the mud. Some aren't prepared for the climate either. I wish I could remember which state each "farm" is in. Some look like fall but others not so much.

They just can't help themselves. They want to look sexy for the men when a pair of jeans and t-shirt will do. Also boots. Lol

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Really interesting that they didn't have to send people home even though the note told them to. The one woman, Sloane?, who was sent home, just wasn't a fit for life on a farm/ranch as she basically just stood around after Allen (?) asked the women to put the wood in the bucket.  Way to stand out.  I'm not convinced the woman who spoke one-on-one with another rancher/farmer about being uncomfortable on reality t.v. will actually leave.  

Love the cows, horses, dogs, etc.  The animals alone make this so much more interesting than other reality dating shows.

• Like 4
On 2/1/2023 at 10:37 AM, Jane Tuesday said:

As someone from farm country, I'm morbidly curious to see what reality TV thinks farm life looks like, and how many insulting stereotypes they can fit into each episode. Ugh...

So... not really insulting, just inaccurate?

As several have said these guys are NOT farmers, and they don't live on farms. It's not just the hats and buckles, it's literally in the words they use. Farmers don't have "spreads", for example. These guys are ranchers, and that's fine, but it's whiplash every time they're forced by the premise to mention "farming". I guarantee you not one of these guys ever referred to his place as a farm before coming on this show. There's a clear line between farming and ranching. I don't know anyone who would bop back and forth between the two. 

If they wanted livestock, plenty of farmers have livestock, and even horses for pleasure riding. You want cute animals and guys with no time for dating? Try dairy farmers. (But no sane city woman would sign on to that life. lol) That one guy was absolutely right about dating apps and why they don't really work in farm/ ranch country. 

Jennifer Nettles, I love you. You deserve better than this show, and better than that dress.

Random thoughts from the first episode:

• From the preview, one of the women in a future episode: "You can't date five women!" Spare me your outrage. You're on a dating reality show.
  • "Feel my heart!" Oh, geez...
  • "Guys in Miami aren't country." Ya think?
  • Cold? Maybe wear something that ends more than an inch below your butt? I'm not sure if it was actually cold, or they just had the blankets so they could record without having to worry about shooting up all the short skirts.
  • How does somebody with a kid have time to do this show?
  • Wandering hogs? Surely a photo op. Those pigs would make a mess of that yard in 30 minutes.
  • Can't believe the woman got picked who didn't know what ag(riculture) is, even after he gave her the full word.
  • Woman with the hair: "I can't believe we'll be staying here." Not staying here, LIVING here. Way to be obvious you're not really serious.
  • One guy being awkward just tells me he's a normal human. The woman who turned him down almost seemed like a plant, or like she was trying to go viral. Her explanation didn't really make sense.
  • Either way, that was rough. It was a really nice gesture to invite his "last chance" pick on the first date. I think he'll end up being a good one.

On to stereotypes, I'm going to record the most ridiculous "country-fried" sayings on the show that no one under the age of 80 actually says: 

"Cuter than a speckled pup in the shade of a wagon wheel!"

"Nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs!"

They may as well have followed up with a "Golly gee whillickers!"

Sticking with it, though. Nobody seems truly awful (yet). On to episode two. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I wish I could remember which state each "farm" is in.

I looked them up, because I couldn't remember their names: 

• Hunter (Georgia)
  • Ryan (North Carolina)
  • Allen (Tennessee)
  • Landon (Oklahoma)

Sadly, not nearly as much to snark on the second episode! 😀 

Hunter:  My favorite rancher has swapped over to Hunter. That thing he said about how some days suck and then a calf is born? "The highs and the lows and the roller-coaster ride in between"? Yep, that's the life, right there. And that beautiful truck! (I was going to protest that he would never use it for chores, but I think he was actually getting it ready for their date.) I hope Meghan sticks around, because none of the rest of his picks made any impression on me.

Ryan:  Even though in both cases the ladies were the ones to make it physical, Ryan comes off as a bit of a player. I feel like we haven't seen him have one genuine conversation with anyone. We'll see.

Allen:  Two episodes in, he's coming off more "distant" than "awkward". This all seems like it's very transactional for him. Like he's auditioning to find the best "farm wife" and not even considering that he should be trying to put HIS best foot forward. I did respect that he sent Sloane home, though. She was... not a good fit. Cassidy Jo should have bailed, too. She is 100% not okay with him being divorced (and that's her prerogative). 

Landon:  He's a non-entity to me at this point. From his group, Ashley R. continues to give me the impression that she isn't taking this seriously. She has a kid, and parents who she's close enough with to leave her kid with them for six weeks. (But she left fun packs!) She even mentioned her "great support system". She's going to leave that support system, take her kid, and move several states away for some guy on a reality show? I don't buy it. (Her parents probably don't, either.)

General:

Why do these guys all have dorm-style housing in their homes? It's all shiny new, too, and decorated like something in Cowboy Monthly. If it wasn't for Allen's ex-painted cabinets, I'd think it was all producer-created.

WTF with unrolling the hay. I'm not saying it's impossible, but usually you feed it using a tractor, still "rolled up", with a big metal ring over it so the cattle don't just walk all over it. Even the cows seemed befuddled. Our cows would have you surrounded so fast you'd never be able to do that. 

Interesting that they didn't have to send anybody home. I'm guessing it's just a one- time reprieve. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 3/17/2023 at 2:08 AM, Jane Tuesday said:

Cassidy Jo should have bailed, too. She is 100% not okay with him being divorced (and that's her prerogative). 

Blonde bombshell Cassidy Jo probably isn't long for this show.  Her over-the-top entry as First Choice was all "outgoing, self-confident, fun, and Church of Christ," and now she breaks down on "a reality show" because SHE expects to be kissed (and no onw has ever turned her down).  Is her "medical sales" job at a local CVS or Walgreens (filling in at the makeup counter)--rather than a professional calling on medical practices?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 3/16/2023 at 12:45 AM, azprimadonna said:

I skipped the Bachelor this season and I am glad I get to see some normal guys try to find normal girls.  

YOU skipped The Bachelor this season, but most of these Farmer's Wife applicants did not.  "Can I steal you for a minute?"  "She got a rose???"  "I'm not here to make friends, I'm here for ________." (although no one said exactly that).

On 3/10/2023 at 5:35 PM, Maya said:

I bet all these women tried out for the Bachelor and were rejected, so came here.

I agree.  They learned typical lines of every female contestant on The Bachelor--memorized them--and then tried to appear genuine while "stealing"old/sad lines and antics from the show.

Also, how was "giving a leg up" a pun?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Blonde bombshell Cassidy Jo probably isn't long for this show.  Her over-the-top entry as First Choice was all "outgoing, self-confident, fun, and Church of Christ," and now she breaks down on "a reality show" because SHE expects to be kissed (and no onw has ever turned her down).  Is her "medical sales" job at a local CVS or Walgreens (filling in at the makeup counter)--rather than a professional calling on medical practices?

Cassidy Jo looked so...cheap. I don't know if it was the lighting or she just has terrible taste in make up or what, but she looked very low rent.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
On 3/23/2023 at 12:42 PM, mertensia said:

Cassidy Jo looked so...cheap. I don't know if it was the lighting or she just has terrible taste in make up or what, but she looked very low rent.

And her "performance" at the end of the show was DEFINITELY low rent.  Why do those women go on national television and display all their guilts, misgivings, jealousies, and "poor me, poor me, poor me" disappointments??  Can't they at least hold it together for a few hours of filming?  Go cry in your bunk bed!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 5

I don't watch The Bachelor or any of those shows but my parents are ranchers and wanted to watch this, so here we are.  They don't get that channel at their house (in the boonies) so I tape it and we watch when they are here.  So I'm behind. 

That one woman, no idea of name, who was kind of freaked out and thought this was all strange and maybe she ought to go home?  The only normal woman in the bunch and he should be seriously looking at her.  All the rest of it is ridiculous.  Landon (I think) is probably the most normal man in that he's not all cheesy smarm and it makes his personality seem a bit of a bump-on-a-log.  That's the farmers/ranchers I grew up with.  And whoever ends up with him needs to understand that's what life is going to be.  

We also noticed all the houses were not old "farmhouse" types of homes.  They were all newly built, almost looked like manufactured or modular homes.  So these are not "landed gentry" type guys and hopefully the women they pick have job skills that can transfer anywhere because they are going to need them.  Farming/ranching/existing is expensive.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1