Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

(edited)

So it's been a minute since I've been in these threads that I didn't even know there are now three. And to be honest, I'm not sure I understand the best place to post this. 

But I just wanted to share this brilliant piece from Vox about the Angelina/Brad/Jennifer triangle that highlights what I've been saying for damn near forever - that Brad is the one who won in this mess and got to walk away unscathed and still does.

I also liked that the author broke down the specifics of the recent legal drama with him and Angelina. Because the amount of bullshit and misinformation I read in comments on social media whenever it's reported on (and the media often reporting on it with their obvious bias doesn't help) is staggering. 

Brad Pitt Was the Only Winner of the Aniston-Jolie Tabloid Battle

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, cynicat said:

Celebrity Rehab clearly doesn't have the best track record...

Celebrity Rehab Deaths

Well, considering the damage done to their bodies, it’s not surprising.

You can get sober, but the damage is already done.  My father was a 30yr alcoholic.  When he finally got sober, he looked 20 yrs older than his actual age.  At one point his stomach had to be partially resectted and the doctor told me that his body is essentially 10 yrs older than his numeric age.

Hubby and I were discussing Sizemore last night, and this very point came up, as Tom was only 61.

I hope his demons are finally at rest for such a talented man.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Let me now praise Tom Sizemore, who could play a hero or a scumbag, and make you believe him.

My favorite moment of his: in Saving Private Ryan, the squad is in earnest discussion over The Mission, and there’s passion in the dialogue, and Tom Hanks won’t shut up — and there’s Sizemore’s Horvath: chewing gum & grinning & not saying a word, and suddenly you don’t notice anyone else.

Flights of angels, Tom.  Thanks for Mike Horvath, Black Hawk Down’s McKnight, and all those years of all those unforgettable performances.  I imagine Cagney and Garfield meeting you at the gates!

• Like 9
On 3/2/2023 at 7:08 PM, truthaboutluv said:

So it's been a minute since I've been in these threads that I didn't even know there are now three. And to be honest, I'm not sure I understand the best place to post this. 

It all still confuses me.

• Like 4
(edited)

I mostly associate Tom Sizemore with domestic violence, and I think the only thing I've seen him in is Heart and Souls -- that is a charming film in which the whole cast does a great job.  One of my favorite moments is when Milo (Sizemore's character) rights his wrong; the look on his face when the guy finally realizes what's been left for him is perfectly acted.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
  • Useful 3
58 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I mostly associate Tom Sizemore with domestic violence, and I think the only thing I've seen him in is Heart and Souls -- that is a charming film in which the whole cast does a great job.

I love that movie. And you're right the whole cast was great.  Sizemore.  Robert Downey Jr.  Kyra Sedgwick. Charles Grodin.  Alfre Woodard.  I watch it every few years.

He was in so many movies I had forgotten about.   I remembered he was in Heat but forgot he did an uncredited role in Enemy of the State.

He was a character actor who got really famous.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Gary Rossington, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Last Original Member, Dead at 71

Can't say I was ever a Skynyrd fan but I did love the Rossington-Collins Band. 

Freebird the live version is one of my absolute favorite songs.  I've told my son I want it played at my funeral.

I saw them in concert in 1988 and they were good but the problem with a Sknyrd concert is you have to stay for the encore because it's always going to be Freebird.

• Like 7
(edited)

Actor Sara Lane who portrayed the orphaned frontier girl Elizabeth Grainger in the TV series The Virginian and a teenage phone prankster in the film I Saw What You Did and Know Who You Are has died, age 73. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2023-03-06/sara-lane-death-virginian-elizabeth-grainger-breast-cancer

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/sara-lane-dead-virginian-1235342118/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 7
(edited)
14 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I wonder if it's meant to be a variation on Leonidas, the Spartan king. 

My one grandson is named Leonidas, but after the rose, not the king! We call him Leo. (5 Granddaughters, one Grandson!)

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 5
On 3/6/2023 at 2:34 PM, MissAlmond said:

Sara Lane who portrayed the orphaned frontier girl Elizabeth Grainger in the TV series The Virginian and a teenage phone prankster in the film I Saw What You Did and Know Who You Are has died, age 73. 

Aww!  I catch The Virginian periodically on INSP and it's a nice little show (and ran almost as long as Bonanza and also filmed in color from beginning to end).  Despite the periodic changing cast, Elizabeth was a sweet, spunky character. 

RIP Miss Lane.

• Like 3

Iconic Fiddler on the Roof star Topol dies. I

In a pairing that a matchmaker would surely appreciate, Topol by his own estimation connected with Tevye more than 3,500 times over more than four decades, starting with a Hebrew-language production in his home country when he was 30...

“How many people are known for one part? How many people in my profession are known worldwide? So, I am not complaining,” he said in a 2015 interview. “Sometimes I am surprised when I come to China or when I come to Tokyo or when I come to France or when I come wherever and the clerk at the immigration says, ‘Topol, Topol, are you Topol?’ So yes, many people saw it [Fiddler], and it is not a bad thing.”

And his other best known role as Dr. Hans Zarkov in the camptastic 1980 Flash Gordon

• Like 1
  • Sad 16
  • Useful 1

One of the first movies I ever saw on our newfangled VCR was Fiddler on the Roof.  I loved Topol in that and was surprised to see him in something else made around that same time and realized he wasn't actually an overweight older man - he was incredibly convincing in the role!  RIP Topol. 

• Like 11

From the story about Topol: 

He landed the lead in Jewison’s film version at United Artists despite lobbying by Mostel, Rod Steiger, Danny Kaye and Frank Sinatra to play the part.

I cannot imagine Danny Kaye or Frank Sinatra as Tevye.  Never in a million years.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 6
(edited)

RIP, Topol.

You were a brilliant actor... and an undercover hottie (seriously, I couldn't take my eyes off him in Flash Gordon).

And your Tevye was every bit as good as Zero Mostel's. Yeah, I said it, fight me, Broadway purists!!!

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

RIP, Topol.

You were a brilliant actor... and an undercover hottie (seriously, I couldn't take my eyes off him in Flash Gordon).

And your Tevye was every bit as good as Zero Mostel's. Yeah, I said it, fight me, Broadway purists!!!

The part in Flash Gordon when they basically made him relive his whole life backwards was so disturbing.

But as corny as it was, I loved how he outsmarted them:

And you're right he was pretty attractive in this one, although I was initially too busy ogling Sam Jones and Timothy Dalton to notice lol ;)

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 6

I'm really sad to hear about Topol. I admittedly only know him from Fiddler on the Roof, but I rewatched it earlier this year after not seeing it for probably 15 years, and he is so good in it. 

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

From the story about Topol: 

I cannot imagine Danny Kaye or Frank Sinatra as Tevye.  Never in a million years.

This reminds me of early casting for The Godfather in which the studio thought Robert Redford, Warren Beatty or Ryan O'Neal would be a better fit for Michael Corleone than Al Pacino. . . . 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 3
Just now, Zella said:

This reminds me of early casting for The Godfather in which the studio thought Robert Redford, Warren Beatty or Ryan O'Neal would be a better fit for Michael Corleone than Al Pacino. . . . 

I recently read the book Leave the Gun Take the Cannoli and the mini series the Offer, both about the making of the Godfather and yes they had to fight to cast Al Pacino. Actually they had to fight to cast just about everyone they wanted.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm really sad to hear about Topol. I admittedly only know him from Fiddler on the Roof, but I rewatched it earlier this year after not seeing it for probably 15 years, and he is so good in it. 

Danny Kaye at least was Jewish and his parents immigrated from almost the same geographical region as Anatevka.  I can see why the studio would have considered him.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Danny Kaye at least was Jewish and his parents immigrated from almost the same geographical region as Anatevka.  I can see why the studio would have considered him.  

I'm admittedly not super familiar with Danny Kaye, but Frank Sinatra as Tevye sounds really terrible. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1

Now I want to watch Flash Gordon again. My friend and I saw it when it came out and forever after we would spontaneously sing "Flash! Fla-ash" to each other or suddenly shout "Gordon's alive!". I love Brian Blessed. When I see the phrase "force of nature" or "larger than life", he's the person I think of. Completely delightful to share a meal with (some friends and I met him at a con when he was at the table next to us). Life is always a celebration with him.

But about Topol... I had the great fortune to see Zero Mostel as Tevye on stage and he was amazing. But he definitely would've overwhelmed everything else on screen in the film.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, ABay said:

I love Brian Blessed. When I see the phrase "force of nature" or "larger than life", he's the person I think of. 

I do too. My alarm for years has actually been him shouting Shakespeare at me. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Hugs 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Peacefully, surrounded by family.  If only he'd given Bonny Lee Bakley the chance to do the same.

Definitely one of those times when I'm struggling to say RIP.

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Peacefully, surrounded by family.  If only he'd given Bonny Lee Bakley the chance to do the same.

Yeah I was trying to think of what to say when I posted the link but words failed me, so I figured I'd just post it without further elaboration. 

• Like 8