Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

On 8/31/2024 at 8:24 AM, Blergh said:

How sad for the Bridges family to lose their matriarch but I'm thankful that Mrs. Bridges lived to see her younger son turn his life around after nearly having it destroyed (I'll let others connect the dots). RIP, Mrs. Bridges!

I follow Todd Bridges on IG and he appears to be a very resilient person. I'm also glad Mrs. Bridges got to see Todd turn his life around.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

James Darren has died. 😔 I had a crush on him when I was a kid.

I had a crush on him too!  I used to watch old movies a lot and a favourite of mine was Gidget.  Moondoggie you will be missed 😢.

• Like 9
  • Love 3

I first heard of James Darren from the movie Hey There, It's Yogi Bear, where he sang Yogi's voice during my favorite song "Ven-e, Ven-o, Ven-a". I wish YouTube hadn't taken the clip from the movie down because Boo-Boo tells Yogi that he sounds just like James Darren.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Love 3
On 8/25/2024 at 12:03 PM, merylinkid said:

Even people with no children and very little assets should have an attorney.   I had a case where they had no kids, short marriage, agreed on assets, so they wrote the agreement up themselves.   Except the cars were jointly titled and there was no provision for retitling the cars.    They were just like "yeah everyone keeps the car they are driving."   One of them came to me when the filing was rejected by the court because you have to file the agreement WITH the complaint and they didn't do that.  (see even when all is in agreement, you still have to get the filing right).    I had to point to that if the other caused an accident with "other" car if their name was still on it they could be sued too.    Even if they were divorced.   So client paid me to redo the agreement right AND get the filing done right.   I charged a small flat fee because it was so simple.   Cheaper than if they hadn't done it and something came up down the line.

I work in a Circuit Court and sometimes sit in on family court cases.  About half of the people who file for divorce without attorneys are just fine and rightfully saved themselves the lawyers' fees.  The other half-ish, not so much, which is why our Family Magistrate, who hears all divorce matters first, sends all unrepresented parties up to talk to the Family Law Assistance Clinic to make sure they've filed everything correctly before she'll hear the uncontested divorces.

• Useful 9

Oh they'll get the divorce.   It's the after divorce that's the problem.   Spouse 1's name still on the car because there is no requirement to retitle and Spouse 2 gets into an accident, both spouses are being sued.

Spouse 1 on still on title, Spouse 2 doesn't pay the mortgage, both spouses take a hit to their credit.   Court can't help because there is nothing about refinancing or holding Spouse 1 harmless.

Custody - "as we mutually agree" then someone gets mad because the other parent started dating again/bringing new people around the kids and suddenly won't agree on custody.   Courts can't make someone agree.   

It's not just getting a divorce, its making sure you can move on without the other person messing up your life.    For the rest of  your life, not just the day the divorce is granted.   

Yeah even with lawyers there are problems, but they are a lot less likely if there is an agreement written by a lawyer in the first place.    We do this every day, you are doing this (hopefully) once.   the chances of you getting it right are much less than a lawyers.

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
15 hours ago, ProudMary said:

James Darren has died. 😔 I had a crush on him when I was a kid. I was too young to remember him from Gidget, but I loved watching him on TV in the late '60s on The Time Tunnel.

Also on TJ Hooker. But yeah, he's Moon Doggie. *sniff* to me.

• Like 8

I saw James Darren in Vegas years ago.  He was the opening act for a show I was at.  He leaned down and tasted my drink.  He was very swoon-worthy.  

• Like 3
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Oh they'll get the divorce.   It's the after divorce that's the problem.   Spouse 1's name still on the car because there is no requirement to retitle and Spouse 2 gets into an accident, both spouses are being sued.

Spouse 1 on still on title, Spouse 2 doesn't pay the mortgage, both spouses take a hit to their credit.   Court can't help because there is nothing about refinancing or holding Spouse 1 harmless.

Custody - "as we mutually agree" then someone gets mad because the other parent started dating again/bringing new people around the kids and suddenly won't agree on custody.   Courts can't make someone agree.   

It's not just getting a divorce, its making sure you can move on without the other person messing up your life.    For the rest of  your life, not just the day the divorce is granted.   

Yeah even with lawyers there are problems, but they are a lot less likely if there is an agreement written by a lawyer in the first place.    We do this every day, you are doing this (hopefully) once.   the chances of you getting it right are much less than a lawyers.

In our court, the cases which come back over and over almost always have attorneys in them.  Doesn't seem to help much here.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Ah, James Darren. Gidget Goes Hawaiian used to pop up on television all the time during my younger days. I believe TCM shows it occasionally now. I can hear Darren's voice singing: When the Gidget goes Hawaiian, she goes Hawaiian all the way. BTW I was an adult when I fully realized what Moondoggie was implying. Shame on him!  I'll also admit I totally shipped Darren's and Heather Locklear's characters on T.J. Hooker. 

James Darren was yummy in his turtleneck on The Time Tunnel and the man still had it in the 2017 film Lucky. May he rest in peace. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

I loved James Darren as Vegas lounge singer Vic Fontaine on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He released two CDs of standards afterwards.  I still listen to them. Losing him and Roger Cook from This Old House so close together makes me sad.  I will always hear “hardscape” and “arborvitae” with Roger’s accent.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
44 minutes ago, squeezel said:

I loved James Darren as Vegas lounge singer Vic Fontaine on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He released two CDs of standards afterwards.  I still listen to them. Losing him and Roger Cook from This Old House so close together makes me sad.  I will always hear “hardscape” and “arborvitae” with Roger’s accent.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 5

Miss Almond, thank you so much for that clip, one of my favorites.  At the end of one episode, Vic asks the gang to leave his program running because he feels like singing some more.  Such a sweet reference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
On 9/4/2024 at 11:25 AM, MissAlmond said:

Ah, James Darren. Gidget Goes Hawaiian used to pop up on television all the time during my younger days. I believe TCM shows it occasionally now. I can hear Darren's voice singing: When the Gidget goes Hawaiian, she goes Hawaiian all the way. BTW I was an adult when I fully realized what Moondoggie was implying. Shame on him!  I'll also admit I totally shipped Darren's and Heather Locklear's characters on T.J. Hooker. 

James Darren was yummy in his turtleneck on The Time Tunnel and the man still had it in the 2017 film Lucky. May he rest in peace. 

James Darren also went Hawaiian in the movie Diamond Head, where they cast him in yellowface as a native Hawaiian.  I watched that one on TCM some months ago.  Quite the soap opera. 

• Like 4

Brazilian musician Sérgio Mendes dies aged 83.

The Brazilian musician Sérgio Mendes, who brought bossa nova to an international audience in the 1960s with his band Brasil ’66, has died aged 83.

In 1964, Mendes moved to Los Angeles, signed with Capitol Records, and formed the band Brasil ’65. After releasing two albums that met with low sales, the group recruited two singers, Lani Hall and Bibi Vogel, to sing in English, and renamed themselves Brasil ’66. Produced by Herb Alpert, the album went platinum thanks in part to the success of single Mas Que Nada, which he would re-record in 2006 with the Black Eyed Peas.

In 1968, Mendes reached a wider audience when he performed The Look of Love on the televised Academy Awards broadcast, and Brasil ’66’s version of the song hit the US Top 10. Mendes helped produce music for the animated films Rio and Rio 2, and was nominated for an Oscar for best original song in 2012 for Real in Rio. He also won a Grammy for best world album for Brasileiro in 1992.

• Like 1
  • Sad 19
(edited)

Herbie Flowers, bassist on Lou Reed’s Walk on the Wild Side, dies aged 86.

Flowers also featured on other rock hits, including for David Bowie, T Rex, Bryan Ferry, and Elton John.

He was also a founding member in 1969 of the band Blue Mink, which had chart success with the songs Melting Pot and The Banner Man. In the late 1970s, Flowers founded the instrumental prog rock band, Sky, recording and performing with the band until 1995, releasing seven albums. Other records featuring Flowers include Bryan Ferry’s The Bride Stripped Bare, Paul McCartney’s Give My Regards to Broad Street, and Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of the War of the Worlds.

Edited by Palimelon
  • Sad 9

This HURTS.

I know he was 93. I know he wasn’t going to live forever, but dammit, he was such an icon. I could go on and on about all his legendary roles, but I have a soft spot for his Big Bang Theory cameo and this moment in particular:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 19

I didn't realize he was 93.  I loved him in everything.  From 'Roots' to 'SW' to 'House' to 'Field of Dreams' and more.

RIP to a true legend.

• Like 5
  • Sad 8
  • Love 3

Oh, this one hurts. What an incredible voice Mr. Jones had.  There are at least a dozen things I could point to, but honestly, the first thing I think of with him  is his recitation of parts of The Raven on the original Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 7
  • Applause 1

Well now Vader is truly dead.

This one really hurts. He was Vader. The voice. No one else could ever have been the voice of Vader.  This is both heartbreaking and devastating.  Not James Earl Jones.

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 8
  • Angry 1
(edited)

Top ten things that sound cool when spoken by James Earl Jones...

"James, nice to see you. Thank you very much."

*Well-known James Earl Jones intimidating stare.*

Edited by WritinMan
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 13
(edited)

Mr. Jones was brilliant as Jack Jefferson in The Great White Hope.  He was nominated/robbed for Best Actor in this masterpiece.  Should TCM show this as an in rememberance program, do yourself a favor and see this.

Another great role was as Rupert 'Roop' Marshall in Claudine.  He courted the lively Diahann Carroll in this 70's classic.

Loved the BBT cameo, that was cute.

Now you and your beautiful wife Cecilia are reunited....rest in power, great life, sir.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
(edited)
13 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Top ten things that sound cool when spoken by James Earl Jones...

"James, nice to see you. Thank you very much."

*Well-known James Earl Jones intimidating stare.*

The “meow meow meow meow” one had me howling.

37 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

I know it's not him doing the voice, but this is something I will always think of when thinking of JEJ.

They could’ve gotten his real voice for all the times he did cameo, including my favorite:

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

Yes, I'm very sorry to hear of Mr. Jones's passing even though he got to 93 AND achieved so MANY achievements few folks would have thought possible back in 1931 (BTW, he was born on Betty White's birthday- albeit  eight years later- I wonder if they ever celebrated their joint birthday . .. or met in person?)!

OK, I'm going to go against the flow re what his most memorable performance. IMO, it was when he guested as himself on Sesame Street  and recited the alphabet in 1970. I'll bet there was an entire generation  of us kids who learned it a LOT faster than otherwise thanks to his .. .unforgettable emphases !

RIP, Mr. Jones!

• Like 13

One of my favorite James Earl Jones stories is when he talked about traveling cross-country one time and used 'Darth' as his CB handle.  He spoke as Vader, which freaked truck drivers out so much he had to stop. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 20
46 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

One of my favorite James Earl Jones stories is when he talked about traveling cross-country one time and used 'Darth' as his CB handle.  He spoke as Vader, which freaked truck drivers out so much he had to stop. 

That is amazing :D. I love that. 

• Like 7

I saw a notification pop up on my phone, but I could only read "James Earl Jones. . ."

My heart sank. I knew how old he was and what the news likely was and sure enough, my fears were confirmed.

That VOICE.

RIP.

• Sad 11