Type keyword(s) to search

Oppenheimer (2023)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Reminds me of the TV series Manhattan that aired on WGN America back in 2014.

I do get a wee bit tired of seeing Cillian Murphy in Nolan's films though.

I watched it, too.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2023 at 9:56 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

In case anybody is interested, the Oppenheimer story was told earlier in the 1989 film "Fat Man and Little Boy". "Oppenheimer" looks like a better film though.

As well as a BBC series aired in America on Masterpiece Theatre on PBS in 1982 starring a pre Law & Order Sam Waterson

Saw this today in a matinee, in the smallest cinema ever (it had 5 rows!) and apart from the idiot who brought a noisy plastic bag full of snacks, no-one dared breathe or move during the Trinity test scene. Or through most of the movie. As soon as it ended I raced to my car to beat the crowds, but then ended up staying for 15 mins because I couldn't breathe. I was stunned, feeling anger and despair all at once. Then two hours later I was teary-eyed on my sofa.

What a tour de force. Murphy acts with such restraint, less is very much more with him; however I swear he smiled more in this than in all 6 series of Peaky Blinders - it was unnerving at times! I did a wee fist-pump when Strauss got rejected by the senate. Emily Blunt was in 'Girl on the Train' mode and I was totally on Kitty's side re: Teller. I feel like I need a few days to digest this and then maybe I'll tackle Barbie. This movie is gonna stick with me for a while.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Wee S said:

I did a wee fist-pump when Strauss got rejected by the senate.

One thing that confused me, Alden Ehrenreich's character seemed to be an aide to Strauss, but was so antagonistic to him during the confirmation hearing. Did he not know Strauss was a POS?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

One thing that confused me, Alden Ehrenreich's character seemed to be an aide to Strauss, but was so antagonistic to him during the confirmation hearing. Did he not know Strauss was a POS?

I thought he was just a senate aide in general; there to guide him through the process and somewhat ambivalent to begin with. But as he copped on to the true Strauss throughout the process and about how Strauss been the one behind Oppenheimer's fall due to his jealousy, then he just went full tilt. Rem what Strauss said 'power stays in the shadows' - I took that to show he'd kept his POS-ness well hidden until he couldn't no more because his arrogance wouldn't allow it.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

23 hours ago, Wee S said:

I thought he was just a senate aide in general; there to guide him through the process and somewhat ambivalent to begin with. But as he copped on to the true Strauss throughout the process and about how Strauss been the one behind Oppenheimer's fall due to his jealousy, then he just went full tilt. Rem what Strauss said 'power stays in the shadows' - I took that to show he'd kept his POS-ness well hidden until he couldn't no more because his arrogance wouldn't allow it.

Yeah, he seemed more of a Senate aide and not for Strauss directly like Strauss had brought him in or he had been assigned to help him through the nomination. To me, the character became an audience stand in because we also came to realize Strauss's true nature as vindictive and petty.

• Like 7
(edited)

What a haunting, thrilling, tragic piece of cinema. I couldn’t move after it was over. I had to sit. I had to process it. I had the chance to see this on 70mm, and I cannot recommend it enough. It was captivating to watch on screen. The Trinity Test scene may be the greatest piece of filmmaking I have ever seen on the screen.

The performances were top notch. Everyone was fantastic in their roles. I loved playing the game of “which actor was in the Batman trilogy?”

Give Cillian the Oscar. He was Oppenheimer.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 5
On 7/24/2023 at 6:21 AM, AimingforYoko said:

I am so here for the Alden Ehrenreich-assance! 

• Like 2

It might sound silly to say that I didn’t really know what the movie was going to be about, but I really had no idea the scope of it and that so much was actually about what happened after the Manhattan Project. I was absolutely captivated the entire three hours after being nervous on the front end I might start getting antsy. I saw it in 70mm and it was pretty breathtaking.

The performances were remarkable. Cillian Murphy was extraordinary, and the rest of the cast were great in their roles (especially Downey).

New Mexico is one of my favorite places and on a trip there maybe 7-8 years ago I ended up on the road to Los Alamos. I had no idea that you had to pass through security just to drive into town - giving them IDs, car search, the whole nine. It was a memorable experience and it’s wild to see how it started and what it is today. (Also shout out to my favorite Judy Blume book, Tiger Eyes - also set in Los Alamos - which inspired the pit stop much more than the Manhattan Project if I’m being totally honest if very teenage girl about it all.)

• Like 12

Saw the film tonight. It was very compelling and equally confusing in terms of the structure of the story. One of my friends thought it might've helped if dates and names of characters were flashed on the screen. (I get that the structure issue was supposed to be helped by the color vs. black and white, but it wasn't enough.)

Another issue we had -- the only IMAX theater in the city showing commercial films right now is at one AMC theater. (There would be at least one other place normally, but it's under renovation.) I don't know if this is a problem with AMC or what, but the sound was incredibly loud THROUGHOUT the film. People had to put their fingers in their ears and my friend went to talk to the management only to be told that the previews are loud but the sound would be decreased during the actual movie. It wasn't. We literally got a message on one of my friend's Apple watch that the sound levels we were hearing were potentially damaging. For the first time in my life, I thought I would have to walk out of a film because it was too loud.

(Oh, and the AC wasn't working too well either and it was in the high 90s most of the afternoon and evening.)

it's a credit to the film that everyone stuck it out despite the sound being almost unbearable and the AC being wonky.

I'll look forward to seeing this someday on my TV or perhaps reading the book it's based on just so I can understand all the nuances better and not have my eardrums blown out by simple dialogue and music.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1

Saw this tonight to complete the Heimer portion of the Barbenheimer circuit. Liked the Los Alamos portion, but words cannot adequately express how little I cared about any of the “courtroom” scenes. Give me the version that ends right after he meets Truman, please. 
Or better yet, give me the Coen Brothers adapting Richard Feynman’s Los Alamos’ tales. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2

Just got home and stunning movie. 

My first reaction is how well the score and sound design are. When the test was successful, even though the characters were cheering, the music was not celebratory and made for a nice contradiction.

The second is the acting and there's no way Cillian doesn't win Actor at the Oscars.

Third is the pacing. It's a three hour movie and never dragged.

Finally, an anecdote. So my first French teacher growing up is a granddaughter of Arthur Holly Compton and I'm friends with two of her daughters. One is named after him and was annoyed the movie didn't include him. The scene where Oppy visited Einstein in the woods to ask about the 'will the chain reaction blow up the world' question was with Compton in reality. I'm not bothered by this to be clear but, since Oppy did reference Compton's discovery that light contains waves and particles, they could have made the visit work. Holly also mentioned she thinks Henry Cavill could have played him which I think could work as he was a good looking man. 

Anyway, great movie.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Compelling from end to end.  A lot of movies don't justify their run time but this one did.  And for a movie were so much time devoted to physics talk and government hearings it never dragged.  I want to see it again because there were some things in the middle, like with Borden, that I was a little lost about until it looped back around at the end.  I would like to rewatch the entire thing now knowing the context.  And speaking of going back to see it a second time, I had a choice to see 70 mm or IMAX and I chose 70 mm.  Wasn't disappointed but now I can go see it in IMAX as well. 

There is no way to tell a story about the Manhattan Project and the atomic bomb without stirring up controversy and I think even the best faith conversations about it require a ton of nuance.  Nolan seems to present these scenes as pragmatically as possible and as someone else pointed out, while there are characters who are reveling in a triumph the movie itself isn't.  He toes a very thin line and I think it worked.

• Like 5

“Masterpiece” is one of those words that gets tossed around way too freely, and yet this movie truly is.   I’ve actually never seen a Christopher Nolan film before; this one is impeccable.  Now I’m on the waitlist for the book that was its source material.

Cillian Murphy (again, have never seen him act before) is outstanding.

• Like 3

I finally got around to seeing this today and it was amazing.

I don't have a problem with loud movies, so my issue wasn't so much that the volume was too high, but that the score and sound effects were so loud that many times, I had a hard time hearing the dialog.

The score was used perfectly and the acting was fantastic. Murphy and RDJ are understandably getting accolades, but I need to give Emily Blunt a shout out. Just that final shot of her alone was really impactful. Personally, I'd give all three of them an Oscar nomination.

Speaking of actors, I loved all the big names they got, even for smaller parts. It was like this generation's JFK in that regard.

I'll need to see it again, though, because there were so many moving parts and characters involved that I had a hard time following it at times, even though I understand the situation overall (plue the issue with the dialog getting drowned out-that didn't help, either).

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I need to give Emily Blunt a shout out. Just that final shot of her alone was really impactful.

At first I thought she was merely fine, then it was like she changed gears halfway through and was terrific!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I finally got around to seeing this today and it was amazing.

I don't have a problem with loud movies, so my issue wasn't so much that the volume was too high, but that the score and sound effects were so loud that many times, I had a hard time hearing the dialog.

The score was used perfectly and the acting was fantastic. Murphy and RDJ are understandably getting accolades, but I need to give Emily Blunt a shout out. Just that final shot of her alone was really impactful. Personally, I'd give all three of them an Oscar nomination.

Speaking of actors, I loved all the big names they got, even for smaller parts. It was like this generation's JFK in that regard.

I'll need to see it again, though, because there were so many moving parts and characters involved that I had a hard time following it at times, even though I understand the situation overall (plue the issue with the dialog getting drowned out-that didn't help, either).

I was just coming to say I saw this again today and it's much easier to connect all the puzzle pieces together on second viewing.  Like you said, so many names and moving parts to keep track of.  And while I followed the plot overall, there were some blink and you miss it moments that completely flew over my head the first time. Plus, I was able to experience it better on second viewing. The Trinity sequence was even more engrossing.  And terrifying.  It's hard to say the detonation of a nuclear weapon is "understated" but Nolan knew how to let the moment speak for itself.  Imagine that scene in the hands of Michael Bay or someone.  I'm glad people are opting to see this in the theater.

Re:  Emily Blunt.  I've always been a fan of hers and between the Devil Wears Prada, Sicario, and Mary Poppins she should have at least one nomination already.  I hope this is the breakthrough for her.  I think Murphy and RDJ are locks.  Kind of out of left field but I was really into the performance given by the man playing Oppenheimer's counsel.  His exasperation and incredulous reactions were on point.  It's a bit of a thankless role but he stood out to me.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 9

I saw this today and I was utterly exhausted from an event yesterday but it utterly enraptured me. I knew the general story but not the details and now I need to go read the book. The cast, the writing, the score, it was all spot on.

• Like 3

Finally carved three hours out of my day and saw this yesterday.  Coincidentally, it poured the rain here at the same time it poured the rain on screen.

The movie itself was really well done.  Definitely a Christopher Nolan joint, and just beautifully shot, especially the bomb exploding.

Like many of you above, I was initially confused by the time jumps, and I also had problems keeping track of who was who.  But all the actors really inhabited their roles.  Robert Downey Jr. was almost unrecognizable, and no doubt enjoyed being someone other than Tony Stark.  Sometimes I forget what an excellent actor he is.  

I was also impressed by the historical accuracy.  It is apparently true that Truman referred to Oppy as a crybaby, and also that Kitty refused to shake hands with, um, Teller?  Like I said, I had trouble keeping track of names!  I do wonder, and couldn't find out, whether or not they really called him "Oppy".  Seems kind of casual.  

• Like 1

Unless it's a very simple movie, I usually have a hard time following plots and keeping everybody straight even when the story is told linearly, so comments here made me decide to do a little reconnaissance to give myself a leg up.  I've noticed that reviews at rogerebert.com tend to spill a lot of ink detailing plots, so I went there and wouldn't you know, I get to the middle of the review and it says:

This review hasn't delved into the plot of the film or the real-world history that inspired it, not because it isn't important (of course it is) but because—as is always the case with Nolan—the main attraction is not the story, itself but how the filmmaker tells it.

The one time I want the plot detailed, this is what I get.  Argh.

On 7/29/2023 at 6:52 PM, scarynikki12 said:

The scene where Oppy visited Einstein in the woods to ask about the 'will the chain reaction blow up the world' question was with Compton in reality. I'm not bothered by this to be clear but, since Oppy did reference Compton's discovery that light contains waves and particles, they could have made the visit work.

The physics and astronomy reporter for the New York Times did an interview with Christopher Nolan, and asked who came up with the will-the-chain-reaction-blow-up-the-world calculation.  He said it was Teller, adding:

One of the few things I’ve changed is it wasn’t Einstein who Oppenheimer went to consult about it, it was Arthur Compton who directed an outpost of the Manhattan Project at the University of Chicago. But I shifted that to Einstein.

And Einstein is the personality people know in the audience.

I feel bad for Holly.  But now when I do see the movie, I'll be thinking of her during that scene.  And never give a second thought to any of Einstein's kids.  So there's that.

• Like 3
On 7/30/2023 at 1:23 PM, kiddo82 said:

Compelling from end to end.  A lot of movies don't justify their run time but this one did.  And for a movie were so much time devoted to physics talk and government hearings it never dragged.

Agreed. I thought the interwoven flashback structure would make it harder to follow than it proved, for me, in the end. And I was a bit worried that the soundtrack would have Nolan’s usual punishing volume. Though some of the dialogue was a bit hard to catch, it worked. (Maybe I had extra reason to be on the edge of my seat, listening intently?) There were moments where the tension was building almost unbearably. I think the structure of the telling added to that sense of uncertainty— even though we know the outcome. (Though I confess much of the story of the ruin of Dr. Oppenheimer’s reputation was new to me.) The complex structure also meant, I think, that the question of when Dr. Oppenheimer’s moral qualms arose might have been harder for the audience to answer precisely, leaving us feeling something of his confusion and doubt. I thought that was a nice detail.

I loved the casting throughout. Emily Blunt was brilliant, as were Murphy and RDJ. (So many faces I recognized, it became a little bit of “Hey, It’s That Guy” funtime, without actually taking me out of the story, if that makes sense.) Florence Pugh’s Jean is sort of sketched in, but she’s a compelling enigma. Josh Hartnett surprised me with the strength of his performance. But Tom Conti was maybe my favourite piece of casting of all — it’s little more than a cameo, but it’s a lovely, surprising choice: in the midst of the story’s darker turns, he seemed to capture the impish quality that Einstein was reputed to have, without ever sliding into caricature or broad comedy. 

I thought it was thrilling. I want it to win awards by the fistful. 

Edited to add: Does anyone know if Göransson’s score quoted from John Adams’s Doctor Atomic? I thought there might’ve been points where I heard something I knew — though I don’t know that work by heart, or anything. 

Edited by Sandman
Nerd alert!
  • Like 2
On 7/29/2023 at 4:31 AM, Fukui San said:

Liked the Los Alamos portion, but words cannot adequately express how little I cared about any of the “courtroom” scenes. Give me the version that ends right after he meets Truman, please.

I felt the same way. 

The courtroom section really dragged, especially since it kept the film from answering my biggest question:  How did Oppenheimer feel about the bomb once it had been unleashed?  He seems to have been good at compartmentalizing, able to conceive and build a bomb without thinking about what that bomb would do to living human beings.  Unfortunately, people in the film only asked him about potential regrets during the trial, where he was careful not to say too much so he wouldn't risk his security clearance. 

I don't doubt that the trial was a defining part of Oppenheimer's experience as a scientist and even a person, but it was not the right setting to explore his ethical reaction to building the bomb and launching the nuclear age (which is what I wanted to learn more about).

I checked out American Prometheus from the library and hope the actual biography answers my questions more directly.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Oppenheimer received 8 Golden Globe nominations (including one for RDJ) during this morning's announcements...

Golden Globes 2024: See All the Nominations Here
BY KATEY RICH   DECEMBER 11, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/golden-globes-2024-see-all-the-nominations-here 

... The 81st Golden Globe Awards will air live on CBS and stream on Paramount+ on Sunday, January 7, 2024, at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET.
Best Motion Picture – Drama
Anatomy of a Fall
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
The Zone of Interest

Cinematic and Box Office Achievement
Barbie
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3
John Wick: Chapter 4
Mission: Impossibles - Dead Reckoning Part One
Oppenheimer
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama 
Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon
Colman Domingo: Rustin
Barry Keoghan, Saltburn
Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
Andrew Scott, All of Us Strangers
Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
Jodie Foster, Nyad
Julianne Moore, May December
Rosamund Pike, Saltburn
Da'vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Willem Dafoe, Poor Things
Robert de Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling, Barbie
Charles Melton, May December
Mark Rufalo, Poor Things

Best Director 
Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Greta Gerwig, Barbie
Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Celine Song, Past Lives

Best Screenplay 
Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach, Barbie
Tony McNamara, Poor Things
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Eric Roth and Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Celine Song, Past Lives
Justine Triet and Arthur Harrari, Anatomy of a Fall

Best Original Score 
Jerskin Fendrix, Poor Things
Ludwig Goransson, Oppenheimer
Joe Hisaichi, The Boy and the Heron
Mica Levi, The Zone of Interest
Daniel Pemberton, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Robbie Robertson, Killers of the Flower Moon

Edited by tv echo

The Critics Choice Is ‘Barbie’ With 18 CCA Nominations; ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘Poor Things’ Follow With 13 Each
By Pete Hammond    December 13, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/12/critics-choice-film-nominations-2023-1235665954/ 

... Still, the other half of the “Barbenheimer” dynamic summer duo, Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer grabbed an impressive 13 nominations, the same number given to Searchlight’s Poor Things, with both solidly in the race for Best Picture honors from the group that has shown an uncanny ability in past years to be a strong predictor of Oscar glory. Just one step behind was Martin Scorsese’s Killers Of The Flower Moon which racked up 12 noms, continuing its impressive showing on the critics awards circuit this season.

(edited)

Oppenheimer got 1 nomination for 2024 Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards...

Nominations Announced for 11th Annual Guild Awards
IATSE Local 706    January 2, 2024
https://local706.org/nominations-for-11th-annual-guild-awards/ 

The Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild has announced nominations for the 2024 MUAHS Guild Awards. Winners will be honored at the awards gala, presented by Ardell, on Sunday, February 18, 2024 at Fairmont Century Plaza, Los Angeles, CA. The MUAHS Awards represent a spectrum of outstanding achievements in 23 categories of make-up and hair styling artistry in motion pictures, television, commercials, music videos and live theater. The announcement was made by Julie Socash, IATSE Local 706 President.
FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE:
2. Best Period and/or Character Make-up

Barbie
Ivana Primorac, Victoria Down, Maha Mimo,

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
Alexei Dmitriew, Nicole Sortillon, Amos Samantha Ward, LuAndra Whitehurst

Maestro
Siân Grigg, Jackie Risotto, Elisa Tallerico, Nicky Pattison-Illum

Oppenheimer
Luisa Abel, Jason Hamer, Kerrin Jackson, Jamie Loree Hess

Poor Things
Nadia Stacey

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer won 4 Astra Awards, which were previously known as the HCA Awards (after the Hollywood Critics Association rebranded itself as the Hollywood Creative Alliance)...

‘Barbie’ Wins 8 Astra Awards from Hollywood Creative Alliance (HCA)
Erik Anderson January 6, 2024 
https://awardswatch.com/barbie-wins-8-astra-awards-from-hollywood-creative-alliance-hca/ 

Universal Pictures’ Oppenheimer scored four wins; Best Director, Best Score, Best Sound, and Best Cinematography. Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 4 and Sony Pictures’ Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse each received three wins with John Wick: Chapter 4 grabbing Best Action Feature, Best Editing, and Best Stunts while Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse won Best Animated Feature, Best Voice-Over Performance, and Best Visual Effects.
Best Director: Christopher Nolan – “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)
Best Cinematography: Hoyte van Hoytema, “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)
Best Score : “Oppenheimer,” Ludwig Göransson (Universal Pictures)

Best Sound : “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer got 1 nomination for 2024 Costume Designers Guild Awards... 

Costume Designers Guild Reveals 2024 CDGA Nominations: ‘Barbie’, ‘Oppenheimer’ & More
By Erik Pedersen     January 4, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/costume-designers-guild-awards-2024-nominations-1235694710/ 

See the full list of nominations for film, TV, shortform costume design and costume illustration below. The 26th CDGA ceremony is set for Wednesday, February 21, at NeueHouse Hollywood.
Excellence in Period Film
Killers of the Flower Moon – Jacqueline West
Maestro – Mark Bridges
Napoleon – Janty Yates & Dave Crossman
Oppenheimer – Ellen Mirojnick
Poor Things – Holly Waddington

Also, Oppenheimer got 1 nomination from the Set Decorators Society of America for its SDSA Film Awards 2023...

https://www.setdecorators.org/sites/setdecorators/pdf/2023_SDSA_Awards_Film_Press_Release_Nominations_Annoucement_1-5-24.pdf 

SDSA AWARDS FILM 2023 NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED

LOS ANGELES, January 5, 2024—The Set Decorators Society of America, An International Organization, announces the nominations for the SDSA Awards Film 2023, celebrating excellence in the art of Set Decoration for films released in 2023, selected from four (4) categories.
Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Period Feature Film
KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
Set Decoration by Adam Willis with Production Design by Jack Fisk
MAESTRO
Set Decoration by Rena DeAngelo SDSA with Production Design by Kevin Thompson
NAPOLEON
Set Decoration by Elli Griff with Production Design by Arthur Max
OPPENHEIMER
Set Decoration by Claire Kaufman SDSA with Production Design by Ruth De Jong
POOR THINGS
Set Decoration by Zsuzsa Mihalek with Production Design by James Price & Shona Heath

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer won 5 Golden Globes...

‘Oppenheimer’ & ‘Poor Things’ Win Top Movie Prizes At Golden Globes – Complete Winners List
By Erik Pedersen   January 7, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/2024-golden-globes-winners-1235697375/ 

Best Motion Picture – Drama
Oppenheimer (Universal Pictures)
Best Original Score – Motion Picture
Ludwig Göransson (Oppenheimer)

Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Cillian Murphy (Oppenheimer)  
Best Director – Motion Picture
Christopher Nolan (Oppenheimer)
Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Robert Downey Jr. (Oppenheimer)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer got 4 nominations for SAG Awards...

Nominations Announced for the 30th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards®
The SAG Awards® Ceremony will Stream Live Globally Saturday, Feb. 24 Only on Netflix

January 10, 2024
https://www.sagawards.org/media/news/releases/nominations-announced-30th-annual-screen-actors-guild-awardsr

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role 
BRADLEY COOPER / Leonard Bernstein - "MAESTRO" 
COLMAN DOMINGO / Bayard Rustin - "RUSTIN" 
PAUL GIAMATTI / Paul Hunham - "THE HOLDOVERS" 
CILLIAN MURPHY / J. Robert Oppenheimer - "OPPENHEIMER" 
JEFFREY WRIGHT / Thelonious "Monk" Ellison - "AMERICAN FICTION"
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role 
STERLING K. BROWN / Clifford Ellison - "AMERICAN FICTION" 
WILLEM DAFOE / Godwin Baxter - "POOR THINGS" 
ROBERT DE NIRO / William Hale - "KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON" 
ROBERT DOWNEY JR. / Lewis Strauss - "OPPENHEIMER" 
RYAN GOSLING / Ken - "BARBIE"

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role 
EMILY BLUNT / Kitty Oppenheimer - "OPPENHEIMER" 
DANIELLE BROOKS / Sofia - "THE COLOR PURPLE" 
PENÉLOPE CRUZ / Laura Ferrari - "FERRARI" 
JODIE FOSTER / Bonnie Stoll - "NYAD" 
DA’VINE JOY RANDOLPH / Mary Lamb - "THE HOLDOVERS"
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture 
AMERICAN FICTION ...
BARBIE ...
THE COLOR PURPLE ...
KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON ...
OPPENHEIMER ...

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Christopher Nolan was nominated for a Directors Guild of America Award...

DGA Awards: Christopher Nolan, Greta Gerwig Among 2024 Nominees
By Rebecca Rubin   Jan. 10, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dga-award-nominees-2024-1235867465/ 

The winners will be announced at the DGA Awards on Feb. 10 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills.
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Theatrical Feature Film for 2023:

Greta Gerwig
“Barbie” (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Yorgos Lanthimos
“Poor Things” (Searchlight Pictures)

Christopher Nolan
“Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)

Alexander Payne
“The Holdovers” (Focus Features)

Martin Scorsese
“Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films / Paramount Pictures)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer was nominated for an Art Directors Guild Award and a Cinema Audio Society Award... 

Art Directors Guild Awards Nominees: ‘Barbie’, ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘John Wick: Chapter 4’ & More
By Erik Pedersen    Jan 9, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/art-directors-guild-awards-2024-nominees-list-1235700210/ 

Winners will be announced February 10 at Ovation Hollywood’s Ray Dolby Ballroom. The late production designer Lawrence G. Paull, a Blade Runner Oscar nominee whose credits also include Back to the Future and Romancing the Stone, will be inducted into the ADG Hall of Fame during the ceremony. 
PERIOD FEATURE FILM

Asteroid City
Production Designer: Adam Stockhausen

Production Designer: Jack Fisk

Maestro
Production Designer: Kevin Thompson

Napoleon
Production Designer: Arthur Max

Oppenheimer
Production Designer: Ruth De Jong

Cinema Audio Society Unveils Nominations for the 60th Annual Awards, Recognizing Excellence in Sound Mixing for 2023
JANUARY 9, 2024    WRITTEN BY: CINEMA AUDIO SOCIETY
https://cinemaaudiosociety.org/cinema-audio-society-unveils-nominations-for-the-60th-annual-awards-recognizing-excellence-in-sound-mixing-for-2023/ 

The 60th CAS Awards will be held on Saturday, March 2, 2024 at the Beverly Hilton. Tickets will be available at www.cinemaaudiosociety.org on Monday, January 15th.
The 60th Annual CAS Award Nominees for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing are:

MOTION PICTURES – LIVE ACTION

Barbie
Production Mixer – Nina Rice
Re-Recording Mixer – Kevin O’Connell CAS
Re-Recording Mixer – Ai-Ling Lee CAS
Scoring Mixer – Peter Cobbin
Scoring Mixer – Kirsty Whalley
ADR Mixer – Bobby Johanson CAS
Foley Mixer – Kevin Schultz

Ferrari
Production Mixer – Lee Orloff CAS
Re-Recording Mixer – Andy Nelson CAS
Re-Recording Mixer – Tony Lamberti
Re-Recording Mixer – Luke Schwarzweller CAS
Scoring Mixer – Andrew Dudman
ADR Mixer – Matthew Wood
Foley Mixer – Giorgi Lekishvili

Production Mixer – Mark Ulano CAS
Re-Recording Mixer – Tom Fleischman CAS
Re-Recording Mixer – Eugene Gearty
Foley Mixer – George A. Lara CAS

Maestro
Production Mixer – Steven A. Morrow CAS
Re-Recording Mixer – Tom Ozanich
Re-Recording Mixer – Dean A. Zupancic
Scoring Mixer – Nick Baxter
ADR Mixer – Bobby Johanson CAS
Foley Mixer – Walter Spencer

Oppenheimer
Production Mixer – Willie D. Burton CAS
Re-Recording Mixer – Gary A. Rizzo CAS
Re-Recording Mixer – Kevin O’Connell CAS
Scoring Mixer – Chris Fogel CAS
Foley Mixer – Tavish Grade
Foley Mixer – Jack Cucci
Foley Mixer – Mikel Parraga-Wills

Edited by tv echo

Some 90 minute movies feel like an eternity.  This 3-hour movie felt just right.  Absolutely compelling the whole way through.  I'm very late to the party on this one, but it 100% lived up to its hype.

Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Robert Downey Jr., Florence Pugh, Matt Damon - all excellent.  Really, everyone in it was great.  A tragic, sobering and very fascinating movie.  

• Like 1
(edited)

Oppenheimer’ Leads Critics Choice Awards With 8 Wins, ‘Barbie’ Scores 6 — Full Winners List
By Ethan Shanfeld   Jan 14, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/critics-choice-awards-2024-winners-list-1235870581/ 

"Oppenheimer” was the big winner at the 2024 Critics Choice Awards, taking home eight trophies including best picture, director (Christopher Nolan) and supporting actor (Robert Downey Jr.). 
Best Picture
WINNER: “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)
“American Fiction” (MGM)
“Barbie” (Warner Bros.)
“The Color Purple” (Warner Bros.)
“The Holdovers” (Focus Features)
“Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures)
“Maestro” (Netflix)
“Past Lives” (A24)
“Poor Things” (Searchlight Pictures)
“Saltburn” (Amazon MGM Studios)
Best Supporting Actor
WINNER: Robert Downey Jr. — Oppenheimer
Sterling K. Brown — American Fiction
Robert DeNiro — Killers of the Flower Moon
Ryan Gosling — Barbie
Charles Melton — May December
Mark Ruffalo — Poor Things
Best Acting Ensemble
WINNER: Oppenheimer
Air
Barbie
The Color Purple
The Holdovers

Best Director
WINNER: Christopher Nolan — Oppenheimer
Bradley Cooper — Maestro
Greta Gerwig — Barbie
Yorgos Lanthimos — Poor Things
Alexander Payne — The Holdovers
Martin Scorsese — Killers of the Flower Moon
Best Cinematography
WINNER: Hoyte van Hoytema – Oppenheimer
Matthew Libatique – Maestro
Rodrigo Prieto – Barbie
Rodrigo Prieto – Killers of the Flower Moon
Robbie Ryan – Poor Things
Linus Sandgren – Saltburn
Best Editing
WINNER: Jennifer Lame – Oppenheimer
William Goldenberg – Air
Nick Houy – Barbie
Yorgos Mavropsaridis – Poor Things
Thelma Schoonmaker – Killers of the Flower Moon
Michelle Tesoro – Maestro
Best Visual Effects
WINNER: Oppenheimer
The Creator
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
Poor Things
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Best Score
WINNER: Ludwig Göransson – Oppenheimer
Jerskin Fendrix – Poor Things
Michael Giacchino – Society of the Snow
Daniel Pemberton – Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Robbie Robertson – Killers of the Flower Moon
Mark Ronson, Andrew Wyatt – Barbie

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer got a PGA nomination (winners announced on Feb. 25)...

With Producers Guild Nominations, the Oscar Picture Gets Clearer
By Kyle Buchanan   Jan 12, 2024
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/12/movies/producers-guild-award-nominations-barbie-oppenheimer.html

Here is the producers’ list of feature-film nominees:

“American Fiction”
“Anatomy of a Fall”
“Barbie”
“The Holdovers”
“Killers of the Flower Moon”
“Maestro”
“Oppenheimer”
“Past Lives”
“Poor Things”
"The Zone of Interest"

Also, Oppenheimer got an Artios Award nomination (winners announced on Mar. 7)...

Casting Society Artios Awards: ‘Barbie,’ ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ and ‘Oppenheimer’ Among Nominees
BY TYLER COATES    JANUARY 12, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-artios-awards-movie-nominations-list-1235786254/

FEATURE BIG BUDGET – DRAMA
The Color Purple (Warner Bros.): Bernard Telsey, Tiffany Little Canfield, Destiny Lilly
Maestro (Netflix): Shayna Markowitz, Dayna Katz (Associate Casting Director)
Killers of the Flower Moon (Apple): Ellen Lewis, Rene Haynes, Kate Sprance (Associate Casting Director)
Oppenheimer (Universal): John Papsidera
Saltburn (Amazon Studios): Kharmel Cochrane

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

On Jan. 12, the American Film Institute honored 10 movies (including Oppenheimer) and 10 TV shows as the Best of 2023...

AFI AWARDS Event Honors the Year’s Best Motion Pictures and Television Programs
January 12, 2024
https://www.afi.com/news/afi-awards-event-honors-the-years-best-motion-pictures-and-television-programs/ 

AFI MOTION PICTURES OF THE YEAR

AMERICAN FICTION

BARBIE

THE HOLDOVERS

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON

MAESTRO

MAY DECEMBER

OPPENHEIMER

PAST LIVES

POOR THINGS

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer got 2 nominations for VES Awards...

‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,’ ‘The Last of Us’ Among Visual Effects Society Awards Nominees
By Diego Ramos Bechara    Jan 16, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/visual-effects-society-awards-nominees-2024-complete-list-1235873314/

Awards will be presented at the 22nd Annual VES Awards on Feb. 21 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. 
OUTSTANDING VISUAL EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE 

“Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” 

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” 

“Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” 

“Oppenheimer” 

“The Creator” 
OUTSTANDING SPECIAL (PRACTICAL) EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL PROJECT 

“I’m a Virgo”

“Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One” 

“Oppenheimer” 

“Society of the Snow” 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer got 3 nominations for MPSE Golden Reel Awards...

Motion Picture Sound Editors Reveal 2024 MPSE Golden Reel Nominations; ‘Oppenheimer’ Leads Movie Field
By Erik Pedersen   Jan 16, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/golden-reel-awards-2024-nominations-list-mpse-1235791970/ 

Both will be presented during the 2024 MPSE Golden Reel Awards ceremony on Sunday, March 3, at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles.
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING – FEATURE DIALOGUE / ADR

Barbie
Warner Bros.

AppleTV+

Maestro
Netflix

Napoleon
AppleTV+

Oppenheimer
Universal Pictures

Poor Things