Type keyword(s) to search

Oppenheimer (2023)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Oppenheimer got 13 nominations for 2024 BAFTA Film Awards...

BAFTA Film Awards Nominations: ‘Oppenheimer’ and ‘Poor Things’ Lead as ‘Barbie’ Falls Short
By Alex Ritman, Ellise Shafer   Jan 18, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/awards/global/bafta-film-awards-nominations-2024-1235876088/ 

Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” appears to be the film to beat going into the 2024 BAFTA Film Awards, having landed 13 nominations, with the director’s most successful film in the U.K. in terms of box office now becoming its most-nominated on home soil.

Announced Thursday from London, the atomic bomb biopic is nominated for best film, director (which could earn Nolan his shocking first-ever BAFTA), leading actor for Cillian Murphy and supporting nods for both Emily Blunt and Robert Downey Jr.
The BAFTA Film Awards ceremony takes place Feb. 18 from London’s Royal Festival Hall, with “Doctor Who” star David Tennant hosting.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer got 13 nominations for Oscar Awards...

Oscar nominations 2024: See the full list
By Lisa Respers France    January 23, 2024
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2024/index.html 

The Oscars will take place on March 10, hosted for a fourth time by Jimmy Kimmel.
Best picture
“American Fiction”
“Anatomy of a Fall”
“Barbie”
“The Holdovers”
“Killers of the Flower Moon”
“Maestro”
“Oppenheimer”
“Past Lives”
“Poor Things”
“Zone of Interest”

Best actor in a leading role
Bradley Cooper, “Maestro”
Colman Domingo, “Rustin”
Paul Giamatti, “The Holdovers”
Cillian Murphy, “Oppenheimer”
Jeffrey Wright, “American Fiction”
Best actor in a supporting role
Sterling K. Brown, “American Fiction”
Robert De Niro, “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Robert Downey Jr., “Oppenheimer”
Ryan Gosling, “Barbie”
Charles Melton, “May December”
Mark Ruffalo, “Poor Things”

Best actress in a supporting role
Emily Blunt, “Oppenheimer”
Danielle Brooks, “The Color Purple”
America Ferrera, “Barbie”
Jodie Foster, “Nyad”
Da’Vine Joy Randolph, “The Holdovers”

Best director
Justine Triet, “Anatomy of a Fall”
Martin Scorsese, “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Christopher Nolan, “Oppenheimer”
Yorgos Lanthimos, “Poor Things”
Jonathan Glazer, “The Zone of Interest”

Best cinematography
“El Conde”
“Maestro”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”
Best adapted screenplay
“American Fiction”
“Barbie”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”
“The Zone of Interest”
Best original score
“American Fiction”
“Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”

Best makeup and hairstyling
“Golda”
“Maestro”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”
“Society of the Snow”

Best costume design
“Barbie”
“Napoleon”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”

Best editing
“Anatomy of a Fall”
“The Holdovers”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”

Best sound
“The Creator”
“Maestro”
“Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One”
“Oppenheimer”
“The Zone of Interest”

Best production design
“Barbie”
“Napoleon”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”

Edited by tv echo

Oppenheimer got a nomination for an American Cinema Editors (ACE) Eddie Award...

‘Past Lives,’ ‘Maestro,’ ‘Anatomy of a Fall,’ ‘Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour’ Among ACE Eddie Awards Nominations
By Jazz Tangcay   Jan 25, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/ace-eddie-awards-nominations-2024-barbie-oppenheimer-killers-flower-moon-taylor-swift-1235887261/ 

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” alumni and star of “Hairspray” Nina West will emcee the event. The winners will be announced during the ACE Eddie Awards on March 3 at UCLA’s Royce Hall. See the nominees below.
BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (Drama, Theatrical)
“Anatomy of a Fall”- Laurent Sénéchal
“Killers of the Flower Moon” – Thelma Schoonmaker, ACE
“Maestro”- Michelle Tesoro, ACE
“Oppenheimer” – Jennifer Lame, ACE
“Past Lives” – Keith Fraase

(edited)

Oppenheimer won the Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media (Includes Film and Television)...

Grammys 2024: See the Complete List of Winners on Music's Biggest Night
By Jack Irvin   February 4, 2024
https://people.com/grammys-2024-complete-winners-list-8551812 

Also, Oppenheimer and Emily Blunt won the Saturn Awards for Best Thriller Film, Best Film Editing, and Best Supporting Actress in a Film...

‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’, ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Among Winners At Saturn Awards
By Patrick Hipes    Feb 5, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/02/2024-saturn-awards-winners-list-1235815080/ 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Christopher Nolan won the big DGA Award and Oppenheimer won an ADG Award...

Christopher Nolan Wins at Directors Guild for ‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘The Bear’ and ‘The Last of Us’ Take TV Prizes: Full DGA Winners List
By J. Kim Murphy   Feb 10, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/awards/directors-guild-awards-winners-2024-list-1235901440/ 

Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Theatrical Feature Film

GRETA GERWIG — “Barbie” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
YORGOS LANTHIMOS — “Poor Things” (Searchlight Pictures)
CHRISTOPHER NOLAN — “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures) – WINNER
ALEXANDER PAYNE — “The Holdovers” (Focus Features)
MARTIN SCORSESE — “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films / Paramount Pictures)

‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘Poor Things’ Take Top Honors at Art Directors Guild Awards
By Jazz Tangcay, Jaden Thompson   Feb 10, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/awards/art-directors-guild-awards-2024-winners-list-1235905918/ 

FEATURE FILM WINNERS:

PERIOD FEATURE FILM

“Asteroid City”
Production Designer: Adam Stockhausen

Production Designer: Jack Fisk

“Maestro”
Production Designer: Kevin Thompson

“Napoleon”
Production Designer: Arthur Max

“Oppenheimer”
Production Designer: Ruth De Jong

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

A Born Entertainer, Honored at Santa Barbara International Film Festival, Robert Downey Jr. Does What He Does Best 
Cillian Murphy and Rob Lowe Present Downey Jr. with the Maltin Modern Master Award at SBIFF
By Leslie Dinaberg    Sat Feb 10, 2024
https://www.independent.com/2024/02/10/a-born-entertainer-honored-at-santa-barbara-international-film-festival-robert-downey-jr-does-what-he-does-best/ 

Honored by SBIFF with the Maltin Modern Master Award, in part for his critically acclaimed and Academy Award nominated role as Lewis Strauss in Oppenheimer, Downey is that rare performer who is equally beloved by the public and by his peers. As his Oppenheimer co-star Cillian Murphy said when he came onstage at the Arlington Theatre to celebrate his colleague, “Robert works incredibly hard to make it look so easy, because all the great ones do.”
Maltin was perfectly correct when he said of Downey, “his resting face is a smile.” Indeed we were smiling all night, as they took us through highlights of his career, with spotlight clips and discussions about his work in Less Than Zero (a drug-themed film that Downey described as “a ghost of Christmas future”), Chances Are, True Believer, Chaplin (probably his most indelible performance for my money), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man, Tropic Thunder, Sherlock Holmes, Sr. (a 2022 documentary about his filmmaker father), and of course 2023’s Oppenheimer
Lowe concluded his award presentation with, “Robert’s story is being a once in a generation talent and courageous performer.” 

Downey was obviously touched by the kind words, but kept things entertaining and funny all the way through, including his final thank you’s to his agents — joking about getting matching pajamas and that “this whole SBIFF was party time for us” — and his wife and frequent film collaborator — “as always I will never finish any thank you without thanking my dearest and greatest associate — even though she’s probably just putting the kids to bed now — thank you Susan Downey.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer won an SCL Award... 

Billie Eilish, Ludwig Göransson, Nicholas Britell, Olivia Rodrigo, Robbie Robertson Among Winners at Society of Composers and Lyricists Awards.
By Jazz Tangcay, Diego Ramos Bechara   Feb. 13, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/billie-eilish-ludwig-goransson-nicholas-britell-society-of-composers-and-lyricists-awards-full-winners-list-2024-1235909896/ 

Göransson, who was honored with Variety’s Artisans Award in Santa Barbara this past weekend, won outstanding original score for a studio film for “Oppenheimer.”
Outstanding Original Score for a Studio Film

Joe Hisaishi – “The Boy and the Heron”
Ludwig Göransson – “Oppenheimer”
Laura Karpman – “American Fiction”
Robbie Robertson – “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Anthony Willis – “Saltburn

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I watched on Peacock today. 
The character development was unusually complex and realistic for a movie, probably because of the 3-hour format, with Robert Downey Jr. as Lewis Strauss depicting a reveal of a character as much as a change of character.

Nitpick: If Director Nolan is going to consistently show "Oppie" chain smoking, then he should have a smoker's cough to go with it.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

Oppenheimer won 7 BAFTA Awards - for Best Film, Director (Christopher Nolan), Leading Actor (Cillian Murphy), Supporting Actor (Robert Downey Jr), Original Score, Cinematography and Editing...

BAFTA Film Awards 2024: Oppenheimer Leads the Way With Seven Wins
BY ADAM BANKHURST    UPDATED: FEB 19, 2024
https://www.ign.com/articles/bafta-film-awards-2024-oppenheimer-leads-the-way-with-seven-wins 

Oppenheimer wins Best Film | EE BAFTA Film Awards 2024
BAFTA   Feb 19, 2024

Christopher Nolan wins Director for Oppenheimer | EE BAFTA Film Awards 2024
BAFTA   Feb 18, 2024

Cillian Murphy collects his Leading Actor BAFTA for Oppenheimer | EE BAFTA Film Awards 2024
BAFTA   Feb 18, 2024

Robert Downey Jr. wins Supporting Actor for his role in Oppenheimer | EE BAFTA Film Awards 2024
BAFTA   Feb 18, 2024

(edited)

Oppenheimer won 1 People's Choice Award...

Taylor Swift, Barbie and Grey's Anatomy Score at 2024 People's Choice Awards: See the Full List of Winners
By Benjamin VanHoose  Updated on February 18, 2024 10:25PM EST
https://people.com/peoples-choice-awards-2024-winners-list-8567529 

The Drama Movie of the Year

Creed III
Five Nights at Freddy's
Killers of the Flower Moon
Leave the World Behind
M3GAN
Oppenheimer -
WINNER
Scream VI
The Color Purple

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Oppenheimer got a nomination for the WGA Award for Adapted Screenplay...

WGA Awards: ‘Air,’ ‘Barbie,’ ‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘May December’ Among Film Screenplay Nominees
BY HILARY LEWIS   FEBRUARY 21, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-writers-guild-awards-nominations-nominees-list-1235831599/ 

The 2024 Writers Guild Awards nominations have been revealed.
In an unusual move this year, the WGA Awards will take place after the Oscars, with the WGA winners awarded on April 14, more than a month after the March 10 Academy Awards.

• Useful 1

Finally got to watch this streaming at home. Other than the Trinity test scenes, I'm not sure there are too many shots where anything was lost not seeing it on a big screen?

As others have said, I feel like I want to watch again, as it was kinda hard to keep track of all the people and the goings-on. But in spite of having a bit of "who's that guy again?" syndrome, it was still compelling and I followed the gist. I do wish I had kept a better eye on the clock so that I would not have assumed that the movie would wrap up soon after the successful test.

My nitpicky things:

I was spoiled for the gratuitous JFK mention, but yeah, that was totally unnecessary and shoehorned in there.

And finally, the aging up effects were terrible! Like, jarringly bad. I can't imagine that looked any better on IMAX. 

• Like 1

Oppenheimer won the SAG Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role (Cillian Murphy) and Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role (Robert Downey Jr)...

SAG Awards 2024: ‘Oppenheimer’ Dominates as ‘Succession’ and ‘The Bear’ Win Top TV Prizes
By Selome Hailu, Brent Lang    Feb 24, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/sag-awards-winners-2024-full-list-1235921598/ 

“Oppenheimer” dominated the 30th Screen Actors Guild Awards on Saturday, winning the prize for best cast, as well as statues for Cillian Murphy’s lead performance and Robert Downey Jr.’s supporting work. The drama about J. Robert Oppenheimer and the development of the atomic bomb was an unexpected box office hit last summer and is considered a front-runner for next month’s Academy Awards.

2 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Oppenheimer won the SAG Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role (Cillian Murphy) and Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role (Robert Downey Jr)...

SAG Awards 2024: ‘Oppenheimer’ Dominates as ‘Succession’ and ‘The Bear’ Win Top TV Prizes
By Selome Hailu, Brent Lang    Feb 24, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/sag-awards-winners-2024-full-list-1235921598/ 

It's been 10 days since I watched, and it's RD Jr's performance that stuck with me.

• Like 1

The Cast of Oppenheimer: Award Acceptance Speech | 30th Annual SAG Awards
Netflix   Feb 25, 2024

Cillian Murphy: Award Acceptance Speech | 30th Annual SAG Awards
Netflix   Feb 25, 2024

Robert Downey Jr. : Award Acceptance Speech | 30th Annual SAG Awards
Netflix   Feb 24, 2024

• Like 1
(edited)

PGA Awards 2024: ‘Oppenheimer’ Producers Win Top Honor
By Matt Donnelly, Jordan Moreau   Feb 25, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/awards/producers-guild-awards-winners-1235919292/ 

Christopher Nolan, Emma Thomas, Chuck Roven and their producing team took home the Darryl F. Zanuck Award, which recognizes excellence in producing for a theatrical feature film. The prize has become perhaps the most important precursor to nabbing the Academy Award for best picture.

Thomas told the crowd that many may not know that Nolan, the film’s writer and director, excelled most in his role as producer: “He’s absolutely brilliant, we’ve worked on 12 films now.”

Nolan himself noted that he and Thomas had never won the Zanuck award, despite previous nominations. “Every time we’ve been in this room, we’ve felt so much support,” he said.
Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures

“American Fiction” (MGM)
“Anatomy of a Fall” (Neon)
“Barbie” (Warner Bros.)
“The Holdovers” (Focus Features)
“Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures)
“Maestro” (Netflix)
“Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures) (WINNER)
“Past Lives” (A24)
“Poor Things” (Searchlight Pictures)
“The Zone of Interest” (A24)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer won the CAS Award for Motion Pictures-Live Action. The Cinema Audio Society honors outstanding sound mixing in film and television through its CAS Awards...

CAS Awards: ‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘The Last of Us,’ ‘The Bear’ Among Winners
BY BEATRICE VERHOEVEN   MARCH 2, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-cinema-audio-society-awards-winners-list-1235840792/ 

The Cinema Audio Society Awards took place on Saturday, honoring Oppenheimer, The Last of Us and The Bear with winning trophies this year.

The sound mixing team behind Oppenheimer took home the award in the live-action competition, beating the teams behind Barbie, Ferrari, Killers of the Flower Moon and Maestro.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Oppenheimer won the ACE Eddie Award for Best Edited Feature Film (Drama, Theatrical)...

‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘The Holdovers’ Win Top Honors for Editing at ACE Eddie Awards
By Jazz Tangcay   Mar 3, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/ace-eddie-awards-winners-2024-1235928090/ 

Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” topped the dramatic feature editing category at the American Cinema Editors’ 74th ACE Eddie Awards, while “The Holdovers” won the category for best edited comedic feature during Sunday’s ceremony at UCLA’s Royce Hall.

Also, Oppenheimer won 2 Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Awards (Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Dialogue / ADR and Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Effects / Foley)...

‘Oppenheimer’ Wins Big at Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Awards
By Carolyn Giardina   Mar 3, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/awards/mpse-sound-editors-golden-reel-awards-2024-winners-list-1235924741/ 

During a ceremony held at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles, the team from Christopher Nolan’s drama about the father of the atomic bomb won a pair of awards in the categories of effects/Foley and dialogue/ADR. Also in the feature categories, “Maestro” won the award for music editing, “Society of the Snow” collected the award for an international feature, “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” grabbed the trophy for an animated feature, and “32 Sounds” accepted the documentary prize.

Edited by tv echo

Just watched this last night on Peacock. It was AMAZING and had me riveted to my screen. As others have stated, I would have liked it if Nolan had provided date tags. And it wasn’t clear to me if Hill testifying at Strauss’s confirmation happens simultaneously as Oppenheimer’s “hearing” or happened after his security clearance was denied.

What I found irritating, or rather, hurt my ears was the “stomping” noise that would go on and on and ON until it would suddenly stop.

That said, Murphy was EXCELLENT. Heck, everyone one was. Except that I found Pugh so…ONE NOTE.

And also like others, I found myself playing the Hey! ITG game at seeing so many familiar faces and also trying to figure out who was playing other key people-that looked familiar, but couldn’t place.

I absolutely LOVED Blunt’s Kitty’s look of utter CONTEMPT toward Teller at the end, and refusing to shake his hand. As if  awarding the Fermi award to Oppenheimer was enough for his treatment and “bygones!” 

And I also didn’t recognize Robert Downey Jr. at first. I was looking for him as I knew he was also in this. I’ve always loved him and thought he was a great actor. He also did not disappoint.

A lot to process and I know I’ll be going down the rabbit hole to read more about Oppenheimer.

• Like 2

I'm going to have to try this again, at some point. When I watched it before, it was on my ipad, and I thought it jumped around too much, and just skimmed. I didn't like it. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I absolutely LOVED Blunt’s Kitty’s look of utter CONTEMPT toward Teller at the end, and refusing to shake his hand.

Best part.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm going to have to try this again, at some point. When I watched it before, it was on my ipad, and I thought it jumped around too much, and just skimmed. I didn't like it. 

70mm the many beautiful people overwhelmed the message of the movie for me. 

• Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Affogato said:

70mm the many beautiful people overwhelmed the message of the movie for me. 

And it just felt like a game of recognizing all of the big stars he got for his movie. I thought they alluded to a conspiracy theory regarding his ex-girlfriend, and then just left it. 

I watched the TV show "Manhattan" which was about the people working in the desert, on the atomic bomb. One man's wife was a scientist, who noticed something wrong with her flowers. There were little, everyday things that showed something was affecting their area. I know this was about the main man, his genius, and any guilt he might have felt, but it was just too much skimming for me. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, Anela said:

And it just felt like a game of recognizing all of the big stars he got for his movie. I thought they alluded to a conspiracy theory regarding his ex-girlfriend, and then just left it. 

I watched the TV show "Manhattan" which was about the people working in the desert, on the atomic bomb. One man's wife was a scientist, who noticed something wrong with her flowers. There were little, everyday things that showed something was affecting their area. I know this was about the main man, his genius, and any guilt he might have felt, but it was just too much skimming for me. 

Good points.

There was a strong thread about politics in the movie, I’m not sure it gelled for me on the first watch. I got the feeling the movie recognized the project would scar those who worked on it, in the way of a permanent trauma that was unrealized when it happened. In addition to the smoking, which is currently distracting to me, too. 

I really was overwhelmed by the lovely actors and cinematography. I spent time in the shallow end and it was not supposed to be a shallow movie. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Good points.

There was a strong thread about politics in the movie, I’m not sure it gelled for me on the first watch. I got the feeling the movie recognized the project would scar those who worked on it, in the way of a permanent trauma that was unrealized when it happened. In addition to the smoking, which is currently distracting to me, too. 

I really was overwhelmed by the lovely actors and cinematography. I spent time in the shallow end and it was not supposed to be a shallow movie. 

😀 I know what you mean. I realized I took you the wrong way, after I posted. 

But I'm always wary of movies boasting so many famous people, because it becomes more about the actors than the movie. 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:12 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I absolutely LOVED Blunt’s Kitty’s look of utter CONTEMPT toward Teller at the end, and refusing to shake his hand. As if  awarding the Fermi award to Oppenheimer was enough for his treatment and “bygones!” 

That was awesome, nobody can give a look of utter disdain and loathing like Emily Blunt. 

Watching this movie and Manhattan, which was on TV a few years ago, must make for a really interesting very intense double feature. Probably not as fun as a Barbenheimer double feature, but certainly gives a more complete picture of the era and everything surrounding the Manhattan project. This movie is more about Oppenheimer himself while the show is more about what else was happening while the bomb was being made.  

• Like 3

I liked the use of black and white footage in the film.  I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, like the use of different types of film looks for different time periods in The Aviator.

I've only seen the film once, but IIRC it was used for Strauss' scenes.  My initial impression was that it indicates his nefarious position in the film, but I've seen other interpretations, like black and white thinking, situations of historical significance, etc.

Since people were talking about the Oscar awards, I wonder if this film looks diverse enough for current Hollywood.  Guess we'll find out tonight.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

Since people were talking about the Oscar awards, I wonder if this film looks diverse enough for current Hollywood. 

You think that would cost them the Oscar?

40 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

You think that would cost them the Oscar?

I absolutely do.  However, most of the scientific characters are Jewish (not sure about the actors), maybe they will count that.  But I'm not sure if Hollywood is pro or anti-Jewish at the moment.

Congrats to the film and its 7 Oscars: including Best Picture, getting both Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. their first trophies, and, at long last, Christopher Nolan finally getting the gold.  Need to rewatch it again, but I honestly think this might be my favorite of Nolan's work (might still be The Dark Knight though.  And Inception was always one of my favs), so even if I can see some thinking its a "career Oscar" for him, I think it was more than earned.

If nothing else, it is still one of those rare three hour films that flew by for me.  Other than the original Lord of the Rings trilogy, no other film that length; even great ones; have accomplished that for me.

• Like 5
(edited)

‘Oppenheimer’ Reigns at Oscars With Seven Wins, Including Best Picture and Director: Full Winners List
By Brent Lang, Jordan Moreau   Mar 10, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/awards/oscar-winners-2024-list-1235932341/

Oscars 2024: Robert Downey Jr. wins his first Academy Award for supporting actor in 'Oppenheimer'
ABC News   Mar 10, 2024

Oscars 2024: Cillian Murphy accepts Academy Award for Best Actor in 'Oppenheimer'
ABC News   Mar 10, 2024

Christopher Nolan Accepts the Oscar for Directing
ABC   Mar 10, 2024

Oscars 2024: 'Oppenheimer' wins Best Picture at the 96th Academy Awards
ABC News   Mar 10, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 3

Finally watched this and whew. While it’s not necessarily my cup of tea, it certainly was intense. Happy this got Nolan, RDJ, and Murphy their Oscars—everyone was great, but Murphy especially. He’s been on the sidelines for so long, and now he’s getting his much deserved chance to shine. My God, that man’s face looks like it’s been carved from marble…

The last scene with Einstein gave me chills. Yeah, they ended the world, but triggered a brand new crisis for years to come. God help us all.

On 3/6/2024 at 11:12 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

That was awesome. That glare really could turn a man to stone.

• Like 2
(edited)

I thought this was good, but honestly I felt like it was also one of those bloated, stolid ponderous 4-star movies that plods but never dances. Which is increasingly what Nolan just seems to prefer.

As a biopic, I thought it was very well done, although I was slightly bored by how much time was taken up by the trial in terms of the story -- I was disappointed that there wasn't more focus on the science and scientists, especially on the interlude at Los Alamos. Honestly, for me, Matthew Broderick's adaptation of Feynman's memoirs into the film Infinity (1996) did a better job of conveying the atmosphere at Los Alamos -- the combination of curiosity, fear, excitement, discovery, and madcap humor that took place there among the team.

The trial was well-acted and presented, I guess, but once it became obvious that it was a put-up railroad job, it just felt like it went on forever to me. Downey was good, but also felt very one-note to me. I also felt like Nolan was too in love with his own shots -- so many of them lasted so much longer than they needed to. So many endless seconds of billowing flames (most of which didn't look remotely atomic). So many endless closeups of stoic faces center-screen.

And once again, increasingly lately, I just don't like the way Nolan writes women. Nolan has a bad habit of writing two simplistic/oppositional female characters in most of his (very male-heavy) films -- see also Inception (evil wife/sweet Ariadne), Dark Knight Rises (Selena/Miranda) and Interstellar (love-addled astronaut/pissy daughter).

Here, we have a cast of thousands, literally a dozen male name-actors alone, and then there's Emily Blunt and Florence Pugh -- both just playing lazy female tropes in a forest of men. Blunt gave a great performance in the second half, when she was finally allowed to have some complexity, but for most of the first half, her character was just a thankless alcoholic shrew to further demonstrate Oppenheimer's 'problematic women.' Speaking of which, poor Florence Pugh -- oh, my God, that poor girl. I felt like her performance as Jean was badly written, overacted, and awkwardly filmed, and that her nude scenes were utterly unnecessary, prurient, and bordering on silly. Having him speak his "I am become death" quote while they're having sex? Seriously? I mean, come on. It utterly weakens the moment he actually said (and meant) the words later on. Why keep adding "gravitas" on gravitas? It wasn't necessary.

I did think Cillian was great, and I was so happy to see him get his much-deserved star moment here. He's always been so gifted, and this was a terrific showcase for his talent and beauty and capacity for visible sadness just beneath the surface. And I absolutely loved Tom Conti as Einstein -- absolutely perfect casting, and a perfect performance.

Anyway. I thought it was a good movie overall, I just don't think it's the greatest thing I've ever seen. It never evoked a moment of real awe for me. 

I know I'm in the vast minority on this, but as far as "Best Pictures" go, I honestly thought Barbie was smarter, took more creative chances, and the movie I'll remember for much, much longer. Thousands died in this story but it didn't make me feel much of anything. Whereas I was given a few glimpses of the poignance of simple everyday life, and I was a sobbing mess in Barbie.

Edited by paramitch
the extra space was driving me batty
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3