Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E02: Elvis Night

• Start Topic

Unpopular opinion: trained dancers/ringers like Charli aren't fun to watch. Might as well watch two pros dance. I like seeing the "stars" make improvements every week and see the work they put in.

It's one thing to have charismatic entertainers (like Wayne Brady and Shangela) who do a good job and make it look good despite not being classically trained, it's another to have the wet mop ringers (like non-star Charli) who float in and nail it and have the judges squirm to find critiques to be fair. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 20

I stopped it with Wayne Brady to go and everything conked out.  I started the live show at 7: 30.  Does it not continue if the live show is over?  Can only restart the premier episode now. This is so annoying 

I know it's not Alfonso's fault and it's the producers in his ear telling him what to say, but I'm disappointed in him/the show for starting the Emma/Trevor showmance narrative in week two when Sasha is there and they are still married.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

Unpopular opinion: trained dancers/ringers like Charli aren't fun to watch. Might as well watch two pros dance. I like seeing the "stars" make improvements every week and see the work they put in.

It's one thing to have charismatic entertainers (like Wayne Brady and Shangela) who do a good job and make it look good despite not being classically trained, it's another to have the wet mop ringers (like non-star Charli) who float in and nail it and have the judges squirm to find critiques to be fair. 

That opinion is not unpopular with me!  I absolutely agree.  It's one thing for a contestant to have some background in dance, but she is way beyond that.  Cross trained, competed for over a decade, danced with Derek Hough in a ballroom routine on one of his specials, dances and choreographs on TikTok.  That's not just "some experience" or has "a background."  That's she gets paid to dance and so is actually a pro territory.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 12

Wayne once again shows how he’s meant to be there. He did the best Jive of the night even tho I could see he was favouring his left knee on the flicka kicks. I also really like Shangela and I don’t mind Gleb, this is his best partner by far.  I thought Joseph deserved at least one 7 for going out there as an absolute beginner and dancing with Alexis whom he just partnered a few hours earlier. That’s incredibly difficult for a newbie to ballroom. Anyway. Carrie Ann and her lifts is tiring.  The other contestants are fine albeit a bit boring. I do see Wayne and Shangela as strong contenders. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Although I'm not a huge Elvis fan, I thought tonight's show was quite enjoyable.  And I learned something new!  I had no idea Elvis had done a version of You Were Always On My Mind.  To me that's a Willie Nelson song.  But Elvis had the first hit version of it.  Completely blew my mind.

So glad Theresa was let go tonight.  Thank you, Len!  

Trevor Donovan did a great job with the rumba!  Good for him!  Shangela is such a great performer, and I can't believe she's making me like Gleb a bit.  Who knew?  Wayne Brady is one of my favorites.  Witney is doing a really nice job with him.  Daniel continues to impress.  I'm glad Sam will stick around a bit longer.  Much as I love Artem, Heidi is preferable to her daughter for me but just kind of meh.  No interest in Charli, and I wasn't really impressed by her dancing tonight.  And she has no real personality.  At least not that's come out yet anyway.  Selma did a really nice job tonight.  The cartwheel and split made me very nervous.  But good for her!  Cheryl seemed totally lost in that tango - like she really needed a few more days of rehearsal.  But she got through it.  Don't care for Vinny or Joseph, but I give Joseph props for having to perform with a new partner.  That has to be hard for a non-dancer to adjust to.  Gabby doesn't interest me either.  Jessie got some votes from me tonight.  She's not great, but she seems to be trying.  Same with Jordin but even more so.  I'd like to see her stick around a while longer.

I'm interested in seeing the Bond theme next week.  They could have some real fun with that.

Tyra continues to suck at her job.  Couldn't believe she sent Trevor and Emma off before Len had a chance to weigh in.  Get a grip, girl.  Remember, you're there as the host, not as the star.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Tyra continues to suck at her job.  Couldn't believe she sent Trevor and Emma off before Len had a chance to weigh in.  Get a grip, girl.

That just makes Alfonso look better. I noticed he got more applause than Tyra.

I love Mark, but that dance didn't do as much for me. Daniel continues to impress. How wonderful was his adoption story and the presence of his costars. 

The bachelor thing was too sappy. 

Wayne was great.  Hope his knees hold up. 

Have always loved Sam and he is improving slowly.

I'm glad Bruno has found somebody this season to have the hots for. The dancing was good, but I think a bare chest gets an extra point from Bruno.

Joseph did have difficult circumstances and wearing a mask can't be easy dancing. I almost felt for the Jersey Shore guy, and his pro was sweet in her excitement. 

Nice save, Len. That housewife had to go.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Charli and Gabby are...fine dancers, but I just am not wow'd by them. They do well, but they're just there. It's a shame one or both will make it to the finale because I have four or five others who I would much rather see there at this point than them. Again, they're fine dancers, they do the dances well, but there's such a disconnect that I simply don't care when they're on stage.

Trevor vastly improved but I feel so bad for them AND Sasha with this showmance angle. Stop it, show! Emma/Sasha's separation just became public so no matter how long they've actually been separated, they're not legally divorced yet! And it has to be uncomfortable for the both of them to have this spotlight be on Emma having to showmance her partner. It is so inappropriate, I feel bad for all three of them. I'm glad they never cut to Sasha because it was bad enough seeing Emma and Trevor's awkwardness over the fawning and childish behaviour. 

Selma and Daniel both did well with this week's Jives. Both of them have their hurdles, with Daniel not being able to hear the music and Selma having no muscle memory, but both did impeccable work to overcome them. With Selma, slowing down the Jive and adding some moves she COULD do helped (but LOL at Sasha tossing in cartwheels and other gymnastic tricks for Selma to do), and he covered up her weaknesses by utilizing her strengths. Their friendship shows, especially with how Sasha prolonged their SkyBox interview to explain exactly how much Selma is overcoming with doing the show. 

And with Daniel, it's clear Britt had to work around him not being able to hear the music and she did a bit more than Daniel did, but he did well with the moves she DID give him. He has more effort to put in because not only does he have no audio cues to help him, he has to perform a very fast dance to crappy music to begin with and be able to be on time and master the kicks and flicks all as he's trying to count the steps and watch for Britt's cues. I don't think people really understand the difficulty in all of that and how impressive Daniel is with what he's doing. But, like Selma/Sasha, Daniel/Britt's chemistry and ability to work together shines. They're both adapting to each other and they have such an amazing journey. Daniel has so much potential and he's doing better and will continue doing better. 

Wayne's great. His personality shows through when he dances, AND he does well with each dance move. 

Shangela is also impeccable. Her and Gleb work very well together and it truly IS all on Gleb and his choreography. No doubt that Gleb could step it up and take risks and Shangela would be able to deliver. 

Jordin has so much potential but going at the beginning AGAIN, and Brandon's mostly safe choreography might make her a surprise elimination sooner than we think. He needs to step it up as well, but even more so than Gleb. Right now, Jordin is starting to fade behind better and more interesting couples and Brandon needs to be careful to not let that continue. 

Sam's enthusiasm makes me root for him. I'll be happy to see him for however long he's around. Same with Vinny, who MASSIVELY improved and got some votes from me this week. Hopefully that continues to happen. Heidi's fine but, like her daughter, she doesn't wow me. She wows me more than Charli, mind you, but not enough for me to root for her.

Joseph did well without Daniella and with Alexis. I think that having him switch pros for his second week was somewhat of a detriment. He was getting into a rhythm with Daniella, both of them figuring out what works and doesn't, so having to perform with Alexis, even just for this week, probably got him a lower score than he should have gotten. Plus, any time a celeb has to switch pros last minute, it has to be a bit of a tough adjustment period. But he did well this week, shows a lot of potential to grow and I'm glad he's sticking around.

Teresa vs Cheryl was not a surprise. I'm glad Teresa went because, as much as she improved this time, she still was on borrowed time regardless. Cheryl had a bad week, but I have hopes she can pick it up and do better. But if she doesn't, then I'll have to hope she goes next.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

And she also forgot to put on her pants.

OMG! I kept thinking we were seeing her crotch peek out - a flashing dark triangle. I hate the way she dresses. But at least we are spared this year from her multiple costume changes.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, LBS said:

I stopped it with Wayne Brady to go and everything conked out.  I started the live show at 7: 30.  Does it not continue if the live show is over?  Can only restart the premier episode now. This is so annoying 

That happened to me last week.  I was watching the live show (albeit I started it late, so it was a bit delayed) and then something happened (if I recall, I switched over to another channel for a second and when I came back, I had lost access to the live show because it was over) and I was locked out.  I tried again like 10 minutes later and I was able to get back in (and I could fast forward to where I had left off).  I think there's a brief delay between the end of the live show and when you can watch it on replay.

This is my first season watching where Tyra is hosting and...boy...is she annoying and distracting

I'm glad Teresa's gone.  I was kind of nodding on and off during last night's show, but I was definitely awake during her "package," performance, and review.  Unfortunately I must have snoozed during Trevor, Cheryl, and Wayne because I have zero recall of anything about any of them.  I did vote for Cheryl (and Gabby*) before I started snoozing off.  I was worried that Cheryl, being an older female might slip through the cracks in the voting. 

*It might be an unpopular opinion, but I like Gabby.  Yes, she's got a probably unfair advantage with having some dance experience, but not so much as some other "stars" this season (Charli) or on past seasons (Heather Morris).  I even liked Erich being there....it seemed less contrived than dragging out Jessie's toddler in an Elvis costume.  

• Love 4
23 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

I love Mark, but that dance didn't do as much for me.

For me it was the combination of still not connecting to Charli at all (that girl is the definition of dead faced) and remembering the other Quickstep done on the show to that exact song, which I found significantly more enjoyable. It was Lindsay and Carlos for Switch Up week and I actually really didn't care for Carlos much that season but that dance was fire. 

23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jordin has so much potential but going at the beginning AGAIN, and Brandon's mostly safe choreography might make her a surprise elimination sooner than we think.

This so much. And yeah, the show putting her first two weeks in a row is certainly not going to help. That's my thing with some of the newer Pros. There are a few of them that I have yet to be fully impressed by in terms of truly wowing with the choreography and sadly Brandon's definitely one of those. 

23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Charli and Gabby are...fine dancers, but I just am not wow'd by them. They do well, but they're just there. It's a shame one or both will make it to the finale because I have four or five others who I would much rather see there at this point than them. Again, they're fine dancers, they do the dances well, but there's such a disconnect that I simply don't care when they're on stage.

A hundred percent agree about Charli but I actually find Gabby okay. She has a bit of a deadpan humor/personality that sometimes can come across a bit weird and kooky but that's far more interesting that Charli's dead faced, personality less demeanor. It's amazing to me that she's made a career on social media to the point of her family getting a reality show.

Because you'd think you'd need something of a big personality to be successful on social media. But then I remember another big social media star they had years ago, Bethany Mota and Bethany too was very closed off. It was one of the reasons Derek said he knew early they weren't going to win that season. But I have to say, even she showed 10 times more personality than what I've seen so far from Charli. 

13 hours ago, MMLEsq said:

it seemed less contrived than dragging out Jessie's toddler in an Elvis costume.  

Okay, I have to say that although I rolled my eyes at first when Jesse pulled out the, "oh my adorable kid loves Elvis," I was cracking up when the kid was getting his life during Cheryl and Louis' performance. From some angles of their dance, the camera caught him where he was sitting with his dad. Kid was giving more moves than Cheryl, lol

Speaking of Cheryl, I'm genuinely surprised that Bruno and Derek both voted to save Teresa. Yes, Cheryl had a lot of errors in her dance but sorry, not sorry, I saw no indication that Teresa was going to get any better and this was her second trip to the Bottom 2. I definitely sided with Len and Carrie Ann on that. 

Anyone starting to think maybe we're being snowed by Trevor Donovan with the whole "I have a fear of dancing" but oh, I just happen to get really good, really fast? Okay, I know some people just naturally rake to some things but it's just a funny thought to think that maybe he's hustling the DWTS viewers, so they go, "oh wow, look how amazing he is for having no experience ever."  

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Anyone starting to think maybe we're being snowed by Trevor Donovan with the whole "I have a fear of dancing" but oh, I just happen to get really good, really fast? Okay, I know some people just take naturally to some things but it's just a funny thought to think that maybe he's hustling the DWTS viewers, so they go, "oh wow, look how amazing he is for having no experience ever."  

I just find him annoying. He looks like a blowup Ken doll. I find Gabby annoying as well. Sam, Jordin, Cheryl, Vinny, Joseph and Heidi are just sort of forgettable. Charli is good, but yeah, no personality whatsoever. The only ones who are really interesting are Wayne, Daniel, Selma and Shangela IMO.

I really wish they would stop patronizing Selma. She's pretty good. She doesn't need sympathy! She isn't the best dancer, but she's definitely better than half the cast.

Wayne was on fire. I don't know if he can beat Charli with her gazillion followers, but what a performer.

• Love 7

Wow, that show was looooong! There are too many people!

My favorites were Wayne, Trevor, Sam, Shangela, and Gabby but I will never root for a Bachelorette. Never. I did laugh at her "say it louder for the people in the back". I can't tell if she's cocky or weird, or both.

I also kind of liked Vinny and Joseph. Vinny looked like a different person, and Joseph had a nice natural grace that was unexpected in week 2 from someone as big as he was. Props for getting through it after the 12th hour partner switch.

Brandon needs to step it up - Jordin is better than that score. He's not capitalizing on getting a great partner. I thought that dress/hair made her look old.

Both Mama D'Amelio and Baby D'Amelio can leave. Mom has zero personality, and Charlie pissed me off making faces and hand gestures standing behind them when Alfonso was interviewing her mom. Yes she's great, but she should be. Start judging her for the professional that she is. I know I'm going to get hate for saying this, but this is why I don't like Mark. He always, always always gets the best dancers. Just once I would love to see him get someone older, or a Selma or Daniel.

Speaking of, Selma and Daniel are blowing my mind. Shasha and Britt are doing a great job. I love the care they both give their partners.

Fuck Alfonso for joking about Trevor and Emma while her husband is also on this show! I know they are separated, but that was so uncomfortable and tacky!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I still don't understand why this show is on Disney+ while the Bachelor shitshow is still on ABC. I sort of like it better on Disney, but it sucks that not everyone who wants to watch it gets to watch. I like that they seem to be going back to basics, even though there are way too many people. 

Alfonso's question to Emma certainly was uncalled for. That seemed more like something Tyra would ask.

• Love 5

I’m surprised that I really liked mark and Charli’s quickstep. Maybe I just enjoy Mark’s choreography? Their cha cha last week didn’t have the joy (from either) that makes it fun to watch, but while Charli sure doesn’t emote jn real life, she was pretty animated on the dance floor. 

I love Wayne, Shangela (which makes me love Gleb—I usually really dislike him), and Daniel (so endearing!). Joseph seems to be trying hard, and I love his enthusiasm. Watching Selma makes me anxious. I’m so afraid she will hurt herself even though she’s very graceful. I also love the new pro Koko but don’t like Vinny.

I forgot to vote during the broadcast. Grrrr.

Edited by Sd601
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Sd601 said:

I forgot to vote during the broadcast. Grrrr.

I don't like how we are rushed to vote during the show in order to send someone home that night. I miss the days we could vote up until a certain point beyond the end of the show and those votes would count towards the next week.

Or better yet I really miss the days of a two night show where the votes from Monday would be applied the next night during a results show.
I wish they would bring back that second weekly episode. They have the troupe to do dances, and with streaming they don't have to worry about any scheduling conflicts.

As a matter of fact, considering we are being forced to now PAY for the show, I think we should get MORE for  our money!

Bring back the results show, Disney!!!
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

I just wanted to drop some support for Charli and Mark. I love good dancing and Mark's always been my favorite pro...so Charli and Mark are the ideal pairing for me!

Mark gave Charli a very intricate quickstep, and while not perfect, I thought Charli rose to the challenge. I also enjoy her performance quality and facial expressions (another reason why she's a good match with Mark, lol). As a person, I think she comes across as a lovely young lady. I don't need someone to be the life of the party for me to appreciate his/her hard work.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I know I'm going to get hate for saying this, but this is why I don't like Mark. He always, always always gets the best dancers. Just once I would love to see him get someone older, or a Selma or Daniel.

No hate, but Mark had Bristol Palin TWICE, Kim Kardashian, Melissa Joan Hart, Shannen Doherty (eliminated first in S10), and Candace Cameron Bure. I certainly would not consider them among the best dancers of their seasons. 

And Mark did partner Paula Deen for one week during switch-up week in S21.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

No hate, but Mark had Bristol Palin TWICE, Kim Kardashian, Melissa Joan Hart, Shannen Doherty (eliminated first in S10), and Candace Cameron Bure. I certainly would not consider them among the best dancers of their seasons. 

Bristol Palin should count for five bad partners. lol 

The thing that gets me about the Bachelorette is their fanbase. Two not very memorable bachelorettes won in recent years. I know celebrities such as football players and Bobby Bones(ugh) have had huge fanbases. But the Bachlelorettes and Bachelors just blend together for me. I do make an exception for Melissa Rycroft because poor Tony finally got a win.

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Love 5

I think Derek needs to take out a restraining order against Bruno. Bruno always finds some reason to maul him. It's embarrassing. 

I'm literally worried for Selma. At one point her legs simply stopped working during that jive. And I thought she was going to have a stroke up in the skybox. 

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Both Mama D'Amelio and Baby D'Amelio can leave. Mom has zero personality, and Charlie pissed me off making faces and hand gestures standing behind them when Alfonso was interviewing her mom. 

This, a thousand times this! ⬆️ That was behavior I'd expect from a 5th grader. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Bristol Palin should count for five bad partners. lol 

The thing that gets me about the Bachelorette is their fanbase. Two not very memorable bachelorettes won in recent years. I know celebrities such as football players and Bobby Bones(ugh) have had huge fanbases. But the Bachlelorettes and Bachelors just blend together for me. I do make an exception for Melissa Rycroft because poor Tony finally got a win.

At least Melissa had some personality. Hannah B and Kaitlin were about as bland as you can get. Gabby is just plain awkward.

At least all of them were better than the icky bachelors, though.

57 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

Mark had some of the worst whiners ever on the show like Palin and Sadie Robertson's family. I think Candace Bure was the one who was always complaining about the costumes as well. He also had some duds who couldn't dance.

I can't recall Val, Derek or Alan ever having anyone bad.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I can't recall Val, Derek or Alan ever having anyone bad.

In Val's early years he had Sherri Shepherd and Elisabetta/George Clooney's ex-GF.

Derek had Nene for Switch-Up week but I think that's literally it for Derek. His 'worst' partner was the season-long awkwardness that was his partnership with Marilu Henner. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I think Derek needs to take out a restraining order against Bruno. Bruno always finds some reason to maul him. It's embarrassing. 

I'm pretty sure that's why they made Derek a permanent judge - a buffer between Len & Bruno!

And I do think Derek got preferential picks of partners when he was competing. I will walk back my "Mark always gets ringers" comment a little. I do still think he gets paired with people that while they might not be "the ringer",  he does mostly get paired with people that have the potential to win. Derek did too. Mostly.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Alfonso's question to Emma certainly was uncalled for. That seemed more like something Tyra would ask.

Is Tyra still a producer?

Love, love, love Wayne Brady.

Hate that Charli’s bazillion followers, more than his knee, will keep him from winning. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Yeah IM SHOCKED the "Celeb" who's a Star for dancing on Awful Horrdenous Tik Tok gets top scores and tounge baths from The Judges. Really wish she wasn't on. I literally can see Judges/Production do something like they did the season Famewhore Hannah won where they elimated James over Aly to ensure the ABC pet won the season. Only this time they cut Wayne Brady to help the Tik Tok Dancer have an easier road to win 

21 hours ago, White Dog said:

Wayne once again shows how he’s meant to be there. He did the best Jive of the night even tho I could see he was favouring his left knee on the flicka kicks. I also really like Shangela and I don’t mind Gleb, this is his best partner by far.  I thought Joseph deserved at least one 7 for going out there as an absolute beginner and dancing with Alexis whom he just partnered a few hours earlier. That’s incredibly difficult for a newbie to ballroom. Anyway. Carrie Ann and her lifts is tiring.  The other contestants are fine albeit a bit boring. I do see Wayne and Shangela as strong contenders. 

OMG Carrie Ann was annoying the hell out of me with the lift crap!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Wow, that show was looooong! There are too many people!

My favorites were Wayne, Trevor, Sam, Shangela, and Gabby but I will never root for a Bachelorette. Never. I did laugh at her "say it louder for the people in the back". I can't tell if she's cocky or weird, or both.

I also kind of liked Vinny and Joseph. Vinny looked like a different person, and Joseph had a nice natural grace that was unexpected in week 2 from someone as big as he was. Props for getting through it after the 12th hour partner switch.

Brandon needs to step it up - Jordin is better than that score. He's not capitalizing on getting a great partner. I thought that dress/hair made her look old.

Both Mama D'Amelio and Baby D'Amelio can leave. Mom has zero personality, and Charlie pissed me off making faces and hand gestures standing behind them when Alfonso was interviewing her mom. Yes she's great, but she should be. Start judging her for the professional that she is. I know I'm going to get hate for saying this, but this is why I don't like Mark. He always, always always gets the best dancers. Just once I would love to see him get someone older, or a Selma or Daniel.

Speaking of, Selma and Daniel are blowing my mind. Shasha and Britt are doing a great job. I love the care they both give their partners.

Fuck Alfonso for joking about Trevor and Emma while her husband is also on this show! I know they are separated, but that was so uncomfortable and tacky!

I won't blame Alfonso for that. Likely Producers doing that 

5 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

I just wanted to drop some support for Charli and Mark. I love good dancing and Mark's always been my favorite pro...so Charli and Mark are the ideal pairing for me!

Mark gave Charli a very intricate quickstep, and while not perfect, I thought Charli rose to the challenge. I also enjoy her performance quality and facial expressions (another reason why she's a good match with Mark, lol). As a person, I think she comes across as a lovely young lady. I don't need someone to be the life of the party for me to appreciate his/her hard work.

Yeah I can't root for someone who's literally famous for Dancing on Tik Tok. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

OMG, Selma did a split and a cartwheel. I stan her! Daniel is so good as well. How does he dance that well without hearing the music?

He can feel the beat so I wouldn't be surprised if he listened to it a number of times so he could get the familiar with the it. That's something he can even do on his own time.

I checked out on this show many seasons ago, only watching occasionally if there was someone on who I really like (and I rarely posted on the thread).  This time, I like a few of them,  so I'm back and I feel like it's better than it has been in a lomg time. Many of the dancers are pretty good, too. 

Is it just my imagination or are the singers better than they used to be? They're probably new because, while most of the songs still weren't great, there is still an improvement over the first several seasons. 

• Like 1

For those upset with Alfonso for asking Emma about her partner, just remember what Cameron Matheson said way back in Season 4 —“EVERYTHING is scripted”and for me definitely that moment was all about capitalizing on a showmance. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

And I do think Derek got preferential picks of partners when he was competing. I will walk back my "Mark always gets ringers" comment a little. I do still think he gets paired with people that while they might not be "the ringer",  he does mostly get paired with people that have the potential to win. Derek did too. Mostly.

It seems like they were able to increase the budget by moving the show to Disney+, for some reason. Not only have they added Alfonso, it looks like there are more troupe members too, and they probably had to pony up some dough to lure Mark Ballas and Louis Van Amstel back. I'm fairly confident that pros like Derek, Val and Mark have a say in who they are partnered with, because they know they are a hot commodity and the show needs them to stick around. Case in point:

2) Contestants should be "Stars." 

A lot of the pros are bigger "stars" at this point than the celebrity contestants. Val, Mark, Gleb, Cheryl, Witney, Artem, Emma, Peta and Sasha have been the stars of a top rated major network show for years. I've never even heard of half of these D-list Bravo reality show and social media celebs. Oh, you were the Bachelorette for one season? Um, no. Not a star. 

• Love 6

I think they picked social media "stars" because it's on Disney Plus and they are trying to attract viewers who are online frequently. Their usual demographic is older people who probably don't use computers much.  I doubt they are still watching the show. I would be curious to know how many people are turning in, and who those people are. It will probably determine what "stars" they will go after next time.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1

Glad Shangela is redeeming Gleb a bit this season. Usually I just enjoy (and lust after) him at a table of one! Shangela is doing great, just like Courtney Act did on DWTS Australia a couple years ago. Hope this will mean we get more drag queens and less bachelorettes.

Mark is so talented. Can he and Derek do a Gene Kelly / Donald O'Connor number for us. That would be epic. 

Tyra is the only thing really bringing this season down. If she really cared about the show, she would step down and let someone better/more competent come in. Can you imagine what a amazing team Tom/Alfonzo would be?!  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, White Dog said:

For those upset with Alfonso for asking Emma about her partner, just remember what Cameron Matheson said way back in Season 4 —“EVERYTHING is scripted”and for me definitely that moment was all about capitalizing on a showmance. 

That makes it even worse! So basically, your bosses are sexualizing your work partnership in front of your estranged spouse? That is disgusting.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It seems like they were able to increase the budget by moving the show to Disney+, for some reason. Not only have they added Alfonso, it looks like there are more troupe members too, and they probably had to pony up some dough to lure Mark Ballas and Louis Van Amstel back. I'm fairly confident that pros like Derek, Val and Mark have a say in who they are partnered with, because they know they are a hot commodity and the show needs them to stick around.

I think you are right. Or maybe just first pick with who the show was able to book? Or do they lure certain "stars" by dangling certain partners? I would love to have that curtain peeled back! For instance, did Sam request Cheryl because they are already friends?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

That makes it even worse! So basically, your bosses are sexualizing your work partnership in front of your estranged spouse? That is disgusting.

I think you are right. Or maybe just first pick with who the show was able to book? Or do they lure certain "stars" by dangling certain partners? I would love to have that curtain peeled back! For instance, did Sam request Cheryl because they are already friends?

I remember reading that certain stars wanted certain pros.  Back then, a lot of them did request for Derek.  I thought it was cool when Donald Driver requested Peta because she was a newer pro at the time.

No comment on this episode since I haven't watched it yet.  Watching last week's during the weekend, I agree with the general consensus that Charli and Gabby are good dancers but Wayne and Shangela are the more entertaining dancers who happen to also be good dancers.  Charli's personality is a little boring but I thought she was pleasant enough.  I didn't get Gabby.  Alfonso asked her a question and she just gave a one word answer. I think he asked her how she felt about her performance or something like that.  I just remember thinking that she wasn't an interesting person to interview.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2022 at 9:47 PM, LadyMustang65 said:

And I learned something new!  I had no idea Elvis had done a version of You Were Always On My Mind.  To me that's a Willie Nelson song.  But Elvis had the first hit version of it.  Completely blew my mind.

I learned this too! When it came on, I was thinking, "That's not an Elvis song. Why are they playing it on Elvis night?" lol

I love theme weeks. I loved how they showed videos commemorating different eras of Elvis' life. 

I think Jessie James, Jordin, and Sam are okay. Nothing to get too excited over.

I love Shangela. I love her personality and her drive to just be absolutely fierce. She can dance too!

Being a Real Housewives junkie, I love Teresa. Although she can bring the drama, she cannot bring the moves, so unfortunately she had to go. Honestly I think she should've went last week. 

I am amazed by how well Daniel dances to music he can't hear. I understand that deaf people can feel the vibration of the music, but when you're constantly jumping and twirling and moving around, how can you feel it then? I give major props to Britt. That takes major skill working with a deaf person, especially when you're limited to what you can sign. I say this from experience. She seems like the right fit for him. 

Being a Bachelorette junkie and a Jersey Shore junkie as well, I also enjoy both Gabby and Vinny. I think Gabby dances well, and unlike some others, I do not find her awkward. I find her adorkable and lovable. I found myself sympathizing with Vinny last week. I was humiliated for him when the judges were critiquing him. I get that's their job. I was rooting for his comeback this week. Although I don't think he's wonderful, I don't find him horrible either. He's tolerable. 

Charli is a good dancer, but I can't stand her. 

Selma is so inspiring, and I loved that she was able to land both her cartwheel and her split, but I almost hate watching her because I'm terrified the entire time that she's gonna get hurt! But good for her for pushing herself!

Cheryl's dance was so uncomfortable. I think Joseph did well enough, especially considering his partner was swapped last minute. I can't stand Heidi. Trevor dances well but I can't stand his hair. 

Wayne is so incredible in everything he does, and I really hope he wins this thing. I felt sorry for him and his knees, but I loved how he acknowledged that others are overcoming far more serious obstacles, so he wasn't gonna complain. Spoken like a true hero. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm going to start by saying that I feel that some of the scores were too generous tonight. On the one hand, while there was improvement, it wasn't 2 points worth of improvement, and going the other way, some of the scores should have been lower than the scores they got last week.

The following is in no particular order, just as it is coming to mind...

I like Sam, he really seems to like being there and is really trying. I applaud his efforts.

I don't really care for Vinny, but, like Sam, at least he's giving it his all.

Charli stumbled in a few places, definitely did't deserve the score she got.

Theresa-quit grabbing the mic! I'm glad she's gone, but I feel kind of bad for Pasha.

Cheryl needs to step up her game, both for her sake and I would hate to see Louie exit so early.

I hope Wayne makes it through the season, he's my favorite.

Joseph, meh. 

Daniel-seems nice enough, but have they forgotten about Nyle? They're acting like he's the first deaf contestant the show has ever had.

Selma-I give her props for what she's doing

Shangela is doing Shangela, and it's awesome.

Anybody else I missed is probably because the are forgetable to me .

I hope there isn't a theme night every week.

Did Alfonso really just that about Travor and Emma's chemistry?!

Bruno absolutely cracks me up, I love him.

Someone needs to tell Jordan that $1,000 is still a lot of money to some people, regardless of age. Her comment made her seem insensitive and out of touch.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:28 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Emma/Sasha's separation just became public

This is the first I've heard about it :(

41 minutes ago, marykat71702 said:

Daniel-seems nice enough, but have they forgotten about Nyle? They're acting like he's the first deaf contestant the show has ever had.

I am not meaning to take anything away from him by saying this, he's doing great.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:21 PM, Stats Queen said:

I am so happy the Teresa Guidice was eliminated- unfortunately it didn’t happen in the first episode.

I love that she didn’t have a large enough fan base to keep her in the competition.

I was so worried when Bruno and Derek voted to save her. To me, if there's been 2 weeks of competition and you've hit the bottom two 2 times...the public has spoken. I'll feel the same if Cheryl and Louis are bottom two next week, no point in saving people repeatedly, it's awkward for everybody.

In terms of who's left, I could lose Jessie James Decker next, there's something so needy and desperate about her performances, it makes me uncomfortable. Vinny can also go, the evisceration from the judges last week was so awkward, he doesn't have the poker face or composure to shake that off. 

I don't understand the appeal of Charli, she is such a void, personality-wise. She's obviously a good dancer, but there's no there there. The long hiatus of Mark Ballas has softened my stance on him, but there's still something that puts me off. Obviously quite talented, but there's something about him that I don't like. The mom is a little intense. I want to root for her, but she's another one who seems too desperate to do well, it makes it less fun to watch.

Wayne was genuinely fun to watch and I'm enjoying Gabby as well. And the rest of the field is pretty good in their own ways. The actor who's pretending to be afraid of dancing definitely comes across as playing a role and I do not understand the romance novel cover model hair, but he did well this week. 

I didn't realize Emma and Sasha are separated, that's sad. I like them both, they seem like genuinely nice people.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Marlee Matlin was the first deaf contestant they had.  She was at the last show with Troy Kotsur, Daniel's costars from CODA.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 9/28/2022 at 1:35 PM, Ilovepie said:

Disgusting or not producers like Conrad Green are all about showmancing. So given the good male performers with unique qualities, 

Emma and her partner needed to do something to become memorable, or they would have been lost.

2 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Marlee Matlin was the first deaf contestant they had.  She was at the last show with Troy Kotsur, Daniel's costars from CODA.

Yeah I loved Marlee on the show and rooted hard for her. I am not as enthused about Daniel or Nyle. Marlee got eliminated for not dancing to the standard and for me neither Daniel or Nyle  have danced to the standard.  Daniels jive was terrible but you would think he’s Jesus the way he was tongue bathed.  Anyway here’s Marlee’s QS she was just adorable 

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 1