Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/12/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Remember when Sunny said she had evolved on the abortion issue?  Guess now she has devolved.   I don't remember if I said it here or said it to a friend but when the decision was leaked I knew Sunny would be thrilled.  She doesn't care if women have lost the choice to have control of their own reproductive choices.  She only cares about what she believes to be the rule for everyone else.  I'm surprised she didn't use the word infanticide the way Meghan used to.

13 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Remember when Sunny said she had evolved on the abortion issue?  Guess now she has devolved.   I don't remember if I said it here or said it to a friend but when the decision was leaked I knew Sunny would be thrilled.  She doesn't care if women have lost the choice to have control of their own reproductive choices.  She only cares about what she believes to be the rule for everyone else.  I'm surprised she didn't use the word infanticide the way Meghan used to.

Sunny consistently states that she is against the overturn of RvW. I don’t know where you’ve gotten the idea that she is thrilled. She has said nothing to indicate that she agrees with the ruling. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Sunny consistently states that she is against the overturn of RvW. I don’t know where you’ve gotten the idea that she is thrilled. She has said nothing to indicate that she agrees with the ruling. 

From what she said today she doesn't seem like she is all that sad women have lost the right to choose.

• Love 1

I think about Alyssa's weird argument that "We all started as equals here," referring to why Presidents don't boss servants around, like King Charles was doing in the video.

I mean...for one, we did not ALL start as equals here. And Presidents, I imagine, can be pretty imperious, just like any other powerful person. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

From what she said today she doesn't seem like she is all that sad women have lost the right to choose.

She said specifically today, that's she's pro-life because of her Catholic beliefs.  But she has changed her position after talking to the women on the panel and does not believe that she should impose her religious beliefs on anyone else.   That doesn't give me the impression that she was happy women lost their right to choose.   

• Love 9

The strawman argument sunny was making came straight from the right wing playbook of slime. I agree with the blue girl. I canceled sunny today but for her I will call it a consequence canceling. 

Edited by GiveMeSpace
change playback to playbook
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, rollacoaster said:

I think about Alyssa's weird argument that "We all started as equals here," referring to why Presidents don't boss servants around, like King Charles was doing in the video.

I mean...for one, we did not ALL start as equals here. And Presidents, I imagine, can be pretty imperious, just like any other powerful person. 

Yeah I give him a pass on this one…he’s grieving and has had non stop travel and events since then.  I’m sure he’s exhausted and sad.  

• Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Sunny's back and forth with Sara and Whoopi doesn't sound like someone who is pro choice.  That is my impression.  

I haven't seen today's episode yet, but Sunny has never been pro-choice. She's always been pro-life. But in recent years, she's said she wouldn't force her beliefs on pro-life on others/those who are pro-choice.

But as far as I've seen, she had been against the overturning of Roe because of the loss of freedom/choices for women. Unless she said something different today? Like I said, I haven't seen today's episode yet.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I haven't seen today's episode yet, but Sunny has never been pro-choice. She's always been pro-life. But in recent years, she's said she wouldn't force her beliefs on pro-life on others/those who are pro-choice.

But as far as I've seen, she had been against the overturning of Roe because of the loss of freedom/choices for women. Unless she said something different today? Like I said, I haven't seen today's episode yet.

Honestly, I'm not sure what point Sunny was trying to make with that final bit with Sarah during the abortion discussion.  I couldn't tell if Sunny thought that you should be able to get an abortion at any point during a pregnancy (which would really go against what she's always stated is her belief on abortion) or if she was saying that people get late term abortions when there's no medical need (which would also be a weird thing to say and something that, as far as I know, isn't backed up by facts).  The entire exchange was just odd.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Considering her point was about how these stories of women who are forced by the government to carry a dead fetus to term and so on weren't happening before Roe was overturned, she was correct. They were not happening before.

Though some Catholics would wait until God decided it was time.  The mother of a collegue's wife from Colombia was bullying her to carry a fetus that died at 8 mos for another month, but luckily her husband and her doctor persuaded  her not to ruin her own health.  It was very sad.

Sunny apparently wasn't listening when Sara recited the facts. Sunny seemed to think the 1.3% wanted to kill the fetus close to birth on a whim when those were the ones with the most severe medical problems. Stacey made this clear too.

Sunny also learned something from Jameela that has been known since ~2013 - the morning after pill does not work reliably on overweight and obese women (BMIs >26).  It reminds me that a course of antibiotics makes the pill less effective, but doctors rarely told people that until ~30 yrs after the pill was invented. But even today I suspect that only happens when the same doctor prescribes both pills or the patient uses the same pharmacist for everything. Considering that 67% of the population is overweight or obese and many doctors hand out antibiotics like candy, assuming birth control is always 100% effective is naive.

Edited by deirdra
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, limestation said:

Meghan Markle's division of the royal bros is a permanent one, IMHO. Her self-centeredness and selfishness caused this and besides, Kate can't stand her and her word stands for a lot more than Markle's so you two can just get yourselves back to America and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

A) Harry is a grown man, people need to stop acting as though he’s incapable of making choices on his own.

B) all of the negative press about Meghan Markle comes from the British tabloids - not known for their unbiased (and I use the term lightly) ‘reporting’ and royal ‘sources’ who have a vested interest in ensuring that Charles, William and their wives escape scrutiny and always appear in the best light, no matter the cost.  Dude literally threw 2 separate tantrums because his pen leaked, but instead the ‘reporting’ is  focused on Harry being banned from wearing the uniform he earned or some imagined slight by Meghan because she raised an eyebrow rather than on Charles acting like a spoiled 2 year old.  The only evidence presented that she’s selfish comes from very unreliable sources.  She’s a convenient scapegoat for the royals. Say something often enough and in a loud enough voice, people will buy in.  If you have any doubts, look at the republican party and their stellar ability to gaslight!

• Like 1
  • Applause 11
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, I'm not sure what point Sunny was trying to make with that final bit with Sarah during the abortion discussion.  I couldn't tell if Sunny thought that you should be able to get an abortion at any point during a pregnancy (which would really go against what she's always stated is her belief on abortion) or if she was saying that people get late term abortions when there's no medical need (which would also be a weird thing to say and something that, as far as I know, isn't backed up by facts).  The entire exchange was just odd.  

My impression was the former, but then Whoopi interrupted her because I believe she (Whoopi) either thought that was a bad example or that she wrongly believed Sunny was disagreeing with Sara. My opinion was that Sunny was arguing with Sara over what Sara had said just before, about how she (Sara) believes in some limitations. Sunny was giving an example of someone who might hypothetically have sought an abortion after some time had passed (ie, their partner left them, they have multiple children already and wouldn't be able to afford another child as a single parent), as an example for why there are other cases besides life of the mother why that might have happened.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

My impression was the former, but then Whoopi interrupted her because I believe she (Whoopi) either thought that was a bad example or that she wrongly believed Sunny was disagreeing with Sara. My opinion was that Sunny was arguing with Sara over what Sara had said just before, about how she (Sara) believes in some limitations. Sunny was giving an example of someone who might hypothetically have sought an abortion after some time had passed (ie, their partner left them, they have multiple children already and wouldn't be able to afford another child as a single parent), as an example for why there are other cases besides life of the mother why that might have happened.

But then Sunny was also saying the 1.3% thing and implied that that was the percentage of women who get abortions in the third trimester when there's no medical reason.  Then when Whoppi said that a doctor wouldn't perform an abortion at six months if the mother and fetus were healthy, Sunny replied, "I don't think that's true".  Like I said in my earlier post, the entire exchange was weird and it felt like Sunny was trying to trap Sarah in something.  Like saying that because Sarah doesn't think that women should be allowed to get an abortion "just because" once they're in the third trimester makes her a secret supporter of Graham's bill or something.  I feel like that's the way she was headed anyway because Sunny was using that tone of voice that she always reserves for when she doesn't want to have a discussion with someone but wants to lecture them on how they're wrong and she's morally superior, which was odd since Sunny herself hasn't been pro-choice for very long so to go from, "I don't believe in abortion" to "abort at any point during the pregnancy" is a very big swing.  

I'm sure this topic will come up again (probably this week) so if they continue with the conversation maybe we can get some clarity on what Sunny was trying to say.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

My impression was that Sunny was trying to get to a discussion of when a fetus is considered a person, why it would be ok to abort at one point but wrong at another.

And, yes, Sunny is pro-life but feels that that is her belief and her belief is not to be imposed on others.

• Like 2

Sara mentioned she thought there should be some limitations regarding abortions and Sunny was pushing her to be specific as to where the cut off should occur.  I really think Sunny was trying to point out Sara's inconsistency, saying on the one hand that government should not interfere with a woman's health needs, yet on the other hand saying there was some point when it should be forbidden.  Thus she started throwing out situations to get Sara to say yes or no and Whoopi interrupted.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Sara mentioned she thought there should be some limitations regarding abortions and Sunny was pushing her to be specific as to where the cut off should occur.  I really think Sunny was trying to point out Sara's inconsistency, saying on the one hand that government should not interfere with a woman's health needs, yet on the other hand saying there was some point when it should be forbidden.

I think most people feel that way.  I don't know anyone who thinks you should be able to have an abortion up to 40 weeks.

10 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

the entire exchange was weird and it felt like Sunny was trying to trap Sarah in something. 

That is how I interpreted it.  Like she was cross examining her.

1 hour ago, cinsays said:

And, yes, Sunny is pro-life but feels that that is her belief and her belief is not to be imposed on others.

That is what she says but I don't believe she is sad it is now harder for women to have abortions.  

1 hour ago, cinsays said:

My impression was that Sunny was trying to get to a discussion of when a fetus is considered a person, why it would be ok to abort at one point but wrong at another.

I don't think the women on the View (or politicians or SCOTUS) should be the people to answer that question.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, cinsays said:

Yeah. And then her saying "I don't think that's true" that doctors wouldn't terminate if the health of the baby/mother wasn't at risk had my jaw dropping.

But whatever with the cross-talking hot mess, Stacy Abrams said it so perfectly and I noticed Sunny had nothing to say in rebuttal.

And Alyssa can STFU with her attempt at humor or whatever she was going for when she told Stacy she was glad Stacy had said she had "lost" back in 2018. I mean, SERIOUSLY??? There is only one other person in recent, recent memory who has refused and still refuses to say they lost. And Allysa is very much aware of who that person is. 

• Love 4

I can't wait to go see the woman king and it is due to Viola who is just divine and she represents dark skinned Black women well.  She never shies away from talking about the realities of  colorism and how it impacts dark-skinned Black women in Hollywood in America and the world as a whole.. I am a descendant of the Dahomey people present day Benin in Africa so I will be taking it all in when I go see the movie.

I also loved seeing the panoply of beautiful dark-skinned Black women on the panel.  The ladies were stunning especially the young lady from South Africa.  

The warrior women called the Agojie or mino(our mothers) that Viola and company are playing in the movie inspired the Dora Milaje in the comic Black Panther that was shown in the movie when it came out in 2018.

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
On 9/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, rollacoaster said:

Especially when there were slaves in the White House.

• Love 7

The Kevin Smith interview showcased how strict they are to the questions, because he kept talking and talking and talking at the beginning, you could see how all their eyes were shifting back and forth that they worried they wouldn't be able to get through the many fodder questions they're supposed to ask.

Today's show was meh. Overall, a boring week other than yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow will be more fun. But, yes, Joy has been looking great the past two week with all the outfits! I think today was the first time I paid attention to the new chairs, just because Sunny reached out to hold Joy when she was sitting down after showing off her jeans for Whoopi. The seats look higher than the ones last season, but less comfortable without the cushion. Don't know if they're supposed to be more "safe" somehow, they don't look it to me. Very spindly.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, geekburger said:

Joy has looked amazing everyday this season!

She really has!

Ok, this is the cynic in me talking and I have not read or heard this anywhere. It is solely MY speculation:  I wonder if Joy had some work done during the break and the only reason Whoopi keeps bringing attention to her on a daily basis is to mock her.

Again this is only MY speculation and i dont mean any Joy-hate. She looks great and I really dislike Whoopi and think she's capable of these type of shenanigans. 

"Your absence lessens me" was hilarious! 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

She really has!

Ok, this is the cynic in me talking and I have not read or heard this anywhere. It is solely MY speculation:  I wonder if Joy had some work done during the break and the only reason Whoopi keeps bringing attention to her on a daily basis is to mock her.

Again this is only MY speculation and i dont mean any Joy-hate. She looks great and I really dislike Whoopi and think she's capable of these type of shenanigans. 

"Your absence lessens me" was hilarious! 

Joy said in the premiere that she lost weight during their hiatus. It’s another reason she looks so good. That and that she’s finally wearing colors instead of the same old black.

Also, Whoopi and Joy have been friends for years. I don’t think Whoopi would mock her.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Joy said in the premiere that she lost weight during their hiatus. It’s another reason she looks so good. That and that she’s finally wearing colors instead of the same old black.

Also, Whoopi and Joy have been friends for years. I don’t think Whoopi would mock her.

My teacher coworker lost weight during the summer too (tummy tuck). 😉 she only told certain people the truth. She looks great too! 

Proud of Joy looking great and trying colorful clothes. She's living her best life. 

• Like 1
On 9/14/2022 at 4:53 AM, bluegirl147 said:

The View announcer and Whoopi described Kevin Smith as beloved filmmaker.  Beloved?  Is he really?

I think he's probably beloved to a great many stoners. 😄

Actually, I do like Kevin but damn he sure likes to hear himself talk.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

I think he's probably beloved to a great many stoners. 😄

Actually, I do like Kevin but damn he sure likes to hear himself talk.

Didn't he play a character that didn't talk in his movies?  Maybe he's talking to prove he was just acting?

• LOL 2

I think Joy looks wonderful.

I would love to know how she lost the weight...but totally understand she would not say. Too controversial.

She has always said no plastic surgery but never minded botox and fillers.

I love Joy and at her age, just a few more years than me, she is an inspiration and icon...and I love how she embraces all aspects of her life...family, professional life, political leanings, friends, her writing plays, yard sales...

• Like 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, OpalNightstream said:

I know nothing about this kind of thing, but wouldn’t Joy’s age (I think she’s 80ish) preclude her from being an ideal candidate for such a major elective surgery? I think she looks great but having that kind of elective surgery at 80 seems a bit risky. 

I think over the years she has had minor tweaks. Nothing like the stuff Joan Rivers did.  Whatever she did over summer break she looks fabulous.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Move over, fellow cynic, but I thought the exact same thing and I get it - when you're on TV, you are going to be under a lot of pressure to look good/young and as attractive as you can.

Of course this does not extend to Whoopi who obviously always sports the "just rolled out of bed" look!

Joan Rivers, sadly, went a lift too far.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, geekburger said:

It was Alyssa’s job to know domestic terrorist threats. Sunny was right. It’s clear Ana is not her biggest fan.

Ana does not care for Alyssa and she has never been able to hide her displeasure.   

• Like 2
On 9/14/2022 at 6:24 PM, McKavity said:
  On 9/13/2022 at 11:37 AM, limestation said:

Meghan Markle's division of the royal bros is a permanent one, IMHO. Her self-centeredness and selfishness caused this and besides, Kate can't stand her and her word stands for a lot more than Markle's so you two can just get yourselves back to America and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Why would Kate's word stand for more than Meghan's?

• Applause 6
  • Love 1

I actually had thought Sunny's hair looked really nice today since she had it up. Like so many others, I didn't think it looked great the past week and a half, so I was glad she put it up. It may have still been parted in the center though, I don't know.

I thought today's show was fun, particularly the segment where Sunny ended up talking about explicit pictures she's received online or via text, whatever, lol. As far as the first segment--I get why Sara asked Sunny to let Alyssa speak, but also understood where Sunny was coming from about wanting to correct misinformation, because Alyssa seemed like she was just straight lying there. (Shocker.) I don't buy that she didn't know the Proud Boys comment in the debate was a big deal back when it happened considering how big it was in the media, more she just didn't care then and this is one of those little things she'd like to whitewash about herself.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I actually had thought Sunny's hair looked really nice today since she had it up. Like so many others, I didn't think it looked great the past week and a half, so I was glad she put it up. It may have still been parted in the center though, I don't know.

I thought today's show was fun, particularly the segment where Sunny ended up talking about explicit pictures she's received online or via text, whatever, lol. As far as the first segment--I get why Sara asked Sunny to let Alyssa speak, but also understood where Sunny was coming from about wanting to correct misinformation, because Alyssa seemed like she was just straight lying there. (Shocker.) I don't buy that she didn't know the Proud Boys comment in the debate was a big deal back when it happened considering how big it was in the media, more she just didn't care then and this is one of those little things she'd like to whitewash about herself.

I think Sunny did have a center part, but her hair was pulled back in a half ponytail and that looked better than it has all week. Not that great, but better, IMO.

I have to say, I don't think it is up to the panel members to fact check each other, mainly because I think they don't do it in an objective way. Sunny accusing Alyssa of lying (or giving misinformation, if you will) can cause dissention on the team. FWIW, Sunny is hardly the arbiter of objective truth, and she's sometimes exaggerated things to make her own points. 

• Love 2

I’m really over alternative facts, so definitely appreciate when the panelists try to give accurate info, even if  it means correcting a coworker.  A li’l dissension  never hurt The View and I like it when Sunny refuses to let Alyssa derail the convo.
Agree Sunny’s hair looked better in the half-pony and that Joy def appeared to have had a few tweaks recently - wish she’d give us the deets!  Something worked wonders!

Just cuz I’m cranky, why does Sara often seem to have so much to say to her peers during breaks?  And often so little to contribute during the actual show?  Don’t know why it bugs me when she usually tries to chat as they go to commercial or as they stroll onstage, but then frequently is mum during the program.  Just feels a bit fake to me - producer’s orders to  appear constantly engaged?   Just can’t quit yakking about those dreary pop culture/poll/sex topics they insist on boring us with?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, KittyQ said:

FWIW, Sunny is hardly the arbiter of objective truth, and she's sometimes exaggerated things to make her own points. 

I'd say Sunny is usually the least false on the panel when it comes to the political topics and the one most likely to bring info and statistics to the discussion rather than mere opinion. Liking her personality or her interpretation of the facts or not, she very seldom outright lies. Whereas Alyssa, I mean, it's really no contest that she's the most false co-host on the panel considering her particular history.

If the co-hosts don't fact-check one another, nobody will. It's not like there's a referee off to the side who's going to enter the discussion and correct them instead. Alyssa could easily make an argument that isn't based in some degree of lies if she wanted to, she just chooses not to.

• Like 1
  • Applause 7

Alyssa’s remarks about not knowing what a threat White Supremacists like The Proud Boys were-“never heard of them before” is right up there with Meghan’s “I wasn’t born then” excuses. And taking superfast only made it more disingenuous and worse.

I wish the camera had panned to Ana so I could have seen her expression during that.

• Love 4