Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: The Boyz R Back

WASH YOUR FACE! That should have been the title of the episode.

Tyra's weave seems to be going through mitosis. That's a lot of hair.

Kelly didn't bother me that much and I basically agreed with what she had to say.

Miss Jay was kind of subdued but I did like the imitation of that guys walk.

It was nice of the one model to clarify Serbia Europe as opposed to Serbia Africa. Good to know. 

• Love 5

I haven't watched Top Model in ages. I stumbled on it tonight and now I remember why I stopped watching. I guess they gave up on pretending to  try to find actual potential models. Lots of skanks and party boys...

I guess Tyson lite is okay, and the Kari girl.

TV pickings are pretty low right now so I will try to watch, but man, it was really cringe worthy.

• Love 5

Got exactly what I was expecting: Crazy ass Tyra, lots of drama, and sob stories. I think Tyra feeds off of people's tears the way most people eat food. 

No way in hell has this been a legitimate modeling talent competition in many, many years.

ETA: I am loving the tall gay guy from Texas. I really hope he makes it. 

Edited by Zima
  • Love 6

I hope the pagan dude learns a valuable lesson about talking about the people you hate during a casting special for a reality show.  Dumbass guaranteed the guy a slot. 

The girl who came late...I look at her and see meth.  Probably the meanest thing I've said online, and maybe it will be part of her story that she's a recovering addict or something.  But it was a little off-putting.  

Was nice to see the guys brought the cattiness first.  I appreciated that, it's a fun switch.

• Love 2

Nice to see Miss Jay again!  I hope his hair grows during the season. Kelly looks aged since last season, like she's lost weight in her face and has a bit more lines.  Is Rob back but not shown last night?  Or is he gone, too?

I didn't think impetigo could be so symmetrical.  Romeo bugged me a lot.  He decides to hate a random guy who shows a little bit of self-confidence then picks a fight with him.  But he does have a great speaking voice.  I see Books on Tape in his future.  I don't see why all the guys though Kallie(?) was so beautiful.  She is pretty but I didn't think she was the prettiest.  The Jersey latecomer should not have been allowed in.  After all she was late for her go-see!  And almost quitting because she had to wash her makeup off?  Did the New Orleans guy who walked weird and was disrespectful to Tyra make it?  I think his name was Brendan.  I imagine the Serbian girl, Mirjana(?) has to say "Serbia, Europe" because most people she talks to don't know where Serbia is. 

At one point they showed a quick montage of previous winners and most of them didn't ring a bell!

I tell myself I won't watch but right now there's nothing else on so if they get rid of all the social media crap (like Banal Boy or whatever the heck his name was), I may check in now and again.  However, this show, like the Real World, reminds me of a modern day Harrod Experiment in which producers encourage young people who don't know any better to hook up on camera for ratings.  If you want to find the next sex-tape-celeb go for it but don't tell me they're "models".

• Love 1

Well, I'll be disappointed if Rob isn't on this year, but I generally don't make it past the first couple of episodes anyway. Can Tyra not afford 2 prizes, one for male and one for female, or are they desperately hoping that one of the hooked up couples will be competing in as the last two standing and bring the DRAMA that way? Because male and female models do not compete for the same jobs. They do not walk in the same manner. They do not have the same lifespan or earning potential. If the contestants think that they do, someone ought to enlighten them.

The girl who came late...I look at her and see meth.  Probably the meanest thing I've said online, and maybe it will be part of her story that she's a recovering addict or something.  But it was a little off-putting.

My thoughts exactly! "Modeling" is not what she probably thinks it is.

It's shallow, but Adam reminds me of an ex, and as big a tool as they are, I kind of hope he sticks around. Also, it's 2014, for crying out loud! Give the gay sob story a rest and allow us the same horndog portrayal that the straight guys get!

• Love 2

I for one, am thrilled to see Miss J back. This show got repetitive and weak, but when she revamped it by firing The Js and Nigel, it became too different. I still watched, of course, because where else are you going to see deluded wannabe models forced to perform like trained monkeys in front of cameras in the most ridiculous photo shoots ever conceived?

Kelly Cutrone is okay now. In the beginning I feel like she went too far into the realm of hateful, but once they reigned her in a little, she gives the strong comments like Janice used to. The ones the models need to hear to improve. Gosh, remember when Tyra would actually offer constructive criticisms of their photos and suggest different ways to pose instead of just saying catchphrases like "find your light" or "dead eyes?" Good times… good times...

I'm glad that Rob seems to be gone. He added nothing to the critiques except a pretty face. So just hang a shirtless photo of him behind the judges on the wall and call it a day. I'm just PRAYING that the hideous BryanBoy is also gone because that whole social media thing was just awful. Unfortunately, Tyra really loves her social media...

As for the models, its' too early. I liked the European girl who was tough, and the tall gay Texan. The only other ones that stood out were the toolish guys who stood out for all the wrong reasons. I hate to admit it but I totally thought Adam was kind of hot (if in need of a haircut) until he opened his mouth. Biggest tool in the toolbox this year...

I also don't want to comment on any of their modeling potential until they've had a professional shoot. Only a few of the selfies actually looked any good. Which is weird, because you'd think that wannabe models would have perfected their selfie skills by now!

• Love 5

I thought Kelly was rather rude to the woman with vitiligo - when she said she did not have a boyfriend, Kelly asked if she has a lover (I think Kelly may have been the one to ask if she had a boyfriend too).  Was Kelly implying that no guy would want her because of her vitiligo?

Glad to see Miss J back, if only for the snark potential.  When he said he has been spending his time catwalking in Europe, I immediately pictured him walking peoples cats as a way to make money - like a dog walker.

• Love 5

I dont think Kelly was being insulting. i think she was trying to figure out if that girl was having/had sex.

Please, please, please let that awful social media "expert" be gone!

Adam is 26?! How sad. His glory days are behind him. He'll be sitting in the nursing home 40 years from now, telling the aides, "I was in the top one percent. The tooooopp perceeeeeennnttt!"

• Love 2

hought Kelly was rather rude to the woman with vitiligo - when she said she did not have a boyfriend, Kelly asked if she has a lover (I think Kelly may have been the one to ask if she had a boyfriend too).  Was Kelly implying that no guy would want her because of her vitiligo?

I dont think Kelly was being insulting. i think she was trying to figure out if that girl was having/had sex.

I think Kelly was trying to figure out if the young woman is a lesbian.  I'm sure that information is included by the producers, so may Kelly was giving her an opening to come out if she wanted to do so?

This show just gets worse & worse, & I love it!  I'm so glad Miss J is back, I've missed everything about her.

I was just happy to see my fabulous Cory back!  yay!!!  I hope he's a permanent part of this season and that awful BryanBoy is gone gone gone!

My eyes were hypnotized by the girl with the vitiligo - so beautifully symmetrical, like looking at a rorschach test!  I hope she sticks around for a while.  I too didn't really get what Kelly was after asking her repeatedly if she had a boyfriend or significant other.  Why does she care so much?

Party guy Adam (?) can leave anytime - I was sick of him within 2 seconds!  And he can take Barbie doll with him.

I already erased the episode from my dvr, so I'll have to wait for the next episode to get better impressions of everyone.  And I always look forward to the dreaded makeover episode whenever that is!

• Love 4

Not impressed with Tyson-lite.  One is enough.  Adam is a douche.  Jamie is a mess.

Glad Miss Jay is back and thank goodness that Rob and BryanBoy are gone for good.

I have no opinion one way or the other about Cory as long as he doesn't go around constantly talking about how he's "androgynous" because, no, he's not.  Saying it doesn't make it so.

I have no high expections of this cycle.  I think all TPTB are hoping for is lots of hook-ups and modeling be damned.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1

Give the gay sob story a rest and allow us the same horndog portrayal that the straight guys get!

It's kind of amazing how in only having two seasons with guys they already seem to have a formula built up for them. A effeminate gay guy with a sob story who gets along with the girls more than the guys and will mostly act as emotional support, probably while coasting through the season with no actual chance of winning like Cory. A bunch of guys who are total horndog d-bags. I'm sure by episode 3 or 4 we'll see our more socially awkward guy and our just plain nuts guy show up.

I have to say i've never been looking more forward to a make over than Party Alpha Male Dude's, that hair cut is absolutely hideous and doesn't do his face any favors. It looks like he styled his hair with sweat.

Edited by snakenax
  • Love 2

Thrilled to have Miss Jay back!  Thrilled to have Rob and Bryan Boy gone.

Yay for Cory!  I hope he sticks around.  I was surprised to see that he kept his head shaved, but I liked it. 

And speaking of male hairdo's, I was so happy when Tyra mussed up Danny's idiotic slicked back 'do.  It was horrid.  I don't care for him at all, so at least I know he'll be around for the long haul.

And I am always amazed that in a modeling competition, I find no one particularly attractive or exotic.  None of the guys really appealed to me and none of them seems to have a fashion sense or a desire to do anything buy hook up with girls and show off their beefed-up/tatted-up bodies.  That's probably why the only one I kind of liked was Matt.  Hated Adam, though I will admit I thought he was cute at first.  Romeo may have been interesting, but that neck tattoo makes him look like he's wearing a well decorated neck brace.  Hated it!!  Tyson-like, yeah, he's good-looking, but he's so "generically" good looking that I don't find him interesting. 

And to mimic someone above, how can a bunch of wanna-be models NOT know how to take a selfie for crying out loud.  And please, please, please can we not put cute little stickers all over every photo... it was bad enough last year with the moveable photos... if that dumb app is sponsoring this season and we get a bunch of cutesy stickers on all the shots, I'll shoot myself!

Oh, there were girls too.  Didn't care for the one that everyone supposedly thought was pretty, hated "I need my make-up mask" Barbie, Serbia girl was OK, as was "tall Asian girl" (who oddly at one point I thought said had 4 brother and later said her mom raised 3 kids- maybe I'm mixing up my gals).  I did like the young woman with vitiligo- the patterning was quite unique, but I don't recall her name. 

I have a bad feeling I'm going to hate this season as the focus will be on hook-ups and boy-girl coupling and that's been done to death on a million other reality shows...

I thought Kelly's questions about a lover were pretty legit given what the show is now.  They want good looking, preferably with some kind of hard luck story; and the person should be single or in a committed relationship to facilitate the sexual drama.  In any case, it didn't stand out to me because there seemed to be a lot of them telling me their relationship status one way or another, and there was a ton of "OMG they're so hot."  

Adam the fratboy reminded me of Britney from way back in Cycle 4 and all-stars.  I hope he's eliminated soon, but I suspect he'll hang around awhile because he's a character and can annoy others by succeeding without appearing to try.  Or care.  Until he does care and they cut him loose, anyway.  Just my guess about his arc.

• Love 1

It really is SO much more enjoyable to just watch the show with the sound off.  The posturing, boasting and bragging of the overgrown children is just not enjoyable to hear.   Strange how some of the younger folks are so much more mature.  Lenox, the little girl from Georgia, I already like.  I'll bet she'll work hard & stay out of the crapstorms.  I also like Will, as long as he doesn't feel the need to remind us that he's gay every 7 minutes. We get it, but we don't care. Just take good photos and don't sermonize.

I honestly don't think they should have contestants over the age of 23. That includes Adam and Keith.  And sorry Keith, you a nowhere NEAR as awesome as the sublime Tyson B. 

I was also happy to see Cory & Miss J.  I've always liked Kelly's brand of "tough love".  I really don't think she's harsh or cruel just to feel superior or clever.  She knows the biz.  She knows that blowing sunshine & rainbows up their asses is just setting them up to fail. 

Edited by leighdear

Admittedly, I haven't seen a season of this since...Brittani won. But this was on and I was bored so I watched it- and it's not even trying to take itself seriously anymore, is it. Much better when it's campy over the top crack. On purpose.

Adam's face looks a little too bloated and his eyes look a little too close together as a result.

Kelly was onto something when she mentioned that she wouldn't want her daughter bringing home a guy like Adam and she sensed "there's something wrong with him."

http://www.queerty.com/americas-next-top-model-casts-homophobic-emorty-student-with-violent-anti-gay-past-20140222/

Apparently, he has a questionable past that involves being violent and anti-gay,

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Why didn't Uniqua make it?  WHY?!!!!

She wasn't uniquanough.

Is Rob back but not shown last night?  Or is he gone, too?

Who knows, but god, I hope BryanBoy is gone!

Denzel is a beautiful looking man, but he sure knows it too. The other black guy, Keith is it? He's also very attractive.

None of the girls have wowed me yet. They're pretty,but I don't see any real knockouts among them.

• Love 8

Nice to see Miss Jay back, and Tyra being crazy as usual. Disappointed by the majority of this cycls's contestants, and none of them are particularly modelesque. My favorites so far are: girl with vitiligo, girl from Georgia, tall Asian girl, tall gay guy, and tough Serbian girl. New Jersey Barbie is this cycle's Angelea with her tacky fashion, so I hope she causes some drama. Romeo is annoying as hell and in no way resembles a model. The guy that auditioned for the 2nd time is cute, like a younger James Franco. Party Guy Adam is a douche but I hope he makes it and they make him eat some humble pie. Vitiligo girl or Texas gay guy for the win!

• Love 1

I swear, when "Jamie Rae" showed up I thought "What the hell is Denise Richards doing there??"

HAH! While we were watching it, my husband remarked that she looked like that one actress who was miscast in that James Bond movie as a nuclear scientist. I said, "Denise Richards?" and he said "Yes!" She kind of does.

• Love 2

Can Tyra not afford 2 prizes, one for male and one for female, or are they desperately hoping that one of the hooked up couples will be competing in as the last two standing and bring the DRAMA that way? Because male and female models do not compete for the same jobs. They do not walk in the same manner. They do not have the same lifespan or earning potential. If the contestants think that they do, someone ought to enlighten them.

Yes. As far as I'm concerned, judging men against women in a modeling competition is like comparing apples and oranges. At first I wanted Tyra to just get rid of the guys and go back to the old format, but I would be ok with her keeping the guys, and just awarding one top model to each sex, so long as they avoid the flirting and hook up drama. WHY did TPTB (aka Tyra) think the viewing audience who watched females walk, pose, and otherwise model for 19 cycles would automatically transfer into a viewing audience interested in dem boyz gettin naughty with da girls?? Please!

I totally agree with the poster who said the cut-off age should be 23. Even that's long in the tooth. Hell, 21 is old to start a modeling career, but I understand it because they can't use minors, and they need to be able to find enough losers to sign up for these shenanigans.

Since when did they fail to complete casting in week one? The CW couldn't spare an extra hour for it?

Unfortunately, I think BryanBoy will be back as soon as social media becomes a factor : ( My big question is whether that loser stylist with the lisp will be back. He never had ANYthing helpful or important to say. I literally think having no one on set would be better than having him--it would be less confusing, and the photographer could just direct the shoots.

None of the contestants stood out to me in a good way, but damn if I didn't loathe the guy who said he was a quadruple threat. His acting? I was expecting a bit of a scene from Shakespeare or its equivalent. His "singing"??? The booty song? He will never recover from that with me. Never. Ever. He can take the fiercest photo with a spider AND a snake--better than Yaya's and Adrienne's combined, and I will always wish for his soul to be eliminated. The fact that Tyra condoned it just underscores the need for Kelly Cutrone to be there to snap this show out of its unprofessional funk, to the extent that she can.

I'll still watch--I don't think there's anything they can do that would make me stop watching--but I'll always yearn for days gone by. RIP. LOL.

Edited by Judge Milianaire
  • Love 3

Wujek and BryanBoy are gone for good.  Yu Tsai is replacing Wujek.  Since he's an actual photographer maybe the shoots won't be total garbage but since Tyra thinks up the themes and this show has virtually no budget, I don't think even an actual photographer can save them.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 4

Or the giant pendulum that knocked the one girl off the runway… or the giant plastic bubbles they had to navigate across a pool from inside!

Or the carousel.  That one should have killed, or at least seriously maimed, someone.

& thank goodness for no more BryanBoy.  He was completely pointless.

• Love 2

Vitiligo girl or Texas gay guy for the win!

I'm rooting for them too. Mostly because I don't like the others at all.

Adam reminds me of a more obnoxious male version of Megg. "ROCK 'N' ROLL!"

Or the giant pendulum that knocked the one girl off the runway… or the giant plastic bubbles they had to navigate across a pool from inside!

Those episodes will never get old. Alexandra fell twice. Once down the marble stairs and then she was knocked off the runway by the pendulum. "The first time I fell . . ."

Edited by Surrealist

At first I wanted Tyra to just get rid of the guys and go back to the old format, but I would be ok with her keeping the guys, and just awarding one top model to each sex, so long as they avoid the flirting and hook up drama.

Personally i'd prefer alternating male and female cycles if they're going to include male models. Though admittedly, with ANTM being network TV it's usage of male models is more snoozy than the cable modeling shows that have used them since it can't do as much underwear/sexy/nude shoots(though it used to do so and just make extensive use of blurring back when it cared about making good photoshoots).

One thing i'm kind of surprised by is two seasons with guys and none of them hit either the classically handsome mold or the generic male model look(the closest is the new gay Texan, and he's a bit too lanky and doughy).

• Love 1

I'm disappointed in the guys but that's because Tyra isn't treating this like an actual contest to find a real model though I think Tyra will do her darnedest to have a male winner this cycle.

I don't understand why Tyra couldn't have cast guys that were ideally 6' - 6'2" instead of the likes of Will and Matt who are 6'6" and 6'5" respectively (too tall).  Then you have Denzel who's 5'10" (too short) and Keith who looks like a Tyson-clone.  Adam who can't pose to save his life and Ben who is also hopeless.  I'm okay with Danny as long as he's not talking.

If she has to crown a male, I'd settle for Will even though all he'll be good for is niche modeling at best.  I prefer Matt looks-wise but his height would keep him from doing too much work probably and Ben who's about right height-wise just doesn't seem to not always look derpy.

For the girls, I like Shei and Ivy.  I'm neutral on Chantelle though she does have a fanbase, I see only niche modeling for her as well though until the novelty of having been on ANTM wears off.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1

I can actually see Chantelle appealing to Jeremy Scott, Jean Paul Gaultier, Rick Owens and other designers who appreciate the novelty.  I'm not sure how long that novelty would last, though.  She does have beautiful lips.  I wanted to buy the lipstick she was wearing when she met the judging panel and I'm a forty-eight-year-old man.

• Love 1

The girl with vitiligo is beautiful! I can't tear my eyes away from her skin - which might be a problem for designers who want their clothes to be the focus. She may go far in this competition but I don't see it happening in the real world.

There's a guy in the competition (can't recall his name), with a large amount of tattoos, and a couple of fairly successful male models with almost full body coverings, as well as a guy who had his face done to look like a zombie...all of which have had moderate success. I don't know that much about the female side, but I assume the novelty would have the same impact/intrigue.

The bottom line, though, is that you're correct. Models are well paid hangers for clothing, and are largely meant to be interchangeable, which is why the successful generally have the same proportions, allowing them an easy fitting.

Edited by NorthstarATL
  • Love 1

This show just gets worse & worse, & I love it!  I'm so glad Miss J is back, I've missed everything about her.

Every time I think they can't go more over the top, they somehow do.

First I rolled my eyes at Cory seemingly being absorbed into this show permanently, because hey... what else is he gonna do with his life?  No seriously.  You'd think the actual winner of last cycle would get the big prize, but I guess Third Place is the new First Place if you make for good TV.

Second I rolled my eyes at the show once again feeling the need to go the Special Special Inspiration Route.  I mean absolutely no offense to vitiligo sufferers--I don't want to minimize the condition in the least.  But does EVERYBODY need to be reassured that whatever they have doesn't matter at all and we can ALL be models?  If so, where are the morbidly obese contestants (not the tame barely plus size ones)?  Or the contestants with elephantitis?  Or the Siamese Twin contestants?  I'm exaggerating here on purpose, of course, but the "Special Special" messages this show tries to send out fall so flat on their faces most times. Beauty is indeed in the eye of the Beholder, but this show on some level usually seems condescending when they "go there". If this was a show about how there's a romantic partner for everyone, or about how a physical skin condition doesn't keep you from being really smart and pwing everyone around you in terms of wealth and success? Great. But "anyone can be a model"? That's not even true for everyone who's skinny, or super-attractive, or extroverted, or whatever else you can think of.  Unless the show intends on regularly confronting the girl with people asking her to put makeup on her skin. Then the show would be using her in a completely different way (to drum up drama).  I'm not even saying the girl can't be very striking with her condition.  Just that I don't like how the show peddles every condition under the sun and milks the (false) idea that they can be successful models no matter what.  Only the biggest supermodels aren't basically expected to be fairly interchangeable.  "Special" could net you a niche career if you are lucky, but I'd bet something like vitiligo might net a slew of short-term jobs out of fascination, then everyone in the industry would then change to a "okay, now we've seen it, lets move on" attitude.  So what's her modeling career?  2 years?

In other news, is Tyra in a good mood due to Naomi's show crashing and burning (in THREE countries!)?

• Love 5

Pneumatic Jersey Barbie?  Despite Tyra asking why she was late, a big part of me thinks that was all a setup (for the drama it would create having someone show up in that group in the middle of things--it's like a guaranteed way to have people rally against her).

• Love 3

mi6EfL1.jpgKromm,     You're absolutely right. Portray this "blond-Barbie-air-head" as accidentally arriving late because of mean airline attendant closing the boarding gate.  RUBBISH!!!  Strictly a "drama" inducing tactic. Who doesn't know TIME IS MONEY, especially in the modeling/photography industry!!! Gets there late, doesn't want to get rid of the make-up and wash her face... how much does she really want to be a "model"? 

It's vitiligo.  Cycle 4 was the impetigo season.

If there's anything that ANTM has taught me, it is how many weird diseases there are that make professional modeling a challenge. I used to joke (way before the current Ebola crisis, of course) that Tyra's next cycle would feature a model making Ebola fierce. 

Pneumatic Jersey Barbie?  Despite Tyra asking why she was late, a big part of me thinks that was all a setup (for the drama it would create having someone show up in that group in the middle of things--it's like a guaranteed way to have people rally against her).

I honestly thought she was not a real contestant. Everything in her looked so fake (the hair, the make up) and I thought she would turn out to be Tyra in disguise or something (well, maybe not Tyra, but their new life coach or something, in disguise). I was surprised she was "for real" (if she can be called that). She looked so much better without her makeup on.

This show is so cringingly bad it's almost good. Can't help watching while rolling my eyes in disbelief.

Rooting for Chantelle as well, she's the only one who stood out for me for good reasons (I watched last season and I have absolutely no recollection of returnee guy??).