Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Part IV

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

This is the episode topic for the fourth episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you want to deep dive on the Star Wars universe, please head to this topic. Posts that are completely off topic from the episode may be removed. Thank you!

• Start Topic

Somewhat of a filler episode, but even though we know the eventual fates of Obi-Wan and Leia, it was still intense.

All the callbacks — Leia’s reluctant “submission” to questioning, the interrogation table, the flight from danger only to be used to track the main base.

Loved Obi-Wan starting to get his mojo back, and his patented lightsaber flourish!

Tala is not to be underestimated.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, paigow said:

Who are the trophies? Why are they important?

I was coming hear to ask the same thing. I assumed I was meant to recognise some of them but as a non-viewer of the animated series I didn't. Although I'm wondering if the little boy was one of the younglings from the prologue of Episode I

Speaking of Episode I I realised that these episodes are named I-VI just like all 6 movies that Obi-Wan has starred in.

I admit I am getting a little tired of the Leia storyline, I feel it's dragging on a bit too much. But maybe that's only cause I want to have a decent young Luke scene before he goes all whiny haha.

Poor Wade, why does Star Wars have a way of making me feel sorry for a death of a person who has one line and 5 seconds of appearance before they die?

Been meaning to comment on how great the score is, for someone not using the main themes Holt really has captured the sound of Star Wars. It's like you are hearing the themes and then realising you aren't actually hearing the theme you think it is - although I did miss the heroic theme that Williams would have used when those fighter planes came in and starting shooting up the place.

And also been meaning to comment that I could see how this series could have been a stand alone movie with all the beats its hitting and the way a Star Wars movie tends to pan out, they are just allowed a little more breathing room between moments as a TV series.

Also very disappointed that Vader didn't follow through with the coke hold on Reva, I'm ready for her death especially with her telegraphing the crap Leia is going to go through in ANH with Vader. I was generally worried about the fate of Tala since she doesn't make it to ANH or even Rouge One.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

I was generally worried about the fate of Tala since she doesn't make it to ANH or even Rouge One.

Same. I was on the edge of my seat every time she got caught. 

I think Obi Wan trying to smuggle Leia out of an Imperial Base by hiding her under a trench coat may be my new favorite Star Wars moment of all time. If Vader heard that part of the story the remnants of Anakin Skywalker would have emerged enough to admit that was 100% something he would do.  

• Love 11

I figured all of the trophies were dead Jedi, from Obi-Wan's reaction.  The kid must have been force sensitive. 

Lots of handwaving for me though.  So Vader really did just stand there last ep while Obi-Wan was whisked away?  I really like Tala and was worried about her all ep but she's at the console, whispering instructions and no one bats an eye.  She was only questioned because she wasn't supposed to be at that station.  Then she takes down that guy and there's still someone sitting at the consoles who never notices!  I guess we can put that down to the type of training and indoctrination the Imps receive; the same type that allowed her to browbeat that one guy into letting her on the base.   The Inquisitors might want to re-think their security.

I do enjoy the Inquisitor so looking forward to Reva's downfall and then squirming in frustration when Vader lets her go.  The actor's expressions are entertaining and it seems like he's having a little fun with the part.

Vader is kind of soft right now.  Who can forget "apology accepted" when he squeezes the life out of that one officer in ESB?  Vader's greatest enemy is allowed to infiltrate the base with a rogue officer, cause chaos and escape with a high level prisoner.  Yes it was smart to put a tracker on Lola but no way was this the same as "they let us go".    Maybe this is one of the things that causes him to harden up further.  I was expecting him to choke the life out of her.

I did think the Reva/Leia interrogation scenes were well done.  I like that there is more to Reva than muscle and enjoyed the (failed) manipulation tactics.  I don't want to see a child tortured but it was good to get confirmation that Reva was willing to go that far.

2 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I was generally worried about the fate of Tala since she doesn't make it to ANH or even Rouge One.

I was worried too but I don't think we know this.  She could be anywhere else in the galaxy when those events happen.

I could really feel a push-pull with Disney in this one.  They want their adorable child heroine (and I think she's a decent actress) but she's nearly tortured and we have our male hero slicing, dicing and drowning folks.   I'm here for that but I think Disney wants family friendly but knows it has to deliver on the other stuff.

Obi-Wan starting to get his mojo back is great to see.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

No wonder Stormtroopers can’t shoot accurately. They can’t see because seriously how the hell is no one stopping Obi-Wan with Leia hidden under his coat. 

Felt that this may have been the weakest episode so far in the series. It wasn’t bad but felt short. I think it was missing something. Maybe a little more follow up to the last episode with Vader letting Kenobi go. 

I can almost hear the moaning from a certain portion of the fandom when it was Reva revealed that she put a tracker about them lessening Vader in the OT. 

Well my speculation that this episode was going to be more about learning Reva’s backstory and Kenobi healing was really wrong. 

I am interested in Reva’s need to get Kenobi even Vader seemed intrigued when she said getting Kenobi was all that mattered. 

Glad Obi Wan is starting to get back to his old self slowly. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, raven said:

I figured all of the trophies were dead Jedi, from Obi-Wan's reaction.  The kid must have been force sensitive. 

It was a Jedi Youngling based on his uniform. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Yeah, I hate that word 🙂  I just say "force sensitive kid" or "kid in training". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

I realized the tracker was in LOLA only five seconds before they cut to her at the end!

Yeah, I thought Reva was just bullshitting Vader, because while she threw a battery or something at one of the T16s, she never would have had the opportunity to get the tracker on the escaping ship. I thought it was a clever way of showing that Reva only gave as much information needed to stay alive, while still maintaining the advantage of the hunt against her fellow Inquisitors. 

• Love 4

Not a bad episode.

Glad to see Obi Wan is getting better being a Jedi, though those blaster blocks were questionable at best.

Leia once again uses the force and no one seems to recognize it except maybe Reva, who doesn't even bother to tell anyone about it? The way they are just glossing over it, because Luke is the chosen one is just silly at this point.

The Jedi trophy tomb of the Inquisitors was creepy. But really who captured most of them, Inquisitors, Clones or Vader?

Poor Tera Sinube! And I think Plo Koon? didn't recognize the rest of them.

When did Reva even find time to plant that tracker, inside Lola no less? I could see on the outside, but inside? She never had time.

Taihlia is great addition, but there should have been no way she could walk on to an imperial area without being caught. Vader I'm sure records everything he sees. Her face should have been plastered everywhere on wanted posters.

Which brings us to Vader. Who apparently lets Tahlia rescue Obi Wan, walk off with him, fly him to Jabin , and then wonders how and why Reva loses the guy and gets mad about it? Dude he was right there, defenceless Vader could have killed him there. This is Vader/Anikan's flaw. He's so arrogant about his abilities or so blinded by rage about Kenobi that he's letting Kenobi get away instead of finishing the job. Anytime else he's a master strategist and tactician .

Reva needs to die, she's just a terrible character, a Mary Sue who keeps getting favours from Vader. No one else has ever gotten such favour in past series from him.All the Inquisitors are terribly acted.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

Leia once again uses the force and no one seems to recognize it except maybe Reva, who doesn't even bother to tell anyone about it? The way they are just glossing over it, because Luke is the chosen one is just silly at this point.

I wonder if it's more like what Obi Wan said in ANH, that Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak minded and not necessarily Force sensitive. Like she could have mind tricked Owen in the first episode, but didn't. In ANH, Vader says the same thing about Leia when she's able to resist the mind probe.

21 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

When did Reva even find time to plant that tracker, inside Lola no less? I could see on the outside, but inside? She never had time.

Did she say she had a droid just like LOLA? I think she just activated a tracker setting on LOLA, I don't think she installed anything. She was physically holding LOLA during the interrogation scene, so it's possible. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

I don't know but to me it seems that writting is getting worse with each new episode except few moments.

Vader let Obi-Wan escape even when he had him like 10 meters from him.

Reva is trying to play good cop when she previously always used violence? In character would be that she immediatell try to gain information through Force or torture. And she returned to Leia her droid when she is going to torture her and put tracking device into her droid too?

Imperial security is joke and Tala is talking with Obi-Wan and kill Imperial in room with other people and no one notice?

Was it possible before to deflect lasers from ships/speeders with lightsaber? It seemed kind of silly.

Wonder if they explain why Obi-Wan didn't train in past 10 years with Qui-Gon how to become one with Force and how he planned to train Luke when he give up Force.

Edited by Grimnar
  • Applause 2
11 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Did she say she had a droid just like LOLA? I think she just activated a tracker setting on LOLA, I don't think she installed anything. She was physically holding LOLA during the interrogation scene, so it's possible.

No she just said she had a droid when she was young and that it was taken from her like everything else. She did seem to have time though after watching that scene again. She doesn't leave with Leia when she's dragged away to be tortured. Reva arrives later to start up the chair, so she could have planted the tracker I guess. Its just the way it was filmed , the timing is questionable.

11 hours ago, Grimnar said:

I don't know but to me it seems that writting is getting worse with each new episode except few moments.

Vader let Obi-Wan escape even when he had him like 10 meters from him.

Reva is trying to play good cop when she previously always used violence? In character would be that she immediatell try to gain information through Force or torture. And she returned to Leia her droid when she is going to torture her and put tracking device into her droid too?

Imperial security is joke and Tala is talking with Obi-Wan and kill Imperial in room with other people and no one notice?

Was it possible before to deflect lasers from ships/speeders with lightsaber? It seemed kind of silly.

Wonder if they explain why Obi-Wan didn't train in past 10 years with Qui-Gon how to become one with Force and how he planned to train Luke when he give up Force.

Im with you on all of this. I get the feeling no one bothered to watch Clone Wars or Rebels.

At this point the convenient plot holes are just silly , lazy writing. Tahila should have been stopped the moment she flew near Fortress Inquisitorius because there is no way Vader didn't record her face. As for dispatching her collegues, again lazy writing. No way people didn't hear that, not even it they were walking into the place could they miss her fighting with someone.

Everyone wants to say Vader was torturing Kenobi by letting him go, but this ep seems to prove other wise, the guy is mad that Reva lost Obi Wan? When he was mere meters from him and could have used the force to drag him to him? Nope just plain bad writing.

Yes Jedi can delfect blasters from ships. Both Rebels and Clone Wars have shown this. osmG0.gif

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

This was probably my least favorite episode so far. It certainly wasn't bad, but it felt more like filler than the rest of the show has, which is unfortunate for a show that's so short. We know that Obi-Wan and Leia are going to be fine but I was worried about Tala, I like her a lot and she's the only major character so far who's fate is unknown. 

I liked seeing that Reva can be manipulative, she's normally such a blunt hammer so it was interesting to see her be more low key, even if she still radiates menace with every fiber of her being. 

Obi-Wan sneaking out with Leia under his cloak was hilarious, too bad Vader is so pissed at Obi-Wan, Anakin would have thought that was hilarious. What's next, we manage to sneak past the Imperial Patrol by having three Jawa's standing on top of each others shoulders wearing a fur coat to pretend to be a Wookie? Security really needs to up their game. No wonder the Empire only lasts about twenty years. 

All of the dead Jedi were really creepy, even the kid Jedi who were killed in the temple. Why would they do that? Are they displaying their corpses just because Vader likes the drama? Are they going to extract something from their bodies like mosquitos making dinosaurs in Jurassic Park? I am still waiting for the flashback to the kids fleeing Order 66 to pay off. Reva did sound pretty serious while she was telling Leia how these people would leave her to die, makes me wonder if she was one of the kids and blames the Jedi for not doing more to protect them, or that some of them took off without her. 

The score continues to be excellent. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, rtms77 said:

Poor Tera Sinube! And I think Plo Koon? didn't recognize the rest of them.

Plo Koon's fighter got vaporized when Order 66 was invoked. So its not him IMO. 

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1

While I agree this wasn’t the best episode I do think some things aren’t as bad as they may seem. Though I think this was really an episode where I could feel the TV budget versus film with the speeder rescue because the proportions didn’t seem right. They appeared to be smaller at times then they should be. 

Reva trying a different/kinder tactic then before wasn’t really that surprising because if she is one of the younglings from the beginning then hurting a child may bring up bad memories. Also we saw the last episode she was obviously not comfortable when Vader snapped the kids neck while the other Inquisitors were not bothered at all. 

Also Vader being upset at Reva for Obi Wan getting away isn’t that surprising. It is one thing if he allows Obi Wan to run away beaten and humiliated but Reva allowed them to escape with what could be considered a win.

So after this episode I am wondering who dies first Reva or Tala?

• Love 2

I liked this episode.  Are there plot holes?  Of course there are.   This is Star Wars.  After the last trilogy - if the plot at least makes sense - I am happy.

Nice to see Kenobi getting back in form.  This episode would have been the time to give us some back story about Reva.  I also think she was one of the Padawans that somehow survived the massacre.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, raven said:

The kid must have been force sensitive. 

He looked like a Youngling from the Temple, I think they wore those helmets.

I didn't say anyone I recognized but, I guess they were Jedi...Force sensitive children wouldn't rate being displayed. 

This entire episode might as well been Fallen Order 1a LOL. I kept waiting for Trilla, Cal or Cere to show up.

Speaking of Trilla, Reva doesn't even compare so I really really hope there's no last minute redemption. Trilla's felt earned, Reva doesn't have the connection to make it work, IMO.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I wonder if it's more like what Obi Wan said in ANH, that Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak minded and not necessarily Force sensitive. Like she could have mind tricked Owen in the first episode, but didn't. In ANH, Vader says the same thing about Leia when she's able to resist the mind probe.

I agree, I don't think Leia is using the Force.  Jabba the Hut also couldn't be manipulated that way and scoffed that only weak minded fools could. 

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Why would they do that? Are they displaying their corpses just because Vader likes the drama? Are they going to extract something from their bodies like mosquitos making dinosaurs in Jurassic Park?

I wondered about that too (not the mosquito thing, heh).  I could imagine the earlier Inquisitors fighting for favor by killing the most Jedi and then showing off the corpses.  Or something like that.  I don't think it's a Vader thing.  From what we've seen, the Inqs don't exactly get along and are trying to outdo each other - having bagged the most Jedi is definitely one way to do that.  I thought I might have recognized one of them in there but I'm not sure.

Gotta fill your evil fortress basement with something, I guess!

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Maybe it was filler, but filler can be fun. And I for one thought it was fun watching Obi-Wan get his mojo back. Not to mention the shirtless batcta tank scene—oh SHUT UP, I’ve been wanting a shirtless Obi-Wan since Phantom Menace! Old man, MY ASS!

Tala is a pretty cool liar under pressure, I gotta give her that.

The Jedi trophy case was morbid. I wonder if it was Vader’s idea—this is the same guy that purposely built a castle on Mustafar of all places.

Does it seem OOC that Vader gave Reva another chance? Not really. Vader has zero patience for flunkies, but the strangled ones in the movies were officers, not Sith/Jedi, and therefore useless to him once they fucked up. Reva proved she had a backup plan, but I’m pretty sure this is her last chance.

This was short, but I’m hoping the last two episodes will make up for it.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 13
(edited)
7 hours ago, rtms77 said:

there is no way Vader didn't record her face

I missed this, when did Vader see her?

How can two Rebel spacecraft approach this base completely undetected?

Imperial officer cap = Clark Kent glasses!

Edited by kay1864
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe it was fuller, but filler can be fun. And I for one thought it was fun watching Obi-Wan get his mojo back. Not to mention the shirtless batcta tank scene—oh SHUT UP, I’ve been wanting a shirtless Obi-Wan since Phantom Menace! Old man, MY ASS!

Tala is a pretty cool liar under pressure, I gotta give her that.

The Jedi trophy case was morbid. I wonder if it was Vader’s idea—this is the same guy that purposely built a castle on Mustafar of all places.

Does it seem OOC that Vader gave Reva another chance? Not really. Vader has zero patience for flunkies, but the strangled ones in the movies were officers, not Sith/Jedi, and therefore useless to him once they fucked up. Reva proved she had a backup plan, but I’m pretty sure this is her last chance.

This was short, but I’m hoping the last two episodes will make up for it.

Re:  seeing Obi Wan in the bacteria tank, I agree, He is a good looking man.  Nice muscles

• Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, kay1864 said:

I missed this, when did Vader see her?

How can two Rebel spacecraft approach this base completely undetected?

Imperial officer cap = Clark Kent glasses!

When she rescued Obi Wan. He stood there watching as the droid and Tailia helped Kenobi. She even looked directly at him. The flames were not that high or anything that would have obscured either of them.  There is no way Vader missed them walking away.

Well if the Mandolorian showed us anything, it showed us that the Empire had no problems designing cuffs small enough for children/infants. Well this episode we see that they also equipped torture devices to configure to hold small children as well. 

Regarding the tomb, it was established in Rebels one of the reasons for it. Basically it is another trap that the Inquisitors use to catch Jedi’s. When a Jedi or someone force sensitive dies the place they die and also the body still has a residual energy that Jedi’s can perceive. The bodies being preserved like that is a way to preserve that energy. (I am using energy instead of the dreaded M word from the prequels) In Rebels the GI used a preserved body of a powerful Jedi Master to lure in the heroes who thought she was still alive. Another reason for preserving these force sensitive people was also part of Palpatine’s plan to live on even after death. 

Honestly I think the Emperor kind of gave the Inquisitors the low end of everything. Apparently they designed a fortress underwater with giant windows that can’t apparently handle blaster fire. Then they don’t seem to be that up to date on the comings and goings since Tala mentions doing work for the GI and nothing mentioned about him being ‘dead’. They have security droids whose range of sight is very limited. They have TIE fighters but they aren’t prepared to scramble them since no one followed after Kenobi escaped. And as mentioned by a previous poster they allowed two aircrafts to advance on their base with nothing happening to them. 

Liked Tala using the stormtroopers helmets against them to disorient them before shooting them. 

• Love 9

What the hell, only 30 minutes?! What a rip off. If they wanted us to care that Wade die then there should have been more scenes on Jabim getting to know Wade, Roken, and Sully (?). As much as I totally love all the Obi-Wan & Leia scenes, it was nice to see him interact with adults and it would've been even better if there had been more scenes of them strategizing before heading off to rescue Leia. I also wanted to know more about this Jedi/Rebel hideout. The symbol they're using looks very similar to the one used by the Rebel Alliance, so does that mean they're the precursor to the Alliance that Leia ends up leading years later?

I'm so glad Obi-Wan got to wear some nice skivvies in the bacta tank rather than the oversized diaper Luke had to wear in ESB. I only wish that bacta scene could have gone on longer in order to get a good look at the "old man" body. That dip in the tank did wonders for Obi-Wan's appearance, he looked so clean afterwards. Teeka the Jawa can't complain about his smell anymore. 

The escape was really silly but then Star Wars always has implausible escapes that I try not to think too much about. But I guess since Reva couldn't get the location of the hideout out of Leia, allowing them to escape in order to track them explains the ease of their escape. The one thing I can't forgive though is Leia hiding under Obi-Wan trench coat and no one noticing. Anyway, it was awesome seeing Obi-Wan regain his Jedi mojo and cut down dozens of storm troopers AND hold back the ocean. Also love that Ewan remembered to use the little flourishes and twirls that Obi-Wan does with the lightsaber. 

Leia and Obi-Wan holding hands at the end was the most adorable thing I've ever scene in Star Wars. I don't want their adventure to end because I absolutely love their relationship. And knowing that she names her son Ben because of the bond she formed with Obi-Wan during this time just makes my heart melt. I'm glad this series has made Leia equally important to Obi-Wan as Luke is. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, ybrik said:

No wonder Stormtroopers can’t shoot accurately. They can’t see because seriously how the hell is no one stopping Obi-Wan with Leia hidden under his coat. 

Felt that this may have been the weakest episode so far in the series.

10 hours ago, Grimnar said:

Agree with the above sentiments. There were some good/interesting moments, but overall this episode fell flat for me. Too many worn out tropes: the infiltration escape plan, the "do you know who I am? I outrank you" bluff that barely saves the day, to the "I let them escape; it was my plan all along... in spite of all the many ways it could have gone  wrong and all the unnecessary casualties." I'm a little surprised they didn't have had Leia stand on Obi-Wan's shoulders and had them pose as a reeeally tall imperial officer as part of their getaway.

That said, this series excels at its visuals, its score (as mentioned above), and the acting and believability of its principal actors (notably Ewan McGregor and young Leia, Vivian Lyra Blair). Give me more of that, show, and less of the silly old rehashed plots.

• Love 1

No wonder Reva's in such a bad mood all the time, I would be too if I had co-workers so idiotic they can't even see Obi-Wan walking around like Vincent Adultman trying to smuggle Leia out of there! 

That tomb was super creepy and it makes it all the worse that Tera Sinube was the only recognizable one. A lot of them probably weren't even part of the jedi order, just force sensitives who were going about their everyday lives and then the creepy inquisition squad pays a visit.  

I like that Obi-Wan is finding his place in the force again although he'll probably have to lose that again once this adventure is over.  

Little Leia is a sassmaster and I probably scared my neighbors screaming "Leave her alone!" at Reva during their scenes together. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I'm a little surprised they didn't have had Leia stand on Obi-Wan's shoulders and had them pose as a reeeally tall imperial officer as part of their getaway.

• LOL 4

I love Obi Wan and Leia. I didn't know I needed to see this relationship unfold but I love it. Love them together and individually. Like said above this was a little bit of a filler episode but still enjoyable for me. I look forward to it every week.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I admit I am getting a little tired of the Leia storyline, I feel it's dragging on a bit too much. But maybe that's only cause I want to have a decent young Luke scene before he goes all whiny haha.

It had never occured to me that Luke as a kid wouldn't be whiny. I always figured it was who he was from a young age. 

11 hours ago, rtms77 said:

Leia once again uses the force and no one seems to recognize it except maybe Reva, who doesn't even bother to tell anyone about it?

When did Leia use the force? I think I must have missed something

11 hours ago, absnow54 said:

She was physically holding LOLA during the interrogation scene, so it's possible. 

That's what I thought. 

4 hours ago, raven said:

I don't think Leia is using the Force.  Jabba the Hut also couldn't be manipulated that way and scoffed that only weak minded fools could. 

This makes sense to me. My sense of it (and this could be wrong) is that Jedi Mind Tricks and similar tactics do not work against incredibly stubborn people. Really stubborn people are immune to them, like Leia. 

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I for one thought it was fun watching Obi-Wan get his mojo back. Not to mention the shirtless batcta tank scene—oh SHUT UP, I’ve been wanting a shirtless Obi-Wan since Phantom Menace! Old man, MY ASS!

@bunnyblue, @jennifer6973 Nothing wrong with taking a dip in the shallow end of the pool, especially if its right there in the episode.

Leia's green outfit reminds me of her green outfit in Return of the Jedi. I do love that she has always been stubborn and refuses to give up information, even under threat of torture. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, absnow54 said:

The kids in the first episode of this show were wearing those helmets as the were running away. I couldn’t tell if it was the same actor but that’s probably not a coincidence. 
ETA: Based on the credits, it was one of the kids from the first episode. 

13 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Clone Wars confirmed this. There’s a scene where Mace Windu, Anakin and Obi-Wan combined can’t get Cad Bane to tell them what they want to know. 

I enjoyed this episode for the acting and characterization, but that was really lazy writing. I don't know how they got through filming the scene of Tala whispering to Obi-Wan at the Imperial station without realizing it looked ridiculous and needed to be changed.

Reva had time to put the tracker on Lola, but I don't buy that she actually planned to let Leia go in that moment (or even ever). Her character's mission has been established as being about Kenobi--both in terms of what Vader told her to do and what she's said. The show should have established the Path as a priority earlier if they want me to buy that she would prioritize the Path over Kenobi. 

The other major writing issue is that Alderaan is an Empire planet, and Leia's parents are Empire Senators. Leia being kidnapped is legitimately a big deal. Obi-Wan is a secret, but Leia is not. So the show needs to explain why Obi-Wan can't contact Bail Organa and arrange a rendevous for Leia... heck, even on that initial planet, why couldn't Obi-Wan get a disguise and hand Leia over to official planetary powers once he rescued her? Maybe the writers have an explanation in their head, but it hasn't been clearly communicated on screen and it's driving me up a wall. Leia is a princess of Alderaan, and there should be resources that the Organas can use to help. 

Now there's an additional writing complication that we know Leia's allowed to return to Alderaan and gain official diplomatic duties. But Leia has been tied to seditious forces in this episode. So the show unnecessarily wrote something that it's going to have to explain away (although I expect that it won't, and it will simply be a dangling plot hole).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

The other major writing issue is that Alderaan is an Empire planet, and Leia's parents are Empire Senators. Leia being kidnapped is legitimately a big deal. Obi-Wan is a secret, but Leia is not. So the show needs to explain why Obi-Wan can't contact Bail Organa and arrange a rendevous for Leia... heck, even on that initial planet, why couldn't Obi-Wan get a disguise and hand Leia over to official planetary powers once he rescued her? Maybe the writers have an explanation in their head, but it hasn't been clearly communicated on screen and it's driving me up a wall. Leia is a princess of Alderaan, and there should be resources that the Organas can use to help. 

This doesn’t bother me because she was taken by the Empire. Handing her over to planetary powers would be like handing her back over to the Empire. I don’t think there is anything to clue Obi-Wan into the fact that this was entirely Reva’s plan and not sanctioned by the Empire. 
We know he contacted her parents after he rescued her. Immediately after that she ran away, then they were chased, then in the desert and then Leia was taken. There hasn’t really been a way for him to contact them again. 

42 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Now there's an additional writing complication that we know Leia's allowed to return to Alderaan and gain official diplomatic duties. But Leia has been tied to seditious forces in this episode. So the show unnecessarily wrote something that it's going to have to explain away (although I expect that it won't, and it will simply be a dangling plot hole).

Has she? The benefit of Reva being a lone wolf is that what she knows is not being widely shared. Plus the fact that she is a child who was kidnapped. I can’t see her being held responsible for who rescued her. If anything the blowback should be on her father. The Empire has always known the Bail worked with the Rebels they’ve just never been able to prove it. I’ve never understood why the Senate continued to have power until the Death Star was built but for some reason it did. 

(edited)

I liked Leia being able to hold her own with Reva.   

After Reva almost tortured Leia I wanted her dead. That was creepy but par for the course for the Empire. I was so hoping that Vader would kill her. Too bad she's the only competent person there.

I feel bad for poor Leia. She's already been through so much in this series and she's only ten. It's amazing she comes out of it and ends up the strong rebel leader Leia became. Although I now question Vader in ANH accusing Leia for being a traitor. No, shit. Being kidnapped by the Empire, chased, shot at, interrogated and almost tortured didn't make her love the Empire? Who would have guessed. 

I like Tala and glad she didn't get killed.

Those tombs were creepy. I wonder if they are kept there as a way to keep track of the Jedi who are known to be dead or Palpatine being an ass or he's trying to do something with them. That poor kid.

I love seeing Obi Wan getting his groove back. That scene of him killing the stormtroopers in the dark was awesome. Same with the glass. 

I love how incompetant the Empire employees are. Tala only gets questioned about being on the wrong floor. No one wonders why she's whispering into a comlink or what happened to guy who questioned her in that scene. The driods can't find Obi Wan who's not even wearing a disguise. No one noticed him walking Leia under his coat later. It's amazing the Empire lasted as long as it did. 

Leia and Obi Wan holding hands at the end was cute. Too bad their being tracked.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 3
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, bigseach said:

Was the idea that leia would be in the amber goo thing?  It looked like there was a belt thing that would take her though some automated process.

No, that chair is a torture device

• Love 1

Bringing this from the speculation thread but seems relevant to some of the above posts:

Actually if you think about it, it would make since for Leia not to acknowledge knowing Obi Wan. Bail isn’t telling anyone that Leia has been kidnapped. So when Leia is returned as long as they don’t speak of the Obi Wan and the kidnapping, they can have deniability from the Emperor and his men about being part of the rebellion or knowing where Obi Wan is. It is still another decade before the Senate is able to be dismantled so the Emperor or Vader can’t just outright accuse the Organa’s of hiding Obi WAN’s location since the only reason they know that Bail is able to contact Obi Wan is because they kidnapped his daughter. 

• Useful 3
(edited)

One thing bothered me in this episode.  Why would a 10 year old (even Leia) know anything about "The Path".   That just makes zero sense.

I could maybe understand it if she was actually on one of the planets that were helping Jedi but she's been on Alderaan this whole time.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
45 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

One thing bothered me in this episode.  Why would a 10 year old (even Leia) know anything about "The Path".   That just makes zero sense.

I could maybe understand it if she was actually on one of the planets that were helping Jedi but she's been on Alderaan this whole time.

Leia has very much not been on Alderaan this whole time - that's pretty much the entire plot of the show! She's been kidnapped, taken off-world, and her rescuers are now trying to get her to safety. She was standing right there when Tala told Obi Wan all about the Path (in quite surprising detail that she really shouldn't have shared, all that should have been very much Need To Know, for this exact reason). And that's the information Reva was trying to extract from Leia. Anything and everything she might have seen or heard as a result of her personal experience being smuggled along the Path.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Leia has very much not been on Alderaan this whole time - that's pretty much the entire plot of the show! She's been kidnapped, taken off-world, and her rescuers are now trying to get her to safety. She was standing right there when Tala told Obi Wan all about the Path (in quite surprising detail that she really shouldn't have shared, all that should have been very much Need To Know, for this exact reason). And that's the information Reva was trying to extract from Leia. Anything and everything she might have seen or heard as a result of her personal experience being smuggled along the Path.

I really meant "all this time before the show".

I guess I didn't think of Reva trying to find out what Leia had just learned about the path and thought she assumed Leia had always known about it.  Still though, it's very possible Leia does know nothing about it.  Reva doesn't know what Tala told her (if anything).

12 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I guess I didn't think of Reva trying to find out what Leia had just learned about the path and thought she assumed Leia had always known about it.  Still though, it's very possible Leia does know nothing about it.  Reva doesn't know what Tala told her (if anything).

Reva does know, however, that Leia was being smuggled along the path, so it is a pretty good bet that she knows at the very least a few names and places that would be solid information for the inquisitors to follow up - if only the people she has met and places she has been, the contacts that got her this far, it would still be valuable information.

That said, Reva already had the guy who originally put them on the Path quite literally in her hands, deliberately creating a diversion to buy them time to escape, and she didn't seem to realise how valuable he could be to her because she just let him go. He'd have had a lot more information to spill than Leia, if only she'd known it. But Leia could, at the very least, point the finger back to him, describe in more detail the arrangements he had in place to get them off-world. All of that would be useful information for the Empire to use against this nascent Rebel movement, to prevent it building and growing (as we know it eventually does).

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

This bothers me too. Leia is the daughter of an Imperial senator and royal family of a Core World. The conflict between Reva and Vader in this episode shouldn't have been about Obi Wan getting away (because VADER STRAIGHT UP LET HIM GET AWAY last episode) it should have been that Reva used such a high profile target to lure him out, and the political ramifications are going to be a nightmare for Vader's Inquisitor Operation.

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

That said, Reva already had the guy who originally put them on the Path quite literally in her hands, deliberately creating a diversion to buy them time to escape, and she didn't seem to realise how valuable he could be to her because she just let him go.

At that point I really don't think she cared about any smuggled Force Sensitives, her whole goal was to get Obi-Wan. I was actually surprised she didn't kill him.