Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Shirley Chung vs. Brooke Williamson

That was a good episode of Top Chef. Two very likable and talented chefs who both made food I'd be ecstatic to eat. I would have been happy with either one of them winning, although I have a huge crush on Brooke. Even with the pink hair and tattoos, she's like a modern-day Donna Reed.

Gee, was Brooke not classically trained like Shirley? I didn't get that the first ten times she mentioned it. I am not loving the gimmicky challenges and the need to "tell a story." I just want to see them cook good food. And not in slow motion, either. And Gail should have told Wolfgang to fuck off after that comment he made about her breasts.

• Love 9

That was fun. I was surprised Shirley won, after listen to Brooke whine about how she was going to lose. I thought for sure she'd win. Guess, not. In truth, I liked them both, so I didn't have a dog in this fight. I'd have been happy if either had won.

So far, so good. Especially, after that horror of a Season Called Top Chef, New Orleans. Where you can be a bottom chef in all the competitions, and be an overly emotional jerk, who makes Ilan look good, and still win...

Ahem, speaking of jerks..., go Antonia.

Edited by LexiconDevilOne
  • Love 3

Brooke is becoming the female Richard Blais, for me. When she first came on TC, she had this one, small restaurant. Now she has three. Girl, go home with your husband and be happy.

Huh?  What do you mean by this? 

I really like Shirley, so I'm glad she won.

But most of all - how is it ok that Wolfgang Puck is excused for saying that ridiculously offensive comment about Gail's breasts?  Why didn't they edit that out?  Why did everyone laugh?  I'm seriously dumbfounded by that.

• Love 2

I was OK with either one winning, I like them both, but they need to stop doing that stupid "the first judge picks a chef, the second judge picks the other chef, & the third judge, surprise! picks the winner" It's such a reality competition trope.

And Gail should have told Wolfgang to fuck off after that comment he made about her breasts.

But most of all - how is it ok that Wolfgang Puck is excused for saying that ridiculously offensive comment about Gail's breasts?  Why didn't they edit that out?  Why did everyone laugh?  I'm seriously dumbfounded by that.

I commented on this in last week's thread, the man is a pig. He's always making sexual comments. This is supposed to be a workplace, just imagine what he says that doesn't get aired.

edited: because "the first judge picks a cher" is stupid since everyone knows there's only one Cher.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 5

Huh? What do you mean by this?

Richard Blais came to Top Chef with one restaurant, Flip Burger. He didn't win, whined about it, and in spite of himself he opened more restaurants. He's still whining.

Brooke came to Top Chef with one restaurant, she lost to Kristin. All night during this show her insecurities kept creeping out, and she's got three restaurants now. Her husband even looked uncomfortable.

I think these chefs who have great successes in their business and personal life should not keep coming back to reality TV for some kind of kudos or a trophy. Be happy with what you have.

• Love 1

When Brooke was on Top Chef, I remember her talking about the two restaurants she and her husband owned. I'm pretty sure they even showed her shuttling between the two. Top Chef aired in 2012, and according to this bio:

Along with Roberts, Williamson opened the American gastropub, Hudson House, in March 2009, and The Tripel in Playa Del Rey, in April 2011.

Love Shirley and Brooke. It's still the familiar faces bringing me to the show, since the format isn't as interesting.  

• Love 1

Again, I liked that because I like both of the competitors  and it's just fun to see them doing their thing.   Brooke is an anxious person, and a bit insecure, but unlike Blais she's never intimated, hinted or stated that Kristin was anything other than a deserving winner.  This despite the fact that Kristin came back via Last Chance Kitchen, although she never should have been eliminated for Josie's mistakes in the first place.  So whereas Brooke has that "she's kind of a nervous wreck, at the best of times" thing in common with Blais, she has little else in common with him that I can see.  She lost to Kristin, she's never said that she choked, or it wasn't fair.  The abrasive thing about Blais is that he has always said he choked and it caused him to lose his season.  Brooke never gives a reason beyond "I lost".  She was a far more gracious loser.  

I personally liked Blais a lot until he couldn't admit that he'd simply been bested by Stephanie, and put it down to his nerves.  He always talked about how "I should have won my season" not "I lost my season".   I get what you're saying, but that's a key difference in the two for me.  Plus, I'm pleased to see Brooke when she shows up, whereas I'm a little embarrassed for Richard whenever he does.  

It's great that Shirley won, and Pink was a blast.  

However, yuck to Wolfgang Puck.  The man is a dinosaur, trading on his name, age and the fact that he's not from the U.S. to get away with behaving like a pig.  He's also old enough that he's starting to come off like a dirty old man, meaning creepy and slimy.  Gail's breasts aren't his damned business, she's a peer and a colleague.  That said, a lot of my outrage died out when Gail later referred to the cocktail and how the nursing mom was the person to really like the hit of booze.  So at least there's some reason to believe that Gail wasn't in need of her smelling salts after Wolfgang decided to make yet another breast joke.  

Man, all of my honest feminist outrage aside for a second, my bigger problem with Puck is that he's not funny.  He's just awkward and forced.  

Anyway, I aside from that rather horrifying moment, it was a fun episode.  Brooke took home twenty grand so it was a nice paycheck evening for her.  Aside from the comedic stylings of one Wolfgang Puck, the judges were good too.     

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 6

I was OK with either one winning, I like them both, but they need to stop doing that stupid "the first judge picks a cher, the second judge picks the other chef, & the third judge, surprise! picks the winner" It's such a reality competition trope.

I agree, but in one of the final rounds last week (the burger I think) wasn't the decision unanimous?  With three votes it's either unanimous or 2-1, I guess they could always go left to right or something but at least it's not drawn out over a commercial break like a Ramsey show.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1

What I find confusing is that (if I'm understanding the rules) the first two competitions don't affect the result of the third. So why are we doing the contestant x wins the first, while contestant y wins the second, and the third (ftw!) goes to...

?

Brook won the first two, though.   So it wasn't X wins, then Y wins, then the 3rd/main duel.  Plus, these quickfires are for money.  I wouldn't mind $20,000.

I like both Brook and Shirley, so I thought I wouldn't be pulling for anyone in particular and just enjoy this.  I did enjoy it, but I found myself rooting for Shirley.  So I was happy when she won.  I would have been happy with Brook, too, but Shirley get a slight edge from me, for some reason. 

I like both Shirley and Brooke so the outcome didn't really matter to me. But.... how come they did not ask Shirley who made her dessert like they asked Brooke. I really thought that would be the deciding factor- Shirely takes first course, Brooke second and Brooke dessert because its not Top Pastry Chef That is Not Shirley. I found that to be a bit unfair.

• Love 3

After the even-steven "judging" from last week--X won Y's challenge, Y won X's challenge, X/Y are neck and neck down to the last course--I dozed off before the three course circus dinner.  Obviously X winning the two quickfires meant Y was a lock for the Duel.

The Top Chef franchise bums me out these days.

Is next week Mike Isabella vs. Antonia?  She was nice, talented and people liked her a lot; he was a dick and still bested her.  Her turn to come out the big winner.  But they can't have Antonia sweep the whole thing or it looks funky that Mike beat her in the regular season, so $10k apiece and Antonia in the Duel.

Edited by candall

I like both Shirley and Brooke so the outcome didn't really matter to me. But.... how come they did not ask Shirley who made her dessert like they asked Brooke. I really thought that would be the deciding factor- Shirely takes first course, Brooke second and Brooke dessert because its not Top Pastry Chef That is Not Shirley. I found that to be a bit unfair.

I don't know - they both had their sous chefs.  They just used them differerntly.  I don't think you can ding Shirley for that.

I also think the sous chefs were in charge of creating the dish either Brooke or Shirley told them to make, isn't that right?  So they were just executing an idea, vs. creating a concept that secured the win for Shirley.   

I was happy for Shirley.  She had a string of semi-rotten luck nearing her finale, including face-planting in Hawaii and knocking out a tooth, which is why she sort of disappeared from the actual finale when she had been among the available sous chefs.   Admittedly, that was after she won a nice bunch of prizes, including a car (which she said she planned to give to her parents) and a cash prize she said would go towards putting in air-conditioning in their Las Vegas home.  

I sort of wanted her to comment about the air conditioning, as weird as that would have been.  It's just such an awful thought, trying to live through a Vegas summer without air conditioning in your home (I am clearly a complete weakling, because I would leave Vegas as if pursued by hellhounds if someone asked me to live there without AC).  

I'm pretty sure that's the sign of a less than riveting episode, even though it was pleasant, I spent a lot of time waiting to see if Shirley would mention her husband sitting around in Air Conditioned splendor (munching on Geoduck, apparently).  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

I think these chefs who have great successes in their business and personal life should not keep coming back to reality TV for some kind of kudos or a trophy. Be happy with what you have.

I think Top Chef raises their profile and really adds to their restaurant or business. Esp. if they win, of course. I get what you're saying about famewhoring, but there's reality tv, and there's reality tv. I think Top Chef has cache/credibility in the profession.

• Love 1

I missed it. What did Puck say?

They were talking about desserts, and Gail maybe said something about all the desserts she's had and enjoyed over the course of the Top Chef shows, and Puck said something like: "and all the weight's gone to her breasts."

Pig.

After the even-steven "judging" from last week--X won Y's challenge, Y won X's challenge, X/Y are neck and neck down to the last course--I dozed off before the three course circus dinner.  Obviously X winning the two quickfires meant Y was a lock for the Duel.

This week was all YY, no XY. :-)

• Love 2

Color me contrarian, but I didn't like either chef in her respective season.  Both excellent chefs, no doubt.  But personality wise, Brook constantly sniveled and complained and Shirley constantly postured and defended.

Like others, I'm glad it's not going to be the predictable one each win, then decide at the duel. 

And Wolfgang has been a sexist pig from day one.  I can't stand him.

Gail looked great, rockin' the smoky eye makeup and  leather (Pleather?) leggings.  I was really impressed with Pink, aka Alecia.  She's really a beautiful woman.  I liked her snark about them NOT saying something about "Get this Party Started"...*LOL*

• Love 2

After the even-steven "judging" from last week--X won Y's challenge, Y won X's challenge, X/Y are neck and neck down to the last course--I dozed off before the three course circus dinner.  Obviously X winning the two quickfires meant Y was a lock for the Duel.

Wow, loco, reading my quote in your box, I sound like the world's biggest tool. 

No wonder I'm single.

• Love 1

Wow, loco, reading my quote in your box, I sound like the world's biggest tool.

No wonder I'm single.

Balderdash!  (Yep, I said that!)  I absolutely went through that scenario in my mind, then realized that they would have to engineer different combinations.  X wins Y then Y wins X,  X wins X then Y wins Y, X wins X then X wins Y, Y wins X then Y wins Y, etc.  Each week would have to be completely different from the week before, then the Duel would have to alternate.  No way they could let 1 chef sweep all 3 rounds, even if it was deserved. 

Nothing Toolish about it.  And I'm single too, so it's NOT that either!  *LOL*

• Love 1
Wow, loco, reading my quote in your box, I sound like the world's biggest tool.

Nah, for one thing, no harm.  No foul.  For another, behold: Wolfgang Puck.  Here to make us all feel better about our social skills, well-developed senses of humor,  behavior and lack of sexism.  

Feel better about yourself as a biped, don't you?  As you should.  Salud.  

• Love 6

So, only the chefs in the white coats win?

Apparently.

I'll be honest--I do not like Shirley. She seems to be a great chef, but there is something about her personality I cannot stand. I knew as soon as Brooke won the first two challenges Shirley was walking away with the win.

On a side note--Padma had better watch her back, because Gail is looking HAWT!

• Love 1

That said, a lot of my outrage died out when Gail later referred to the cocktail and how the nursing mom was the person to really like the hit of booze.  So at least there's some reason to believe that Gail wasn't in need of her smelling salts after Wolfgang decided to make yet another breast joke.  .

IIRC, on  WWHL, Andy asked Tom (?) who had the biggest potty mouth and he said Gail.  So, yea, I don't think she was too thrown off-kilter. That being said, it was still WAY inappropriate. 

Edited by LunaNegra

With Kristen out of the competition, I found Brooke's season about as exciting as steamed veg. She's perfectly nice but always puts me to sleep so I was grateful she was paired against overly exuberant Shirley. I found Shirley's personality a bit forced at first but grew to love her. Am very glad she won!

I love that they featured vegan baking. I just wish that they had done something a little more creative than puddings but it was a 30 minute challenge as Brooke pointed out.

Nice to see Gail all fit and confident so I didn't really mind Wolfgang's bawdy joke--she seemed flattered like, "Damn right. I worked hard to get this body back."

Edited by anonymiss
IIRC, on  WWHL, Andy asked Tom (?) who had the biggest potty mouth and he said Gail.  So, yea, I don't think she was too thrown off-kilter. That being said, it was still WAY inappropriate.

Fully agreed.  Puck is just Jurassic levels of sexist and inappropriate, plus again, simply not funny even on a rare occasions he tries to joke about something other than sex. 

• Love 1

Not to get too preachy, but in reference to offensive comments, it doesn't matter how the recipient reacts to or cares about the joke/comment. An offensive joke is an offensive joke. Period. And what made it worse here is the fact it was televised.

• Love 9

I don't know if they're purposely emulating the style of this or not, but Top Shot (the marksmanship competition) used to feature a lot of artistic, high definition, slow motion inserts.  The pattern here is almost identical to that but with food instead of bullets, arrows, or such.  I tried to see if there was any overlap in cinematographers or such between the shows, but I can't find any.  The style is so similar to me that I'd think there has to be some connection.

• Love 1

Wolfgang really is a pig, isn't he?  This is the second episode in a row something outright sexual fell out of his mouth.

Wasn't surprised that Pink introduces herself as Alicia. She's said for years now that Pink is only a stage name at this point and that the adult her isn't the same snotty rebel.  She really does need to have that annoying barcode neck tattoo removed though.

From the moment Brooke won the second challenge I felt it was inevitable that Shirley would win the Duel.  Because this judging isn't blind, it's even more subject to Vulfgank, Gail and Chef Hair adjusting their voting to create a storyline (not that Daniel Boulod or Dana Cowan would have anything to do with those kinds of shenanigans overtly, but since they were told Shirley was down two, they'd have "underdog" on their mind anyway).

It does suck that Shirley basically won on what her pastry chef did for her.  It's realistic to a real kitchen, so I can't fault it on that front, but is it as appropriate for a head to head competition?

With Kristen out of the competition, I found Brooke's season about as exciting as steamed veg. She's perfectly nice but always puts me to sleep so I was grateful she was paired against overly exuberant Shirley. I found Shirley's personality a bit forced at first but grew to love her. Am very glad she won!

As a person Brooke is about as exciting as paint drying.  But I think her food speaks louder than her on-screen personality.

• Love 2

I can't believe that disgusting pig Wolfgang puck is allowed to continue being a judge after his comment to Gail. But this is Bravo and all things slimy and vile are a go at the Andy Cohen network. I mean these people advertised a viscous assault on The Atlanta Housewives, and then tried to claim a nonviolence policy when the fighting spilled over to the reunion show.

Yeah Brooke really is a boring blob. It kind of seemed like her husband didn't even want to be there.

I also find Wolfgang Puck absolutely repulsive. I couldn't believe that comment he made, and the fact that Bravo just included it as "haha-one-more-of-Puck's-silly-quips-haha." I wish Gail had ripped him a new one after he said that. But, of course, if she had, Bravo certainly would NOT have aired that. 

• Love 1

The thing is, even if they do have a private relationship where she's comfortable with that, we're not privy to it, so it makes it uncomfortable for us. I think it was a super poor choice on the part of the editors either way.

• Love 1

Yeah, my vote is that Puck is a creep.  I totally expect this kind of thing from him, but that comment was just especially blatant.

I think this format needs tweaking.  It's fine that they do the $10k things but the judging does seem extra made up, and the knife picking is soooo pointless.

I liked both Shirley and Brooke, and I enjoyed this episode more than the last one because of them.  I'm really looking forward to Antonia/Mike - I really liked Antonia on her season, and actually Mike bothered me far less on All-Stars (as did Stefan) than he did on his own season.  I'll be rooting for Antonia though.

Stillshimpy: However, yuck to Wolfgang Puck.  The man is a dinosaur, trading on his name, age and the fact that he's not from the U.S. to get away with behaving like a pig.  He's also old enough that he's starting to come off like a dirty old man, meaning creepy and slimy.  Gail's breasts aren't his damned business, she's a peer and a colleague. 

For me with Puck, familiarity has definitely bred contempt. I remember when I thought he was just this charming foreign chef who spoke like Porky Pig ("Take me home, I'm no twooooouble"). But very quickly over the past few years, his Top Chef appearances are consistently rude, sexist and often blatantly contemptuous. I really dislike him now.

That said, a lot of my outrage died out when Gail later referred to the cocktail and how the nursing mom was the person to really like the hit of booze.  So at least there's some reason to believe that Gail wasn't in need of her smelling salts after Wolfgang decided to make yet another breast joke.

I didn't mind Gail's response so much there because I felt it was more about two fairly new mothers bonding, so it struck me as inoffensive and funny, simply because it's probably still fairly recently on her mind (she had her baby last year, right?).

Speaking of Gail, in terms of judges who balance honesty with personality, Gail is terrific at that for me. I always find her engaging, smart and funny, but she rarely comes across as actually 'mean' to the contestants, which I appreciate.

I enjoyed this episode overall -- I've always liked Brooke, and enjoyed the pairing here with Shirley. I liked seeing everyone win something, too.