Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20: Uncle Sheldon and a Hormonal Firecracker

• Start Topic

Hmm, I wonder why Mary didn't mention to Pastor Jeff that the 'man' in question is a minor and the 'young woman' is almost 30? 

"Meemaw's gonna be a great-grandmother."
"That sounds so old."
"Please tell her that."

"You, Red Shirt, lock the door."

"My son got a girl pregnant."
"Safe to assume it was not Sheldon?"

"I don't think [God] does his own shopping."

Love how proud Missy was of having figured it out.

Missy and Georgie's talk was sweet. "Don't make me cry more." "Sorry. That's the last nice thing I'll ever say to you."

(BTW, it's not too late to go back to school, Georgie.)

• Love 20

I'm at the point in this show where I just FF through any long Sheldon conversations, like I did for the last few years of TBBT, but everything else was pretty good. I love Georgie and Missy together. And I felt genuinely sorry for Mary at the end. 

Boy the c***** are appearing fast and furious in George and Mary's marriage. 

• Love 9

Raegan Record is turning into quite the actress. She's able to emote so much through her expressions!

I'm enjoying the serialized story, it's interesting seeing how the whole family reacts to the situation. Interesting that they all need someone outside the family to talk to.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Interesting that they all need someone outside the family to talk to.

Except MeeMaw. She was the only one not to say anything.  I thought she would’ve called June or Dr. Sturgis.

Why is it we have never met Heather B and Heather M? Missy talks about them all the time. But they have never appeared. I guess they are going to be like Steve Urkel and Kimmy Gibbler’s parents—the characters we never meet. 

Edited by nelroy78
  • Love 6

Maybe Sheldon remembers things wrong and it's his mom and Pastor Rob who have the affair, and he transfers his anger to his dad.  I know that's stupid, but we've seen TV show writers do dumber things than that! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Ironically what made Sheldon bearable in BBT was that he had people he exasperated but who genuinely liked him to bounce off of.  He doesn’t have that yet so young Sheldon comes off as the least interesting character on the show.  

Missy has become the stealth hero of the show.  She genuinely cared about her brother and was the only one who actually even tried to make him feel better.  

I do feel sorry for Mary.  All her fears about how people would judge her are coming true.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 24
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I do feel sorry for Mary.  All her fears about how people would judge her are coming true.  

This. I know it's easy to say who cares what other people think but nearly all of us do. We are social creatures and for most people we love to have and form bonds with our community. Mary hasn't changed but everyone dropped her. And yes, she can be a sanctimonious ass at times but it does really suck to discover that her social circle is made up of fair weather friends.

And, in Mary's defense there is a difference to me between "who cares what other people think" and "you worry too much about what other people think and not enough about God" or whatever exactly it was Pastor Rob said. George's advice is right but very hard to put into action. Pastor Rob gave her a different place to focus and that's at least a bit easier to put into practice. His advice gave Mary a place to go mentally for support when she was feeling low. I don't think anything that happened with Mary and Pastor Rob was inappropriate but George is already in an infidelity headspace because he nearly cheated and now he's seeing it where it doesn't exist.

I felt awful for Mandy and Georgie as the family spread the gossip throughout town. Mandy is going to hate these people before she's even showing. Linkletter is actually a good confidante because you know he didn't tell anyone since he was barely listening. And if Pastor Rob blabbed, I would be shocked. But the Coach and Missy's friends. Yikes.

And it was just a throwaway but George's job is looking like it's in trouble. The boosters going so far as to meet with a new coach makes me think he'll be fired very soon. That added pressure will not be good for the Cooper marriage.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
42 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I don't think anything that happened with Mary and Pastor Rob was inappropriate but George is already in an infidelity headspace because he nearly cheated and now he's seeing it where it doesn't exist.

It appears that she's developing an emotional connection with Pastor Rob, so even if things don't get physical, this is a form of cheating.  It's very hurtful to George to know that his wife is seeking out emotional comfort with another man. 

It was a very personal thing when Mary let her guard down and sat out in the church parking lot and smoked a cigarette with Pastor Rob (a few episodes ago).  That's not something Mary does in front of everybody else.  When George caught her smoking after learning of Mandy's pregnancy, he said something like "It's okay.  You earned this one."   That seems to be their secret.   For a so-called comedy, it's not very funny anymore.   I did like Missy & Georgie's bonding moment though.  

• Love 14

I dislike this story line of Georgie getting Mandy pregnant and it's very depressing watching this scenario unfold.  There is no happy outcome to this situation.  Maybe the writers will pull the ol' "it was a dream" plot, and Georgie wakes up and decides to go back to high school.  

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Maybe the writers will pull the ol' "it was a dream" plot, and Georgie wakes up and decides to go back to high school.  

I figure they'll go the route of her having a miscarriage and then things will get back to normal.  If that happens, it should be a huge wakeup call for Georgie to be more careful with his relationships in the future and not to lie about his age or anything else to women!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm all for Mandy alone deciding what to do about her pregnancy and deciding not to marry Georgie, but I don't understand the apparently one-sided blame falling on Georgie. If, as George repeatedly argues, Georgie is "an idiot," what does that make Mandy? Moreover, only a few months remove Mandy from statutory rape (age of consent in Texas is 17 - and I presume it was the same back in the day?). How many times have we heard "he'll be 18 in March." Especially as an adult of nearly 30, where was Mandy's agency in this?

I was a little surprised that Missy didn't figure it out sooner, but she deduced the correct situation eventually. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

I dislike this story line of Georgie getting Mandy pregnant and it's very depressing watching this scenario unfold.  There is no happy outcome to this situation.  Maybe the writers will pull the ol' "it was a dream" plot, and Georgie wakes up and decides to go back to high school.  

Young Sheldon has never been a sitcom in the traditional sense or maybe it’s a more realistic one.    This has always had a good amount of drama which might turn purist of comedies off.     I actually like that it is taking heavy topics to its logical conclusion.   Georgie is exactly the kind of well meaning idiot kid who would lie about his age to get a girl and then knock her up.  The comedy and drama comes at how everyone in the Cooper household handles the new reality that Georgie is going to be an unwed teenage father.      The mess will outright freak out Sheldon.  The utter idea of being unwed will freak out Mary and be a reckoning for her about her religion and her marriage to a man she might have married herself only because he knocked her up at that age.  Which might be a reckoning for George and be what starts him on his ultimate path to infidelity and ultimately a heart attack.   It is definitely good drama.  The question is can it be good comedy?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

This. I know it's easy to say who cares what other people think but nearly all of us do. We are social creatures and for most people we love to have and form bonds with our community. Mary hasn't changed but everyone dropped her. And yes, she can be a sanctimonious ass at times but it does really suck to discover that her social circle is made up of fair weather friends.

Of course they dropped her, typical self righteous behavior from church goers who spout forgiveness until it applies to them.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

Why is it we have never met Heather B and Heather M? Missy talks about them all the time. But they have never appeared. I guess they are going to be like Steve Urkel and Kimmy Gibbler’s parents—the characters we never meet. 

My guess is Covid restrictions. They don't want more people and especially younger people on set because that requires even more individuals. I hope that next season or the season after we get to see Missy interacting with her friends at home or at school.

I loved Missy's scene with Georgie in the garage. It's like she was the only one who remembered that Georgie was a person going through something. Mary and George were wrapped up in thier issues and Sheldon doesn't really have the people skills/is too self-centered. Missy is fantastic. She didn't judge, she didn't offer an opinion, she was just there to listen.  

• Love 21
40 minutes ago, ahpny said:

I'm all for Mandy alone deciding what to do about her pregnancy and deciding not to marry Georgie, but I don't understand the apparently one-sided blame falling on Georgie. If, as George repeatedly argues, Georgie is "an idiot," what does that make Mandy?

I hold them equally responsible, but Georgie was wrong to lie about his age.  I think George is mostly upset that his "idiot" son (we've heard that before -not that it makes it right), got himself into a difficult situation.  Of course, Mandy & Georgie could've been using protection and it failed, but Georgie hasn't offered up that defense, so I think they both failed in that regard.  

24 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Of course they dropped her, typical self righteous behavior from church goers who spout forgiveness until it applies to them.

In defense of church goers, not all of them would act in this way.   Unfortunately, Mary's kind of a leper at the moment, and her friends are letting her down in a most disappointing way.  If the storyline ends up with Mandy losing the baby, I wonder how this will affect Mary's friendships going forward.    It will be difficult for her to remain at that church if she feels ostracized (as she feared.)  If she stays with that church, could she forgive her friends for not being supportive?  Lots of ripple effects in this pond!

• Love 12

Interesting callback...last night on a repeat of BBT, Sheldon literally moves out of his apartment because he "can't keep a secret."

And bless Missy, who truly has the kind of gift Sheldon has, but for emotional intelligence. There's no way Mandy will marry Georgie, and my guess is they'll have her leave town.

How BOUT those hypocrites in Mary's Bible study? They can't wait to show their "holier than thou" attitudes. 

Pastor Rob is a good guy...and it was disconcerting to realize he's the same age as Mandy!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

It is definitely good drama.  The question is can it be good comedy?  

This is also where I am at with this program.  It is interesting certainly, but it is not the same show as it was the first few years.  I guess everything can change and I am sure there are some that like this better as it has gotten more serious.  

I will continue to watch it, but it does not have the same appeal as it did when I tuned in for a happier, lighter comedy show.  In addition to the Georgie story line, Sheldon seems to have gotten a lot more annoying and self centered in recent times.  He is almost unbearable with his total interest in only himself.  He seems to truly have developed into someone who has no concern for anyone or anything else except himself.  His situation and problems are all that matter to him and it is not enjoyable or pleasant to watch.  I prefer scenes where Sheldon is not present.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

It appears that she's developing an emotional connection with Pastor Rob, so even if things don't get physical, this is a form of cheating.  It's very hurtful to George to know that his wife is seeking out emotional comfort with another man. 

Could it turn into an emotional affair? I guess but that's not what this is now. Pastor Rob is her coworker. She confided her family secret to him and took his advice. That's exactly the same thing George did with his coworker. There was barely any difference between the scenes. Unless you're going to tell me that George is also having an emotional affair, there's nothing wrong with what Mary did. You are allowed to have emotional connections with coworkers. Except for a dream, which Mary can't control, she's has behaved totally normally with Pastor Rob. Going outside to smoke and going to the bar for a beer are the same in my books.

The issue isn't that Mary is friends with a male coworker; it's that George and Mary have horrendous communication skills so they both need an outside outlet. If they had a stronger base, and if George had nearly cheated already and probably been closer to having an emotional affair than Mary, he wouldn't be worried about Pastor Rob.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Ironically what made Sheldon bearable in BBT was that he had people he exasperated but who genuinely liked him to bounce off of.

Wasn't there an episode in an earlier YS season in which young Sheldon offered someone "a hot beverage"?
Or am I misremembering? 
Anyway, sadly, I can't see him doing that now for Georgie or Mandy or his mom or dad or even Missy.

58 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I loved Missy's scene with Georgie in the garage. It's like she was the only one who remembered that Georgie was a person going through something. . . . Missy is fantastic. She didn't judge, she didn't offer an opinion, she was just there to listen.  

It was a great scene.
IRL, it would have been Missy telling her friend that would have sprung the leak to the rest of the community, so she was right to apologize.
But IRL, I doubt she would have apologized, which would have left her in a cycle of guilt and resentment.

41 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Pastor Rob is a good guy...and it was disconcerting to realize he's the same age as Mandy!

And Mary is just about as much older than Pastor Rob as Mandy is older than Georgie.
Wait. 
Is this show going to have Pastor Rob have a chat with Mandy that leads to him "leading her to the Lord" and Pastor Rob and Mandy falling in love and getting married?
Hopefully not. 
But IRL, in a small town in Texas in the 90s, that might have happened.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(BTW, it's not too late to go back to school, Georgie.)

Georgie could (should?) start working on his GED. Sheldon could help him. If the show wasn't already enmeshed in so much soapy drama, I think the writers are capable of writing that scenario with some wit and heart.

• Love 7

Have to believe this storyline is less about Georgie and Mandy's prospective parenthood and more about the unplanned pregnancy's impact upon George and Mary's already deteriorating relationship.

No matter what happens - the baby is born, the baby is lost, Mandy and Georgie find a way to co-parent, Mandy disappears into the Texas countryside ... great damage has been done to George and Mary's marriage. The deep seeded problems that have always been there have been brought to the surface, and odds are, they can't be pushed to the side or ignored any more.

Which just isn't much fun to watch, which is why I started thinking about "Bewitched" during the episode, imagining George as Darren and Connie as Endora, expecting to see a pudgy frog wearing a maroon shirt and tan shorts with a whistle around its neck croaking across the screen at any moment.

Finally, Missy and Georgie ... brother/sister perfection!

• Love 4

Mandy is angry because Georgie lied about his age. If he had been an adult, maybe she would feel like he could be an actual partner in this, but as it is, she's stuck in a situation where he manipulated her to get what he wanted, and now she's facing a life changing situation she didn't get into with all the relevant facts. I get why she's furious. I don't like to be lied to even when there aren't life-changing effects. What is happening now is seriously a big deal.

If the football world was as harsh on George as the Church is on Mary, and she told him "who cares what people think?" it would be absurd-- his job is already on the line, but if this pregnancy was what brought that on, George would be as upset about it as Mary is about the Church people's opinions.

I am on George's side in that I think the Church people are being terrible, so on that level I don't care about their opinions. But he has to understand that Mary's job is there, and it will make a difference.

If George and Mary had more mutual respect, he could say to her something sympathetic about how it's hard, but they will find new people who will be kind and welcoming, and they will get through it together, and in the meanwhile the focus needs to be on their family and not on people who don't love them. He could even throw something in there about how Jesus was loving, if he really wants to soothe her on her own terms.

But because the two of them don't talk at all other than fighting, neither of them knows how to navigate. 

The weird part, for me, is that it sure seems like they agree on a lot of things and are not all that incompatible, really. They could probably work it out if they tried. But neither of them seems to want to try, they just want to avoid their issues.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 13
57 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I was watching with my mom and she said whoever wrote this knows nothing about real small town churchgoing women because they all would have showed up at Mary's bible study just to get the scoop!  😄   

Considering that no one showed up, did the other women in the group decide together not to show up and pretty much shun Mary or was it a coincidence that nobody showed up. 

• Love 2

I felt so bad for Mary at the end. It sucks that people are judgemental, and faith is so important to her. George may have meant well with his advice, but it's impossible for her not to care. 

Do you guys think MeeMaw should've told Mandy that Georgie was lying about his age? I kind of go back and forth on that one. 

Sheldon blabbing to Dr. Linkletter and the latter wanting no part of it was funny. It reminded me of how Dale is often an unwilling sounding board for Georgie. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

Hang in there. Remember how long it took to finally meet Jenny Piccolo on Happy Days?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, vibeology said:

Pastor Rob is her coworker. She confided her family secret to him and took his advice.

The difference to me is that George has already seen them sitting in the parking lot smoking and having a laugh, and I think he misses that kind of interaction with Mary.  Now she took Pastor Rob's advice (much the same as George's, but with a better angle on it), and that was hurtful to him.   If he's getting a certain vibe from their relationship, then it would be best if they work on their own problems before either one of them has an affair.  

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

it's that George and Mary have horrendous communication skills so they both need an outside outlet.

I agree.  They need professional counseling.  This show is getting depressing as we watch their marriage go down the drain.  I want my COMEDY back!! 

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

George may have meant well with his advice, but it's impossible for her not to care. 

This is the kind of advice that drives me crazy.  "don't let it bother you" "who cares what they think" "rise above it".  If only we could turn our feelings on and off that easily!

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, SusanM said:

This is the kind of advice that drives me crazy.  "don't let it bother you" "who cares what they think" "rise above it".  If only we could turn our feelings on and off that easily!

So true.  The problem with most men is that they just aren't very good at giving advice.  Most think they are helping with those pearls of wisdom!!  For the show, Pastor Rob is a trained and somewhat seasoned counselor, so his advice probably does have a better angle to it than George's.   

• Love 8
5 hours ago, freeser said:

He is almost unbearable with his total interest in only himself. 

Unfortunately, that's who Sheldon is.  He improves somewhat later on in life, but for every step forward, he seems to take two steps back.  He seems to yo-yo between self-awareness and self-centeredness.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, kwnyc said:

I found it surprising. He looks older than Mandy does. Seeing the two characters next to each other, I would never guess they were the same age. Pastor Rob has been a fantastic addition to the series. 

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Wasn't there an episode in an earlier YS season in which young Sheldon offered someone "a hot beverage"?

You are correct. He offers one to Paige, but I couldn't tell which episode/season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I found it surprising. He looks older than Mandy does. Seeing the two characters next to each other, I would never guess they were the same age. Pastor Rob has been a fantastic addition to the series. 

I think it’s the mustache. He’d look so much better without that god awful pornstache. 

re Mandy: any guesses as to who they’d cast as her parents since I’m sure they’d go with special guest stars to clash with George and Mary. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

re Mandy: any guesses as to who they’d cast as her parents since I’m sure they’d go with special guest stars to clash with George and Mary. 

I'd go with Laurie Metcalf & John Goodman.  *LOL*

Or, on BBT, Penny's parents were Katy Sagal and Keith Carradine.  That would be fun to cast them, then find out Mandy had a half-sister named Penny living in Nebraska.  A love child from a tempestuous, teenage fling Wyatt had! 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Do you guys think MeeMaw should've told Mandy that Georgie was lying about his age? I kind of go back and forth on that one. 

I actually think she should have. Her not doing anything basically endorses his behavior. 

• Love 13

2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

You are correct. He offers one to Paige, but I couldn't tell which episode/season. 

It was season 3, when they go to the mall and she shoplifts body glitter.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I actually think she should have. Her not doing anything basically endorses his behavior. 

And yet, SHE is the one that kept telling Missy & Sheldon that it was none of their business.  She did exactly what she told them NOT to do.  She opened her pie hole and blabbed to Mandy, a person she had no right to blab to.    

She's not Georgie's parent or guardian.  She can't keep her nose out of things either, despite trying to hold the moral high ground.  Fail, Connie! 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

The only thing she was endorsing is him having a margarita with his date.

Edited by kay1864
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Ironically what made Sheldon bearable in BBT was that he had people he exasperated but who genuinely liked him to bounce off of.  He doesn’t have that yet so young Sheldon comes off as the least interesting character on the show.  

I agree and thank you. As he became older he had the mitigating softening of good friends who would call him out on his extreme behavior, tell him when he was being impossible; at least part of the time. As written and directed in this show Sheldon is simply obnoxious. That's on the writers and the director(s). Yes, I realize that he's alone and, to a real degree, isolated by his own IQ but he has very few restraints on his behavior which increases his problems of no friends, no reason to learn basic interactive skills or understand compromise. Sure, he's on the spectrum but he also lives, to various degrees, in the real world.

Okay, yes, this is a TV show but still...in his allowed and continued enabling he has no reason to think that some of his problems may be of his own making and so has no reason to change or adapt. He's a thoroughly unlikable character.

And, JMO, as they say.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, kay1864 said:

The only thing she was endorsing is him having a margarita with his date.

It was clear from that scene that she knew he was lying about his age and was protecting him by not blowing his cover with the girlfriend. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

And yet, SHE is the one that kept telling Missy & Sheldon that it was none of their business.  She did exactly what she told them NOT to do.  She opened her pie hole and blabbed to Mandy, a person she had no right to blab to.    

She's not Georgie's parent or guardian.  She can't keep her nose out of things either, despite trying to hold the moral high ground.  Fail, Connie! 

If we swap the genders - a 29 year old man having sex with a 17 year old girl - I think most of us would "blab". 

• Love 17
On 4/29/2022 at 5:13 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Dan Byrd (Pastor Rob) is actually closer in age to Zoe Perry (Mary) than to Emily Osment (Mandy). He's two years younger than Zoe IRL, whereas he is eight years older than Emily. I still think of him as Courteney Cox's son from Cougar Town! 

I don't mind the drama. This show always reminded me of The Wonder Years more than TBBT in terms of its format, and I always thought of The Wonder Years as more of a dramedy. It still included some comedy especially with the Dr. Linkletter scenes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
11 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

If we swap the genders - a 29 year old man having sex with a 17 year old girl - I think most of us would "blab". 

It would still be legal in the state of Texas, and I believe anybody that blabbed would still be wrong.  Swapping the sexes means nothing. 

I say Meemaw was out of line, it was never her place to confront Mandy. 

Moving on now. 

Edited by SnapHappy
2 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

It would still be legal in the state of Texas, and I believe anybody that blabbed would still be wrong.  Swapping the sexes means nothing. 

I say Meemaw was out of line, it was never her place to confront Mandy. 

Moving on now. 

I personally think she should have.  She is not out of line, she is Georgie's grandmother and is clearly looking out for his interest.  I don't think even think Mary would be upset with that.  And speaking of Mary, Meemaw should have told her he was seeing a 29 year old, too.  He may be above the age of consent but is technically still a minor until he's 18.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 4/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, BitterApple said:

If MeeMaw was aware that things had moved beyond a casual flirtation I think she should have talked to Mandy.  She could have  simply opened the conversation with "My grandson just dropped out of high school..." and Mandy would have backed off or we would have had a very different plot line going forward.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 4

Finally saw this one - not gonna lie, not a fan.  The best part of this was the scene with Missy and Georgie, as others noted it was nice to see that someone seemed to care about what he was feeling as up to now George and Mary seem totally focused on themselves.  I wasn't impressed with either of them.  Neither gave any consideration that I could see as to how what was happening was going to affect Georgie, not just now but for the rest of his life.  In fairness in a show that is at most 18 minutes long they can only do so much.