Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Bizarros In A Bizarro World

• Start Topic

Reversing the title card for Bizarroland. Love it.

The red sun and the Bizarro Earth are both cubes!! The visuals are delightful.

Is that the bottle city of Kandor??? I can't make out the other holograms.

Aww BizarroJon has powers. Now are they legit or drug induced?

BizarroLois has what look like Bangs of Sadness, hee.

BizarroJordan is an emo goth. This episode is amazing.

The BizarroFamily is known to the public and their main priority is getting their picture taken.

If the main goal of the Bizarro story is to make us appreciate the Kents even more I'd say it's working. The BizarroFam is a hoot but they'd be insufferable if the show was about them.

President Seinfeld??? HAHAHAHAHA!

Looks like Bizarro was an X-K junkie. He's also a total dick. 

BizarroLana is an BizAlly acolyte. 

So....does Bizarro look like that because of his X-K addiction?

Ok, Anderson screaming "Oooooooon!" as BizJon burned Bizarro Anderson was hilarious.

Guess your life wasn't so bad after all, huh Anderson? Feeling some regrets about various choices?

Anderson knowing about Supes' family means his death countdown has begun.

Clark, you know the farmhouse has a back door right? You can just fly out to the portal rather than having a confrontation. I know that's the only way the Allys can get the pendants and do their thing but still.

It's nice that Bizarro and BizarroTal have a good relationship. BizLana looks like Regina Mills in that wedding dress.

BizJon better not hurt SnuggleMuffin!

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

His regular-K addiction (its Bizarro Earth) plus probably getting all beat up by Jon on top of that (I'm guessing). Anderson was starting to get twitchy himself from the X-K.

• Love 4

I loved this one. Ian Bohen made Anderson much more sympathetic. I'm going to need Jon and Jordan to have the "my twin has an evil twin" conversation. Jordan Elsass did well with the character and the increased screentime. Everyone did a great job with their alternate selves, and I feel like the costumer designer must have had fun with the BizarroWorld aesthetic.  I have so many questions about Kal-El's past if he never was adopted by the Kents. Why did he name his kid Jonathan then? Did he and Tal-Rho grow up together? 

• Love 3

That was fun. No teen drama, no election drama . . . just Clark Kent trapped in a world he never made, filled with people who speak backwards. And, lucky for us, most of those people are assholes.

As much as I feel that Caity Lotz does the best work in the Arrowverse, I have to say Tyler Hoechlin is right up there. As is Arrowverse tradition, he has to play another version of the character. He played Asshole Kal so well.

Jonathan looking like  Superboy from the Nineties . . . funny. Same with Jordan going extra emo with no powers. The writers went nuts with the Bizarro World, and it shows . . . like Lana wearing a black gown at her wedding to Tal-Rho. Or the word "Dad" being recognized by both Bizarro Chrissy and Anderson because it's a palindrome. And damn, Anderson immediately regretted all the choices he made. Maybe we should ship out every a-hole we got on our Earth over there.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Now, now, nobody said it was THAT Seinfeld.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I too liked the reverse title card. The cube Bizarro World. The show needed about ten extra minutes to get the end scene of the return to Earth a little less rushed.

The Bizarro Family appeared to be some sort of weird reality show family.

Bizarro Lois was bringing back memories of the 1970s Margot Kidder Lois - the hair was similar.

Where did Bizarro Lana get her powers from?

Don't know how much longer Anderson will last - now that he knows Supe's secret and that he has the same family on Earth.

The two Allys were interesting. No idea if they will meld or just burst in to flames. I liked the blow dry/flat ironed Jordan.

Overall a rather ambitious hour for the show and the Arrowverse. Well done.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Bizarro Lois was bringing back memories of the 1970s Margot Kidder Lois - the hair was similar.

The two Allys were interesting. No idea if they will meld or just burst in to flames. I liked the blow dry/flat ironed Jordan.

Bitsie Tulloch posted about the resemblance, too.

Presumably from Kryptonite. The resistance said Ally's followers at the DOD were hopped up on Kryptonite as well.

We already saw them become one.

4 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

So everyone in Bizarro World looks like they work at Hot Topic? LOL

I would find it hilarious if Lois ran into Bizarro Lois, saw her leather pants and said "wow, I never thought I could get away with that look!" while Bizarro Lois can't help but admire that while Lois' blue jeans are too subdued of a style for her they nonetheless look mad comfortable. But I feel like both Lanas have skanky black vinyl pants, regular Lana just never wears hers.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Reversing the title card for Bizarroland. Love it.

The red sun and the Bizarro Earth are both cubes!! The visuals are delightful.

Is that the bottle city of Kandor??? I can't make out the other holograms.

Aww BizarroJon has powers. Now are they legit or drug induced?

BizarroLois has what look like Bangs of Sadness, hee.

BizarroJordan is an emo goth. This episode is amazing.

The BizarroFamily is known to the public and their main priority is getting their picture taken.

If the main goal of the Bizarro story is to make us appreciate the Kents even more I'd say it's working. The BizarroFam is a hoot but they'd be insufferable if the show was about them.

Looks like Bizarro was an X-K junkie. He's also a total dick. 

BizarroLana is an BizAlly acolyte. 

Ok, Anderson screaming "Oooooooon!" as BizJon burned Bizarro Anderson was hilarious.

Guess your life wasn't so bad after all, huh Anderson? Feeling some regrets about various choices?

Anderson knowing about Supes' family means his death countdown has begun.

Clark, you know the farmhouse has a back door right? You can just fly out to the portal rather than having a confrontation. I know that's the only way the Allys can get the pendants and do their thing but still.

It's nice that Bizarro and BizarroTal have a good relationship. BizLana looks like Regina Mills in that wedding dress.

BizJon better not hurt SnuggleMuffin!

It is interesting that they seemingly made Bizarro a combo of Bizarro and the comic book Ultraman, who is a member of the Earth-3 Crime Syndicate. Comics Bizarro just inherently has his twist on Supes' powers. Ultraman gets powered up by snorting Kryptonite. S&L seems to suggest that Bizarro Clark just passed on powers to Jon and Jordan through genetics and uses Kryptonite to get stronger/high. 

I think I'm not alone in hoping that Jordan is eventually inspired by his Bizarro counterpart and gets rid of his Frodo haircut.

I actually liked the BizarroFam and felt really sad about their rise and fall.

Does all this make BizJon MuffinSnuggle? :)

13 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Presumably Bizarro Tal-Rho (Biza-Rho?) gave her powers from a process similar to the one "our" Tal-Rho used in S1. 

9 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

She doesn't even exist in the Bizarro World, one assumes.

I head canon that Bizarro Kyle was a faithful spouse and had Bizarro Sarah and Bizarro Sophie with Bizarro Lana, before Bizarro Lana cheated on him and left him. Or that Bizarro Kyle was married to Bizarro Bartender-in-Prime-Universe Other Woman and had an affair with Bizarro Now-Bartender Lana.

I have been really excited about getting to see Bizarro World, and I was not disappointed, that was a ton of fun. You can tell that everyone on the show had a ton of fun with this one. The actors getting to play these dysfunctional reality show versions of their usual characters, the writers got to throw out lots of fun alternate universe jokes (President Seinfeld!) the set/prop designers got to add in a lot of fun little weird touches like the cube shaped pool balls and the old fashioned looking cameras, and of course the wardrobe team got to give everyone their best Hot Topic makeovers. So many blacks and reds, which really did make a striking look with the tinted reds of the world, everything did manage to feel strange and off-putting despite being similar to the regular world. Even the shot of the cubed world and the revered title card were really cool.

In Bizzaro world, Jon is the one who gets powers instead of Jordan, which is unfortunate as Jon ends up becoming an acolyte of Ally's because Kal isn't quite the involved father that Clark is, even if this all does make me feel badly for Kal in retrospect. He clearly did come to our world with good intentions, even if he messed up a lot with his family. I liked the focus on Bizzaro Jon and his issues with his dad, you can see a bit of regular Jon in there even if its being twisted around. Like our Jon, Bizarro Jon wants to do things and he struggles with resentment and insecurity towards his family, but while our Jon is well intentioned in his often ill advised attempts at helping people and doesn't let his bits of resentment and insecurity poison how much he loves his family the way that Bizzaro Jon did. Also, both Jon's have a really bad habit of dating girls who are not good influences. 

Bizzaro Jordan's bangs are amazing. Another interesting contrast, when Jon was upset that he didn't get powers, Lois told him how it didn't matter and that he was amazing no matter what. When Bizzaro Jordan was upset that he didn't get powers, Lois comforted him by saying that he would get them eventually, as the El's are quite a bit more attached to those powers and the lifestyle they bring them than the Kents.

Took you long enough to realize that you were the bad guy, Anderson. I thought the actor did a really good job here, slowly realizing how much he screwed things up and feeling terrible remorse for what he did, at least they gave him some good material before they killed him off, as things don't look good for him now.

Smallville is probably some sort of fixed point in the multiverse, no matter what world this is Superman will always end up there at some point. I like that Bizzaro Tal and Bizzaro Kal actually get along in this world. Most everyone else is more edgy in Bizzaro world but Tal is the opposite, being a pretty cheerful guy with a happy marriage to Bizzaro Lana, although I'm guessing their marriage is going to be hitting a few snags now that Bizzaro Tal helped Clark.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I enjoyed seeing the Bizarro World, even if I was a little confused as to exactly what was happening.  I noticed the title cards for each character called each one "Bizarro" even though the characters in our world never established the name for the other Kal-El as "Bizarro".

Question, since everything is reversed on Bizarro World, when Bizarro came to our Earth, everyone on our Earth heard him speaking in reverse.  On Bizarro World, when Our Anderson went there, nobody that lived there could understand him since to them, he was the one speaking in reverse.  So... how is it that nobody had any issues understanding Clark?  Maybe I missed a scene where this got explained.

I hated Bizarro Jordan's hair, and here I thought it wouldn't be possible to dislike his hair choices even more than his Frodo Baggins haircut.

I'm also confused as to how Clark has powers on Bizarro World... I thought he got his powers from the yellow sun.  I thought red sun meant he wouldn't have any.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I enjoyed seeing the Bizarro World, even if I was a little confused as to exactly what was happening.  I noticed the title cards for each character called each one "Bizarro" even though the characters in our world never established the name for the other Kal-El as "Bizarro".

Question, since everything is reversed on Bizarro World, when Bizarro came to our Earth, everyone on our Earth heard him speaking in reverse.  On Bizarro World, when Our Anderson went there, nobody that lived there could understand him since to them, he was the one speaking in reverse.  So... how is it that nobody had any issues understanding Clark?  Maybe I missed a scene where this got explained.

I hated Bizarro Jordan's hair, and here I thought it wouldn't be possible to dislike his hair choices even more than his Frodo Baggins haircut.

I'm also confused as to how Clark has powers on Bizarro World... I thought he got his powers from the yellow sun.  I thought red sun meant he wouldn't have any.

I could be completely wrong, but isn't Clark fluent at languages and can pick things up really quickly? I think he made a small comment near the start of the episode, in the Ice Fortress, when he says something like "you can't understand me" and then manages to communicate with BizarroMum.

Clark also mentioned that his powers are weakened by a red sun this episode, so he has some power it seems.

I thought this was such a cool episode and everyone did a great job (especially whoever was in charge of costumes). If I have any criticisms it's that we didn't have enough Lana. Emmanuelle Chriqui looked absolutely amazing in that black wedding dress.

Tyler Hoechlin opening his mouth and releasing fire is one of the funniest things I've seen on this show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

For the language thing, take your pick for possible explanations:

1. Armed with the knowledge he was going to Bizarro World, Clark simply is speaking backwards naturally because he has skillz.

2. Bizarro AI Lara did something to make Clark's speech seem normal to BW residents, just like Prime AI Lara made Bizarro's speech normal to us.

3. The speaking-in-reverse naturally wears off after a time in the new reality. 

4. The writers/producers got lazy/sloppy and didn't want to keep up the subtitling/sound editing to keep things being in reverse.

I'd prefer the flat emo hair to the Frodo, but to each their own. (It's not a good look, still an improvement).

As to the red sun stuff, that can vary from version to version and even within a version depending on what the writers want.

The general notion is that Kryptonians are living solar batteries that translate yellow solar radiation into superpowers. Red solar radiation could either instantly drain all the energy stored up, slowly drain the energy stored up, simply mean that the energy stored isn't replenished but not prevent the use of powers, interfere with the ability to convert stored energy to super powers or have various other effects. 

In S&L, we have already had red solar radiation completely depower Clark and Tal-Rho and it works like a light switch. Once exposed in these types of scenarios, a Kryptonian has no more powers at all, until they get out from under the red solar radiation.

But there have been plots where red solar radiation means that a Kryptonian's powers start weakening and they will soon become powerless. A Justice League cartoon had an episode where the plot was a Darkseid minion took Clark to a planet with a red sun to weaken him. In that scenario the bad guy shot Clark with a ray gun on first arrival that hurt but did not kill him the way it presumably would if he had just been a rando normie immediately. I want to say that Supergirl had an episode where she went to a planet under a red sun that drained her of her powers but in the big finish, Alex threw a yellow sun grenade that enabled her to have a quick burst of her powers back even though she was under a red sun still. 

In this particular case, just as Bizarro retained his powers under our yellow sun overall but was weakening, Clark was not immediately rendered powerless. He reported that the red sun was weakening him. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I head canon that Bizarro Kyle was a faithful spouse and had Bizarro Sarah and Bizarro Sophie with Bizarro Lana, before Bizarro Lana cheated on him and left him. Or that Bizarro Kyle was married to Bizarro Bartender-in-Prime-Universe Other Woman and had an affair with Bizarro Now-Bartender Lana.

I don't think the timeline would work out for the former, because Jonathan and Jordan were babies at Lana and Tal's wedding, so Sophie at least wasn't born yet.

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I have been really excited about getting to see Bizarro World, and I was not disappointed, that was a ton of fun. You can tell that everyone on the show had a ton of fun with this one.

Another interesting contrast, when Jon was upset that he didn't get powers, Lois told him how it didn't matter and that he was amazing no matter what. When Bizzaro Jordan was upset that he didn't get powers, Lois comforted him by saying that he would get them eventually, as the El's are quite a bit more attached to those powers and the lifestyle they bring them than the Kents.

So much fanfic fuel in the unexplored aspects of the Bizarro World.

I noticed that, too; a subtle but notable contrast.

7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Both Jon-El at the end of the previous episode and Clark in this one spoke "backwards" for a second and then spoke the way the natives of the world they were in did, so it might be a Kryptonian thing. Except Bizarro Kal-El didn't do it. But that could be attributable to his degraded state.

• Love 1

So this is this season’s “A Brief Reminiscence In Between Cataclysmic Events” — and it was just as fantastic as the Season 1 episode. I could do well with one of these each season. Loved seeing the Bizarro World backstory; so many interesting hair choices lol. I thought it was clever to show Bizarro Kal’s degraded state as the result of kryptonite abuse. I do wish that our Kents could learn about the other family’s history as well.

I’d been increasingly convinced throughout this season that Jon is probably never going to truly manifest powers of his own, and I’m still mostly convinced that Clark is going to get there at the last millisecond to save him — but if the two Jons do actually merge and that’s how he gets powers? That wouldn’t be too bad.

What a blast! I had to step back and just admire the batsh*t crazy of S&L deciding to do the Bizarro storyline. Modern comics / shows / movies usually try to have some nod to actual science, but this is just “language is backwards and Earth is square.” Completely nuts! And yet they did such a fantastic job with the characterizations, the family story, etc., as they always do. I freaking love this show.

• Love 1

On rewatch I just caught that Jon-El mentioned his dad hosting “the Kevins” instead of the Oscars. Also hilarious.

Maybe it was a shout-out to another Superman fan, Kevin Smith who had an idea for an abortive Superman movie.

Even though he was a drug addled fame addict Bizarro who neglected his kids Bizarro Kal wasn't all bad.  That's a shame, because if he had just crossed the line and killed Ally when he took her pendant all of this could have been avoided.

• Love 2

Clark is unassuming and doesn't rub your face in it, but he is really smart, so able to understand and talk backwards very quickly. It might have something to do with extra fast thinking, since Jon has powers and also can talk 'normally'. Anderson clearly figured out what was happening and could write simple words, but not talk backwards. Kal was probably deep into withdrawal by the time he hit Clark's world.

Kal appeared to be really damaged, but he had powers in Clark's World, so it makes 'sense' Clark would have some powers in his world.

I have assumed that Clark and Tal Rho don't have powers in the cage because they are being blocked with kryptonite initially, and the red lighting may be introduced to reinforce the effect.

The real puzzlers are where the pendants came from, why Ally and Ally's faction knows about them, what benefit is going to accrue to her by merging, and why she doesn't do it when she has the chance. It seems like this was a long term project in Allies families?  all of those questions? Is this other world a recent fracture between the two worlds, maybe magical? Is it possible there will be merging and we will hardly know the difference, except the pool balls will be cubes. I really liked the pool shot, which is a common start to scenes set in bars, and the pool cubes were convincingly functional.

I hope Jon will come out of this deciding he'd rather be without special powers than evil.

4 hours ago, AD35 said:

Maybe it was a shout-out to another Superman fan, Kevin Smith who had an idea for an abortive Superman movie.

That's a thought. I had nothing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, kickingnames said:

— but if the two Jons do actually merge and that’s how he gets powers? That wouldn’t be too bad.

I want the above to happen, but if not...then, the below is OK

2 hours ago, Affogato said:

I hope Jon will come out of this deciding he'd rather be without special powers than evil.

• Love 2

By the logic of Bizarro World, shouldn't Jordan be less emo, and not even more emo?

I wasn't sure I was going to like the "backstory of all the alternative world characters" storytelling, but this turned out to be a real good episode. They even got me to have sympathy for Anderson (largely because of Ian Bohen's amazing acting turn).

• Love 1

In general, I'm pretty much a sucker for these type of "alternate world" episodes that allow the actors to play against type usually and make things go differently both in a big way and sometimes in smaller but fun ways (all of the Hot Topic getups!)  But even then, I thought this was just a really great episode and one of the better versions of this type of story in some time.

I really liked how they didn't just simply make the "good guys" be bad guys in this world, but just different in ways that are believable and you can see how they became the way they are still.  Kal wasn't just an evil Superman in this world, but someone who had let fame get to him and caused his ego to get out of control, and it effected his relationship with his family for the worst.  But it was done in a way where you can see there was some goodness in him and that's why he did "become" Bizarro and risk his life to try and stop Ally, because he still believed in the right thing and loved his family.  It was just a great take on the character and Tyler Hoechlin really nailed all of it down.

Jordan Elass was also clearly having a blast as Bizarro Jonathan with powers, but I also liked how, again, a lot of his actions weren't out of pure evil, but because his own insecurities and fractured relationship with his dad led him down a dark path and be susceptible to Ally's song and dance.  It seems that it doesn't matter if he has powers or not: Jonathan is an insecure kid who reacts first, before he thinks things through.

Not surprised Bizarro Tal-Rho and Lana are married in this world, but I can dig it (and I can't blame him: Emmanuelle Chriqui is gorgeous no matter what, but was really rocking that hot bartender look!)  I also liked how Kal and Tal were closer here and, in general, Tal was just a charming man before he also got roped into Ally's plan.  Still crazy to think I found Adam Rayner to be so dull on that Tyrant show years ago, but he really shines with this character.

Figured Anderson was a goner once he realized he was on the wrong side of things, but at least he saw the error of his ways and went down swinging.  Ian Bohen was able to do a lot with what he was given.

President Seinfeld, huh?  If it's the Seinfeld I'm thinking of, I'm going to assume Larry David is his Press Secretary.  And Julia Louis-Dreyfus is clearly his VP!

I guess a Bizarro Sarah doesn't exist, but I wonder if we'll see a Bizarro Kyle or Bizarro Irons?

Oh, shit!  Run Jonathan, run!

• Love 6

This was a superb Bizarro World episode and I especially liked that Bizarro Superman wasn't  inherently evil, he loved his publicity and became a vapid famewhore :):)  But when he saw just how much danger his family was in because of Ally, he went back into superhero mode and risked his life to save everyone.

Anderson turned out to be rather brave and I liked the sincerity of his apology to both Jordan and Clark--Ian Bohen can sell character redemption like nobody's business. 

The Bizzaro versions of Kal-el and Tal-rho had a great sibling relationship and good for him for choosing to help Clark--watching the two Allys meld into one must have really freaked him out :)

• Love 6

I cannot believe Emanuelle Chiqrui is 46 - she looks amazing.

While I wondered why they made the Kyle/Lana split so final I’m now absolutely certain it’s because they want to put her with Edge/Tal El or at the very least test it out.

43 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

While I wondered why they made the Kyle/Lana split so final I’m now absolutely certain it’s because they want to put her with Edge/Tal El or at the very least test it out.

Please don't throw rotten fruit at me, but if I had to choose who is the better looking man, it's Morgan Edge for me...

15 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I don't know if the Kyle/Lana split is anything close to final. All that has happened is that they are separated and testing things out.

I don't think that it's likely that they will try to pair Lana with Edge. He's locked up in a military prison, after all. The chance that the two will interact is relatively small, let alone that Lana will get over what he had done.

I think it's way more likely that they will flirt with a Lana-Clark-Lois triangle.

Edge is following the standard Woobie path - evil because his daddy was mean and he was misunderstand. Snarky. Hasn’t taken it far enough that he can’t be redeemed (I can’t recall if he’s been redeemed). 

Kyle on the other hand had a six month affair that happened off screen with little to no context other than he drank a lot. Lana and Kyle were far from a happy marriage when we met them and while it wouldn’t excuse an affair it would offer background on why he cheated. They’re not exploring it. It’s basically picked up in that he’s sorry but Lana is understandably over it and ready to move on. He also doesn’t interact with anyone outside the Cushing/Cortez’s anymore which makes me wonder where he fits if not married to Lana.

while I don’t think the show has been as good this season I really don’t think the writers would be stupid to go there with Lana/Clark/Lois.

(edited)

Great episode.   For a second there during the red carpet scene and back on the farm when Lois complains "All you do is fly around the world!" and Kal explodes, "I'm a superhero!" it felt like an outtake from The Boys.

On 4/26/2022 at 11:32 PM, scruff said:

The   greatest    thing  about  this   episode   was    that   there   was  NO SARAH  in any  way, shape  or   form.  

I would argue John Henry, Natalie and Kyle are the three biggest drags on the show, but I hear you.

Edited by millennium

I know Bizarro Earth is canonically a cube, but I can’t help wondering - what happens at the edge? Does gravity switch from North/South to East /West when you go over the edge? I guess we’ll never know. I do wonder if we’re going to revisit another Bizarro World, because (a bit like Star Trek’s Mirror Universe) it can be a fun place to visit.

How did Lois instantly know it wasn’t “her” Jonathan? Does she know he never changes his hairstyle? Also, I don't see how unifying your various selves makes you any more powerful. In Supes case, he would actually gain powers (fire as well as ice breath, for example) but for most people you'd just gain knowledge. But maybe I'm overthinking this.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:45 PM, blackwing said:

when Bizarro came to our Earth, everyone on our Earth heard him speaking in reverse.  On Bizarro World, when Our Anderson went there, nobody that lived there could understand him since to them, he was the one speaking in reverse.  So... how is it that nobody had any issues understanding Clark?

I don’t think it was explained, but “our” Fortress managed to translate Bizarro, so I assume “their” Fortress did the same for Clark.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:36 PM, John Potts said:

I know Bizarro Earth is canonically a cube, but I can’t help wondering - what happens at the edge? Does gravity switch from North/South to East /West when you go over the edge? I guess we’ll never know. I do wonder if we’re going to revisit another Bizarro World, because (a bit like Star Trek’s Mirror Universe) it can be a fun place to visit.

How did Lois instantly know it wasn’t “her” Jonathan? Does she know he never changes his hairstyle? Also, I don't see how unifying your various selves makes you any more powerful. In Supes case, he would actually gain powers (fire as well as ice breath, for example) but for most people you'd just gain knowledge. But maybe I'm overthinking this.

I don’t think it was explained, but “our” Fortress managed to translate Bizarro, so I assume “their” Fortress did the same for Clark.

The image of ocean liners going over the edge of the cube....ouch.

I think Clark could have simply reversed his speech, once he knew what was going on. Lois could probably understand reverse speech, at least enough to get by, or anyone really.