Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E18: Lizzo

• Start Topic

Is this the first time that a host doubling as the musical guest has introduced themselves?

This is the first musical performance that I've watched in eons and I LOVED it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Mayor of Gametown was so dumb, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Also loved the skewering of the Blackeye Peas.

This was the one I thought was so dumb that I couldn't stop laughing.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Is this the first time that a host doubling as the musical guest has introduced themselves?

Yes, at least that I can remember.

I wonder why a cast member didn't do it.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, saoirse said:

Hmm, Weekend Update seemed short?

Yes, I thought it seemed brief. 

But Melissa's bit was a bit long for me. LOL

Also, loved the screenshot for Gilbert Gottfried, but I really wished they had showed a clip from when he was on the show. He deserved that.

• Love 13

Cold Open: It's Easter, aka Warm Halloween, and Bowen is the Easter Bunny! Jus: t when we thought we were spared a political cold open, they trot out all the impressions. Loved Cecily as MTG ("God bless Russia America"), and Chris Redd was still perfect as Eric Adams. Loved seeing Chloe in a sketch, and Kyle as Jesus Jared Leto. I honestly don't think we needed Trump in this sketch, despite JAJ continuing to nail the impression. "Let's not forget Egg" was jut a dumb, silly line and I hate how good it is. 

Monologue: Lizzo! She was great, and she's got great energy.

Guess That!: You know Lizzo is bringing it when Kenan starts to break in the first sketch.

TikTok: Good to see another TikTok sketch I'm too old to know TikTok and to know if there's any specific videos they're spoofing (apparently Crawling on All Fours Guy is one), but I really liked this one. Got a giant laugh out of the Airhorn Grandma channel. That was a great payoff with the Crawling Guy.

Black Eyed Peas: Time to feel old! This song was from 14 years ago, so this is considered nostalgic. A fun sketch, but I don't know why someone was clamoring for a 2008 Black Eyed Peas sketch in 2022.

Grandpa: Speaking of out of date sketches, here's a sketch about Lizzo's grandpa being Mr. Six. When I saw "Six Flags" in the preview, I was NOT expecting Sarah and Ego dancing around. And then their poker buddies showing up. And then EVERYONE showed up dressed as Mr. Six. Incredibly dumb, but I kept laughing.

Please Don't Destroy: Incredibly manic. "I guess I gotta go get killed by Andrew Dismukes" was great. Lizzo brings so much to these sketches tonight.

WU: Yep, Elon Musk would really spend $43 billion to say the N-word on twitter again. The jokes were on fire tonight. Loved the reaction to Che's "iPhone factory" joke.

Orgy: I thought Kenan with the snake was wild, but here comes Kate making out with a goat! I was a fan of this sketch. It was fun and got to use a lot of the cast. Kyle definitely had the best energy, followed by Dismukes being smacked with the grapes.

Orchestra: Hey, they wrote a sketch about Lizzo's flute playing! I loved everyone playing their instruments. Loved Kate as the weird harp lady, and Aidy doing her best to hold the violin. Honestly, Alex had the best seat in the house in this sketch. And loved the visual of everyone twerking at the end, even the extras. That tuba player was doing his best.

Investing: I was expecting Steve to be into NFTs, was NOT expecting Beanie Babies. In 2022. And then drawing Green Mario. This was so ungodly dumb, but I really liked it.

All in all, pretty good show! Lizzo's energy was so great and pure, and honestly half of these sketches wouldn't have worked without it. It was sweet to see Lizzo's mom introduce her for the second song.

The show returns May 7th with Benedict Cumberbatch & Arcade Fire.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 14

Pretty good show, but I won't say because of the writing.  I really liked Lizzo's energy and I don't really know THAT much about her besides her big hits.  

She was infectious, likeable, and surprisingly good at this.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15

A lot of this show was pretty silly, but it worked for me. I really enjoyed most of it.

The Please Don't Destroy have become one of my very favorite parts of the show.

Just when I thought the Ancient Orgy sketch was dragging, Kate kissed a goat. Never thought I'd see that.

I will say I think they are overdoing Trump in the Cold Opens, but damn he did get me with Captain Crunch being rude to him at Count Chocola's 500th Birthday party. So very silly.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Orgy: I thought Kenan with the snake was wild, but here comes Kate making out with a goat! I was a fan of this sketch. It was fun and got to use a lot of the cast. Kyle definitely had the best energy, followed by Dismukes being smacked with the grapes.

Orchestra: Hey, they wrote a sketch about Lizzo's flute playing! I loved everyone playing their instruments. Loved Kate as the weird harp lady, and Aidy doing her best to hold the violin. Honestly, Alex had the best seat in the house in this sketch. And loved the visual of everyone twerking at the end, even the extras. That tuba player was doing his best.

I could not get through these two sketches.  I thought they really dragged without much humour and I wasn't going to sit through them to wait for the payoff.

The rest was okay to good though.  Some funny moments in there.

11 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Black Eyed Peas: Time to feel old! This song was from 14 years ago, so this is considered nostalgic. A fun sketch, but I don't know why someone was clamoring for a 2008 Black Eyed Peas sketch in 2022.

This sketch really spoke to me, I liked it.

This show is always really good at those TikTok sketches.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

This is the first musical performance that I've watched in eons and I LOVED it.

Brandi Carlile Was A Wonderful Singer And Her Second Song Was Sensational ! She Can Hold Those Long Notes While Modulating Which Means Changing Keys OR Going Higher ! ! 

• Love 1

Andrew Dismukes faired well this show. I enjoyed it overall, Lizzo is engaging and charismatic. Definitely enjoyed the Please Don’t Destroy and the TikToc sketches. And the musical performances were excellent. Not the best show but definitely a good one for me.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

All in all, pretty good show! Lizzo's energy was so great and pure, and honestly half of these sketches wouldn't have worked without it. It was sweet to see Lizzo's mom introduce her for the second song.

This is so true -- Lizzo *made* this show, and her mom was great. 

• Love 12
59 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: It's Easter, aka Warm Halloween, and Bowen is the Easter Bunny! Jus: t when we thought we were spared a political cold open, they trot out all the impressions. Loved Cecily as MTG ("God bless Russia America"), and Chris Redd was still perfect as Eric Adams. Loved seeing Chloe in a sketch, and Kyle as Jesus Jared Leto. I honestly don't think we needed Trump in this sketch, despite JAJ continuing to nail the impression. "Let's not forget Egg" was jut a dumb, silly line and I hate how good it is. 

Monologue: Lizzo! She was great, and she's got great energy.

Guess That!: You know Lizzo is bringing it when Kenan starts to break in the first sketch.

TikTok: Good to see another TikTok sketch I'm too young to know TikTok and to know if there's any specific videos they're spoofing (apparently Crawling on All Fours Guy is one), but I really liked this one. Got a giant laugh out of the Airhorn Grandma channel. That was a great payoff with the Crawling Guy.

Grandpa: Speaking of out of date sketches, here's a sketch about Lizzo's grandpa being Mr. Six. When I saw "Six Flags" in the preview, I was NOT expecting Sarah and Ego dancing around. And then their poker buddies showing up. And then EVERYONE showed up dressed as Mr. Six. Incredibly dumb, but I kept laughing.

Please Don't Destroy: Incredibly manic. "I guess I gotta go get killed by Andrew Dismukes" was great. Lizzo brings so much to these sketches tonight.

WU: Yep, Elon Musk would really spend $43 billion to say the N-word on twitter again. The jokes were on fire tonight. Loved the reaction to Che's "iPhone factory" joke.

Investing: I was expecting Steve to be into NFTs, was NOT expecting Beanie Babies. In 2022. And then drawing Green Mario. This was so ungodly dumb, but I really liked it.

The show returns May 7th with Benedict Cumberbatch & Arcade Fire.

Was Elon Musk Mikey Day ? I Could Not Tell Who Was Elon Musk ! Chloe Is Often In A Sketch ! Where Was Punkie Tonight ? Is Pete STILL Doing A Movie Or Does Pete Have The Corona Virus ? I Don't Think Pete Was On Last Week Either ! Did You Like Melissa On Week End Up Date ?  

Lizzo’s stint as host reminded me of Adele’s. Not professional comedians or actors, but you could sense the joy they had doing the show. I don’t usually like when a sketch member breaks, but Lizzo’s breaks were adorable.

A couple of weird cultural reference points. The Black Eyed Peas song? The Six Flags guy? How old are their writers?

The past couple of episodes, Andrew Dismukes has been delivering some lines in a very Mulaney way. Maybe he always did and I never noticed it before.

• Love 10

I agree. Lizzo's energy was so much fun and there were a lot of breaks--not just from her but I think I noticed the cast smirking (trying not to smile) quite a bit.  Heidi almost lost it when Aidy stood up to say that they should all twerk. 

But since silliness was so inherent in so many of the sketches, it absolutely worked.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I honestly don't think we needed Trump in this sketch, despite JAJ continuing to nail the impression.

They should have hired JAJ when the impression was still relevant. I really don't want to see this anymore; just because you can do an impression doesn't mean it's still relevant. I have nothing against JAJ, but he needs to develop an impression of someone else.

Lizzo is so dynamic and wonderful that even when her material is mediocre, I love it anyway. 

I did think there was too much breaking all around. 

Kate put a carrot in her mouth, I think, and the goat ate it from her lips, which is how they got the "kissing". The goat was adorable, though. That whole sketch did go on a bit long, but I loved it. The ending was a bit of a surprise, and I can't decide if my bigger reaction is that it was horrifying that they were staging an orgy for a child, or if I'm just going to let it go and be impressed that the kid actor really carried it off-- he looked absolutely imperial.

Horny Zookeeper was one hell of a song.

Also loved TikTok, Twerking Orchestra, and really for the most part, everything was silly and fun and silly and joyful and goofy. 

Lizzo looks great in shiny clothes. I was thinking she looks great in blue during the monologue, and then I was thinking she looks great in yellow when she was singing in a shiny yellow outfit, too. She just looks great. But I especially liked the shiny clothes. I think they amplify her own radiance. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, saoirse said:

Definitely enjoyed the Please Don’t Destroy and the TikToc sketches.

Those were my favorites, too.  I enjoyed the first TikTok sketch from the Billie Eilish episode so much, I actually have gone back and watched it a couple of times on YouTube in the weeks (months?  time has no meaning) it aired, so I was really happy to see a sequel here.  I still think the first is the best, no contest, but the “studying for the LSATs” running joke was solid.  Like @vb68, Please Don’t Destroy is becoming a major highlight for me, as well.

38 minutes ago, SHD said:

A couple of weird cultural reference points. The Black Eyed Peas song? The Six Flags guy? How old are their writers?

I was really scratching my head about the Six Flags dancing guy because I thought I remembered reading in the news that Six Flags had retired the mascot, and I just looked it up, and they did:  in 2010?!  Why they did a sketch on him, so early in the show, was so bizarre.

I enjoyed the Black Eyed Peas sketch, though.  If I were to bet money, I’d wager that was borne from a writer having old iTunes purchases on shuffle while working late and having an existential crisis over how nonsensical the lyrics can be.   But really, perhaps none of us can truly appreciate the sublime poetry of “I'm so 3008 // You so 2000 and late.”

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Other than the cold open, I didn't really dislike anything in this episode, I thought it was a much-needed dose of fun and creativity. One of my favorite episodes this season, especially the last few sketches. I might have trimmed down the throne room and Black Eyed Peas sketches to fit in a shorter version of the Costco sketch as it's surprisingly entertaining at times (much better than the Kim K version).

• Love 3

Lizzo was fantastic!

Colin and Che were reacting to their WU jokes as if they’d never seen them, like when they do the end-of-season writing for each other. Last minute punch-ups from the other writers?

Aristotle and Punkie sightings:

• Throne room orgy—Aristotle played the loud abrasive music and Punkie announced the entrance of the king
  • TikTok—Aristotle just got a haircut and Punkie is angry you don’t know the difference between you’re/your (same, girl!)

Could be more but I didn’t even try to figure out who was under all the Six Flags guy makeup in that sketch.

• Love 3

5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I might have trimmed down the throne room and Black Eyed Peas sketches to fit in a shorter version of the Costco sketch as it's surprisingly entertaining at times (much better than the Kim K version).

I really liked that Costco sketch. I didn't watch the Kim K episode. So they did this before?

I don't really know Lizzo's music, except for Good As Hell. I saw her interviewed on some show a couple of years ago (?), and I really liked her. She seems like a wonderful, loving, positive person, and that all came thru on the show. I'm sure her mother is the same kind of person.

I liked the CO. My favorite was probably Jared Leto saying, "Hey, it's me, Jesus Christ." And although I wish TFG would disappear, I do enjoy JAJ's impression. The rambling word salads are hilarious, and not far from real. Question: I remember TFG referring to his border wall as "wall" -- no "the" -- and then people in his administration and elsewhere referred to it as "wall." I figure they did it to cover for the boss. ("Hey, he meant to say that.") My question is has TFG done similar misspeaking? (I know he did/does A LOT of misspeaking.) Is JAJ's impression with "egg" and so forth simply from TFG's "wall" misspeak or from others?

I think TikTok was my favorite bit from last night. It's just silly fun.

I also liked the Black Eyed Peas sketch, though I got a little confused. At first the recording execs (Lizzo and Aidy) were trying to get the BEPs to do meaningful lyrics, but then they were excited about the inane lyrics.

Loved seeing the Six Flags Guy. I liked the weirdness when those commercials aired, so it was fun to see him again. I do wonder if people who post-date the guy had any idea what that was all about.

I thought this Please Don't Destroy video was good. Not all of them strike my fancy.

Melissa's Cesar Perez character was great. I didn't think it went on too long. Very cute and funny.

Can't say I liked the orgy sketch. THAT one went on too long. When we first glimpsed Aidy's character, I thought her deal was going to be something about huffing.

I'm not a fan of twerking, so too much twerking for me. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

The last time I watched a full SNL was when Dan Levy hosted.  Caught this because I was grappling with insomnia last night.  But man, I was very impressed by Lizzo.  She was a natural.  Just a lot of energy and verve.  She didn't seem like she was reading off cards or gave off awkward at all.  Just out of the gate really good.  Good for her!

• Love 5

eh. Not that great  IMO. LIzzo was great, good energy, but the writing wasn't up to it. I thought the orgy sketch dragged and I echo the "why now?" comments about the BEP sketch. WU continues to kill.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

TikTok: Good to see another TikTok sketch I'm too young to know TikTok and to know if there's any specific videos they're spoofing (apparently Crawling on All Fours Guy is one), but I really liked this one. Got a giant laugh out of the Airhorn Grandma channel. That was a great payoff with the Crawling Guy.

I guess I'm an 'old' because I could not make it through this one.

Loved Lizzo introducing herself; also her mom looks great!

10 hours ago, SHD said:

The past couple of episodes, Andrew Dismukes has been delivering some lines in a very Mulaney way. Maybe he always did and I never noticed it before.

I've always thought he looked and sounded like John Mulaney.

I enjoyed the show tonight. Most of the sketches didn't drag on too long for me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

The last time I watched a full SNL was when Dan Levy hosted.  Caught this because I was grappling with insomnia last night.  But man, I was very impressed by Lizzo.  She was a natural.  Just a lot of energy and verve.  She didn't seem like she was reading off cards or gave off awkward at all.  Just out of the gate really good.  Good for her!

I liked her, but I actually thought she looked like she was reading the cue cards more than anyone I’d ever seen. I forgive it as she’s more known for music. She has good comedy chops nonetheless. The game show sketch was very well written, and I really liked it. One of the best of the night. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I thought the cue card reading was very obvious, but I don't blame her.  I hear that they do a lot of last minute sketch revising and she's not a trained actor.  I agree with everything else.

• Love 5

I also loved Lizzo.  I'd never buy her music (not my thing) but I'd watch her in a comedy movie for sure (definitely my thing).

I thought the writing was pretty good.  E.g, the game show sketch was not the usual dumb contestant re-hash, but instead an obstinate, defiant, contestant twist.  And when they had Keenan's "score" go to -150, it was hilarious.  Even a lot of the throwaway lines were funny.  I also have to admit that in the orchestra sketch, when Aidy piped up about all the players tweaking (and then they all did), I did not see it coming and it was delightful. 

WU continues to crush, even if a little short(?)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I really liked that Costco sketch. I didn't watch the Kim K episode. So they did this before?

That one was also cut. I think the Lizzo version was better. I guess whoever writes these take their continuity seriously because the Lizzo sketch was set after this one even though it never aired.

4 hours ago, ahisma said:

Lizzo was fantastic!

Colin and Che were reacting to their WU jokes as if they’d never seen them, like when they do the end-of-season writing for each other. Last minute punch-ups from the other writers?

Aristotle and Punkie sightings:

• Throne room orgy—Aristotle played the loud abrasive music and Punkie announced the entrance of the king
  • TikTok—Aristotle just got a haircut and Punkie is angry you don’t know the difference between you’re/your (same, girl!)

Could be more but I didn’t even try to figure out who was under all the Six Flags guy makeup in that sketch.

Aristotle walked in with Kate and Kyle as the Six Flags trio.

Apparently he was cut from the cold open (he was Dr. Oz). I would have kept him in over MTG...

13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I'm not sure how much was real as I don't follow a lot of tiktok (although I always enjoy these pre-tapes), but apparently Bowen is based on a real person, and the Lizzo/Sarah scene is based on Whitney Cummings interviewing Miranda Cosgrove, which became a dance craze on there.

2 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

eh. Not that great  IMO. LIzzo was great, good energy, but the writing wasn't up to it. I thought the orgy sketch dragged and I echo the "why now?" comments about the BEP sketch. WU continues to kill.

I saw a lot of "it's time due to nostalgia" comments about the BEP sketch. I could see that, although I wonder if it's also down to wanting a  sketch Lizzo could do without a lot of effort as well as Bowen and Cecily enjoying their share of campery. Cecily was probably  the best part of this for me - a nice recovery after last week's episode.

I liked the orgy sketch, liked getting to see the whole cast (mostly - I don't think JAJ was in it), but it did run too long. I would have trimmed the Kyle part way down, and trimmed Kate a  bit too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I wish I had better computer skills because Lizzo’s “ladies and gentlemen…me!” is a future GIF/meme waiting to happen.

She was absolutely fantastic in this episode, such high energy, always game for anything, I didn’t even mind the breaking at all.  

The Six Flag skit was silly as hell but I couldn’t stop laughing.  But, I, also, am trying to figure out the age of the writers’ room based on this and the Black Eyed Pea sketch.  Like…Gen X bordering on geriatric millennials?  I enjoyed both but having two culturally nostalgic sketches in the same episode seemed weird.  I guess three if you count the Beanie Babies sketch.

• Love 3

My only thoughts:

"What Is It?" was probably my favorite sketch, especially when Chris Redd offered to give her $50.

It seemed like the size/satisfaction jokes about the Six Flag Guy(s) were an ad-lib, but it was a nice twist either way.

I did think there was too much breaking all around. 

This was my only complaint, but there was also as sense that Lizzo just brought so much fun that it was infectious.

In the Beanie Babies sketch, I thought it was funny that I had a Beanie Baby that looked like one of those (paid $7 for it at a store; I liked it; I don't think it ever got valuable.)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Maybe not technically the same, but did Garth Brooks introduce Chris Gaines?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought the cue card reading was very obvious, but I don't blame her.  I hear that they do a lot of last minute sketch revising and she's not a trained actor.  I agree with everything else.

It bothers me more when the cast can't stop being glued to the cards either. I know some fans have claimed this shows the weaknesses of newer casts, but I blame direction more. Since the show got a new director (Liz Patrick) this season I feel like that aspect has really improved, enough to where the host having to rely on cards doesn't bother me as much (especially if they aren't professional actors).

19 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

I wish I had better computer skills because Lizzo’s “ladies and gentlemen…me!” is a future GIF/meme waiting to happen.

She was absolutely fantastic in this episode, such high energy, always game for anything, I didn’t even mind the breaking at all.  

The Six Flag skit was silly as hell but I couldn’t stop laughing.  But, I, also, am trying to figure out the age of the writers’ room based on this and the Black Eyed Pea sketch.  Like…Gen X bordering on geriatric millennials?  I enjoyed both but having two culturally nostalgic sketches in the same episode seemed weird.  I guess three if you count the Beanie Babies sketch.

I think most of the writers are in their 20s and 30s, with a few who might be older. 

Here is a list of the writers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Saturday_Night_Live_writers#Season_47_(2021-22)

2 minutes ago, grif305 said:

Maybe not technically the same, but did Garth Brooks introduce Chris Gaines?

I think so. I can't remember.

I think Timberlake introduced himself once, and maybe Chance the Rapper (although he might have introduced a video of someone and then he went and sang after that).

I did really like the way Lizzo introduced herself. Great panache.

• Love 1

Lizzo was fantastic. She’d still be pumping after sketches ended and the host wrangler would come and grab her. Need Lizzo in the 5-Timers Club.

Melissa's Cesar Perez character

Made me hit the mute button. 

• Love 2

My favorite parts of this episode were Lizzo cracking up. I thought she was so funny and made the sketches more fun for me. This is a comedy show after all, even if some weeks it doesn't seem like it. This week, it did. I also laughed when she introduced herself.

I also know someone who was a massive Beanie Baby collector back when, he would even make/sell Beanie clothing. Dude was raking in the big bucks for a while. So I got a kick out of that sketch.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ahisma said:

Punkie is angry you don’t know the difference between you’re/your

I loved that so much. As a person who proofreads everything at least twice and still makes mistakes, I know it's petty of me, but that particular error drives me crazy. 

I'm surprised they're allowed to cut the Costco sketches. I assume they are product placement, so you'd think they'd be mandatory. 

• Love 2

I've got to admit, Lizzo added a lot to the sketches (and her songs).  Not sure what it is, positivity, energy, and enthusiasm I guess.

My favorite part was the laughing smile on Heidi Gardner's face right before she and the whole orchestra started twerking.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I'm surprised they're allowed to cut the Costco sketches. I assume they are product placement, so you'd think they'd be mandatory. 

Streeter Seidell, one of the writers, claimed a few years ago they aren't paid to mention products in sketches, some of them just do because they think using real names works more for the comedy. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2