Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E18: Lizzo

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

In the Beanie Babies sketch, I thought it was funny that I had a Beanie Baby that looked like one of those (paid $7 for it at a store; I liked it; I don't think it ever got valuable.)

I saw one that I still have: the bat. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Aristotle walked in with Kate and Kyle as the Six Flags trio.

Apparently he was cut from the cold open (he was Dr. Oz). I would have kept him in over MTG...

I was watching this with the closed captioning on, and the show apparently submitted that with an earlier version of the script; it wasn't live captioned. The entire MTG segment was captioned with the Oz script and during the Eric Adams segment, was the script from the MTG bit. It was disorienting. Then the actors and the captioning lined up again when it switched to whoever was after Adams. I've already forgotten the sequence afterward.

• Useful 3
16 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I liked her, but I actually thought she looked like she was reading the cue cards more than anyone I’d ever seen. I forgive it as she’s more known for music.

Look up Robert DeNiro.  He's the absolute worst, especially for someone who is such an acclaimed actor. I guess there's a reason he doesn't do stage like Pacino and others.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I wasn't too bothered by Lizzo's obvious reading of cue cards because she didn't sound like she was reading. She sounded very natural.

11 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I was watching this with the closed captioning on, and the show apparently submitted that with an earlier version of the script; it wasn't live captioned. The entire MTG segment was captioned with the Oz script and during the Eric Adams segment, was the script from the MTG bit. It was disorienting. Then the actors and the captioning lined up again when it switched to whoever was after Adams. I've already forgotten the sequence afterward.

Now I want to go back and watch with CC on. I hope it's still as you saw it.

Last night I'm lying in bed, waiting to go to sleep, and that Six Flags theme song popped into my head.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I had no idea those characters were a Six Flags thing.  Guess I haven’t/ hadn’t seen many of their advertisements.

In another “I’m old” realization, I don’t do TikTok, but the whole segment had me laughing a lot.

Also loved the Lizzo with the writers sketch.  Those guys have the best facial expressions!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I wasn't too bothered by Lizzo's obvious reading of cue cards because she didn't sound like she was reading. She sounded very natural.

I agree.  I know what you mean.  She was very good at hosting even with breaking and cue card reading.  She made it work and was likeable.  

• Love 4

Oh, did anybody notice in Lizzo's first performance that at least one of the dancers was from her Amazon Prime series "Watch Out For The Big Grrrls"? Charity was in the front on the left. The other dancers may have been from the show as well. Maybe Asia and Arianna? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I thought it was one of the worst episodes of the season. I laughed once during the cold open and a couple of times during WU. I ended up fast-forwarding through about half of the show, including the musical performances.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

I thought it was one of the worst episodes of the season. I laughed once during the cold open and a couple of times during WU. I ended up fast-forwarding through about half of the show, including the musical performances.

Just out of curiosity, which is your favorite show of the season so far?

6 hours ago, JZL said:

Just out of curiosity, which is your favorite show of the season so far?

Surprisingly, Willem Dafoe. Even though I don't recall if I've ever seen any of his movies, I've always had the impression that he just does dramatic, darker roles. So it was so unexpected to see just how much fun he was having and I think I laughed more during this episode than any others this season.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2022 at 11:10 AM, peeayebee said:

Last night I'm lying in bed, waiting to go to sleep, and that Six Flags theme song popped into my head.

I'd have killed myself.  I hated that music and that commercial so much.

• Love 1

The Six Flags theme song won't leave my head.

I don't like Lizzo's music, it reminds me of crap on Old Navy commercials.  Other than constantly reading the cue cards, she was pretty good - she had a lot of enthusiasm, and I actually thought this show was pretty funny overall.

I keep seeing articles online saying that Lizzo gave it her all but SNL didn't show up for her.  I think the writers and cast did a great job,

• Love 2
14 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't like Lizzo's music, it reminds me of crap on Old Navy commercials.  Other than constantly reading the cue cards, she was pretty good - she had a lot of enthusiasm, and I actually thought this show was pretty funny overall.

I keep seeing articles online saying that Lizzo gave it her all but SNL didn't show up for her.  I think the writers and cast did a great job,

That is such a lazy trope in reviews. I stopped reading AV Club reviews (which tend to do that a lot) when many of their writers moved on earlier this year, but I did see a bit of the newest review and it had all of those tropes, to the point of being incensed enough to suggest Benedict Cumberbatch might want to speak to his people about insisting on changes at SNL before he hosts. I saw another review that suggested the entire cast and crew should be ashamed and that this was the worst since the Elon Musk episode. I think a lot of people who review for entertainment websites just don't like SNL and having to write about it, so they end up getting very upset over not getting things they were never going to get (like sharper political material and detailed cheerleading of progressive policy plans) or they  get very mad over things that have always been a part of SNL, like heavy nostalgia (even the first season turned an entire episode over to Desi Arnaz, who had not been a big presence on TV for 20 years).

There are times where I think that hosts are poorly served. I was disappointed by much of what they did with Will Forte. Lizzo, however, got opportunities to sing, twerk, play the flute, and was surrounded by people who seemed to enjoy her presence, laughed along with her when she broke in sketches, etc. She seemed to have the time of her life. I am genuinely not sure what people expected her to get or what they thought she was capable of considering she is  not an actress or a  live sketch comedy performer. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

That is such a lazy trope in reviews. I stopped reading AV Club reviews (which tend to do that a lot) when many of their writers moved on earlier this year, but I did see a bit of the newest review and it had all of those tropes, to the point of being incensed enough to suggest Benedict Cumberbatch might want to speak to his people about insisting on changes at SNL before he hosts. I saw another review that suggested the entire cast and crew should be ashamed and that this was the worst since the Elon Musk episode. I think a lot of people who review for entertainment websites just don't like SNL and having to write about it, so they end up getting very upset over not getting things they were never going to get (like sharper political material and detailed cheerleading of progressive policy plans) or they  get very mad over things that have always been a part of SNL, like heavy nostalgia (even the first season turned an entire episode over to Desi Arnaz, who had not been a big presence on TV for 20 years).

There are times where I think that hosts are poorly served. I was disappointed by much of what they did with Will Forte. Lizzo, however, got opportunities to sing, twerk, play the flute, and was surrounded by people who seemed to enjoy her presence, laughed along with her when she broke in sketches, etc. She seemed to have the time of her life. I am genuinely not sure what people expected her to get or what they thought she was capable of considering she is  not an actress or a  live sketch comedy performer. 

So funny that you knew I was talking about AV Club.  Why I even still click the website, I don't know.  I also don't know why they would think SNL would skew the comedy toward a political agenda, but it does seem like they really want it to go that way.  I like when they make fun of everyone and everything.

They really did phone in the Will Forte show, he is so good, and I don't think the writers "get" him.  I totally agree, not sure what the reviewers were expecting with this show.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 4

In that brief clip, Lizzo was so much better as Baby Groot than Kyle ever has been as Baby Yoda. His take on that just doesn't work for me. 

• Love 3
On 4/17/2022 at 12:11 AM, vb68 said:

A lot of this show was pretty silly, but it worked for me. I really enjoyed most of it.

The Please Don't Destroy have become one of my very favorite parts of the show.

Just when I thought the Ancient Orgy sketch was dragging, Kate kissed a goat. Never thought I'd see that.

I will say I think they are overdoing Trump in the Cold Opens, but damn he did get me with Captain Crunch being rude to him at Count Chocola's 500th Birthday party. So very silly.

I LIKED This Please Don't Destroy Sketch ! They Did NOT Keep Repeating Things And They Did NOT Gross Me Out !

On 4/17/2022 at 12:01 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: It's Easter, aka Warm Halloween, and Bowen is the Easter Bunny! Jus: t when we thought we were spared a political cold open, they trot out all the impressions. Loved Cecily as MTG ("God bless Russia America"), and Chris Redd was still perfect as Eric Adams. Loved seeing Chloe in a sketch, and Kyle as Jesus Jared Leto. I honestly don't think we needed Trump in this sketch, despite JAJ continuing to nail the impression. "Let's not forget Egg" was jut a dumb, silly line and I hate how good it is. 

Monologue: Lizzo! She was great, and she's got great energy.

Guess That!: You know Lizzo is bringing it when Kenan starts to break in the first sketch.

TikTok: Good to see another TikTok sketch I'm too old to know TikTok and to know if there's any specific videos they're spoofing (apparently Crawling on All Fours Guy is one), but I really liked this one. Got a giant laugh out of the Airhorn Grandma channel. That was a great payoff with the Crawling Guy.

Black Eyed Peas: Time to feel old! This song was from 14 years ago, so this is considered nostalgic. A fun sketch, but I don't know why someone was clamoring for a 2008 Black Eyed Peas sketch in 2022.

Grandpa: Speaking of out of date sketches, here's a sketch about Lizzo's grandpa being Mr. Six. When I saw "Six Flags" in the preview, I was NOT expecting Sarah and Ego dancing around. And then their poker buddies showing up. And then EVERYONE showed up dressed as Mr. Six. Incredibly dumb, but I kept laughing.

Please Don't Destroy: Incredibly manic. "I guess I gotta go get killed by Andrew Dismukes" was great. Lizzo brings so much to these sketches tonight.

WU: Yep, Elon Musk would really spend $43 billion to say the N-word on twitter again. The jokes were on fire tonight. Loved the reaction to Che's "iPhone factory" joke.

Orgy: I thought Kenan with the snake was wild, but here comes Kate making out with a goat! I was a fan of this sketch. It was fun and got to use a lot of the cast. Kyle definitely had the best energy, followed by Dismukes being smacked with the grapes.

Orchestra: Hey, they wrote a sketch about Lizzo's flute playing! I loved everyone playing their instruments. Loved Kate as the weird harp lady, and Aidy doing her best to hold the violin. Honestly, Alex had the best seat in the house in this sketch. And loved the visual of everyone twerking at the end, even the extras. That tuba player was doing his best.

Investing: I was expecting Steve to be into NFTs, was NOT expecting Beanie Babies. In 2022. And then drawing Green Mario. This was so ungodly dumb, but I really liked it.

All in all, pretty good show! Lizzo's energy was so great and pure, and honestly half of these sketches wouldn't have worked without it. It was sweet to see Lizzo's mom introduce her for the second song.

The show returns May 7th with Benedict Cumberbatch & Arcade Fire.

I Think LIzzo Is Maybe A Song Writer So They Had Her Helping The Black Eyed Peas ! OF Course, They Mispronounced Will I AM On Purpose ! Every Thing Was Back AT Least In The 90's Except Black Eyed Peas Was Maybe Around 2010 ! ! Also, I Think I Saw Aristotle TWICE Either In Tic Toc OR The Orgy Or Maybe In Both ! ! They Did Not Have Punkie And OF Course, They Did NOT Have Pete ! ! They Almost Did NOT Have Heidi !

On 4/17/2022 at 12:40 AM, vb68 said:

I think Aristotle was there in a blink and miss it cameo.

I Think I Saw and Recognized Aristotle TWICE ! 1 I Don't Know IF IT Was In The Orgy OR Tic Toc OR Twice In One Sketch OR Appeared In Those TWO Sketches ! ! 

On 4/18/2022 at 12:24 PM, Thumper said:

I had no idea those characters were a Six Flags thing.  Guess I haven’t/ hadn’t seen many of their advertisements.

In another “I’m old” realization, I don’t do TikTok, but the whole segment had me laughing a lot.

Also loved the Lizzo with the writers sketch.  Those guys have the best facial expressions!

I Liked This Sketch With The Kids The Best OF The Kids Sketches ! They Did NOT Repeat Things Over And Over And They Did NOT Gross Me Out !

On 4/19/2022 at 5:25 AM, Scout Finch said:

Surprisingly, Willem Dafoe. Even though I don't recall if I've ever seen any of his movies, I've always had the impression that he just does dramatic, darker roles. So it was so unexpected to see just how much fun he was having and I think I laughed more during this episode than any others this season.

William Defoe DID Have A Good Show ! I Think That Was A Funny Show ! Did You Watch When Will Forte Was On And Lorne Mentioned Will's Name And Then Lorne Said He Was Talking About Will Defoe ! I Thought That WAS Funny !

On 4/19/2022 at 6:24 PM, heatherchandler said:

I Agree With You ! I Enjoyed Chris Redd In The Game Show ! I Enjoyed Andrew Dismukes ! Kate Was Funny Playing The Harp And Kissing The Goat ! They All Did A Great Job OF Playing The 6 Flag Guys ! Mikey Did a Great Job With Ode To Joy And Maybe Even Being Elon Musk ! ! I Don't Know What They Wanted The Cast To Do ! NOW,I F They Did NOT Like Them Breaking Or Thought The Sketches Were Too Silly, Then, That Is Different !

On 4/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, Pete Martell said:

I Think You Are Probably Right About Why They Don't Like Saturday Night Live ! They Probably Thought These Nostalgic Sketches Would Be Funny ! ! ! Maybe, They Thought Lizzo Stood Out So Much That You Noticed Her The Most So The Rest OF The Cast Were Not As Strong So They Said The Rest OF The Cast Did NOT Show Up ! I Don't Agree With Them Though ! I Thought They Did A Great Job ! 

• Love 1
On 4/16/2022 at 11:19 PM, Dr.OO7 said:

Is this the first time that a host doubling as the musical guest has introduced themselves?

This is the first musical performance that I've watched in eons and I LOVED it.

You Should Have Seen Brandi Carlile  ! She Was The Musical Guest With Jason Sudekis ! She Would Hold Notes And Go Up To A Different Key Which Is Called Modulating On Her Second Song ! She Was Great On Her First Song Also ! She Played The Guitar And Sang On Her First Song ! She Played The Piano And Then Played The Guitar On Her Second Song ! !

On 4/16/2022 at 11:23 PM, vb68 said:

Yes, at least that I can remember.

I wonder why a cast member didn't do it.

I Don't Know How She Could Introduce Herself ! Usually, She Would Have To Be Further Up On The Stage To Sing With The Other Background Singers ! Also, She Would Often Be Wearing Some Thing Different ! I Could Understand IF IT Was Taped, But, That Was Live !

On 4/17/2022 at 12:40 AM, vb68 said:

I think Aristotle was there in a blink and miss it cameo.

I Saw Him And I Think He Might Have Even Been On There Maybe Twice ! Every Body Was There Except Pete !

On 4/17/2022 at 2:39 AM, Peace 47 said:

Those were my favorites, too.  I enjoyed the first TikTok sketch from the Billie Eilish episode so much, I actually have gone back and watched it a couple of times on YouTube in the weeks (months?  time has no meaning) it aired, so I was really happy to see a sequel here.  I still think the first is the best, no contest, but the “studying for the LSATs” running joke was solid.  Like @vb68, Please Don’t Destroy is becoming a major highlight for me, as well.

I was really scratching my head about the Six Flags dancing guy because I thought I remembered reading in the news that Six Flags had retired the mascot, and I just looked it up, and they did:  in 2010?!  Why they did a sketch on him, so early in the show, was so bizarre.

I enjoyed the Black Eyed Peas sketch, though.  If I were to bet money, I’d wager that was borne from a writer having old iTunes purchases on shuffle while working late and having an existential crisis over how nonsensical the lyrics can be.   But really, perhaps none of us can truly appreciate the sublime poetry of “I'm so 3008 // You so 2000 and late.”

I Thought When You Mentioned That They Retired The Six Flags Mascot That I Saw That And I Thought Maybe That is Why They Did A Sketch About Him ! How Ever, IF That WAS 2010, Then, That Was TWELVE Years Ago So I Don't Know Why They Had The Sketch In This Episode!

On 4/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, peeayebee said:

I really liked that Costco sketch. I didn't watch the Kim K episode. So they did this before?

I don't really know Lizzo's music, except for Good As Hell. I saw her interviewed on some show a couple of years ago (?), and I really liked her. She seems like a wonderful, loving, positive person, and that all came thru on the show. I'm sure her mother is the same kind of person.

I liked the CO. My favorite was probably Jared Leto saying, "Hey, it's me, Jesus Christ." And although I wish TFG would disappear, I do enjoy JAJ's impression. The rambling word salads are hilarious, and not far from real. Question: I remember TFG referring to his border wall as "wall" -- no "the" -- and then people in his administration and elsewhere referred to it as "wall." I figure they did it to cover for the boss. ("Hey, he meant to say that.") My question is has TFG done similar misspeaking? (I know he did/does A LOT of misspeaking.) Is JAJ's impression with "egg" and so forth simply from TFG's "wall" misspeak or from others?

I think TikTok was my favorite bit from last night. It's just silly fun.

I also liked the Black Eyed Peas sketch, though I got a little confused. At first the recording execs (Lizzo and Aidy) were trying to get the BEPs to do meaningful lyrics, but then they were excited about the inane lyrics.

Loved seeing the Six Flags Guy. I liked the weirdness when those commercials aired, so it was fun to see him again. I do wonder if people who post-date the guy had any idea what that was all about.

I thought this Please Don't Destroy video was good. Not all of them strike my fancy.

Melissa's Cesar Perez character was great. I didn't think it went on too long. Very cute and funny.

Can't say I liked the orgy sketch. THAT one went on too long. When we first glimpsed Aidy's character, I thought her deal was going to be something about huffing.

I'm not a fan of twerking, so too much twerking for me. 

I Think This WAS MY Favorite Don't Destroy Sketch ! I Don't Like Them Grossing Me Out Or Have the Cat Keep Getting Away ! ! I Don't Like To Do Things Over And Over ! Also, This Had A Specific Thing Where They Have To Write Songs For LIZZO To Sing ! I Did Not Mind Listening To Her Criticize Her Nephew, But, Then, IT Got Very Annoying To Me Doing The Same Thing Over And Over ! 

On 4/17/2022 at 2:12 PM, JZL said:

I also loved Lizzo.  I'd never buy her music (not my thing) but I'd watch her in a comedy movie for sure (definitely my thing).

I thought the writing was pretty good.  E.g, the game show sketch was not the usual dumb contestant re-hash, but instead an obstinate, defiant, contestant twist.  And when they had Keenan's "score" go to -150, it was hilarious.  Even a lot of the throwaway lines were funny.  I also have to admit that in the orchestra sketch, when Aidy piped up about all the players tweaking (and then they all did), I did not see it coming and it was delightful. 

WU continues to crush, even if a little short(?)

They Were TWIRKING ! That Is A DANCE ! TWEAKING Is I WAs Going To Say Writing A Message, But, That Is TWEETING ! Maybe, TWEAKING Is To Reduce Some Thing To TWEAK Something !

On 4/17/2022 at 2:41 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I wish I had better computer skills because Lizzo’s “ladies and gentlemen…me!” is a future GIF/meme waiting to happen.

She was absolutely fantastic in this episode, such high energy, always game for anything, I didn’t even mind the breaking at all.  

The Six Flag skit was silly as hell but I couldn’t stop laughing.  But, I, also, am trying to figure out the age of the writers’ room based on this and the Black Eyed Pea sketch.  Like…Gen X bordering on geriatric millennials?  I enjoyed both but having two culturally nostalgic sketches in the same episode seemed weird.  I guess three if you count the Beanie Babies sketch.

I Think They Did Black Eyed Peas So Cecily And Bowan Could Sing Together And LIZZO Could Show off With Her Singing Since She Is A Singer ! !