Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Zoo Balloon

• Start Topic

While on Abbott's annual zoo field trip, Tariq reveals that he has been offered a job in New York; Janine struggles with a big choice; Barbara starts questioning her future after finding out her favourite tuatara has been retired because of old age.

Original Airdate: 2022.04.12

• Love 1

Tuatara are extremely long lived. Wild tuatara have made it over 60 years, and captive ones over a century, so it’s entirely possible that the same animal could be on display now who was on display when Barbara was in kindergarten herself. And since NZ does not allow them off the island, the only ones in non-NZ zoos are extremely old. I’ll be interested in seeing how they handle this! 

• Useful 7
  • Love 5

Just the words "Zoo Balloon" take me back to my childhood...I grew up in Philly, and when you drove by the Zoo, you could see a large balloon flying over it. I also had something called an "elephant key," which was a plastic doo-dad that fit into a metal box by each exhibit, and started an audio recording about the animal. :-) I hope they take the kids to the Franklin Institute next season!

• Useful 3
  • Love 19
On 4/11/2022 at 11:49 AM, kwnyc said:

Just the words "Zoo Balloon" take me back to my childhood...I grew up in Philly, and when you drove by the Zoo, you could see a large balloon flying over it.

Yes! I grew up in Philly too and the Zoo Balloon is real. The Philly touches the show adds are so great (see also: admiring Jim Gardner).

Edited by Empress1
Fixed typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

I know Ava's supposed to be funny, but she is too damn much and, frankly, too stupid to be a principal.  I hope we see less of her next season.

I wasn't on board with Janine and Gregory becoming an item, but now I'm curious to see how that will work out. 

So Barbara used to dress like Janine when she started teaching.  Interesting. 😄

I loved Melissa's shoutout to Stanley Tucci!

I loved little Kenny and the little girl telling Mr. Johnson he was bald.   The kids are the MVPs of this show.  Seriously. 😊

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this episode. I feel a little that between last week and the finale, the earnestness is overshadowing the humor. I think I liked it better when we used to see how wonderful though human the teachers are rather than being told it. I got it, but I felt a little like I was being hit over the head with it this week.

An example might be this: I didn't need Gregory to say that he thinks Abbott is special. I saw that happening over the season, and I know he feels that way because he chose to stay there. And somehow it was more moving to me before he verbalized it. They did such a good and subtle job of showing it happening over the season, they really didn't need to spell it out for me.

And I felt like I was able to predict what was coming too much, which wasn't true with previous episodes.

And I kept getting distracted by how much the teachers weren't watching the kids.

I feel like a curmudgeon, though.  I still love the show. It's miles beyond most.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

I loved this episode. I was so happy when Janine dumped Tarique. He lost me when he admitted he was using Janine. Gregory made me laugh when he admitted he hated clam chowder it's one of my favorite foods. I loved Janine facing her fear of heights.

• Love 13

I've watched the entire season, and with each new episode, the show was growing on me.  It's a perfect combination of laugh-out-loud funny and genuine warmth, and the ensemble is perfect.  I hope ABC will keep this show around for a long time.

I miss Single Parents, and didn't think anything could even come close, but Abbott Elementary is an even better, even funnier show.  I'm glad I tuned in that first episode, and I can't wait until the 2nd season gets here.

• Love 22

I liked the kids dancing. There really should have been something planned for kids who couldn't get permission for the field trip. I was enjoying Mr. Johnson until I started to feel bad for those kids who were being very well-behaved and sweet, and wound up bored and kind of sad sitting at that table while he ignored them.

Granted, it wasn't his job to watch kids, and that would never happen except on TV. So maybe I'm taking it too seriously. But I did feel bad for the kids who were left behind and went from joyful to bored.

And yes, I got the Breakfast Club reference. But those kids were not up to shenanigans of any kind, nor were they rebels at all. So it was kind of a let down in a way.

Everything else was gold, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I know Ava's supposed to be funny, but she is too damn much and, frankly, too stupid to be a principal.  I hope we see less of her next season.

yeah, the actress is doing a good job but i really dislike the character and that she's got a job she thumbs her nose at

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I hope the actor playing the custodian gets bumped up to a regular next season.  He's the secret star of the show, IMO. 

When he was chilling with a pina colada, I fell completely out. I love him.

• Love 17

We used to go to the zoo as a grade level field trip. So much stress, but so much fun. Another covid casuality. Oh Barbara, don't you dare think about retiring. Every school needs a mix of new and experienced staff. You've still got so much to give to your kids. Love watching Janine grow. Super freshman season. Looking forward to more.

• Love 20

I was kinda let down by the finale, to be honest.  Last week's episode might have been a better way to end things for the season.  I felt there was a lot of things happening and realized deep into the episode that most of it wouldn't be mentioned.  Particularly with Jacob and Zach... something felt kind of off there, and then Jacob almost crying (I assume its because Janine might leave).

Love the show and looking forward to next season; just didn't feel like this was one of their best efforts.  Maybe finales and pilots (and "very special episodes" ) should be judged differently than standard episodes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm sad to see that this was the season finale, but I really liked it. The finale was a mix of humor and bittersweet. I can't wait to see how things play out next season, so much to look forward to. 

And Ava's zoo outfit gave me vertigo.

• Love 8

Of course, Gregory wouldn't like clam chowder. "I don't like fish in soup."

And Tariq IS brilliant with the kids. He should be a teacher (it would get him up before the afternoon). I also like that Zach came along.

What a great season-ender for a show that came out of the gate a winner. 

• Like 1
  • Love 23
54 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

And Tariq IS brilliant with the kids. He should be a teacher (it would get him up before the afternoon). I also like that Zach came along.

I liked that Tariq could tell that a kid was missing because there wasn’t enough bass in the song. And Zach asking “if you’re excited say ‘yaaaass!’” and singing Wheels on the Bus was very cute.

(looking at renting a closet in NYC is real. I know people who have rented out and rented closets.)

• Like 1
  • Love 19
15 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Ha. That's not going to happen. She is the series breakout. The hope should be to find that happy Michael Scott balance. Sweet and funny/sometimes toxic and cringe.

• Like 1
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, Racj82 said:

Ha. That's not going to happen. She is the series breakout. The hope should be to find that happy Michael Scott balance. Sweet and funny/sometimes toxic and cringe.

Oh I know, it's only a hope.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

When Janine broke up with Tariq, I felt a little bad for him until he asked if it meant he can smash other people. Bye, Tariq.

On the other hand, that implies he's been faithful to her since middle school, so good going, Tariq!

• Like 1
  • Love 22
58 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I think they worked towards that a LITTLE, with her speech for the funding that was heartfelt.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I have really loved this season, I really hope that we get many more seasons after this. Its got a great combination of heart, humor, and a great ensemble cast. I am glad that we weren't left on a cliffhanger about whether or not Janine would move to new York or not, especially as we all know that she will end up back in Philly no matter what. Breaking up with Tariq was clearly a long time coming, even if it was rough. Tariq isn't really a bad guy, his selfishness seems to be more out of stupidity than actual cruelty, but they have clearly grown apart. If the whole straight edge music thing doesn't work out, he should really consider teaching, he's really great with the kids, sort of in the same way that Ava connects with them at times.

I remember zoo field trips in elementary school, they were so much fun, even if we didn't have a zoo balloon. Our poor teachers must have been so tired trying to keep us all from running every which way. This show really makes me want to go out with some of my teacher friends and buy them a drink. Or several. 

I really love the custodian, I hope he becomes a regular next season, he's become a real scene stealer. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I liked the kids dancing. There really should have been something planned for kids who couldn't get permission for the field trip. I was enjoying Mr. Johnson until I started to feel bad for those kids who were being very well-behaved and sweet, and wound up bored and kind of sad sitting at that table while he ignored them.

Granted, it wasn't his job to watch kids, and that would never happen except on TV. So maybe I'm taking it too seriously. But I did feel bad for the kids who were left behind and went from joyful to bored.

And yes, I got the Breakfast Club reference. But those kids were not up to shenanigans of any kind, nor were they rebels at all. So it was kind of a let down in a way.

Everything else was gold, though. 

Yeah, I felt sorry for the bored kids who didn't have the permission slips, but it was up to Ava to have something else planned for them.  Or, why didn't she just call the parents to get verbal permission?  It's not like she would have had to make that many calls.   She was like, "too bad, so sad," and didn't give a shit that they couldn't go. 

I don't blame Mr. Johnson for just taking it easy with his bald head, lol.    

Oops, I forgot about Zach.  I hope we see more of him next year.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm going to miss him, too.  I think he's found his calling working with kids.  He might be triflin' when it comes to paying his share of expenses, but I do think he has a good heart.

yeah, they definitely showed him in a nicer light this time 0- there's a good side to him and not just the irresponsible sponge that i felt he was coming off as in previous episodes

34 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Yeah, I felt sorry for the bored kids who didn't have the permission slips, but it was up to Ava to have something else planned for them.  Or, why didn't she just call the parents to get verbal permission?  It's not like she would have had to make that many calls.   She was like, "too bad, so sad," and didn't give a shit that they couldn't go. 

I don't blame Mr. Johnson for just taking it easy with his bald head, lol.    

Oops, I forgot about Zach.  I hope we see more of him next year.

I don't blame him but I am kind of surprised he didn't find something fun to do with them.

• Love 4

It was good to see Janine be assertive in this episode. I'm glad she broke up with Tariq. She needs to move one. Tariq isn't a complete jerk. He has some good points (he's wonderful way with children), but he is clueless and immature. However, I do hope he finds success with his music.

And I loved it when Janine told the children to "sit down!" Barbara was so proud of her.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I think they worked towards that a LITTLE, with her speech for the funding that was heartfelt.

I honestly couldn't tell if that was sincere, or just an ass-saving performance because her job was on the line, but even so it really did make me like her more as a character. She was too predictable before, too one note annoying to me. I'm too bitter about being force-fed obnoxious and incompetent people with power IRL, but at the same time I totally get what's funny about her if I can set aside my bitterness. So giving her that moment really helped me turn the corner and like her more. She's actually a lot like Tariq, in that she's self-absorbed and off the rails in some ways, but then she also does have some talents that, when channeled properly, can actually be really laudable. The two of them really need help getting set into the correct lane, but I've known people like that, who will absolutely drive you crazy, they can't seem to focus and behave responsibly. It feels like they are actually trying to sabotage and provoke, but it's more like they just can't figure out how to use their talents. But once you get them in a situation where who they are is workable, they shine.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

On the other hand, that implies he's been faithful to her since middle school, so good going, Tariq!

Who else would he going to find who was willing to pay for everything?

Then again, these types of men always seem able to find a sucker to use up. NVM

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Who else would he going to find who was willing to pay for everything?

Then again, these types of men always seem able to find a sucker to use up. NVM

When Tariq said he was a feminist that's why he let Janine pay for everything I wanted him gone. The scene with Kenny was so good because you could see Janine becoming brave enough to dump him.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

I don't blame him but I am kind of surprised he didn't find something fun to do with them.

Maybe he was tired and just wanted to relax.  He wasn't expecting the kids to be foisted on him like that.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Oh I know, it's only a hope.

Yeah, I know. Just not likely. I do agree with others that they moving in a more even path. The more they move to her being unorthodox instead of unprofessional, the better. 

Melissa says a lot of wild stuff and some shadyness in her history but you never question whether or not she can or is good at her job.

• Love 6

I loved this season and this episode, even though it was a little less "haha" funny and more "sweet/sad" funny. 

I'm glad Janine finally grew up and dumped Tariq. I don't think he's intentionally malicious but he's selfish and lazy and needs some time to grow up. He did show streaks of maturity with keeping track of the kids and worrying about Janine being stuck in the hot air balloon ("what did that Kenny kid say to you in the balloon? I knew he wasn't my dog."), but those two aren't good together. They are keeping each other stuck in a rut. 

I really noticed how much Gregory smiled in this episode and he has a lovely smile. I'm interested to see where he and Taylor and Janine go, because it has ramifications in a variety of ways. I also loved how much he's lightened up over the season, his silly voice was great.

Barbara springing into action when Kenny went missing was amazing. Melissa was right, she gets better with age, like a good wine. 

I'm in the minority, I love Ava. The actress nails her and she's just over the top and wackadoo. She's fun to watch.

• Love 24
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

(looking at renting a closet in NYC is real. I know people who have rented out and rented closets.)

Fucking hell!

1 minute ago, emma675 said:

I'm in the minority, I love Ava. The actress nails her and she's just over the top and wackadoo. She's fun to watch.

I don't think that's a minority opinion at all. As someone said upthread, Ava is 100% the breakout star of this show. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I was referring to this post.

And just, it's obvious to me that Ava is very popular. I always see posts about her on twitter and the actress has been doing a bunch of media appearances.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was referring to this post.

And just, it's obvious to me that Ava is very popular. I always see posts about her on twitter and the actress has been doing a bunch of media appearances.

Janelle James has been in the comedy game for a while so I’m happy so see her get more shine.

• Love 15

It was a just side line, but I chuckled that both Melissa's uncles were named Anthony (Uncle Anthony and Uncle Tony). Many years ago, I was getting my hair done and the stylist's boyfriend, who was a police officer, stopped by to see her, with his partner in tow. The partner was Italian American. The stylist addressed the partner as "Tony," and he said, "That's not my name. You think 'cause I'm Italian my name is Tony?" I died 😂

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1