Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/28/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

It was funny but I'm sure not to JK.

Surely he thought it was funny "enough."  He's 67 years old and looks GREAT! He understands he's in the acting profession and Amy is a professional comedian who told a lighweight joke.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Hey, Sunny!  Tara is THE PRETTY ONE!  That ought to set off her little competitive/jealous self.

I loved Joy's saying that Sunny has FOMO.  I wonder why she isn't embarrassed to ask for anything/everything when she hears that a host at the table has been gifted one/them.  Did she FINALLY get Joy's lasagna?  "I want one of those paintings!"  Like she didn't have many opportunities to purchase Raven's paintings...EVER!  Sunny is so deprived.

Why should she be embarrassed? Sunny has gotten Joy's lasagna before, they are actually friends in real life.  Sunny and Tara are also friends.  

Raven's wife said that Sunny had a painting of Raven's that she wished that she had gotten. Sunny was being supportive of a friend.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Sorry, but I disagree with this.  I can tell my husband I don't like what someone said, but that doesn't mean I am responsible for what he does about it. 

Will Smith is responsible for his actions.  Just because he may have done it in a "defending her honor"  manner, doesn't take away the fact that HE stormed the stage, was violent, and then was loudly verbally aggressive.  He alone is responsible for those actions.  Holding his wife responsible, to me, echoes the "she made me do it" defense many domestic abusers use to defend their aggressive acts.  

When men commit acts of violence, they need to be held accountable.  It is not ok to blame women for men's acts of violence. 

Didn't say she was responsible for Will's physical violence on Chris, but she was responsible for his knee-jerk reaction. What Will did with his lack of impulse control was totally on him!

And many of us really can't help but wonder if Will would have done anything if not for the side-eye.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Hey, Sunny!  Tara is THE PRETTY ONE!  That ought to set off her little competitive/jealous self.

I loved Joy's saying that Sunny has FOMO.  I wonder why she isn't embarrassed to ask for anything/everything when she hears that a host at the table has been gifted one/them.  Did she FINALLY get Joy's lasagna?  "I want one of those paintings!"  Like she didn't have many opportunities to purchase Raven's paintings...EVER!  Sunny is so deprived.

Did Sunny and Raven overlap as hosts?  It makes sense Raven gave Whoopi a couple paintings since she views Whoopi as a mentor, but does she even know Sunny?

Tara is gorgeous.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, General Days said:

That "reporter," Vitalii Sediuk, is a prankster, who sexually harassed several/assaulted celebrities -- to the point where he was eventually fired. Brad Pitt had to get a restraining order against him.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Smith knew that at the time, and that old slap is telling (because Smith slapped the guy after he pushed him off -- after he had time to think about it), but the prankster was not practicing a typical European greeting. 

Look:

Read more: https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/reporter-who-was-slapped-by-will-smith-reacts-to-chris-rock-incident-20220328

I think stripping Will Smith of his award would be both an empty gesture and overkill. Yeah, the Academy expelled Roman Polanski and Harvey Weinstein, but it did not strip even them of their Oscars.

What would stripping him of the award, accomplish?

Either there'd now be no Best Actor for 2022 (but everyone would still know Smith won), or they'd give it to the runner-up, who would know he only won, because Smith disqualified himself after the fact.

I can see the Academy suspending him for some amount of time, but at the end of the day it was just a slap.

It was a humiliating moment for all involved (and to those tangential to the action like Jada, Questlove, and the Academy), but it was a slap, not a pummeling, not a stabbing, not a shooting, not even a punch (which is what I first thought). It was a bitchy little slap. 

It's not hard to find examples of actors (and directors, and producers) acting much worse on film sets. The Academy would have to boot a not insignificant amount of its membership. It set "standards" to cover its butt, nothing more.

They set guidelines, but even Weinstein and Polanski (who were expelled) still have their awards.

As to your question, I honestly think that amount of wealth and fame breaks people's brains.

I disagree, and I watched (and rewatched, and rewatched) the moment. Jada Pinkett Smith rolled her eyes and gave Chris Rock some (well-deserved, imo) stank-face, but that was really all we saw.

Will laughed at first but sometimes, you laugh at a joke until you think about what's said. Years ago, I went to see the live show of a comedian I (then) loved. He took a very raw turn in his comedy, ahead of that particular tour. Partway through his set, I realized I was only laughing, because the rest of the audience was laughing, but that I didn't actually find it funny. I wish I'd had the revelation after the show, because sitting through the rest of it, after my epiphany, was a miserable experience.

This is a long way of saying two things. That A (Jada's eyeroll) precedes B (Will's delayed reaction) doesn't mean A caused B.

The eyeroll might have made Will stop and think about what was said, but Smith is a 53-year-old man. She didn't "make" him do anything. He chose violence on his own, and he chose wrong.

I feel bad for Chris Rock, but I also feel bad for Jada Pinkett Smith, and I don't even like her. She was humiliated by both men, that night.

I feel bad for Smith too, because I think he looked like he had a few too many in him, and he made a fool of himself on an international broadcast. It sucks to be your own worst enemy.

I would like to have seen Jada's face while Will was slapping Chris and while Will was cussing at him after. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Did Sunny and Raven overlap as hosts?  It makes sense Raven gave Whoopi a couple paintings since she views Whoopi as a mentor, but does she even know Sunny?

Tara is gorgeous.

I didn’t think so either.

I agree about Tara. She is a distractingly pretty lady. 

I also think Sunny is beautiful and not really jealous to the degree she plays up. That’s just my suspicion though. 

• Love 4

Were Whoopi and Sunny referring to Meghan when they were talking about something that happened on live tv and they couldn’t do anything?  I wonder which of her antics they meant. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Were Whoopi and Sunny referring to Meghan when they were talking about something that happened on live tv and they couldn’t do anything?  I wonder which of her antics they meant. 

I think they were talking about when Sunny and Ana's Covid test results were announced live on the air.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Or "how many of her antics".    🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I agree with Whoopi regarding the standing ovation. I judge celebs who put in thought and join a stupid group mentality (like a Roman Polanski petition). Getting up to clap along with everyone else at the Oscars? Ehh, not judging. Is it possible they didn't know if the whole debacle was real, or thought maybe didn't know if Will even touched Chris? 

It's always easy to say you would behave perfectly in a situation after the fact.

• Love 9

Tara is gross and a liar, and that's why I can't stand her. That she can say with a straight face that things were like this in the '90s, please, lady, get a reality check. Bill Clinton cheated on his wife--not the first president to commit that crime, for one--but it also happened in his second term. He didn't run on and "get away with" the affair by being voted back into office the way Trump was voted in despite a massive list of crimes and misbehavior.

Btw, Tara's eyes are very distinctive. I wonder if she wears contacts to make her eyes look that way. Either way, she looks like a snake-eyed gorgon at times, but maybe that impression is more pronounced by the things she says.

• LOL 10
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

Sunny and Jedidiah were there at the tail-end of Raven's time. Raven got the boot soon after.

13 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Raven's wife said that Sunny had a painting of Raven's that she wished that she had gotten. Sunny was being supportive of a friend.  

I thought Raven's wife said that Whoopi had a painting of Raven's that she would like to have.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I agree with Whoopi regarding the standing ovation. I judge celebs who put in thought and join a stupid group mentality (like a Roman Polanski petition). Getting up to clap along with everyone else at the Oscars? Ehh, not judging. Is it possible they didn't know if the whole debacle was real, or thought maybe didn't know if Will even touched Chris? 

It's always easy to say you would behave perfectly in a situation after the fact.

We may not have heard it, but Chris said "I just got the shit slapped out of me by Will Smith" and even if they couldn't hear Will dropping those F-bombs, Chris was trying to lower the temperature. And you won't convince me that those sitting next to, or near Will, didn't see or hear that exchange. And now I'm like Daniel Radcliffe on this subject.

26 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought Raven's wife said that Whoopi had a painting of Raven's that she would like to have.

You're right. It's Whoopi who has a painting and Sunny wants one, or the same one that Whoopi does.

• Love 6

I agree with Whoopi that talking about members of the audience at the Academy Awards as if they were all the same is over generalizing, but she should consider how often she does the same thing - mainly about political parties. Not everyone in a party agrees with what the most vocal and "out there" members say and do. Yet people on the panel continually make comments about Republicans and Democrats that treat everyone as if they are the same.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, cinsays said:

I would like to have seen Jada's face while Will was slapping Chris and while Will was cussing at him after. 

There's video out there not necessarily of her face, but shot from behind her.  It appeared like she laughed after Chris said Will smacked him (as did many in the audience), and then just sat in her seat as Will yelled out.  Didn't even look his way.  It was very weird.   She may have been just as shocked as everyone else.   

• Love 3
15 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

This reminds me of the Yada, Yada, Yada episode of Seinfeld.  I can't help but think you Yada'd over some good parts. Spill it, Sis! lol

Well at one point she came out of his room in his panties!  HA!  She also almost got smacked by Erik Roberts as we were waiting for Smith's limo.  That was the time he had very long hair and had it in a braid.  She went up to him and yanked on it and he was not pleased.  I still have Jazzy Jeff's all access pass from the night.  They were all very nice.  But there may be some parts I am leaving out.  HA!

I need to get back to The View.  I haven't been watching lately but weirdly I miss it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

There's video out there not necessarily of her face, but shot from behind her.  It appeared like she laughed after Chris said Will smacked him (as did many in the audience), and then just sat in her seat as Will yelled out.  Didn't even look his way.  It was very weird.   She may have been just as shocked as everyone else.   

Jada actually kissed Will after he assaulted Chris, so she was fine with it..

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Tara was 100% right with what she said about Hollywood hypocrisy, in my opinion. Whoopi is taking this too personally, and I think her and Joy talking about painting with too wide a brush is them missing the point. This isn't the first time we've seen something like this either.

This might be a good thing, all up. Maybe people will finally stop idolising other people for acting and getting so caught up in silly ideas over "celebrity".

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Well at one point she came out of his room in his panties!  HA!  She also almost got smacked by Erik Roberts as we were waiting for Smith's limo.  That was the time he had very long hair and had it in a braid.  She went up to him and yanked on it and he was not pleased.  I still have Jazzy Jeff's all access pass from the night.  They were all very nice.  But there may be some parts I am leaving out.  HA!

I need to get back to The View.  I haven't been watching lately but weirdly I miss it.

Wait-I think you buried the lede-Will Smith wears panties?! LOL Thanks for the tea! 

It will interesting to see if The View continues to talk about this subject tomorrow. The story just won't seem to die. I wonder if Judd Apatow told them he didn't want to discuss his deleted tweet on the controversy.

• Love 4
On 3/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, Be nice said:

Will was wrong to use violence, but I have not heard an apology to Jada for Chris’s rude remark for laughs at Jada’s expense or The Academy’s use of comedian’s who always use rude jokes or comments at other people’s expense.  They are not funny and the Academy should not give them the platform. So many times these funny rude remarks ends up with an apology.  We teach our kids not to be rude at the expense of others which is why I don’t watch these award shows anymore. We don’t need rude people making fun of people especially at their medical issues. 

Unless someone proves he knew about the alopecia (and reports I’ve read said he didn’t), it was a pretty benign joke for an awards show. On the BAFTAs Rebel  Wilson’s joke was about wills best acting job being his reaction to his wife’s boyfriends.  Didn’t even see angry tweet about that.  It’s not like it’s cancer and she’s dying from it.  She’s also worn a close shaven hair style a lot before this.  Rudeness by comics at awards show is expected by these people..they live in a rarified world and expect comics to insert some reality in there.  They attend knowing this, especially when you’re in front.  So while I would generally agree with you on teaching kids not to be rude, this is a different situation.  

And today I actually agreed with Tara…she made a good point that the R party has been in this slide since the 90s…trump just brought it to a head.  Sunny tried to blame it all on him, but he’s simply the logical result of the road they’ve been on for many years.  So far in her times on the show I haven’t really minded her as a cohost…we could do worse.  

• Love 15
9 hours ago, cinsays said:

Daily Mail (so take it for what is worth) says those nearby said she smiled throughout the confrontation.  And their two kids seem to think it was pretty great too. 

7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing.  Did they all still think this was a comedy bit?  If they knew what had actually happened, then the standing ovation was just wrong.  

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing.  Did they all still think this was a comedy bit?  If they knew what had actually happened, then the standing ovation was just wrong.  

I think a lot of them probably did think that.  Even two or three days after the event when it should have been obvious it wasn't a planned stunt there were people out there saying nothing would ever convince them that it wasn't fake.    I am guessing Rock handling things the way he did contributed to people not realizing he wasn't participating in some kind of joke.

Edited by SusanM
  • Useful 2

7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

There was 45 mins between the slap and his award. The audience had already seen Denzel Washington, Tyler Perry, and Bradley Cooper tried to console him. I think 45 mins after the slap, they all knew it was real.

Tara tried to tell this to Whoopi but Whoopi was not open to hearing it. She made it seem like Will's award was right after the slap.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9

My brother lives in Madison Cawthorne's district in North Carolina.  I'm afraid to ask him if he voted for him because I'm afraid he will say yes.

I run lukewarm and cold on Tara.  Yes the show could and has done worse but I'm afraid if she got the gig she would become much more of cheerleader for her party.  

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I run lukewarm and cold on Tara.  Yes the show could and has done worse but I'm afraid if she got the gig she would become much more of cheerleader for her party.  

I think she made a "big mistake" today (Thursday) and disagreeing a bit too much with Whoopi.  I think Whoopi has liked her so far...but if Tara watches the show critically, she should know: DON'T GO TOO FAR.  I think she did.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 1

I am so tired of Whoopi...especially on the Will Smith debacle. 

All week, every day, they have discussed it. Even Whoopi that has said since she is a Board Member with the Academy she can't discuss it...then does.

She says, like she knows Smith was not asked to leave, yet now turns out he was.

Sigh

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, maggiemae said:

ALSO...

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
(edited)
10 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Will was wrong to use violence, but I have not heard an apology to Jada for Chris’s rude remark for laughs at Jada’s expense or The Academy’s use of comedian’s who always use rude jokes or comments at other people’s expense.

• IF Chris Rock didn't know about alopecia...  
  • IF Chris Rock thought it was simply a hairstyle choice -- one she has CHOSEN in the past...
  • Is it then a "rude remark"?  Are we to remove "rudeness" from all professional comedy...or comments at other people's expense?  That's not going to happen nor should it.  
  • That's probably why we don't have the Hallmark Comedy Hour.

Because I didn't know about HER alopecia...nor do I/would I follow Jada...I thought it was just one more time she shaved her head--because she knows she looks GREAT like that.  I feel that at some point Chris Rock WILL apologize to Jada--and expect that the apology will contain the information that he had NO IDEA that she had an autoimmune disease.  I hope she can be gracious (not her forte).

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 12
(edited)
7 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Jada actually kissed Will after he assaulted Chris, so she was fine with it..

He followed her silent order; she gave him THAT LOOK (after he chuckled at the joke)...and he knew he'd better do something.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I think she made a "big mistake" today (Thursday) and disagreeing a bit too much with Whoopi.  I think Whoopi has liked her...but if Tara watches the show critically, she should know: DON'T GO TOO FAR.  I think she did.

I loved it!

Finally someone that wasn't succumbing to Whoopi's know-it-all tirade.

• Love 10
(edited)
On 3/30/2022 at 10:00 PM, Pearson80 said:
On 3/30/2022 at 9:01 PM, Back Atcha said:

Why should she be embarrassed? Sunny has gotten Joy's lasagna before, they are actually friends in real life.  Sunny and Tara are also friends.  

I disagree.  Sunny was disappointed that someone has something she doesn't.  It's not a rare occurrence.

• Raven's wife told Whoopi, "You have my favorite Raven painting ever."
  • Whoopi asks, "The Gold Dust Twins?"
  • No...Whoopi and Miranda agree that "it's the other one."
  • Sunny almost whines, "I want one."
  • Raven says, "I'll get into it."
  • That's when Joy says, "Sunny has FOMO--Fear of Missing Out."

Occasionally, Sunny feels left out...and she blurts something about it.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I disagree.  Sunny was disappointed that someone has something she doesn't.  It happens occasionally.

• Raven's wife told Whoopi, "You have my favorite Raven painting ever."
  • Whoopi asks, "The Gold Dust Twins?"
  • No...Whoopi and Miranda agree that "it's the other one."
  • Sunny almost whines, "I want one."
  • Raven says, "I'll get into it."
  • That's when Joy says, "Sunny has FOMO--Fear of Missing Out."

Occasoinally, Sunny feels left out...and she blurts something about it.

And I just know that Whoopi has no idea what painting they're talking about! That's why she said "Oh, the other one" instead of being specific.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Blissfool said:
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I think she made a "big mistake" today (Thursday) and disagreeing a bit too much with Whoopi.  I think Whoopi has liked her...but if Tara watches the show critically, she should know: DON'T GO TOO FAR.  I think she did.

I loved it!

Finally someone that wasn't succumbing to Whoopi's know-it-all tirade.

I agree, we need more, more, more of that...but Tara needs to tread lightly-er if she wants the job.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I am so tired of the Will Smith debacle.  They've been talking about it for 4 days and will probably revisit again today with the new footage of Jada.  Enough already.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I am so tired of the Will Smith debacle.  They've been talking about it for 4 days and will probably revisit again today with the new footage of Jada.  Enough already.

I don't mind them talking about it as long as there is something new to talk about. I don't want them to continue rehashing what we already know. We already know how the cohosts feel about it.  I am actually curious as to what Sara would have to say.  She is currently in Hollywood filming the Chase and I wonder what the people out there think about it.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, maggiemae said:

She says, like she knows Smith was not asked to leave, yet now turns out he was.

Sigh

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell according to some reports this morning he wasn't asked to leave so just maybe Whoopi is right on that one. 🤷‍♂️

• Love 2
(edited)

Hey, Ana, you know how you can stop talking about the slap?  Stop talking about the slap.  You know how you start talking about Clarence Thomas instead?*  Start talking about Clarence Thomas.

*I’m quoting Ana, mods.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 12
(edited)

Chelsea gets the last laugh since she grew up to be smart, accomplished, and gracious and yes, lovely. Her parents did a great job keeping her confident but grounded. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 24
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Very gracious of Chelsea not to specifically mention what John McCain said about her when her father was running for office.

That was my first thought. What he said about her, an innocent little girl, was disgusting. Thank goodness we don't have to hear the nonstop MyFather bragging from the wannabe first daughter anymore. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 16

Definitely the best show this week, thanks to no Tara. Well, that, and receding focus on Will Smith. Chelsea surprisingly caused one of the funnier moments when she said, "Trump ate the Republican Party" and that maybe Graham is still in Trump's belly, lol.

Coming after the past three days, this show is a perfect example about what's right with Ana and wrong with Tara. Ana was willing to admit she'd been wrong about Lindsey Graham, while also arguing back against Sunny on the point about why she's still in the party. No overtalking, no shouting, no condescending nonsense. She could let other people speak, and after they argue, quickly move along and keep things lighthearted. She is definitely a rare find, that's for sure. Only a shame she can't brighten The View every day.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Ana was willing to admit she'd been wrong about Lindsey Graham, while also arguing back against Sunny on the point about why she's still in the party.

OMG!  I haven't watched yet.  The show isn't on here for 30min.  Is SUNNY still beating that dead horse?  Ana has explained to her innumerable times WHY she's a Republican.  Maybe those who prefer Ana to Tara (and I'm in that category), should another preference: Ana or Sunny.