Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/28/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

I just re-watched the video where Will shoves and slaps the Ukranian reporter.  The reporter tried to give him a kiss on both cheeks, which is normal custom in Europe and that's when Will freaked out.  You have major issues when your first instinct is to physically attack someone.

• Love 10

Whoopi Goldberg said Will Smith had “overreacted.” She said he’d “made a mistake.” Not once did she ever address the fact that he actually hit someone, that he assaulted someone, that he committed an act of violence against someone. She really is a piece of work, that Whoopi.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
9 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

Sunny, Will took focus away from ALL of the winners not just Questlove.

It's the award that Chris Rock presented. Questlove seemed a little thrown-off in his acceptance speech.

7 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

Whoopi sounded horrified when one of the hosts asked if they would rescind his win.  I read the academy is holding an emergency ZOOM meeting to discuss the issue.  

I think they are contemplating removing him as a member of The Motiom Pictures Academy.

But I do hope they take his award away too!

7 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Maybe someone here knows more details - Chris Rock's previous joke about the Smiths was 2016 - has he spent the intervening 5 years making jokes at them, or was that the main thing? Because holding a grudge for 5 years about a joke that you weren't even there to hear is not normal. 

Articles keep bringing up the 2016 joke. In my opinion, its a pretty soft joke.

1. Jada boycotted the oscars this year because Will was not nominated. She wasn't even invited!

2. Jada thinks it's not fair that Will was not nominated. What's not fair is that he was paid $20mil for Wild Wild West.

Soft.

6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

He's just lucky it was Chris Rock and not Ricky Gervais who I think hosted the Oscars some years ago. Gervais would've kept it going and going (both onstage and post-show), 

Ricky Gervais is my fave host ever. He holds no punches.

• Love 8

Shut up, Whoopi.

And I agree with Joy-that In Memoriam SUCKED. And I’ve posted in the Oscars thread why.

I can’t believe they didn’t also talk about the other milestones: 50th Anniversary of Cabaret, though it made me sad that Liza wasn’t all there; she was confused at times, and Lady Gaga was wonderful with her. 60th Anniversary of James Bond.

Now I gotta find where I can watch Summer of Soul.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'm wondering if she is cool with him doing that on a live award telecast?

Anything that garners attention for them...but more importantly, HER!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Blissfool said:

But I do hope they take his award away too!

12 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Why should they take away his award when the Academy celebrated a known Child molester by the name of Roman Polanski.  I did not agree with what Will did but taking away his award would be extreme in my opinion. Will attacked a grown man and not a child..

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can’t believe they didn’t also talk about the other milestones: 50th Anniversary of Cabaret, though it made me sad that Liza wasn’t all there; she was confused at times, and Lady Gaga was wonderful with her. 60th Anniversary of James Bond.

Years ago Liza did the same thing with Frank Sinatra.  She was just as empathetic and patient with him just like Lady Gaga was with her.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Why should they take away his award when the Academy celebrated a known Child molester by the name of Roman Polanski.  I did not agree with what Will did but taking away his award would be extreme in my opinion. Will attacked a grown man and not a child..

Years ago Liza did the same thing with Frank Sinatra.  She was just as empathetic and patient with him just like Lady Gaga was with her.

In 2017 after the Weinstein scandal, the board of governors set new standards of conduct and behavioral guidelines.  He violated their terms of conduct and should be dealt with accordingly.  I remember when Polanski's name was announced as Best Director people stood up and applauded.  I thought WTF is wrong with these people?   

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

I thought WTF is wrong with these people?

Ricky Gervais was spot on when he told them to their face how awful they were. "Most of you have spent less time in high school than Greta Thunberg" I also remember him saying. Overpaid, overfeted and undereducated. When you realise that, it all makes sense.

• Love 13
18 hours ago, After7Only said:

Of course all winners matter 🙂,   But Chris Rock was presenting Best Documentary which Questlove won.   I'm pretty sure that's what Sunny was referring to.  Questlove gave an emotional acceptance speech, but I can't help but wonder if what had just happened added to his emotion.   

😉 That made me chuckle.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Anything that garners attention for them...but more importantly, HER!

Her husband was already the centre of attention that night, he was nominated, and subsequently won, an academy award - I am truly not understanding the hate for this woman and the need to make what Will Smith did her fault.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

The photos I just saw of everyone getting jiggy with him at the after parties while his own music was playing were also gross.  The word gross being a gross understatement. 

I agree.  And I wonder how many of them were telling him he was right to do what he did, we are team Will and blah blah blah.  

• Love 8

LOL, let the damage control begin.  There is no way in hell Will Smith wrote that apology because it included prepositions.  "Keep my wife's name out your fuckin' mouth!"

Now all is lost as Joy defends Will Smith's actions with her armchair psychiatry.  I'm so done with this current panel.  NEXT.

Tara is the voice of reason.  Joy is not excusing his behavior she's explaining his behavior.  Sure thing Joy.

Oh Sunny don't do the Weinstein comparison bullshit.  

Apologist Whoopi giving us her sage observations on why Will was not removed from the stage which is complete bullshit as usual.  And stop making EVERYTHING about race.  

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Other than Whoopi, does anyone believe Will wrote that statement? 

I don't know if he wrote it but I believe it was written to try to seem contrite. He didn't seem guilty or embarrassed while he danced the night away. I'm sure once he and his people began to see negative  reaction to the assault he/they knew an apology to Chris was necessary. 

So yeah, Whoopi can believe whatever she wants but I'll live in reality and know Will has been around long enough he knows how to play the game.

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

Joy is not excusing his behavior she's explaining his behavior. 

What is there to explain? He got mad and his anger resulted in physical violence.  Clearly he has issues that need dealt with but I don't see  his behavior as something that needs to be explained so people can feel less horrified by what he did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

So yeah, Whoopi can believe whatever she wants but I'll live in reality and know Will has been around long enough he knows how to play the game.

This is textbook PR.  You fuck up.  You issue a statement saying you are sorry apologizing to the person you fucked up about. And then you hope it blows over.   Will Smith is not going to be cancelled.  But his nice guy image has taken a significant hit. And worst of all as someone mentioned on another board he is now going to have to live with random people upon seeing him yelling "Keep my wife's name out of your motherfucking mouth."

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

And the man she was talking about at that time still has his Oscar.

Yes, but if he entered the US to accept his award in person he would have been arrested on the spot.  Weinstein has been stripped of his lifetime membership and is rotting away in prison.  Will Smith committed a felony on that stage and nothing was done. 

The academy now has a code of conduct in place for felonious behavior like Weinstein, Polanski and yes, Smith.  Smith, as an active member of the academy would have been aware of these changes post Weinstein, yet he chose to walk up on that stage, attack Chris in front of millions of witnesses with zero fear of repercussions.  If the board of governors allow this to go unchecked it's the end of this institution.

• Love 11

I didn't think Joy was defending Will Smith at all. I thought what she said was probably true, for one, and she ended on the fact that that's no excuse for an adult not having impulse control. Of course, Tara framed her as if she was excusing him anyway. I can't stand her.

3 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

And stop making EVERYTHING about race.  

I don't remember them making anything about Will Smith about race, considering he assaulted a fellow Black man. I only see that from commenters here, tbh.

• Love 20
14 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

What is there to explain? He got mad and his anger resulted in physical violence.  Clearly he has issues that need dealt with but I don't see  his behavior as something that needs to be explained so people can feel less horrified by what he did.

That was a direct quote from Joy, I should have put it in quotes.  She probably got blasted in her ear from one of the producers asking her to clarify her defense (but not really, lol) of Will.  Bravo to your last sentence.

18 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

This is textbook PR.  You fuck up.  You issue a statement saying you are sorry apologizing to the person you fucked up about. And then you hope it blows over.   Will Smith is not going to be cancelled.  But his nice guy image has taken a significant hit. And worst of all as someone mentioned on another board he is now going to have to live with random people upon seeing him yelling "Keep my wife's name out of your motherfucking mouth."

Absolutely.  

Like I told you yesterday, I'm not even such a big fan of Chris Rock but this narrative that Will was defending his wife is bananas. It was a joke a bad joke. The idea of physically assaulting someone over a joke is ridiculous. However the narrative is being spread that it was for Jada's defense. Even when you listen to Cory Booker say  he doesn't endorse cruel jokes or one of the hosts (Joy?) say Jada gave him the signal umm no Will Smith is responsiblenot Chris bad joke or Jada's facial expression. CR's joke was bad ,meaning not funny and dated as hell lol. We don't know if he knew of her illness.  Wasn't there an awards show a few years ago that Ricky Gervais hosted and he just roasted celeb after celeb in attendance.  

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I didn't think Joy was defending Will Smith at all. I thought what she said was probably true, for one, and she ended on the fact that that's no excuse for an adult not having impulse control. Of course, Tara framed her as if she was excusing him anyway. I can't stand her.

I don't remember them making anything about Will Smith about race, considering he assaulted a fellow Black man. I only see that from commenters here, tbh.

Whoopi said how would it look if a black man was dragged off the stage.  It would look like he was being  removed from the auditorium because he just physically attacked another man and then hurled threatening expletives at him from his seat.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Considering Whoopi has defended Will Smith and nobody contradicts her, I don't think a producer would be blasting in Joy's ear over the matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, (I know you will) but I don't believe Whoopi wears an ear bud.  She said a long time ago she didn't want the distraction of someone talking in her ear.  Joy made it very clear she wanted everyone to know she wasn't defending him.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, (I know you will) but I don't believe Whoopi wears an ear bud.  She said a long time ago she didn't want the distraction of someone talking in her ear.  Joy made it very clear she wanted everyone to know she wasn't defending him.  

No. Whoopi does. It’s how she knows she has cut off a good debate and go to commercial. Or when you hear her “talking” to someone not at the table.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. Whoopi does. It’s how she knows she has cut off a good debate and go to commercial. Or when you hear her “talking” to someone not at the table.

Okay, I thought she took all her cues from the man who stands offstage, I always see her looking that way when she announces they have to go to break.  They should place another cue person in front of the guest co-hosts because I feel they'd know when to rein it in when a a hard break was coming up.

4 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Yes.... She wanted it to be clear she wasn't defending him because she wasn't defending him, regardless of Tara being an asshole.

LOL, I don't hate Tara, she doesn't annoy me like many of the others parading through that set.  Why don't you like her?

• Love 2

I like Tara but if she was there every day I might change my mind.  Just like everyone else who has sat in that chair  

I had an emergency to attend to so I missed everything after Corey was asked about the Will Smith thing. Did I miss anything?

• Love 1

The Emmett Till bill passing into law.  I believe that was it and then they had on Kevin Jonas and his wife (didn't watch.)

Forgot to quote - that was for you, Haleth.

Edited by Ellis Bell
No Quote
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

To Whoopi the worst thing that could happen to Will Smith would be having the Oscar taken away.  To me, it would have been if he had been arrested for assault.  But that’s just me.

Did you see her reaction yesterday when Sunny (not sure) asked if his Oscar would be taken from him.  I actually laughed out loud, she looked horrified like it was some divine statue delivered by angels.   Whoopi, your movie star glory days are over.  Deal with it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Neither Whoopi or Joy are excusing Will's behavior.  Both have said repeatedly that it was wrong.   Both have said there should be consequences to his actions.   

You must be watching a different show.  Oh, my sides.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

You must be watching a different show.  Oh, my sides.

Nope.  Watching the same show.   And what I saw was Joy and Whoopi clearly saying what he did was wrong and that there should be consequences.   Now Whoopi may disagree about the level of punishment from some of the other panelists.  And both tried to explain the behavior (which is different from excusing the behavior).   

Edited by After7Only
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

Did you see her reaction yesterday when Sunny (not sure) asked if his Oscar would be taken from him.  I actually laughed out loud, she looked horrified like it was some divine statue delivered by angels.   Whoopi, your movie star glory days are over.  Deal with it.

I noticed her reaction as well lol. I hate when it's award season, especially the oscars. Whoopi talks about them as if it's so complicated only  a genius could understand.  Remember when they talked about having viewers vote or something? She was so over the top that "we"(people in the academy)know how it works, not ordinary movie viewers. You're an actress not a scientist lady. Don't get me wrong,  I do believe there are cinema genius at work everday.....Whoopi's just isn't one of them for me. I loved her in The Color Purple but her over blown ego and defense of everything Hollywood bugs the hell out of me.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Nope.  Watching the same show.   And what I say was Joy and Whoopi clearly saying what he did was wrong and that there should be consequences.   Now Whoopi may disagree about the level of punishment from some of the other panelists.  And both tried to explain the behavior (which is different from excusing the behavior).   

His behavior had to do with a strong sense of entitlement and a level of arrogance only an A-Lister would consider acceptable.  When people start making excuses (explaining) someone's behavior that's a sure sign they're in the wrong.  I seriously don't care that his dad was an abusive asshole, that does not give you an excuse to act out and physically harm another human being.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

I noticed her reaction as well lol. I hate when it's award season, especially the oscars. Whoopi talks about them as if it's so complicated only  a genius could understand.  Remember when they talked about having viewers vote or something? She was so over the top that "we"(people in the academy)know how it works, not ordinary movie viewers. You're an actress not a scientist lady. Don't get me wrong,  I do believe there are cinema genius at work everday.....Whoopi's just isn't one of them for me. I loved her in The Color Purple but her over blown ego and defense of everything Hollywood bugs the hell out of me.

It's that exact defense.  I think it shows how strong she is.  I also think if Whoopi has any of her peoples, that can vote, please vote..

I haven't read what all is all.  Sunny can you some how get a copy?  I'm sure would be glad to view it.  Back to W, if I ever had any trouble.  She is just a person I can trust to take my case.  I know, she's not  lawyer.  They are all,over the place., trust me i will have no problem finding one hah

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

The photos I just saw of everyone getting jiggy with him at the after parties while his own music was playing were also gross.  The word gross being a gross understatement. 

And I've officially run out of comments about Whoopi. 

Agree!  That and the standing ovation…truly tone deaf.  Had Chris Rock done why he was legally entitled to do, he wouldn’t have been there for any of that as he would have been arrested.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Cozytea said:

Absolutely.  

Like I told you yesterday, I'm not even such a big fan of Chris Rock but this narrative that Will was defending his wife is bananas. It was a joke a bad joke. The idea of physically assaulting someone over a joke is ridiculous. However the narrative is being spread that it was for Jada's defense. Even when you listen to Cory Booker say  he doesn't endorse cruel jokes or one of the hosts (Joy?) say Jada gave him the signal umm no Will Smith is responsiblenot Chris bad joke or Jada's facial expression. CR's joke was bad ,meaning not funny and dated as hell lol. We don't know if he knew of her illness.  Wasn't there an awards show a few years ago that Ricky Gervais hosted and he just roasted celeb after celeb in attendance.  

Rebel Wilson hosted the BAFTAs and made a joke about them, though he wasn’t there. Said that she thought his best acting job recently was acting ok with all of his wife’s partners.  Apparently no angry tweet about it from him though he sort of commented on the quip in an interview where he just noted they have an open marriage.  They’ve put all their laundry out there over the years and to assume there wouldn’t be jokes is truly ridiculous.  And Rocks joke wasn’t even that bad given the fact that he’s apparently said he didn’t know about the alopecia situation (and she’s had that close shaved hair look before). It was a nothing thing and the fact that his impulse was to slug someone is really odd and scary.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Cozytea said:

As disgusting as I find Will Smith's assault on Chris Rock, I equally find everyone in that room that gave him a standing ovation disgusting. I completely understand being shocked and not knowing how to react after it first happened, however after watching him scream at CR from his seat and realizing that he had in fact assaulted  CR  then giving him a standing ovation for that BS speech.

Whoopi trying defend WS is typical Whoopi, and I didn't expect anything else. 

I agree.   If a comic tells a joke you don't like, there are a lot of options - booing, calling out that it was not funny, talking to him afterwards, going to social media afterwards, lots of options.  HITTING is not the only way to defend your wife from a joke, even if the joke was mean and insensitive. Responding in a civilized way, that the joke was hurtful, would make Chris Rock look like the bad guy.  PLUS, Smith, in accepting the award, was allowed to go on and on, way longer than these speeches are usually allowed to go on.  

The standing ovation almost seemed like the audience (academy members)  were applauding his actions, not just his award.  I can't help but imagine Chris ROck might have felt that too.   Smith should have been asked to leave once he returned to his seat after the slap.  

4 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

Whoopi said how would it look if a black man was dragged off the stage.  It would look like he was being  removed from the auditorium because he just physically attacked another man and then hurled threatening expletives at him from his seat.

DRAGGED off stage?  sure, that would have been chaos.   But how about, once he returned to his seat and then began screaming expletives, having security show up to ESCORT (not drag)  him out of the building.  That would have sent a powerful message about violence.  And then he wouldn't have been given the chance to explain himself, but referencing the movie he won the award for, and talk about protecting his family.  His explanation would have had to come later, after he had time to consider what he had actually done.  He still would have won the award, since the votes were already counted, but that would have been a powerful message - not being there to accept an award because you lost control of your temper and assaulted someone.

Bottomline - isn't this what we teach our kids? feeling angry is OK, talking about anger is OK, hitting people because you're angry is NOT OK. 

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 17