Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Anti-Hero

• Start Topic

Look on the bright side, Clark. You can catch up on your reading while locked up with Edge.

I enjoy Edge's amusement that his Golden Boy brother is locked up. Seriously, he needs to become the peanut gallery cause he does it well.

I wonder if we'll ever meet Bizarro Edge. I bet he's really kind and helpful.

"He's Superman for God's sake." Exactly, Lois. Just write an opinion piece and give it to all the major papers for free and rally the country around your cause.

Jon's lucky that Dad's locked up and distracting Mom.

I want Lana to take her anger at Kyle out on Mayor Shithead.

"He was caught with WHAT?" Mom Lois activate!

"You attacked my son!" I love how Edge's response to Clark's anger is "eh, I overreacted but no big." This is fun.

Aww, Snugglemuffin is so sad in the face of Lois' disappointment. He earned it but still.

See, Edge? Clark does care a little about your well-being. He lied for you and everything.

Lois went to Lana! I'm sure Lana's happy for the distraction if nothing else. Glad their friendship hasn't been forgotten.

Jordan the answer is right in front of you. Other than you and your parents, there's only one person Jon would put himself at risk for so think it through.

Anderson really enjoyed jumping to conclusions doesn't he? A broken suit could also indicate that Bizarro and Supes had themselves a fight genius. I bet he falls under Ally's thrall eventually. Oh he has some X-K himself? Surprised he's abstained this long.

Hee, Edge has been stumped at the idea that his gegenständiger (did I do it right @legaleagle53?) had a wife. I assume that was Bizarro Lana we saw? Also, he's into the idea so watch out Regular Lana!

Cheeky grin from Bizarro at Anderson being unable to shoot him. Since he gets his powers from the red sun I assume that traditional kryptonite won't harm him? Well it's clear the X-K does so point to Anderson.

And my signal went out...for three seconds, whew.

I guess it's good that Anderson's on X-K since Bizarro's throwing him around the cave. Without it he'd be dead several times over.

I will be shocked if Anderson just killed Bizarro. On the other hand, if he did, then maybe we'll see him use the body and create Doomsday like Lois foreshadowed at the beginning of the season?

Signal went out again. Stupid rain. This could all be avoided if The CW allowed live streaming nationwide. When fucking Dominoes offers a better signal for their commercials you've fucked up.

Ok it's back and Edge is back in the cell while Anderson escaped after killing Bizarro.

Ok, do none of these military people watching the feed and standing right outside the cell pay any attention to the fact that Edge and Supes have mentioned Superman's son multiple times? Are none of them interested in this little detail?

Clark's home! Lois has had quite a day herself.

Go Lana go! Put Mayor Shithead in his place! 

Dad Clark has arrived! Been waiting for this all episode. 

Signal out again. Shitty timing signal.

Back. I called it! Anderson is Ally's new BFF.

So my signal sucked over and over but at least I seemed to have hit all the important points. 

• Love 6

You'd think the best investigative journalist in the world would at least suspect her son of taking the fall for his girlfriend, but I suppose having Clark locked up for treason means she's too distracted to be firing on all cylinders.  Still, since it's obviously not Jordan who the heck else would he do it for?  Poor kid just blew up his life - maybe he and Kyle can commiserate about how miserable their lives are.

So who was Bizarro Edge married to? Lana? Lucy? Chrissy?  Not too many current cast members to choose from if they don't want to expand their roster.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

So who was Bizarro Edge married to? Lana?

My guess is Bizarro Lana. Last season he seemed to be low key into Real Lana and hers is the only other opposite we've seen among the regulars so it would track.

• Love 1

I thought there was a genetic component and X-K worked best on people from Smallville. Anderson just huffed 7 or 8 vials of the stuff and just kept getting stronger and stronger. I was waiting for his head to explode,

Jon, you know you screwed up when you make Clark Kent angry enough to cuss at his child. But I really wish someone would yell at him about a kryptonite product being potentially dangerous to a half-kryptonian as an added layer of danger. 

Yeah, I think Bizarro Lana and Bizarro Tal-Rho were a thing. Can they have kids named Sophie and Sarah? I'd be amused by a Natalie Irons-y situation. And I'm ready for Natalie and John Henry to come back.

I really thought Bizarro was gonna break them out of the red sun cell. Of course, that's also what I thought would happen at the end of the last episode.

51 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

You'd think the best investigative journalist in the world would at least suspect her son of taking the fall for his girlfriend, but I suppose having Clark locked up for treason means she's too distracted to be firing on all cylinders. 

In fairness, the girlfriend is very forgettable. I'd have liked it more if it were last season girlfriend, what with the warnings and the villainous dad. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Cheeky grin from Bizarro at Anderson being unable to shoot him. Since he gets his powers from the red sun I assume that traditional kryptonite won't harm him? Well it's clear the X-K does so point to Anderson.

I don't fully recall my Superman reading days, but I do seem to remember that Bizarro is sort of the opposite from Superman (not entirely). So green K powers him up, and he has cold vision instead of heat vision. I assume that since X-K empowers normal people that means it disempowers Bizarro. Or something like that.

Anyway, RIP Bizarro.

• Love 1

Sam: I got my men looking in on Anderson. We'll find out where Clark is soon.

Lois: Thanks, Dad. What about the other thing?

Sam: Well, I'm not really into family trees, but I'm pretty certain no cousins ever married on my side. Same with your mother. (awkward pause) Which kid?

Lois: (exhaling deeply) Jonathan. He was caught with a bag full of X-Kryptonite inhalers.

Sam: Well, damn. That explains why he was so aggressive when I was training Jordan to fight for the next major battle we'll probably have.

Lois: (jaw drop)

Sam: (realization dawns) Oh, shit.

(later)

Lois: (on phone): Okay, I don't have to move to Stargirl's Earth for good. Just for a month. Maybe two. Seriously, these people are stressing me the hell out. Well, what about Naomi's Earth? She'd LOVE me!

Jonathan is a dumbass. The whole thing about not ratting out his girlfriend (and possibly the QB he replaced) are dwarfed by the whole "If it's me, maybe I won't get into that much trouble" thing. We're talking Clark-from-Smallville level dumbass.

Wait, Bizarro is dead?

7 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I don't fully recall my Superman reading days, but I do seem to remember that Bizarro is sort of the opposite from Superman (not entirely). So green K powers him up, and he has cold vision instead of heat vision. I assume that since X-K empowers normal people that means it disempowers Bizarro. Or something like that.

*deep sigh because this sort of stuff is easily accessed from my mind, and I kinda wish it wasn't*

In the comics, I think Blue Kryptonite was deadly for Bizarros. Superman had an evil variant from Earth-3 named Ultraman, and exposure to Kryptonite would give him new powers.

I liked Clark bonding with Tal-Rho in the mismatched brothers escape movie we never asked for.

That's the girl Sarah kissed? I like her. I'm not "liking her liking her." I'm just hoping she doesn't become a pain in the ass down the line. Maybe she's an illegitimate daughter of the Mayor. Anderson and What's-Her-Name can kill him in the final arc, and I don't think anyone would shed a tear.

• Love 3

Jonathan needs the lesson of learning to not cover for his girlfriend. She would rat him out for probably a new makeup item from Sephora - even less. With this type of circumstance, you let the chips fall. She won't do anything for you, sucker. He was just lucky his dad was out of commission and his mom was a bit preoccupied. Although Dad did give him an earful. Hope he coughs up the truth the next day.

Sarah's friend was cute. Wonder if she will reappear. Lana did score some points on the current Mayor's family values. No, a town's citizens are not family.

Bye Bizarro!

Anderson is greedy and wanting power. He and Ally will become partners in crime. Guess he has been taking the XK drug too. Nice to see Morgan Edge again.

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought there was a genetic component and X-K worked best on people from Smallville. Anderson just huffed 7 or 8 vials of the stuff and just kept getting stronger and stronger. I was waiting for his head to explode,

IIRC, for the process of turning humans to XKryptonians to have longlasting success, it required people from Smallville presumably because they had some reaction to growing up near all the XK. That doesn't mean that other forms of exposure to XK don't grant powers in different ways/different durations etc. Long story short, the writers can do what they want.

(edited)

I waited a season and a half for Clark and Jonathan to have an on-screen conversation, just the two of them, that wasn’t about another family member — and this is what I get.

I hate what they’re doing with Jonathan. Hate. It.

Edited by kickingnames
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

That's the girl Sarah kissed? I like her. I'm not "liking her liking her." I'm just hoping she doesn't become a pain in the ass down the line. Maybe she's an illegitimate daughter of the Mayor. Anderson and What's-Her-Name can kill him in the final arc, and I don't think anyone would shed a tear.

Aubrey.

13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

My guess is Bizarro Lana. Last season he seemed to be low key into Real Lana and hers is the only other opposite we've seen among the regulars so it would track.

And Bizarro Lana was wearing the House of Rho symbol.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Jonathan is absurdly loyal to a girlfriend that he never seems to spend any time with. I guess that's why the parents don't suspect her, they don't even know about her.

I liked that bit where Bizarro took a green kryptonite bullet and absorbed it. I wish that had been explored a little further.

For my money, if someone gives me a weapon/drug/etc and says "go beat up Superman with this" I am going to respond HELL NO but I guess that's why I'm not in the DoD.

That super-jail is kind of funny. If ever Tal Rho escapes, surely he won't be able to defeat this chain link fence! You know what, just to be safe we'll put in two chain link fences. Now he's really stuck!

Super-jail also only has one bed in it and for some reason includes a toilet. There was comedy gold potential there and they left it in the ground.

I feel bad for Tal Rho. All he wants is a friend. Look how happy he was to have some company! He even apologized for attacking Jordan (whom as I recall struck him first).

• Love 3

Oh, Jonathan. Poor, sweet, dumb, naive Jonathan. It's unfortunate, yet realistic, for him to believe that protecting Candice would be alright since he was a good kid and wouldn't get in trouble. Now, I do like that one of his main traits is loyalty, but I dislike that he's remaining loyal to his girlfriend, who won't stick her neck out for him and seems to be more concerned with the drugs she's selling that her boyfriend. And I have a feeling she won't be too torn up about him being expelled for her. Then again, she didn't seem to mind selling her boyfriend drugs so how good of a girlfriend is she really?

I can't blame Lois and Clark for freaking out on Jon for his decision. It's a rather dumb choice by him, but at the same time, they aren't listening to him and they aren't getting to the root cause. They don't seem to want to sit down and spend time to help Jon instead of punish him, which is a shame. So now, poor kid has his whole family pissed at him. I know they have a lot on their plate right now, but can you please just talk to Jonathan instead of yelling at him? 

I find it hard to believe even an X-K powered Anderson would be able to kill even a less powered Bizarro like that. Knocking him unconscious, sure. Killing him? No way. 

I'm glad Tal survived. There seems to be a lot more to explore with him and his Bizarro self, but I think the show has surprisingly done a good job at...not redeeming him, per say, but not making him to be the total villain anymore. 

Lana's mayoral stuff is boring. I wish they sacrificed that for more Kent moments. 

Sarah turning to Aubrey is not a surprise. I wish they weren't going down that path, but alas, here we are. Next thing we know, Aubrey will be moving to town, guaranteed. 

I guess it's good that Anderson has fully embraced his villain side, but him giving Ally the pendant? Great, good going, Anderson. You've certainly doomed people with your move! I think he'll come to regret it, but it'll be too late for him.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

You'd think the best investigative journalist in the world would at least suspect her son of taking the fall for his girlfriend, but I suppose having Clark locked up for treason means she's too distracted to be firing on all cylinders.  Still, since it's obviously not Jordan who the heck else would he do it for?  Poor kid just blew up his life - maybe he and Kyle can commiserate about how miserable their lives are.

So who was Bizarro Edge married to? Lana? Lucy? Chrissy?  Not too many current cast members to choose from if they don't want to expand their roster.

Maybe Ally Allston

(edited)
2 hours ago, ElTVaddict said:

Maybe Ally Allston

No, it's Lana. That's why she had the House of Rho symbol. And it's ironic that he asked who she was so he could look her up when they've already met.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

guess it's good that Anderson has fully embraced his villain side, but him giving Ally the pendant? Great, good going, Anderson. You've certainly doomed people with your move! I think he'll come to regret it, but it'll be too late for him.

Anderson has lost the plot.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness

Dammit, Jonathan!  Yeah, yeah, I know he's a teenage boy and they are prone to making a bunch of stupid mistakes and poor decision making, but it is frustrating watching him be loyal to someone that likely won't be as loyal to him if the shoe was on the other foot, and possibly throw his life away (or at least make it much harder for him going forward.)  Dude definitely needs a reality check soon.  That said, while I totally understand both Clark and Lois' frustration and anger with what he did, I don't think they quite got the core of his issue (feeling like he doesn't have a purpose compared to the rest of the Kents), and I feel like that's going to be a major problem.  Hopefully when everything calms down (heh, like they'll be so lucky!), they start realizing that Jonathan has a lot going on right now and they really need to find a way to address this beyond simply chewing him out and dishing out punishment (even if it's deserved.)

Agree though that it is a little unbelievable that no one has figured out that it is Candice that he is covering for.  Covering and risking expulsion for your girlfriend is way more likely than just a teammate or friend.

Well, RIP Bizarro, I guess.  Surprised he's already taken off the board.  I guess it wouldn't have been easy for Tyler Hoechlin to play two different characters for too long, but I'll kind of miss him.

Looks like they're already planting seeds for a redemption arc for Tal-Rho, which is a bit predictable, but I admittedly got a kick out of him here: especially him curious about the Tal-Rho from Opposite World.  Agree that Bizarro Lana seems like the most likely suspect to be his Bizarro's wife.

I wonder if we'll see this Aubrey character again.

Enjoyed the Lois/Lana scene.

Credit to Erik Valdez: despite only one brief scene, he really made me feel for Kyle when he saw Sarah again.

So, Anderson's just gone full-blown cray-cray on this joint by not only taking X-K and killing Bizarro, but now going A-Wall and throwing in with freaking Ally Allston of all people.  He might be the worst out of the Arrowverse military leaders and that is really saying something!

Nice seeing Elizabeth Henstridge's name in the credits!  Glad she's getting more turns in the director's chair.

• Love 7

Last season it was Jordan not able to deal with his emotions and what is going on and this season it's Jonathan.  It's obvious that Jon is the one that usually figures things out, but his parents need to do some realization.  How hard it is to be the son that lost his place in the world.  He doesn't have powers, doesn't really get to play football and so he caves and takes the easy way out.

My problem is this season seems a little more predictable.  The last two eps have up the bar a bit, but the death of Bizarro and Anderson going crazy feels more like checking the boxes.  I hope Jordan figures it out Jonathan's feeling and covering up for a bad girlfriend.  It's time for Jordan to be the smart one and help his parents understand where his brother is coming from.  That would line up with what they did last season.

So I guess Ally has everything she needs to destroy the world.  Guess it could give Tal-Rho an opportunity to redeem himself.  He was fun to watch this ep.

Not too many points to cover that hasn't already been touched on.  I did enjoy the last two more than the beginning eps, but hopefully the plot will get stronger and it builds to an interesting story that isn't predictable.

• Love 1

I'll give you that it was likely that Anderson would at some point power up and turn his feud with Superman into a physical one. But I don't think the death of Bizarro was at all predictable. Bizarro is a classic Superman villain, and one would think that he's protected by plot armor. In fact, I'm not convinced he's dead-dead. 

In terms of who supplied Jon the drugs, it is easy when we know the answer to connect the dots. But Candice isn't necessarily the only person Jon would lie for or the only suspect. Honestly, the coach and the other members of the football team are all potential suspects that fit as good or better than Candice in the abstract, as the team benefited from both Jon and Timmy (and possibly others) being on XK. Plus stereotypes probably put a little bit of blinders on. It might be sexist, but I think most people think drug dealer think about it being a guy. 

I don't know if we have gotten enough characterization on Candice to know if she actually cares for Jon or would stab him in the back in a heartbeat if it would make her a buck. I saw that she was texting him but didn't get what she was saying. Anything significant?

I am sad that Breaking Bad Jon has disappeared and we are back to shit-on-Jon.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I don't know if we have gotten enough characterization on Candice to know if she actually cares for Jon or would stab him in the back in a heartbeat if it would make her a buck. I saw that she was texting him but didn't get what she was saying. Anything significant?

She was just asking if he was okay. She said she was worried about him. Just some BS. 

If she really cared about him, she would turn herself in. Is she really gonna let her boyfriend take the fall and get expelled from school? If she really cared, she wouldn't have tried to get him take more after he said no. I'm sorry, but Candice does not come off as someone I would cover for. I rolled my eyes at her crying about possibly getting caught. Honey, you decided to sell drugs, so deal with the consequences. Especially since she stupidly brought them to school. She can't meet the people she sell it to outside of school? Unless Jon said to bring him more, there's no reason she should've brought the drugs to school.

• Love 6

I am sad that Bizarro has been killed already.  He was a great character, and I would have enjoyed seeing Clark and Bizarro teaming up to take down Ally Alston.

Wasn't it a not-so-closely-guarded secret among the football team that Candice was the supplier of X-K?  Or was it only Timmy that knew?  Surely he must have told his friends.  I don't think it's too difficult to figure out that Candice is the dealer.  I'm curious as to where she got her supply.  I couldn't read what was on the texts she sent him... I hope she at least feels guilty that she ruined his life.  And I hope he dumps her.  Shouldn't she be the first person that Clark and Lois (and Jordan) suspect?

She said to Jon that she couldn't get caught with the stuff, but I forget why.  He seemed to think that because he's a "good kid" that he would just get a slap on the wrist.  Does that mean she isn't a "good kid"?  She's clearly not.  Bring back the "out of your league" girlfriend from last season.

I miss John Henry and Natalie, although I assume the reason why we aren't seeing John Henry in his suit is because they had to save money for the superpowered fights between Clark, Tal Rho, Anderson and Bizarro.

I don't miss Chrissy.  I hope Ally transports her into the other world, never to be seen ever again.

What happened to Leslie Larr?  Is she still locked up somewhere?  At first I thought that Tal Rho was married to her in the Bizarro World but I think it should be assumed it's Lana.  I hope there isn't going to be a Lana/Tal/Kyle triangle.

How long was Clark locked up in the superprison?  Seemed like it was at least two days?  I wonder how Lois explained his absence to her friends.  Everyone knows he doesn't work so it's not like he had a sudden business trip, and his only relative (mom) died last year.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I'll give you that it was likely that Anderson would at some point power up and turn his feud with Superman into a physical one. But I don't think the death of Bizarro was at all predictable. Bizarro is a classic Superman villain, and one would think that he's protected by plot armor. In fact, I'm not convinced he's dead-dead. 

In terms of who supplied Jon the drugs, it is easy when we know the answer to connect the dots. But Candice isn't necessarily the only person Jon would lie for or the only suspect. Honestly, the coach and the other members of the football team are all potential suspects that fit as good or better than Candice in the abstract, as the team benefited from both Jon and Timmy (and possibly others) being on XK. Plus stereotypes probably put a little bit of blinders on. It might be sexist, but I think most people think drug dealer think about it being a guy. 

I am sad that Breaking Bad Jon has disappeared and we are back to shit-on-Jon.

Yes, I wanted to learn more about Bizarro and his family. Perhaps he survived, or will survive with an infusion of kryptonite or a series of red light baths and will show up at the end of the show. I also wonder if Clark will dress as Bizarro and travel to the bizzaro world at some point. I really want to see more of that world. We will see.

Jon would have been quiet about Candace since she was found in his bed and she did say the drug sales were supporting her family, so it isn't immediately damning that she doesn't take responsibility for the bag of drugs she handed Jon, but continued silence is damning. Also, looking at it this way he could be protecting anyone in that position.

You are also right, we don't know if Candace was in fact seducing all of the football players with the end goal of selling her drugs or if she was genuinely fond of Jon.

I was impressed by how evenly Clark spoke to Jon, given the circumstances he held his actual irrational anger in check. Lois was less controlled, but Lois's anger is less dangerous. Yes, Jon is running into real world consequences for his actions, but his taking the drug and taking the unfair advantage in football, is pretty bad right there, especially when he is someone who potentially has an unfair advantage over humans. This alone would be a huge deal for Clark.

I also don't think that Jon is 'shit on' per se. He was the one of the twins who was the most together for most of their lives, apparently, and he is trying to maintain that position in the family because it is comfortable for him. It is probably too bad he didn't end up getting more support from the irons family, or even that Grandpa didn't spend more time with him. (I mean that could have balanced things out a little and maybe Irons or Lane would have noticed he was having problems and mentioned it).

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 2

Long term the prison Edge is in is really awful. I wonder if they replace the books, still he is alone, on display in a small space for an indefinite period of time, Generally a horrible horrible environment. Clark seemed to genuinely want a better relationship with his brother and I wonder if Edge is actually capable of changing that much.

7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

What happened to Leslie Larr?  Is she still locked up somewhere?  At first I thought that Tal Rho was married to her in the Bizarro World but I think it should be assumed it's Lana.  I hope there isn't going to be a Lana/Tal/Kyle triangle.

How long was Clark locked up in the superprison?  Seemed like it was at least two days?  I wonder how Lois explained his absence to her friends.  Everyone knows he doesn't work so it's not like he had a sudden business trip, and his only relative (mom) died last year.  

Lois and Clark live on a farm and both worked as journalists somewhere else. He could have been visiting a friend, working on a side project or simply at home fixing the plumbing. If someone dropped by he would be out hiking through the North Forty.

When Kyle showed up I was reminded how good the actor is and I would miss him for the range of emotions he expresses. Maybe more than Lana or Sarah. Still, I like the idea of Lana dealing with her own issues.

I don't mind Chrissy, the actor or the character, but Lois would take up an unreasonable amount of space in that relationship and I don't see that they have really started to have that make sense.

23 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Jonathan is absurdly loyal to a girlfriend that he never seems to spend any time with. I guess that's why the parents don't suspect her, they don't even know about her.

Didn't Lois catch her in Jonathan's bedroom with her top off?

• Love 1

Oh Jonathan, you sweet dumb child. Messing up your entire life all for your sketchy drug dealer girlfriend who I am sure would not do the same for you, and certainly seems alright with letting her boyfriend take the fall for her. Normally Jonathan's loyalty is one of his best qualities, but that's more of a good quality when its loyalty to people who deserve it. Being loyal to people that don't deserve loyalty is just depressing. Jonathan has clearly made a lot of mistakes, both doing the drugs and lying about who he got the drugs from, and Clark and Lois are right to punish him, but I think they are still missing the bigger issue here. This all started because Jonathan feels like he is the only member of their family who isn't special, he's dealt with tons of rough stuff in a really short period of time, he feels forgotten by his own family, this is all clearly just symptoms of bigger problems that they need to address beyond just yelling at and punishing him. Maybe that's one of the reasons he is so ride or die for Candice right now, she's the only person really giving him positive attention, even if that attention seems to be mostly around drugs and football. It also possible that Clark and Lois don't really know how to handle a Jonathan that is struggling and acting out after years of him being the "easy" kid.

It looks like they are heading towards a Tal redemption story, or at least making him more sympathetic, which I have suspected for awhile. Clark is clearly and understandably warry of him, but I think he does want to have a relationship with him and is already hoping to one day have a real brother. I did quite like Tal in this episode, I just knew he would be smug as hell when Clark got tossed into prison with him, and they had a fun dynamic between them. Plus, you know how much this franchise loves its snarky villains turned anti heroes. Hence the name. I love how excited Tal was to find out that he has a wife in Bizarro world, and I am almost sure that his wife is Lana. 

I am sad to see Bizarro apparently gone already, I really liked him and want to see more of his weird world, but now with Anderson and Ally teaming up they might have thought they have too many villains. Anderson and Ally are already a recipe for disaster.

I liked the Lana/Lois scenes and I am glad that Lana showed up the smug asshole mayor. Also glad that Sarah decided to talk to Kyle, i can see why she's so mad at him but she will also regret it I think if she gives up on him.

• Love 5
On 3/8/2022 at 6:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Ok, do none of these military people watching the feed and standing right outside the cell pay any attention to the fact that Edge and Supes have mentioned Superman's son multiple times? Are none of them interested in this little detail?

OMG - right!  I can't recall, but did that conversation happen while in the military prison?!  If so, wow the writers really mess up. You just KNOW that prison is being recorded yet not a single person reacts to Superman mentioning his SON?!  

On 3/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, AnimeMania said:

On 3/8/2022 at 11:04 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

IIRC, for the process of turning humans to XKryptonians to have longlasting success, it required people from Smallville presumably because they had some reaction to growing up near all the XK. That doesn't mean that other forms of exposure to XK don't grant powers in different ways/different durations etc. Long story short, the writers can do what they want.

I too wondered about Anderson's use of X-K.  As for the bolded from @Chicago Redshirt's post, that is a massive FAIL by the writers when they already established just a mere ONE YEAR AGO how X-K works on humans! Anderson's non- "long exposure to Smallville" body should show serious problems with all the X-K he inhaled.

37 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

OMG - right!  I can't recall, but did that conversation happen while in the military prison?! 

Yep. The final time there was at least one soldier mere feet behind Supes. I considered whether we were supposed to think they were conversing in Kryptonese but dismissed since they specifically showed us when they switched to it from English. So they were just casually referring to Superman's son at least twice. Since Anderson picked up on Supes' concern about Ally and went straight to her after killing Bizarro it may still come up as a way to get to him.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, BeautifulFlower said:

She was just asking if he was okay. She said she was worried about him. Just some BS. 

If she really cared about him, she would turn herself in. Is she really gonna let her boyfriend take the fall and get expelled from school? If she really cared, she wouldn't have tried to get him take more after he said no. I'm sorry, but Candice does not come off as someone I would cover for. I rolled my eyes at her crying about possibly getting caught. Honey, you decided to sell drugs, so deal with the consequences. Especially since she stupidly brought them to school. She can't meet the people she sell it to outside of school? Unless Jon said to bring him more, there's no reason she should've brought the drugs to school.

I think that judging her as a 15-year-old calls for more leniency, both for drug dealing and also for her letting Jon claim that the drugs were his. It's very possible that she, like Jon, thought that his good kid/new football hero/good parents/relative wealth would have combined to make the possession of the drugs a slap on the wrist. Or it's possible that she had her doubts about that but in the heat of the moment listened to him and/or hoped for the best. It's possible that she is happy that Jon is her patsy and any check-ns with him are merely attempts to make sure he doesn't snitch on her. 

We can't really know which of the above (or other) possibilities might be the true one because we have pretty little background about Candice. All we really know about her is a. she likes Jon enough to at least do some preliminary fooling around with him )though we don't know how far they got) 2. she claims that she has been selling the XK to support her family 3. she is a cheerleader 4. she has sold the drugs to one other member of the football team, Timmy, and is knowledgeable enough about the drug's effects to be able to say it affects different people differently. 

Yes, she probably should have arranged to meet her clients outside of school and never brought the drugs in school. But she isn't exactly Scarface or Heisenberg. 

My prediction is that she comes clean in the next episode or two. 

On 3/10/2022 at 9:56 AM, blackwing said:

Wasn't it a not-so-closely-guarded secret among the football team that Candice was the supplier of X-K?  Or was it only Timmy that knew?  Surely he must have told his friends.  I don't think it's too difficult to figure out that Candice is the dealer.  I'm curious as to where she got her supply.  I couldn't read what was on the texts she sent him... I hope she at least feels guilty that she ruined his life.  And I hope he dumps her.  Shouldn't she be the first person that Clark and Lois (and Jordan) suspect.

IIRC, when Jon confronted Timmy, Timmy told him that Candice supplied the drugs. So I think it's a reasonable assumption that not too many people on the football team acted like it was common knowledge that there was XK being used by its members or that Candice was the supplier. Otherwise, word would have gotten back to Jon before that. 

The best I remember , we last saw Leslie and she was mwa-ha-haing while in DOD custody about how Clark wasn't going to be able to stop Tal-Rho's next step in his plan. 

Let's say that the DOD had Superman locked up for two or three days. That's not so many days that many people would even know that Clark was gone, let alone need to have an explanation. Clark doesn't have a job for his civilian half these days and the only adults who he interacts with who don't know his secret (as far as we know) are Lana, Kyle and the football coach. Lana maybe tried Clark at some point to talk about her drama, but as far as I can remember, Lois didn't make an excuse for why he didn't call her back and wasn't around. But it is also possible that Lana and Kyle went several days without trying to reach Clark and so didn't even realize he was gone. Football coach obviously is not as attuned to Clark's comings and goings. Also, Lois has probably been making excuses for Clark's sudden absences for nearly 20 years. I''m pretty sure she could come up with something.  Off the top of my head: visiting friends back in Metropolis, going for a potential job interview at a paper, reporting on a story he's freelancing, visiting his too-often-ignored cousin in National City... 

On 3/10/2022 at 9:59 AM, Affogato said:

I also don't think that Jon is 'shit on' per se. He was the one of the twins who was the most together for most of their lives, apparently, and he is trying to maintain that position in the family because it is comfortable for him. It is probably too bad he didn't end up getting more support from the irons family, or even that Grandpa didn't spend more time with him. (I mean that could have balanced things out a little and maybe Irons or Lane would have noticed he was having problems and mentioned it).

In a drama, bad stuff is going to of course happen to all the main characters But that is also usually balanced with good stuff and portrayals of them as a hero.

I think it's pretty clear that the writers have piled a ton of stuff on Jon in the season and a half of the show that is more than a 15-year-old can reasonably be expected to take, without much in the way of support. Jon has not had anyone ask about his losing his starting position, his friends, his girlfriend all because his dad wanted to uproot his family from the only home he has known.  Jon's arm was broken, he was nearly killed at least a couple times. And he has to deal with the enormity of having Superman for a dad and all the ramifications that has, from the possibility that on any given day his dad might not be coming home to having this incredible infallible figure to live up to to  not having superpowers. 

I just wish they gave the kid a break every now and again.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

In a drama, bad stuff is going to of course happen to all the main characters But that is also usually balanced with good stuff and portrayals of them as a hero.

I think it's pretty clear that the writers have piled a ton of stuff on Jon in the season and a half of the show that is more than a 15-year-old can reasonably be expected to take, without much in the way of support. Jon has not had anyone ask about his losing his starting position, his friends, his girlfriend all because his dad wanted to uproot his family from the only home he has known.  Jon's arm was broken, he was nearly killed at least a couple times. And he has to deal with the enormity of having Superman for a dad and all the ramifications that has, from the possibility that on any given day his dad might not be coming home to having this incredible infallible figure to live up to to  not having superpowers. 

I just wish they gave the kid a break every now and again.

Yeah but look at Jordan. He has been suffering with anxiety much of his life and has always been treated as delicate. He has little social experience. Moves to smallville and becomes the center of attention. His family depends on him to do this he doesn’t know how to handle yet. He gets in life or death fights. He is bombarded with loud noises and sensations. His dad is Superman. Etc. part of what gives the story tension is that jon could handle jordan’s position better than Jordan and Jordan could handle Jon’s position better. And part if that is Jordan is better at getting and accepting help. 

BOth of them are handling a lot. 

Clark and Lois could use a break too. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 2

I thought after last week that Bizarro was going to get a full redemption arc. Dammit. Tal Rho, maybe, still. Anderson, definitely not. When Superman says, “We just need to save the world and then you can put him on trial,” Anderson says, “I don’t care about a trial.” Yeah, you bet your sweet bippy you’re a former member of the DOD, buddy. What a disgrace to the uniform and the flag, not even counting him fully defecting to the Big Bad of the season. Ugh.

Jon is being an idiot, but man, it stings that his dad was locked up as a traitor with two (three) super-powered beings out there against him. And when he finally does get home safe, Jon doesn’t even get an “I love you, but I’m disappointed.” Just gets torn into, again, and the door shut on him. 

Lots of heavy themes this week. I want to go back to Jordan’s biggest problem being the coach shorts Mr. Kent wears. Show me tell me more…

• Love 1

Oops. The writers made a goof with coordinates. When Superman gave the coordinates, he said, “(some number) north longitude and (some number) west latitude.” Except those should be switched. Longitude is the one that runs north-south and therefore is denoted with either an east or west number. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

Im spoiler free despite being episodes behind but I’m willing to bet the reason they split Lana/Kyle is to leave her free for Edge which sucks as I like Kyle and he’s teetering on dangerous territory of the writers not knowing what to do with him.

Sarah was back to annoying me. She had no interest in trying to talk to Jordan about her problems. She barely tried but then was able to talk to her summer camp crush about it? There was definitely lingering feelings there and it just seemed lousy to Jordan.

Jon did a stupid thing but once again his feelings of inadequacy are glossed over by his family. I can’t help but think had it been Jordan doing the drugs Lois would have been a lot softer on him.

Edited by Avabelle

Well at least Col Anderson was actually dismissed for being an idiot – thanks to him, rather than bringing in Bizarro, the two Krptonians he had in captivity got freed. If it wasn't for one of his captives voluntarily returning the other, there would have been more villains out there. And why exactly didn’t he take a squad with him to bring them in? He wouldn’t have needed to super hyped up on Special K if he’d had a squad of troopers on Special K to deal with them and might have kept his job. And really? Would he turn to a cult leader after his dismissal? I’d assumed he was an extreme patriot (“Anything that might threaten America must be eliminated!”) but he seems prepared to hand an unknown individual the equivalent of a nuke.

Smallvillites are pretty fickle if all it takes to sway them is pointing out her opponent was attacking a woman for her husband cheating on her. Sure, it’s a low blow, but I expect people would actually be swayed by it.

Don’t really care about the “Drugs are bad” plotline, but it is a teen drama. And the school already has dogs that can sniff out X-K? That was quick work!

On 3/9/2022 at 2:00 AM, scarynikki12 said:

"He's Superman for God's sake." Exactly, Lois. Just write an opinion piece and give it to all the major papers for free and rally the country around your cause.

TPTB are stuck in a very 19th Century mindset where only newspapers matter. Go on “Good Morning America”* and talk about how the US military has arrested Superman. Release a YouTube video on how there is a Guantanamo for aliens. Or just use some of your contacts at the Daily Planet to run the story. Even if only 10% of people believe it, that'll be enough to raise a stink to get people looking into it and politicians will get behind it because (Newsflash!) politicians like to get behind popular causes.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:40 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Bizarro is a classic Superman villain, and one would think that he's protected by plot armor. In fact, I'm not convinced he's dead-dead. 

“In comics, nobody stays dead, except Jason Todd, Bucky and Uncle Ben”. And of those three, two are currently alive! Besides, even if Bizarro is actually dead, they can always pull another version of Bizarro from a different parallel Universe.

* Or whatever morning show is running today.