Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Chinatown

• Start Topic

McCall and Mel work with a jaded ex-cop to find the killers of a beloved Chinese American restaurant owner, who was the victim of a hate crime masked to look like an accidental electrical fire.

WRITTEN BY: Zoe Robyn

DIRECTED BY: Christine Moore

Airdate: March 6, 2022

118268_0022b-1.jpg

GUEST CAST:
Perry Yung    (Ray Lai)
Celia Au   (Chloe San)
Alex Breaux   (Frank Mitchell)
Spenser Granese   (Trevor)
Faron Salisbury   (Eric)
Jo Yang   (Li Wong)
Imani Lewis    (Kisha Griffin)
Henry Yuk   (Eddie Cheung)
Mike Massimino   (Marshall)
Brian Dole   (Liam)
Todd Antonio Biggerstaff  (Employee)
the-equalizer-211-preview1.jpg
the-equalizer-211-preview2.jpg
118268_1712b.jpg

I feel like they either could have taken out one of the other subplots, or tried to tie one of them more into the A-plot. But I did think this was a good episode overall; and I thought they handled the Asian hate crimes subject well. Nice how they managed to tie in some previous subplots with Dante and Robyn. Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing that ex-cop again.

I know some might consider an episode like this "preachy", but some people need to be preached to.

Not as many fashion statements in this episode; but I did like Aunt Vi's grahic shirt, and Harry's coat was interesting.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Is cassoulet really that hard to make?

Strange coincidence that The Rookie also mentioned cassoulet in passing tonight... that it is an advanced French Cuisine dish Bailey was able to master in 3 days...

• Love 2
On 3/5/2022 at 6:33 PM, paigow said:

Why is Dante not on the case? 

Chloe said that the Fire Marshal said it was an accidental fire. Nothing was said if the Medical Examiner saw the bruises we saw on Miss Li. Thus no crime to investigate until McCall brought Detective Dante in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Never thought I’d be streaming tears over an episode of the Equalizer. Teary to begin with, but completely lost it when Mel jumped in the ambulance. Got misty over Robyn being there for the young woman she met in jail, too. 
That said, the whole premise evokes anger. Where do those Jack wagons think they came from? Are they really too ignorant and stupid to realize this? 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Trini said:

some might consider an episode like this "preachy", but some people need to be preached to.

Sadly, those who need the sermon probably weren’t watching. 

• Love 7
(edited)
20 hours ago, janeta said:

Can we send Delilah off to boarding school or something?

I thought Delilah was fine this episode and the last. I liked how she thought to pick up the bread for Vi. That's a sign that she really got what Robyn was saying. I think given Bishop's absence we aren't seeing angsty, PTSD Delilah because he was supposed to be counseling her.

This was a good episode. I liked the scene of Ray and Dante sitting in the car talking about what it was like coming up as cops. Two non-white men of different races and different generations finding common ground. That's the Bechtel test to the nth degree. I think Ray gave Dante some much-needed insight into his dad.

Harry showing up to save Mel using his superpower of being awkward and inconvenient was wonderful.

Edited by marceline
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
46 minutes ago, Daff said:

Sadly, those who need the sermon probably weren’t watching. 

Stories like this aren't only useful in educating the clueless, though. Representation also supports people who are otherwise not seeing themselves or their issues portrayed.

• Love 10

This hit home. The anti-Asian crimes and recent murders of Asian women here in NYC are heart-wrenching. Last week, a man assaulted SEVEN Asian women in a spree that went from downtown to Midtown.

An Asian man who is appearing at a play at the Public Theater was assaulted on his way to work. 

So I'm very glad the episode ended with the Asian community demonstrating and standing up against the violence.

Also, the ex-cop was smart to record everything as he went in as a literal human sacrifice. (New York being a one-party recording state, it would be admissible as evidence). 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm glad that Dante heard someone at last say nice things about his father.

Is cassoulet really that hard to make?

Traditional cassoulet requires a lot of chopping, and takes roughly 16 hours to properly complete.

2 hours ago, marceline said:

I thought Delilah was fine this episode and the last. I liked how she thought to pick up the bread for Vi. That's a sign that she really got what Robyn was saying.

That she brought home the bread was a good sign.

11 hours ago, paigow said:

Strange coincidence that The Rookie also mentioned cassoulet in passing tonight... that it is an advanced French Cuisine dish Bailey was able to master in 3 days...

Well, if she had three full days...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Driad said:

What is Harry's current status?  Why is he allowed to use computers now?  Thanks!

Harry's not allowed to use computers.  However, he's just been set-up back in his old spot because the thought is the government agencies who have him on their radar won't think to look for him that way...for now at least.  It's ridiculous but there it is.

I enjoyed the epi.  I liked that they addressed the AAPI hate and thought they did it in a manner that wasn't too preachy.

I liked Ray and Dante's conversation and that Dante seemed to get another perspective on his dad.

I love cassoulet and while I've never made it, I know enough about the components of it, to know it's not a 30 minute dish to throw together and cook.  I'm glad Delilah (with prompting from her mom) came home to help Aunt Vi and brought the bread.

I loved Mel and Harry especially when Harry showed up to help her out of her predicament and it's always nice to get to know a little more about these characters re: Mel and Ray's talks.

I'm glad that they are working Kisha in to the storyline and not just dropping her as an after thought.

• Love 10

I didn't much care for the Jesse character in last week's episode. Just too flaky for me. But I'd like to see Ray as an auxiliary member of the Equalizer Squad. 

I tune into this show to watch this 50-something woman in the stretchy, elastic-waist pants stare down 5 guns, the camera shakes as she flails her arms and legs and we hear "oomph" sounds, and finally, see her staring at 5 guys on the ground. Missed that last week. Got it back a little this week. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, mojito said:

I didn't much care for the Jesse character in last week's episode. Just too flaky for me. But I'd like to see Ray as an auxiliary member of the Equalizer Squad. 

Yes!!!  I enjoyed this episode - good case of the week, and everybody had something to do.  THIS was The Equalizer that I have grown to look forward to - unlike last week's episode which would have been ok if they had made the Jada Pinkette Smith character more toned down, and yes, less of a flake.  

• Love 5
(edited)

All the talk about the cassoulet makes me think this show needs to offer up some recipes. Last episode was a contest between Dee and Vi's pancakes. I'd also like to know the recipe for Aunt Vi's beignets because I remember mentions of those. Ms. Li's bakery also looked amazing. The show knows how to do food and clothes.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Harry's not allowed to use computers.  However, he's just been set-up back in his old spot because the thought is the government agencies who have him on their radar won't think to look for him that way...for now at least.  It's ridiculous but there it is.

I think Harry's actually operating somewhere below his previous hideout/headquarters. They said it was in some abandoned section of underground tunnels that is somehow undetectable by cops or government. Even so, it is still ridiculous. I can hand-wave it away though.

This episode was good, though I'm sad we saw so little of Ms. Li alive. I just was wondering about her bruises, and the next scene, she's dead! So terrible. I agree that Delilah was less annoying.

• Love 8

I think that the story with Harry's arrest was a big misstep. We had two eps with Harry in existential danger and now it's like that story never happened. I hate stories where a show blows everything up then instantly reassembles the pieces.

• Love 7

I really enjoyed this episode.  Very timely topic about Asian hate (particularly towards women).  I remember the incident last year with the older woman who was beaten outside an apartment building and the security guards closed the door.  Then more recently, the woman who was pushed onto a subway track and the woman who was followed into her apartment and murdered.  Awful.  I'm glad this show chose to spotlight the issue of Asian hate and I'm glad that Liza Lapira played such a huge part in the episode.

I liked the character of Ray and the fact that he was willing to die to bring the killers to justice. I also liked that he mentioned the hate towards Chinese-Americans and that Mel added that there is hate towards her people (Filipino) since many don't know the difference.

So Long Hair and Jerkface both get arrested and charged with murder.  What about the accomplice who "just wanted a pork bun"?  I hope he gets charged with accessory.

Liked that Robyn followed up with Kisha and invited Kisha to dinner.

49 minutes ago, marceline said:

All the talk about the cassoulet makes me think this show needs to offer up some recipes. Last episode was a contest between Dee and Vi's pancakes. I'd like to know the recipe for Aunt Vi's beignets. Ms. Li's bakery also looked amazing. The show knows how to do food and clothes.

The cassoulet looked delicious and now I want some.  I'm sure it's more work than it looks, looks like a simple stew to me.

32 minutes ago, Cress said:

This episode was good, though I'm sad we saw so little of Ms. Li alive. I just was wondering about her bruises, and the next scene, she's dead! So terrible. I agree that Delilah was less annoying.

I wish we saw more of Ms. Li alive as well.  You could tell how beloved she was.  Wish we could have had some flashbacks.

• Love 5

They managed to flesh out her character so much, and make her so interesting in just this episode, it made me wish she had an entire show built around her, not just one episode of some other show that created her to kill her off.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I'm glad Delilah (with prompting from her mom) came home to help Aunt Vi and brought the bread.

I'm glad that they are working Kisha in to the storyline and not just dropping her as an after thought.

Funny, I was thinking "do they have to do family stuff every episode?"

In the original show, we saw McCall's kid once in a while, but generally the episodes would focus 100% on the case. I miss that.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Starchild said:

In the original show, we saw McCall's kid once in a while, but generally the episodes would focus 100% on the case. I miss that.

Yeah, but wasn't Robert McCall's son a grown man? So big difference. (Not that I disagree with the overall sentiment!)

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Starchild said:

College aged, I think? Or just barely post-college?

Not a teenager, no. Which made his few appearances even more palatable lol

image.png.c65f84a879a222830d564fb7b4026c6a.pngJohnny Lawrence!!!!!

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I don't mind the family stuff. I like that Robyn has a life outside of her vigilantism. Plus, Lorraine Toussaint, so .... 👍

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

That might be the case… but in the original, McCall wasn’t a black female single mom either.   I enjoy the family stuff as long as Delilah isn’t too annoying.  I feel like the writers have done a much better job with Dee this season.  She’s more self-aware, and I feel the love deep down coming from her towards both her mom and her great aunt.  She’s not just the spoiled brat.

The family stuff seems less shoehorned in this season.  I really enjoy the scenes with Lorraine Toussaint, and I am serious, I want Aunt Vi to make me that cassoulet.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I prefer to think that like the DA can pretend to see nothing with Robyn doing her vigilante equalizing anymore the government is also allowing her team  to operate with Harry's hacking and Mel's occasional killing.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

unlike last week's episode which would have been ok if they had made the Jada Pinkette Smith character more toned down, and yes, less of a flake.  

I liked Jada's character. Equalizer needs the occasional off the wall case and allies. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

That might be the case… but in the original, McCall wasn’t a black female single mom either.

Oh for sure, and that's fine for those enjoying it. I would never say "the show should be cancelled" just because Queen Latifah isn't an Edward Woodward clone.

It's just that the show is not what I was hoping it would be. 

From my dive into cassoulet recipes like this one, the secret to a good cassoulet is multiple long slow simmerings over several days letting it cool down and then simmering again over the course of a number of days.

The dish takes its name from its cooking vessel, the “cassole,” a wide-mouthed earthenware bowl that traditionally sat upon the hearth simmering constantly for hours or days. According to local legend, cassoulet was invented in the town of Castelnaudary – the self-proclaimed “capital of cassoulet” — during the Hundred Years’ War. Trapped by the English, the villagers pooled their last scraps of meat and beans, cooking everything together in a giant pot. Fueled by the hearty dish, the French soldiers regained their strength and chased the English all the way back to the Channel.

In terms of family characters, I'm sad that we won't see Bishop's son again now that Chris Noth is off.

I'm a little hesitant that they're planning something for Delilah and Keshia together plots.

12 hours ago, Daff said:

Where do those Jack wagons think they came from? Are they really too ignorant and stupid to realize this? 

In case this isn't a rhetorical question, Teri Kanefield (@Teri_Kanefield) on twitter has good explanations of this kind of thinking.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 3/6/2022 at 10:54 PM, paigow said:

Cassoulet isn't technically difficult to make like puff pastry is. It really isn't a huge accomplishment for anyone who cooks at all and knows how to follow a good recipe.

However as has been posted, it is very time consuming to make it correctly as there are a lot of steps. It is the kind of dish that you would make on a Saturday or Sunday when you are home all day. Even though it braises for a long period of time there are various steps that have to be taken so you need to be around.

• Love 4
On 3/7/2022 at 3:58 PM, marceline said:

All the talk about the cassoulet makes me think this show needs to offer up some recipes. Last episode was a contest between Dee and Vi's pancakes. I'd also like to know the recipe for Aunt Vi's beignets because I remember mentions of those. Ms. Li's bakery also looked amazing. The show knows how to do food and clothes.

The Equalizer Cookbook.  Recipes from the show and the cast's personal recipes.  I'd buy it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 3/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, marceline said:

Probably because Queen Latifah and Lorraine Toussaint clearly know their food - and the girl playing Robyn's daughter is also not a size 0. It is tiresome to see wafer thin female celebs pretending to enjoy food 🤣

However I wouldn't be surprised if there were a cookbook as almost all of the television series have cookbooks - even some of the ones that seem inscrutable like a Peaky Blinders cookbook 🤷🏼‍♀️ I like to cook but wouldn't attempt making dim sum especially since the fun of dim sum is going with a group and getting all of the little plates that come around. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 4
On 3/8/2022 at 12:01 AM, statsgirl said:

From my dive into cassoulet recipes like this one, the secret to a good cassoulet is multiple long slow simmerings over several days letting it cool down and then simmering again

This recipe doesn’t have you make your own duck confit, which is a project in itself.  I have never made cassoulet, with or without duck confit. 

• Love 2

I loved all of the show except the very end scenes with the street vigil for Li and the dinnder with Kisha which was interwoven<?> Dunno why, but it all felt de trop(too much) for me.

I think Kisha's being shipped in as a stand-inn replacement for Delilah who can now go off somewhere or die or whatever the tv gods have in their sights for her without destroying Robyn having a girl to bring up.  Maybe tptb have heard people disliking Delilah and decided to go for a different  type who is less naive and entitled.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:40 PM, marceline said:

I think that the story with Harry's arrest was a big misstep. We had two eps with Harry in existential danger and now it's like that story never happened. I hate stories where a show blows everything up then instantly reassembles the pieces.

i wonder if the story would have continued - his battle with Bishops help to get his computer privaleges restored - THE PRESIDENT NEEDS HIS HELP sort of thing. But no bishop, no president "golden card" (i know that was used but still, bishop has some pull) so no way of resolving that story. So just sort of dropped.