Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Just Dunk Me

• Start Topic

I don’t have AMC+ So will have to wait. I also have a lot of trouble navigating that app. It only wants to show me S3E8 which I have already seen. 
I think I also read somewhere that it will also be on BBC America. I’m watching the Season 3 repeats right now to catch up. 
I’ll always be grateful to the friend who told me about this show. It’s clever. 

OK, I'll be the Grinch.  Too darned many commercials.  To me it felt as if it were 35 minutes of commercials, 25 minutes of show. 

And I found it hard to follow because, in some cases, the commercials seemed as if they might fit, but didn't. 

I may rewatch, but it will have to be on the biggest screen we have so I can read the captions. And, for the nth time this decade, fast forward will be my friend.

• Love 7

I read there are the usual eight episodes this season. 

I think this episode was to start the final season with showing what everyone's been up to since the end of season 3, and get the story going.  I'm mean, I did enjoy when Eve shot Villanelle's former colleague, Constantin,  to get information. 

Villanelle is unchanged, but who thought she had really changed?   

I'm guessing Carolyn will push through her demotion, isn't really a turncoat, and come out a winner.   I'll be disappointed if Carolyn doesn't triumph in the end, and I can't believe she turned traitor. 

Eve seems better, and I really like her boyfriend, actually I have the hots for her boyfriend.   I did enjoy this.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I do not understand how Villanelle was allowed back in the house after almost drowning that young woman.  This episode was weirder than most and I'm not sure what to think yet.

The woman from the funeral home is the lead on a show called We Are Lady Parts, which I recommend (for what it's worth, lol).

Edited by aemom
Typo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

I suppose that's true.

We didn't see what happened between those scenes, and I guess that I figured that the priest would have happened upon them and that she would have said something.

The young woman thinks that Villanelle is perfect, but I think that the priest feels that she's a bit sketchy, and would have believed her and thrown her out.

Edited by aemom
Typo
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Too darned many commercials.  To me it felt as if it were 35 minutes of commercials, 25 minutes of show. 

For sure! It seemed like they took an ad break every five minutes.

What a dumb episode. That's not what I expect from this show. 

• Love 7

This was almost painful to watch.   The story was weird, the music way too loud and too intrusive, and way too many commercials (which we know going in, so this show is DVR only in my home).   Yeah, so Eve is getting laid by a hunky guy.  We get it.   Villanelle is still full blown psycho - she might have killed the cat by accident but to try and drown that young woman who was obviously taken with her?  No, Villanelle hasn't changed, but seems to have reverted.  

I really hope the rest of the series is better because watching this is going to be a slog if it isn't.  I can't begin to convey the disappointment as "Killing Eve" had been one of my favorite shows.  

• Love 11

I'm cautiously optimistic but I think Carolyn's comedown is one of the aspects that is hardest for me to watch. For the creative team, including Fiona Shaw, I'm sure it's more interesting to explore than a Carolyn who's always chic and cool and calm and collected. But to see her defected to Russia, selling her soul to Vlad, cut off from her pig's-placenta face cream and even her passport. Heartbreaking! I hope she comes back 10x more powerful ... if that's what she wants. 

Another source of frustration for me is the broadcast schedule - it's going to throw off viewer commentary because there are so many different episode drop-times now. And I know a show in its 4th season, especially one losing steam creatively, doesn't get recapped as much but I can't tell if or when these episodes will ever get recapped anywhere.

• Love 1

Well even when she's trying to become a bit less evil, Villanelle gonna Villanelle. Why that young woman is allowing her in her house after almost drowning her is beyond me. She killed your cat and tried to drown you, its time to tell her to go! Unless she's too scared to kick her out, which is fair. Villanelle is not a person who takes rejection well. 

The start to this season was pretty bumpy. I am actually curious about Villanelle's attempts at being a decent person, its given her way more to do than just kill people in cool outfits. It gives Jodi Comer a lot more interesting material, I love watching her try to understand how normal people work. She stares at them like a puzzle she's trying to solve, she just struggles so much to comprehend normal behavior, I can see why she thinks becoming a Christian will give her an easy to follow guidebook on being "normal". I worry that her seeing Villanelle Jesus is going to get old fast though.

I wish that Eve tracking down the assassin recruiter wasn't connected to the big dumb conspiracy. The idea of Eve and her hunky boyfriend using Eve's long established fascination with female killers to find new ones sounds like a fun idea and gives Eve something to do besides obsess over Villanelle, but its tied into the boring convoluted conspiracy, which is just confusing and dull. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I'm cautiously optimistic but I think Carolyn's comedown is one of the aspects that is hardest for me to watch. For the creative team, including Fiona Shaw, I'm sure it's more interesting to explore than a Carolyn who's always chic and cool and calm and collected. But to see her defected to Russia, selling her soul to Vlad, cut off from her pig's-placenta face cream and even her passport. Heartbreaking! I hope she comes back 10x more powerful ... if that's what she wants. 

Carolyn defected to Russia???  How and when did that happen?   And I thought she was in Spain when that young twerp came in to see her.  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Carolyn defected to Russia???  How and when did that happen?   And I thought she was in Spain when that young twerp came in to see her.  

It was very breezed-through, the defection part. She was in Mallorca, yes, but then from Vlad on she's in Russia (he greets her with 'hello, traitor') I don't think I would have picked up on the actual defection part (voiced by Vlad) if I hadn't turned on my captions, tho her needing a new passport was another clue, I guess. 

• Useful 7

Well, one thing I can say for the showrunners is that they aren't pandering to new viewers.  If you didn't know what all this was about, you really didn't know what all this is about. 

I watched on AMC+, and the mini-clips tucked into the commercial breaks were really confusing.  I couldn't tell if they were part of the show, previews, or what.  I agree with all the comments above re: too many commercial breaks.  It really killed the flow of the show.

OK, so mortuary chick is supposed to be a potential assassin?  Then why is Eve still alive?  She should have been able to kill her in the underpass, and would have done so, too, if she's an assassin in training. 

I like that Eve finally has her shit together, is doing her own thing, and has a hot guy instead of that mess of a husband.  Where she gets the money for the fab hotel/apartment, the motorcycle, leathers, etc., is a mystery to me.   I'm not a fan of hallucinatory crazy Villanelle.  I like standard crazy V just fine as she was. 

I have no idea what to think about Carolyn.  At this point she could be a double quadruple to the power of nth agent.  I never knew which side she was playing, still don't, and don't buy anything they're trying to sell about her being a traitor.  Because once I buy into that they'll show that MI6 purposely dumped her out to make her believably pissed at the agency and ripe for turning, but hey!  It's a ruse and she's really still working for MI6.  (No spoilers here, just random speculation based on umpteen plots from other shows.)

Constantin was the best part of the episode.  That, and Sandra Oh's endless WTF expression during the whole exchange with V over/around the fish tank. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Wow...I must be one of the few on here who enjoyed this episode. Then again, I've enjoyed all 3 previous seasons of this show, so I'll just chill here at my table of one...

I enjoyed it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Variety produced this summary

On 2/28/2022 at 2:09 PM, BingeyKohan said:

recapped

So far I've seen brief summaries at the Chicago Tribune, and at the Daily Mail. I would guess that the usual distribution of first four episodes of the season happened (without commercials)

I've saved the LATimes for a lunch break (and to see the movie PR for the latest awards)

Edited by enoughcats
(edited)

I thought it was hilarious—though it ended up being overkill—how they kept getting shots of Villanelle against backgrounds that made it look like she had a halo or angel wings. That poor cat (knew it was a goner from first time it hissed at Villanelle) was an excellent judge of character.

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

Well that was...something. 

Is Villanelle trying to prove she's good for Eve, while Eve is trying to be Villanelle. 

Don't really care for Villanelle hallucinating herself as Jesus. But i do like that are not trying to change her. She can't change who she is because she doesn't feel emotions the way normal people do. Shes not even good at pretending for very long. The priest recognized right a way that she's not interested in having faith. She just wants to be seen as good. 

I guess Eve found a boyfriend who likes her crazy, although she really should be dead after following the morgue assassin. I'm not sure why she let her live. 

I wonder who is finding the 12 and torturing them. 

• Love 2
On 2/27/2022 at 9:12 PM, enoughcats said:

I may rewatch, but it will have to be on the biggest screen we have so I can read the captions. And, for the nth time this decade, fast forward will be my friend.

I just realized today that the season started; watching OnDemand (BBC America). I rewound three times within ten minutes before I finally turned on the captions. Between the sound levels and practically every character having a different accent, I miss half the words they say. Thank god for Vulture recaps.

• Love 3

How long have we been waiting for this show to return? I can’t remember if it’s been one year or two? 

I was so looking forward to the show coming back, and I was afraid that with Covid affecting filming, we might not have a fourth season.

But—- I was SO disappointed. The first season of KE was one of my favorite series ever. The second and third had some good episodes, but to me did not measure up to the first.

This, though, was awful, in my opinion. I liked when Eve shot Konstantin, as he’s my favorite character and I enjoy when he’s on screen. Other than that, I really didn’t like it at all. If this were the first episode ever I would cross it off my list. I found it hard to follow even though I’ve seen every season, and I can’t explain why but it was creepy in a dismal way and not a fun way. 

• Love 10

What's with the change in Eve? The last we saw Eve and Villanelle, they were making goo-goo eyes at each other on that bridge. Now Eve is angrily slapping Vill like ... like this bitch killed her best friend, ruined her marriage, and shot her, leaving her for dead!

No. Scratch that. After all of that, Eve should have tried to assassinate her ass.

I really want to love this show again, but they're making it hard.

• Love 7

It’s hard enough remembering what happened in the last season when there’s been a break of almost two years. But then to start off with this muddled mess is frustrating to say the least. I don’t care that V is pretending to find Jesus to prove to Eve that she’s changed. If it’s been the same two years since they last saw each other, apparently Eve doesn’t care either. It’s obvious that the gang will eventually band together to take down the Twelve, so just get to it already and enough with this confusing horseshit. 

• Love 6
On 2/28/2022 at 3:44 PM, Hiyo said:

Wow...I must be one of the few on here who enjoyed this episode. Then again, I've enjoyed all 3 previous seasons of this show, so I'll just chill here at my table of one...

I'll sit with you. 

While I did have some quibbles with it, I was just so damn happy to have these ladies back in my life.

I do hope that at some point we get some exposition on what happened in the ensuing months/years? following the end of season 3. Eve and Villanelle went from being sort of "okay" with each other on the bridge to Eve seemingly hating her guts. What's that all about? 

I thought Villanelle expecting Eve to come to her baptism and her disappointment when she didn't to be a nice callback to the Amsterdam pig murder in season 2. And of course, Hugo's appearance. But I don't recall Hugo being such a "rah-rah" MI6 defender. He always struck me as a posh git who was just biding his time until something more interesting came along. I'd be fine if we don't see him again. 

I love sassy Eve but of course, Eve being Eve I fully expect her to trip over her own feet a few times before she, Carolyn and Villanelle eventually join forces. 

I'm intrigued. 

• Love 1

I think Hugo gets more joy about Carolyn's back water posting, and loss of her position, than anything else.    I did like the episode, but I have to keep reminding myself that the cat incident was simulated.     I think Eve knows what Villanelle really is, and cooperating with her for a while lulled her into a sense that Villanelle might have changed sides.    I'm glad we don't have Niko around any longer. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Jodie Comer has a nice singing voice.

I think Eve's new partner Yusuf looks like Russell Wilson, minus 30 lbs. and 10 years, plus 6 inches. 😼

Okay, I could've done without the cat brains in the bathtub moment.

Trying to murder someone in a church, in a baptismal font, in front of an image of Christ. WTAF?

So Villanelle is 110% insane. Okay. The more things change the more they stay the same.

This was a rough restart.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

Yeah, I'm out after this first episode. You kill an animal and I'm done. I'm now pissed off at myself for spending three seasons hoping we'd get something that made sense. 

Cast is fantastic, but I'm done with it.

• Applause 1

Been binging all seasons. This ep was weird. Different tone, characters acting different. Really don’t like imaginary Jesus, not because religion but it’s just silly.