Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: We're Not a Joke

• Start Topic

I gotta say, I'm with Tina on this one.  I am by no means uptight about sex or normal sex talk, jokes, etc., but I think Vanessa takes it to such a extreme, I cringe at home just watching it.  Less horrified about her running around "nekkked" (although I understand Tina thinking it reflected poorly on all of them) and more horrified by her over the top vulgar talk.  These ladies all have a temper but Vanessa goes from 1-100 pretty quickly.  

Edited by nr65000
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, nr65000 said:

I gotta say, I'm with Tina on this one.  I am by no means uptight about sex or normal sex talk, jokes, etc., but I think Vanessa takes it to such a extreme, I cringe at home just watching it.  Less horrified about her running around "nekkked" (although I understand Tina thinking it reflected poorly on all of them) and more horrified by her over the top vulgar talk.  These ladies all have a temper but Vanessa goes from 1-100 pretty quickly.  

I think Vanessa went from 1-100 very quickly and her reaction wasn’t warranted. I understand where Tina was coming from, Vanessa can be far too vulgar for my tastes- but I think as fat women we are either hyper sexualized (fat women are easy because we are desperate for male attention) or de-sexed  (fat women are ugly and undesirable so they are not beings with sexual needs).

I think Vanessa has reacted to the social stigma of being de-sexed by being super vulgar. I think Tina is just a more conservative person and is put off by that talk. The naked streak- given that they were being filmed, I would be surprised too. It seemed kind of immature if everyone wasn’t on the same page- to spring your nudity on them. It’s one thing to do that in a family/friend group where you know everyone is okay with it, it’s another to spring it on someone. 

It’s clear to me these women don’t know each other well. I can believe that Vanessa and Megan were maybe acquaintances, but I think Tina & Ashley were women who lived in the area they put in the friend group for the show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

Why all the stupid gimmicks like flopping around on giant bungee cords?  How about just taking some walks in the park?  Oh I forgot, it's a TV show. 

Nice that Meghan, the chick squatting in her friend's (friend with hubby & 4 kids) basement with her slacker BF, thinks her morbidly obese friend should up & move out of the house she shares with her 2 kids & her sister.  (But something's up with that sister).  

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Why do they always do the outlier foods?  Just bring some pepper strips. Maybe a granola bar? A plain piece of fruit? Jeez. I was vegan for 8 years and I don't want any dang kale chips.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Was Vanessa's streaking disgusting?   Yep     But you can't control what other people do.  But you CAN control your own eyes and body, to walk away and don't look at her streaking..    don't look!!! It's easy!   I forgot her name,  but the chick that was complaining, bugged me.   I get what she's saying,  but.....just walk away.  If she is so worried about how it makes fat people look bad,  maybe she should leave the group.   Don't get me wrong,  Vanessa's vulgar speaking, dressing and actions  are cringey,  I've known people like that.   I just keep my thoughts to myself.

• Love 5

I’ve known people like Vanessa before.  They have this idea that acting out that way, saying raunchy things, shocking others, etc. somehow makes them popular or recognized for being funny, clever, daring, etc.   The more others gawk and looked shocked, the more successful they feel.  So, in a way just ignoring them is a better approach.  I still think they keep trying though.  😂

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

I don't think Vanessa's behavior makes anyone look bad but herself.

It's not a nudity thing (tho it might be, in this case), it's that this isn't that type of resort. Act appropriately for your environment. If they were at a place where nudity was acceptable, and they wanted to do a whole 'I'm fat, I'm proud, I'm nekkid' thing, fine. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

When you sign up with TLC……you pretty much risk losing your dignity.  I wouldn’t be surprised if producers put Vanessa up to the streaking   And then told the other girl to get upset. I think most of what we see is on realty tv is directed, encouraged, set up, etc.  I did laugh when Vanessa was recounting all the things people attack her over…..personal hygiene!!!  Glad no one told her she was smelly. 🥴

• Love 2

If a person talks about sex all of the time, 9 times out of 10 they aren't getting any.  Just sayin.  And the whole streaking thing?  If it let's her show that she feels good in her own skin then let her have at it.  She just needs to be aware that her kids will have to face other kids that possibly saw their mom naked.  The ribbing will probably be pretty bad for them.  I hope it doesn't happen, but she needs to think of them first before doing stunts like that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, swankie said:

If a person talks about sex all of the time, 9 times out of 10 they aren't getting any.

A reference to Golden Girls when Rose said that in front of Blanche.

• Love 6

Vanessa really wasn’t naked, imo, because her fat operates as a skirt to cover her crotch. Her breast are too long to be viewed. It looks like they disappear  into fat around her apron area.  So, it’s just her butt that shows.  Sad, but not a classic nude situation, imo.  

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, nr65000 said:

I get Tina being uncomfortable with Vanessa being so crude.  It gets old.  Then again, it's pretty complex with neither being right nor wrong.  If Vanessa was truly seeing this all as a "rebirth", then let her have that symbolic moment and look at it that way.  I don't think Vanessa did it to piss off Tina so much as she  doesn't seem to have any impulse control.  She didn't think beyond the moment.

Tina of course has a right to her more conservative beliefs and they all know how she feels. 

I agree with @Scarlett45 in that other than Meghan and Vanessa who definitely are BFFs, the other two seem like convenient additions.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Vanessa really wasn’t naked, imo, because her fat operates as a skirt to cover her crotch. Her breast are too long to be viewed. It looks like they disappear  into fat around her apron area.  So, it’s just her butt that shows.  Sad, but not a classic nude situation, imo.  

Vanessa was still naked, to me, if one isn’t wearing clothes, one is nude, even if you use your arms/ stomach apron etc to cover up your crotch or areola.  Most women’s vulva isn’t visible if they run around without undergarments.

Vanessa’s breasts were certainly on view, I don’t quite follow how they disappeared into her apron- do you mean that her areolas  likely pointed downward?

14 hours ago, swankie said:

If a person talks about sex all of the time, 9 times out of 10 they aren't getting any.  Just sayin.  And the whole streaking thing?  If it let's her show that she feels good in her own skin then let her have at it.  She just needs to be aware that her kids will have to face other kids that possibly saw their mom naked.  The ribbing will probably be pretty bad for them.  I hope it doesn't happen, but she needs to think of them first before doing stunts like that.

Vanessa admitted she wasn’t getting any these days. Which is fine, that doesn’t make her any less of a sexual person, but I think she needs to think of her audience before she says and does things. I don’t think Vanessa thinks of anyone else but herself and her own comfort. 

Edited to add- I thought the bungee exercise looked fun! I would do something like that!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Vanessa went from 1-100 very quickly and her reaction wasn’t warranted. I understand where Tina was coming from, Vanessa can be far too vulgar for my tastes- but I think as fat women we are either hyper sexualized (fat women are easy because we are desperate for male attention) or de-sexed  (fat women are ugly and undesirable so they are not beings with sexual needs).

I think Vanessa has reacted to the social stigma of being de-sexed by being super vulgar. I think Tina is just a more conservative person and is put off by that talk. The naked streak- given that they were being filmed, I would be surprised too. It seemed kind of immature if everyone wasn’t on the same page- to spring your nudity on them. It’s one thing to do that in a family/friend group where you know everyone is okay with it, it’s another to spring it on someone. 

It’s clear to me these women don’t know each other well. I can believe that Vanessa and Megan were maybe acquaintances, but I think Tina & Ashley were women who lived in the area they put in the friend group for the show. 

I so totally agree. They just don't have that BFF vibe. I am wondering if Vanessa is designed to be the "Tammy" of the show.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, lilysmom said:

I so totally agree. They just don't have that BFF vibe. I am wondering if Vanessa is designed to be the "Tammy" of the show.

Yes I agree with that. Vanessa seems more “together” than Tammy- perhaps because she has raised children and was married for a long time* she has a tiny bit more perspective and empathy and isn’t a big ass whinny baby!

*of course I’m not saying someone has to be married or a parent to be mature- I am neither, but I do think Tammy has been infantilized by her family due to her weight and the fact that it caused her to be disabled, where as Vanessa seems to have lived as an adult peer even with her sister for a while. 

• Love 3

I agree that this group doesn't seem like they're close friends or would hang out together without the show.      Out of all the women Ashley seems the most together and less trainwrecky.   I hope she can succeed at losing weight.     I don't think Tina's all that comfortable being on this show.  I do agree that she should try loosing weight on her own without surgery.  A few sessions with a dietician and some determination and I bet she could loose a decent amount of weight.  Hopefully she takes advantage of what she can from this experience.

Meghan and Vanessa who we see the most of aren't that entertaining.  I don't doubt the producers egged Vanessa on to streak, we know they like to control the narrative. The way she was yelling and screaming at Tina was triggering and not something I want to see more of.  I'm not sure I want to see them shopping for sex toys next week either.

• Love 5

I don't think Meghan and Vanessa even knew Ashley before this show was set up.  I'm staring to think Meghan doesn't really live in Tina's basement and it's just for the show.  

I like Ashley a lot after this episode, and I hope she can lose weight again with the next surgery.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, MsVixen said:

I get what Tina is upset about.  These nude shots of Vanessa will be seen by the world and Tina doesn't want to be associated with that.  

Plus, Vanessa has a teen son. I bet he's told people they're going to be on a TV show. And there's his mom acting like an idiot. 

I'm an old hippie. I can imagine a lot of families where nudity, and public nudity, are more acceptable and the kids have been around it for years. On the maternal side, my late husband's people are Finnish Americans. The whole family uses the sauna together. Still, you can't tell me that any young adult wants his mother paraded around on international media like that. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, suev3333 said:

Was Vanessa's streaking disgusting?   Yep     But you can't control what other people do. 

I was mostly embarrassed for her. I've done my share of nude beaches and skinny-dipping - but forty years ago when I was in my twenties and weighed 350 pounds less than Vanessa. 

Vanessa's problem is she has absolutely no filter, almost no impulse control and I suspect a poor education. 

Edited by Kenzie
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, readheaded said:

Is it just me, or does that look like a different place than where she lived on “Too Large?”

When she was on Too Large, I think she lived on the first floor, not the basement, so I think you're right about it being a different house.   Of course, I think Too Large was filmed quite a while ago, so I'm guessing she moved after.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

I agree that this group doesn't seem like they're close friends or would hang out together without the show.      Out of all the women Ashley seems the most together and less trainwrecky.   I hope she can succeed at losing weight.     I don't think Tina's all that comfortable being on this show.  I do agree that she should try loosing weight on her own without surgery.  A few sessions with a dietician and some determination and I bet she could loose a decent amount of weight.  Hopefully she takes advantage of what she can from this experience.

Meghan and Vanessa who we see the most of aren't that entertaining.  I don't doubt the producers egged Vanessa on to streak, we know they like to control the narrative. The way she was yelling and screaming at Tina was triggering and not something I want to see more of.  I'm not sure I want to see them shopping for sex toys next week either.

Really?  I think Vanessa is the most entertaining in the bunch.  Maybe not in a good way, but hey....train wrecks, cringe, and all ....I'm not watching this to see boring, normal people 😂

Edited by suev3333
Added to it
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/22/2022 at 12:52 PM, mmecorday said:

You have to be on "My 600 Pound Life" to participate in this activity.

MME: You are very witty and it makes me laugh even more when I HEAR your answer in David Rose's voice and mannerisms!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/21/2022 at 10:26 PM, aliya said:

Second, does anyone know whether WLS will be covered again if you already had it once? 

I wondered if this was how Ashely ended up on the show. She doesn’t seem close with any of the other three, and her first WLS wasn’t even ten years ago. Her insurance easily could have told her to kick rocks if she asked them to pay for a second surgery, and the TLC discount might be her best financial option.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Did anyone else notice there is a Krispy Kreme right next to Beltway Bariatric?

So Ashley was 365 six months prior and knew she had gained weight since but went on the water slide even though the employee said it had a 350 weight limit.   I guess the employee just eyeballs people and she either didn’t volunteer her true weight or outright lied when asked.  So no concern for her own safety or the structural integrity of a slide that kids use.  Nice.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Did anyone else notice there is a Krispy Kreme right next to Beltway Bariatric?

So Ashley was 365 six months prior and knew she had gained weight since but went on the water slide even though the employee said it had a 350 weight limit.   I guess the employee just eyeballs people and she either didn’t volunteer her true weight or outright lied when asked.  So no concern for her own safety or the structural integrity of a slide that kids use.  Nice.

I thought the max for the slide was 375?

But yes- I agree. 

• Love 1

Let me say upfront, I am no delicate flower.  I cuss like a sailor and I fronted rock and blues bands in which I was the only female.  I heard a lot and I saw a lot.  My band mates treated me like one of the guys and freely commented as they would were I not around (and I was fine with that).  So I am not easily offended. 

I find Vannessa crude, vulgar, inappropriate in speech and behavior and offensive.  Her comment about the taste of the kale chips was worse than anything I ever heard from a drugged up male musician commenting on a groupie.

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Around 1:40 they say 350.  If she were 351 or 352 I might give her a pass.   

Thank you. Yes likely the max weight is not truly the max, they probably build in a 10% grace because they know people lie or are unaware of their weight. But the weight limit is to protect the PARTICIPANT.

On water slides, gravity and mass effects the proper length of the exit way. I have been fat my entire life (but I have never had to worry about weight limits, i have fluxated between over weight-obese class 2 as an adult), and trust- I had to chuckle when I went down a water slide at a hotel pool. I saw all the kids doing it and having fun, and checked the height/weight limits (there were none), when my ass SPLASHED in that pool, I thought "gravity and mass"- the kids were splashing lightly, but being much heavier I made a much bigger splash.

I would hate to think what would've happened if any of the ladies had gone down the slide, and there was not enough runway and they hurt themselves or someone else. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would hate to think what would've happened if any of the ladies had gone down the slide, and there was not enough runway and th

I can answer my own question, it’s production driven.
But my question is, why not go to water aerobics. They could exercise and I don’t believe the weight of any of them would’ve been a factor. And, it’s good on the joints. What does going to a waterpark and sliding down a slide and potentially hurting yourself and others help you to get exercise?

Edited by Kid
  • Love 4

I'm sure production pushed for the let's take four obese women to a water park so we can get photos of people gawking. Of course, people gawk much more when you have a camera crew in tow. For them, climbing to the top of the stairs was a challenge.  I would bet there is information available about the weight limit for the slides.  It protects the park. 

I am sure there is some leeway to the 350 limit because many people do not know or are not willing to admit their actual weight.  I rode mules in Yosemite.  I was honest about my weight and they forced me to be weighed in front of everyone and gave me the biggest mule.  I was still 30 lbs. under their weight limit even with my heavy boots and jeans on. There was a man who was clearly much bigger than I was who put down that he weighed 160.  He likely did in highschool but now he was easily 200 lbs plus. Since he lied, he didn't get weighed. 

When she climbed down from the slide, the amount of her stomach (pannus) showing below the bathing suit skirt was disturbing.  I do my damnedest not to stare at people, and I would find it hard not to stare at least a bit. Also, camera crew, women having a meltdown, . . . .

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I'm sure production pushed for the let's take four obese women to a water park so we can get photos of people gawking. Of course, people gawk much more when you have a camera crew in tow. For them, climbing to the top of the stairs was a challenge.  I would bet there is information available about the weight limit for the slides.  It protects the park. 

I am sure there is some leeway to the 350 limit because many people do not know or are not willing to admit their actual weight.  I rode mules in Yosemite.  I was honest about my weight and they forced me to be weighed in front of everyone and gave me the biggest mule.  I was still 30 lbs. under their weight limit even with my heavy boots and jeans on. There was a man who was clearly much bigger than I was who put down that he weighed 160.  He likely did in highschool but now he was easily 200 lbs plus. Since he lied, he didn't get weighed. 

When she climbed down from the slide, the amount of her stomach (pannus) showing below the bathing suit skirt was disturbing.  I do my damnedest not to stare at people, and I would find it hard not to stare at least a bit. Also, camera crew, women having a meltdown, . . . .

Some activities have surprisingly low weight limits.  I think both skydiving and riding burros down the Grand Canyon are at 250, which at one time would have excluded me. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

When she climbed down from the slide, the amount of her stomach (pannus) showing below the bathing suit skirt was disturbing.  I do my damnedest not to stare at people, and I would find it hard not to stare at least a bit. Also, camera crew, women having a meltdown,

I am a conservative dresser by personal preference (no matter what my weight is- also I’m always damn cold), while I am so happy there are more plus size swim wear options available now (I didn’t wear a two piece until I was in my 20s because they just didn’t make them in my size growing up- so much easier to go to the bathroom!!!!), wear the proper size. 

There’s no reason you should be spilling/hanging out of anything in public. Ashley looked as if her suit fit. How is that comfortable?

• Useful 1
On 2/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

They all seem to hate the outdoors, why choose camping as an activity ?

How did I miss that Megan lives in a friends basement?

Don't feel alone Sainte-Chapelle!  I had no idea either.  How did we miss that?  I must have been in the kitchen getting more wine!

Edited by goofygirl
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, goofygirl said:

Don't feel alone Sainte-Chapelle!  I had no idea either.  How did we miss that?  I must have been in the kitchen getting more wine!

I think that was only in the beginning of the first episode.   On Too Large she had her own house so you would think with the TLC money she could have kept that or even upgraded.  Maybe there was a long time between shows and it was iffy whether the spinoff would occur.  I imagine none of them work at their sizes.

• Love 1

The tent look awesome, but lake access wasn't super good. And bad weather will put a damper on most camping adventures.  Vannessa is Tammy 2.0 in some aways- the sexual innuendo and the clothing choices, but where Tammy shuts down, Vannessa explodes. Sad for her kids, she may be a lost cause, but her son isn't. 

Just now, BAForever said:

The tent looked awesome, but lake access wasn't super good. And bad weather will put a damper on most camping adventures.  Vannessa is Tammy 2.0 in some aways- the sexual innuendo and the clothing choices, but where Tammy shuts down, Vannessa explodes. Sad for her kids, she may be a lost cause, but her son isn't. 

• Love 1

A few weeks ago as they showed Meghan getting out of bed  (BF Jon was still in the bed) she brought up how they were living in Tina's basement due to finances not allowing them to have their own place.  

I'm amazed how ladies "of a certain size" are brave enough to wear 2 piece bathing suits. Flattering fit doesn't seem to have a dang thing to do with it. Not really judging, just amazed.

They introduced Meghan & Vanessa as being best friends since they were kids & made connections with the others.  As far as Vanessa being the Tammy of this show, I think for all her many many faults, Tammy is a Mensa member compared to Vanessa. And whew I think Vanessa's got Tammy beat as far as scary-ass rage goes too. 

So from the preview, it looks like Meghan has convinced Vanessa to move out of the house she shares with her sister. Can't wait to find out where! And if she leaves her 2 kids behind. After the dust-up with Tina last week, I have a feeling she isn't bunking in that boardinghouse. In fact she's not houseguest material, period. It's just all manufactured drama anyway. 

• Love 3