Type keyword(s) to search

Judge Judy in the Media

• Start Topic

I am so mad t JJ I'm gonna burst.  She was on Wendy Williams last week and I just watched it last night.  She was talking about being married to Jerry and how they both stay in shape and how, if they didn't it would be understandable one might stray {I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist}. REALLY JUDY??  What happens when babies happen and ones body gets stretched out of shape? Not every one makes a bazillion dollars  year and can afford {obvious} cosmetic surgery.  Illness happens.  life happens.  Shit happens.  Honestly, I was so disgusted I am starting to think I don't want to watch her smugness anymore.

With respect One More Time, why would you expect advice and guidance on any family or moral matter from a twice-divorced, reality television star? As far as I can tell, she is there to entertain, not to assist or educate.

For that matter, has she ever used her show to do more than amuse, baffle and irritate? Say to provide information on legal aid clinics or information centres in local communities where the series is aired to assist those with limited knowledge of the legal system? I am not referring to the collection of  scam artists and lowlifes we usually see on the show. But to help viewers who might  benefit from a basic understanding of courts and the law. Perhaps a list of local resources could be occasionally flashed on with the credits. Or maybe we could be spared a few moments of her daily tribute to NYC .

Edited by dustylil

http://www.judgejudy.com

https://www.facebook.com/JudgeJudy

http://www.whatwouldjudysay.com <--- Apparently this has been around for a while, but I only recently found it. Posting for other slow people. :-)

And JJ has a free e-book available.

In this book I want to have an honest conversation with women about what it really takes to get what you deserve out of life: how to define your worth and stick to it; how to find the courage to take risks–and how to build your backup plan; yow to ignore the chattering classes (and the fearmongers) and create your own destiny.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Okay, here is something I did not realize but, hey, it's on the Net...

Article said Judge Judy was NOT real. I am having a problem with that as I have a good friend who was on there with her teen daughter. (BTW, Judge Judy actually liked my friend). Anyway, how can that be? My friend is not an actor and neither is her daughter.

Here is the link: http://www.shebudgets.com/lifestyle/entertainment/20-reality-tv-shows-completely-fake/59693

• Love 1
It’s been said that the people who are on the show (and we can admit that sometimes their issues are a little….stupid) are being paid to pretend to have these problems so that they can make good television.

Been said by whom, I wonder? Hearsay! If any of the freakshows we've seen are actors, they should be winning Emmys every year.

• Love 2

Well, that was a silly waste of time. I only clicked through about 8 of those before I couldn't take it seriously at all. With sources like "some people say" and "it's been speculated", admitting that only a small aspect is fake, pointing things that are obvious or common knowledge, and including shows that are not reality shows. Call me when there's an actual exposé with some journalistic integrity. That's just clickbait.

• Love 5

Call me when there's an actual exposé with some journalistic integrity.

Yes, that article has about as much journalistic integrity as the crap spewed by Harvey "I'm a Sleezebag Shyster" Levin on his TMZ garbage.

ethalfrida - no worries! There is one court show I did watch once ( I believe it may have been Divorce Court but don't quote me) where the litigants are obviously actors, and really bad actors at that, so it does happen.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1

AngelaHunter - I also think Divorce Court uses actors as litigants, I know that Judge Ross had an end card the stated the cases were reenactments (with pretty bad actors).  The "article" didn't mention one of the biggest fake reality shows, Mystery Diners!!  That show is so fake it is actually funny.

• Love 4

Been said by whom, I wonder? Hearsay! If any of the freakshows we've seen are actors, they should be winning Emmys every year.

IMHO, maybe it's the chicken and egg theory. I imagine some of the folks on JJ think they are going to get "discovered" on her show (i.e. Chris "Leave Britney Alone" Crocker or Antoine "Hide ya wife, Hide ya kids" Dodson - there are a million of those internet/ TV new show 15-min-of-famers). Or maybe some are aspiring actors trying to get "seen". But I'm in agreement with Angela Hunter - some of these characters cannot even be made up by the best writers. 

• Love 2

I just read that Judge Judy's Naples, FL condo is for sale. She has bought a home in the same community for $8 million. Her condo is going for $11 million, so this might be the listing (warning: get ready for a lot of floral) http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8477-Bay-Colony-Dr-PH-16-Naples-FL-34108/55816627_zpid/

There is a sign in the exercise room "Fairy tales do come true," and all the floral. Doesn't seem like JJ to me but who knows!

• Love 1

From that article:

“I have to ask them if they have teeth,” Houston has said. Most of the litigants, she explains, don’t have a full set of teeth, so the show buys them a pair for their appearance—or paints their teeth if they’re rotten and discolored from drug use. They might also take them to a hairdresser or barber, and they provide clothes that look nice but not too nice.

“If you saw what America actually looks like, you’d be horrified,” Houston says. “You wouldn’t turn on the TV.”

Totally disagreeing with that last sentence. I would ABSOLUTELY turn the TV on for that. In fact, I'm disappointed to learn about the tooth buying.

Edited by Guest

Well, this was how the question was written:

Which of the following people serves on the U.S. Supreme Court?
a. Elena Kagan
b. Lawrence Warren Pierce
c. John Kerry
d. Judith Sheindlin
e. Refused

I can see how some of the 9.6% might not know Judge Judy's  real name; or some could also be screwing with the test.  ::shrug::

• Love 1

Ack!  Just flipped the channel over to the Ellen Show it time to see a clip of our favorite judge slipping off her robe (mid-case!) to reveal a sexy little black number, shaking a martini, and holding  a looooong cigarette holder!  Didn't see the set up, but it was hysterical! 

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 2

So she admits she met him and he received profits from her show. According to her logic regarding loans, and applying her theory that making a payment confirms that your owe the loan and it isn't a gift, I rule that she owes him money. 

• Love 3

Saw her on Colbert.  Stephen asked her about how she could tell when people were lying.  She started to explain and then he asked her about Trump -- if Trump believes what he says.  Judy was quite circumspect, saying that she thought he believed what he said as he was saying it.  She started to go into more detail and the subject was changed.

Colbert asked her what she'd do if she was Queen Judy but the conversation went elsewhere -- I really wanted to hear what she'd do as Queen. 

• Love 1

I thought Judy looked great on Colbert and wasn't surprised when she declined, in cautious terms, to endorse either candidate. That said, OMG how I used to live for the Colbert Report every night. And while Stephen is a super awesome human being who is uncannily smart, he is a lousy late-night host. After having watched that interview which, at times, seemed stilted and he seemed to it know where to direct the next question, I realized I made a good choice to stop watching his show after the second week. Get it together, man! 

TV drama based off of JJ life:

The famed television judge is developing “Her Honor,” a drama series at CBS, which is inspired by her own life, Variety has learned exclusively.

“Law & Order” vet and “Chicago Justice” showrunner Michael Chernuchin is penning the pilot, alongside Sheindlin who is billed as story co-writer.

“Her Honor” will follow the youngest judge in New York, who cuts through the chaos in Family Court, but can’t seem to maintain control of her own life outside the courtroom.

Though the scripted arena is new territory for her, Sheindlin is certainly no stranger to TV. She is currently the most profitable star on television, thanks to her long-running court TV series “Judge Judy,” which debuted in 1996 and is renewed through 2020.

See, here's the thing; I like this idea for a TV show, but what I don't like is that they are more than likely going to cast some 20-something in the starring role. Now, I'm sure that JJ was once a feisty young woman, but she's famous for being a feisty old broad (not an insult!), and I'd rather she a casting/portrayal that honors that.

• Love 1

JJ to be a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers, tonight 10/4/16.

JJ highest paid TV star:

Judith Sheindlin earns a whopping $47 million annually for presiding over the hit CBS-distributed syndicated court show, now in its 21st season.

“Judge Judy” averages 10.3 million viewers a week, making it the most-watched national program in daytime TV. The show brings in an estimated $160 million-$170 million in revenue a year, including license fees from 200-plus stations around the country and CBS’ barter advertising revenue.

Production costs are minimal, which is one reason Sheindlin can command such a huge payday. Her long-serving bailiff, Petri Hawkins-Byrd, is said to pull in more than $1 million a year for his work on the show, which typically shoots 260-odd episodes over the course of about 52 days each year.

Petri Hawkins-Byrd, is said to pull in more than $1 million a year for his work on the show

I'm shocked that's all he earns. I mean, yeah, it's a lot of money, but given JJ makes $47 million, I think they should up the ante a little bit for Byrd.

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

I'm shocked that's all he earns. I mean, yeah, it's a lot of money, but given JJ makes $47 million, I think they should up the ante a little bit for Byrd.

Well, he didn't go to ____ years of post-graduate education to work crossword puzzles.  So he probably figures a million a year isn't too bad.

• Love 4

Well, he didn't go to ____ years of post-graduate education

Well I had about six years of postgraduate education in STEM and never got to the million dollar mark, I peaked at just barely in the 6 figure bracket, but I had a lot of fun, a lot of international travel, and a lot of work with things that go bang.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 2:37 PM, Trini said:

I'm sure that JJ was once a feisty young woman, but she's famous for being a feisty old broad (not an insult!), and I'd rather she a casting/portrayal that honors that.

I think it would difficult to cast an older women as a "feisty young woman"... which is probably when all the drama occurred in JJ's life.