Type keyword(s) to search

Judge Judy in the Media

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, TresGatos said:

I heard the other day that the new show will only be available through the IMDB streaming service. I didn't even know the IMDB even had a streaming service.

I just saw that it did today.  Apparently it's the latest craze.  But if you subscribed to them all at $10 a month you may as well keep satellite.  Saw where Netflix went up again but I watch Netflix.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2020 at 7:01 PM, parrotfeathers said:
On 11/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, TresGatos said:

I heard the other day that the new show will only be available through the IMDB streaming service. I didn't even know the IMDB even had a streaming service.

I just saw that it did today.  Apparently it's the latest craze.  But if you subscribed to them all at $10 a month you may as well keep satellite.  Saw where Netflix went up again but I watch Netflix.

IMDb streaming is available on Amazon as they own the service (and website). It's free

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just brought up my program guide to see if TPC is another rerun or new (rerun) and noticed JJ is now appearing on a second local channel....... only downside is that, at least going by the program guide, it's the same episodes on both channels - one at 10am other 4pm

Update....... well, turns out program guide is wrong, as neither episodes match what guide said would be on - watching older reruns, back when JJ wasn't quite so quick to jump on litigants - which means I'm enjoying them much more than any more current

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3

The insurance company (Geico) subpoenaed the episode, because the day after the show taping, the car owner put in a claim for damages, and she admitted on the show that she whacked on the car with a crowbar.   The crowbar incident was August 2019, and the claim was filed in September 2019.    I am ticked I can't find the case, but I'll keep looking. 

https://www.kget.com/news/crime-watch/investigators-request-judge-judy-episode-as-part-of-fraud-investigation/

• Useful 3
On 6/7/2021 at 2:58 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Who wants to see the very first episode? What a difference. I doubt they had a single Springer-type show.

Wow! Randy Douthit still executive producer. Doug Llewelyn producer. Different announcer, and a young Byrd.

• Love 2

I have heard a date about the new show air date.   Also, I'm wondering when the two hours of reruns will end on my local channel?   So far it's still listed on my cable guid a couple of weeks out, but I'm guessing that eventually the line up will change, and JJ will disappear.  

They stopped filming months ago, and after that we had some rather boring cases, and I think some of the 'new' ones at the end were pieced together, and didn't make the first run ones.     I bet by October, the lineup will change to some ridiculous talk show I won't even care about, since that's what happened to Hot Bench, in some markets.    JJ was not happy, and that's when she stipped having anything to do with the original show.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

JJ has been my go-to show at 4PM for the last decade, at least.  It has been syndicated on my local CBS channel forever, and I dread the day that it gets taken off their schedule when they run out of new shows (if they haven't already) and/or they find a replacement for that time slot. 

It will be surreal to no longer sit down and get my 2-hour JJ fix.

• Love 4
On 9/7/2021 at 7:14 PM, badhaggis said:

Has there been any word on when her new show will air?

Just posted on Deadline.

Her new show will premier November 1st.

Looks like Bird isn't coming along. Guess he's retiring to do his crosswords full time?

Joining Judge Judy on the IMDb TV Original series are bailiff Kevin Roscoe, court stenographer Whitney Kumar and Sarah Rose, a law clerk who also happens to be Judge Sheindlin’s granddaughter.

I'm wondering where they will do the filming?  If it's in Florida, Officer Byrd probably wouldn't be interested, he's permanently in California.     

So, JJ is filming in California, but Officer Byrd won't be there?   I'm sad.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2021 at 3:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering where they will do the filming?  If it's in Florida, Officer Byrd probably wouldn't be interested, he's permanently in California.       I wonder if JJ has  built her own studio, and offices near where she lives?    

They’re filming in California. Byrd said he’d be honored if Judy asked him to be on the new show but apparently she didn’t. New bailiff, a stenographer and her granddaughter as “law clerk.”

• Love 1

Looks like it's still Judge Judy, but she's back on the bench. The courtroom is obviously at COVID distancing for the audience though; more like Judge Mathis in that respect. (TPC and Hot Bench are still running empty). 

Not sure the point of the stenographer is; JJ has often said "We can rewind the tape to show what you just said." If that was really relevant, she would actually rewind the tape and hit them with that. Having it come from a stenographer is just a waste. 

Ditto for her grand daughter as a law clerk. I get the feeling JJ will probably bend the cases to give them a reason to do things and that is about it. Maybe she's looking to try and get some of the Hot Bench synergy, but doesn't want to share the bench, so she'll have 3 regulars to bounce snark off of, instead of constantly using Byrd as her example. 

Sad that Byrd is the last to leave the JJ courtroom after all those years. I hope he just decided to retire after all those years, and left on his terms, and wasn't left hanging by Judy. The bailiff is the only one of the crew that really has a point to be there as we've seen through the decades. 

In any case, I'm not getting another streaming service and I'm not even sure if it is available in Canada; I might tune in if I think of it; but probably not unless it hits my cable service.

• Love 2

I read that Officer Byrd wanted to be on the new show.     

I looked at the clip, and wasn't impressed.    It seemed less like a court show, and more like a roast of the litigants.  I hope they change the award pool to where only the winning side gets money, so the losing side gets zero (my understanding is that if the winner is awarded $1,000, that the other $4,000 is split evenly between the two litigants).     I think if you lose, you shouldn't get money.   Maybe that would discourage the ones that seem to be signing up for the show to get money, and it's not a real court case. 

Imdb TV is supposed to be free, and all you need to do is set up an account with them.    

I did search, and supposedly you can't get IMDB TV outside of the U.S.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 10/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Imdb TV is supposed to be free, and all you need to do is set up an account with them.    

IMDB is free. Comes up easily on a Smart TV. I have been watching movies and shows for months. Just had to give them my email address. Easy peasy. Is not commercial free and I don't think you can fast forward past the ads. 

In addition to Judge Judy, IMDB is creating a new show for Jeff Lewis from Flipping Out. I wonder if IMDB will be creating a lot of original content like Netflix. 

• Love 3

I did search, and supposedly you can't get IMDB TV outside of the U.S.

It looks like IMDB TV was just made available in the UK last week. I'm not sure if they have access to everything the US does though or will be able to watch JJ's new show when it starts.

• Love 2

I read that Officer Byrd wanted to be on the new show.     

If that is correct (not questioning Crazyinalabam, just the source he read is of unknown reliability) I am disappointed in JJ as a person. If Byrd was sick of the show that would be fine but this sounds like a slap in the face to a loyal co-worker for decades, one who added significantly to the attraction of the show. Given that I have recently starting to get tired of cranky and often arbitrary JJ, I would be interested in a new show "Officer Byrd". Same set up (without JJ), just Byrd and stupid and or annoying litigants, with Byrd allowed to occasionally slap the crap out of the worst litigants.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Byrd's wife has been sick. JJ told him his salary was too much, but he sounded like he might've taken a lower one.

Her mentioning his salary being too much when asked if he was going to be a part of her new show was extremely hypocritical and rude considering how much she made over the years from original recipe JJ. She had some nerve peddling that salary excuse especially knowing what he had going in his personal life at the time with his wife being ill and that even with insurance they probably had medical bills associated with it all.

While Byrd was on with JJ for all the years of her original show I doubt he banked anywhere near what she did. I didn't know his wife had been a producer on the show. From the linked EW article you can tell he was really hurt personally not being asked back. The quotes below from that article really hit me feeling wise. JJ chose a really shitty and insensitive way to let him know he wouldn't be included.

"I don't think she understood how confused and dismayed I was after being there for 25 years, from the beginning of her career, and not being at least given the opportunity to say whether or not I wanted to continue that relationship."

"I'm like if I did something wrong or offended you or brought shame to the show, or if was involved in numerous scandals in the 25 years we were together, I might understand why you didn't want to bother in the end," says Byrd.

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Jaded said:

Her mentioning his salary being too much when asked if he was going to be a part of her new show was extremely hypocritical and rude considering how much she made over the years from original recipe JJ. She had some nerve peddling that salary excuse especially knowing what he had going in his personal life at the time with his wife being ill and that even with insurance they probably had medical bills associated with it all.

While Byrd was on with JJ for all the years of her original show I doubt he banked anywhere near what she did. I didn't know his wife had been a producer on the show. From the linked EW article you can tell he was really hurt personally not being asked back. The quotes below from that article really hit me feeling wise. JJ chose a really shitty and insensitive way to let him know he wouldn't be included.

I was curious about the new show. I am decidedly less interested due to this. Watching Byrd's reactions to cases was half the fun of watching the show. I did not worry about things getting out of hand either. He always stepped in when tempers were rising.

Her nastiness increasing over the years isn't doing much for my interest either. This is really poor form from Judge Judy.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, badhaggis said:

This is really poor form from Judge Judy.

Totally agree. They worked together for 25 years on the show, plus the time they worked together in the NYC courts. The very least she could have done is proactively tell him "Unfortunately there won't be a role for you on the new show," rather than being a weasel and waiting for him to approach her about it.

• Love 10

Yeah with her new show on a streaming service, I was already ambivalent about following her to it. 

But now, hearing about how she treated Officer Byrd's loyalty for 25+ years; I'm done. I'll leave JJ repeats recording on my PVR, but there ain't no Justice for Judy for me. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Taeolas said:

Yeah with her new show on a streaming service, I was already ambivalent about following her to it. 

But now, hearing about how she treated Officer Byrd's loyalty for 25+ years; I'm done. I'll leave JJ repeats recording on my PVR, but there ain't no Justice for Judy for me. 

I love how you put that.    It exactly explained why I'm not interested in her new show, and why after seeing the preview, I'm not even going to bother signing up for the free streaming service.   

• Love 4
On 10/9/2021 at 9:29 AM, badhaggis said:

This is really poor form from Judge Judy.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, MerBearStare said:

Totally agree. They worked together for 25 years on the show, plus the time they worked together in the NYC courts. The very least she could have done is proactively tell him "Unfortunately there won't be a role for you on the new show," rather than being a weasel and waiting for him to approach her about it.

^^^This. And the fact that this all went down while his wife was being treated for a brain tumor is next level cold. 

• Love 5

I have no interest in this version of the show. It smells like an opportunity to get her grandaughter air time. There's no reason a law clerk needs to be sitting right there. There was also no reason to announce that it's her grand daughter unless this is an attempt to get exposure.

The court reporter being there is dated and silly for a television program, especially one in which she has played back audio in the courtroom exactly one time that I remember (the Yeet girl who threw a girl's backpack and her computer got broken). Somehow, I'm guessing there will be a lot of need for "readbacks" now that they're paying a court reporter.

Saw an interview with Byrd and he said his wife asked him if he had heard anything about being part of the new show and that he should contact JJ. He said he texted her and as usual, she called him back right away. He asked her if he was going to be part of the show and he said there was a pause and she said, "You priced yourself out." He was dismayed because no one offered him anything or even spoke to him so how did he outprice himself?

It really left a bad taste in my mouth. I won't be watching it. It's a vehicle for her probable favorite granddaughter to get on television.

Here is the interview: 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I have no interest in this version of the show. It smells like an opportunity to get her grandaughter air time. There's no reason a law clerk needs to be sitting right there. There was also no reason to announce that it's her grand daughter unless this is an attempt to get exposure.

The court reporter being there is dated and silly for a television program, especially one in which she has played back audio in the courtroom exactly one time that I remember (the Yeet girl who threw a girl's backpack and her computer got broken). Somehow, I'm guessing there will be a lot of need for "readbacks" now that they're paying a court reporter.

There's a part of me that thinks her granddaughter being on the show isn't just for exposure. I think she's also there to add support to fill in any gaps that may occur during cases which would also make the addition of a court reporter in this day and age. I might watch the first episode just to see how this new setup is supposed to actually work out of curiosity. 

JJ has all the money in the world at this point. I would have happily retired after the original show ended. It's her life though. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I might watch the first episode just to see how this new setup is supposed to actually work out of curiosity. 

Not for me, the way she shitted on Byrd tells me that I don't want anything to do with her.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

Not for me, the way she shitted on Byrd tells me that I don't want anything to do with her.

That's why I said I might. I probably won't remember it being on anyway.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2021 at 9:47 PM, Jaded said:

make the addition of a court reporter in this day and age. I might watch the first episode just to see how this new setup is supposed to actually work out of curiosity. 

How has JJ made it for all these years with no court reporter and now all of a sudden she needs one?  Is there going to be a jury where one is needed to read back testimony or an appeals process where an accurate record of the first trial is needed?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

How has JJ made it for all these years with no court reporter and now all of a sudden she needs one?  Is there going to be a jury where one is needed to read back testimony or an appeals process where an accurate record of the first trial is needed?

Totally agree. I think it is a combo of trying to make the show appear refreshed and also to appear like a real courtroom. Of course, in a real courtroom in which recording and cameras are not allowed, the court reporter has utility. On television it seems more of a prop that will be unnecessarily used to project some kind of realism. I can envison a scenario which under the old system she'd yell, "I have a tape!" Now she'lls say, "Myra (or whatever the reporter's name it), read that back," followed by giving a death glare to the litigant.

It's the same with the granddaughter law clerk. She'll ask her to explain "that machine" or some other crap which she never needed anyone on air to do and will be a waste of time. I don't think I've ever watched an episode and thought, "Hmm, never heard of that. Let me Google it." If she asks the grand daughter to explain things like "the four corners of this contract," then it's just for exposure as she did just fine explaining things to people for the eternity that she was on TV. 

Still feel bad for how she treated Byrd. At least be proactive by calling him and saying the typical, "We're moving in a different direction." He certainly deserved some courtesy there. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, configdotsys said:

and also to appear like a real courtroom.

We can all think of cases she decided to use her own "logic" and forget the law.   As in (paraphrased) "you bought this property for $100 and sold it for $10,000. You made a profit.  Forget that your tenants destroyed it and it will cost you $5,000 to fix it."

• Love 3
On 10/24/2021 at 6:59 AM, parrotfeathers said:

We can all think of cases she decided to use her own "logic" and forget the law.   As in (paraphrased) "you bought this property for $100 and sold it for $10,000. You made a profit.  Forget that your tenants destroyed it and it will cost you $5,000 to fix it."

"You were going to have to replace the carpet an-neeee-way. You were going to have to repaint it an-neeee-way."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Taeolas said:

It feels like the backlash from letting Byrd go has sunk in. 

Amazon is making a new "Hot Bench" like show featuring 2 Hot Bench judges, and with Byrd as the Bailiff. 

Judges DiMango and Acker were snagged from Hot Bench when their contracts expired this season. Hot Bench is getting 2 new judges to join Corieero. (I'll repost this over in the Hot Bench thread as well). 

I love this!    I always liked DiMango and Acker better, but never liked either male judge they were with.     I love that Officer Byrd will be back.     JJ's husband's show was cancelled too, I wonder if they'll try to recruit Judge Jerry?   

• Love 1
On 4/28/2022 at 3:59 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love this!    I always liked DiMango and Acker better, but never liked either male judge they were with.     I love that Officer Byrd will be back.     JJ's husband's show was cancelled too, I wonder if they'll try to recruit Judge Jerry?   

The Judge Jerry show that was cancelled was one hosted by Jerry Springer not JJ's husband Jerry.

I only realized a few days ago that JJ's new multi judge show Tribunal will feature her son. I somehow missed that when the article above was first posted a couple months ago. I was reading Byrd's wiki page about his and his wife's web show where it mentioned the new job on Tribunal along with the mention of JJ's son.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

The Judge Jerry show that was cancelled was one hosted by Jerry Springer not JJ's husband Jerry.

I only realized a few days ago that JJ's new multi judge show Tribunal will feature her son. I somehow missed that when the article above was first posted a couple months ago. I was reading Byrd's wiki page about his and his wife's web show where it mentioned the new job on Tribunal along with the mention of JJ's son.

Oops!   I didn't realize it was Jerry Springer.    Or know it was JJ's son coming to Tribunal. 

• Love 2

For Judge Judy purists - Pluto TV is launching the Judge Judy Channel this month.  Right now her reruns are featured on "Courtroom", which also has reruns of Hot Bench, Judge Mills Lane and Nancy Grace's "Swift Justice".  This new channel will be solely devoted to her.

I'm curious to see if Judge Jerry Scheindlin is sent over to Hot Bench and it'll be two men and one woman jurist on that show.  

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

I'm curious to see if Judge Jerry Scheindlin is sent over to Hot Bench and it'll be two men and one woman jurist on that show.  

The last and I think the only time he was a presiding judge on TV was in the late 90's and early 2000's for a season or two of The Peoples Court before Marilyn Milian took over. I don't think people enjoyed him too much in that role. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

The last and I think the only time he was a presiding judge on TV was in the late 90's and early 2000's for a season or two of The Peoples Court before Marilyn Milian took over. I don't think people enjoyed him too much in that role. 

And you'd be right.  He and Ed Koch were both dreadful and both lasted two years.  Judge Marilyn has held the gig over 20 years - longer than Wapner did.  

• Love 2