Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Seeing the Light

• Start Topic

Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte transition from friendship in their 30s to life in their 50s as the revival series concludes.

Original Air Date: Feb 3rd 2022

IMDB lists this bit of trivia for the episode: "Chris Noth was set to appear in a fantasy sequence where Carrie reunites with Big while visiting Paris' Pont des Arts bridge to scatter his ashes, but the creative team decided to cut the scene after sexual assault accusations against Noth surfaced."

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3

Interesting choice of words. From "friendship" in their 30s to "life" (not friendship!) in their 50s. This series has already made it clear that each woman has put down roots in a new circle of friends - Carrie with Seema, Charlotte with LTW and the school mom crew, Miranda with Che (ugh) and Nya I guess? I wonder if this is hinting that the three will go their separate ways. It would make sense if this episode is truly the end of the series - we will be left to believe they each end up drifting to new lives with new friends 

Spoiler

and, in Miranda's case, going on tour with Che, based on the trailer for next week's episode  

but it makes less sense if they are planning a season 2. As has been said on other posts, the best scenes are the ones where the three of them (+Seema, +Anthony) are chatting over drinks or a meal, so it would be a strange choice given the negative reaction to the series so far. 

I feel like there is so much to tie up in this last episode - whether there is a season 2 or not - and I don't think the writers are up to the task.

• Love 6

Based on the episode preview (and some memory of set photos that leaked during filming) my predix are:

• Spoiler

• In that courtyard wedding scene Carrie is attending the wedding of her co-host podcast and his designer girlfriend
    • It's here that Carrie meets the character Isaac Powell will play (George?) -- he's a fashion student (like Carrie's podcast co-host's girlfriend, possibly now wife) so the association makes sense. He'll turn out to be the person wearing the elaborate hat at the restaurant scene that opened episode 1 who Carrie surreptitiously photographed and posted to her Insta.
    • I think he'll turn out to be a budding hat designer and Carrie decides to fund his vision/brand with money she inherited from Big. That's why we've seen her in so, so much headwear this season - to plant the seed for that.
    • Miranda seems to have to choose (for some reason) between an internship and Che. We also saw set footage of Cynthia Nixon back with her trademark red hair, seeming to say goodbye to Brady with a roller suitcase in hand. My spec: being seated with Che's abuela at that event makes Miranda realize how old she looks so she dyes her hair again, and maybe foregoes whatever internship Nya is talking about to go out on the road with Che? Stupid choice (by both of them) so I hope that's wrong, but it's what I'm thinking for now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, mstar1125 said:

Reveal spoiler

and, in Miranda's case, going on tour with Che, based on the trailer for next week's episode  

but it makes less sense if they are planning a season 2. As has been said on other posts, the best scenes are the ones where the three of them (+Seema, +Anthony) are chatting over drinks or a meal, so it would be a strange choice given the negative reaction to the series so far. 

I feel like there is so much to tie up in this last episode - whether there is a season 2 or not - and I don't think the writers are up to the task.

I cannot tell you how much I am going to hate that spoiler.

If there is a season two and they swap out Miranda for Seema, LTW, Nyla or just about anyone I could live with that.

• Love 9

I saw a preview over on Reddit.

Needless to say, I want to punch Miranda. God, please get this insufferable character off my screen.

eta: If you go back to the end of episode 9, the preview is now up.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, mstar1125 said:

Interesting choice of words. From "friendship" in their 30s to "life" (not friendship!) in their 50s. This series has already made it clear that each woman has put down roots in a new circle of friends - Carrie with Seema, Charlotte with LTW and the school mom crew, Miranda with Che (ugh) and Nya I guess? I wonder if this is hinting that the three will go their separate ways. It would make sense if this episode is truly the end of the series - we will be left to believe they each end up drifting to new lives with new friends 

I wouldn't read too much into that. It looks like one of those "placeholder" episode descriptions that really are more of a description of the whole season/series, to keep details under wraps.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

I saw a preview over on Reddit.

Needless to say, I want to punch Miranda. God, please get this insufferable character off my screen.

I think there is going to be a line of people who want to punch Miranda. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 9

I decided to cling on hope, that Carrie decides to go to Paris and Miranda

Spoiler

with the suitcase

will end up there supporting her. 

One can dream (and vomit later over the honeymoon she and Che will probably go on instead)

Edited by Kreegah
  • Love 3

IDK why the trailer isn't up? as far as I know there isn't any rule against posting it, right? Mods If you didn't want it posted yet, just remove (not that you need my permission.lol)

Going to hide it under a spoiler tag, if possible

Spoiler

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Aulty said:

Thanks for sharing the promo, I've also attatched it to the first post. When I started the topic I couldn't find it anywhere - they took their time releasing it this time. They've also gotten pretty lazy with releasing the proper episode synopses.

I don't need to watch the episode to have my mind made up about one thing already: scattering Big's ashes in Paris, to me, falls into the same category as that creppy, artsy funeral. Apprently his life is solely defined by his relationship with Carrie.
Why would he want his ashes to take a scenic tour through Paris and not have them scattered somewhere in Nappa (did he sell is vineyard?) or near his home. Why would he want to be mourned in a stark whitebox instead of a gentlemen's club where his friends and family can raise a glas of whiskey and a cigar to his memory?

I assume Carrie, when her time comes, want's to be laid to rest near a Manolo Blahnik flagship store.

Oh good, I'm glad I didn't do anything wrong.

You are so right about Big probably not liking that  artsy fartsy lightbox memorial whateveritwas. More importantly he'd  probably much prefer his ashes to be:

1. WITH  CARRIE, possibly  with intentions of being interred  or scattered together later

2. in  a favorite place in NYC,  the city where he made his fortune and attained his status

3. at  the Napa vineyard if he found peace + beauty there  

4.  where he grew up [that's his brother who was at the memorial Carrie is telling " he died" in the promo possibly a familial burial plot / near mother  + father etc.

these writers  🙄

Did someone upthread say they saw Miranda with red hair in the meeting Che's grandmother scene? I didn't see it.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Aulty said:

I assume Carrie, when her time comes, want's to be laid to rest near a Manolo Blahnik flagship store.

No lie I'm telling my son if there is a shoe shaped urn that is what I want my ashes to be put in.

I think HBO realizes how awful this show is and not promoting the finale. 

Hang in there guys one more episode and our ten week long nightmare will be over.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I'd think Carrie would make Big's ashes into a diamond and set it in a ring or something else kind of morbidly fashionable like that, to keep it with her always. Or maybe this is just a glimpse at the dark recesses of my brain haha.

Edited by Alice Mudgarden
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Just watched the promo. 

Miranda Hobbs, you are not Lauren Conrad and she learned the hard way, on behalf of career minded women everywhere, that you always choose the internship.

omg hahahaha 'you'll always be known as the girl who ... went to Cleveland.'

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Does anyone have any insight as to why on earth in the promo Carrie is telling that man with the wavy gray hair  who is Big's older brother (who led her to her seat at the  funeral and spoke right after Miranda)

that he died?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Does anyone have any insight as to why on earth in the promo Carrie is telling that man with the wavy gray hair  who is Big's older brother (who led her to her seat at the  funeral and spoke right after Miranda)

that he died?

Well, he asks where John is, so maybe that, but I have a feeling that promo is edited and there's more context to the conversation. We'll see. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Well, he asks where John is, so maybe that, but I have a feeling that promo is edited and there's more context to the conversation. We'll see. 

It's killing me because she's looking right in his eyes like she's delivering the news for the first time.

I know I know... I'm just in disbelief.

Being as he is Big's brother and he was at the memorial and he spoke,

When he asks where's John? why does Carrie say he died?  Instead of he's in my closet while I'm deciding where he would have wanted to spend eternity?

and of course he replies I know John he died. Where are his  remains?

It's just more crappy writing IMO.

Edited by T Summer
added word
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

Saw the promo.  I just want to know one thing … WhereTF is Aiden?  I thought he was supposed to make an appearance somewhere.   Did I blink and miss it?

Prior to the premiere John Corbett teased that he thought he would be in "quite a few" episodes, but that may have been a fake-out PR move to get viewers excited, although it's annoying if he deliberately lied about it.

This article published January 30 asks if he'll be in the finale.

I expected to see him once, maybe a brief encounter on the street where he tells Carrie he heard about Big and wishes her well. Maybe he could be with a grown up kid, mirroring when she saw him with a baby in one episode. That would have been poignant and the kind of thing fans are looking for. Didn't he and Steve co-own the bar when it opened? Did we see something in the show or films where he sold his share? I've been puzzled that there's been no mention of him at all.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

Prior to the premiere John Corbett teased that he thought he would be in "quite a few" episodes, but that may have been a fake-out PR move to get viewers excited, although it's annoying if he deliberately lied about it.

I'm not entirely sure we won't see him in the finale.   It would just be like this show to have Carrie see  him somewhere and have that be the end of the episode.   One thing they better not do (I can't remember which poster originally said this) is have Carrie leave Paris for London.  Letting us believe she is going to see Samantha.  If we can't have Kim Cattrall then Carrie doesn't get Samantha. 

• Love 12
21 hours ago, T Summer said:

that he died?

Oh, it's just what she says to everybody these days.

I wonder what will Carries answer be to Miranda about her big choice over scholarship and "love"?

• Love 4

I really can't believe they're going to have Carrie go to Paris to release Big's ashes, but I guess that's what was hinted at when it was written somewhere that they're omitting  the scenes with a  look back at Carrie and Big together in Paris  because of the allegations  made against Chris Noth. Seems the flashbacks were going to accompany Carrie releasing his ashes there?

If Carrie was in Paris, perhaps for  some other reason... I could see her calling Samantha in London and suggesting a make up / meet up  and going on a celebratory Paris shopping spree together.  ...but again, Kim Catrall was too smart to get involved in this mess.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, T Summer said:

If Carrie was in Paris, perhaps for  some other reason... I could see her calling Samantha in London and suggesting a make up / meet up  and going on a celebratory Paris shopping spree together.  ...but again, Kim Catrall was too smart to get involved in this mess.

Would Aleksander still be alive in this timeline? Maybe all this Aidan fake-out is really for a surprise Aleksander sighting in Paris. 

I know it's not meant to be, but I still feel kind of cheated that there was never any more Berger/Carrie interaction after that post-it note. I mean, doesn't Carrie brag about how small Manhattan is, and she always runs into a lot of exes because she's dated "about a million of them"? Berger is like the third serious relationship of Carrie in SATC. I know he doesn't have a lot of fans out there, but I am more curious than anything how they would write an eventual awkward reunion.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

Would Aleksander still be alive in this timeline? Maybe all this Aidan fake-out is really for a surprise Aleksander sighting in Paris. 

I know it's not meant to be, but I still feel kind of cheated that there was never any more Berger/Carrie interaction after that post-it note. I mean, doesn't Carrie brag about how small Manhattan is, and she always runs into a lot of exes because she's dated "about a million of them"? Berger is like the third serious relationship of Carrie in SATC. I know he doesn't have a lot of fans out there, but I am more curious than anything how they would write an eventual awkward reunion.

IDK if I were Carrie if I'd ever care to see Alex again, that could be pretty awkward for both of them. I hadn't even thought of it, though. 🤔

Berger 😝never cared for him.

I didn't think much of the teacher the first time they met up, but I actually teared up when Carrie hugged him instead of shaking his hand. They might be good together and they're shown kissing in the finale promo.

15 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

One thing they better not do (I can't remember which poster originally said this) is have Carrie leave Paris for London.  Letting us believe she is going to see Samantha.  If we can't have Kim Cattrall then Carrie doesn't get Samantha. 

Thats probably exactly what's gonna happen - and with a Carrie voiceover mentioning how important this Paris bridge was to her life and that she is off to London to repair another one. 🙄

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Aulty said:

Thats probably exactly what's gonna happen - and with a Carrie voiceover mentioning how important this Paris bridge was to her life and that she is off to London to repair another one. 🙄

Apparently the possible Season 2 hasn't been written yet, so I say, "Don't do it, Kim!"

ETA: Looks like I don't have to worry. MPK says he accepts that KC shut the door, but he realized that Samantha can continue to appear via text. 

I'm hoping that if they do continue to have Samantha texts in S2 that they at have her and Carrie "make up" in the interim and stop this ridiculous shit about how Samantha's "pride got damaged" over Carrie letting her go as her PR person.

With the decision to cut the Big flashback, I wonder if the writers and editor revised any story lines we've been complaining about in order to fill that space.

Edited by RedHawk
Additional info
  • Love 2
On 2/1/2022 at 4:56 PM, slowpoked said:

In my fanfic, Berger is in LA writing afterschool special scripts with Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn 😉

Aside from the points made above… I didn’t think this episode was SO bad. It did make me wish that we had seen Che as a different KIND of performer. I kind of enjoyed the hammy singing performance. Certainly more believable than their stand up (did they rewrite that so that we got the line about not being subjected to their routine?). Che also didn’t come off quite as cocky. Don’t worry. I still find the whole storyline WAY far fetched and am still incredulous about how they changed Miranda’s character.

If this series accomplished anything for me, it was the improvement of Anthony’s character. He was still completely recognizable from the original series, but they warmed him up a bit and made him a caring but no-nonsense dispenser of advice. He felt authentic. 

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, bobbyjoe said:

And what was up with both Rock and the rabbi?  Rock needed Anthony to fly back in and say “get your butt out there you whiny little creep. Everybody had responsibilities and sometimes you do a thing just because it makes somebody you love feel happy.”  Everything is not all about you.  I liked Rock up until this point, but in this episode they felt like “Miranda Jr.”  And the rabbi— who I liked and wouldn’t mind seeing again— really needed a good dose of “mind your own damn business” in the bathroom scene.

Thank you! I'm sorry but Rock is a brat and the rabbi was a buttinski. 

I've also never been to a bar/bat mitzvah where the party was before the ceremony. 

Miranda came across as she has most of this season as a mean, small-minded jerk.  There’s a real difference in thinking of your self and your needs and only thinking of your own self and your own needs.  I think CN and the writers really need to learn the difference between self-realization and just plain narcissism.  

Miranda getting all judgmental at Carrie believing in heaven - because they've always been alike in disbelieving such things - just smacked of self-centered narcissism. Hey Miranda/Cynthia, your entire storyline was 'I'm allowed to change, how dare anyone judge me.' Well Carrie's husband died and she's allowed to grieve in whatever way brings her comfort/closure.

Miranda and Che can run away to California and never be heard from again, for all I care.

Just now, TakomaSnark said:

Thank you! I'm sorry but Rock is a brat and the rabbi was a buttinski. 

I've also never been to a bar/bat mitzvah where the party was before the ceremony. 

Miranda getting all judgmental at Carrie believing in heaven - because they've always been alike in disbelieving such things - just smacked of self-centered narcissism. Hey Miranda/Cynthia, your entire storyline for ten episodes was 'I'm allowed to change, how dare anyone judge me.' Well Carrie's husband died and she's allowed to grieve in whatever way brings her comfort/closure.

Miranda and Che can run away to California and never be heard from again, for all I care.

Oops, I somehow quoted myself in a new post - sorry!

1 minute ago, TakomaSnark said:

Oops, I somehow quoted myself in a new post - sorry!

• Love 19